[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Taking film studies this semester. What can I expect?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: George_Lucas_cropped_2009.jpg (143 KB, 604x797) Image search: [Google]
George_Lucas_cropped_2009.jpg
143 KB, 604x797
Taking film studies this semester. What can I expect?
>>
You're either gonna love looking at movies in new ways or be distraught because your sense of wonder will be destroyed.
>>
Anticipate wasting money.
>>
Unemployment
>>
>film study

Enjoy your perpetual unemployment
>>
>>64161619
>>64161626
>no I don't go to college. That's for plebs.
>MOM WHERES MY TENDIES
>>
>>64161589
Oh it shows Quentin!
>>
>>64161523
Spending time with pretentious assholes
>>
>>64161664
Thank you, virgin posting on an anonymous anime image board!
>>
>>64161659
STEM master race
I only watch films as a hobby, and I like shitposting on /tv/ as a side
>>
>>64161659
Nigger we took STEM because having a job is better than digging yourself into debt over a hobby. You would be making shit RIGHT NOW if you had the capacity to create anything inspired. Don't hate on us because we don't take our fun that seriously.
>>
Here is a list

>pretentiousness
>French New Wave
>edgy teenagers in class whose favorite movies is something Tarantino or A Clockwork Orange
>waste of time in general
>plebs every fucking where
>circlejerk around Citizen Kane
>>
>There are people on /tv/ RIGHT NOW who aren't in STEM

My fucking sides
>>
I'm a engineering major faggots.
>>
George Lucas
>>
>>64161659
We go/went to college for actual degrees
>>
>>64161659
>I studied film, everything else is for plebs
>MOM WHERES MY TENDIES
>>
File: 1445283824257.jpg (24 KB, 521x256) Image search: [Google]
1445283824257.jpg
24 KB, 521x256
>>64161738
>>64161793
>>64161882

these first semester "stem" kids (read: babby took xyz engineering degree)

enjoy your two years of unemployment followed by 40 years of agonizingly boring office work
>>
>>64163034
OP didn't say he was studying film, just taking a class, which is what you're supposed to do in university. In fact, later on he claims to be STEM, so I don't get what you're fussing over here.
>>
>going to film school
>not going to films
baka
>>
Economics is better than STEM and also guarantees a more successful future.

Also, yeah, Film Studies -----> Unemployment basement dwelling life awaits you
>>
>>64163165
btfo
>>
>>64163165

>computer science major
>self employed
>already made three successful apps, sold one of them
>get stoned, watch movies, code
>make 70k a year

living the dream and i'm 25, picked the right field desu.
>>
>>64163165
>tfw waiting for my teacher to approve the second stage of my master degree thesis
Laughing at your shit life, you clueless moron
>>
>not having a mechanical engineering degree and an MBA

Enjoy your trailer homes, poorfags
>>
>>64163165
And you are in...?
>>
>>64163327
oh yeah well I already sold a dozen apps and have my willy in your mum's mouth right now and I make 999k a year and shit solid gold bars
>>
>>64163389

Third year studying kino with a master filmmaker. Finishing up my fifth screenplay. In the process of filming two.
>>
>>64163337
enjoy your unemployment, just around the corner now

you really got sold on then engineering meme

>>64163389
masters in international security
>>
DonĀ“t go to film school
go to movies
>>
>>64163327
Planning on going into CS, your life is pretty much my end goal. Do you just have a bachelor's or did you get your master's?
>>
>>64163415

You sound like an unbearable, pretentious faggot.

You will go far
>>
>>64163444
I already have job offers lying in my email and about half aren't in consulting shit :)
>>
>>64163480

bachelors, but i never really had high dreams for a career. i worked at a telecommunications company for 2 years and quit cause i started writing apps and got way more into that. i'm thinking about applying to a few mobile development firms but right now i'm costing. i suggest learning C and C+, my school only really taught with java and its pretty useless for what i wanted to do.
>>
>>64163617
Very cool. I had been taking Java classes offered at my high school so I'm alright at it, is C similar at all or is it a completely different thing?
>>
>>64163236
Agreed senpai. STEM cucks BTFO
>>
>>64163236
>>64163715
;)
>>
>>64163710

java -> C -> C+

it's a fairly simple progression really, once you get C down C+ extremely easy to get a hold of. it's object oriented like java is so it'll feel more familiar than C, but i still highly recommend learning C first.

after that, it's up to what you want to do.
>>
>>64163884
Appreciate the advice immensely pham, gl if you decide to apply
>>
>>64163571
grats on becoming a teacher ;)

you could have done that in half the time and for a fraction of the cost
>>
>>64163956

ty, computer science is literally the greatest career field for relatively clever lazy pieces of shit. it's like a cheat code on life and everybody is just now starting to figure that out. good luck friend.
>>
>>64161523

>film studies

Here's your first problem..
>>
>>64163884
Why are you telling him this? C and C+ are not in demand now. No one needs the autistic levels of precision the C language gives you. Java or C# is the way to go.
>>
why are you negroes going on about degrees? OP clearly said he's just taking a class, which may be necessary to fulfill general education requirements
>>
>>64164060

he asked what i suggested and that's what i told him.

i learned in that progression and i feel it gave me a firm command over most other languages i learned after that.
>>
File: 223 THV 2.jpg (264 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
223 THV 2.jpg
264 KB, 1024x768
>>64161523

Brutal anal rape (Not Guaranteed)
>>
STEMfags go on and on about muh degree and muh jobs and look down on everyone who didn't major in a STEM field. Are yall stupid or something? If everyone majored in STEM then you wouldn't have a good job idiot. You should be grateful that people study film and stuff.
>>
>>64164302

Thats the joke

keep it an inside joke as long as possible

(blue collar will rule the earth*)
>>
Depends. If you're taking like FIS 100 or something, it's going to be exactly like what other people have mentioned. My first film class took place in an auditorium, so only the people in the front really only participated.

I have the syllabus on my computer somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look for it so just take my word for it when I tell you that we watched some pretty accessible shit that you should've seen already (The Godfather, Easy Rider, The General, Do The Right Thing, Sunset Boulevard, etc).
75% of the people in the class are there for an easy art credit and most likely total fucking plebs in every sense of the word (i.e. they complain about B&W, movies made before 1990, and make the stupidest suggestions about what to watch). The other percentage are film students taking the class so they can move on to higher film classes (like production or something) who are more often than not really pretentious, especially about their own projects.

However, if you can make it out of there not disillusioned by the experience, some of the professor who teach specialized classes are insightful and worth paying attention to.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.