[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: the-assassin-poster.jpg (487 KB, 680x1007) Image search: [Google]
the-assassin-poster.jpg
487 KB, 680x1007
What?
>>
If you don't get why this was the greatest film of 2015 you are a hardcore pleb and need to watch more films.
>>
>>64159669
Can you elaborate?
>>
Might be the worst film from h^3
>>
>>64159669

is this a good starting place for HHH? I've only seen Cafe Lumiere and although I liked it I didn't see the greatness in it that others seem to see. Should I just watch this or is it better to check out other stuff first? I have Millennium Mambo and City of Sadness.
>>
>>64159638
convince me to watch this.

i dont like flying through the air kung fu like hero, i guess this one is different?
>>
>>64159701
The Assassin shows HHH's mastery of the "visual language" of the cinema. He is a highly formal filmmaker who understands the rigor of composition and framing to such a degree that he can innovate in a medium where practically every single way of filming a thing has already been done. HHH is also not just showing off, he employs the nonverbal to add layers of meaning to the story, conveying information about the story and adding depth to the characters without having to say a damn thing. It's a masterpiece of the craft.
>>
>>64159815
It has very little flying
The fight scenes are still a bit choreographed and flashy
But they constitute very little of the film itself, which is glacially paced, and the fight scenes when they happen are fast
>>
>>64159859
Man I gotta watch this. I'm sick of flicks where directors just use shakeycam and closeups all the time.
>>
>>64159815
The Assassin is NOT house of flying wire work. The trailer is a total misdirection.

>>64159732
I would watch TheFlight of Red Balloon to get into HHH, it's accessible and has a great performance by Juliet Binoche. If you like it watch The Red Balloon from 1956 as it is a huge influence.
>>
>>64159859
>The Dark Knight Rises shows Nolan's mastery of the "visual language" of the cinema. He is a highly formal filmmaker who understands the rigor of composition and framing to such a degree that he can innovate in a medium where practically every single way of filming a thing has already been done. Nolan is also not just showing off, he employs the nonverbal to add layers of meaning to the story, conveying information about the story and adding depth to the characters without having to say a damn thing. It's a masterpiece of the craft.
>>
>>64159970
>>
File: 1382220472091.jpg (85 KB, 600x478) Image search: [Google]
1382220472091.jpg
85 KB, 600x478
The Room shows Wiseau's mastery of the "visual language" of the cinema. He is a highly formal filmmaker who understands the rigor of composition and framing to such a degree that he can innovate in a medium where practically every single way of filming a thing has already been done. Wiseau is also not just showing off, he employs the nonverbal to add layers of meaning to the story, conveying information about the story and adding depth to the characters without having to say a damn thing. It's a masterpiece of the craft.
>>
>>64159970
>The Phantom Menace shows Lucas's mastery of the "visual language" of the cinema. He is a highly formal filmmaker who understands the rigor of composition and framing to such a degree that he can innovate in a medium where practically every single way of filming a thing has already been done. Nolan is also not just showing off, he employs the nonverbal to add layers of meaning to the story, conveying information about the story and adding depth to the characters without having to say a damn thing. It's a masterpiece of the craft.
>>
A Talking Cat!?! shows DeCoteau's mastery of the "visual language" of the cinema. He is a highly formal filmmaker who understands the rigor of composition and framing to such a degree that he can innovate in a medium where practically every single way of filming a thing has already been done. DeCoteau is also not just showing off his love of teenage boys, he employs the nonverbal to add layers of meaning to the story, conveying information about the story and adding depth to the characters without having to say a damn thing. It's a masterpiece of the craft.
>>
meme
>>
who was the assassin with the mask?
>>
>>64159638
>movie begins with '"the"
D R O P P E D
>>
>>64159859
This might be one of the finest tailored reviews I've read on this shitty indonesian soccer image board.
>>
>>64162564
I thought that was someone sent by the "nun" to remind her of the mission.
Can anyone explain the politics of the movie? Even with the opening explanation, it was really difficult to understand what was going on politically. I know that's not the point, but still I'd like to know.
>>
>>64159638
>Everyone was, in one way or another, ravished.

Does he know what that word means?
>>
>>64163011
>the assassin was a princess that was supossed to marry a dude but the guy betrayed her, so they sent her to the nun
>the province is figuring out whether or not they should do what the imperial court says, they dont want to get invaded like Wushu
>the ruler of the province's bro speaks in a defiant way about the court and the court's asskissers get him banished
>the ruler's wife is behind a couple of magic murders. i think they imply that she killed the rulers father

I don't know why they were trying to bury the bro alive tho, and I think the guys that attacked them were sent by the ruler himself
>>
this may be it - the worst arthouse movie i have ever seen
>>
>>64159732
I'd recommend City of Sadness first
>>
>>64159669
>>64159701
>>64159859
What?
>>
>>64163744
Pleb
>>
>>64159859
You managed to say absolutely nothing about the film.
>>
>>64159859
that's the most vague, meaningless review i've ever seen
>>
>>64164094
but really, I'm a big fan on slow, contemplative films if they actually give something to think about

here I just see nice shots of goats chewing grass and little to no plot
>>
>>64164159
But he did. Parallel ideas.

>>64164190
Compared to /tv/ level, this is Cervantes
>>
will I like this if I liked Hero?
>>
>>64164199
>plot
There's your problem, the plot isn't the focus here.
>>
>>64164231
Stop speaking in third person. The only thing your 'review' did was point out that it's a movie and thus uses images.
>>
>>64164319
But I'm not the guy. I'm a merely a supporter.
>>
>>64164319

No, my review said that HHH is distinguished in his field, and is an innovator in a well explored medium. He uses filmic language in a highly formal way, which some of us appreciate, and apparently that slipped past you.
>>
File: image.jpg (336 KB, 1600x1071) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
336 KB, 1600x1071
>the 2005 section of Three Times

9/10 would watch multiple times again
>>
>>64164475
Wow, even more meaningless platitudes.
>>
>>64164475
no but seriously, what are you saying about the film
>>
>>64164288
there is no focus here, it's just empty shell trying to be something fAm
>>
>>64164514
How so? Praising a film for having good visuals is a valid endorsement since film is made up of images. I don't get why that seems to upset you.
>>
>>64164703
That's all you've done. You said you like his images. You said he's "innovative" and "formal" but you've made zero attempt to explain what either of those statements mean nor give example.
>>
>>64164573
>>64164663
The assassin is an example of the synthesis of the techniques that made the art form of he cinema great. HHH uses all the techniques available to create powerful imagery, which is the heart of cinema. Watch more films of you don't pick up on the visual rhymes he is drawing on with his style choices.
>>
>>64164769
Formal means he is always using a strongly composed shot that follows the rules of good photography. These rules are present in all visual mediums so you could call them "painterly" techniques. He doesn't ever stray from this style, even during action scenes which usually require at least some documentary style footage.
>>
>>64164769
He is innovative because film has been done to death, and to be able to find new ways to shoot, like filming through silks for example, which he didn't invent but used quite well here, are cool ways to do something new.
>>
>>64164931
That's not a style you want for an action movie.

>But it's not an action movie.
Right. It was a convoluted and uninteresting film about politics with characters no one could care about. Like Tsai's Stray Dogs if Tsai were to get rid of every interesting thematic element and character and shoehorn in politics.
>>
>>64164856
>watch more films
ok someone needs to reduce his ego

also, the fight scenes are the worst choreographed thing i've seen in a long time

this film kind of reminds of late godard with the directors making a turd and arthouse audience fapping to it
>>
>>64165247
Ah, finally showing the full plebness. Thank you. Now I know who I'm dealing with.
>>
>>64165487
No, he's right. Cool your ego. You have no idea what you're talking about. The Assassin is in no way innovative. You're not hot shit for watching your first art-house movie.
>>
>>64165247
>this film kind of reminds of late godard with the directors making a turd and arthouse audience fapping to it
>late godard
>not being the best Godard

Shame anon, shame. Histoire(s), In Praise of Love and Our Music are among his strongest work.
>>
>>64164475

Feel free to point out said innovations and/or highlight winning compositions. I got all my life.
>>
>>64165247
Where's the ego suggesting you watch more films to pick up on patterns that repeat all through cinematic history? The assassin is an example of variations on a theme. All the shots have been done before, but HHH does them in a nicely refined way in the movie. Most well regarded art house films contain variations on stylistic ideas that have been in place since the silent era.
>>
>>64166376
>spoon feed me the artistry of the film
Just watch it again dude it's worth it.
>>
>>64164475
No, my review here >>64159970 said that Nolan is distinguished in his field, and is an innovator in a well explored medium. He uses filmic language in a highly formal way, which some of us appreciate, and apparently that slipped past you.
>>
>>64159669
you spelled knight of cups very strangely.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.