[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It could have been great >1. The version of Rey in Michael
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2
File: 1450544098982.jpg (212 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1450544098982.jpg
212 KB, 600x450
It could have been great
>1. The version of Rey in Michael Arndt’s early scripts was called Kira, and she was described as a “loner, hothead, gear-head badass.”
>2. Unlike Rey, who is extremely reluctant to leave Jakku, Kira was eager to leave the planet, and a scene was written in which she fantasizes about leaving while watching spaceships arriving and departing from the planet.
>3. The version of Finn in Arndt’s version was named Sam, and all early art depicted him as a white man. Sam was described in Arndt’s scripts as “pure charisma.”
>4. The earliest version of Poe Dameron was tentatively referred to as John Doe, and production art depicted him as a black man. The character’s role in the film varied a lot — he was briefly considered as a Jedi, and then as a bounty hunter, before they landed on making him a pilot for the Resistance.
>5. When Poe was written as a bounty hunter, he had his own Wookiee sidekick.
>>
>6. Poe Dameron was originally going to die in the crash landing on Jakku, but J.J. Abrams decided to write the character into the second half of the movie.
>7. BB-8, known simply as “Surly” in early production designs, was originally written to first appear in a droid repair area on a Star Destroyer. Droids that could not be repaired there would simply be tossed into a furnace.
>8. Finn’s defection from the First Order was originally written to come after witnessing the airlock ejection of a captured Resistance crew.
>9. A version of the script had Finn being rescued by an indigenous tribe after crashing the TIE fighter on Jakku. The tribe would’ve performed a healing ritual on Finn, signaling his rebirth as a hero.
>10. The now iconic image of Kylo Ren stumbling through the forest on the Starkiller Base and igniting his lightsaber from the trailers was cut from the final version of the movie because it didn’t fit well into the film. “There might be a look or scene in a trailer that identifies as being powerful in that short form, but sometimes that doesn’t jibe with what’s happening in the long form,” J.J. Abrams told the Associated Press. “There were a couple of shots that ended up not being used in the film, simply because we were doing our best to make the movie be the best version of itself, which sometimes means losing a moment here or there.”
>>
>11. The primary antagonist of the early drafts was tentatively called the Jedi Killer, and the character’s appearance went through many Vader-esque revisions.
>12. One of the many designs for the Jedi Killer was reworked as the design for the Guavian Death Gang enforcers who raid Han Solo’s freighter.
>13. One version of the Jedi Killer was sustained by sun matter, and you would see him in his meditation chamber grasping and eating sun energy in the room.
>14. For a time, the Jedi Killer was to be accompanied by a floating torture droid that resembled a cross between the interrogation droid used on the Death Star in A New Hope and the Imperial probe droid seen at the beginning of The Empire Strikes Back.
>15. Jakku was initially conceived as a massive, planet-sized junkyard with design elements inspired by 1960s spaghetti Westerns and the 2011 Afghani short film Buzkashi Boys. The now iconic images of the crashed Star Destroyer and fallen AT-AT were around from the beginning.
>16. A downed Star Destroyer was also incorporated into the design of a lush green planet where Leia was going to be introduced, but that planet was cut, and the idea to have two crashed Star Destroyers in the movie was considered too confusing.
>>
>17. Starkiller Base was originally meant to be on Dantooine, the planet Princess Leia tries to get Grand Moff Tarkin to destroy with the Death Star rather than her home planet of Alderaan in A New Hope. The First Order would have retrofitted an old Rebel base for their purposes.
>18. General Leia’s base was conceived as a hidden fortress, inspired by The Guns of Navarone, in the cliff walls at the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland.
>19. Co-production designer Rick Carter briefly considered introducing a double-sided lightsaber, with one side having a blue blade and the other side with a red blade.
>20. Luke Skywalker was more prominent in Michael Arndt’s early version of the story, with Rey meeting him in the second act rather than Han Solo. This idea was scrapped because it upstaged Rey as the movie’s lead. “It just felt like every time Luke came in and entered the movie, he just took it over,” Arndt told Entertainment Weekly. “Suddenly you didn’t care about your main character anymore because, ‘Oh, Luke Skywalker’s here. I want to see what he’s going to do.’”
>21. An early Rey-and-Luke version of the plot was focused on a search for the remains of Darth Vader.
>22. Another version of the plot had Rey and Luke searching for some key bit of information about Jedi history hidden in the underwater wreckage of the second Death Star.
>>
>23. Yet another variation of this plot had Rey finding a hidden map inside the Emperor’s tower in the submerged remains of the second Death Star, and that map showing where the Jedi are and where Luke is hiding.
>24. A later discarded version of the plot revolved around a search for Luke’s old lightsaber, and the first shot of the movie after the opening crawl would’ve been the lightsaber floating through space. Poe Dameron would’ve obtained the weapon from Lor San Tekka in the opening scene rather than the section of the map that would be hidden inside BB-8.
>25. Darth Vader’s melted helmet was also the plot’s MacGuffin for a time, but was ultimately made an artifact owned by Kylo Ren without any explanation.
>26. A dreamlike scene of Luke submerged in sand was conceived and illustrated, but abandoned. “The sand is pouring in on top of him, and he doesn’t care,” production designer Iain McCaig said, describing the scene. “At one point, he suddenly just opens his eyes.”
>27. McCaig also pushed for Darth Vader’s ghost to appear in the film, and the image of the ghost would shift back and forth between Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader.
>28. The octopus-like Rathtar creatures were originally meant to be on the surface of the planet outside Maz Kanata’s castle, but when that scene was cut, J.J. Abrams ended up putting them on Han Solo’s freighter because he liked their design.
>>
Arndt also had a scene where Rey takes down a Star Destroyer with a lightsaber.

Please stop putting this hack on a pedestal.
>>
>29. Maz Kanata was originally going to bring Luke’s lightsaber from her castle to General Leia at the Resistance base. This scene was actually shot, and you can see a moment of the lightsaber being handed to Leia in the second trailer for the film. “It ended up being an unnecessary hot potato,” Abrams told the Associated Press. “It felt like the movie was stronger if we skipped over that moment. It definitely wasn’t meant to be diversionary. It was a scene in the movie I later realized I had put the entire crew through shooting, only to cut it.”
>30. The movie was also going to include more scenes with Leia, who was originally meant to be introduced earlier in the film, and her scenes would’ve focused on gathering intelligence from around the galaxy and plans to use a Resistance super-weapon.
>31. The super-weapon was called the War-Hammer, and was designed as a massive ship with a huge front that could penetrate a shield and deploy ships through it. The War-Hammer would be several times the size of a Star Destroyer.
>32. Supreme Leader Snoke was a female character at one point, and was later designed to look like a beautiful but warped marble sculpture.
>33. Captain Phasma was originally written to be a man, but J.J. Abrams decided late in the casting process to flip the character’s gender after realizing they could use a few more female leads.
>34. A four-person TIE fighter and a red Star Destroyer were both designed, but ultimately not used.
>35. A scene with several aliens gathering around a droid cockfight was considered for the sequence in the bar at Maz Kanata’s castle.
>36. A scene in which Maz Kanata asks Rey who she is and replies “no one” was cut despite being prominently featured in the trailer.
>37. Constable Zuvio, a character who would’ve been in the early Jakku sequences, was entirely cut from the film despite having his own action figure.
>>
File: Arndt.jpg (43 KB, 615x281) Image search: [Google]
Arndt.jpg
43 KB, 615x281
>>64214536
>wrote Little Miss Sunshine
>wrote Toy Story 3
>"hack"
>>
>tfw JJ actually made the more competent movie
What the fuck?

This could have been on par with ESB if it was done right but instead we have two hackfrauds with shit tier ideas posted ITT.
>>
>>64214536
So what?
Atleast thats an unique idea
At there are so much more here and yet all we got was the "New Fanservice Awakens"
>>
>>64214413
Honestly I prefer a boring Rey over a strong independent womyn one tbqh
>>
Meh not much but atleast it has a few ideas
>>
Why hasn't Leia been training with the force for the last 30 years? I don't want to see her with a lightsaber but it would be cool if she could use telekinesis
>>
It's not worth getting excited about half-formed script ideas, but these definitely sound like they at least have more personality than what made it into the film.
>>
>>64214552
> The super-weapon was called the War-Hammer, and was designed as a massive ship with a huge front that could penetrate a shield and deploy ships through it. The War-Hammer would be several times the size of a Star Destroyer.

LOL JUST HAVE HAN HYPERSPACE PAST THE SHIELDS THAT WILL WORK LMAO
>>
>>64214552
>like a beautiful but warped marble sculpture
i really, REALLY would have loved to see this
>>
>>64214413
This is how you fix the Force Awakens

>Rey, a young scavenger, waits on Jakku for her family to return. One day, she discovers a lightsaber that gives her visions. The lightsaber provides clues to finding its original owner, the man she believes to be her father, Luke Skywalker…
>Poe Dameron, a Resistance pilot, finds part of a map to Luke Skywalker’s last known location. Unable to communicate with the Resistance headquarters, he follows his most recent order, to find Skywalker and convince him to return…
>Finn, a novice stormtrooper, can’t bring himself to murder innocent civilians. He abandons his post and goes AWOL. As he tries to get off-planet, he meets Rey and Poe, the first people to treat him like a human being. They offer him passage to somewhere far, far away…
>Kylo Ren, a Sith Lord and Luke’s nephew, wants desperately to live up to Darth Vader. When Kylo receives news of his uncle, he ignores the orders of his master Snoke and goes in search of Luke, to defeat the Last Jedi and take the glory for himself…

What emerges is a story where four characters each have motivations and reasons to work together, or work against each other, on their quest to finding Luke Skywalker. I’d rather watch this.
>>
>>64214413
tldr

tell that to kanjiklub
>>
>>64214552

>33. Captain Phasma was originally written to be a man, but J.J. Abrams decided late in the casting process to flip the character’s gender after realizing they could use a few more female leads
>leads

literally did nothing, her gender didn't even mean shit because all she did was stand around.
>>
>>64214717
Have we been way too harsh on Jar Jar?
>>
> Luke Skywalker was more prominent in Michael Arndt’s early version of the story, with Rey meeting him in the second act rather than Han Solo. This idea was scrapped because it upstaged Rey as the movie’s lead. “It just felt like every time Luke came in and entered the movie, he just took it over,” Arndt told Entertainment Weekly. “Suddenly you didn’t care about your main character anymore because, ‘Oh, Luke Skywalker’s here. I want to see what he’s going to do.’”

im fucking raging

of course the would want to see what the hero and face of the franchise is going to do instead your mary sue diversity bitch with no reason to exist
>>
>>64217423
this seems like it'd be very smooth actually
i'd leave the rey luke connection out though
>>
>>64217276
I've imagined something like Sigma form MMX5
>>
>>64217791
Everything jj touches turns to shit he is a hack this is why I'm glad John Williams cucked jj binks on the score he must have been pals with George and George said 'pull it' the score for TFA was also shit along with the whole steaming pile of Mary sue shit
>>
>>64217793
The main problem is Han and the whole Starkiller base subplot. As soon as you remove Han, you remove an entire storyline that's irrelevant to the protagonists. You’re left with four characters and a far better, more interesting story
>>
>>64217531
She will leave her post in disgrace and become the leader of a Team Rocket kind of bad guy gang seeking revenge on the good guys and have a running gag of her armor becoming more dirty every time she appears.
>>
>>64217423
you copied this from somewhere, I remember it
>>
>>64217998
>gang
don't you mean.... klub?
>>
>>64218023
yeah the Every Frame a Painting guy's review, you should read it if you get a chance
>>
>>64214413
It had kanjiklub.
>>
>>64218111
oh man, reddit is here
>>
>>64218111
>i remember it
>"YOU SHOULD READ IT HUEHUE"
what happened to your IQ man
>>
>>64217939
Holy shit, try some comma next time. Why are all /pol/tier posts ashtma inducing?
>>
>>64218200
sorry I let my wife's son use the computer for a second
>>
>>64216472
She can't use the force. It's selective, not every descendant of a force user can use it
>>
>>64214488
>“Suddenly you didn’t care about your main character anymore because, ‘Oh, Luke Skywalker’s here. I want to see what he’s going to do.’”
Guess who will die in the next movie.
>>
>>64218111
where? link?
>>
>>64218753
BB-8?
Now that R2-Oniichan is available, he is redundant.
>>
>>64218762
https://medium.com/@tonyszhou/the-force-awakens-is-a-deeply-broken-film-b-c-one-character-shouldn-t-be-there-spoilers-b31e33a44ee6#.ywd6odtdx
>>
>>64218842
>Rei didn't bring Fin and Poe with her to Luke's hideaway
RIP Episode VIII
>>
>>64214413
>>64214423
>>64214452
>>64214488
>>64214524
>>64214552
thats fucking shit lmfao
>>
>>64218842
>medium
anyone know what's the deal with this site?
i've seen a lot of different writers on various subjects on that site
i don't see any adds but i'm wary of having to make an account
>>
>>64218830
bb-8 works better on screen
>>
>>64214413
>“loner, hothead, gear-head badass.”
>hothead
>HOTHEAD

t. Mr C Nolan
>>
>>64214413
The only good one in the entire list is the War-Hammer instead of the Starkiller.
>>
>>64219491
WE WAZ ORKZ
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.