[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Kill an important character to detract the audience's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: J.J.-R.R.jpg (86 KB, 574x322) Image search: [Google]
J.J.-R.R.jpg
86 KB, 574x322
>Kill an important character to detract the audience's attention from your lack of ideas.

Is this a thing now?
>>
THIS
exactly what I thought as it happened

Killing Han carried 0 emotional weight, other than 4th wall breaking emotion of like "waaaah I grew up with Han Solo toys, how can they kill my childhood friend"

If you ignore that Han Solo is a big piece of pop culture, his death means NOTHING to the script.

By the end of episode 6 he's done being a smuggler and has become more of a family man. He helps out his friends and the rebellion instead of being selfish. He stops bickering with Leia and they fall in love.
Then Jew Jew doesn't know how to continue that story so he UNWRITES Han Solos character arch. In episode 7 Han is exactly who he was in episode 4. A scum bag smuggler who owes people money, and bickers with Leia.

Then he gets killed by his evil son.
What a great epilogue for a character who already had his arch.

BRAVO
SUCH EMOTION
>>
>>64239590
>>64239451
Harrison wanted this. He's been wanting this. You don't deny Harrison what he wants. That part is not J.J.'s fault. Everything else though...
>>
>>64239451
>>64239590
>>64239639

Harrison said he wouldn't do another movie. So at that point, you MIGHT AS WELL kill the character off and squeeze the maximum emotion that you can get out of the character before he leaves.

If Han didn't die, then people would be asking "Where's Han" when he doesn't show up in the next movie.

Fun Fact: Harrison has said in the past that he think's Han should have died in ROTJ.
>>
>>64239741
>>64239639
What does Harrison Ford not wanting to be in the movies anymore have to do with unwriting his character arch?
The SW OT is a monomyth. Han Solo was a very clearly flawed character, who ends up redeeming his flaws by the end, and becomes a better person.
He's literally doing everything that he was doing in A New Hope in this movie.
How is that justified?
They could have killed him, but it didn't have to be backpedaling and lacking any kind of emotional weight to the main characters.
>>
>>64239451
He killed an important character because that's what they did in A New Hope, and he copied that script for his Star Wars.
>>
>>64239856
pretty much. ANH mixed with a few pieces of ESB and ROTJ.
>>
>>64239590

His death is central to the story of Kylo Ren you utter tool. Killing Solo marks when he turns from an edgemaster into a true sith.
>>
>>64239818

How did they "undo" his arc? He was trying to take responsibility and save his son. The Han from "A New Hope" would never have risked his own life to save Ben, but the Han from ROTJ would. It's completely consistent with his character development, really.
>>
>>64239590
exactly what i was hinking even the same fucking clothes man seriously? hilarious, people take serius this shit
>>
>>64239451
>67 years old
>Still does shows
I think hell be fine
>>
>>64239933
Yes he would have... Saving your own son is different from helping random people overthrow your government.
What the actual fuck?
He was out being a smuggler, and not helping the resistance. He owes debts. Leia tells Han to stop talking for no reason other than "classic Han and Leia bickering from ANH :^)"

I shouldn't need to elaborate.
>>
>>64240043

There are plenty of reasons why Han could have written Ben off as being beyond saving, but instead he chose to put himself in mortal danger to try, however slim the odds of success. "A New Hope" Han would not have done that.
>>
>>64240042
stahp
>>
>tfw harrison forced a shitty plot
>>
>>64239590
They undid everything.
>Empire gone
>new identicial Empire called New World Order
>Rebellion gone
>new rebellion called Resistance
The movie is a 90% remake of a New Hope so it's logical that they would do that.
>>
>>64240459
I can agree then that's the ONE thing he did in line with his character arch. How do you justify the rest though?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.