[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>By now, more or less everyone has acknowledged that Star
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 13
File: sw.png (831 KB, 839x603) Image search: [Google]
sw.png
831 KB, 839x603
>By now, more or less everyone has acknowledged that Star Wars: The Force Awakens closely echoes A New Hope — so closely, in fact, that "echoes" does not quite do it justice. It lifts most of its major plot points from A New Hope (and a few from that film's two sequels), sprinkling in some new characters.
>Some reviewers have dismissed this lightly; others have dwelled on it a bit, but ultimately forgiven it. Vox's own Ezra Klein has argued that it is a feature, not a bug, a way of bringing comic-book sensibilities to the Star Wars franchise.
>I find it a little weird that this doesn't bother critics more. I'm with Brian Merchant: the movie's "predictable, nostalgia-reliant, repackaged thrills" are "a defeat for what made the trilogy extraordinary in the first place—its madcap sci-fi originality and genre-bending experimentation."

Why are critics giving TFA a pass?
>>
ANH was dogshit though.
>>
File: money-07[1].jpg (1 MB, 1864x1680) Image search: [Google]
money-07[1].jpg
1 MB, 1864x1680
>>64170167
>>
>>64170167

>be critical of TFA
>literally get death threats from angry nerds

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/25/entertainment/fox-news-star-wars-death-threats-feat/
>>
>>64170167

For the same reason it gave "Into Darkness" a pass. Also, much like "Into Darkness", the rip off is on the most superficial level, with nothing underneath to fill it.
>>
File: rarepepecomp2.jpg (45 KB, 483x504) Image search: [Google]
rarepepecomp2.jpg
45 KB, 483x504
>a way of bringing comic-book sensibilities to the Star Wars franchise
>>
>>64170167
>>Brian Merchant

His piece on this movie is the best I've read so far. Couldn't agree with it more.
>>
>>64170304

I think TFA is better than ST:ID. Into Darkness did rip of Khan and a few scenes but it was sufficiently different IMO. TFA was way too much of a rip off of Episode 4.
>>
>>64170167
From the jump Disney said they were giving fans what they wanted, and the box office results show this is exactly what people were craving from Star Wars.

They threw out George's experimental shit ideas for a reason. It's too polarizing. People want comfort. Familiarity. There's nothing wrong with this considering flicks are essentially a form of escapism.
>>
>>64170167
It's not just a wild guess to assume that if Disney bought LArts for 4 billions they could spare couple hundreds Mills on "review adjustments"

The rest come naturally from manchildren blinded by their own franchise

And NEVER forget the impact of the prequels. There are tons of people giving TFA a good review just because it's not the prequels.
>>
>Disney has finally stopped paying off the critics and lifted off the embargo
>people can now freely talk shit about it

it was fun /tv/, see you again next year
>>
I like how the criticism of the movie boils down to criticizing the backgrounds.
>It has a desert!
>It has snow!
>It has a forest!
Where should it be? Underwater? No, they've done that. A volcano planet? No, done that too. Such shallow criticism doesn't stand up in the face of intelligence.
>>
>>64170521
You mean next month? Isn't the new tv series coming out in Jan 2016?

Ah, also remember to buy toys on your way out. Have fun!
>>
>>64170558
what about the 3rd fucking death star?
>>
>>64170167
>Why are critics giving TFA a pass?
Because it's competent enough and didn't do what everyone hated about the prequels.
>>
>>64170466
>the box office results show this is exactly what people were craving from Star Wars.

your overestimating the degree to which quality makes a difference in the first couple of weeks for a film like this.

Phantom Menace made like $2 billion in today's money.
>>
File: traitoractivated.gif (958 KB, 429x476) Image search: [Google]
traitoractivated.gif
958 KB, 429x476
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little TRAITOR? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the First Order and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on the New Republic, and I have over 300 confirmed kills.

I am trained in baton warfare and I’m the top trooper in of Captain Phasma’s armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another traitor. I will wipe you the fuck out with spins the likes of which have never been seen before in this galaxy, mark my fucking words.
You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Comms? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of Sith across space and your BB-8 unit is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, TRAITOR. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred spins, and that’s just with my baton.

Not only am I extensively trained in baton combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the First Order Strormtrooper Battalion and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of Jakku, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” betrayal was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking blaster.

But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn TRAITOR. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it.

You’re fucking dead, TRAITOR.
>>
>>64170594
What about new TIE fighter? New star destroyers? New XWings? That's the technology of that universe. They're going to keep the basic design and upgrade them like they've always done.
>>
The thing is, that it's just alright.

Decent, but not excellent. OK.

Better than mediocre, but not great.

Like A New Hope with some differences, so I got just what I want it.

I'm pretty happy. Can't wait for a new Star Wars film every year.

It's Ok.

Just the right amount of entertainment. We should all be happy, right?

We should be content consumers.

J.J. Abrams is a competent director. Not that great, but he gets the job done.

It's alright. All of us, should embrace the spectacle.

With a bucket of popcorn with extra butter and a Cherry Icee, I sat down in a seat in the AMC theater and enjoyed a decent two hours of life watching a cool, but not great, piece of film.

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens.

It's alright.
>>
>>64170558
Did you actually read the article?
>>
>>64170608
>Phantom Menace made like $2 billion in today's money.

I highly doubt that
>>
>>64170594
That was stupid and there's no real argument, at best it was laziness, at worst an attempt to play it safe to guarantee profits.

I mean overall I liked The Force Awakens, but the death star was too much, the second fucking death star was already too much both, even from an in-universe perspective, if a plan that costly fails that hard, why would you do it two more times? And it's simply not interesting, out of seven movies, three have been death star movies it's kind of boring.
>>
>>64170690
north of $1 billion in 1999. it made at least Jurassic World money.
>>
File: latest[9].jpg (149 KB, 1020x735) Image search: [Google]
latest[9].jpg
149 KB, 1020x735
>>64170637
the OT upgraded things more than this movie did.
>>
>>64170600
Also the SJW factor of people being threatened with ruin and blacklisting and pariahdom if they ever speak ill of the film's questionable casting choices.
>>
Where do they go from here in terms of villains and big bad bases? They blew up THREE Death Stars in the series. And this one was literally a planet.

From a strictly in-universe point of view, how the fuck are they going to rationalize anything that the First Order does after that? Are they going to try to rebuilt it AGAIN?
>>
>>64170203
Here's your (You)
>>
>>64170637
Those work. Death Stars seem to have a knack for blowing up too easily.
>>
File: swarm.png (217 KB, 668x583) Image search: [Google]
swarm.png
217 KB, 668x583
>>64170794

I don't understand why they don't use drones or just spam missiles.

I mean, fuck, we fucking have swarm drones RIGHT FUCKING NOW
>>
>>64170794
That's not an upgrade. It's a different model. Like the bombers.
>>64170878
So far death stars have destroyed 6-7 planets. That's 2 planets per death star on average. None of the other weapons have been as effective.
>>
>>64170304
Its funny you mention Into Darkness, it had the exact same flaws as Force Awakens.
>>
>>64170252
like that shit matters? when has anyone followed through with a death threat about something so inconsequential besides muslims?
>>
>more or less everyone has acknowledged

What a stupid way to open an article. "Everyone already agrees with me"? Then what's the fucking point of writing it?
>>
File: _20151228_010834.jpg (44 KB, 720x449) Image search: [Google]
_20151228_010834.jpg
44 KB, 720x449
>>64170748
>Jurassic World money
>1.669 billion

Off by a little matey
>>
File: image.jpg (241 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
241 KB, 1536x2048
>>64170632
Lel
>>
>>64170909
because that's pretty damn boring on screen? fighter pilots doing their thing are far more interesting than watching some schmuck in a trailer pilot a UAV or, as with episode 1, watching droid fighters getting blasted. also doesn't matter that we have that technology now, because this was a long time ago in a galaxy far away.
>>
>>64170987
Because if he pretends everyone already agrees then he doesn't have to back up his retarded opinions. He can just presume we think he's right.
>>
>>64170167
>people are starting to 'notice'
if it wasn't apparent when you were watching the film you need to get your brain checked for damage. It's fucking star wars, the films have always been self referential.
>>
File: TIE_Advanced_x1_starfighter_2.png (3 MB, 2376x1735) Image search: [Google]
TIE_Advanced_x1_starfighter_2.png
3 MB, 2376x1735
>>64170926
TIE advanced would be a straight upgrade to the standard TIEs. always thought it looked cool.
>>
>>64170987
He says that in reference to "closely echoing" Ep 4. If that's generally true/common knowledge, then you don't need to argue the point.

It'd be like arguing whether Star Wars fans are brainless neckbeards--everyone already knows it's true.
>>
>>64171252
> the films have always been self referential.
Exactly, it makes me wonder if people were making the same comments when the PT came out. TPM, AOTC, and ROTS all have similar conflicts and events to ANH, ESB, and ROTJ, respectively.
>>
>>64171385

They might've taken the hyperdrive out ofnthe Advanced and pit it in the new Spec Ops TIEs
>>
>>64170167

Because all the Star Wars fanboys want everything to be the same as it was, and that's what they got. They'll bitch at anyone who criticizes Star Wars no matter how good it is.

They even defended TPM right after it came out and it sucked.

If they so fervently defended a bad movie, they'll fervently defend an okay one.

That's why TFA will have like a 90 on RT.
>>
it's almost like disney are trying to pretend it isn't a remake. why won't they acknowledge that it's a remake?
>>
>>64170167
Politics. It stars a strunk women who needs no man to hold her hand and a black guy. In these "progressive times," you can just cater to them.

Oh, yeah, and don't forget to mention the current year.
>>
File: 520e68ab991a1.jpg (219 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
520e68ab991a1.jpg
219 KB, 2048x1536
>>64172137
>Oh, yeah, and don't forget to mention the current year.
Not for long, a new progressiver age is upon us.
>>
>>64171836
because the original trilogy still canonically exist and are important to the plot? what an asinine thing to say.
>>
>>64170167
$$$$$$$$
>>
>>64171836
Disney executives, or executives in general for that matter, don't give a shit about story and character, anon. You should realize that they only care about making money and that's it.
>>
>>64170926
>That's not an upgrade. It's a different model. Like the bombers.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. The TIE Interceptors were upgrades. They were an improved TIE design, they were meant to take over for the old fighters.
>>
>movie has been out for two weeks
>haters still can't come up with one good argument against it
We did it! Movie passed the test. Let's see if the haters can invent fake reasons to hate the next one.
>>
>>64172192
but why would they do a remake and then insert returning characters into it? it makes no sense.
>>
>>64172400
Because its not a remake.
>>
File: 1412487063940.jpg (55 KB, 508x449) Image search: [Google]
1412487063940.jpg
55 KB, 508x449
>>64172430
>>
>>64172430
But it had a desert planet. It's a remake. Who cares if all the plot and characters do different things?
>>
>>64170252

>"I wasn't familiar with Star Wars because I've been too busy liking cool things and being attractive."

Fucking based, 10/10, would step father her mixed race children
>>
>>64172297
People enjoy it, so /tv/ must naturally hate it.
Also it has flaws, several in fact. Any movie with flaws must automatically be garbage and the Star Wars franchise is irredeemably RUINED FOREVER.
>>
>>64170167
>a way of bringing comic-book sensibilities to the Star Wars franchise

fucking shoot me.
>>
>>64172191
Memes aside, how many times has he said "it's 2015" or something similar on his show?
>>
File: glib facsimile.jpg (301 KB, 699x1211) Image search: [Google]
glib facsimile.jpg
301 KB, 699x1211
>>64172430
>>64172590
Are you guys for real? The filename is a meme but the pic isn't.
>>
>>64172686
Fuck knows, ive even seen him say it on other shows apart from his.
>>
>>64172686
I think like twice, the joke is referring more to liberals in general using this phrase 'I mean it's 2015, I can't believe we are still doing this' I've seen/heard this a lot He's just the posterboy.
>>
>>64172704
>someone actually missed the point this bad and wasted their time writing all of this
wow. What I'm saying is that the parallels were obviously intentional and while the plot points may parallel A New Hope (obvious to anyone with two braincells to run together) The actual character development and scenarios are unique.
>>
>>64170663
These rational thoughts do not belong on 4chan. Only shitposts are allowed here.
>>
>>64172704
>Rey comes across Lars San Tekka
Literally never happened.
>Order burns Rey's home town
Never happens. She doesn't even live in that town.
>Rey escapes Jakku with Han and Chewie
Never happened. Han and Chewie were never even on Jakku
>Empire shoots at the Falcon
Never happened in the movie.
>Han is Rey's mentor.
Never happened.
>Ren is Rey's cousin
u wot m8?
>secretly a sith lord
Wasn't even a secret.

Who wrote this? Absolutely awful comparison. Completely defeats their own argument.
>>
>>64172922
If I express reasonable opinions through memes, can I stay?
Also I enjoyed the film, Finn spilling his spaghetti all over Rey was hilarious.
>>
>>64172919
yeah in a new hope luke learned important lessons that would help develop his skills in movies to come

in the force awakens rey already has the skills she needs
>>
>>64172963
Dunno about the rest but the Ren is Rey's cousin thing is fanon. I hope they don't go that way though, even making her related to Obi wan would be less obvious.
>>
File: TimEric7.jpg (38 KB, 425x283) Image search: [Google]
TimEric7.jpg
38 KB, 425x283
>>64170203
Great job that means TFA is worse than dog shit. no point in arguing this.
>>
>>64172704
But that's wrong
>>
>>64171020
Bare in mind that cinema tickets were cheaper back then too.
>>
>>64170663
So its diablo 3?
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.