[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I hate David O. Russell. His last two movies were dreadful. So
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8
I hate David O. Russell. His last two movies were dreadful. So why did I really like this?
>>
You're being paid.
>>
>>64151015
no but maybe not paying to see it helped.
>>
>>64150995
fine fuck you all
>>
>>64150995
MOTY
>>
They weren't, though.
>>
>>64150995
>He likes a Jennifer Lawrence movie.
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (34 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
34 KB, 413x395
>>64150995
>not even reddit liked this garbage

JUST
>>
>>64152138
I don't like a film because LE MEMES don't allow me to
>>
>>64150995
Armond is going to praise it and /tv/ will back-pedal.

Screen-cap this post.
>>
>>64152083
very nice meme
>>
>>64150995
I liked it and Silver Linings Playbook.
American Hustle can eat a dick though
>>
Honestly haven't enjoyed a single David O. Russell/Jlaw joint. I don't know why people rave about them. Silver Linings play book was like watching normies attempt to understand mental illness it was so cringe worthy.
>>
>>64152200
I'm questioning your taste because you watch and enjoyed a movie with a terrible "actress" who is a terrible person.
>>
>>64152312
She is a terrible person and not a great actress but she is very much playing to her strengths in Joy and the supporting cast really shines. Isabella Rossellini, Diane Ladd, DeNiro, Virginia Marsden, even Bradley Cooper had one really good scene despite his very limited role.
>>
>>64152312
Why is she a 'terrible' person? That's a retarded accusation.
>>
>>64152384
Because she has the audacity to say that she is underpaid as a woman and her Networth is Sixty Million dollars.
>Just like us!
>What a brave woman with a cause
Not to mention insulting Christians (heaven forbid she did this to Jews or Muslims) which everyone gets a free pass on and nobody calls anyone out on. I mean I'm not even a Christian and that is just plain dickish behavior. It's that tribalism and us vs. them mentality that causes such b.s. in the world.
>>
>>64152556
Yeah her whole "I was so underpaid for American Hustle" when she made millions more than the far superior Amy Adams was in horrible taste. She definitely got too successful too young and as a result her ego is inflated.

I still think Joy was a good movie and JLaw was so full of dignified promise in Winter's Bone. Shame her career has proven otherwise.
>>
>/tv/ actually likes an O. Russell film

Pleb Central
>>
>>64152644
Well it's no Spanking the Monkey I'll give you that.
>>
>>64152234
>Honestly haven't enjoyed a single David O. Russell/Jlaw joint.
I really don't know what is so special about David O. Russell, his movies are so meh.
>>
>>64153095
He gets by on imitating Woody Allen, Martin Scorsese, and Ridley Scott.
>>
>>64152644

>Three Kings.
Did you forget?
You're the pleb
>>
>>64153175
Three Kings was a bunch of pampered celebrities pissing and moaning about the Gulf War and congratulating themselves for being so anti-establishment and pointing out these flaws in foreign policy and international relations from the safety of hindsight. Russell is lucky 9/11 happened because now a bunch of low-IQ liberals hail him as a prophet for his low-rent war film. Also even liberal old George Clooney knocked Russell the fuck out he was so tired of his shit.
>>
>>64153244
based dark comedy is not a war film.
>>
>>64153244
Are you suggesting only poor people can do satire?
>>
Because you're a contrarian.
>>
>>64153244
It's a fucking heist film with politics peppered in the background. Stop using mental gymnastics to feel superior for such arbitrary reasons.
>>
You have a head injury.
>>
>>64152556
>>64152619

This. She's bought into the tumblr le women are victims culture like most dumbshit 20-something females, but she uses her fame to push it's absurd agenda.

that said i would still like to jump up and down on her butt.
>>
>>64152644
Spanking the Monkey to I Heart Huckabees is a better run than most directors can hope for. Too bad he realized he didn't need to try to win shiny statures.
>>
>>64153994
>>64154049
It was satire for the first twenty minutes at most. Then it became a shitty aesop/cautionary tale with an already over-the-hill Ice Cube and a woefully miscast Spike Jonze. Clooney and Wahlberg were okay I guess but Mykelti Williams was such an utter cardboard stereotype and Nora Dunn doing her best Marcia Gay Harden impression was woeful. And the torture scenes which took up a big chunk of the second half weren't really visceral torture scenes a much as they were some guy wagging his finger angrily in the American's face.
>>
>>64154250
Are you suggesting only poor people can do satire?
>>
>>64154151
No it's definitely the other way around and you know it. The heist aspect was a big part of the first twenty minutes but then it completely changes its tune when they kill the evil Iraqis controlling the village.
>>
>>64154310
I'm suggesting it was about as satirical as an episode of The Newsroom.
>>
File: great-dictator-4.jpg (149 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
great-dictator-4.jpg
149 KB, 1024x768
>>64154351
Are you suggesting satire can't be cautionary?
>>
>>64154401
I'm suggesting "cautionary satire" loses its power because it always comes from a place of fear. Why do you think people make fun of fans of Idiocracy?
>>
>>64154463
Are you suggesting people make fun of fans of The Great Dictator?
>>
>>64154531
I certainly have a laugh whenever someone unironically calls that mawkish speech at the end the greatest and "truest" thing ever written.
>>
>>64154576
Are you suggesting sincerity is something to mock?
>>
>>64154319
It's primarily a heist film. It's structured that way and zips along like any heist film would. It does have political messages but really it's about an amoral/apathetic criminal gaining a conscience.
>>
>>64154611
I'm suggesting sincerity and satire rarely mix because sincerity suggests objectivity, and the best kinds of satire acknowledges all sides as flawed.
>>
>>64154672
Are you suggesting sincerity does not suggest true subjectivity?
>>
>>64154665
The structure of the storyline notwithstanding, you said it: an amoral criminal gains a conscience. This criminal happens to be part of a military installation that is also being "criminal". The satire permeates every scene, you can't escape it. I wouldn't even mind so much if it wasn't so self-congratulatory. That is the worst thing you could do as a satirist.
>>
>>64154711
>>64154611
>>64154531
>>64154401
>>64154310
>>64154049

Im suggesting you stop posting.
>>
>>64154808
Are you suggesting something?
>>
>>64154711
It does, but sincere satire thinks it's being objective because it is telling you what it believes is "right", when in reality it is just subjective. Really, they only present you with their viewpoint but they believe it's the right viewpoint, thus they think it's objective.
>>
>>64154755
Again, the military installation is the backdrop for a character study. The military isn't portrayed as overtly evil or criminal, and multiple points of view get represented. The war is portrayed more as a clusterfuck if anything which by all accounts makes it accurate satire. I don't know why you find it self-congratulatory.
>>
>>64152312
Some of hollywood's greatest actors were horrible people. Not being able to dissociate the actor and the role is a sign of autism.
>>
File: jlaw_natural.jpg (51 KB, 384x550) Image search: [Google]
jlaw_natural.jpg
51 KB, 384x550
>>64154227
>that said i would still like to jump up and down on her butt.

Part of her problem.

Whores like JLaw should be torn down and called out on their bullshit. She's not even good-looking, average at best
>>
>>64155003
In particular I thought the last ten minutes and the climax itself, culminating with Wahlberg being the "better man" than his torturer was terribly executed.
>>
>>64155177
>average at best
That's what makes her so appealing though. She's attainable, like the women at college who got obnoxiously drunk and started singing Ludacris together in public places. JLaw could easily be one of the women in this picture.
>>
>>64155653
The whole point of the movie is the characters rediscovering their humanity. Bottom line is that if you needlessly kill people you're an asshole, it doesn't matter what the justification is. Try not to filter everything through a political lens.
>>
>>64155873
>Try not to filter everything through a political lens.
Maybe using the hottest political talking point of the last 25 years as a backdrop wasn't a good idea. If David O. Russell wanted to tell such a simple story it could have been about any conflict any place at any time. Why Iraq?
>>
>>64155966
War is one of the most effective ways to explore moral relativism, and the quagmire that was the Gulf War both lends itself to the craziness of the film and makes the main character's apathy seem completely reasonable. Despite having war as a backdrop I wouldn't classify it primarily as a war film or a political one.
>>
>>64155003
>The war is portrayed more as a clusterfuck if anything which by all accounts makes it accurate satire.
>america goes in and easily defeat saddam's forces
>get 50% of kuwait's oil for free

wow, such a clusterfuck, it was the easiest and most profitable war the US has ever had
>>
File: concernedjew.jpg (77 KB, 745x672) Image search: [Google]
concernedjew.jpg
77 KB, 745x672
>>64155692

is she wearing a pad .. with her thong?
>>
>>64156541
Yeah man, open and shut case. We fucked their non-white asses up so hard that we never heard a peep out of them again. Best war ever.
>>
>>64156730
thongs have tags. don't ask my why
>>
>>64156982

i own plenty of thongs, none of them have tags the size of a pad.
>>
I thought The Fighter was great, everything after that has been obnoxious shit
>>
>>64150995
Watched it Friday and JLaw made the film hope she wins an Oscar for it
>>
>>64157212
Why would men wear thongs? Honest question.
>>
>>64156730
I think that's a light reflection on her dress m8
>>
File: 3523525.jpg (78 KB, 792x410) Image search: [Google]
3523525.jpg
78 KB, 792x410
>60 MILLION DOLLARS

>Only 19m first week

IT'S OVER!
JLAW IS FINISHED!!
>>
>>64150995
American Heist was such a fucking film school movie I wont ever bother watching him again

It's like someone watched Reddit's top 100 tricks to make a good socially acceptable movie and boom American Heist or whatever the fuck that shi heap was named was born.

Shitcunt
>>
>>64158703

>pretending not to know the name of the movie, to emphasize the fact that you didn't like it

I agree with you, but stop this autistic shit
>>
>>64158696
I feel bad for De Niro though
He's literally the Coppola of actors
>>
>>64158760
I literally do not recall if AH was name of the movie.
>>
>>64155088
Yeah but I'd rather hang out with Klaus Klinski (rip in peace) than with her, and Jim Carrey.
>>
1. "Silver Linings Playbook"
2. "The Fighter"
3. "Joy"
4. "American Hustle"
5. "I Heart Huckabees"
6. "Three Kings"
7. "Flirting with Disaster"
8. "Spanking the Monkey"
>>
>>64158905
Meh, I don't know what everyone saw in SLP. The comedy was very ill-tempered and obnoxious. I didn't think it was a good portrayal of working-class people. The Fighter on the other hand was a lot more dignified.
>>
>>64158905
Based Thor telling it like it is
>>
File: Bristol_stool_chart.jpg (367 KB, 800x1002) Image search: [Google]
Bristol_stool_chart.jpg
367 KB, 800x1002
>>64158905
Ranking doesn't mean much when you are ranking which sort of shits tastes the best.
>>
>>64159425
>>>reddit
>>
>>64152234
But them leggings scenes
And that tortured beautiful woman character
>>
>>64158905
I continuously try to not be disappointed with the absolute wrong opinions about movies on this board, but somehow people keep coming up with new ways to do it.
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.