[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apparently the top ten worst films for whitewashing in recent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 32
File: whitepeople.png (1 MB, 863x763) Image search: [Google]
whitepeople.png
1 MB, 863x763
Apparently the top ten worst films for whitewashing in recent years

1. Gods of Egypt
2 Avatar: The Last Airbender
3. Dragonball Evolution
4. Lone Ranger
5. Exodus: Gods and Kings, 6. Noah, and 7. The Passion of the Christ
8. Star Trek Into Darkness
9. Prince of Persia
10. Panned

>There is no reason for anyone to still be casting white people in nonwhite roles. And every time this happens, there are complaints. And the responses are always that they cast “the best person” for the role. But that usually just means the most famous name they can get.

>And since the status quo is that those are white people, the roles always end up being whitewashed. It is way past time for this practice to stop.
>>
>white person plays a black character
ANGRY! YOU'RE RACIST IF YOU DON'T CARE!
>black person plays a white character
HAPPY! YOU'RE RACIST IF YOU CARE!
>>
It's called acting.

Is a Native American actor only allowed to play Native American roles and nothing else?
>>
File: aang-9.jpg (42 KB, 736x748) Image search: [Google]
aang-9.jpg
42 KB, 736x748
>>64231728
>2 Avatar: The Last Airbender
>white skin
>large eyes

Looks Caucasian to me. Of course, it's a fantasy setting where real world races don't exist, but Caucasian is the race he'd be in the real world.
>>
>Star Trek Into Darkness
Because Khan was played by Cucumbersnatch? He was originally played by Ricardo Montalban, who is a beaner. It was never an Asian role.

The Liberal mind is a sick mind.
>>
How about top 10 examples of jewwashing?
>>
> 10 movies you never watched
>>
>>64231728
It's no coincidence that all these movies are fucking awful.
>>64231783
That's the wrong way to go about it and people who actually say these things are ignorant. Gender-blind casting is gender-blind casting, simple as that. The real issue is that more original characters/roles need to be created that can be played by non-white actors without someone complaining. Another real issue is that Hollywood needs to start casting unknown actors and actresses instead of the same two dozen white faces that need multi-million dollar paychecks just to keep the industry afloat (which it will never do). People are sick of seeing Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt and Christian Bale in multiple movies every fucking year, and for good reason. Think about how many hours of your life you've spent staring at the faces of the same handful of people. Now think about how many people there on this planet, and how many of them are genuine, talented actors who just want a chance at recognition. Isn't it absurd?
>>
>>64231933
Those eyes are pretty clearly chinky m8.
>>
>>64231933
Stylization=/=race

Airbenders were based on Tibet.
>>
>>64232017

>When the name of the villain is “Khan Noonien Singh” and you cast Benedict Cumberbatch to play him, you’ve done something very wrong. Especially when that character was etched into the public consciousness by the performance of Ricardo Montalbán. To be fair, having a Mexican actor play a Sikh character in the first place was an odd notion—but that was a long time ago, and if anything, this feels like a step backwards.

ITS 2015 basically theyre excuse for dancing around the Montalban subject
>>
>>64232099
why doesnt this apply to live action.
>>
File: clearexampleofblackwashing.jpg (62 KB, 600x350) Image search: [Google]
clearexampleofblackwashing.jpg
62 KB, 600x350
>>64232133
So the canonically established race of a character isn't whats important, its their name.

Reminder that any role with a white name is a white role! Not so fast, Toby. Should have stuck with Kunta Kinte!
>>
>>64231933
I think the bigger problem with that film was Katara and Sokka who went from vaguely inuit to very white. This was mostly due to Katara's actress being nepotismed into the role and her brother having to match. Then to maintain some semblance of diversity, Dev Patel was cast except he was playing the villain so the good guys got whiter and the bad guys got darker. It was overall just a mess and entirely Katara's actress's dad's fault.
>>
>>64232049
I'm Korean living in Korea.

They are not.
>>
>>64232270
I'm white living in Canada. My eyes don't look slanty like that, chink.
>>
>>64231728
i dont understand this, egyptian deities need to be specifically brown even though not all egyptians are, but in thor there's a black and an asian god? don't even get me started on the fictional worlds where there isn't even an asia like dragon ball and avatar
>>
How was Dragonball Evolution "whitewashing"? Goku was an alien.
>>
>Porch monkeys

kek
>>
the big joke here is this shitty airbender show is originally made by weeboos right?
>>
Nobody ever talk about blackwashing
please forgive me Elba sempai, just making a point
>>
>>64232256
Sokka and Katara have large, blue eyes. The Inuit have small eyes, never in the color blue (race-mixing aside).

Again, it's a fantasy world where real world races don't exist. These characters aren't Caucasian or Inuit, they're "Southern Water Tribe." Southern Water Tribe doesn't exist in the real world.
>>
>>64231728
JESUS WAS WHITE
>>
>I’m giving an honorable mention to Cloud Atlas—which is only left off this list because putting actors in yellow face is something even worse than whitewashing.

So they wanted them to recast the roles just for the Asian storyline?

Did they not understand what the film was going for with the actors being in every story?
>>
>>64232299
My eyes don't look like Aang's. Asian eyes don't look like that. The only people whose eyes look like Aang's are white people.
>>
>>64231728
>Goku
>jap
He's a fucking Saiyan
>>
>>64232452
well guess what friendo, atleast 60% of all offended people are white fags offended for others
>>
>>64231728
dragonball maybe the rest are just reaching
>>
>>64232317
>humanwashing
That's even worse senpai, ayylmaos representation is an issue and you're a part of the problem tbqh...
>>
>>64232017

I was okay with Cumberbatch as Khan for the sole reason that making him non-white would not only have ruined the twist of his identity, but before people knew who the character was, all we would have heard was "white good guy + colored evil guy = racism!!!!"
>>
>>64232389

This, I wonder what would happen if I created an article about the ten worst examples of Blackwashing in films and see what happens

Id be the one being lynched for once
>>
>>64231728
what was the whitewashing in Into Darkness?
>>
>>64232601
But that could easily be fixed by making Kirk black!
>>
>>64232523
I know.
>>
>>64232580
there are no asians in dragon ball because there is no asia. same goes for avatar
>>
>>64232739
Goku isn't even from the planet Earth and is in fact a Saiyajin or Saiyan.
>>
>>64232099
>Stylization
So they cast an actor with larger eyes for "stylization" reasons.
>>
>>64232038
>he gets tired of seing the Dubsman several times every year
hotheads pls go away
>>
>>64232629

People are assuming that Khan is Indian due to the name I think.

But are disregarding that a latino man played him in the past
>>
>>64232389
Idris bitched and moaned about the filming process for those movies. Fuck him. WOE IS ME, TRULY IT IS A FATE WORSE THAN DEATH TO BE MAKING A STEADY PAYCHECK STARRING IN CAPESHIT. Black people finally make it in the world and they still find shit to complain about.
>>
>>64232099
>>64231933
All Japanese cartoons and comics have white looking characters
>>
>>64231728
What about Street Fight The Movie, were Ken and Ryu played by white actors?
>>
Does anyone have a clip from somebody complaining about white egyptian gods, who had previously praised black viking gods?

I mean, Idris Elba was great in that movie and I don't want to use him to argue about this, but come on, these arguments are bullshit
>>
>>64233259
>Japanese cartoons
Avatar: The Last Airbender is not a Japanese cartoon. It's American.

Also, not all Japanese cartoons look like that.

Also, not every character in a Japanese cartoon is Japanese or Asian. If you assume such, then you must also assume every American cartoon character is white (thus, Aang is white).
>>
Do any of these people complain about Black Annie or Black Wizard of Oz or Black Hermione?

I'm sure they don't.
>>
>>64232038
>people are sick of a seeing
No they aren't, it's why they do it
>>
>>64233690

Because that racist
>>
>>64233752
The people who are complaining are obviously sick of it. How did you come to be so retarded?
>>
>>64233496
Omg fuck off weeb no one cares
>>
>>64232629
Khan Noonien Singh was played by Bendabitch Cuminsnatch
>>
>>64231728
Avatar and Dragonball were all worse because of whitewashing though, you can try to prove me wrong but you can't. In fact this sentence is so true I will never reply to any replies to it because those are all lies.
>>
>>64231728

HOLY SHIT THIS CLICKBAIT LISTICLE MAKES ME RAGE!

I'M SURE THEY DIDN'T INTEND THIS AT ALL!!!!!
>>
>>64233954
They aren't sick of what he laid out cuck, they're sick in the head and bothered by whites

If Idris Elba were to be doing what Tom cruise has been doing they wouldn't say anything

I know this because they want him to be in everything
>>
File: 2FbYZ6a.png (635 KB, 610x681) Image search: [Google]
2FbYZ6a.png
635 KB, 610x681
>>64231728
>>64232389
>>
>>64231728
FUCKING CLICK BAIT
REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>64232629

Khan. As far as I can tell, the original character was played by a latino, but was supposed to be Indian, more specifically, half muslim half sikh. I guess its because of how star trek assumes racemixing is a given in the future, or ignorance.

And then they got one of the whitest dudes ever to play him.
>>
>>64234096
One is literally the equivalent of slavery
The other is highly progressive

Don't you know what the current year is?
>>
>>64231728
>blackz were kingz'n sheet
>this week there were some news about Roman artifacts being found in America, but I'm pretty sure black man was there first
Why don't we have historical epics about black history? Why don't we have black fantasy authors? I mean I remember reading some book about myths and legends from across the world when I was a kid and Africans had some pretty cool shit, surely someone could write some epic fantasy saga inspired by it?
>>
>>64231783
This.

White characters are changed to black far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far more often.
>>
>>64232629
Khan is a man from Northern India. They got the whitest guy known to mankind to play him.
>>
File: jj.jpg (45 KB, 599x408) Image search: [Google]
jj.jpg
45 KB, 599x408
>I don't know what it is, I just hate white people so much. Sometimes it is a slow burn hatred where I achieve an almost zenlike ambivalence, and other times it is a white-hot hatred where if I could push a button and kill them all I would.
>>
>>64234332
White people stole everything.
>>
File: 1442583905042.gif (2 MB, 643x539) Image search: [Google]
1442583905042.gif
2 MB, 643x539
>>64234096

>not being mad about everything.

I'm mad about the below

2 Avatar: The Last Airbender
3. Dragonball Evolution
8. Star Trek Into Darkness
9. Prince of Persia

and that the only ones I've seen on the list. Especially Star Trek, the others were shit overall too. Who thought that Cumberbatch could hold a candle up to Ricardo Montalban?
>>
>>64232133
They casted a white actor because Hollywood refuses to put people of color in villian roles (despite the fact that the vast majority of crime is committed by blacks and browns).

That's it. It was a liberal inspired move to begin with.
>>
>>64232389
Are you kidding? People bitch about that all the time. There used to be almost daily threads on the subject.
>>
>>64231728
>1. Gods of Egypt

Well, Egyptians were white, so I don't see how you can whitewash this.
>>
WE
>>
>>64234355
America - the only country in the world where the racial majority IRL isn't supposed to be the racial majority on screen.

Does Bollywood care about racial quotas? Hong Kong?
>>
Is it really white washing?

every other non white race thinks fair skin is a good trait
>>
>>64231728

>Star Trek

How so?
>>
>>64234486
WAS
>>
>>64234351

He's a vat grown genetically mutated super soldier from the far future. The colour of his skin contributes exactly zero and is completely irrelevant to his character.
>>
Why are people so damn butthurt over m night shyamalan making the fire benders into curryeaters, doesn't that make sense given that he's a curry himself too
>>
>>64234545
KINGS
>>
>>64234355
I wonder how the actors he replaced felt about getting fired for being white. Same with the white guy playing Finn who JJ fired to get more diversity. Has he ever commented on it?
>>
>>64234554
Avatar isn't Asian anyway. Leftists think it is because Kung Fu and shit, but where in the world do Asians with blue eyes live?
>>
Almost all of those movies are fucking garbage.
Noah is good. It doesnt even belong on the fucking list, because it takes place in really fucking old testament times. No one can really pinpoint what color people were.
>>
File: imar1.jpg (30 KB, 290x494) Image search: [Google]
imar1.jpg
30 KB, 290x494
>>64234332

>Why don't we have black fantasy authors?

There are, but they don't get the popularity that others get. Have you read Dhalgren? I didn't realize that Samuel R. Delany was black for a long time

Also try pic related
>>
>>64234627
Cool name.
>>
File: ...autism.jpg (75 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
...autism.jpg
75 KB, 720x540
>lol look at these SJWs getting wound up about so called whitewashing get a life
>WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU MEAN HEIMDALL IS BLACK?!?!?!?!?! FUCKING WHITE GENOCIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>64232389
I will.....here:

Jimmy Olsen
Flash
Moneypenny
Felix Leiter
Kingpin
Daddy Warbucks
Annie
The whole cast of the Wiz
The whole cast of The Honeymooners
Hermoinie
Perry White
Nick Fury
Heimdall
Spider-Man & Cap America (in comics)
Deadshot
Dr. Loomis
Will Smith's character in "I Am Legend"
Hedwig
Roland Deschain (likely)
Green Lantern

Those are some off the top of my head
>>
File: 1445064762285.png (272 KB, 599x501) Image search: [Google]
1445064762285.png
272 KB, 599x501
>>64234547
>The color of his skin contributes exactly zero and is completely irrelevant to the character
You sound like those SJWs that were calling for Spider-Man to be played by Donald Glover. Why change Khan's race when you could make a new, original white character?
>>
Question. How come to Jews diversity just equals black actors. With how important East Asian markets are now, why are Jews so opposed to hiring Asian actors for diversity? Also look at the way Jewish comedians/producers (Todd Phillips, Chuck Lorre, etc) make fun of Asians. They are the one race that are fair game to make fun off and degrade. Why do Jews have so much contempt for East Asians? They don't even allow them to satisfy AA job and college quotas.
>>
>>64234726

>nick fury
>green lantern
>hedwig

anon...
>>
>>64234791
Yes?
>>
WE
>>
>>64234554
They wanted chink qts, not POO in the LOOs
>>
>>64232133
correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't kahn simply named by the Indian doctor who created him from multiple genetic sources?
>>
>>64234859

pls explain
>>
>>64234780
Competition.
Jews fear the Samurai.
>>
>>64234780
Less stigma, meaning less "compensation" required.
>>
File: 50816766.jpg (63 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
50816766.jpg
63 KB, 480x720
>>64234764
Why care about Khan's skin color period? The original actor for his character was Spanish despite the character having a very Asian name.

Spanish is white to me.
>>
>>64234780
Getting YELLOWED isn't a popular fetish.
>>
>>64231728
>1. Gods of Egypt
>5. Exodus: Gods and Kings, 6. Noah, and 7. The Passion of the Christ

WE

WAZ

KANGS
>>
>>64234920
>>
>>64232389
>Black Heimdall

funny thing is is that Heimdall is literally described in the sagas as the most white-ass honkey in existence. Not that I care since this is some shitty marvel adaption who fuck all gives a fuck about.

Still funny though
>>
>>64234975
Yes, Ricardo Mantalbon was 100% European. He wasn't mestizo, or Indio.

So, the irony is that Khan was already played by a white man, but plebs are too fucking stupid to realize.
>>
>>64234903

No, he was named after Roddenberry's friend, Kim Noonien Singh. They fucked up making it khan, and mixing sikh and muslim names.
>>
>>64231728
I agree about Goku. They should have an african niggermerican play the main role.
>>
File: Fedora 22.jpg (235 KB, 650x488) Image search: [Google]
Fedora 22.jpg
235 KB, 650x488
>That profile pic

Bitch detected.
>>
>>64235030
>>64234975
He was heavily bronzed for the role, Khan was meant to be Superman mixture of all human races.

Anyway Mantoban's whole career was playing dangerously suave Latin lovers who's whole charm was not being "white".
>>
I don't get it, Avatar show was written by whites. It's not an Asian import or anything. Seems odd SJW's got so butthurt over whites being cast when the lead was a Native American (Noah Ringer) and half the cast were India Indians. You really must hate whites if a few white supporting actors trigger you so badly.

Also, God's of Egypt was written and directed by a Greek Egyptian, telling the story of a Greek person in Egypt. To appease people he even cast blacks as Egyptian Gods, but still had to apologize for hiring white actors to play the Greeks.

wtf?
>>
>>64235113
Are you retarded? Spain is in Europe. Latin lovers refers to the people of European ancestry, not the native Americans. French, and Italian, and Irish people have all been romanized this way and they're all white.
>>
>>64234780
Chinks are too light skinned and too many are rich and racists.
There's nothing to pity or condescend.
>>
>>64235091
If Goku and Gohan had been played by black actors, you'd hear nothing but crickets from the social justice crowd.
>>
>>64235183
ARE YOU RETARDED?
You think anyone in the 50's considered spics or Italians "white??"
Used to be non WASP = non white, you dumb fucking millennial cumstain.
>>
>>64235266
No, that's just not true. The French, the Germans, and the Irish were considered white and they are not WASPs
>>
File: 1371464073187.jpg (44 KB, 204x182) Image search: [Google]
1371464073187.jpg
44 KB, 204x182
>>64231728
>black people should be allowed to play any race or nationality because "it's just make believe"
>white people should only play white people
>>
>>64235304
Papists are worshipers of the anti-christ.
>>
>>64235113
>He was heavily bronzed for the role
For the role? No. That was just popular in Hollywood at the time, especially for an actor going by a Latin name.
>>
File: 1399777526751.png (22 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1399777526751.png
22 KB, 640x480
>>64235266
The 50's singer, Ritchie Valens, was part Native. His girlfriend was white and her parents were racist. He pretended to be Italian so they would accept him. Dark hair doesn't equal non-white, you moron. Hitler's Y chromosome was the same as 80% of Italians.
>>
>>64234975
The character is Indian, the actor was Spanish. Why not get an Indian to play an Indian character? John Abraham could have made a good Khan.
>Hurr durr why care about a characters ethnicity?
Why not let vikings get played by Asians? Why not let samurai be played by Mexicans. If Harry Potter was played by an Arab people would be freaking the fuck out.
>>
>>64231728
>no Hercules

Come on m8
>>
>>64235251
Well I mean Saiyans have monkey features.
>>
>>64233979
Weeb implies an enjoyment of Japanese cartoons

>>
>>64235266
Fun Fact: Stormfront bans users who claim Slavs/Mediterraneans/Celts aren't white. Amren bans members who claim Jews aren't white.

Who are you working for?
>>
1. Nick Fury (Marvel)
2. Heimdall (Thor)
3. Johny Storm (Fantastic 4)
4. Annie (Annie)
5. Deadshot (Suicide Squad)
6. Kingpin (Daredevil)
7. Vincent Kapoor (The Martian)
8. Karate Kid kid (Karate Kid)
9. Dr Doolittle (Dr Doolittle)
10. Other Capeshit
>>
>>64231728
>8. Star Trek Into Darkness
C'MON, KHAN AND HIS CLONES WERE THE ARYAN MASTER RACE.

ALL BLUE EYED AND BLONDE HAIRED, SUPERIOR RACE TO EVERYONE ELSE.

DID YOU EVEN WATCH THE ORIGINAL

> I'm not even angry, just typing in caps lock

> 1. Gods of Egypt
5. Exodus: Gods and Kings
Why did Egyptians invent Sunscreen? Because they're not niggers.

> 9. Prince of Persia
Since the beginning of History, the region that is modern day Iran has been influenced by Nomads, often coming from the Nordic regions. The name Iran itself is derived from ARYAN.
>>
>>64231728
>Dragonball Evolution
Are people stupid or just saying this because it's animu?

Everyone from the manga aside from Piccolo, Goku and Bulma were played by Asian actors. Piccolo was an all makeup character, so the actor's skin colour had no bearing on the character's appearance. Goku isn't even from earth, so his race is irrelevant and Bulma is from West City which is a location that has no Asian influence compared to where Grandpa Gohan, Chichi and Yamcha are from in that world.
>>
>>64235266
You do realize that Wasps make up like 8% of the population in the US. Most white people are Irish/German mix.
>>
>>64231728
who cares about any of those shit movies in the first place? white washed actors are the least thing oyu should worry about regarding most of those abominations
>>
>>64231728

Did anyone ever flip their shit when the movie white chicks came out?

It was super racist but it was against whites so I'm sure their was no outrage.
>>
>>64231728
So Dragonball is one of those films where normies don't understand the lore. ALL HUMANS (except for Yajirobe) are Chinese. Casting a Korean as a Chinese is highly offensive. Also, Goku is an alien from the planet Vegeta. There is no record indicating that he can't be white. He has blond hair and green eyes when he turns SSJ.

Fucking normies just want to bitch and complain about stupid shit.
>>
File: 1412367837779.jpg (176 KB, 530x570) Image search: [Google]
1412367837779.jpg
176 KB, 530x570
>>64231933
>>64233259

lol anime characters dont look like your typical down syndrome fat faced caucasian

try again gweilo
>>
File: onesheet.jpg (154 KB, 713x557) Image search: [Google]
onesheet.jpg
154 KB, 713x557
>>64235585
That's progress though. 100% diversity is the goal we should all strive for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtifhZCSBgk
>>
File: tumblr_nzppbmRHvx1r83d7lo1_1280.png (496 KB, 604x647) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzppbmRHvx1r83d7lo1_1280.png
496 KB, 604x647
>>64231728
What about turning white characters black?
>>
File: 1418699554029.png (314 KB, 469x474) Image search: [Google]
1418699554029.png
314 KB, 469x474
>if an actor isn't pitch black then it's whitewashed
>>
>>64235440

>John Abraham could have made a good Khan

anon no, just no. He's a much worse actor than cumberbatch.
>>
>>64235902

To be fair, the skin colour is hardly the most unbelievable part of that casting.
>>
>>64235902
Guy on the right doesn't look like Ron.
>>
>>64235921
All I'm saying if you're portraying an Indian character get an Indian actor. If you're portraying a white character get a white actor.
>>
>6. Noah, and 7. The Passion of the Christ

Why? It's a fucking biblical narrative, it's not supposed to be historical but fit the mythology. Hell Jesus is shown to be fucking Chinese in old Christian Chinese paintings. It's literally impossible to get him "right".
>>
File: 1434634399486.jpg (17 KB, 316x239) Image search: [Google]
1434634399486.jpg
17 KB, 316x239
>>64231728
If this is some Gods of Egypt conspiracy to get people interested in the movie it worked. I'm gonna see it out of spite now
>>
>>64235864
To be fair. Both are funny.

Also, on the remake... we see a white dude dating a black chick which is reverse of cucking so...
>>
>>64236066

JESUS WUZ BLACK NIGGA

WE WUZ DA KANGS OF KANGS

GOD IZ BLACK TOO

HE MADE DA WHITE MAN SO WEZ WOULD HAVE DEM FINE-ASS WHITE WOMEN TO FUCK
>>
>>64236161
Wasn't Jesus Arab?
>>
>>64232434
No, Jesus was black
>>
>Dragonball
half of the characters are alien, rest are white or a weird mix like Mr. Satan

Hell even the fucking white characters might have an extra eye or no nose, how the fuck do you whitewash that shit
>>
>>64236161
>>64236244
>>64236277
Not sure which one is more retarded.
>>
>>64231728

WEZ
WUZ
KANGZ
N
SHITZ
>>
>>64236348
well he wasnt white
>>
>>64236630
Whats white?
>>
>>64231728
>2 Avatar: The Last Airbender
>8. Star Trek Into Darkness

what?
>>
>>64236630
>>64236674

Just a fact, a lot of arabs identify as white.
>>
>>64236706
>arabs
Arabs only moved into the Levant long after the death of Christ.

Don't you into history? The whole point of Islam was its conquest of its neighbors, and the whole world. Then they met the Mongols and were utterly vanquished.
>>
>>64236706
>identify as white.
which is just as retarded as men identifying as women
>>
File: jon_stewart32.jpg (55 KB, 228x320) Image search: [Google]
jon_stewart32.jpg
55 KB, 228x320
>>64234791
>>green lantern
You know that's a separate character, right?
He's a marine where Hal was a test pilot.
They also have an Irish Guy and a Mexican/Irish artist.
>>
>>64231933
I thought it was pretty well established

>Water Nation
Inuit of some form or another
>Earth Nation
Chinese
>Air Nation
Tibetan
>Fire Nation
Japanese
>>
>>64232017
I actually was upset at them "white-washing Khan" only because they picked Cucumberpatch. The original actor was great for the role and his back story as a super human of the Asian/Pacific Island/Indian faction during the Eugenics War was cool.
>>
>>64236854
>Water Nation
White
>Earf Nation
Chinese
>Air Nation
White
>Fire Nation
Indian

Just going by the movie
>>
File: R1a1a_distribution.png (2 MB, 1338x864) Image search: [Google]
R1a1a_distribution.png
2 MB, 1338x864
>>64236926
I thought it was pretty clear that the Aryans/Khan were the bad guys next to the Jewish Multiculturalists? Or are most people retarded?
>>
>>64236706
arabs are caucasians but not white
>>
>>64237247
star trek lore
designated shitting street masterrace.
>>
>>64236023
I'm pretty sure that Ron was supposed to be the big guy of the group, so there's also that. I don't really remember if he was in the movies though.
>>
>>64235462
And then they have golden hair, green eyes, and pale skin in SSJ mode
>>
>>64235639
Germans are wasps, hence the Saxon in waSp.
>>
After scrolling down threads like this i wonder just why I even bothered. But aint I fool
>>
>>64231728
IT'S THE PRODUCER'S MONEY THEY DO THE MOVIE THEY WANT STOP COMPLAINING AND MAKE YOUR OWN FUCKING MOVIE IF YOU'RE BUTTHURT
>>
>>64234096
I'm not mad about either. I don't care of they cast an off-color actor for a character if it works. Elba owned that role and every scene he was in as Heimdall.

I'm sure if he becomes James Bond he'll do the same. If they Whitewash-blackwash a movie and it was complete ass like Avatar: The Last Air Bender was, yeah, you have a right to complain about the casting.
>>
Would people go apeshit if Superman was portrayed by a black or Latino guy? He is an alien so I wonder if SJWs would harp about it
>>
>>64236771
They didn't replace the local populations though, they just acultured them. There's only so many people in a deserted land and they didn't leave it empty.

Jesus would likely looked like what people considers to be "arab". Which is how israelites that didn't came from Europe look, by the way.
>>
File: example1.jpg (62 KB, 579x539) Image search: [Google]
example1.jpg
62 KB, 579x539
>>64236674
>Whats white?

Anyone who commits a crime and isn't black, at least according to the federal government.
>>
File: aDifferentBreed.jpg (17 KB, 320x285) Image search: [Google]
aDifferentBreed.jpg
17 KB, 320x285
>>64237808
You're a fucking retard.

I guess in your fantasy world, all people in America who speak English are ethnically ENGLISH.
>>
>>64235902
Wait wait wait.... all this shit about that, was for a PLAY?
Holy shit, fuck off.
>>
>>64237793
they already did that it was called hancock.
>>
>>64236854
That's the culture, but Korra and his brother clearly don't look inuit at all. They're indians dressed as inuits or something. The same for Aang, being clearly a white kid dressed as tibetan.

The point being that complaining about races is stupid for this fantasy setting, specially as the live action movie kept the ethnic variety.
>>
>>64231728
WE
>>
>>64235585
>Kingpin (Daredevil)
Micheal Clark Duncan was the only good nothing about that abortion of a movie, and to be honest, I can't think of many other actors in Hollywood, then or now who had a build able to play Kingpin other than him.
>>
>dragonball
>whitewashing

Goku is not even human what the fuck.
>>
>>64232424

Man I get what you're saying about these being fictional ethnicities. But they are very clearly modeled after real world ethniticies:

Air nomads - Tibet
Fire nation - Japan
Earth kingdom - China
Water tribes - Inuit
>>
>>64232244
>So the canonically established race of a character isn't whats important, its their name.

His name is a clue that he's an Indian Sikh, as is the fact that it's the fucking canon literally everywhere. Montalban was playing a Sikh, they just couldn't find a turbano to do it. Cumbersnatch does not make the role canonically white.
>>
Oh white people u so funny
>>
>>64234914
Fury was white, before they rebooted the character (in the comics first) and made him black.
>>
I think we can all agree, a movie with a lot of diversity is intrinsically better than a movie with a mostly white cast. The issue being debated is, when is it ok to to change the ethnicity of a character in the source material.

With how few roles there are for actors of color, I think we should be more lenient towards parts going from white to black rather than vice versa. But if for some reason it is crucial to the character that they be white, like if it's a KKK person or a Nazi, then I could understand a case being made for locking a white actor to the role.
>>
>>64238392
Their cultures are influenced by real world cultures. That doesn't make them the same race, especially when, in the cartoon, they look nothing like people from those races.

Here's a picture of an Inuit girl. Does she look like Katara (with her big, blue eyes)? No. The actress they chose looks a lot like Katara, though.
>>
>>64238758

Or we could just be ok with there being few roles for non-whites because they are a fucking minority.
>>
>>64232389
Is this cuckwashing or blackwashing? Both?
>>
>>64235113
>He was heavily bronzed for the role,
In TOS, yes. But in WoK they basically portrayed him as a muscular Aryan superman.
>>
>>64235440
>The character is Indian
He was genetically engineered.
Khan is never a first name in India.
Noonien isn't even an Indian name.
He didn't have an Indian accent.
>>
>>64231728
>Dragonball Evolution
>fuck Mai, Chichi, Yamcha, Gohan and Roshi
>muh Goku and Piccolo fucking alien shits weren't played by asians WAAHHH
>>
>>64239435
maybe its india after china kicks its shit in
>>
>>64235837
That pic makes no fucking sense. They chose the ugliest white guy they could find, and chose an asian model who's had eye surgery to look more caucasian.
>>
>>64239155
Minorities in America, particularly blacks and Asians, are actually over-represented in Hollywood, given they only make up 13% and 5% of the entire population.

Hispanics are cast less than blacks even though there are more Hispanics in America than blacks (17% vs 13%).
>>
>>64239705
And most of the time when Hispanics are cast they're literally stereotypes
>>
>>64238758
>all agree, "a lot of diversity" intrinsically better

No, I don't agree. Some diversity is fine (especially since blacks aren't intelligent enough to create and/or maintain their own franchises ...so we have to help them like we do in society).

But a lot of diversity is unneccesary. Blacks characters are usually just hollow "positive propaganda" anyway
>>
>>64234726
Roland's the one that hurts me the most. That tells me that if Roland's going to be black, Susannah's going to be white, so as not to blow the dynamic in Drawing of the Three. Instead of Detta calling Roland "cracker", it's going to be a evil white chick calling him "nigger". They don't have the balls to cast a black person as a racist.

Thinking about it, I also realized that a big plot point is Susannah letting herself get raped by a demon. SJWs are going to flip shit about that one.
>>
File: image.png (635 KB, 2248x2363) Image search: [Google]
image.png
635 KB, 2248x2363
There are block people in Dragon Ball (General Black)

There are Asian people in Dragonball (Yajirobe)

There are Native American people in Dragon Ball (Tribes of them)

Goku doesn't look like any of them. He has giant, round eyes and is a foot taller than Vegeta. They could make him Asian for virtue of him being the creation of an Asian, but he's an alien with clearly white features. Him being anything other than White or Asian is just pandering and would be universally shit on, and would be relegated to some multiverse tier bullshit where MUH BLACK GOKU EXISTS. No one is rushing to white wash Black Panther or Shaft, no one should be rushing to make white characters non white.
>>
>>64240315
Black* not block kek
>>
>>64231728
Here is the thing. Everyone wants to bitch about white washing.

But the second tumblr-fave Benedict Cumberbottom is cast as Doctor Strange, everyone fucking shuts up.

So I'm fine talking about whitewashing, as soon as I meet someone who actually cares.

> btw im a non-refugee syrian
>>
>>64240315
He's from another planet, his race is Saiyan. Akira Toriyama has stated multiple times that Goku isn't specifically Asian and that he made Goku look ambiguous so that more people could relate to him.
>>
>>64240315
This. Plus Goku isn't even fucking human so idk what people are always on about that for
>>
File: 1445895239400.jpg (188 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1445895239400.jpg
188 KB, 750x750
>>64240406
Doctor Strange is a white character. You can't white wash a character that's already white
>>
>Avatar: The Last Airbender

Brown dude turned the white villan into a brown dude, and turned the asian protaganists into white people.
>>
>>64236041
Khan was a character created by a white writer, and played by a white actor.

He was brought back again for "Into Darkness" by white writers and was again played by a white actor.

Stop acting like this is some kind of travesty.

The first time they couldn't find a charismatic Indian so they casted a Southern European and put him in bronze make-up. The second time they casted a Northern European (and only because Hollywood doesn't like to make brown people the villians).

I'd have been fine with him being a real Indian. I'm all for more brown villians.
>>
>>64241685
>zuko
>white
He actually has Asian eyes.

>asian protagonists
That all have Caucasian eyes and skin.
>>
just make a top ten black-washing from the last fifteen years with sam jack as nick fury

that will get em riled up and show them they're hypocrisy
>>
>>64242718
Pretty certain Nick Fury what made black before Jackson ever stepped into the role.
>>
>>64243457
The character was intentionally designed to look like Jackson, they probably already had agreed the roll when they were getting the original marvel films sorted
>>
>>64243457
Exactly. He was made black. He was originally white. He was black washed in the comics
>>
>>64244049
Was the color of his skin really important to his character? The answer to that, and most of the shit people whine about, is no.
>>
How about we cast people right for the role?
>>
>>64232389
Because there isn't an issue with whites being cast in movies.
Whitewashing is worse because it takes the few roles that a black or especially Asian person can be cast in and white washes them.

Look at fucking Earthsea, all the characters are specificially black ON PURPOSE in the books as Le Guin hates the idea of fantasy just "defaulting" to white europe, but in all the Earthsea movies, it's white people in medieval europe.
>>
>>64245343

They do whatever will make them money
>>
>>64231728
WE
>>
>>64238577
It was so dumb.
>>
>>64246579

JUST
>>
>>64245343

How about blacks write some novels and screenplays and create some characters.

Why do whites have to constantly do this for them?
>>
>>64231728
If you disagree that new actors should get more roles you're literally an idiot.

Tons of non-whites graduate top-drama schools - and I've seen them act, and they are AMAZING. But they will never get any roles if they aren't in the hollywood "friends and family" club.

It's a loss for drama. If people were casted just as they come out of school, you'd be seeing a lot more non-white actors. Either way, I believe drama should transcend race, and "historical accuracy" is for trash-tier plebs who can't into art.
>>
>>64232517
>Chinese
>>
>>64232739
>Yamcha
>Master Roshi
>Chi Chi
>Mai
>>
>>64234096
Idris Elba is a cool guy
>>
literally every human with a few exceptions in DBZ is white though. Because the only places we ever see are in the like northern/middle eastern parts of the world.
>avatar the last airbender
yeah cause i'm so sure there were tons of inuit kids begging to be put in a movie that displays them as retards who worship koi.
>lone ranger
what
>passion of the christ
lel

>>64231783
Nothing to even worry about there. Remember the annie remake? No one else does either.

It's blacksploitation, just in a modern format. How they can possibly say they want more of it is abso-fucking-lutely baffling to me.
>>
>>64236926
The reason the writer changed him was because he felt bad having a Middle Eastern villain. Because people of Asian descent shouldn't be villains. So by avoiding being racist he was actually racist.
>>
>>64234474
>Egyptians
>White
Keks
Another WE WAS KINGS meme
>>
File: 1446170405980.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1446170405980.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
>>64245343
>>64247452
>a Spike Lee Joint
>>
>>64248221

> Lone Ranger

Johnny Depp as Tonto.
>>
>>64247952
Why can't blacks and mixed race hispanics write and direct and develop some films/shows/ novels/ franchises?

Again, you won't answer this. It just shows how hollow your argument really is.

You are demanding that whites write movies for nonwhites. Again, whites already do that. Blacks are overrepresented in film based on their population %. So we are already giving more than we should.

You are one of three things:
- a child
- a minority
- brainwashed by the Social Religion and unable to use logic and stats to realize the truth
>>
>>64235440

In Wrath of Khan it's not like anyone comments on his origin or his race. He's a lunatic obsessed with revenge and he and his crew dress like homosexual glam rockers and he quotes Moby Dick. Race is pretty fucking irrelevant. He's just a weirdo.
>>
>>64235837
right is a model
left is some faggot

I can 100% guarantee that chinks dont look slender, I analyze 1000 pictures a day of fucking asians and they have uplifted noses, small eyes, sprainy hair and so on
>>
>>64235864
>a spike lee joint
>>
>>64231728
This is fucking stupid. When it's white people that are making the fucking movies it makes sense that white people are the lead characters, even if it's not fully correct (or at least it's excusable). What about the Japanese SnK movie that had nips cast as Europeans? Nobody complaining about Asianwashing? Nope. Because it is based of a Japanese work of fiction and created by Japanese people.
>>
>>64235902
>Harry is taller than Ron
>Hermoine is black
>Ron is not a ginger

Play or not, they fucked it up with all the three
>>
>biggest foreign markets are europe, russia, mexico, anglosphere nations, china, south korea and japan
>racial group with the most buying power in north america is caucasian

There's a case for more latin/asian actors but a good chunk of those movies mentioned are MENA related with huge budgets, there's no way they're going to allow unknown keb*bs lead a non franchise movie with budgets would kill or ruin a year for most studios if they flopped and I'm saying this as a fangirl of Rami Malek.
>>
>>64242298
Well now you are just lying. Katara and Sokka are brown. Toph has white skin but that doesn't make her white.
>>
Wait I thought Ben Kingsley was part Indian
>>
>>64248333
They do. There are black and Hispanic and asian writers and directors. They do write minority characters. However they get pigeonholed into only doing that by a combination of the market and producer expectations. Then, and this is an assumption I admit, because you don't watch tv or movies with minorities you don't hear about them and assume they don't exist confirming your assumption whites are the only presence in media. To say nothing about how entitled you sound about the amount of minorities you "allow" to be represented.
>>
>>64231728
Stop posting clickbait people of shit color articles. No one cares.
>>
>>64241436
Sure he is.
>>
>>64249782

Again, you are incorrect.

I don't add Asian filmmakers to the list with black and mixed-race Hispanic filmmakers because Asian (East Asian) filmmakers already have a quality thriving film market in Japan, South Korea, etc. (Of which I'm a big fan) I wish you wouldn't add Asians to your list just to boost your numbers as I said absolutely nothing negative about Asian filmmakers.

Again, you a dodging the question.

You are are saying that there should be more black people in movies. That is based on what logic exactly? Hypothetically speaking, if blacks were 45% of the population but only 20% of film roles, I would agree with you. But they are 12% of the population and around 17-20% of roles. So they are already overrepresented. So there should just be more for mores sake??

Whites already go out of their way to create roles for blacks (always fucking good guys too). If anything, Asians and mixed race Hispanics are slightly underrepresented and this is because there is so much focus on blacks.
>>
>>64231728

>some chick writes some shit on the internetz

Opinion discarded.
>>
I'm not going to read this thread, no offense to anyone posting, but I'm not going to read it because they're all exactly the same. I've been studying this for a minute and here's what I think the deal is.

They don't make big budget movies featuring non-white casts that often because the US is a white majority country. This is just a fact. Since the target demographic for these movies is still 18-25 year old white males, this just makes good business sense.

HOWEVER, when an article like this is written, it's usually (though not always) written by an SJW type who may or may not be a racist, but often works for someone who is who in turn, works for someone even more powerful than that. But whenever one of these articles is POSTED on a forum, here or elsewhere, it typically IS done by an active racist or else someone who works for one or else one who has a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. The reason for the posting is that it is incredibly addicting for people, white and non-white racists alike and everyone in between, to actively fight and disagree about the content of the article, which was bait by design. It's a strategy and also a form of astroturfing. The powers that be don't actually believe in a revolution or a crusade by one side or another, they're interested in maintaining division, because division makes money. No one at the top really wants to fix the problem, they'd be out of a job. Don't know any white people in real life who say the stuff you see online, don't know any blacks who run around screaming we wuz kangs. These types of threads would have you convinced it's everybody though. The message being broadcast to you is, and always has been, identify with your group and thump your chest in unison until the very end, even though it's nonsense and it isn't going to change anything. The owners of this motherfucking place, the guys ten guys above the guys who sign your paycheck, do not want it any other way. Just my two cents though.
>>
>>64249782
You argument in support of "multicult" and "multiracial" movie casting is so fucking sick that I legitimately question the mental health of someone who supports that shit.
>>
>>64245343
niggers get 15 percent of roles, they are over represented

gooks have gook cinema over in gookland
>>
>>64249782
how many whites and asians in Mexican film industry? How many Africans in Asian cinema?
>>
>>64249782
The people currently responding to you want you to fight with them.
>>
>>64231933

But Sokka and Katara are clearly dark-skinned in the show, and the people from the Fire Nation are clearly light-skinned. The movie reverses that.
>>
>>64245343
The people currently responding to you want you to fight with them.
>>
>>64232038
>People are sick of seeing Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt and Christian Bale in multiple movies every fucking year,
That certainly explains their ongoing strong draw at the box-office. Well, apart from Pitt - I think his career is going downhill.
>>
>>64232299
>I'm white
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>64245343
I always thought Ged and most of the people in the first book were meant to be american indian. I vividly remember them being described as red skinned.
>>
>>64239686
>>64248410
That's the point. This is an edit of the original picture which is the same thing swapped around where they compare ugly asians with white models.
>>
I remember in my early twenties I was good friends with this mexican family same age as me.
Their last name was lopez, anyway one night they mention how nice it is being white.
It was the strangest thing, I asked them what they meant by that and they tell me again that their race is white and they even check white on any forms that ask for ethnicity.
I'm pretty sure a good portion of mexicans in the U.S. have racial guilt and convince themselves they're just like us.
>>
File: wut.png (26 KB, 716x561) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
26 KB, 716x561
>>64231728
>>
>>64232133
Sikh is a religion, not a race, first of all. Second, >>64234903 this; Kahn is a genetically engineered being, he doesn't have a race in the traditional sense.
Thread replies: 244
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.