[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck is everyone being so nitpicky? You can't suspend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 9
File: swimaxpost-156214 (1).jpg (152 KB, 655x380) Image search: [Google]
swimaxpost-156214 (1).jpg
152 KB, 655x380
Why the fuck is everyone being so nitpicky? You can't suspend disbelief for a fairy tale about space wizards? Cinema sins has ruined film criticism; people care more about the internal logic of a film than basic storytelling competence.
>>
>>64168319
Autists being autists, people know that star wars fans REALLY love star wars, so they get a kick out of nitpicking every last detail out of the new film as it will make people mad.
>>
>>64168319
Thank you! I fucking hate people quoting Cinema Sins like its a legitimate review of the film. They always do it withmsuch a smug look as well, like they came up with it.
Fuck Cinema Sins.
>>
>just turn your brain off
>it's FUN
>>
File: 1428148161330.gif (2 MB, 480x1710) Image search: [Google]
1428148161330.gif
2 MB, 480x1710
>>64168319
Santa claus isn't real.
Religions are cults.
Grow up son; there's a big, bigoted, racist world out there FOR YOU to discover.
>>
>>64168319
>nitpicky
is being not impressed being nitpicky?
Fuck off op
Some people didn't like it because it wasn't anything great
like Jurassic world
>>
>>64168319
except people are not criticizing internal logic, they are criticizing storytelling competence, you mong. Everyone thinks the pace and characters are shit, and the plot is trash. Literally no one cares about internal logic like "why didn't han shoot his bowcaster before" except for redditors. Everyone who has a problem with this film has it for the right reasons.
>>
>>64168649

Shut up fatty
>>
>>64168649
Not to compare JJ Abrams to Shakespeare, but Othello doesn't make any sense when you think about it, yet people still consider it a masterpiece because they realize that the plausibility and logic of its story isn't the point.
>>
>>64168758
NO SHIT SHERLOCK
Do you really think people actually believe a rich fuck who dresses like a bat is just fine and dandy and it makes 100% sense?
Jesus chirst you are so fucking dense
>>
>>64168721
>why did Finn turn so easily when he was supposed to be brainwashed from birth?
>why was Rey able to learn the force so quickly?
>why did Rey just happen to find the Millennium Falcon?
>why did Kylo Ren lose? Hasn't he trained longer than Rey?
Every major criticism has been about the internal logic of the film
>>
>>64168844
why are you so angry
>>
>>64168844
Then why care so much that one particular space wizard beat another space wizard in a sword fight at the end?
>>
File: 4SiHoTeq.jpg (18 KB, 287x287) Image search: [Google]
4SiHoTeq.jpg
18 KB, 287x287
I enjoyed The Force Awakens, but it isn't without flaws and to say we're not allowed to criticize the film is stupid. Why even come to a movie/tv discussion board if you don't want to discuss the aspects of the movie?

My biggest complaint with TFA is MaRey Sue. It's not just a simple nitpick when the protagonist of the film is perfect without flaws or struggle. This leaves no solid development, no room for character growth. When every other character in the cast is much more interesting than the protagonist, there is a problem.
>>
>>64168853
Nope
sorry you are keep getting baited
Some people here actually didn't like the story or the pace of the movie.
But keep shitposting through and pretend TFA haters all have autism and hate it because hurr durr he didn't use a blaster
>>
>>64168708
It was about 100 times better than Jurrasic World m80.
>>
>>64168853
It's never said that he turned "easily". We never see him actually conform and since Jakku was his first assignment it's possible he's never really been enamored with the First Order. As to why it didn't work on him but did on others, I would guess it's some sort of Force sensitivity.
>>why was Rey able to learn the force so quickly?
Because she is incredibly strong with the Force.
>>why did Rey just happen to find the Millennium Falcon?
Cause it's a movie. Do people get really hung up about this?
>>why did Kylo Ren lose? Hasn't he trained longer than Rey?
Yes, but she's also incredibly powerful and he was injured -- injured by a weapon that was shown throughout the film to be insanely powerful.

This film's storytelling was not the problem. Its tone was a bit inconsistent and it rehashed some stuff, sure, but that's just so people would re-trust the brand. the next movie is sure to be different.
>>
>>64168909
Because there wasn't ANYTHING that built up to rey being a great warrior or jedi.
We just saw few unrelated scene that implied she was brave and strong, the overall story barely focused on Rey being someone special or having great potential like luke.
No setup and no pay offs
>>
>>64168853

You are literally the only person I've seen that has a problem with the way this is handled in the film, how autistic are you?
>>
>>64168956
Then they really do a poor job of articulating it. Instead of bitching about how the story unfolds, they almost exclusively get angry about stuff like Rey beating Kylo Ren.
>>
>>64169002
>storytelling was not the problem
haha
no
It was so unfocused and everywhere and it introduced characters that were totally unnecessary
>>
>>64169097
Well I can tell you are kinda retarded if you thought TFA was pretty good and you were okay with it after watching it.
It was faulted as hell and the story was pretty bad.
The only interesting thing about it was Kylo Ren """""""arc""""""""
>>
>>64169064
>You are literally the only person I've seen that has a problem with the way this is handled in the film, how autistic are you?
There are at least three or four major youtube reviews (with 100K+ views) that mention this.

>Finn has the shittiest motivation of any character. YOUVE BEEN BRAINWASHED FOR YEARS!!!

^upvoted reddit comment
>>
>>64168319
People will suspend their belief about anything except human nature
Women aren't strong and independent
>>
>>64169063
It is built up throughout out the whole movie though. Jesus christ, were you actually watching it?
>>
>>64169161
I do agree with you a bit - thought the middle was a bit muddy and could've done with some more downtime. The Rathtar bit seemed a bit unnecessary. Realistically though it's a solid story - it's not great but it's nowhere near as bad as how people say it is, including that guy who i replied to in the first place
>>
>>64169002
It's worth noting that I don't agree with those critiques, i'm just mentioning them as critiques often proffered by people who dislike the movie
>>
File: 1402342391434.png (143 KB, 395x420) Image search: [Google]
1402342391434.png
143 KB, 395x420
>>64169211
>watching youtube reviewers outside of RLM
>>
>>64168319
What if JJ's plan is to reverse the plot of the originals?
Rey is wildly successful in this film, but then fails terribly in the next two.
>>
>>64169232
Ya list it you fuck because I know you can't
"hurr durr it did" isn't a good defence
I watched the movie at least three times now and there really isn't anything that shows rey's great destiny or potential like how they did it in the new hope.
>>
>>64169063
Are you stupid?????????? She is shown throughout the entire movie to be good at things that jedi are good at. She can fight, she can fly the Falcon, she has the connection with Luke's lightsaber, she can resist Force tricks that others can't - she's constantly improving and it all peaks at the end. It's not out of nowhere in the slightest.
>>
>>64169278
What if she joins the dark side and Kylo redeems himself by sacrificing his life to kill her?
>>
>>64168937
>Mary Sue
I've seen this a million times and I don't understand why people keep saying it. It's just an extremely lazy way of explaining why you didn't like the character.
In what way is she a Mary Sue? Because she beat a severely injured, overconfident, brash Vader wannabe who probably never had to fight for life before? Because she discovered her powers and used them? Not to mention she shows weakness throughout the entire movie, running away, crying, wanting to return to Jakku to wait for her parents who will never come back.
Concerning her easily aquired affinity to force, I suspect it will be explained in the next movie.
>>
>>64169288
How do you think they show it in a New Hope?
>>
>>64169288
Dialogue. Kylo Ren LITERALLY states to Snoke about how powerful she is, yet unaware of it. Through all his mind fucking she obviously realized what she can do with her power. You. Fucking. Shitstain. Cunt.
>>
>>64169313
Kylo sacrifices his life to save Rey from Snoke which results in Snoke dying.
ITS LIKE POTTERY
>>
>>64169313
this is my theory
>>
>>64168853
that's shitty storytelling. there are no setups and payoffs for rey, finn's arc is rushed, things like finding han and the milenium falcon is all coincidences, which just shows a shitty script.
>>
>>64169342
Ben from the beginning sets it up
Luke is unsure of himself but at the end with the guidance and trusting himself and the force he destories the death star
What about rey?
Some unrelated scenes showing she is good at fighting and piloting and some yellow alien saying OH YOU FOUND THE LIGHT SABER?
And snoke and kylo saying "DID YOU FELT IT?"
it doesn't indirectly show rey is someone great like luke and at the end does a PAY OFF and defeat kylo
>>
>>64169407
There doesn't have to be fucking setups and payoffs you idiot, it's the FIRST movie in a new fucking trilogy. Seriously, quit acting like you're an expert on writing and storytelling.
>>
>>64169345
Ya saying what a great force user she is prequel tier story telling
>>
>>64169504
And the originals just set up Luke SO much better right? You're only saying this because you've seen all 3 of the originals, so of course he's going to be a better fleshed out character. Lmao, whatever man. Your arguments pretty poor but thanks for the laughs
>>
>>64169486
>There doesn't have to be fucking setups and payoffs you idiot
Are you retarded?
> it's the FIRST movie in a new fucking trilogy
So?
People don't judge star wars as a trilogy but judge them as individual movies like people should.
It's bad because it's the first one is a bad response
>>
>>64169486
>quit acting like you're an expert on writing and storytelling
i am though. you just want to convince yourself that the movie you enjoyed wasn't a 6/10 without nostalgia goggles

>it's the FIRST movie in a new fucking trilogy
ANH still stands on its own. Besides, how does that excuse plot conveniences and rushed character arcs?
>>
>>64168937
I was rooting against her for most of the film hoping at some point she would at some point show some flaw or have some difficulty with something, but she just cruises through the whole movie. Having a shitty past doesn't mean you get the powers to be perfect for the rest of your life if anything it should leave you pretty messed up.
>>
>>64169407
>Finns arc is rushed
No it isn't. We don't need 20 minutes of exposition for what can be accomplished with a 5 minute scene. It was his first combat mission and he was traumatized seeing all that violence up close. That's all we need.

>things like finding han and the milenium falcon is all coincidences
As opposed to the droid Vader built accompanying a droid who received a message from his long-lost daughter who happens to be a princess finding its way to his long lost son?
>>
>>64169559
Wow thanks for being a TFA shills
New Hope is a 10 times better movie than TFA and it does it ten times better
>>64169469

Luke is unsure of himself but at the end with the guidance and trusting himself and the force he destories the death star
What about rey?
Some unrelated scenes showing she is good at fighting and piloting and some yellow alien saying OH YOU FOUND THE LIGHT SABER?
And snoke and kylo saying "DID YOU FELT IT?"
it doesn't indirectly show rey is someone great like luke and at the end does a PAY OFF and defeat kylo
>>
>>64169504
Literal quote from Ep.5:

Emperor Palpatine: There is a great disturbance in the Force.
Vader: I have felt it.
Palpatine: We have a new enemy. The young Rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker.
Vader: How is that possible?
Palpatine: Search your feelings, Lord Vader. You will know it to be true. He could destroy us.
Vader: He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him.
Palpatine: The Force is strong with him. The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi.
Vader: If he could be turned, he would become a powerful ally.

Now shut the fuck up.
>>
>>64169469
Hahahahaha what a fair and nonbiased comparison.

Ben from the beginning sets it up by saying how he has much to learn but he is strong with the force... the same way Kylo Ren says the same things about Rey.

Rey is also unsure of herself but at the end with the guidance of Maz and Han she trusts herself and the force and she defeats Kylo Ren. The only difference is in your head.
>>
>>64169338
>Expert mechanic
>Expert pilot
>Can operate the Falcon better than fucking Han Solo
>Speaks every language
>Somehow having the time to get all of these skills despite being an extremely poor girl living on her own in the desert, scavenging to barely survive
>The only time she is defeated she resists Ren's mind probing and escapes on her own
>Her capture only serves to show how strong she is
>Uses the Force without any training or knowledge of the techniques she uses
>Wants to return to Jakku for all of two minutes
>Walks right into the Resistance as a literal nobody with Leia treating her like a daughter
>Chewie, who is tough to become close to, loves her
>Trusted with the all important mission of finding Luke
>>
>>64169623
>quoting the special editions

reddit pls leave
>>
>>64169486
Have you seen the OT? Each film is satisfying despite them being individual entries into a trilogy. You can't shrug off criticisms in this movie with "oh it'll be better in the next one".
>>
>>64169652
Literally the same as Anakin in Episode 1
>>
>>64169566
It isn't bad. It's not as good as ANH or ESB sure, but it's by no means bad. Good action, well directed, new characters are cool (bar Rey, as everyone on here seems to think), nicely filmed etc etc. Stop being an edgelord and hating on it because it's popular
>>
>>64169637
And when does she meet Maz? Like a hour and 30 mins into the movie?
What great set up and I love how they rushed the rey's story into a final epic battle with kylo
The tone was so retarded and I have no idea why you think TFA is great after watching it
>>
>>64169211
I figured finn just wanted to escape all of it. it made perfect sense to me. him turning around and killing a bunch of storm troopers after they landed on orange aliens planet didn't really make much sense to me though
>>
>>64169703
>him turning around and killing a bunch of storm troopers after they landed on orange aliens planet
They were trying to kill him. I saw it as pure self-defense, with a bit of loyalty to the people who recently saved his life thrown in
>>
>>64169680
To be honest it's okay
But it's no where nearly polished and complete like a new hope
>>
>>64169592
It doesn't. ANH's my favorite star wars movie and probably always will be. I went back and watched it the other day and parts of it are cringey as fuck. Plot conveniences? Oh you mean like how R2 gets taken by the Jawas and then amazingly is reunited with C3-PO, and THEN gets sold to Luke? Hmm... All the star wars movies have problems except Empire, some more than others. TFA wasn't amazing and I'm not saying it is, but it's not a terrible movie like everyone on here's making it out to be.
>>
>>64169652
It's almost like there is more to her character than we have been told.
>>
>>64169696
She meets Han before that, and the dialogue between Kylo Ren and Snoke sets it up quite early on as well.

The tone is something completely different - I said earlier the tone was off so I agree with you there - I also never said TFA was a great movie but it's a really good one - somewhere close to Return but maybe not quite as good. It's definitely not a bad film by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
>>64169756
Wasn't Lucas and co. not sure if they were going to have another film? Would make sense for it to wrapped up a lot more. There doesn't need to be another movie after ANH - the popularity demanded it though and off they went
>>
>>64169756
Thank you.
>>
File: star_worse_a_not-so-new_hopeless.png (1021 KB, 1115x1380) Image search: [Google]
star_worse_a_not-so-new_hopeless.png
1021 KB, 1115x1380
>>64168319
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDjXJqdXD-I&feature=youtu.be&t=39m26s
>>
>>64169779
>it's not a terrible movie like everyone on here's making it out to be
it isn't. but you have the people who are hyping it up like it is better than a 6 out of 10, so naturally there has to be a group of people to counteract that. It's like the force. there must be balance.
>>
>>64168319

Basic storytelling competence is maintaining the logic of that story.
>>
>>64169678
I don't think anyone was saying Anakin was a good character anon.
>>
>>64169835
For what? from the beginning of the thread I started off saying it wasn't something that was impressive.
Being an okay movie has it's negatives.
At least be something, be good or bad rather than being in this limbo and remaining unmemorable
>>64168708
>Some people didn't like it because it wasn't anything great
>>
>>64169876
That image is the autism i'm talking about. The vast majority of those "complaints" either can be easily explained, or don't affect the narrative and characters one bit
>>
>>64169678
Episode 1 is shit, but at least there is more of an explanation than what we are given for Rey in TFA.

Anakin
>Expert mechanic because he works as a slave fixing things all day for Watto
>Knows how to pod race because Watto has forced him to participate in the races all his life
>It is established that he is not a good pod racer, having never finished a race, only surviving because of his innate Jedi reflexes
>Can speak Huttese to Watto and Sebulba because he was raised on Tatooine

Where are we given any examples as to why Rey is capable of outmaneuvering trained tie fighters in her first spin in the Falcon? Why should she understand Chewie or BB8?
>>
>>64169786
What a lazy excuse. Finn and Kylo Ren were both introduced in this movie and were both stronger characters.
>>
>>64169981
>Where are we given any examples as to why Rey is capable of outmaneuvering trained tie fighters in her first spin in the Falcon?
The Force.
>Why should she understand Chewie or BB8?
Because she has worked with aliens and machines her entire life.
>>
>>64169981
>>Expert mechanic because he works as a slave fixing things all day for Watto
As opposed to Rey, whose entire job was scavenging mechanical objects

>>Can speak Huttese to Watto and Sebulba because he was raised on Tatooine
As opposed to Rey, who lives on the diverse planet of Jakku
>>
Finally saw it. Where does Kylo Ren rank in force user power rankings? Dead last? Pod racer anakin would destroy him.
>>
>>64169678
>W-w-w-well you nerds all loved Anakin in the prequels, FemFreq told me so!
>>
>>64169827
Again "because it's the first of the trilogy" is a horrible reply.
TFA should be judged as an independent movie like the new hope and JJ could have written a movie that felt more finished like the new hope or similar to it than a movie that felt too incomplete and open ended. Nothing was truly accomplished except blowing up the star killer and proving rey was a jedi
>>
File: 1451251101377.jpg (45 KB, 747x709) Image search: [Google]
1451251101377.jpg
45 KB, 747x709
Just turn off your brain and enjoy the film, guys. :^)
>>
>>64170137
>Nothing was truly accomplished except stopping the Resistance from being destroyed and having the title and entire purpose of the film being fulfilled.

Why does it have to wrap up completely? I mean it is part of a trilogy. We know there's going to be more movies. Doesn't it make sense to set things up for the next couple rather than have three barely related plots? I don't see the aversion
>>
>>64169876
That image is pure unadulterated autism, I am honestly shocked that someone took the time out of their day to write all of this shit, and then format it in such an autistic way.
>>
The thing is, that it's just alright.

Decent, but not excellent. OK.

Better than mediocre, but not great.

Like A New Hope with some differences, so I got just what I want it.

I'm pretty happy. Can't wait for a new Star Wars film every year.

It's Ok.

Just the right amount of entertainment. We should all be happy, right?

We should be content consumers.

J.J. Abrams is a competent director. Not that great, but he gets the job done.

It's alright. All of us, should embrace the spectacle.

With a bucket of popcorn with extra butter and a Cherry Icee, I sat down in a seat in the AMC theater and enjoyed a decent two hours of life watching a cool, but not great, piece of film.

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens.

It's alright.
>>
>>64170239
The trend of setting up the next ten movies at the end and the whole "cinematic universe" thing has to stop.
>>
>>64170285
10/10 it's ok
t. IGN
>>
>>64169980
>all criticism of the movie can be disregarded because it don't affect the narrative
now we all know you are just pretending.
>>
>>64170104
Grabbing pieces from broken down pieces of junk is not equivalent to repairing droids and ships.

We are never shown a reason for Rey to know the languages she knows.
>>
>>64170368
I didn't suggest that all criticism can be dismissed, just the majority of the ones presented there. They're the definition of cinema sins nitpicks
>>
>>64168683
The Edge
>>
>>64168758
Please do olaborate on how othello doesn't make any sense, I'm in need of a good laugh
>>
>>64170096
Oh, so a girl who at that point was unaware that Jedis and the Force actually existed was able to pilot and repair a massive ship like the Falcon, while fucking Force Jesus Anakin could only go so far as surviving in a tiny pod racer?
>>
>>64168319
It has flaws but it's competent enough to ignore them.

The prequels didn't do this and it's flaws were far worse.
>>
>>64170410
>We are never shown a reason for Rey to know the languages she knows.
The part where the aliens on her home planet are all speaking different languages.

>Grabbing pieces from broken down pieces of junk is not equivalent to repairing droids and ships.
In order to understand the demand for a particular object you have to be aware of what it does
>>
>>64170410
>Grabbing pieces from broken down pieces of junk is not equivalent to repairing droids and ships.
How do you think she built her home, and it's not too far fetched to think she built her speeder herself.
>We are never shown a reason for Rey to know the languages she knows.
Are you intentionally ignoring that she spends all her days around aliens?
>>
>>64170497
She only spoke in a different language to the guy she took BB8 from. She spoke Basic to everyone else. I would be fine with her knowing her neighbor's language just like I was fine with Anakin speaking Huttese to his owner, but her being some kind of language savant is ridiculous.

There's identifying and knowing what an object does and then there's knowing how to fix said object.
>>
>>64170497
>Rey to know the languages she knows
Don't be retarded
she was living on jakku for how many years?
Obviously she will know the language of the planet she is fucking living on
>>
>>64170451
The plot is straight out of Three's Company. The bad guy finds a handkerchief that Othello himself had dropped (and conveniently doesn't recognize as he drops it), then puts it in Cassio's room to imply that Desdemona slept with him, where Bianca finds it and is suddenly important enough for Othello to remember that he gave that same handkerchief to his wife as a gift earlier. It's literally just a dumb misunderstanding.
>>
>>64170424
Well if you translate them from memespeak, there are quite a few legitimate nuggets in the shit.
>>
>>64170666
Oh yeah, I'm sure everyone on Jakku was speaking Shyriiwook which is practically impossible for anyone, but a Wookiee. On a patchwork planet they're going to speak Basic, which Rey spoke with most of the characters.
>>
>it's ok to rip to shreds the prequels but nobody FUCKING DARE to touch my SJW sequels
>>
>>64168319
Minor nitpicks are fun to joke about but never taken seriously. It's when there are very obvious plot devices that detract your experience away from the film that it becomes a problem.
>>
File: 1432085625075.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1432085625075.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>>64170438
>>
>>64168319
>internal logic of a film than basic storytelling competence.
implying that they aren't related
>>
>>64168319
>nitpicky
>serious film issues are now considered nitpicks

I hate you so much.
>>
>>64171000
Ha. That's a good gif
>>
>>64171040
The only serious film issues are how similar it is to A New Hope, and whether or not you think the force is a power that awakens in people (like Luke destroying the Death Star with the force), or something that requires years of training (like the prequels).
>>
>>64168319
>>64168647
CinemaSins is a fucking comedy series. Anyone who takes it as legit criticism is wrong. The guy who makes it has done actual movie reviews, but they aren't Cinemasins productions.
>>
>>64171296
Isn't the requirement of a comedy series that it be funny?
>>
>>64171333
If that were true SNL wouldn't still be on the air.
>>
>>64170831
My friend you seem to be someone of the greatest stupidity, arguing with you seems pointless but I will attempt to bring you some much needed sense.
You seem to of completely disregarded what Shakespere was clearly going for with this play, how Iago is able to manipulate a simple accident, the significance of the handkerchief to Othello and most importantly how the tragic flaw of our main character lets a simple misunderstanding take his valour and virtue from him.
I recommend rereading or rewatching the play and then looking at some critical analysis before attempting to analyse the play with the mind of a child, better still just shut up you humongous twat. Goodnight
>>
>>64171296
I don't blame cinema sins, I blame the people who take what they do seriously and judge a film with that sort of mentality
>>
>>64169002
>he's never been enamored with the first order
he's been raised by the first order since he's a fucking toddler. he doesn't know anything else. how would he develop a sense of right and wrong that goes against the first order?
>>
>>64171968
I'm not disparaging the play, you goddamn retard. It's one of my top three by the bard. I'm simply demonstrating that applying the cinema sins logic to criticize drama completely misses the point given that even masterpieces like Othello have plausibility issues. Sacrificing plausibility to make for more enthralling scenarios is something that we've been able to accept until quite recently. It's called suspension of disbelief.
>>
>>64172177
>how would he develop a sense of right and wrong that goes against the first order?
A sense of right and wrong is inherent. Even brainwashed Nazis and communists defected.
>>
>>64168319
what i learned from this film
>white men are evil
>untrained women will beat trained men everytime because men are mindless beasts
>white marriage always fails
>interacial marriage (black male x white female only) is encouraged
>>
>>64172503
Ah I understand now, that's fine sorry for being mean earlier. Just next time don't say "Othello doesn't make any sense" say something like "Othello has problems which can only be combated with the suspension of the audiences belief" in order to avoid arguments with angry people like me. Thanks for your time bud
>>
File: smile.gif (3 MB, 350x289) Image search: [Google]
smile.gif
3 MB, 350x289
Does anyone have that image with Rey and Luke side by side and it has a list of contrasts between the two characters proving Rey to be a MaRey Sue?
>>
>>64173960
Rey was basically a superhero discovering her powers in this movie. It felt like a Marvel origin story
>>
>>64168319
>can talk to a robot only the pilot can because hes been with the robot for ages (BB8/Poe)
>can talk to an alien that only the buddy of the alien can because hes been with the alien for ages (Han/Chewie)
>can repair literally anything (on her world/Falcon/in the enemy's lair with their technology)
>can fly literally anything (on her world/Falcon/on other planets)
>can somehow know that Jedi's have a mind trick while captured and conveniently use it on the enemy
>can outdo an experienced enemy with a forcegrab for the first time
>can outduel an experienced enemy with a lightsaber for the first time

FUCK YOU
>>
>>64170096
>The Force.
FUCK YOU APOLOGIST FAGGOT

I BET YOURE MY COWORKER

DO YOU LIVE IN COLORADO? I WILL TELL YOU THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR AN ANSWER AT WORK TOMORROW
>>
>>64169610
>traumatized seeing all that violence up close
>Then proceeds to join the other side to commit more acts of violence 5 minutes later
>>
>>64169002
You're the worst fucking apologist. People like you with the shitty attitude of "it's only a movie" are why so many movies are such fucking garbage.
>>
>>64175560
He was being shot at you doof. People who aren't autists feel differently killing in self-defense than killing mostly unarmed villages.
>>
>>64175885
>bro dies, traumatizes him enough to leave
>kills all of his other bros on the way out because he doesn't like when his bros die
there should have been some progression at least, that's all im saying
>>
>>64176193
I don't think it was his friend dying that did it. He saw the violence being committed and got freaked out. Also, it could very well be that that happened to be his only friend in the First Order
>>
>>64175382
yeah, and I bet you're fine with Luke mastering an X-Wing in ANH without any prior experience
>>
>>64176254
But he was a pilot and he raced with Biggs. The Academy is just a formality for those who have prior experience.
>>
>>64176254
>he mastered

He almost died to Vader
He lucked out on a photon launch, and literally all he had to do was navigate a ravine/valley for a few hundred kilometers

He didn't battle Vader in ANH and defeat him
He didn't understand Chewie or R2D2 in the first movie
He didn't mind trick anyone in the first movie
He didn't fix a plot device
He didn't . . .

continue
>>
>>64176926
>He lucked out on a photon launch, and literally all he had to do was navigate a ravine/valley for a few hundred kilometers
nigga he used the force
agree on everything else but tbf vader was a lot stronger than kylo
>>
>>64176998
Yeah he used the force, and he lucked out it went in with his second try

Rey didn't fail
once
and didnt see her improve or the reasons why she is so 'perfect'
>>
>>64176566
Because a T-16 and an X-Wing have the exact same controls and shape.

Jesus, most different models of cars under a single brand name don't feel similar. Although, Luke is saved from being a MuhRey Sue because he needed Ben's guidance to use the force to know when to pull the trigger on the missiles -- he couldn't do it on his own. And he's saved by Han showing up, too.

the only NOT MuhRey Sue thing Rey does the whole film is let the Rathtars out, but I feel that whole scene should have been cut. I know it was meant to give Han a chance to see Finn and Rey in action where they gain his respect, but the scene barely succeeds at that.
>>
>>64170285
Well said anon
>>
>>
>>64169486
oh hey guys movies are now tv shows, who knew.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KygZTsqOFic

>16 second shot that starts at a threatening low angle, then shits to the film humiliating his character by turning his tantrum into a joke with the storntroopers after he discovers that Rey humiliated him by escaping, adding insult to injury and making him even more pathetic.
How can anyone dislike this movie? It's actually really well directed
>>
>CinemaSins ruined film criticism
Not really, but I can see where you're coming from.

It wasnt Jeremy that did it, its his hairbrained fanbase that takes it too seriously. I like CS, and he's put a lot of my favorite movies on blast, but even I get that its a fucking joke.

He flatout said in the "Everything Wrong With CinemaSins" video that they did it as a huge joke and they didnt post the videos under the comedy category because "we're not comedians, we're assholes"
>>
>>64168319
>the internal logic of a film than basic storytelling competence
But /tv/'s been doing that for so much longer... /v/ and /mu/ too, hell, all this fucking site is.

That's how the world goes, dude. First they take your nerdy hobby and make it a worldwide thing, now they're coming to take your autism too. Great times!!
>>
>>64168683
Using the word "son" does not make you an adult, mate.
>>
>>64169652

This, fampai.
Her character was fucking absurd in every way
>>
>>64179582
every time i see your trip i want to kill you. you somehow manage to sound like the biggest pretentious cock while the only thing I ever see you talk about is Star Wars.
>>
>>64181149
>while the only thing I ever see you talk about is Star Wars.
Could be because every single thread on /tv/ this week has been about Star Wars
>>
>>64181216
i remember seeing him months ago, in some other star wars thread, saying something that pissed me off back then too.
>>
>>64169786

>more to her character

There isn't. And if there is it's fucking stupid horseshit they are going to pull out of their asses when they realize the biggest source of fan backlash is at her being perfect at literally everything.

For 95% of the movie she wants nothing more than to finish this job, and go back and wait for Luke or her mum to come back. That's it.

They'll end up pulling some horseshit where the fat asshole who ran the scrap yard was secretly making her stronger by giving her less food and attempting to fuck her over all the time. They could turn it into a Saturday Morning cartoon, where the fat cheap dickhead constantly tries to ruin her life and all the while giving her a Dr.who level of mastery of everything all the way. Like the episode where she is 8, and is forced to steal the millennium falcon in order to find some extra scrap so his bank doesn't reposes her broken ATT.

It was a good movie, but it's biggest flaws where her and the storm trooper. Who is apparently the only mildly competent storm trooper since the animated clone wars. I shudder to think how fucked the Rebels would be if he embraced the dark side.
>>
>>64169981
The Force.

All of it.
>>
>>64169981

>Why should she understand Chewie or BB8?
And English/Galactic?
And Jawwa or whatever that little turd was?
And whatever language the asian raiders are speaking?
>>
>>64169678

You know what Anakin did in episode 1 given that he was the chosen one with the force? He guessed some pictures in front of a council of muppets. You know what Rey did with the force in her first movie? She resisted mind probes, learned the jedi mind trick, and out lightsabered the primary antagonist of the movie.

Honestly anakin was shit to begin with so bringing him up doesn't really make Rey any less of a shit character.
>>
>>64175329
she really is a special snowflake
>>
>>64182128

>you now realize that Rey will be a canon Starkiller

lol
Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.