[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Lucas the Wise?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (253 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
253 KB, 1024x683
Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Lucas the Wise?
>>
File: 1451195449761.jpg (189 KB, 1529x1200) Image search: [Google]
1451195449761.jpg
189 KB, 1529x1200
>Ironic.
>He could save others from going too far in a few places...
>But not himself.
>>
I thought not. It's not a story the Redditors would tell you. It's a 4chan legend.
>>
>>64145369

tell me
>>
>>64145201
>saved indiana jones from being retarded
>ruined star waars
lol
>>
>Thinking Lucas has any talent at all

STOP THIS MEME

IT ISN'T FUNNY

HE IS A HACK
>>
>>64146831
>saved indiana jones from being retarded

literally baka literal lit baka desu senpai li wew lad l
>>
>>64146852
o kotowari shimasu
>>
File: 1447902951993.png (170 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1447902951993.png
170 KB, 540x960
>>64146852
Read that doc of him spitballing Raiders, clearly he's the genius
>>
>>64146849
He's a bizarre, awkward, but earnest hack, which I prefer over soulless, heartless, gutless hacks like Abrams.
>>
>>64146903
>Kasdan

No wonder TFA was filled with so much quippy shit
>>
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2013-03-07/how-disney-bought-lucasfilm-and-its-plans-for-star-wars#p1

>Lucas had paid close attention to how Disney had handled Pixar, which he still refers to as “my company.” He founded it as the Lucasfilm Computer Division in 1979, and sold it to Jobs six years later. He calls Disney’s decision not to meddle with Pixar “brilliant.” If he sold Lucasfilm to Disney, he figured there might still be a way to retain some influence over his fictitious universe. Much would depend on who ran Lucasfilm after he retired.

>He invited Kathleen Kennedy to lunch in New York. She was one of the founders of Amblin Entertainment, which produced a long line of hits including Steven Spielberg’s Jurassic Park and Schindler’s List, and had been Lucas’s close friend for more than two decades. “I suppose you’ve heard that I’m moving forward fairly aggressively to retire,” Lucas told her.

>“Actually, no,” she said.

>Lucas asked if she was interested in taking over Lucasfilm. Kennedy may have been blindsided by the news, but she happily accepted the position. “When Kathy came on, we started talking about starting up the whole franchise again,” he says. “I was pulling away, and I said, ‘Well, I’ve got to build this company up so it functions without me, and we need to do something to make it attractive.’ So I said, ‘Well, let’s just do these movies.’”

>Lucas and Kennedy hired screenwriter Michael Arndt, who won an Oscar for Little Miss Sunshine, to begin work on the script for Episode VII. They enlisted Lawrence Kasdan, who wrote the screenplays for The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, to act as a consultant. Lucas started talking to members of the original Star Wars cast, such as Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford, about appearing in the films. In June 2012, he called Iger.
>>
>>64147761

>In the five months of negotiations that followed, Lucas argued that the best people to make the next Star Wars trilogy would be his longtime Lucasfilm executives. “I had a group of very, very talented people that had worked for the company for many, many years and really knew how to market Star Wars, how to do the licensing and make the movies,” Lucas explains. “I said, ‘I think it would be wise to keep some of this intact. We need a few people to oversee the property, you know, who are just dedicated to doing that, so we’re sure we get this right.’”

>Iger understood Lucas’s concerns. “George said to me once that when he dies, it’s going to say ‘Star Wars creator George Lucas,’” he says. Still, Iger wanted to make sure that Lucas, who was used to controlling every aspect of Star Wars, from set design to lunchboxes, understood that Disney, not Lucasfilm, would have final say over any future movies. “We needed to have an understanding that if we acquire the company, despite tons of collegial conversations and collaboration, at the end of the day, we have to be the ones who sign off on whatever the plans are,” says Alan Horn, chairman of Walt Disney Studios.

>Lucas agreed, in theory. The reality of giving up control weighed on him, though. At the end of every week before she flew home to Los Angeles, Kennedy says, she asked Lucas how he was feeling. Sometimes he seemed at peace. Other times, not. “I’m sure he paused periodically to question whether he was really ready to walk away,” she says.
>>
>>64147761
>>64147795

>At first Lucas wouldn’t even turn over his rough sketches of the next three Star Wars films. When Disney executives asked to see them, he assured them they would be great and said they should just trust him. “Ultimately you have to say, ‘Look, I know what I’m doing. Buying my stories is part of what the deal is.’ I’ve worked at this for 40 years, and I’ve been pretty successful,” Lucas says. “I mean, I could have said, ‘Fine, well, I’ll just sell the company to somebody else.’”

Once Lucas got assurances from Disney in writing about the broad outlines of the deal, he agreed to turn over the treatments—but insisted they could only be read by Iger, Horn, and Kevin Mayer, Disney’s executive vice president for corporate strategy. “We promised,” says Iger. “We had to sign an agreement.”

>When Iger finally got a look at the treatments, he was elated. “We thought from a storytelling perspective they had a lot of potential,” he says.

>At the end of October, Iger arranged for Lucas to fly down to Disney’s Burbank headquarters and sign the papers. He thought Lucas seemed melancholy. “When he put that pen to the piece of paper, I didn’t detect a hesitation,” Iger says. “But I did detect there was a lot of emotion. He was saying goodbye.”

>Iger, on the other hand, was giddy. The day after the deal closed he went trick-or-treating with his family. “I was Darth Vader,” he says.
>>
>>64144891
He could even influence producers to make a shit star wars movie
>>
>>64146903
Fucking Kasdan.
>>
i love george lucas.

how could i meet him irl? does he still live at skywalker ranch?
>>
File: 1450446064368.jpg (55 KB, 600x423) Image search: [Google]
1450446064368.jpg
55 KB, 600x423
>>64147761
>>64147795
>>64147821

http://www.cnet.com/news/george-lucas-says-disney-ditched-his-ideas-for-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

>"Star Wars" creator George Lucas may have relinquished control of his space-faring franchise when he sold the rights to Disney back in 2012, but those wondering how much of the director's influence will find its way into the plot of the upcoming seventh installment may now have an answer -- not much.

>Following comments that he had started to craft some ideas for a new "Star Wars" trilogy before Lucasfilm was acquired, Lucas was asked in an interview with Cinema Blend published Tuesday to divulge some of the ideas he had cooked up for new "Star Wars" material.

>"Well, the ones that I sold to Disney and everything, they came up to the decision that they didn't really want to do those," Lucas told Cinema Blend. "So they made up their own. It's not the ones that I originally wrote."

>There will doubtless be many sci-fi fans claiming relief at the news that Lucas' ideas won't be making it into "Star Wars: The Force Awakens", which is scheduled for release in December. Widespread criticism of the CGI-heavy prequel trilogy that arrived between 1999 and 2005 has seen Lucas' cachet within the geek community drop. This even led to viral hits such as a mocking rework of the first that imagines what the new film could look like with Lucas in the driving seat.

>Are "Star Wars" fans altogether too eager to give Lucas a hard time though? I'd argue that while there's little to redeem the prequel movies, Lucas is the father of the "Star Wars" universe beloved by so, so many. It's his world we're daydreaming in when we spend long, dull meetings imagining epic lightsaber battles, or spicing up a boring commute with some Duel of the Fates. If I was in Disney's position, I would have thought long and hard before casting aside any ideas that poured directly out of Lucas' grey matter.
>>
>>64147905
>>64147821
>>64147795
>>64147761
what an absolute cuck
>>
how did that man keeps his amazing hairline
>>
>>64147905
Fuck JJ

These leftist dicks wouldn't like people making blatantly republican movies, but being the hypocrites they are they see nothing wrong with them shoving their shit down our throats Goebbels-style

His social and politial baggage have no fucking place in the movies, yet they're there in front center stage.
>>
>>64147999
midichlorians
>>
>>64148038

to be fair, Abrams originally didn't want to do it.
>>
>>64147905

>As it turned out, Lucas had already done the cataloging. His company maintained a database called the Holocron, named after a crystal cube powered by the Force. The real-world Holocron lists 17,000 characters in the Star Wars universe inhabiting several thousand planets over a span of more than 20,000 years. It was quite a bit for Disney to process. So Lucas also provided the company with a guide, Pablo Hidalgo. A founding member of the Star Wars Fan Boy Association, Hidalgo is now a “brand communication manager” at Lucasfilm. “The Holocron can be a little overwhelming,” says Hidalgo, who obsesses over canonical matters such as the correct spelling of Wookiee and the definitive list of individuals who met with Yoda while he was hiding in the swamps of Dagobah.

Then Disney canned it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUm0Lo6DL-E&feature=youtu.be
>>
File: george.png (84 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
george.png
84 KB, 400x200
>>64147926

Sam Jackson calls George a cuck (warning: irritating Jewish-American tabloid media)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXaJV3j1QnE

>TMZ guy: 4 billion dollars is a lot of money though,
>SLJ: ...Is it?
>>
>/tv/ so assblasted over star wars made by J J mememaster being good that they'll defend george hideo kojima pottery rhyming lucas and the fucking prequels
>>
>>64146831
Last Crusade was gonna be a haunted house
A haunted house anon
>>
>>64146907
TFA was mcuh better than any of the prequels though. And besides, it's not like Abrams is directing any other star wars movies.
>>
>>64148682
I hope a fucking asteroid hits the TMZ building.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 320x237) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 320x237
>>64146903
Bill Murray would have been a good Indiana jones
>>
>>64146903
Kasdan - once a pleb, always a pleb.
>>
>>64148731
Hi JJ
>>
>>64144891

>"That's a story for another time Jeffery," says Disney to JJ as they toss Lucas's stories into the trashcan while simultaneously handing him the remake of Ep4"
>>
>>64147999
>Height, 5' 6"
If someone has amazing hair, it always means they're a manlet.
>>
File: george_lucucks.jpg (51 KB, 768x433) Image search: [Google]
george_lucucks.jpg
51 KB, 768x433
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/george-lucas-attend-star-wars-845948

>Lucas has expressed some ambivalence about the direction of the new films. In an interview with CBS in November, he said he submitted ideas for the new films but "ultimately, they looked at the stories and they said, 'We want to make something for the fans,'" Lucas said. "People don't actually realize it's actually a soap opera and it's all about family problems — it's not about spaceships. So they decided they didn't want to use those stories, they decided they were going to do their own thing so I decided, 'fine. ... I'll go my way and I let them go their way.'"

>He told the Washington Post earlier this week that he hadn't seen the film and was better off having not been involved. “There is no such thing as working over someone’s shoulder,” he said. “You’re either the dictator or you’re not. And to do that would never work, so I said ‘I’m going to get divorced.’ ... I knew that I couldn’t be involved. All I’d do is make them miserable. I’d make myself miserable. It would probably ruin a vision — J.J. [Abrams] has a vision, and it’s his vision.”

http://www.vulture.com/2015/12/george-lucas-delivers-a-verdict-on-force-awakens.html#

>“I think the fans are going to love it,” he said. “It’s very much the kind of movie they’ve been looking for.”

>In a recent Washington Post profile, Lucas characterized his decision to sell Lucasfilm to Disney and cede control of the Star Wars franchise as the equivalent of a divorce. “I gotta go to the wedding,” he said. “My ex will be there, my new wife will be there, but I’m going to have to take a very deep breath and be a good person and sit through it and just enjoy the moment, because it is what it is and it’s a conscious decision that I made.”

It's like they murdered his jovial spirit
>>
File: shadows of the empire.jpg (239 KB, 800x1319) Image search: [Google]
shadows of the empire.jpg
239 KB, 800x1319
http://news.yahoo.com/star-wars-force-awakens-originally-203002426.html

>Thanks to Disney's marketing machine, we'll never again hear the phrase "The Force Awakens" without thinking of Star Wars: Episode VII. But the movie could have had a different title. In fact, according to LucasFilm Creative Executive (and resident Star Wars geek) Pablo Hidalgo, the film given the more menacing title of Shadow of the Empire for "a while."

>If you're a Star Wars devotee, you might recognize the title — and that's because it's nearly the same as a 1996 story that took place between The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. The story, called Shadows of the Empire, was spread across comics and a video game, but it was primarily in a novel written by Steve Perry.

>"It was Shadow (singular) of the Empire for a while."
>"For longest time, the TFA title was the same as an old novel. Thankfully it changed. :) With so many books, it's inevitable"
>>
>>64147821
>When Iger finally got a look at the treatments, he was elated. “We thought from a storytelling perspective they had a lot of potential,” he says
Translation: "It's shit, but I'm not going to say a thing so that we can buy what's left of his cum stain excuse of a company"
>>
friendly reminder lucas thought this was a good idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yxuDU8gims
>>
In a recent interview Mel Brooks basically confirmed that Lucas will have a cameo in the new SpaceBalls film

I am moderately hyped
>>
File: lucas laughing.jpg (13 KB, 245x357) Image search: [Google]
lucas laughing.jpg
13 KB, 245x357
>>64149234
>that howling
>>
>>64149234
>>64149234

second one is pretty spooky tb.h famm
>>
>>64149234
lol
>>
File: 44566546547.png (489 KB, 536x809) Image search: [Google]
44566546547.png
489 KB, 536x809
>>64149234
how could this shit fly?

what the fuck
>>
>>64149234
Lucas made the fans hate the prequels, so he went back and made them hate the OT as well.

It's pottery.
>>
>>64148980
>It's like they murdered his jovial spirit

by doing what? making creative decisions about the property he sold them?

are you retarded?
>>
>>64147905
Is that image quote real?

Funny jj diesnt see himself as white tho he is pale as fuck.

It still blows my mind how much jews hate white people.
>>
Reminder that it was Lucas who de-canonised the EU, not disney.
>>
>>64146849
Yeah sure, he was incredibly lucky twice.
>>
>>64147905
This is the biggest problem I had with casting Boyega. I thought he was good in the movie; a good casting choice, but it sucks that fucking Abrams basically made him look like an affirmative action employee. I don't think Boyega will ever admit how it really felt to be cast as a means to meet some bullshit progressive quota and not on his own acting merit.
>>
File: 9d5.jpg (76 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
9d5.jpg
76 KB, 480x360
>>64151303
If you think of that it's more racism.
>>
>>64148515
>Then Disney canned it all:
I didn't read any eu novels, I didn't like the prequels, but that just makes me sick to my stomach.

Can't care about a setting when they just disregard it like that, now anything can be disregarded and nothing in universe matters.

Just so they could make a 7/10 movie.
>>
>>64148762
>instead of being something original, it was a rehash of RotLA.
>good
>>
>>64148980
>“I think the fans are going to love it,” he said. “It’s very much the kind of movie they’ve been looking for.”

STAR WARS FANS BTFO
>>
>>64148515
Disney doesn't give a shit about world building or anything lore breaking like luke's (anakins) light saber

they make these type of films, one you can just pickup and shut off your brain
>>
>>64147821
>When Disney executives asked to see them, he assured them they would be great

Heh.
>>
>>64149156
hello JJ
what exactly did your TFA achieve again?
>>
regular "I'm sorry george" threads when?
>>
File: dkjas.png (121 KB, 611x472) Image search: [Google]
dkjas.png
121 KB, 611x472
:(
>>
File: image.jpg (200 KB, 2048x774) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
200 KB, 2048x774
>cuck
>>
>>64153191
>low key
>shade
Smh desu senpai
>>
>>64147999
smaller than average forehead
>>
>>64147999
It's so dense
>>
>>64151986
>Can't care about a setting when they just disregard it like that, now anything can be disregarded and nothing in universe matters.

THANK YOU, ANON

I'm glad somebody finally can stop just being "lel, not canon, deal with it faggot" for one second to realize the problem in Disney so carelessly kicking away the EU with no regard for consistency
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.