[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When where you when Quentin Tarantinos first flopped movie was made?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 20
File: itsover.png (427 KB, 1222x516) Image search: [Google]
itsover.png
427 KB, 1222x516
When where you when Quentin Tarantinos first flopped movie was made?
>>
File: 1342914746258.jpg (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1342914746258.jpg
14 KB, 300x300
>>64207084
>70 mm almost 3 hour western is a worse movie than a childrens flick

what went wrong
>>
>>64207371
it was written and directed by a cuck.
>>
>>64207084
>what is Death Proof
>what is My Best Friend's Birthday
>>
>>64207371
Unfortunate timing.
DESU the second half after the intermission felt bizarre, and like everybody behaved unnaturally. The dixie sheriff had no reason to cotton to the major after what he did to the general, yet he inexplicably does.
>>
>>64207435
it would still be an inferior movie to TFA if it was released 3 years later
>>
>>64207084
It was the first QT movie I disliked.
Really unlikeable characters (on purpose I know, but still)
It was missing both good dialogue, and the tense scenes Quentin is known for.
I could't give two shits when a character dies in this.
>>
>>64207513
I don't care about star wars.
>>
>>64207084

>first

aww, too young to remember jackie brown and death proof?
>>
>>64207596
Jackie Brown is good senpai, and it received a positive critical response. Lots of people went to see grindhouse.
>>
>>64207596
death proof was great. only edgelord kiddies dislike it, i.e. cuckatino's main fanbase.
>>
>>64207084
You mean his Eighth flop?
>>
>>64207084
Hateful 8 is great. I enjoyed it.
Western Reservoir dogs and obviously better than jacky Brown or death proof
>>
>>64207596
Jackie Brown is his best movie, senpai.
>>
File: 1421054813650.jpg (265 KB, 1223x1240) Image search: [Google]
1421054813650.jpg
265 KB, 1223x1240
>tfw qt retires from film making after the poor reception th8 received
>>
But H8ful can't fliop!
IT'S FILMED ON 70MM!
SEVENTY MILLIMITER!!!
>>
>>64207727
I hope he just moves on. Inglorious Basterds was good and he should pivot back to those instincts.
>>
I can't find any information on who the fuck the narator in the last few acts is. was it truly uno farto himself?
>>
>Good tier
Jackie Brown

>decent tier
Pulp Fiction

>pushing it
Reservoir Dogs
Inglorious Basterds

>shit
everything else
>>
>>64207872
Yeah QT was the narrator. Source: I saw it on Glorious 70mm on Christmas day
>>
File: fourhacks.png (219 KB, 768x387) Image search: [Google]
fourhacks.png
219 KB, 768x387
Already happened
>>
>>64207883
Inglorious Basterds is superior to pulp fiction, and Jackie Brown is a different class of movie.
>>
>>64207435
That's definitely the biggest problem I have with the movie. Why would the sheriff not do anything to the major, after the major killed the old general, who the sheriff clearly respected?

I mean, I definitely wanted the sheriff to side with the major, but as far as character motivation goes, it would make more sense for him to prefer that the major gets killed.
>>
Quentin Tarantino's movies ranked from the best to the worst:

1. "Death Proof"
2. "Inglourious Basterds"
3. "Kill Bill"
4. "The Hateful Eight"
5. "Pulp Fiction"
6. "Django Unchained"
7. "Jackie Brown"
8. "Reservoir Dogs"

Quentin Tarantino's movies ranked from the most metamodernist to the most postmodernist:

1. "Death Proof"
2. "Inglourious Basterds"
3. "Django Unchained"
4. "Kill Bill"
5. "The Hateful Eight"
6. "Jackie Brown"
7. "Pulp Fiction"
8. "Reservoir Dogs"
>>
>>64208030
That's why I felt something funky happened with the movie after Michael Madsen leaked parts of the script, or Qunetin is doing some nihilistic indulgence in cuck-media shit I don't understand. I definitely didn't want him to side with the major, but I didn't feel like I was supposed to. I felt like the ending was almost supposed to be disappointing.

I may be rationalizing though, because ultimately the movie was just a mess.
>>
>>64208050
tripfags filtered:
1. you
>>
File: 630full-four-rooms-screenshot.jpg (40 KB, 630x329) Image search: [Google]
630full-four-rooms-screenshot.jpg
40 KB, 630x329
>>64207967
The witches skit ruined the film and most critics didn't bother watching it past that point. Antonio Banderas saved the movie.
>>
>>64207084

I don't understand why this place loves to make fun of Quentin Tarantino so much. I think he's a great director, and as someone who's been watching his movies since Reservoir Dogs, he still holds up very well. I just recently rewatched the Kill Bill movies with my wife's son and we both had a great time watching it. I'm sure that Hateful Eight will be regarded as a gem a few years down the road, just like Django.
>>
tarantino a shit
>>
>>64207084
>creates cuckold propaganda
>gets cuckolded at the box office
>>
>>64208050
Reservoir dogs us my favourite Tarantino film.... :( ....
What u got against it !?
I suppose the burden of proof is on me to justify why its a good film. ......
>>
>>64208104
>wife's son

Are you memeing or actually a cuck
>>
>>64208171
>replying to a tripping shitposter

all me btb
>>
>>64207435
>The dixie sheriff had no reason to cotton to the major after what he did to the general, yet he inexplicably does.
I hate this fucking movie but the Sheriff most certainly had reason to trust Jackson because Jackson stopped him from drinking the poisoned coffee.
>>
>>64208238
No, the hangman did, when he said it was poisoned. There's also a bunch of intervening time where he should have displayed his displeasure with the Major, but he didn't.
>>
>>64208171
It is overly ironic, i. e. the characters lack control and self-awareness in their own story, and are merely puppets to the author and the viewers, as opposed to being equals. That's why I don't find the movie very interesting.
>>
>>64207435
>and like everybody behaved unnaturally

Like any Tarantino flick.
>>
>>64208332
Even within the context of his movies, their behavior did not follow.
>>
>the Jody gang could have easily killed Ruth when he first entered the cabin
>Ruth and Warren, veteran bounty hunters, did not recognize any of the Jody gang. Their bounties were so high that their mugs would have been on wanted posters everywhere.
>Mannix didn't seem to care at all about General Smither's death, despite bonding with him a few minutes earlier
>Minnie didn't react at all to Bob entering her store, despite her hatred of Mexicans
>Mannix being able to climb and hang Daisy on the rafters, despite having grievous injuries

>Filming a 70mm feature where 90% of the film takes place inside a cabin

QT's worst film.
>>
>>64208176
Sometimes adults with kids get remarried. Let go of your cuckold fetish.
>>
If you didn't see this coming after how bad Django was, I don't know what to tell you. The only reason that movie got good reviews is because of all the white guilt boners it produced.
>>
>>64208440
That doesn't change the fact that it is still your child, not just your wife's.
>>
>>64208370
>tfw every complain you listed is 100% true
QT must have been snorting a pile of coke when making this, I can't believe it's from the same man that gave us Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds.
>>
>>64208505
Unless her son isn't a child.
>>
For real know, lets rank QT's films:
1. Inglorious Basterds
2. Kill Bill 1/2
3. Pulp Fiction
4. Django Unchained
5. Reservoir Dogs
6. Hateful Eigt
7. Jackie Brown
8. Death Proof
>>
woulda been better if everything didn't tie up so neatly with the gang

daisy's past was interesting
joe gage was mysterious
the hangman was one of the most interesting characters
and the mystery of what happened to the haberdashery

once everything was explained away by the gang there really wasn't much tension because you didn't really care for anyone anyway and knew samuel l jackson wouldn't be the first to die
>>
>>64208050
>metamodernist
my favourite made-up word of the day, thank you tripfag
>>
>>64207967
>14%
Jesus. I really liked that movie.
>>
>>64208050
Into the filter you go
>>
>>64208050
I guess I get you're memeing with "metamodernist" but you clearly don't understand the term if you put the most "LOOK AT ME DOING PASTICHE" movie at the top for metamodernism
>>
File: 1443130426009.png (270 KB, 464x395) Image search: [Google]
1443130426009.png
270 KB, 464x395
>mfw I snuck into a 70 mm showing after buying a ticket for Star Wars at half the price

I'm pretty sure Quentin would spit blood in my face if I told him that.
>>
>>64208370
This.
And the ending being two men celebrating that they hanged some broad that was already in their custody just seemed grotesque to be honest, I've liked the over saturated violence in his other movies, but in this one I found it to be just gross.
>>
>>64208646
>Jackie Brown ranked so low
Come on man that movie has some amazing performances, also great black soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgsJLGQTfEE
>>
>>64208856
"Death Proof" is not a mere pastiche, it has the most "real" and "alive" characters of any of his movies, who actually break the pastiche premise.
>>
>>64207084
>when Quentin Tarantinos first flopped movie
What is Inglorious Bastards?
seriously tho, haven't seen h8ful8, but to me IB was the bottom of the barrel, absolutely nothing positively good about that movie.
>>
>>64209140
Inglorious basterds is genuinely one of his best movies. I have rewatched it more than pulp fiction.
>>
>>64208923
yeah there wasn't any feeling of catharsis when Daisy died, it just felt like overkill since she was smacked around and abused the entire movie.
>>
>>64209140
Inglorious Basterds is hundred times better than this tripe.
>>
Was I supposed to be happy or something when Daisy died?
I feel like Tarantula wanted people to cheer, or to have that sort of feeling, like when Kurt Russell gets beaten down by the chicks in Death Proof.

But Daisy and her crew were the best and most fun characters in the movie. Everyone else (besides General Old Man and Zoe Bell) was absolute trash.
>>
>>64209257
Yeah this, I found the violence in Django, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill and basterds to be mostly hilarious and disconnected with reality.
For some reason the violence in this just seemed needless and disgusting.
Like when the brains of the dude gets splattered all over Daisy's face and with the guy sucking Samuel's dingus, the scenes were too long and uncomfortable.
Maybe that's the point though, that his statement is that violence is disgusting, and you should feel bad for liking his older movies or something, i don't know.
>>
>>64209180
>>64209290
It's also the QT movie I've seen the most times, but I can't see its appeal compaired to something like Pulip Fiction or Jackie Brown.
It deals with a very serious theme that clearly goes over Tarantinos head, and you don't even see the Bastards do cool stuf.
I thing U. Farto should stick to the american soil cause that's where hes at least interesting.
>>
>>64209531
>a very serious theme
>not a serious subject matter

At least you have the decency to admit that what you're talking about is a figment of imagination.
>>
A little late in his career for a "stage play" movie like this, especially since Reservoir Dogs already was one, and there's no way he could top that.

There was also no one to like or care about.
Everyone was too distrustful, the best characters died. It was like a big exercise to bridge the gap between this Northern soldier and this Southern rebel, but neither were likable or even interesting.
>>
>>64208370
>>Mannix didn't seem to care at all about General Smither's death, despite bonding with him a few minutes earlier

Yeah this was ridiculous considering how much the rest of the film focused on race. the General's death had no consequences or follow-up beyond QT's shitty narration
>>
>>64208902
why even lie about this
hateful eight cost the same as a regular movie
>>
>>64209621
This.
>>
>>64209602
don't know why I even bother, but could you mind explaining yourself instead of being a pretentious faggot?
>>
>>64209719
Why don't you clarify what you meant by 'serious theme' first, and be explicit.
>>
Would've made more logistical sense if Kurt Russell and Samuel L Jackson were the two who survived to the end.
>>
almost every negative H8 review only complains about the "racism" and "misogyny"
>>
>>64209804
Tried having a serious discussion of the problems with the movie higher up in the thread, but it was supplanted by PIDF and disney shitposting.
>>
File: 1446690681027.png (409 KB, 626x683) Image search: [Google]
1446690681027.png
409 KB, 626x683
>>64209621
>you have to like a character in a movie for the movie to be good
>you have to enjoy a movie for a movie to be good
Pleb piece of shit
>>
>>64209644
it's 8 dollars more in nyc
>>
>>64209804

>shitty characters
>shitty writing
>shitty story format
>shitty attempts at humor
>shitty attempts at pathos

Proved you wrong.
>>
>>64208370
>>
>>64209748
I meant the theme of WW2. I meant Europe, I meant Holocaust, I meant Nazism.
>>
>>64209864
Well fucking obviously.
What the fuck do you watch?
>>
>deathproof is in my top 10 of all time
Fells good mane
>>
File: 1420106413711.png (127 KB, 282x298) Image search: [Google]
1420106413711.png
127 KB, 282x298
>>64209887
Not if you're unable to elaborate in essay format for every one of those points, you didn't.
>>
>>64209864
>you have to like a character in a movie for the movie to be good
Yep. I prefer to care about ANYONE in a film.
Yep. I don't enjoy watching things that I don't enjoy.
>>
>>64207762
>Inglorious Basterds was good
neck yourself.
>>
>75%
>flop
>>
>>64209941
If you need me to explain what I mean by "shitty characters," you're not worth speaking to any further.
>>
>>64209912
>holocaust

had zero to do about the holocaust, which is defined as the systematic extermination of the jews by industrial means.

WW2 isn't a theme, Europe isn't a theme. The theme of the movie was the moral equivalence of cinematic propaganda, and he executed it very well. Its his only movie where the violence is illustrative of his idea.
>>
Quentin has officially lost it.
He should quit before he ruins his reputation before it gets modern Simpsons level.
>>
>>64207084

>98% want to see

I hate that damn "want to see" shit. If somebody is going to go to the damn RT page prior to release then there's a good chance they want to see the damn movie, so its always 90%+.

Its fucking stupid.
>>
>>64209941
u smoke gay wed?
>>
>>64210088
u mad bro
>>
File: Pathetic.png (1 MB, 831x904) Image search: [Google]
Pathetic.png
1 MB, 831x904
>>64209644
>"hateful eight cost the same as a regular movie"
>admitting you live in some podunk backwater mudpit that doesn't have a theater with 70 mm projectors

I bet if I drove by your house, I'd start hearing a Sarah McLachlan song start playing in my head
>>
>>64209926
>Well fucking obviously.
No, then you're biased as opposed to objective, and never do the film justice.
>>64209947
>I prefer to care about ANYONE in a film.
Who doesn't? Point still stands. A film doesn't have to pander to your every whim to be good.
>Yep. I don't enjoy watching things that I don't enjoy.
See above. Whether or not you enjoyed a film shouldn't factor into your objective opinion of it. That's more akin to critiquing your own tastes and opinions than the film itself, since all you're really doing is forming an opinion based on something formed in your head of the film you're trying to critique.
>>
>>64210174
>>64210133
>>64209905
I want /b/ to leave
>>
>>64210070
>The theme of the movie was the moral equivalence of cinematic propaganda
that's such a bullshit sentence, and makes no sense. The said things may not be "themes" in your opinion, but they are certainly the setting and the backdrop of his whole shtick.
Also I don't see cinematic propaganda being a big part of this movie or the second world war.
>>
What was the point of the long flashback where the four passengers kill everyone at Minnie's? Obviously we learn about Jody and the General's complicity in the plot, but that could've been handled in a much shorter scene. it seemed to take a lot of momentum out of the story just so we could see even more people get mowed down by gunfire.

the bloodstain on the chair told us everything we needed to know about what happened before Ruth and co. showed up
>>
File: implying.jpg (31 KB, 429x358) Image search: [Google]
implying.jpg
31 KB, 429x358
>>64210200
checked
>>
>>64208370
yup to all of this
>>
>>64210243
>doesn't see cinematic propaganda being a part of this movie
>the entire conversation between churchill and fassbender about the merits and successes of propoganda in German cinema, comparing and contrasting it to contemporary films produced in allied countries

You can stop shitposting any time friend.
>>
File: !SBUD.png (35 KB, 948x528) Image search: [Google]
!SBUD.png
35 KB, 948x528
This isn't his first cuck flick

In Inglorious Basterds it literally had a white woman making out with a black man to spite nazis
>>
>>64207084
I was at home, not watching that hack's film
>>
>>64208370
>Filming a 70mm
It wasn't filmed in 70mm, it was filmed in 65mm and distributed in 70mm for screening.
>>
QT films ranked from best to worst
>pulp fiction
>jackie brown
>inglorious basterds
>reservoir dogs
>django unchained
>kill bill
>>
>>64210332
Proptip: she was supposed to be a bad actor in the circumstances of the movie.

Inglorious Basterds is critical of the jewish thirst for vengeance. Can not be more plainly stated.
>>
File: TFW-1337.png (572 KB, 499x666) Image search: [Google]
TFW-1337.png
572 KB, 499x666
>>64210357
Han solo kills bruce willis
>>
>>64210196
Of course I'm biased when it comes to my opinion of a movie.
But a movie can still be objectively bad, which you can blame the several faults of the movie on.
Having unrelatable, unlikeable characters is one such fault.
Most people would enjoy a objectively good movie, and most people would not enjoy a bad one.
Opinions are always subjective anyways, but going deeper than that would go to a philisophical level, I'm not going into that debate.
>>
>>64210325
>the entire conversation between churchill and fassbender
> the entire scene takes 10 minutes tops, plus the half ass Goebbels plot and that german sniper guy = 30mins
I would really like for you to keep your deluded ideas about this shallow piece of shit movie, so I'll just let you be.
>>
>>64210437
lol just bow out as gracefully as you can retard
>>
>>64210200
>>
>so I told Quentin to shoot a cuckold flick in 70 mm for 40 million with an interracial gay blow job scene.....and he did! What an absolute mad man
>>
Quentin focused on what he does best which is dialogue. He made a complex, character driven movie that didn't devolve into a cartoon show in the third act. This is his first honest attempt at film since Pulp Fiction.

Unfortunately, the plebs are looking for "Say what again!" one-liner bullshit they can meme on with their friends. It is the same reason /tv/ doesn't like it.
>>
>>64211585
Explain what he was doing with this movie, and why the characters motivations fell apart after the dingus scene, I honestly want somebody to do that for me instead of shitting out rankings and uno farto memes.
>>
>>64211585
The difference between this and Pulp Fiction is that Pulp Fiction worked, this didn't.
2deep4u is the worst copout.
>>
>>64207997
gtfo pulp fiction and reservoir dogs are his best originals. jackie brown is solid. the rest suck
>>
>70mmmmmmm

why?
>>
>>64212329
>why?
>black dingus.
>>
>>64207084
still better than django
>>
Which is better, feet or black dingus?
>>
>>64210191
Not that guy, but how much is it in the USA?
Saw the movie on Sunday in France. It was like 5.50 euros
>>
File: smh lmao fam.gif (2 MB, 286x210) Image search: [Google]
smh lmao fam.gif
2 MB, 286x210
>>64212545
Nah
>>
Don't understand how this is black propaganda. The black character is one of the biggest scumbags of ťhe movie.

Also ťhe movie got criticism for being racist in reviews. Qt cannot win
>>
>>64213328
Who other other than /tv/ is saying that? Because if it's just /tv/ then who gives a fuck they say that about everything.
>>
>>64207084
>Current year
>Say nigger a lot in your movie

He should have known. Even Sam Jackson can't save his ass.
>>
File: norm-macdonald.jpg (80 KB, 375x281) Image search: [Google]
norm-macdonald.jpg
80 KB, 375x281
>>64207435
Major trusted him, handed him a gun and turned his back on him several times. Considering the company they were keeping, he was about as close as the sheriff had to an ally.
>>
>>64213601
By the time it was just him damergue and the major there was no reason not to kill the major. And what was the deal with his feelings about the fake Lincoln letter? What sort of positive emotion should that elicit in him? His motivations after the intermission make no sense.
>>
>>64210390

>/pol/ propaganda shill
>couldn't pass an elementary school grammar test

Every single time.
>>
I just got back from watching it.

The whole bit about Samuel Jackson telling the General about what he did to his son with that shit-eating grin on his face
>>
>>64213651
They were about to die and he wanted something to pass the time.

At that point, there was no reason to kill him either.

Mannix was a man of honor who wasn't about to shoot an unarmed man.
>>
>>64207431
Death Proof wasnt even that bad.
I enjoyed the scene where the primary females in the first half died.
>>
>>64213850
But what was up with his appreciative tone as he read the letter? What would make him feel wistful?
>>
>>64207883
>reservoir dogs not in God tier
You're a certified retard, your opinion does not count here. Shoo shoo potato stew
>>
>>64207967
He was only responsible for the last part of the movie, so you can't use that.
>>
>>64207762
>Inglorious Basterds was good
>>
>>64207596

>disliking Jackie Brown

What's wrong with you?
>>
>>64214478
He knew it was a lie but probably wanted to see how convincing it was as with any other work of fiction.
>>
>>64214555

>Directed a segment in an ensemble film
>you can't say it counts as his!
>>
File: quentin.jpg (60 KB, 974x400) Image search: [Google]
quentin.jpg
60 KB, 974x400
>>64207084
Did I miss the butthurt? Any twitter cap?
>>
>>642151142
Listen up, faggot, if that segment was made into a short it would've gotten better reviews.

The rest of the segments in that film brought the overall film down.
>>
Narration is the laziest form of story telling. I walked when he started talking. Fuck you. Just hard cut to 4 minutes after whats-his-fucking-name starts spewing blood.
>>
>>64207084

>Certified Fresh

There is absolutely no reason why this piece of shit should get certified fresh. Reminder that the ONLY reason Hollyjew gives this shitpile of a movie a certified fresh rating is over the white man sucking a black man's cock scene. Literally
>>
>>64207084
>>
>>64207596
Jackie Brown was his best, besides maybe Reservoir Dogs.
>>
>>64215471
Jesus Christ can you at least try to form an opinion that isn't a LITERAL m3m3
Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.