[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth spending 3 hours of my precious time watching this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: Barry_Lyndon_A.jpg (26 KB, 300x434) Image search: [Google]
Barry_Lyndon_A.jpg
26 KB, 300x434
Is it worth spending 3 hours of my precious time watching this? Any good?
>>
His best imho senpai
>>
Yes.
>>
it is
>>
It's not like you have anything better to do anyways.
>>
>>64207719
Ryan O'Neal has all the charisma of rice cakes only made out of styrofoam peanuts.

That said, it's a Kubrick film and the cinematography is absolutely beautiful. The story's pretty interesting, too, but not so interesting to make me forget how much I dislike O'Neal as an actor.
>>
>>64207719

consider it a test to find out if you are a pleb or a patrician.
>>
it's one of those movies where the cinematography better than the overall movie.
>>
>>64207923
how would you know if you're a pleb or patrician?
>>
>>64207864

Not all people are charismatic. His character is totally believable and that's what matters. It fits the movie.
>>
File: 1387133287906.jpg (17 KB, 461x509) Image search: [Google]
1387133287906.jpg
17 KB, 461x509
>>64207864
Its fucking normies like this that aggrevate me. He is the perfect actor since he doesn't deserve the role. He shouldn't be there and can't act the part...WOW JUST LIKE BARRY LYNDON HIMSELF..he doesn't deserve his wealth and can't act his class and play the role.

Thats why he is the perfect choice.
>>
>>64207719
It's Kubrick's best.
>>
>>64207719
Normally I would say read the book first, but Kubrick probably knew about as much as Thackeray did. For example, Kubrick must have known that he was telling a story about the Norman dispossession in Ireland. The French family that Barry came from were doing quite well in trade during the 1200's, but this didn't last long.

>1315-18 – A devastating famine hit Europe. It affected the Normans more than the Irish because the Normans were based in port towns. One of their key sources of food was imports from Europe. During the famine these dried up and the Normans suffered greatly.

In Literature, certain stories like The Pearl Poet's 'The Green Knight' contain a few more elements of the Norman dispossession.
>>
File: image.jpg (117 KB, 800x395) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117 KB, 800x395
>>64208260
The novel deals with the character's attempts to retain Barryscourt castle, which was not imaginary by any means. Thackeray could not have been ignorant of this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Barry_family
>>
>>64208260
Terrible logic
>>
>>64207864
You do realize this movie is satirical right?
>>
Definitely
>>
>>64209412
All of Kubrick's characters are partly satirical. You can stand outside of any of his characters for their subjectivity.

Tom Cruise is playing Inspector Clouseau in Eyes Wide Shut.
>>
>>64207719
It's fluff. If u like croissants and dancing queers you'll love it senpal
>>
>>64207719
Seriously; one of the best films ever made
>>
File: 1450037993739.gif (81 KB, 182x249) Image search: [Google]
1450037993739.gif
81 KB, 182x249
Your opinion of this movie will label you as either a poser or a skilled patrician.

It's not very good. It's obvious Kubrick had little passion for it when making it.

It's worth watching. The first hour is actually pretty good. It just sortof slowly dribbles and decays into unenthusiastic dispassionate garbage.
>>
>>64207719
It's a very good film and worth watching. But anyone that says it's Kubrick's best is outing themselves as a wannabe hipster pseudo-intellectual
People only claim to love it because it's Kubrick's most obscure film made after the 60s so they think it gives them cred.

Truthfully, the film is great until the last third where it falls apart completely.
To go even further, there's a fun drinking game you can play, drink everytime:
>the theme music plays
>a scene opens with a closeup that slowly zooms out
>drink a third time when both happen simultaneously

You can play that game with WKD and you'll still get destroyed. But yes, it's worth watching
>>
is seven samurai really worth 4 hours?
ive seen the magnificent seven already
>>
>>64207719
Most definitely man. That is one of the best movies made. Hell as a filmmaker I'd even wish I had the lenses he used on that.
>>
>>64210880
Unlike Barry Lyndon, Seven Samurai is a great movie that doesn't run to shit towards the end. As someone who's watched both magnificent and samurai I'd say samurai is definitely a lot better. Seven Samurai actually makes me feel at multiple points throughout the movie. I like it when stuff makes me feel, it's rare.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.