[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Miyazaki movies really that good? Where do they stand in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 16
File: Miyazaki.jpg (54 KB, 450x635) Image search: [Google]
Miyazaki.jpg
54 KB, 450x635
Are Miyazaki movies really that good? Where do they stand in comparison to the Pixar classics?
>>
>>64168368
This movie was a bunch of random mishmash shit thrown on the screen with no rhyme or reason.

People liked this movie because they think it makes them look smart or something
>>
>>64168497
baka gaijin detection
>>
They are shit. People like them because they lack imagination. The pacing is always off and the artistry underwhelming. Character development is nonexistent. There are no real life parables outside of tragedy. They hold no purpose besides escapism, and for that reason the sense of escapism is dampened.
>>
File: 1443030354606.jpg (95 KB, 512x291) Image search: [Google]
1443030354606.jpg
95 KB, 512x291
>>64168368
Typical Disney child's animated film < typical Ghibli film < typical Pixar film imo

However, Mononoke and Nausicaa > any pixar/disney film imo. Spirited Away would be up there too if it wasn't for the shit ending.

If you're trying to get into anime, don't go with children's movies. Try Dead Leaves, Paprika, Jin Roh, Cat Soup, Akira, Tenshi no Tamago, Neo Tokyo, Memories, idk like GitS Patlabor what fucking ever but expect kids movies when watching japanese kids movies which is what Ghibli makes.
>>
>>64168497
T-this is bait, right?
>>
>>64168551
>pacing
Is there are more meaningless buzzword being tossed around these days?
>>
I loved Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbor Totoro, but I didn't think much of Spirited Away. Honestly, the whole thing seemed like a bunch of nonsense from an adult perspective
>>
>>64168368
Literally the Disney of the east. People only say they like them for artsy hipster cred for liking something foreign.
>>
>>64168562

Atleast ghibli films have some style on average unlike disney.
>>
>>64168566
no
>>
>>64168368
With Ghibli movies I can sit down can sit down with other cinephiles and discuss it like a proper film its flaws and what it succeeded in.
With most other animated movies Pixar included its just "Yeah it was fun. Pretty great for kids."
>>
Miyazaki movies are way better than Pixar. Spirited Away, Totoro, Mononoke, Kiki, Laputa, Lupin and Porco Rosso are all good. Only decent Pixar movies are Ratatouille and the first 1/3 of Wall-e.
>>
mononoke was a 10/10
>>
File: PorcoRosso.jpg (403 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
PorcoRosso.jpg
403 KB, 1000x1500
BEST MIYAZAKI FILM COMING THROUGH.

ALL OTHER ANSWERS ARE PLEB TIER.
>>
>>64168562
Akira is only important for the animation, don't suggest it as some kind of mature movie.

The manga is better suited for that.
>>
File: Catbus.jpg (56 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
Catbus.jpg
56 KB, 636x358
>>64168660
Yeah, this is why I prefer them to Disney films, but they lack a lot of the raw creativity and variety of a lot of Pixar stuff. Most Ghibli films have the same story arc, sort of like Disney films, but at least with Ghibli you get some good wild cards and interesting bullshit.

Things like Totoro, a slice of life children's film. That's really comfy, and you would never see slice of life in western children's animated film as far as I'm aware of.

>>64168608
It isn't meaningless, but it's a good example of something people who want all films to generally follow the same exact formula that is closest to what they are used to enjoying complain about. People who don't like it when things are different I guess.
>>
File: Geinoh.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Geinoh.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>>64168848
Manga is irrelevant to a film discussion, of course if you enjoy reading comics you will most of the time find something like Berserk more enjoyable as a manga than as a series. If you don't enjoy reading comics, as I do not, I don't see any reason to even consider that as a point, it's simply irrelevant to the film as it stands. It's a good film, you have to separate the manga from your interpretation of it, it isn't relevant. It's the same story in a different medium, you don't have based Geinoh Yamashirogumi's 10/10 soundtrack or the realtime action sequences that the manga has, and the manga has some content that the film doesn't have. They are both good.
>>
>>6416880
Mah nigga. Shit is my WiFi password.
>>
>>64168757
This post reeks of fedora
>>
File: 1442191405540.jpg (244 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1442191405540.jpg
244 KB, 500x500
>>64169090
realtime action sequences that the film* has
>>
>>64169128
No Im a fucking normie guy who just watches movies in theaters when he can and torrents a fuck ton.
With most animated movies they are just so shallow and since its made for children there are often characters that fill in the Jar Jar binks arctype like that snowman from Frozen. Pixar has some movies that actually break the mold and Ghibli has movies that try to be a bit more than just kids movies yet not going too far into weird ass Japanese shit.
>>
File: 1447540987636.jpg (20 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
1447540987636.jpg
20 KB, 500x335
>>64169128
>>64168497
>>64168551
>>64168634
ITT contrarian faggots
>>
>>64169267
>>64169533
I can tell your hands were on the brim of your fedora as you typed these posts
>>
File: Guards.png (114 KB, 424x480) Image search: [Google]
Guards.png
114 KB, 424x480
>>64168551
>There are no real life parables outside of tragedy

>War scenes in Howl's Moving Castle
>Giant Warriors being an allegory for nuclear bombs in Naussica
>The ENTIRETY of Princess Mononoke
>>
File: fuck texas.png (148 KB, 499x399) Image search: [Google]
fuck texas.png
148 KB, 499x399
>>64169636
i'd rather be an obese kissless fedora wearing cuck if it meant i wasn't a gay ass pleb who can't appreciate miyazaki's movies to be frank with you famalam
>>
>>64168562
Cat soup, dead leaves, and angel's egg are experimental garbage, dead leaves especially.
>>
>>64168368
Porco Rosso is the best Ghibli movie
>>
I don't get Spirited Away at all desu senpai. The animation is nice, but it's not interesting at all. There's nothing "deep" about it, and the direction only seems to be other than lifeless because of all the fantasy shit. Nausicaa, Laputa, and Mononoke are all better films. Even Kiki is more interesting than Spirited.

I also don't understand Totoro outside of Totoro himself being cute.
>>
File: 1450037993739.gif (81 KB, 182x249) Image search: [Google]
1450037993739.gif
81 KB, 182x249
>>64169890
I know you're just being contrarian but I have to respond to Dead Leaves because the non-animes need to know.

Dead Leaves is 50 minutes of non-stop action, explosions, bullets and sex. It's pretty hard to not find enjoyable.
>>
>>64168497
Admit it, you don't like it because normies like it. I know this feeling but I ignore normies and know that the wizard uprising is coming and the normies will regret everything they've done.
>>
>>64168562
Only Yesterday is more 'mature' than any of those movies.
>>
File: 1443026167055.png (566 KB, 640x905) Image search: [Google]
1443026167055.png
566 KB, 640x905
>>64170006
Spirited Away has quite a lot of underlying analogy about going away from home as a young girl, stepping out into the world, between struggling to find work, running into good and bad people, having creeps push money into your face, the consideration of prostitution, etc. etc. as far as anything "deeper" to it goes. It has some moral statements about the possible benefits of helping others or helping nature as all ghibli movies have. There's some interesting stuff about the film, but god damn the ending is so fucking bad.
>>
>>64169866
It's not that I don't appreciate his movies, it's that I recognize the only real difference between his movies and Disney/Pixar's is the artstyle
>>
Grave of the Fireflies is GOAT of all time.
>>
>>64170032
What reason to be contrarian. The off screen sex scene did make my penis hard but the second half was pretty aimless. The action also got dull since there was no breathing room.
>>
File: 1442088970369.jpg (68 KB, 704x480) Image search: [Google]
1442088970369.jpg
68 KB, 704x480
>>64170097
I guess you could say that, but to make shallow but direct observations people get their arms shot off and up and fucking killed and stuff in Mononoke and Nausicaa, they have very observable features that separate them from a film designed entirely for children, which Only Yesterday does not have, though the themes of approaching life are much more complex in that movie than other Ghibli films.

I'm off to work, no more autistic weeb posting in this thread sorry.
>>
>>64168368
Spirited Away is literally better than anything Disney has done, and I love Disney/Pixar films.
>>
File: 1432230095082.jpg (56 KB, 573x495) Image search: [Google]
1432230095082.jpg
56 KB, 573x495
>>64170266
Don't make me remember.
>>
>>64168562
>literally entry level shit

which "guide to japanese animation" did you read faggot
>>
>>64168368
Kiki is still the best Ghibli movie. Porco Rosso is a close second.
>>
>>64170360
>better than any of Fantasia, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Wall-E, Inside Out, Ratatouille, The Lion King, Tarzan, Beauty and the Beast, Wreck-It Ralph

Weeaboo, please
>>
>>64168919
>but they lack a lot of the raw creativity and variety of a lot of Pixar stuff
>variety and creativity

I dunno man, they all feel more or less the same to me. Most of the movies essentially deal with unlikely friendships that occur in the midst of trauma or tragedy. They might put a unique twist on some element of life, but ultimately the stories feel bland and unimaginative when it comes down to it imo.
>>
>>64170411
Japanese Animation is pretty easy to get into desu
http://letterboxd.com/oski99/list/japan-animation/
>>
>>64170482
>UP isn't in your list

I don't have any reaction pictures on this computer but if I did I'd probably post a picture of a fat sweaty tired angry man looking toward the bottom left hand side of the picture's border with disgust.
>>
>>64170291
its only like 45 minutes long dude
>>
>>64170206
Yeah, I got all that, I just don't see how it's anything interesting. The girl isn't a very compelling character in her own right, and the dragon boy is just awful. I can't really remember the ending right now, but I assume it was shit because the entire movie was like a 6/10 anyway.

I feel like SA and other Miyazaki films are only respected because they are anime without people charging their power levels and shooting laser beams from their hands, because normies in the West have never heard of shit like Lain or Zetsubou-Sensei, and thus think all anime is shonenshit.
>>
>>64170482
>The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Wall-E, Inside Out, The Lion King, Tarzan, Beauty and the Beast, Wreck-It Ralph
>good
Are you serious?
>>
>>64170587
>because normies in the West have never heard of shit like Lain or Zetsubou-Sensei, and thus think all anime is shonenshit.

That's true, but Naussica and Princess Mononoke are most definitely the best Miyazaki films and the ones I always recommend; Spirited Away is overrated I feel.
>>
>>64170482
>Fantasia,
The only good thing is the music
>The Hunchback of Notre Dame,
Oh yes, the butcheted version of a classic tale.
>Wall-E,
Looks generic and the enviromental message is even worse
>Inside Out,
Haven't seen it
>Ratatouille,
feels more like a cheap dreamworks production
>The Lion King,
Plagiarism at its finest
>Tarzan,
Butchering of a classic tale
>Beauty and the Beast
Nice looking but there is nothing else to it
>Wreck-It Ralph
/v/eddit pls go
>>
>>64170573
Up is one of Pixar's most overrated movies, along with The Incredibles.

>>64170603
Yes.
>>
>>64170482
>Wreck-It Ralph

>Amerifats are this deluded that they think Wreck it Ralph is better than Spirited Away

That film doesn't even come close m8.
>>
>>64170266
This movie is not sad at all. The narrative device of having the ghost of the boy telling the story is neat, but the actual characters are shit. The girl is realistically bratty, but the boy is only interesting if you view the film as his incompetence in raising his imouto, rather than anything about the horrors of war or whatever. Also I don't understand how I am supposed to cry to a film that tells you what sad event will happen in the very first scene. If I know the kids are already dead, why would it be shocking to see them die? I will grant that the little girl becoming delirious and making riceballs out of mud was sad, but her actual death left me indifferent. The boy's yearning for death was much better, when he was homeless, squatting in the subway station.
>>
>>64170482
Shit taste confirmed.
>>
>>64170650
Do you have any valid criticisms, or do you just not pay attention when you're watching a film?
>>
>>64168562
>muh mature anime for adults like myself

almost every studio ghibli film is better than any disney/pixar film, and directors like satoshi kon do absolutely nothing with the creativity that one can have with the medium of animation.

jin roh and memories are also examples of movies with great animation being used to pedal almost non-existant story (the first film in memories is relatively good).
>>
>>64170618
I agree with your recommendations then. Nausicaa and Laputa are my favorite Miyazakis and Only Yesterday is my favorite Ghibli overall. Spirited Away I think is only ever considered to be the best because it came on Toonami before the others.
>>
>>64170692
you have to be a big fucking retard to actually utter the expression of "Also I don't understand how I am supposed to cry to a film that tells you what sad event will happen in the very first scene"

i hope you realize what a big vapid waste of space you are in this world.
>>
>>64170771
said the guy that only said "they are good" without pointing why they are supposedly better
>>
>>64170885
I'm just saying the film would have been better if it didn't start at the end like that. Before I ever saw the movie, I already knew the kids died, but I thought it would be like a huge deal within the movie, as in having the kids grow up together with no one else and then die at separate times in a natural progression. The movie itself was actually like that, but prefaced with some shitty "I bet you're wondering how we died, huh? Here's our story" shit you might find in any post-Pulp Fiction film from the late 90s. To tell you upfront that the kids are going to die, to have them essentially say "we're dead kids, look at how it happens" is to more or less prove that the whole film relies on the kids dying. There's nothing important to the film except for the deaths of the kids and how sad they're supposed to be. If that first scene didn't exist, and we just jump into the kids' lives with their mom before the evacuations and shit, the actual deaths would have more impact because the kids' development (hindered as it is by the boy's incompetence) would have more weight to it. Without the first scene, the film would be about two kids who try to live alone, homeless, in a war-torn world, who eventually die because they can't take care of themselves without adults. Instead, with the first scene, we have a movie about kids who die because they fail at living alone. The sequence of how events are presented affects how important they are made out to be.
>>
>>64171207
Grave of the fireflies came out 6 years before Pulp fiction though
>>
>>64172616
I wasn't speaking literally
>>
>>64168802

This anon is absolutely correct
>>
>>64168562
>However, Mononoke and Nausicaa > any pixar/disney film imo. Spirited Away would be up there too if it wasn't for the shit ending.

You're forgetting their best one.
>>
>>64168368
>pixar classics
LMAO HE THINKS 3D STANDS ANY GROUND TO HAND DRAWN JAPANESE ANIMATION. LMAO.
>>
>>64168497
Contrarian but not wrong,

I like it
>>
I watched Pinocchio the other day and it felt more akin to a Ghibli movie than a Disney movie to me. I really dislike what Disney has become. It's manufactured and cynical.
>>
>>64168497
this
>>
>>64168919
>raw creativity and variety of a lot of Pixar stuff
>7 samurais, with bugs
>doc hollywood, with cars
>>
>>64168368
my dad had been watching this movie since he broke his leg. he had me watch it. I don't watch jap trash, but it was bretty gud desu senpai.
>>
>>64168802
This is the realest nigga ive ever seen
>>
Ocean Waves was the Ghibli work that resonated with me the most.
>>
>>64168368

ghibli is art

pixar is children's cartoons
>>
>>64168368

>Pixar classics?

You know Ghibli and Miyazaki were making films at LEAST a decade before Pixar existed, right? Or is this bait?
>>
>>64175797
In all fairness, Pinocchio was the second Disney animated movie after Snow White, which was such a high point for the studio. After WW2 ran Disney through the wringer, a lot of magic was lost, and it has only gotten worse from there.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 543x405) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 543x405
>>64168368
Animation in general is so shit tier that video games have managed to become a more respectable medium filled with auteurs around the world.
Animation will always be regarded as something for children and fans are okay with that. At least video game fans want their favorite medium to evolve and get better.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.