[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could a worthy adaptation ever be made? Who would direct?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8
File: duneposter.jpg (83 KB, 748x1062) Image search: [Google]
duneposter.jpg
83 KB, 748x1062
Could a worthy adaptation ever be made? Who would direct?
>>
>>64156690

>thirty years ago

Oh look, another space opera he was in! I swear Max Von Sydow doesn't age.

Also, OP: Fuck You I Liked It
>>
>>64156690
1. Yes
2. Me
>>
Jodorowsky ;_;
>>
>>64157794
jokes on you, jodorowsky is a fucking hack
>>
1. Yes
2. Wachowski siblings
>>
>>64157887
That makes me feel sick
>>
SciFi Channel already did it perfectly.
>>
>>64156690
1. Yes, the story at its core is little different to classics like Star Wars.

2. Zack Snyder.
>>
>>64156690
>Who would direct?
J
J
Abrams
>>
>>64158073
Nah I hear JJ is going to tackle the Godfather series next.
>>
>>64156690
JJ Abrams

>>64157882
No
>>
Terry Gilliam, though he'd bankrupt the studio
>>
>>64156690
I actually liked that movie.
>>
>>64156690

A worthy adaptation was made. Starring John Hurt.
>>
>>64156690
Nolan
>>
>>64157794

This

Tbh if this got made Star Wars would have never existed and Disney would own the rights to the far superior IP to work with
>>
>>64156690
You are the one who is unworthy of Lynch's adaptation, not the other way around
>>
>>64157882

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNQZF0KF-zw

>this man
>a hack
>>
David Lynch made a good one that got brutally butchered at the editing stage by the studio.
>>
>>64158831

is there a directors cut?
>>
>>64158073
>Abrams
Why don't suggest Brett Ratner while you're at it?
>>
>>64158842
Sadly not. It has a lot of good things about it but they cut so much out its a convoluted mess.
>>
>>64156690
Read the book, it's pretty blah.
Too many movies have already stolen from it, it'll just be seen as derivative.
>>
What are you guys talking about? Lynch's adaption was shit compared to the Syfy miniseries. Why the fuck was the weirding way some type of sonic scream from a voice box instead of the badass martial art its supposed to be?
>>
>>64158842
there's a fanedit of the lost scenes, it's not bad.
>>
File: 1449956553685.jpg (24 KB, 285x290) Image search: [Google]
1449956553685.jpg
24 KB, 285x290
>>64158989
>Syfy miniseries
WEW LAD
>>
>>64159011
>>64158922
>>64158842

there's a rough cut of the movie without post-production effects that's over 4 hours long. i have it on two vhs copies that i stole from block buster a long time ago.
>>
File: id3028791.jpg (38 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
id3028791.jpg
38 KB, 400x300
Partisans spin-off when?
>>
>yfw this could have legitimately been a sci fi masterpiece if the studios didnt fuck it up
>>
I don't think so, and no, the Jodorowski screenplay wouldn't have work as well as adaptation, it would have been a good movie, but it would have been HIS Dune not Herbert's, to be true Jodo himself stated that.
Dune is about politics and gnosticism (in the wide meaning of the term), Lynch made a goofy Lowrence of Arabia in Space, that was the start idea of the book, but not it's meaning, and this was because he hate sci-fi and that book in particular since he was a rival of Jodorowsky.
Someone could think to an adaptation of the book series for TV, because now there is a fashion of tv shows based on fantasy books, like GoT or Shannara, but Dune is different, is about a future humanity that accept Allah as God, regects computers, colonize the galaxy only with dieselpunk technology and starts an empire based on the trading and the cult of a hallucinatory drug, after being literally cyber cucks for millennia.
>>
File: w7MWufS.jpg (355 KB, 1268x685) Image search: [Google]
w7MWufS.jpg
355 KB, 1268x685
>>64157882
Its more the people he hired than Jorodwosky.
>>
>>64159534

A TV show is honestly the only way you could possibly do this justice. You could never fit the entire story into a 3 hour movie. Don't think it'll ever happen unfortunately.
>>
>>64159836
>Giraud
>Giger
>Pink Floyd
>hacks
>>
>>64156690
I don't trust any of Hollywood's hack directors. This is the decade of sarcastic ADHD 3D high frame rate films for babies. A Dune film should look and feel like Lawrence of Arabia in space, but that could never happen today.
>>
>>64160029
You misunderstand, I don't think any of them are hacks.
Unless I misunderstand you and you are calling them all hacks?
>>
>>64159836
>them designs
So animu it is then.
>>
File: bait.jpg (67 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
67 KB, 600x600
>>64158073
>>
>>64157887
The Wachowskis could do some interesting things with Dune. I'd love to see some of the design style from Jupiter Ass-ending and Cloud Atlas adapted for Dune.
What needs to happen to do Dune any justice is to find someone who knows the first 6 books inside-out, and can adapt them properly. Jackson did this pretty well (not perfectly) with LotR (and completely cocked it up with the Hobbit.)
Then, you need a studio that would let the director make the movie right, without shoehorning in comic relief goofball characters or some dumbass extra love story, or by making Irulan cool.
>>
Is Dune like LoGH?
>>
>>64160193
Sorry. The guy said Jodorowsky is a hack and you said "it's more the people he hired," which, gramatically, suggests you were saying that the people who Jodorowsky hired were hacks.
>>
>>64161450
no, not really.
kind of
>>
>>64158730
Nolan's imagination is too brittle for Dune.
>>
File: image32-e1361322966623.jpg (152 KB, 1205x748) Image search: [Google]
image32-e1361322966623.jpg
152 KB, 1205x748
>>64157959
Hell yeah

Space waifu coming through
>>
File: typicalanon.jpg (34 KB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
typicalanon.jpg
34 KB, 640x272
>>64160786
nice image anon
>>
>>64160029
>Moebius
>Dali
>Magma
>Hacks
>>
>>64157794
He would make a great movie, yes, but an atrocious Dune.
>>
>>64156690
The God himself!
>>
>>64156690
>Could a worthy adaptation ever be made?
Yeah, but it would have to be either a series of three or four long movies to just cover the first book or a series with a lot more budget than the sci-fi one. The series is very densely packed with backstory, seemingly unimportant information, and subplots that are absolutely crucial to the overall narrative arcs, and the first book is also on the long side.

I mean I think sci-fi/fantasy trilogies are kinda obnoxious at this point but a natural way to divide it would be one movie covering the first part of the book up until Duke Leto gets killed, the next one about Paul and his mom in the desert up until Paul is fully accepted as a Fremen and the messiah, and the final movie starting there and covering up until the end obviously. Each movie would have to be at least two, possibly three hours. You can't make Dune move fast and that was one of the pitfalls of the Lynch adaptation, even though it was fairly long it made the meat of the book go by in maybe twenty minutes and never explained anything really after the Duke got killed.

>Who would direct?
I'm actually not sure, a lot of modern science-fiction and fantasy movies are kinda lackluster so probably someone who's real old or some unknown.

>>64159836
Those designs are so awful, or rather they're good but they have next to nothing to do with how things were described in the book to the point where it's kinda frustrating.
>>
Alex Proyas wants to do it. It is his #1 dream project.
>>
>>64164871
>Gods of Egypt doesn't feature dindus as wewuz
Approved
>>
George Miller
>>
>>64157794
The problem with this is that Jodorowsky was going to make The Jodorowsky LSD Movie with a slight Dune flavor, if he were to stay decently close to the book while still maintaining his own style it could be interesting, though I think overemphasizing the psychedelic elements and making it a drug movie instead of an ultimately political story, but from what we know about Jodorowsky's plans for it, it wouldn't have stayed close to the book at all and just been The Holy Mountain II: Spice Boogaloo
>>
>>64157794
didn't he say he wanted to direct Dune even though he had never read the book?
>>
>>64164278

>this will literally never happen

It requires too big of a budget, too expansive of a world, it's too niche and unsellable to modern audiences. Unless you bastardized it and made it some action shlock, nobody would care. It's an unfortunate reality. Dune will never have a fully realized representation on the big screen. It's probably better off that way.
>>
>>64165063

He read a story board adaptation of the book.
>>
Westwood
>>
>>64164871

>I, Robot
>Knowing
>The Crow

ehhhhh...leave Dune alone
>>
>>64165110
He MADE a story board adaptation of the book nigga
>>
>>64165238

Oh right, then someone told him the story. I forget, desu the documentary was boring was fuck I slept through that shit.
>>
The book wasn't anything special. Lynch did a fine job, which is interesting because he's a hack.
>>
>>64165195
Dark City... forgot that one?
>>
didnt they make a good mini series of it already?
>>
>>64166108
"Good" is kind of a stretch desu senpai
>>
obviously jar jar abrams is gonna get the gig piew piew
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.