[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Star Wars Disappointment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
Okay, so I've always been generally familiar with the Star Wars series. I've seen Phantom Menace a bunch since I had the VHS, and I saw the theatrical release of episodes II and III. Because all I've heard of recently is the new addition, I took it upon myself to actually watch the original trilogy 3 days ago, and oh my god, I was almost ashamed I hadn't seen them before. They were AWESOME. Even though I've come across enough parodies and trivia to know most of what happens, i was able to shut it all off and become completely submerged in the films. The first duel between Vader and Luke actually was a good enough performance to bring me to tears (not necessarily sadness) during the "Obi Wan never told you the truth about your father" confrontation. I specifically keep thinking that people in 1977 must have been freaking out with how great the picture was visually, the concept and the story telling that helped successfully bring it all together. in short, being freshly exposed to the original trilogy, I can honestly say that it may be one of my top favorite movies series now, i haven't been able to get it out of my head since.

That all being said, on the subject of the new movie, Episode VII: The Force Awakens, I don't know what to say except that I'm fuckin' shocked.

>>continued
>>
Disney, who the hell do you think we are? How could you buy out the Star Wars franchise for such a large sum of money and then shit out this new addition to Star Wars that just ends up being another average Hollywood movie? Where do you get off having the nerve to follow up one of the greatest movie trilogies with this pile of shit? The beginning seemed just like anoy other opening you'd experience today, and it was so-so. of course they had to work in the oh-so-clever quirkiness/smartassishness that seems to be on the checklist of any adventure/superhero/sci-fi/fantasy movie that cones out now. I expected it to pick up, but it never really did evolve into anything amazing. Honestly, the only thing that made it seem like Star Wars was when something came on that had been referenced or shown in the past films.

I know Disney isn't necessarily held to the highest of standards today, but when you go out of your way to buy the Star Wars name for 4Bilion or 6 Billion, however much it was, at least make the effort!

If you're reading this and are still thinking of going to see it, please take my advice and wait a couple of months to buy it or pirate it off the internet, save your money for something else.
>>
>>64175350
Is this a good movie to watch with my Husband's Daughter?
>>
Episode VII is better than Episode IV in nearly every conceivable way. Read the Guardian review for the new film.
>>
>>64175387
Or you could just use your own opinion
>>
>>64175387

first third of 7 is better. last 2/3 of 4 blows 7 out of the water
>>
>>64175387
I don't think so, although I will say that A New Hope might have been my least favorite of the three, but I can't tell if it was Mark Hamill's acting or Luke's character, the bratiness and emotional jumping from being sad to completely okay. I think just because it was a new kind of movie and the first of the whole line of films. BUT, definitely was better than this new movie.
>>
I'm a bit more disappointed with the fanservice to the """"fans"""" who obsess over the OT. These are all the similar elements I noticed, some more obvious than others.

>stormtroopers, star destroyers, tie fighters, X wings, bigger death star
>cantina scene
>orange yoda
>chewie growling at a droid and scaring it off
>trash compactor
>mentor whose prime was in a previous trilogy gets killed in enemy battlestation
>desert planet
>hiding under the floor in the millennium falcon
>masked villain
>rushed planning to engage the enemy battlestation
>bounty hunter(s) after Han immediately after he meets the main characters
>>
>>64175350
>prequel fag thinks his opinion matters about anything

Toppest of keks
>>
>>64175385

Not sure what you mean. is this an issue of age or gender? I saw families and couples and grandparents in there watching and they seemed to enjoy themselves, but as a Star Wars fan that cares about great storytelling and character portrayal, you may be let down, though this is all just my opinion.
>>
>>64175577
dont forget the droid that holds valuable information to a main character's whereabouts
>>
>>64175655

Then what's the point of any opinion? I guess for mine to be valid I need to be a world leader or something?

My only issue is I basically took in 4 chronological movies all at once, and the 4th was bad in comparison to the ones it followed up.

>4chan nerd strikes back in very 4chan manner
>>
>>64175577

That stuff didn't even really bother me. I mean, I expected it, and I think you'd have to be pretty thick not to expect anything from past movies to blatantly pop up.

You know right now i can see all these dads driving their daughters home going "Remember when *scene from movie* ? That's because they did it in *past movie* "
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.