[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Metropolis (dir. Fritz Lang)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: metropolis.jpg (164 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
metropolis.jpg
164 KB, 1680x1050
How did they make something this cutting edge and compelling in 1927?
>>
File: The_Princess_Bride_0342.jpg (298 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
The_Princess_Bride_0342.jpg
298 KB, 1600x900
>>64225757
Masons and Jews and the like have been planning to leave us goy on Earth for a while now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWLGVjNpuuE
>>
>>64225757
The Birth of a Nation was cutting edge and compeling in 1915. everthing after was copy
>>
>>64225757
Because they could make good movies back then too.
>>
The short answer is that back then people didn't sit on their asses watching TV all day and letting what they see taint their thinking. Back then, people read and lived life and dreamed quite strongly.

Now, we sit back and wait for ideas to come from some box or other. And they suck.
>>
>>64225757
Germans
>>
>>64225757

Vision, the dawn of workable special effects, strong storytelling, basic themes.
>>
>>64225757
I don't know much about Metropolis, but The Passion of Joan of Arc came out a year later and was revolutionary in its use of camera angles.
None of the equipment could be moved or adjusted back then, so the director literally dug holes and stacked the camera on top of things to achieve the effect
>>
>>64225757
I dunno. That movie was actually slightly entertaining when I watched it a year ago. It presents some ideas about society and class system that are relevant today more than ever.
Also, the vision of future it presents has become the popular vision of dystopian society in decades after it, which is why I think Metropolis could be more influential than we give it credit
>>
>>64225757
> female C3PO
Bravo Lang!
>>
I miss having friends to go to art theaters to and all the little random cinemas showing such movies.
>>
>compelling/good story
King of City wants to kill his not slave workforce because he doesn't like poor people so he has to find a way for them to justify killing them
his son falls in love with a hot slut
King Dad has his Science Wizard make a robot version of the slut that'll inspire the underlings to rebel
Science Wizard also falls in lust over the flesh and blood slut
Dandy Son saves slut from Science Virgin
Robot slut leads slaves into revolt
tells them to break the main water main so it'll flood the city or some shit
foreman tells them it'll drown their children which they left on the bottom level
they break the pipe anyway
oh no we've drowned our children the poor cry
not to worry CEO jr. and slut saved them
robot slut gets btfo
Mayor Dad regrets his actions
THE END
>so good
>>
I love those bi-planes flying between skyscrappers. It's really one of a kind movie. the one that couldn't be made in any other era. I think it's time to watch it again. Good lord that Fake Maria was so unreal. Her moves were so strange.
If I remember correctly most characters survive including the villains Rotwang and Thin Man which was a little weird.
>>
>>64225812
Birth of a Nation doesn't count because it was racist
>>
>>64226358
It dose seems to be that way. Fuck this stupid earth
>>
>>64225973
under-rated post!
>>
>>64226409
Thanks reddit, you are right!

>!
>>
>>64226090
If you dumb down any movie with a piss poor explanation of its' story it sounds like it was made for half wits you jackass.
>>
>>64226090
Wait a moment, does he realise that if he get rid of poor people he'll end up with no not-slave workforce?
>>
>the actress playing Maria died in 1996

Damn.

Of course she's got nothing on Carla Laemmle (1909–2014) who played in the 1925 version of Phantom of the Opera.
>>
>>64226328
Wait, Rotwang dies. It was the father who was "the brain."
>>
>>64226090
I don't think Metropolis is 10/10 or anything but isn't this wrong? I thought that the scientist wanted to destroy the city and the robot-led revolt was entirely his plan because he hated the city-boss.

Also, Tall Man is best character in Metropolis and second best character in silent-kino behind that one soldier in Birth of A Nation. You know which one.
>>
>>64225757
alien jews
>>
>>64225897
Isn't it hailed as the first art house film?
>>
File: 05metropolis_CA1-popup1.jpg (75 KB, 650x466) Image search: [Google]
05metropolis_CA1-popup1.jpg
75 KB, 650x466
>>64226797
Such a badass character and very mysterious. What was his allegiance? He seemed to be just a goon at first but apparently he took shit from no one and didn't really need his boss.
>>
>>64226867
He's such a weird looking guy. Imagine riding on a train or something one day and seeing him looking at you over a newspaper exactly like in that picture.
>>
Uh excuse me sir. This board only recognizes capeshit, Star Wars and ebin films made in 2000+

Take your old timey films to the retirement homes grandpa
>>
I was surprised how entertaining it was. I like old movies but I do have certain tollerance. I liked some other silent films but Metropolis is probably my favorite. Now if there were more silent films that would feel this satisfying.
>>
It's fascist propaganda.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.