[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 10
File: War_worlds_spielberg_43_x.jpg (51 KB, 400x306) Image search: [Google]
War_worlds_spielberg_43_x.jpg
51 KB, 400x306
What went wrong?
>>
>>64198000

Kids were added to the story
>>
They all survive at the end. Other than that, it was good.
>>
your mum t b h family

hahahahaha
>>
As with every Spielberg joint, a weak third act.
>>
Instead of being set in Victorian England (which would have been a pretty unique movie) it was set in modern day NE USA just like every other alien invasion movie ever.
>>
It didn't use the music from the album.
>>
>>64198120

Would the mass market accept an alien invasion movie set in Victorian England though? Look how floptastic John Carter was
>>
>>64198000

Bacteria
>>
>That tripod foghorn
>The walking sounds
>Bodies floating down the river
>Raining clothes
>Close-up shot of woman getting disintegrated

This movie was fucking terrifying.
>>
I don't remember anything about this movie except the fight over the van (best scene, probably only good scene) and how the son was magically not dead at the end.

Such a waste of good material.
>>
>>64198283

Considering how utterly generic the final film was, I imagine more people might have at least paid attention to it.
>>
>>64198283
John Carpenter was a shitty action movie. WotW would've worked.
>>
>There will never be a feature film based on Jeff Wayne's WotW
>>
Not much, it's a great movie. The pacing's a bit wacky but that's mainly because there are a lot of really good set pieces, so I can forgive it.
>>
Pretty much all of HG Wells' works would make excellent movies if made word for word, scene by scene identical to the books. They're all pretty short and would fit comfortably into a 2hr movie

War of the Worlds, The Time Machine and The Island of Dr.Moreau especially.
>>
>>64199044
Yet all of those have movies and the best of them strive to be mediocre.
>>
The aliens failed to account for the health effects of our planet's micro-organisms on themselves. The movie spells this fact out in narration, you troglodyte.
>>
I would have loved a film that took place during the 1938 broadcast. Like an actual invasion takes place during the radio play.
>>
The green day boy. Movie got goat when it was just Tom and his cunny gf
>>
>>64198120
>modern day NE USA just like every other alien invasion movie ever.
Name some

Independence day was worldwide, so don't count that.

I'll give you Dreamcatcher, what else is there?
>>
perfect film, it's on cahiers du cinema's top 10 list for the 2000s
>>
There were some scenes in this movie that were fucking horrifying. The initial invasion scene, the scene in the water, and that scene on the hill outside of Dakota Fanning's performance, were all terrifying. It was everything in between that brought it down.
>>
>>64199237
The scene where he kills the other guy is goat
>>
File: 1412639211273.png (386 KB, 1151x1128) Image search: [Google]
1412639211273.png
386 KB, 1151x1128
Doesn't have shit on the book.
>>
>>64199113
Those movies are all adapted to the point they lose their identity - apart from the Time Machine and its remake, none of them are even set in the correct time period, and they're all incredibly illoyal to the books. Read them and you'll agree they'd make amazing movies if done faithfully
>>
>>64198000
Nothing really, it's one of the best blockbuster movies of the 21st century.
>>
>>64199309
Back to reddit
>>
>>64199212
Battle LA

WotW was also worldwide btw
>>
File: 1451220712887[1].webm (1 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1451220712887[1].webm
1 MB, 720x480
>>64198120
But there has been a version set in Victorian England
>>
>>64198029
this /thread
>>
>>64199408
>1451220712887[1].webm
what a shame it looks awful.
>>
Instead of shooting the Tripods down in cylinders they just went "THEY'VE ALWAYS BEEN HERE LOL"
>>
>>64198283
the problem with john carter was the name. they should have named it something actiony instead of john carter.
>>
they fucked it the wqay Hollywood fucks everything
They made it all about a generic disfunctional family and not an alien invasion
>>
>>64199120
You would think an alien race capable of creating these machines would have been able to anticipate this.
>>
>>64199480
It's probably one of the worst movies ever made and it's 3 hours to boot
>>
>>64198029
>>64199412
>>64199557
fucking retards
>>
>>64199535
John Carter of Mars was the original title I think before they decided to change it.
>>
>>64198000
Liked it desu, third act was rushed but that was it.
>>
>>64199130
ooh that would be very interesting indeed

hmmm yes i will get on that i think
>>
Remember that time an airplane crashed outside their house and their car was fine?
>>
Honestly I think this is a pretty great movie. Certainly better than Van Hesling and I, Robot and other action films from the day (I do like I, Robot though).

Based Cruiser makes it great as always, the special effects are cool and for the most part the set pieces are amazing and sometimes absolutely terrifying. Unfortunately the story kind of falls apart at points, but that's not too big a deal considering I think this film is more about spectacle anyway.
>>
>>64199404
>LA
>North East

huh

Also, WotW was worldwide, but there were no scenes like ID4.
>>
Dakota Fanning. Her fucking screaming was obnoxious.
>>
>>64198343
This, as a fan of the other versions I thought this was a pretty solid adaptation desu and conveyed the sense of horror better than anything other than perhaps the original book.
>>
>>64199482
that's the whole point moron, that the aliens were so advanced before humans were even walking our earth they were here, getting ready for the attack.
>>
>>64199867
I've got to say, I was really surprised watching it the other day by how well the CGI has held up compared to other movies from the same time, e.g. I, Robot and the Matrix sequels.
>>
>>64199934
yup. I'd have knocked her out. Escaping from aliens is bad enough without this little retard and her safe space.
>>
>>64200069
That allows the bacteria ending to make sense too.
>>
>>64200106
>safe space
Mind blown
>>
File: War_of_the_Worlds_Tripod.jpg (15 KB, 640x344) Image search: [Google]
War_of_the_Worlds_Tripod.jpg
15 KB, 640x344
Anyone who says they didn't shit themselves every time a tripod was on screen is lying
>>
>>64200138
Yup, because when they came millions of years prior bacteria was not evolved yet, when they were gone it evolved because humans evolved and the aliens couldn't deal with it.

the only gripe I have with this movie is a point that Ebert brought up in his review: Why tripods? Physically speaking, 3 legs is the most un-stable number of supporters a body could have. You can stand on 2, so the extra leg is not needed. For extra stability, you go with 4.

If you have 3 legs, knocking out 1 still knocks you down, you'd think the aliens would be smarter than this.
>>
>>64200233
Seriously, like regardless if you like the movie or not, you have to admit it has damn impressive effects and intimidating, scary scenes
>>
>>64200246
The same can be said about us, depending on the walking pattern a tripod could always have 2 legs on the ground.
>>
>>64200246

He's got a point but I think two legs would have been a mistake, its a little too humanoid.
>>
honestly think War of the world is one of the most underrated movies of its decade
>>
>>64200352
but it would still fall because of it's design, the 2 legs are at an angle like a triangle, so knocking out 1 still causes them to fall. So you would think, why invest in a 3rd leg? Either go 2 legs or go 4. 2 is less expensive than 3, same stability. 4 is more expensive but more stability. 3 is the worst.
>>
>>64200246
>>64200352
>>64200416
Aren't their cameras n shit in the legs? A spare leg is pretty useful like in that basement scene
>>
>>64200439
I honestly think that if they had the technology to do interstellar space travel millions of years ago, before we were even here, they could have designed ships that hover instead of having gravity effect them by using legs.
>>
>>64200467
I think those tentacles come out of the body like the ones that grab the girl and tom cruise before they get taken by the thing into it's holding cell.
>>
>>64200455
Using 2 legs you can still shift your center of gravity to stay in balance if shit goes wrong. Also its probably done because more alien.
>>
>>64200561
we're talking about a machine here though, not a human. I guess in theory it's possible but mechanically 3 legs is the worst decision.

It's still a great movie, I don't understand why you are trying to defend the decision. It doesn't take any from anything, you can make up whatever reason you want because it's a movie.

I just go with the fact that the aliens didn't think it though, they're so advanced they probably assumed they'd wipe us out in days.
>>
>>64198000
Screaming kid.

>>64199408
At least it wasn't this.
>>
>tfw there will never be a proper WOTW film set in Victorian England because burgerclaps need american centric movies with negroes as main characters
>>
>>64198000
People complain about Dakota Fanning, but that dumbass son was the one that got on my nerves.
Its pace feels weird at times, but other than that I like it. There were some truly horrifying scenes, plus it was the first movie to catch on to the "Morgan Freeman narrator" meme.
Also, I like to chuckle at some of the clearly post-9/11 elements at times.
>>
>>64198343
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qJQlfMMNmw

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-uu?
>>
>>64199561
In the book they were pressured into going to Earth because Mars was cooling to the point of becoming uninhabitable, or something like that. They weren't from Mars in the movie and never went into their motivation but I assume it's something similar.
>>
>>64200785
I agree, I liked Fanning as well. She brought feelsy elements to it, at least. The son was a fucking asshole kike, I wish he would have died
>>
I was 12 when this was playing and it didn't really leave a great impression I must say. Now that you're talking about it, I remember that basement scene and the brother running to the army and shit, but I don't even know what you are referring to when you're talking about the fight on the bus or the guy that Tom Cruise killed.

All I remember is that disgusting human fiber or whatever it was left sticking around on the landscapes and the retarded ending with the aliens dying because of bacteria.

I'll rewatch it now, why not, but as a young impressionable child this didn't stick out in my memory despite being made up pretty "epically".
>>
>>64198000
>VRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
>>
>>64200673
>"a machine"
>hyper advanced alien technology

That shit could be more complex than our bodies. It's alien tech, applying our logic to it is retarded.
>>
>>64200868
That he survived this giant explosion thing makes no sense. And it ruined part of the feels that he survived
>>
>>64200834
In the comic League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vol 2 the tripod aliens are not from Mars originally, but did the same thing to it they try on Earth. John Carter is there fighting them but they make it to Earth before he can stop them. I think that would be interesting as a film on its own (proper adaptation of League, hell maybe even TV show given recent trends though I hate capeshit) but just the idea of a parasitic race hopping from planet to planet should have been more explored in WotW
>>
>Martians invade Britain because the British Empire is the strongest power on earth in 1898
>British-centric story
>No Americans at all included in the story.

Gee I wonder why Hollywood has never made a faithful adaptation.
>>
>>64200901
the ending was the same as the book, it's one of the most famous meditations on the hubris of man in the history of literature
>>
>>64200455
>2 is same stability as 3

>having 3 legs and losing one makes you fall down
>>
To all you fags argueing about the tripod legs you have to understand that they were mechs, machines created to mirror the aliens physiology, a design chosen for its familiarity to them
>>
>>64198070
This, and the kids.
>>
>>64200901
The red vines were an attempt at terraforming so they could live there, a new "red planet"
>>
>>64201271
Go watch Transformers you down syndrome
>>
>>64200918
well you can make up whichever excuse you want, 3 legs is a dumb decision, it's not stable at all. They are never being shown as anything more than machines with shields. At the end they take one down. The cost of creating something that auto-corrects its posture when a leg is taken out would far outweigh the cost of another leg. Or hell, just start out with 2.
>>
>>64200069
Why didn't they just take Earth billions of years ago then?
>>
>>64201173
Yes having 3 legs is the same stability as two, meaning both 3 and 2 legged machines have no room for error, taking 1 leg out means they will fall.

Is it that hard to comprehend? Both 3 and 2 legged is fine, they both stand up. But both 3 and 2 legged machines need only 1 leg to be missing to fall down. So having 3 gives you no advantages to having 2.
>>
>>64198000
Movie starts great, first 25% of the movie is glorious... then it gets a bit worse... and worse... and worse... finally it becomes comically pathetic.

Like most Spielberg movies in fact. Talk about an overrated director...
>>
>>64201338
>Stupid H.G. Wells. My Star Trek fanfiction is much more scientifically accurate
Jesus Christ reddit, nobody cares.
>>
>>64201393
They needed the human population to get big enough that they could harvest lots of us for the red shit they were spraying everywhere
>>
>>64201393
Have no answer for that, perhaps they were waiting to get more technology on their end to allow better harvesting of our planet, perhaps they wanted us to advance our technology so they could harvest it.
>>
Blood-eating aliens invaders killed by too much cholesterol in human blood. It's simply a comedy idea.
>>
>>64201425
do you read what you post?

>le reddit buzzword
>>
>>64198000
Just the ending. Everything else is top tier Spielberg honestly. Very beautiful movie
>>
>yfw there's a sequel
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-08-21-21h12m12s938.jpg (230 KB, 1280x694) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-08-21-21h12m12s938.jpg
230 KB, 1280x694
It was rushed because Spielberg and Cruise wanted to make another movie together and they had very little time to work on the story. It's pretty much a first draft, which are always mediocre.
>>
honestly i could handle the kids, the real problem for me was when it got mired in that basement for fucking ever and then tom cruise went full superhero and ruined the whole normal deadbeat dad trying to survive thing
>>
>>64201583
But that's the sequel to the Asylum cash-in. I still think it's funny how there were 3 War of the Worlds movies all in one month.
>>
>>64201592
I think they fucked up by revealing the actual aliens. once they came into the basement hopping around and knocking things over, they became more silly than threatening

plus I thought the aliens in the book were horrifying octopus creatures, not things that looked indentical to the tripods they controlled
>>
>>64201592
He didn't really go full superhero, he always had a soft spot for his daughter, the entire movie. It's not like he didn't give a fuck than suddenly had a realization.

The end he just ran out and went up in the machine with her, he didn't exactly save her, he got lucky with that army dude and the grenade.
>>
>>64201143
But they're aliens, not man.
(Not a native speaker what does meditation mean in this context?)
>>
>>64201691
I agree. I think the effects for the aliens were nice, but the aliens themselves did not fit the film. They should have been scary, or better yet stayed in the tripods. The 50s WotW does the basement scene pretty well iirc
>>
>>64198000
Tom Cruise and his kids. It should've been like the book, not the time period but the characters as they were just in modern times.

Also the whole thing with the ships already being there was fucking stupid.
>>
>>64198000
the train scene was too dark
>>
File: captain america.jpg (57 KB, 317x311) Image search: [Google]
captain america.jpg
57 KB, 317x311
>>64199993
quints off by one
>>
>>64201737
It's a statement about technology in general. We might assume we're on top and taking out an enemy way beneath us, but little things can fuck us. If you don't think it's a meaningful point even today, look at the middle east. even though we have drones and shit, they still manage to fuck us every now and then
>>
>>64198319
the only correct answer
>>
File: tripods.jpg (489 KB, 736x1159) Image search: [Google]
tripods.jpg
489 KB, 736x1159
>you will never see another adaptation of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
>>
>>64198319
>>64201889
I hope you die
>>
>>64198000
when they planted advanced mechs 10 feet underground, waited a million years to activate them so they could fight evolved monkeys, the monkeys never discovered those advanced mechs even though they dug holes everywhere, aliens also never discovered microbes
>>
>>64201895
fammmm
>>64200951

That would be some good shit.
I don't really like the stuff after Vol. 2 honestly though. The big brother, james bond shit was nice but everything else was too weird for my taste
>>
File: 1448313782581.jpg (11 KB, 236x200) Image search: [Google]
1448313782581.jpg
11 KB, 236x200
>>64201928
what would be the cause
>>
>>64198000
ROOOOOOOBBIEEEE ROOOOOBBBIEEE ROOOOOOOOBBIE
>>
>>64202137
aids
>>
>>64201895
>those lats
mirin that cobra aesthetic
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.