[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I guarantee you this thing was all JJ's idea, the guy is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26
File: starkiller.jpg (68 KB, 745x758) Image search: [Google]
starkiller.jpg
68 KB, 745x758
I guarantee you this thing was all JJ's idea, the guy is such a hack writer that loves blowing planets up

This thing can make somewhat sense if it's a combination of technology and Snookie's dark side powers. However it's still the worst part of TFA by far
>>
>>64215845
Tell that to kanjiklub.
>>
You're still upset about Vulcan aren't you
>>
>>64215845
Where do you think they put the pile of dirt from digging that hole?
>>
why is this death star supposed to be scarier and more powerful than the previous ones? they all do the same thing, blow up a planet. it's just a death star that is really big and can't move around.
>>
>>64215949
It can blow up like five planets per shot.
>>
>>64215934
Ejected into the sun
>>
>>64215845
You made a thread to circle jerk over how bad you think JJ is without any proof it was his idea.
How pathetic can you get?
>>
>>64215990
functionally, does that change anything? starkiller base takes like 5 hours to charge and can blow up five planets... but death star takes like an hour to charge to blow up one planet so it's still the same blown up planet per hour type scenario.
>>
>>64215845
Maybe I'm naive but I think the next one will be goat
Finally got rid of JJ and Disney can't afford another 2 hours of fanservice
But I still trying to not get my hopes up
>>
>>64215990
a handful of normal cruisers can render a planet totally uninhabitable with a conventional bombardment, so any kind of Death Star is really pointless
>>
>>64216008
You think it changes the rotation and gravity of the planet?
>>
>>64216077
Plus honestly how often do you think a situation would call for blowing up one planet, let alone more than one at the same time.

Like honestly for what fucking purpose?
>>
>>64216077
Yeah I thought 'the-death-star-but-bigger' was kind of weak, they should have come up with something new
>>
>>64216174
Honestly, working in construction, I can't even begin to comprehend how they would move such a massive amount of material. Let alone what effect it would have to the planet
>>
Y the fuck didnt they just build it on top of the surface? Was it really neccessary to dig the fucking hole?
>>
>>64216206
Yeah, would be easier to explain it as a weird hollow planet or snoke used the dark side to do whatever and power it, sounds ridiculous 'magic did it' but it's better than nothing
>>
>>64215890
This isn't funny.
>>
>>64215845
>destroying the original death star only killed empire loyalists
>destroying starkiller base kills literally everything, on the planet, indigenous lifeforms and possibly slave labor as well
>yfw the resistance just as evil as the first order
>yfw the first order was created by the resistance to keep support for the republic high
>yfw leia never uses the force but is obviously inherently able to

>yfw leia is snoke
>>
>>64216332
Tell that to banjoblub
>>
>>64215934
>>64215845
More importantly, how the hell does the atmosphere stays in place with such a huge hole in the planet? Have the writers ever heard of that thing called hydrostatic equilibrium?
>>
>>64216286
A weird hollow planet would be much better than "we excavated 1/10 of a planet"
>>
>>64216077
You pulled all of those numbers out of your ass.
>>
>>64216401
Not to mention that when they fire the Australia-sized beam cannon the fucking atmosphere would burn off.
>>
>>64216486
no i pulled them out of boyega's flaring gorilla nose

the point is that they're the same thing and do the same thing. one blows up planets and the other blows up planets. the fact that it's a larger size doesn't have any functional change.
>>
>>64215949
>>64216077
The range death star needs to be close, but starkiller can shoot it's "lasers" accross the galaxy
>>
>>64216548
The difference is deathplanet eats up the "Sun" lol, and then what? Drifts away into space apparently, since there is now nothing to revolve around
>>
Even KOTOR, which was considered the least original re-imagining of Star Wars before TFA came out, tried something more original with the Star Forge: a base that sucks up plasma from stars and uses mass-energy equivalence to make robots and spaceships.
>>
>>64216578
...but death star can move around realtively quickly so it's still the same
>>
Lucas wasn't even hack enough to put in a new evil super weapon in TPM. What does that say about jewjew/
>>
>>64216077
>starkiller base takes like 5 hours to charge and can blow up five planets... but death star takes like an hour to charge to blow up one planet
the death star was right next to the planets it destroyed. The main reason the starkiller uses so much energy is that the beams travel faster than light speed. It can kill shit from very far away while the death star would have to travel within close range of each planet
>>
>>64216651
can you run that by kanjiklub for me?
>>
>>64216644
But he was hack enough to put one in ROTJ.
>>
>>64216651
>it can kill shit from very far away
assuming it's in the correct point in planetary rotation and revolution. remember, the death star can move around and position itself and get the right angle, stark killer base can't do that. it can only shoot it's target when the stars and planets align.
>>
>>64216683
Lol checking the zodiac signs to wait for the correct firing position
>hoky ancient religions
>>
>>64215845

Its not very distinct from the other star wars films, but it is hardly the worst aspect of the new film. That "honor" goes to either Maz or Rey, take your pick.
>>
>>64216682
The one in RoTJ was actually good. People would think "oh shit it's the deathstar" when the biggest threat would be the trap itself and the emperor trying to convert Luke.

Also it shows how powerless the rebels actually are before the emperor. Like "you blew my death star? well fuck you I can build more."
>>
If it sucks up the whole sun to fire one blast, how did it reload? Does the sun recharge by itself pretty quickly? Does the starkiller base move to another sun?

Did they explain this at all? Genuinely curious.
>>
>>64215845
How exactly did it charge up? Did it use suns from within its system? How does it draw in their energy from millions of miles away? Nothing about it makes any functional sense and it can't be explained nearly as well as the death star's power could.
>>
>>64216683
that reminds me
why didn't the death star just move around yavin to shoot the rebel base?
>>
>>64216919
They didn't address it at all. It's one of many annoying holes in the movie
>>
>>64216960
That's not how orbital mechanics work
>>
>>64217069
Why don't you tell that to kanjiklub?
>>
>>64217117
fuck that scene too
>>
File: tell that to kanjiklub.jpg (98 KB, 640x336) Image search: [Google]
tell that to kanjiklub.jpg
98 KB, 640x336
>>64215845
Tell that to Kanjiklub
>>
>>64216618
>>64215890
why is this meme so funny
>>
>>64215845
>the new Republic is only mentioned a couple of times
>literally the only shot we get of that is the moment they blow up those planets
They wanted to make it feel so important but it was just so underwhelming.
>>
File: RageFace.png (19 KB, 300x309) Image search: [Google]
RageFace.png
19 KB, 300x309
This pretty much ruined the film for me and the more I think about it the more it pisses me off.

>Tiresome "new superweapon has to be BIGGER than the last one" trope
>Blows up 5 planets that I don't care about
>Had little or no reason to blow up the other 5 where the Republic institutions were not based except that JJ just wanted to blow shit up and "outdo the past". What's next, and superweapon that can blow up entire local clusters?
>Even though I don't care about the planets and they were created specifically to be blown up for this film, the idea that the first order could have built this thing unmolestered and then casually fired it off to blow up what are presumably very important galactic planets
>Retarded jump-the-shark charging and firing mechanism of absorbing a fucking sun.

It also cheapens my appreciation of the franchise's universe when entire planets can be oblitered so often and so easily.

And in the end it was really just a fucking backdrop. The ending could have just as easily been set on a Star Destroyer where the climax is to rescue Rey and possibly bb8 before they extract Luke's location, or kill her or send her to snoke or something.
>>
>>64216634
KOTOR was fucking amazing and the Star Forge is an amazing idea. I literally shit my pants
>>
>jj: what kind of star wars do you want?
>disney: remake the ot but with no young white male leads and increase everyone's power levels
>jj:i got you senpai
>>
>>64216181
Some countries have hundreds of nuclear weapons stored, what situation would call for leveling an entire city, let alone more than one at the same time.

Like honestly for what fucking purpose?

It's a display of power.
>>
>>64217308
Probably deleted scenes
>>
File: 1364657084927.jpg (46 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1364657084927.jpg
46 KB, 400x300
>guys what if we build a THIRD death star
but it will get destroyed like the last two
>BUT IT'S GOING TO BE BIGGER
>>
>>64217411
>>64215845

Within the context of the Star Wars universe, the weapon is completely plausible. I mean, the Death Star and its Big Brother were both constructed in a relatively short period of time considering how fucking huge they were. It doesn't seem implausible at all that Starkiller could have been made in the 30 year timeskip between VI and VII.

Sure, it makes NO sense in a real world context, but we're talking about Star Wars where space magic is a real thing.
>>
>>64217411
>billions of people die

>noone even cares or says anything at all
>>
>>64217628
There's nobody to report on it since they're all dead. All that's left is the Resistance, the New Order, and whatever smaller civilizations that don't want jack shit to do with this war.
>>
>>64217477

They should have just made KOTOR and changed the title and a bunch of names around, and shoehorn Han Luke and Leia in somewhere.
>>
>>64217628

The Resistance is an army, not a support group. Go cry on your own time.
>>
>>64217539
Those are redundancies. Having many facilities to use in the event that the enemy strikes first and cripples your capacity to fight back.

Doesn't exactly apply to a single gigantic space station.
>>
>>64217672
it's like the capital of the republic, does noone in the resistance have any attachment to them at all/ like noone had family or friends there or anything?

And isn't the republic made up of thousands of worlds?
>>
>>64217708
Sure bro. Tell that to kanjiklub
>>
>>64217708
>The Resistance is an army

As far we can see it's made up of a single squad of xwings.
>>
>>64217602

But that is plausible because the empire controlled the entire galaxy

This is not plausible in the new context. The Republic or the resistance would not just sit about and let them build this solar system destroying weapon and not do anything about it. It's not like they didn't know its location.
>>
>>64217304
it's not
>>
>>64217732

>And isn't the republic made up of thousands of worlds?

I feel like a bunch of disney executives watched the prequels and thought "The Republic" was just Coruscant. Then they decided it would be "dramatic" and "cool" to blow it up, although somewhere along the way someone convinced them to not blow up such a central location to the star wars universe but blow something else up instead.
>>
>>64217732
The system they blew up was where the senate and leadership was at the time, there are still Republic systems but the main government is wiped out
>>
>>64216087
>but I think the next one will be goat
nope
Im done with star wars for good.
>>
>>64217890
But it's a republic, the planets will just elect new senators; it's not like killing royalty or like the emperor.
>>
>>64217843
Tell that to kanjiklub
>>
File: 399164.jpg (208 KB, 3000x1223) Image search: [Google]
399164.jpg
208 KB, 3000x1223
JJ loves blowing things way out of proportion
>>
>>64217953
>done
But we know you'll still post like a butthurt child.
See you very soon anon
>>
>>64217988
Yes, but it will cause mass chaos and is a huge loss to the Republic
>>
>>64218011
>size difference
>not a simple way to convey the idea that x is better than y
you niggers are fanny
>>
>>64218064
sure but it's not as if the republic is gone now; even a planet being destroyed is not that big a deal to a republic of thousands of members.

This just illustrates how the star wars universe is just too big for it's story.
>>
How does Starkiller Base move around
>>
>>64215990
with light/laser that bends without using mirrors....jew sorcery
>>
File: 1450932437374.png (940 KB, 1024x435) Image search: [Google]
1450932437374.png
940 KB, 1024x435
>>64217792

The Starkiller was a design that Sheev had planned in advance as a supplement or the Death Stars to cement his power by giving him a perfect way to retaliate against any attempt to overthrow him. Construction began at the same time as the Death Star II.

The project leaders were specifically selected because they were die-hard imperial fanatics and they became the progenitors of the First Order after the Emperor was killed. They already had vast resources secretly alotted to them in advance, and although the fall of the empire definitely slowed down the project, they were able to keep construction doing by using kidnapped & brainwashed workers such as Finn.

See? It really isn't hard to reconcile the whole thing.

>BUT THAT ISN'T EXPLAINED IN THE MOVIE!

And what people hated most about the the prequels was that EVERYTHING WAS EXPLAINED TO DEATH. JJ obviously listened and corrected that. Maybe he took it too far, but the alternative would have been death for the franchise. I really don't think that SW could have survived another sequel-tier movie.
>>
>>64216638
I don't think that space station can move at the speed of light.
>>
>>64218241
then how is it a threat?
>>
>>64218172

It doesn't. It just fires its laser through hyperspace.
>>
>>64218325
But then how would it go to another star to charge its shit.

Not guy you're responding to, but this is one of those criticisms where I'm like whatever i dont' care i'm just gonna go along with it, as long as they dont' keep making holes like this in the next movies
>>
>>64218325
i thought it used up all the energy from the sun it was located by so it wouldn't it just be useless?
>>
>>64218087
Yeah, that's what people are making fun of. Why does x have to be better than y? Take that exact Star Trek moment for example. The ship is a threat because it's bigger, okay. We get it. Seen it a million times before. Then you have the battle in the Wrath of Khan, they trade some blows and it's much more exciting and tense because the ships are relatively matched and the duel comes down to the wits of their captains. There's moments where each ship is one wrong move from being blown away by the other.

Not everything has to be big, dumb and obvious.
>>
File: Adam-Driver.jpg (2 MB, 5600x3807) Image search: [Google]
Adam-Driver.jpg
2 MB, 5600x3807
>tell everyone for weeks how much of a lil bitch this guy is and how he will be a terrible villain
>nobody believes me
>movie comes out
>he's a total bitch who gets beaten by the heroes at every turn and finally humiliated at the end being defeated by a girl who has never swung a lightsaber before

why is he so fucking shit at fighting with his saber? he's got AT LEAST 10+ years of training(probably was in fact rained his whole life) but ever the nigger landed a blow on him and the nigger lost to a fucking stormtrooper
>>
>>64218360

>But then how would it go to another star to charge its shit.

>>64218389

>i thought it used up all the energy from the sun it was located by so it wouldn't it just be useless?

You know, when you put it like that, it does sound kinda.......stupid.
>>
>>64218208

It still doesn't make sense. All the Republic had to do was send its fleet in and glass the place. Didn't look like the first order had much of a fleet, and do they even control any worlds?

If construction began when Deth Star 2 blew up you'd think the Republic would have spent the past 30 years trying to blow it up too. Did they not know of its existence? How could something like that have been hidden, especially given the rebellion/republic's renowed espionage network.

I don't need all this explained in the movie, I'm saying Starkiller asks all these questions to which any answer would be unsatisfactory. It's just lazy writing and it seriously breaks my immersion.
>>
>>64218433
>girl who has never swung a lightsaber before
>he doesn't know
>>
>>64218433
Control panels don't fight back.
>>
>>64218433
he looks like fucking snape
>>
>>64218433

I thought he was fine, honestly. He was scary enough when he was wearing the mask, and when he took the mask off, he was appropriately dramatic.
>>
>>64218439
Indeed.
So it has to be able to move. Otheriwse its just a planet sized paperweight. course they never establish this in the movie either so that's another criticism of mine. which is okay (4me) since its kinda self contained int his one movie

>>64218429
>not everything has to be big dumb and obvious
Agreed. But see, the wrath of khan was a bit more cerebral and clever in tone/execution than into darkness. I personally didn't really like into darkness but whatever. I got the point that robocop's ship was more advanced in every way
>>
>>64218492
even if the ray theories are true he STILL got hit by a blaster which makes him a shit force user and he still had a rough time with fucking finn who you can't tell me was also at the jedi academy
>>
>>64218439
Maybe they move it with the force or something idk
>>
>>64218287

Good point. Resistance could have just evacuated their planet, like they did on Hoth. Starkiller has already fired off its other shot to blow up the Hosnian system so whether they destroyed it or not, it would be useless after that anyway
>>
>>64218433
It's basic sword battle. Finn was a trained soldier and the Rey Mary Sue was "trained" by her troubled planet.
Jedi/Sith combat instances are not overpowered shit that can slice anything on it's way. But yes, for being the leader of a "Knight" faction he fucking sucked at the movie scenes.
>>
>>64218495
>boards don't hit back
anon stop making me smile :3c
>>
>>64218529
he was more of a bitch than anakin was in clone wars but at the same time is weak as shit
>>
>>64218611
>trained stormtrooper
>his training somehow gave him the ability to fight a jedi in lightsaber combat for over a minute and even land a blow
>>
File: star_wars_hanukkah.jpg (24 KB, 214x300) Image search: [Google]
star_wars_hanukkah.jpg
24 KB, 214x300
>>64218208
>you don't need pacing or tone in the vein of the OT goy
>watch these Marvel-tier action scenes that don't move the plot forward
>and be sure to see the movie a second and third time to catch all the epic callbacks :^)
>>
>>64218580
He just killed his father after having a near change of heartt, he wasn't in top form
>>
>>64218241
both Death Stars had hyperdrives, though
>>
>>64218611
>>64218635
>>64218688
>>64218708

He was also shot by Chewbacca before any saber fighting and was bleeding in the snow, had to keep amping himself up during lulls in the fighting, he did pretty well for a guy who got shot and cut up.
>>
>>64218492
Care to fill me in?
>>
>>64218389
>>64218360
It did fire twice though. Supposedly it uses dark matter as a main input, but this is only on the novelization, which doesn't fucking count.
Starkiller is dumb.
>>
File: not_upset.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
not_upset.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>64218847
I know you're not doing this but

>mfw people reference novelizations as justification for flaws in a film
>>
>>64218635

>he was more of a bitch than anakin

But that's fine. At least this time it is being done intentionally.

People didn't like the whiny bitch anakin that was presented in the prequels because it cheapened the menace of Darth Vader, previously one of the most imposing villains in cinema, reduced to a guy who turned to the dark side just because he was afraid of losing his GF. (And afraid of sand)

Ben Solo has no such reputation to protect. He's clearly shown to be a pawn of Snoke, the true menace. Ben Solo is supposed to be pitiful and tragic, whereas vader should have just been made tragic, not pitiful.
>>
>>64218495
That was part of the problem with him, I think. I get that they didn't want to make him seem to evil, so he just sliced up inanimate objects when being unable to control his rage, but it made him seem like a spoiled child breaking his toys rather than a dangerous villain.

Part of the reason Vader was so menacing was that he choked the first dude with the balls to give him lip and it was clear that failing him meant death.

Having him kill or at least injure a stormtrooper or two in one of his rages would have made him seem like less of a whiny bitch.
>>
>>64218823
it's bad story telling to have your villain lose his first fight vs a newbie hero

it just make him so nonthreatening, it would have been fine if there was another, more experienced sith lord running around kicking ass but nope they're saving that for the next one.
>>
>>64218885

Yeah, I've never read the book, but he was clearly bleeding in the snow, the camera shows blood pooling at his feet for a solid few seconds before Rey goes at him.

I don't get how so many people missed that and Chewie shooting the fucker while he was still on the bridge, there was no ambiguity in the movie about him being wounded...
>>
>>64218961
he literally felt like a complete joke to me

then he killed his dad and i'm like "ok now he's going to go full sith lord" then he gets his ass kicked
>>
>>64218823
And the fact that Chewie's crossbow "heavypower" was emphasized a lot through the movie. He got hit in the gut and still put up a fight.
>>
>>64219005
because he's the villain of the first movie in a trilogy

he should have still won or the fight should have been interrupted
>>
>>64218832
Luke wiped her mind and gave her false memories after she fell to the dark side, like Revan
>>
>>64216206
That cutout is big enough to house death starS

Moving that much material would probably cost several death stars worth of time/material/equipment
Plus that cut would easily be through the crust, which can't be good for geology.

Fuck, it makes the death stars look down to earth and realistic by comparison.
>>
File: TRAITOR.gif (75 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
TRAITOR.gif
75 KB, 180x180
>so, we've got enemies here and there
>should we bomb them from the orbit?
>NAH JUST BLOW THE PERFECTLY HABITABLE PLANET UP INTO FUCKING NOTHING
>understood sir, we'll commence bombing imm-
>DIDN'T YOU FUCKING HEAR ME
>DESTROY
>THE
>FUCKING
>PLANET
Even Imperium in 40k tends to hand out exterminatus orders less.
>>
>>64218979

Fair enough, but to be fair it kinda took 3 heroes, though I'm not super happy with Rey's deus ex victory, he was shot by Chewie, injured further by Finn, and then finally just got wounded by Rey, not even killed, so he can have his big angry Sith facial disfiguration

>>64219052

Exactly, that gun was putting dudes in armour down and he was still going afterwards.

>>64219064

I don't know if he should have won totally, but even if they were on more even ground before the earth split, like if he stood back up for more punishment he could have been set up to be way more badass.
>>
>>64218901
>losing your wife and your kids
>lol it's nothing

Hi, virgin
>>
>>64219029
>is already pissed
>father tries to appeal to what little conscience he has
>gets emotional and kills father anyway
>gets shot by a wookie crossbow because he was distracted
>takes out his anger on Fin by wailing on him
>before he can kill him Rey comes
>doesn't kill Rey because he wants her alive
I don't see the issue, maybe would have been better if he was more ruthless but we have a sequel to do that
>>
>>64217776
>>64217628
>>64217672
>>64217732

The Resistance is basically a group of volunterr mercenaries.

New Order is like ISIS if Allah was Snoke.

They're both small extremist factions.
>>
>>64219193
ALLAHU SNOKEBAR
>>
>>64219091
Interesting, so do you think she and Ben Solo were once in league? Would 't Kyli Ren remember her?
>>
>>64217628
Imagine a world without for-profit journalism and propaganda.

protip: you can't
>>
>>64217730
you're right
the premise of the next movie is that they build 2 starkiller bases, also kylo ren kills luke after revealing that he is lukes son and that he killed his father for being a ftm transexual
>>
>>64219140
>lol anakin be careful padme might die while giving a pretty ordinary birth in spite of our futuristic technology that likely has put these kind of deaths on the very distant past
OH MY GOD PALPATINE TRAIN ME ON THE DARK ARTS I NEED TO SAVE PADME AND CHOKE HER MYSELF LATER.
>>
>>64219193
New Order aren't extremists, they're moderate.
>>
>>64219483

#NotAllImperials
>>
>>64219483
>New Order aren't extremists
>Destroyed an entire planet system for shits and giggles as a part of a fascist militaristic event

Ok hun.
>>
>>64219410
In the novelization he says he recognizes her
>>
>>64215845
I just want to know how something like that got built and nobody knew?
The rebels didn't search through imperial documents, etc, after the war?
>>
>>64219608
Galaxies are big places.
>>
>>64218011
white is the small one

big is the black one

JJ!!!!!!
>>
>>64219547
>destroying your enemy's capital, crippling them and their abilty to fight you, is evil
I bet you supported the rebel scum in the galatic civil war, you degenerate
>>
>>64219692
It's time for bed, Ben.
>>
>>64219635
I realize that, but there wasn't any information to lead to finding out about it?
Did any Bothans know about it?
>kek
>>
>HUR DUR DUR, WHY IS THIS SPACE OPERA NOT HAVE TEH REALIZMZZZ!?!?!?!?!

And retards will say /tv/ hasn't been taken over by reddit....
>>
>>64219483
>from my point of view the jedi are evil!
>>
>>64218492
Two things
1- you don't get credit for stuff you didn't put in the movie
2- if you're one of those fags who think Lukes trained her or is her father, CITATION NEEDED

bonus- don't care how much time she spent climbing around wrecked starships, training his whole life, plus the fact that Kylo fuck face is a man, and has at least 40 lbs on her means he should have carved her like Anakin in lava
>>
File: reddit_harrison_ford.jpg (220 KB, 600x324) Image search: [Google]
reddit_harrison_ford.jpg
220 KB, 600x324
>>64219758
>what are established in-universe rules
>what is context
>what is canon
>"XDD just turn ur brain off bro"
>>
>>64217579
It blew up the Republic capital though.
>>
>>64219784
>2- if you're one of those fags who think Lukes trained her or is her father, CITATION NEEDED

>ace pilot
>strong force user
She's obviously a Skywalker, and since her being the sister of Ben Solo was not established on this movie, it's likely that she's Luke's daughter.
>>
File: 1440665486876.jpg (28 KB, 380x250) Image search: [Google]
1440665486876.jpg
28 KB, 380x250
>tfw the mary sue memes were true

why can't hollywood make a female protagonist with flaws?

this cunt is a genius pilot,fighter,mechanic and force user

I won't say she's good with the lightsaber because she only fought kylo who had a rough time with fucking finn, a storm trooper with no secret jedi training
>>
>>64219784
1- He wasn't trying to kill her
2- He had a bunch of major shit just happen to him so he was distracted and injured

Out of everything in the movie there's nothing wrong with the Kylo and Rey fight
>>
>>64219868
This too, he also was a lonely asshole to boot, of course he'd try to recruit her.
>>
>>64219857
I hope to fuck she isn't, a former student would be cool especially if she fell to the dark side before or something. But no more family shit pls
>>
>>64219898
She's going to be and you know it.
>>
>>64219859
Seemed like he was just fucking with Finn to vent his anger, like he didn't really take him seriously
>>
>>64216174
Yes, hollowing out the planet would greatly reduce the gravity and you would probably lose most of the atmosphere in the process. Not only that but fucking with the core would eliminate the magnetosphere and you would be cooked by radiation from the sun. Also, the sun >99% of the mass in a solar system, when the base absorbs the sun it would probably create a black hole and definitely crush anyone on the surface. I thought that the death starier death star was lame as fuck.
>>
File: 454534.gif (2 MB, 154x273) Image search: [Google]
454534.gif
2 MB, 154x273
>a starwars movie where there is no threatening villain

well thats a first.

Just compare kylo to Vader, Dooku or Maul.

he's a fucking bitch
>>
>>64219868

>about to win fight. final struggle and shes done

>she closes eyes and go super sayan on me

say again?
>>
>>64219713
Tell me anon, was dropping the bombs on Hiroshama and Nagasaki wrong?
>>
>>64216530
I would me more interested in how an hollow metal plant can sustain an eco-system with flora (as we can see the trees when kylo and rey fight).
>>
>>64219959
Time4bed
>>
File: 1349309277004.gif (199 KB, 200x212) Image search: [Google]
1349309277004.gif
199 KB, 200x212
>>64219948
>Vader
cultural fucking legacy

>Dooku
didn't do anything

>Maul
toy advert

try again
>>
>>64219898
I hope she's family :3c
>>
>>64219959
Nope!
They would have done it the other way around if they had the bombs.
Wasn't wrong.
>>
>>64219091
That's fucking retarded.
>>
>>64218429
>Not everything has to be big, dumb and obvious.
Yes, everything does need to be big and obvious for modern tentpole movies. They need to appeal to an international audience and to all the plebs back home too. the dialogue needs to be simple enough to translate into every language. if Wrath of Khan were released today it would be considered slow and boring. That's why modern action movies have frenetic pacing and barely bother trying to string the plot threads together; no one in the audience can follow a plot anyway so there is no point making the story coherent or giving characters believable motivations
>>
>>64219948
Vader is the only sith with a semblance of personality.
Hell, fucking Darth Maul was silent. That's how personality-less he is.
Kylo Ren is the best villian Star Wars has gotten since the OT.
>>
>>64218429
I don't mind if it's Star Wars, they can be big and obnoxious all they want.
Star Trek really didn't deserve the JJ Abrams treatment though.
>>
>>64218433
>I ignore that he was shot by Chewie's bowcaster
>I ignore that he had just killed his father
>I ignore that he was just playing with Finn
>I ignore that he wanted to keep Rey alive
>>
>>64220103
inb4
>all that is irrelevant/not enough
>raising the bar
>>
>>64218433

I seem to recall the dude being shot by Chewbacca minutes before he had to fight nignog and the racetraitor whore. That could probably play into why he wasn't at full lightsaber fighting capacity.

Im just grateful they didn't go with that choreographed shit from the prequels
>>
>>64219981
Why do you keep posting what your mom is yelling down to you in your basment?
This isn't your blog, I don't care that it's past your bed time.
>>
>>64220209
lmao why are you so angry tho
it's like i don't want to argue with you because you'd probably spout alien pseudohistory and i don't feel like perusing wikipedia sources to prove you wrong so go to sleep?
>>
>>64220037
Same logic could be applied to the new order. The republic would destroy them if they had a similar weapon, so why shouldn't the order do the same?
>>
>>64220103
>>64220165
>>64220175

Despite JJ making sure everything is spelt out in this fucking movie so that even dumb normies would get it you still managed to miss the double shots were he literally and figuratively shows how he tries to intensify his physical pain because it makes him stronger.

BRAVO RETARDS.
>>
>>64220274
it doesnt make him stronger it keeps him going
>>
>>64219868
Even if that was the case, they should have I don't know... actually established that he was injured, instead of him ineffectually hitting himself.
Also, you have no issue with Rey activating god mode when she's about to lose?
>>
>>64220274
>JJ making sure everything is spelt out in this fucking movie
How come Luke left a really convenient map behind?
Did the First Order planned to use Starkiller ever again, even though it just sucked the whole sun dry?
Whyyyyy
>>
>>64220246
First off, it's 9:00 here, way too early to go to sleep.
Secondly, if you aren't willing to argue, then don't post in the first place. You don't get to make a debatable statment and then when someone challenges you say "I don't feel like arguing". And your continual replying to me indicates that you're lying. If you really don't want to argue, just don't respond.
>>
>>64220335
JJ is an hack senpai, he just needed to appeal to dumb normies, never said he made a good movie since it's full of plot holes.
>>
>>64220301
>they should have I don't know... actually established that he was injured

It's pretty safe to assume that someone's injured when they get shot, and then they also showed his blood dripping onto the snow.
>>
>>64220363
>if you aren't willing to argue, then don't post in the first place
For starters, you want me to argue something completely unrelated because you're stupid and can't argue your way out of a paper bag. Second, you're so stupid that somehow missed the really obvious nazi imagery that was co-opted by JJ Abrams to make it really obvious that they are genocide maniacs. Did you miss the first scene of the movie where they shoot unarmed civilians, or maybe your ocassional aunerisms made you miss the beginning? Either you're 12 and go to sleep or you are incredibly stupid in which case you should go to sleep anyway.
>>
what is reys weakness exactly?

luke was super weak the first two movies and got his ass kicked,anakin was a child in the first one and got his ass kicked in the 2nd one

both finally became strong in their 3rd movie

but rey gets to start out strong?
>>
>>64220388
To be honest, it looked like his character shields took the hit, and he made himself bleed by punching himself.
Like when does anyone ever punch themselves in the blaster wound.. ever?
>>
>>64220499
>what is reys weakness exactly?
pretty shit with blasters
>>
>>64220474
I see thenproblem here, a fundamental dissagreement in philosophy. You seem to think the ends don't justify the means, I do, hence why you view those actions as evil, while I veiw them as justified.
It seems we can only agree to disagree.
Though the WW2 thing isn't unrelated, it shows how in war, you have to do horrible shit for the greater good.
>>
>>64220388
>can use the force to stop lasers
>can't use the force to stop blood to come out of his wound or to close his own wound

the Force makes no fucking sense, it just works when the plot demands it
>>
Wouldn't destroying the star your planet base is orbiting be really fucking bad?
>>
>>64220568
>a fundamental dissagreement in philosophy
Fuck off. You can't even spell, you petty child. I'm not going to argue philosophy with an idiot. The first scene on The Force Awakens would constitute a war crime in the real world, you ignorant buffoon. Literally executing unarmed people is a heinous crime on anyone's eyes, unless you happen to be a nazi, in which case you're 12 and go to sleep.
>>
>>64220634
Yeah everything should have been instantly frozen, unless the absorbed energy was still emitting heat. The planet should have collapsed into a black hole before that though.
But hey, everyone can travel at lightspeed on a whim on Star Wars, who cares. The concept is dumb but the sci-fi is as wonky as you'd expect of Star Wars.
>>
>>64220554
She kills multiple stormtroopers at long range shooting basically from the hip.
>>
>>64220605
Well normally using the force requires concentration, when he stopped the blaster he was in good condition. I imagine it would be a bit harder to use the force when you're wounded and currently fighting.
>>
>>64220655
>I'm not going to argue philosophy with an idiot.
yes you are
>>
>>64220759
Well, she's not as good with blasters as she is with everything else.
To be honest, Rey being so good with everything is kind of a service. It's like training being summed up already. Kind of like Korra, where we don't have to swallow another character learning the fuck out of everything again.
>>
I'm still curious;

Did they seriously blow up Coruscant in a 5 second throw away scene just to show how 'high' the stakes were?
>>
>>64220860
It wasn't Coruscant
>>
>>64220655
Every nation in the history of the world has commited things that would be considered war crimes, don't act like it's a big deal. And I think the nazis were evil, but it's war son. Something you've clearly never experienced. If you had, you'd understand that it sucks, you'll do bad things, feel terrible, but you'll that you had to do them in order to win. I do know that, and that's why I don't instanlty condem the first order just because of a few "war crimes" and the fact that they look like nazis.
>>
>>64220860
No it's some planet we never heard of..
>>
>>64220845
but korra was also terrible
>>
>>64220845
That's what made Korra a shit show.. no character developement, giving the female lead godlike abilities, and explaining away the magic that made the series good.
>>
>>64220922
While you may dislike Korra, you have to admit that not needing training on everything does open up the series for new stuff.
We won't have to go through Rey training on the next movies, which I think can be potentially good. There's a guarantee that Kylo Ren will return betterrer and badder too, and thus a more even match.

>>64220954
>no character developement
But that's false.
>>
>>64215845
It really is lazy. Instead, there should have been a sequence of rescuing R2-D2 from an alien smuggler character and his crew. That way there is no plothole of how he came out of low power mode for no reason.
>>
>>64220899
You clearly have not been in a war either, why are you arguing this. This is the most retarded non-sequitur ever. Do you actually have anything to argue?
>>
>>64220918
>>64220894
I feel just a bit of exposition would've been nice. Hux was like 'we're blowing up the Republic today' and then we saw a city planet get blown up so I just assumed it was Coruscant. How could the viewers know it wasn't?

Shit, the more I think about this movie the more it pisses me off. The fact that the Resistance fleet was so tiny was fucking dumb too. The First Order should've had a fleet around that base too.
>>
>>64221016

Can you describe Rey's personal journey through the film?
>>
>>64218208
>JJ obviously listened and corrected that

That's what he did for the whole movie
It's mediocre, but those fans don't dare to criticize because they got what they wanted.

True art don't give exactly what the spectator wants. The rich patrons of the 16th century didn't pay their artists waiting to get exactly what they expected, they wanted an original creation, a unique piece. TFA isn't art, it's industry.
>>
>>64221159
>I feel just a bit of exposition would've been nice.
It was supposed to resemble the whole Alderaan blowing up scene. We didn't know anything about Alderaan either. It's like poetry.
>>
>>64221076
Not fought, no, but I do programing work for the DoD, some of which includes having to get near the front lines, and all of which requires interacting with soldiers. When you're around war that much, you start to understand that their is no black and white morals. Looking like a nazi, firing on civilians, nuking cities, blowing up planets, using "enhanced interrogation" methods, that shit doesn't make you evil, it makes you somepne trying to win a war.
>>
>>64221174
A girl discovers she holds great power and sets on a quest to undermine the remmnants of a terrible empire while making new friends along the way.
>>
>>64221223
>Not fought, no,
So go tell a war veteran that you think killing unarmed civilians is a-ok. See their face contort out of disgust.
Even people who kill for a living on the army have standards, dude. You're clearly bad in the head.
>>
>>64221174
a girl is afraid of moving on from her past and letting go of what's behind her to focus on improving her future

she was scared of losing her parents which was the only thing keeping her working on that planet so she ran from responsibility and almost killed herself and her friends

she learned she had a bigger role than she knew and accepted that she had to go alone to save them and went to find luke
>>
>>64221287
And yet they still follow orders when told to do so.

Weird.
>>
>>64221385
>And yet they still follow orders when told to do so.
Except such things are not ordered because currently they constitute a war crime.
At this point, I think you're more in-line with ISIS, doe.
>>
>>64221016
Okay, Korra had next to no character development. Still barely any. But she didn't have to work for anything, everything, even airbending was just handed to her. At least she lost sometimes though. Rey gets everything granted to her with speculation as explanation. And then she wins every fight?
What does this even set up for? The sequel where, oh she fights the same guy again and wins because plot. The only thing that developed was her getting over leaving Jakku.
Training is important to show because it shows characters actually having to work for something. When you let them win everything it makes the villains look extremely cartoonish, cheapens the story, and makes the protagonist unbelieveable.
Thanks Jar Jar abrams
>>
>>64221287
Never said it was A-OK. But if you were to tell them that having to fire on and kill civilians in order to win a battle, or to complete you're mission is A-OK, they'd agree. They wouldn't like it, and niehter do I, but they woudn't be so deluded as to think you can some how keep a moral standard in war, and that the sad truth is you have to do bad shit. One of my good friends is proof of this. While on duty, he shot and killed a teen that was running torwards him, as he thought the kid was carrying an IED. Does he hate that he did it? Hell yes. But he thought that kid was going to kill him and his unit, and he would tell you that if he was ever forced into that situation again, he'd do the same thing, as he'd never let his brothers in arms die because he was blinded by morals.
>>
>>64221423
>what is the my lai massacre
>>
>>64221433
>Okay, Korra had next to no character development. Still barely any.
This is still false. I only watched portions of the first season and I still realized there was an entire character arch from Korra becoming brash and impulsive to patient and controlled. If this was undermined on further seasons is unknown to me. That was the arch on the first season.

>What does this even set up for? The sequel where, oh she fights the same guy again and wins because plot
I dunno, my gut tells me this is supposed to be resemble Empire, you know, the dark one on the OT. She might lose on the next one.
Sure, they'll eventually win, but this is par for the course on this genre, buddy.
>>
>>64221502
>Never said it was A-OK
So yeah first order is bad, k thanks for playing.
>>
>>64221544
Ok so the US Army is pretty heinous too?
>>
>>64221635
No, they do bad things, but they're justifiable becuse they're at war, so they themselves aren't bad.
>>
>>64221599
>>>64221433 (You)
>>Okay, Korra had next to no character development. Still barely any.
>This is still false. I only watched portions of the first season and I still realized there was an entire character arch from Korra becoming brash and impulsive to patient and controlled.

Yeah, that impulsive stupidity is essentially her main character trait.
>>
>>64219052
>Stops a blaster in midair and ignores it for minutes while it stays frozen
>can't even DEFLECT a bowcaster shot from further away
>>
>>64221682
No, war is heinous, but nessecary. World is grey, not black and white.
>>
Korra wasn't likable and didn't have dynamic with the cast, Rey did

she's a sue, but she's likable
>>
>>64221599
If it's supposed to mirror the OT, then shouldn't the bad guys be a threat of some kind, instead of people to breeze by on the way to the happy ending? Pretty sure Darth Vader was only stopped from wrecking Luke because Han shot him from behind
>>
Snoke seemed somewhat chill with Hux when starkiller base was blowing up. Maybe it was a ploy to draw luke out of hiding.
>>
>>64221719
b-but he was emotional!
>>
>>64221731
Learn to spell, then argue morals.
I'd like to see you justify the My Lai Massacre though. Go on, honey. Tell me how the soliders who raped helpless women and killed children had no option but to do so.
Go tell your friend that is constantly tortured about killing youth feels that you think this is a really cool thing, a solider going out of his way to rape war victims, I'm sure he'll greet your feelings with a big warm smile.
>>
>>64221719
Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but didn't he JUST kill his father after having a huge moral dilemma when Chewy shot him?
>>
>>64216373
It all makes since, leia sent han specifically to his death to ensure her apprentice fell deeper into the dark side.
>>
>>64221888
Why does that matter? Sith are all about passions and evil shit like that
>>
>>64221888
>a huge moral dilemma

also the cheapest scene ive ever seen in sw

>yes father pls help me, i really regret the hundred of kids and wifes ive killed the last 20 years of my life which constitues the most part of it
>>
>>64221877
Never ever said it was a good thing. What I'm saying is it's not a bad thing, just a thing. now was the raping wrong? Yes, because it wasn't needed to win. But killing civilians, leveling cities, and even destryong entire worlds are things that you have to do somethimes if you want to win.
Sherman got it right when he said "war is hell".
>>
>>64221719
didn't see it
>>
>>64221951
>>64222009
Just like Vader still had feelings and felt conflicted when it came to his family Kylo was the same, difference being Kylo didn't choose to redeem himself in the end.
>>
>>64222043
because the force isnt about sensing threats, but all about SEEING them
>>
>>64222018
>What I'm saying is it's not a bad thing, just a thing. now was the raping wrong? Yes, because it wasn't needed to win.
Neither is rounding up civilians to execute them, especially when they belong to a forgotten desert planet on the middle of butt-fucking nowhere that had no realistic way to counter-attack DO YOU SEE NOW OR DO YOU NEED FURTHER EXPLANATION BECAUSE YOUR UNDERDEVELOPED BRAIN CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT.
>>
File: hamill1.jpg (70 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
hamill1.jpg
70 KB, 630x420
>>64222068
>Kylo didn't choose to redeem himself in the end
Regards still believe he'll turn to the light side.
Shaking my head
>>
>>64222068
anakin was once someone good. or at least he cared for his family. ansty teen has had no developes to suggest otherwise except in that single scene
>>
>>64221194
ehehe thats just because it was the first movie.
>>
how come nobody ever crashes asteroids into planets at light speed? like fuck just slap a hyperdrive on a big ass rock and ram it into a planet. that would destroy shit extremely easily
>>
>>64222091
It's all part of a larger picture, what you view as killing civilians could just as easily be viewed as killing potential threats. we simply don't have enough info to say whether or not those people poses a possible threat.
And even then, rape is worlds away from that, as rape does nothing to win the war, while those killings could stop potential future uprisings
>>
>>64222161
So? There was nothing to suggest Vader cared about or had any feelings left until the end. Not until the prequels did you get ANY backstory on the man
>>
>>64220006

Dooku in Clone Wars whooped 3 other sith's asses simultaneously, adter being shot with a tranq dart that also blinded him.

Dooku one-shotted Anakin, and had a draw against Yoda in Episode II.

Don't fuck with Dooku.
>>
>>64222192
The aliums in Space Battleship Yamato do that
>>
>>64222192

Hyperspeed doesn't exist on the same materiel plane, probably.
>>
>>64221599
>Korra becoming brash and impulsive to patient and controlled
Korra literally solved the problem in book 4 by PUNCHING an ACTUAL LASER

she's still the same. Just made lesbo so they could pander to tumblrina SJWs and LGBTQRSTUVXYZ the last minute
>>
>>64222254
alright, yeah. but vader still had a pre-emptive scene where he tells luke he is his father, and casts doubts that he might care afterall, be it only for his son. maybe he wants to rule with him? its not a 180 degres decision for his character.

the fact that i cared so little about the relation between han and ben is telling. it was shit and useless, serving only as distraction so that he can get injured for the following fighting scene. it was fkg lame
>>
>>64218512
Yes. Thank you. His interrogations also felt like occlumency lessons
>>
>>64220274
It's not just wheter it's plausible or not. It's the fact that it happened.
>>
>>64220845
LoK sucked but at least Korra was trainnd since childhood before Book 1 began.
>>
>>64215845
What was the meeting for this like?

>the empire needs to be a threat
>a-another death star, but bigger
>meeting adjourned
>>
>>64219121
Can someone explain the traitor maymay? Non-Star Wars fan here
>>
>the Empire had a shit ton of resources to build moon-sized space stations
Fine.

>30 years after their defeat, the Empire exponentially more resources.
Wat?
>>
>>64223622
Best character in the movie calls out the traitor
>>
>>64223622
Stormtroopers are usually cannon fodder, but in one scene, one shouts "TRAITOR!" and takes out an electric baton, and Boyega has a boss battle with him.
>>
>>64222333
>implying dooku isnt a mary sue:^)
>>
>>64223622
An honorable man fights against perfidious oathbreakers.
>>
>>64218961
The whole point of his character is that he's a stupid kid and not a badass darth vader type like he wants to be

space elliot rodger
>>
>>64218141
They mention specifically that the Republic fleet was wiped out, so it's not as simple anon.
>>
>>64223936
What a threatening villain.
>>
File: Doomed.webm (3 MB, 720x304) Image search: [Google]
Doomed.webm
3 MB, 720x304
>>64215845

>This Thread

>Bitch, Complain, etc.

An attempt to clarify in science fiction terms. The meta civ. of the SW galaxy is clearly a high Type II on the Kardashev...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

For crying out loud, they have had FTL tech for over 20k years, have a city planet that has been a city planet for 15k of those 20k and have a population of around 8 SEPTILLION sentient beings. What I am trying to say is things look cool A Long Time Ago In A Galaxy Far Far Away.
>>
>>64223978
I thought so. He was pretty effective when it came to combat it was clear that the only thing he struggled with was his emotions and I don't see what that doesn't make him threatening
>>
>>64220274
He is hurting himself to avoid feeling the actual pain.
Have you never done that? What the fuck is wrong with you, it was the exact opposite of the shit you understood
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-28-23-18-23.png (429 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-28-23-18-23.png
429 KB, 1080x1920
>I didn't know Lucas had nothing to do with the new film.

I'm so fucking angry now
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.