[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anybody else realize that General Hux's speech was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
File: gingerhitler.png (1 MB, 1363x583) Image search: [Google]
gingerhitler.png
1 MB, 1363x583
Did anybody else realize that General Hux's speech was inspired by the speeches that Adolf Hitler, leader of the tyrannical Nazi regime, used to give?

The genius of JJ's subtlety never ceases to amaze me.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3j6xn4
>>
WOW REALLY?

NEVER WOULD'VE THOUGHT

THANKS FOR YOUR INSIGHT OP
>>
>>64200891
And they made him as white as possible to appeal to SJWs
>>
>>64200891

Which is funny, considering it came from a ginger.
>>
>>64200891
I see the German audience was especially thrilled by this and on the German reddits they're actually saying the New Order makes complete sense. They also deny all similarities with the 3rd Reich
>>
Yeah, that was lame.

There were a lot of unsubtle moments throughout the film where characters would keep reinforcing their actions with words describing what they just did, as if the audience was too dumb to gauge what happened on imagery alone. The Nazi rally was like an extension of that; like Abrams and Kasdan were afraid that, unless they made it uber-obvious that the Empire is a Nazi analogue, the viewers wouldn't get that they're evil.

One of my biggest hopes for future installments is that they tone it down a bit on the unsubtle plot beats.
>>
i dont even remember a single word he said in the speech. pretty shitty orator if you ask me.
>>
>>64200891
It's even more blatant in german
>>
>>64200891
Holy shit OP I think you're on to something. Keep unraveling the thread!!!
>>
>>64200961

The supreme leader is wise and did nothing wrong

HEIL SNEK
>>
>Hey guys, Nazis are evil!

Gee, thanks Abrams. Never could have figured that out on my own. And I'm really glad you decided to make that incredibly original sentiment and used it as the backbone for your villain organization. I mean, who's ever seen NotNazis as baddies before? Not me, that's for sure.
>>
File: 1368663424824.jpg (14 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1368663424824.jpg
14 KB, 251x242
>it's a nazis weren't bad guys thread
>>
>>64200961
>in germany it's a completely different movie about how sometimes the good guys lose but at least still live to fight another day

masterpiece
>>
File: 1347226447158.jpg (17 KB, 356x297) Image search: [Google]
1347226447158.jpg
17 KB, 356x297
>>64201137

He even rehashed that

is there one iota of creativity in this guy
>>
ITT Buttblasted ineffectual pasty circle jerking autists
>>
>>64200891
Who is Hitler and what were the Nazis?
>>
>>64201137
>Hey guys, Nazis are evil!

Arguably the lesser of two evils in Europe.
>>
Where did they get the power to fire that first shot, anyway? I thought they would need to absorb a sun.
>>
File: Killzone 3 Helghas.jpg (64 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Killzone 3 Helghas.jpg
64 KB, 1280x720
>>64200891
why is it always red flags? why cant the evil armies not have a green flag or a blue flag or maybe even a purple flag?
>>
>>64201193
Arguably not.
>>
>>64201301
why do they keep building laser weapons when they could strap a faster than light engine to an asteroid and ram a planet with it
>>
>>64201327
red has a symbolic value that a green, blue or purple flag doesn't have

It's more passionate for a symbol
>>
As exaggerated as this scene was, several of the First Order personnel visible in this scene are non-white, so there's that at least
>>
>>64200933
He's a secret sith
>>
>>64201327
I believe there's something psychological about how it increases agression, and thus passion for a cause, and possibly red symbolising the blood spilled by the martyrs for the cause.

Or maybe red-black flags increases your villain's edginess.
>>
No way dude, do you think there were other scenes or shots inspired by nazis??
>>
>>64201668

At any rate, it seems to be yet another cheap and rehashed plot point of TFA
>>
in anh the empire was just a simple dictatorship. the guys at the top might have been evil but their followers were just regular people. in tfa they all seem to be brainwashed fanatics. I think it would be more accurate to draw parallels between the old empire and nazi germany, and the new first order and radical islam. it's pretty common to depict the enemy of the day in film in abstract. the new order physically resembles nazi germany but act far more like the religious extremists in islamic state. imho.
>>
File: hux.png (543 KB, 1365x577) Image search: [Google]
hux.png
543 KB, 1365x577
I hope he doesn't get Tarkin'd.
>>
why is a 16 year old a general
>>
The thing is, Hitler made a point of noting the specific appeal of the red/white/black color arrangement in one of his writings. These sorts of displays can be taken as a homage to the Nazis or a reference to them, but Hitler only used that specific color arrangement in his propaganda because of its psychological effects. Any movement that is trying to evoke a similar feeling is going to use a similar color combination, the same way that restaurants have determined the psychological/physiological relevance of certain colors in regards to the dining experience.
>>
>>64201818
the first order ARE fanatics. They're a radical splinter group that split off from the empire
>>
>>64200891
this scene is worse than every scene from prequels
>>
>>64202007
yes, I know. I don't think you understood my point anon
>>
>>64201818

The Empire ist the German Empire and the First Order is the NSDAP including SA and SS during the Weimar Republic
>>
>>64201327
The Islamic State uses a black flag. Other Muslims, like the Saudis, use a green one.
>>
>>64202050
Well what was your point then?
>>
>>64200891
Damn OP I really never thought about it

I just looked up videos of Adolf Hitler's speeches after watching TFA for the 8th time (movie of the century btw) and yeah there is some similarities

I'm really surprised such a great director could add such a subtle and well placed reference like this in a blockbuster movie
>>
>>64201435
I don't blame you for being raised by the Jewish media, kiddo, but Hitler and Nazism killed 11 million people, Stalin and communism killed 60 million people. Around the same time in history.
>>
>>64202105

>ISIS and Saudis
>bad

Islampophobe shitlord!
>>
>>64201435
There's an argument to be made on both sides and it's not something that could ever be conclusively decided one way or the other.

The idea of the nazis being some kind of ultimate, "Special" evil that stands above the rest is absurd when there was another ruthless regime on their doorstep that was even worse in terms of sheer numerical brutality.
>>
File: 1270617300098.jpg (55 KB, 406x327) Image search: [Google]
1270617300098.jpg
55 KB, 406x327
>these upset sarcastic replies from low cinematic IQ star shitters

Oh gosh
>>
>>64200891
Why didn't JJ just go balls deep with this scene? I mean you might as well give him a Hitler stache and make the first order flag a Swastika. That way even 2 year olds could get the epic metaphor
>>
>>64201133
I can't believe they named him Snoke

Completed raped any dramatic tension when his name was mentioned
>>
>>64200996
Disney means you're going to be disappointed.
>>
>>64200891

the speech wasn't hitler

hitler was very charismatic and used a lot of gestural communication and didn't stand autistically stiff like domhall who just yelled everything

but i understand your point
>>
>>64202291
95% of all Star Wars characters have ridiculous names.

Sheev, Jabba, Leia, Padme, Jango, Dooku, etc.
>>
>>64202383
B-but Hitler was a bad guy! Muh six million Midichlorians!
>>
>>64200891
The Empire/Nazi metaphor was just as solid as the Superman/Jesus metaphor in Man of Steel

Honestly both directors are just amazing at subtly
>>
>>64202414
yeah but none of those names sound as cute as snoke
Sounds like a name for a cat
>>
>>64202125
how about you read his post you fucking asswipe. its obvious you just skimmed it and replied because you only care about your own thoughts and no one's elses. kill yourself
>>
>>64202907
lucas was good at making up names that suited the character with a few notable exceptions. disney exec board not so much
>>
At this part, I yelled out Hail Zeon, because I think this trope is still getting used today. Gihren in Mobile Suit Gundam did it almost exactly the same, but that at least had the added bit of being in the same timeline as Hitler, appearantly.
>>
>>64202132
To be fair, Stalin's kill count is difficult to calculate and not agreed upon.
Either way, Hitler didn't even manage to beat Genghis Khan's high score
>>
>>64202213
fuck off motoko
>>
>>64200891

ACTIVATE THE WEAPON!
>>
File: 1451080282806.jpg (34 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1451080282806.jpg
34 KB, 640x480
Churchill and Stalin were equally as bad as Hitler

USA was the only objectively good guy in WW2
>>
>>64201934
Yeah but that's because the red/white/black is from imperial germany

some guys in space a long time ago and far far away would have no such relation to it

of course the real people viewing the flags are us, the viewers, who have the context of imperial/nazi germany, but then that just goes back to being clumsy and blatant
>>
>the force that uses "storm troopers" resembling the Nazis

Gee, if only there were six other movies where such comparisons were made...
>>
File: hi.jpg (17 KB, 316x239) Image search: [Google]
hi.jpg
17 KB, 316x239
>>64203059
Yeah, like Darth Icky

Fuck off, Lucas shill
>>
>>64203738
Lucas's bad guys weren't pure Nazis

The empire had heaps of Nip influence and the CIS were literally chinamen mass producing shit quality products
>>
>>64201636
red stands out more than any other color there is nothing weird about it.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.