[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WTF is going on in this movie.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: inherent-vice-book-cover.jpg (242 KB, 612x939) Image search: [Google]
inherent-vice-book-cover.jpg
242 KB, 612x939
WTF is going on in this movie.
>>
That's a book, friendo.
>>
>>64149979

it is no longer a book dear acquaintance, it is now a major motion picture
>>
just a bunch of hippy bullshit
>>
PTA's best if you've read the book
PTA's worst if you haven't
>>
>>64150107
>PTA's worst if you haven't
bullshit
>>
>>64150107
No. You can clearly understand movie even if you didn't read the book.
>>
>>64150107
I'd say it's the other way around. It's not a bad film, but the source material deserved a lot more.
>>
>>64149856
Its like watching a guy play an RPG.
He gets the main quests and a bunch of side quests and does a little of each as he goes along.
>>
It's shit
>>
A lot of the reason this movie is so confusing is because of the 'detective novel' format - because the protagonist is essentially doing research the entire time, there are a lot of references made by characters to other characters and events that are not pictured. You have to develop your own mental web of information while interpreting what you see at the same time, and god help you if you miss a detail.
>>
>>64149856
I enjoyed the plenty of interesting narrative choices, it tries to evoke the 60s psych atmosphere and all. Well shot, mostly well acted. I haven't read Pynchon's novel but is hard to imagine it being much better. A solid, 7.5 movie
>>
the 70ies man
>>
>>64150276
The Big Sleep is just like that and the movie is 70 years old, predating all of your silly videogames. Quit being a noob teenager
>>
I love how spaced out the conversations seemed. Almost never more than the people talking in the room as though the viewer themselves is high, notable to focus on anything except what's immediately in front of them.
>>
I must admit I hd no idea what was happening but I enjoyed it tremendously.
Will definitely rewatch.

What was with all the ridiculous close-ups on actors faces though?
>>
>>64150947
My interpretation was it represented Doc's intense concentration on the people he was talking too. He knew he was high so he had to really focus hard.
>>
>>64149856
le so randum xD: the movie
>>
>>64151077
fuck off and die
>>
>>64149856
Punishment for watching the movie instead of reading the incredibly based book

>>64150256
This is correct. The source material is a laugh per page. The film is "vibes" and failed memes
>>
>>64149856
I loved the scene where he escapes his handcuffs.
Its really simple yet it just made Doc seem very competent. A scene where I literally though "I wish I was this man."
>>
MOTTO PENEKEKU
>>
They cut the funniest moment in the book, the television/heroin.
>>
>>64149856
CIA tryna control our buzz brotherman.
>>
File: panukeiko.jpg (44 KB, 640x361) Image search: [Google]
panukeiko.jpg
44 KB, 640x361
>>64151297
KINICHIRO
>>
Just read the damn book.
It's not Pynchon's best, though.
>>
>>64152447
Not even a good entry point as its so different.
>>
BABE ALERT
>>
This is the only movie by PTA I've ever seen.
What others are worth checking out?
>>
File: 1438284191173.jpg (11 KB, 320x350) Image search: [Google]
1438284191173.jpg
11 KB, 320x350
>>64152579
There Will Be Blood is a great film and so is Boogie Nights
>>
>>64152579
All of them. Chronologically.
>>
>>64152579
Punch Drunk Love and The Master are his best ones. Everything else is worth a look I guess, but his earlier stuff is downright mediocre.
>>
LOOK OUT SURFERS
>>
>>64149856
Paul Thomas Anderson is operating at the peak of his abilities and it's going to take a long time for most people to recognize it.
>>
>>64149856
PTA cashing in on Big Lebowski memes while trying to cover his ass by picking something with pre-dating source material?
>>
>>64154745
Yeah because everyone who loves Big Lebowski loved Inherent Vice. And the book came out in 2009.
>>
>>64150256
came here to say this. they cut out a lot of the humor and poltics from the book. I didn't expect Vegas to make the cut, but there was not even Richard Nixon counterfeit dollars
>>
>>64152579
All of them, really. If you liked Inherent Vice, check out The Master. Completely different themes, but deals with them similarly, as in its not very straightforward but it evokes the feelings of the main character in you.

There Will Be Blood and Punch Drunk Love are my favorites, both extremely different. PTA once said that, for better or worse, Magnolia may be the best movie he ever makes. Boogie Nights is also held with high regard and is a solid movie. Never seen Hard Eight, but it seems alright
>>
>>64150256
>>64151252
>>64154830
You guys are coming off like elitist snobs. It's an extremely accurate adaptation, especially considering the sprawling and random nature of the source material. If you think the film "being vibes" or not including a specific subplot is indicative of it being a bad adaptation then you don't understand the book.
>>
>>64155071
hard eight is skipable, it's basically a long version of a """cool""" gangster short someone makes when they're a new film student
>>
The Master is still his best film
>>
>>64149856

it's not hard bud, close 4chan, slow VLC down to normal speed and pay attention
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.