[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay, I recently saw this film and it has become my favorite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
Okay, I recently saw this film and it has become my favorite film of all time..but there is something I didn't understand. Call me a pleb or whatever but what the fuck happened to Lawrence after the Turks tortured him? Excluding his bloodlust (which he mentioned earlier), it seemed as if he no longer knew what he was doing -- I could just be an idiot though. And for a PG rated film it's pretty depressing.

By the end of the film it seemed as if everything he did was for nothing.
>>
File: 213.png (260 KB, 563x542) Image search: [Google]
213.png
260 KB, 563x542
>>64213043
I don't want to brag but Peter O'Toole is my Grandmother's cousin.
>>
>>64213083
That's awesome.
Do you meet him at family occasions?
>>
Torture does things to a person
He went through a lot psychologically over the course of the film and that was some kind of turning point
>>
>>64213083
>>64213119
Thanks for answering my question, guys. Good to know that this thread will be buried by countless Star Wars shitposting.
>>
>>64213043

PTSD
>>
>>64213043
Lawrence was a little crazy. He is a real person, you know?
>>
>>64213631
I know, m8. I just don't really 'get' why he did the things he did.
>>
>>64213119
No.
>>
>>64213839
What kind of answer are you looking for?
>>
>>64213839
If you're really curious Lawrence wrote a book about his experience in Arabia called 'The Seven Pillars of Wisdom' which the film was largely based on. That may give you more insight.
>>
>>64213083
pretty dank family Tbhfam
>>
>>64213083
Send femanon in box, we procreate new life in blue-eyed wonderland.
>>
>>64213083

Did his ghost turn on you for not asking for a sticky?
>>
>>64213043
He was ass raped.
>>
>>64213957
Throughout the film I continued to assume that he was a puppet of the Brits. Overtime I got the impression that he really wanted to free the Arabs. Nearing the end of the film it seemed like he was pushing everyone away, and during the aftermath of the whole Damascus thing, when it was just him and the other two men, it seemed like he was trying to overcompensate for the fact that he screwed everything up or something. Depressing af.
>>
>>64213957
>>64214262
Basically, I don't understand Lawrence as a person.
>>
>>64214290
He was a gay faggot, that's all you need to know.
>>
>>64214262
>>64214290
I got the sense that he was very conflicted and probably didn't understand himself as a person, so all of that is true
>>
>>64214181

This is what actually happened to him
>>
Good thread.

A lot of movie snobs think David Lean films are just beautifull chocolate box imagery and lack any depth, which is total bullshit.
His black and white films (esp his two Dickens adaptations) are far grittier versions than his contemparies (Polanski for one) ever made. Just look at the scene when Nancy is being beaten to death by Bill Sykes.
>>
>>64215200
Does she have hairy pits?
>>
>>64215266
lol
>>
>>64213083
He's my wife's boyfriend's illegitimate grandfather.
>>
>>64213083
Was she upset when he didn't initially get a sticky?
>>
I saw it as a few things.

1) He was raped, anyone is going to be upset
2) Being singled out and captured at -- (Messina? can't remember where) would reinforce the thought that he wasn't an Arab and remind him that he was a man with no home: not accepted by the English and unable to blend in with the Arabs.
3) War had already taken a bit of a toll on his psyche I imagine, could have been breaking point
>>
The film is basically about how Lawrence thought he was some sort of Messianic figure but how the political reality of the Arabs left him alone and a broken man. A very anti-biopic, all the more remarkable in that it was made at a time when such biographical subversion was seen as revolutionary. It's no wonder that the film begins and ends with two very negative sequences, Lawrence's death and his banishment from the new Arab state.
>>
>>64216413
That's what I found most depressing. The beginning, and everyone going on about how he was their friend, and yet I don't recall seeing any Arabs there..just English. Even the fuck who slapped him in the Turkish hospital. And the end. Driving away with that look on his face, again, completely alone.

I wasn't prepared for that in a PG film. I wasn't prepared for a lot.
>>
>>64216569
>that chaotic Damascus scene when Lawrence realizes that the Arabs are no better than animals
Middle East politics in a nutshell
>>
>>64213083
Fuck off Taig, bet you share his faggot Irishman genes
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.