[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this the best horror of 2015, or best horror ever made? It
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10
File: 54f8d648c76cb.jpg (42 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
54f8d648c76cb.jpg
42 KB, 750x750
Is this the best horror of 2015, or best horror ever made? It has literally zero flaws.

Can /tv/ reach a consensus and agree the horror genre has been redeemed by this?
>>
>>64228079
It's a meme flick.
>>
File: goodnight-mommy.jpg (117 KB, 680x963) Image search: [Google]
goodnight-mommy.jpg
117 KB, 680x963
>>64228079
>best horror of 2015
>>
>>64228135
It's cinema.
>>
>>64228328
That was so mediocre.

Krampus is the best horror of the year.
>>
File: It Follows poster 1.jpg (62 KB, 646x960) Image search: [Google]
It Follows poster 1.jpg
62 KB, 646x960
>>64228079
Best of 2015, easily, but not sure if it would be the best of all time. The Shining, the Thing, Alien, and Halloween beat it out. Arguably Silence of the Lambs, but that's up int he air if you call it horror or not.
Best poster of 2015 though
>>
File: 117897979890.jpg (37 KB, 394x479) Image search: [Google]
117897979890.jpg
37 KB, 394x479
>>64228079
>It has literally zero flaws.

It wasn't scary.

And it was pretty much a shit-tier Yank ripoff of The Grudge, mashed up with some "hey, gang, let's fight this thing!" bullshit from the later Nightmare On Elm Street movies.
>>
this movie bored the fuck out of me. only spooky scene was when that tall guy loomed in from the doorway
>>
File: fugginblebs.jpg (122 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
fugginblebs.jpg
122 KB, 500x377
>>64229027
>getting scared by horror movies
>>
File: tarant.jpg (57 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
tarant.jpg
57 KB, 1280x720
>It's one of those movies that’s so good you start getting mad at it for not being great. The fact that he didn't take it all the way makes me not just disappointed but almost a little angry.

>David Mitchell could have kept his mythology straight.He broke his mythology left, right, and center. We see how the bad guys are: They’re never casual.They’re never just hanging around.They’ve always got that one look, and they always just progressively move toward you. Yet in the movie theater, the guy thinks he sees the woman in the yellow dress, and the girl goes, “What woman?” Then he realizes that it’s the follower. So he doesn’t realize it’s the follower upon just looking at her? She’s just standing in the doorway of the theater, smiling at him, and he doesn’t immediately notice her? You would think that he, of anybody, would know how to spot those things as soon as possible. We spotted them among the extras.

>The movie keeps on doing things like that, not holding on to the rules that it sets up. Like, okay, you can shoot the bad guys in the head, but that just works for ten seconds? Well, that doesn’t make any fucking sense. What’s up with that? And then, all of a sudden, the things are aggressive and they’re picking up appliances and throwing them at people? Now they’re strategizing? That’s never been part of it before. I don’t buy that the thing is getting clever when they lower him into the pool. They’re not clever.

>Also, there’s the gorgeously handsome geeky boy — and everyone’s supposed to be ignoring that he’s gorgeous, because that’s what you do in movies — that kid obviously has no problem having sex with her and putting the thing on his trail. He’s completely down with that idea. So wouldn’t it have been a good idea for her to fuck that guy before she went into the pool, so then at least two people could see the thing? It’s not like she’d have been tricking him into it. It’s what I would’ve done.
>>
File: 1417994150708.jpg (58 KB, 502x432) Image search: [Google]
1417994150708.jpg
58 KB, 502x432
>>64229127

It wasn't your mom's pussy, but it should have a chill or two, shouldn't it?
>>
OP here
tfw you make an ironic thread about a shit movie and people actually agree with you...

can't say if /tv/ is that good at trolling or people really have zero taste
>>
>>64229295
> OP here

fuck off fagget, this isn't reddit
>>
>>64229194
>It’s what I would’ve done.

Fuck the geeky boy? Why am I not surprised.
>>
It was well done. The fact that the horror is visually represented as ordinary people might have seemed dull, but was part of the point. The soundtrack by Disasterpeace was brill, hope that guy does more in the future. Also liked much better than Under The Skin, which was recommended to me as a follow up to this.
>>
For a movie about sexual intercourse, it had no nudity in it.
That was a flaw
>>
>>64229027

It was more of a dark contemporary fairy tale/allegory, if you're expecting an old Wes Craven or John Carpenter slasher you're missing the point
>>
It's fucking shit and everyone who likes it likes it because it just so happened to come out at the right time.

>they're at the beach
>the thing is coming up behind them as they're having a drink
>it grabs her hair, has hold of her for like 20 seconds
>the guy tries to hit it with a seat
>HE GETS THROWN LIKE 500FT
>implying the thing shouldn't have just ripped her scalp off her skull considering it clearly had the strength to

fuck off, that's just one flaw out of a billion gorillion of them.
>>
>>64229378
>it had no nudity

The entity appears as a naked person 75% of the time.
>>
Beyond the Black Rainbow is the best stylized, slow paced horror/dark fantasy movie of the 2010s, but It Follows lags close behind
>>
>>64229475
but i wanted to fap to the hot sister or the lead girl at least
not to an old wrinkly dude
>>
>>64228079

My one complaint is the swimming pool scene. I don't understand under what circumstances they thought it's a good idea. It was almost like I missed a scene where someone says "it has a fear of water and toasters and that is why it kills people". Also, presumably they just left it there and hoped it would stay dead unlike last time. Was that girl who could see it not worried about exposing future swimmers to monster blood?

I liked when that retard shot the girl by mistake though.
>>
MY INTERPRETATION / ANALYSIS.

There are many things going on in this film, to pigeon hole its meanings would be a huge disfavor. But one theme that struck me while watching the film was that it's overall form contributed to an underlying and overt narrative that It Follows touches on white privilege: that the greatest horrors of suburban young adults and teens are vastly over dramatized within their own discourse when given global perspective--the film's form is exceptionally executed to mirror its content.

There's a reason it's set in Detroit 'between the suburbs and the boarder of the city' the allusions to eight mile and how the children were never allowed to go to the state fair without permission because it was over the boarder. These kids have everything: food and shelter (often the food is left alone, a lot of it junk too), clandestine jobs at an ice cream parlor (so cliché its relevant), a POOL in their back yard, scenic lake houses that are pawned off as 'nothing special', they are aloof and blasé in their mundane day to day activities--typically indulging in vices like booze, whose greatest fears (within the context of the film and arguably superficial) focus on std's, not lack of shelter, having enough food, safety of community etc..

The aimless gun shots at the beach, and so on, mirror/inverting neighborhoods where that is a daily norm for a lot of people (the abandoned neighborhoods and ghettos standing in for creepy haunted houses within a canonized American horror trope perpetuated by narrow suburban perspective--or white fear of minority communities, as specific or unspecific to the Detroit area).

Their priorities appear generalized, normalized for individuals of their socioeconomic background (so much so that it's easy to allow them to wash over you). When you live in this bubble, your greatest fear is caught in selfish activity (a moral provocation of lust, maybe?)--the fear of becoming pariah (or however far you want to take that
>>
>>64228328
Came out in 2014 bruh.
>>
>>64228448
>>64229214
>>64229332
>>64229367
>>64229475
all OP
>>
>>64229583
A lot of mouth-farting.
>>
>>64229583

You write like a real sock-sniffer.
>>
>>64229583
Cont'd.

While the horror-ization of std's can be made to criticize the harsh stereotypes we ascribe to those that have them, the film strives to drive home that for a lot of individuals this is the very least of their immediate worries (the world that is unseen by suburban pedigree, ghosts in their own rite). That it is a horror film calls to question what are its true horrors, and who will interpret or gravitate to which one.

Much like The Shining, It Follows provides mis-en-scene clues and cues to weave multiple narratives into many unifying theories and interpretations. Hell, one sister educates herself through a clamshell birth control Kindle. The last shot, subtly and overtly, can be interpreted as their return to white privilege, of the freedom to roam the streets without environmental or cultural worry--except for that pesky stalker. The severity of horror is subjective to what you are choosing to pay attention to in the film, and how does your own background or world view contribute to that and why?

The movie is progressive in its social critic and therefore deserves a 4 stars and a half out of 5 from me.
>>
>>64229664
>Much like The Shining, It Follows provides mis-en-scene clues and cues to weave multiple narratives into many unifying theories and interpretations

Disregard other hostile posters. I love your writing style. You should write movie reviews for a living. I mean it.
>>
>>64229664
>>64229725

>complimenting your own writing style

pathetic
>>
>>64229763
>le samefag meme
>>
>>64229805

I love my meming style. I should write professional memes. I meme it.
>>
>>64229583
>>64229664
Interesting.
Why you try to talk about themes in this shit hole though is beyond me.
Still, I enjoyed your blog.
>>
>>64228079
>literally zero flaws
>literally zero
>literally
Kill yourself
>>
File: It Follows poster 2.jpg (216 KB, 718x1024) Image search: [Google]
It Follows poster 2.jpg
216 KB, 718x1024
>>64229583
>>64229664
That's actually an interesting take I hadn't thought of. I was always kind of confused by the inclusion of Detroit and why the poor aspects were brought up.
One thing I would add is how callously the main characters give away the curse to maintain their lives. I mean, in the end the geek passes it off to some prostitutes like their lives don't matter, almost certainly condemning them and whoever they sleep with to death.
>>
>>64229897
>>64230117
Oh so you guys like that "analysis". I copy/pasted it from Reddit.
>>
>>64228328
is this worth watching
>>
>>64230178
Yeah I liked it.
>>
>>64228079
>/tv/ reaching a consensus

Toppest of kek's
>>
File: it-follows-tall-man.png (173 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
it-follows-tall-man.png
173 KB, 620x400
it was pretty fucking great. tense, atmospheric, well acted, somewhat unique. it feels a little drawn out at times but it has moment sthat make up for it.
>>
>Zero flaws

The whole bit with the electric appliances by the pool was pretty stupid
>>
>>64230801
I don't get people's problem with the scene. The guy said the creature is slow, not stupid. So of course it would be like "This is an obvious trap, better not walk right into it"
Though, it is weird it somehow was defeated just cause it got shot in the water, though the ending implies it is still alive.
>>
File: 1394860918086.gif (2 MB, 200x329) Image search: [Google]
1394860918086.gif
2 MB, 200x329
>>64229475
which was pretty awesome
>>
>>64228079
>literally zero flaws
I know you're baiting, but some poor fool might actually listen to you.

>Monster that follows physical laws
>No attempts at simple traps
>Convoluted pool plan where the monster suddenly shows a bit of intelligence and doesn't jump right in
>Can't call the police because they'll tell my mom and she won't believe me and that's worse than being fucked to death by a monster
>Cuck friend fucks her after she's been used by every man-whore in town to appear brave
>No sympathy for sluts, so the characters have no value, so any deaths are meaningless

This movie is "I made bad decisions and I'm being punished for them." with idiots that can't figure out how to stop a physical entity than never runs.
>>
The scene in the kitchen with that woman was terrifying
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.