[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Damn this was a real pleasant surprise. I was expecting a no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10
File: NEPrEhK2SLH4TR_1_1.jpg (798 KB, 1200x1774) Image search: [Google]
NEPrEhK2SLH4TR_1_1.jpg
798 KB, 1200x1774
Damn this was a real pleasant surprise. I was expecting a no budget schlock-horror; Kurt Russel past his prime, shooting zombies in the vein of "The Quick and the Undead"...what I got was a masterclass in building suspense without CGI, great dialogue and some real down-to-earth perfomances.

>Those scenes where the Troglodytes just come out of nowhere and wreck the crew in seconds

>That one scene in which the film gets its name

>The all white-clad injun hunter dandy dude with his pro indian hunting skills: the most likeable villain of the year

>Excellent acting by Kurt Russell...dat scene at the end say goodbye to my wife, and I'll say hello to yours :;(

Really I cant recommend it enough; it's a wierd, scary, funny badass film and totally unique. What did /tv/ think when they watched it?
>>
>>64209127
bumpin to try and get some of these star wars threads in the 'chive. Lets talk about film not 2 hour long ad campaigns
>>
>>64209127
Waste of sid haig tho. Wish he was in it longer. Also seeing the mass rape would have been nice.
>>
>>64209127

Tarantino is probably butthurt this is a better Kurt Russell western than The Hateful Eight.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-12-29-12h54m40s430.png (284 KB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-12-29-12h54m40s430.png
284 KB, 1280x536
>>64209837
Absoloutely; needed more Haig. His bants with David Arquette were a great open...and it sets it up right off the bat that this is going to be a wierd western.

I cant remember anything about the rape; was it Brooder alluding to his indian fighting days? I actually thought they struck the balance between gorn and realism really well...even with O'dwyers fucked leg, they don't really show you it until the final act where most of the brutal violence takes place; It was a nice slow build up of dread as they knowingly walked towards their death.

Maybe /tv/ think it's an sjw film because it's basically a study in white male machismo; thinking with your dick, saddlin' up to save white women...and the peril that can land you in. That quote about idiots ruining the west summed it up pretty well.
>>
Good acting and good directing. But it's a bad movie. I'll tell you why: IT'S BORING, You could have William Hurt, Sam Rockwell and Philip Seymour Hoffman directed by Scorsese, it wouldn't matter one damn bit when the movie is boring.
Yes, I know it's a "slow buildup" but it's BORING. And it didn't have to be. Lots of good movies have "slow buildups" or are generally slow, but they are still good.

And here comes the bit that's going to pull everybody's panties into a collective twist:
I turned it off after about one hour. Because it was boring.
I like art films, I admire the works of Von Trier, Malick and Wes Anderson. I do not demand constant action, I demand not boring.
>>
i liked the movie, just didn't like what they did with brooder. he went from being the most experienced and best educated to easily killed.

just the face that catches the pair of beaners sneaking up and later gets ambushed while they steal horses is plain bullshit. even if you make the claim that the rest of beaners were hiding and were now aware of the traps after the first two got killed, brooder's horse put up a fight and they killed it. how did that not wake up brooder? his death was bullshit, too.
>>
>>64210079
Fuck yeah I hope he is...his stylised self-indulgence has sort of fallen out of vogue now. Everyone in the early 90's couldn't get enough of Resevoir Dogs/Pulp Fiction...I guess because it was something new. But Django, whilst pretty good...felt like a curtain call, the slick and smarm had worn off, and that seems to be proved by the reception Hateful 8 is getting.

Whereas BT feels like a genuine labour of love. A little long maybe, but a solid effort and directorial debut.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-12-29-13h23m12s574.png (888 KB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-12-29-13h23m12s574.png
888 KB, 1280x536
>>64210364
Oh man; I respect that sitting through a movie is an investment, and if it hasn't caught you by the end of the 1st act then it probably wont grasp you for the 2nd...but I'd recommend toughing it out for the final act, the film ramps up the pace. But it is niche' ; I mean...when Sid Haig is in your movie you know its going to be niche. I am biased because I do love some quality cowboy banter and slow moving establishing shots across the desert tho. Still better than The Rover which was a post-apocalyptic exercise in tedium.

>>64210413
Was he truly though? He was the best killer of the bunch, but arrogance and hatred clouded his judgement. Look at the guy lying back smoking a cigar with his legs crossed like a 20th century fuckboi...his solution is lay down some bells and shoot anything that crosses them.

I think by the time they reach the cave they are all exhausted and thirsty, just as Russel warned...and thats why Brooder started to slip. Why the hell does he ask for the repeater right after losing his hand ?

He was a genius when it came to killing savages and not much else...he volunteered to join the group because he knew he was good at killing. But his death goes to prove that he was pulled too far into his own hatred and vanity that there was no other way out for him...he wanted to kill savages and nothing more until his final breath..
>>
It was honestly really nice to see Matthew Fox again.
>>
>>64209127
>pleasant
i really like this movie. a LOT.
however, i would not use the word 'pleasant' to describe it in any way
>>
File: applause.png (56 KB, 206x213) Image search: [Google]
applause.png
56 KB, 206x213
One of the rare horror movies for me to actually scream out " nooooo fucking wayyyyy!" when the trogs start to brutalize that guy into meat.

I am also glad that the woman kept her shit together instead of being the retarded, typical screaming wombat of "we gotta get outta here save meeeee! Because I am the pussy in this movie."

Instead she kinda just clinically accepted the possibility that death was a great possibility and survival was slim.

Great film... dare I say for this double category: horror-western - the best of 2015. Kurt was fantastic, and the dialogue was on point.
>>
File: 56random.jpg (24 KB, 241x300) Image search: [Google]
56random.jpg
24 KB, 241x300
>>64210364
You just dont get it.
Maybe this genre isn't for you.. hell its extremely rare for hollywood to release a western now anyway.

If you grab this film and the last 6 westerns of recent release... for excitement. This movie would lead... no doubt. The other ones are at its core are the usual dribble of:

some kind of business transaction that gets fucked up, a convoluted love story, civil war bullshit, crazy mexicans fucking progress up, gold rush, the lead is a murderer but you think he is a good guy or visa versa.... typical shit.

http://movieweb.com/movies/2015/western/

Kurt even explained it that they are riding for 3 days which normally takes 5 days to get there.
Thats brutal riding on horseback.. not in a plush leather seat of a SUV with 4-wheeldrive and shock absorbers.

They are going in light not with a massive arsenal of supplies to. Plus the one guy is already injured and still going on this journey.

Its obviously a cluster fuck before it even begins. Its not like they jump into a jeep and ride across the outback with AK-47s in a rambo style bloodbath. Kurt even says " this isnt a bloodbath its a rescue." or something along those lines.

Movie is great you should give it another chance.
>>
One guy walks into a bar.. and fucks everybody's world up. Thats for sure.
>>
>>64213711
that man's name?

David Arquette
>>
File: tomahawk.webm (2 MB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
tomahawk.webm
2 MB, 1280x536
>yfw the cavalary from gatesville isn't coming
>>
>>64213610
>Movie is great you should give it another chance.
i agree

the pace was slow, but it moved

gruesome, creepy, dark humor and *shrug* i think the acting is pretty cool.
>>
File: c22874d5caea7034.gif (2 MB, 285x205) Image search: [Google]
c22874d5caea7034.gif
2 MB, 285x205
Both westerns I've seen with cannibals have been good.
>>
>>64213890
that scene is so disturbing
>>
This movie is overrated as fuck. The savages were ridiculous and the sound effects were probably worked on by a highschool student, holy shit they were bad.

The great acting could not overcome this films numerous failings.
>>
>>64214695
i think you teenagers have unrealistically high expectations
it's a movie.
a horror movie.
>>
>>64214935

I expected a good movie, that's all. We can't all be satisfied by a big-ole helping of shit being shoveled into our mouths.

This is the kind of movie that teenagers love.
>>
>>64215019
you really expect satisfaction?

you're probably too young to be browsing 4chan
>>
>>64209127
Watched it a few days ago, and I loved it.

>>64214190
This. Ravenous scratched an itch I never knew I had. Bone Tomahawk is a good addition to that weird western genre.
>>
Threads like this make me feel like a pleb. I thought it was awful. The only redeemable or even halfway entertaining thing was the old guy and everyone telling him to shut the fuck up. Also the leg injury added an interesting dynamic but at the end of the day the wife gets raped a little and everyone lives happily ever after, they even fucking walk into the sunset. Guy should have lost his leg.

Ending was retarded, he just magically knows how the tribes communicate, it was laughable that he wasn't killed while sleeping. The movie asks you to take this Cowboys vs Troglodytes seriously but is just not very well written. The rich snobby guy was also terribly miscast. Some decent scenes here and there but its boring like so many anons point out. I would hardly call it a western, those are pretty at the very least.
>>
>>64216118
dont let them fool you anon, this movie was awful.
>>
>>64213890
Uh, fuck this, ain't gonna watch it. That's worse than any Tarantula movie and I'm still shaken by it. I'm reminded of what John Wayne said in his Playboy interview back in the 70s, in which he states that film violence is an illusion where the filmmakers don't have to show the brutal act of killing since it can be interpreted, but this scene went too damn far for my taste.

brb rinsing my mind with capeshit and quips
>>
>>64213890
The most unsettling thing I've seen on film in a long time. The build-up before this happens really amplifies the horror--it's, what, an hour and a half before this happens? The violence before this is pretty standard, and then things ramp up without warning and you get to the butchering and its just mesmerizing. No fast cuts, just the steady shot of his horrible death and the sheriff trying to comfort him. This whole scene was genuinely disgusting in the best kind of way.
>>
>>64216491
>>64216544
it IS a horror movie you pussies
>>
It was just ok. It could have done with more exploration of the bad guys and the caves at the end. Like, a full on ritual where they cut that guy open would have been cool. And maybe a not so happy ending would have fit the tone better.
>>
hey what about that part when he slices Kurt open and puts that heated flask in his side
>>
>>64217113
It was my interpretation that the ending was ambiguous; with a 5 day walk back to Bright Hope and O'Dwyer with gangrene-leg. You hear the shots but don't know if he managed to take the remaining 3 down, and the old codger throwing the stone on the ground I thought was a throwback to David arquette disturbing the hallowed ground at the start....I bet they all got raped and eaten
>>
File: 88.gif (858 KB, 240x228) Image search: [Google]
88.gif
858 KB, 240x228
>>64216898
I know, but I didn't think it was going to be that graphic. I was attracted to it because it was also a western and had Kurt Russel in it, so I proceeded to download the movie

until I saw that webm
>>
>>64217154
I think it was just a torture-punishment when they found out the flask is what one of them, so they slice him open and throw it in there as a symbolic sort of giving him a taste of his own medicine sorta thing
>>
>>64217239
some of the movie is a bit difficult to stomach, but i think the overall experience is worth it

>>64217290
interesting anon.. yea, ok
>>
I still feel like this movie falls apart in the last act and would have been better if they just had the balls to make the troglodytes a normal Indian tribe
>>
>>64211265
yeah what the hell he was excellent
>>
>>64210198
when nightowl asked his wife how many there were she said twelve and started acting nervous. It was implied she was raped by them.
>>
>>64217446
>It was implied she was raped by them.
No it wasn't
>>
>>64217446
Maybe but if you take into acount that she was not beaten, and that her clothes were in perfect condition, it's pretty clear they didn't rape her. But you get a glimpse when they leave after the sheriff dies what her fate would have been, and it was worse than death.
>>
>>64218106
Were the one that they see missing their limbs/eyes/tongues?
>>
>>64211229
nigger, it's established early on that he's a womanizer, well education, and well trained in combat.

they then reinforce it with him killing the coyotes before anyone else manages to raise their arms, and when he catches the two beaners sneaking up. after that he magically sleeps through their horses getting stolen, and his getting killed, and nearly gets killed himself. his performance when they encounter the troglodytes is pitiful, too.

not to mention that the guy with the fucked up leg then takes brooder's place as the badass and manages to wreck more troglodytes than the rest of them put together.

i still like the movie but the characters really fall apart towards the end. it's as if the writers decided early on who gets to survive and who dies and then just half-assed how they're going to accomplish that even if it means going against earlier character development.
>>
>>64218247
missing limbs and tongues, and boar tusks shoved into the eyes. + pregnant.
>>
>>64218606
Established by who though? The only one that goes into detail of all those accounts is Brooder himself. All we know is he talks smart, tried to get with night owls wife, and killed a bunch of indian women and children.

Thats what I loved about his character; I always felt there was the possibility he was a bullshitter. I definitely knew he was a killer by the way he did admittedly kept the group from being attacked by coyotes and bullet-timed those mexicant's...and I believed him when he said he killed women in children because Matts acting is so good you can see the hatred burning in his eyes when he proclaims it.

Anything else though? "Many women have invited me to dessert" "I killed 116 injuns" "I am the smartest one of the group because I didn't get married" yada yada....it's all just psychopathic bluster. He is a textbook psychopath by the way he dresses, tries to dominate the group at the start, and has an overtly-grand perception of himself. When really he's just a good killer and an alright survivalist.

On what account did he ever help the group other than do some scouting and kill some dudes? Even Chicory was combat trained from the Civil War; Brooders more akin to one of those railroad indian hunters western pacific hired to burn down reservations, build tracks through ect.

Thats what i liked about the movie overall really. It was a good character piece: initially they seem archetypical, but theres a nuance there. Look at the way each man sleeps; you gauge their character without needing dialogue at all.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.