[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was the point of this scene and why wasn't it cut to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10
File: Rathtar.png (2 MB, 987x769) Image search: [Google]
Rathtar.png
2 MB, 987x769
What was the point of this scene and why wasn't it cut to allow for better pacing by either judt removing 15 minutes from the run time or reinserting what feels like deleted scenes that would have given greater character development and broken up th frenetic pace?
>>
>let's not put in some explanation of the First Order or new Republic or Resistance
>it's another "Han gets away from creditors by the skin of his teeth" scene, how kooky
>>
WE WANT THE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY AUDIENCE
>>
>>64140201
The same reason JJ threw in the pointless "Scotty stuck in the water tubes" scene in Star Trek. We need constant action or the audience might start getting bored and playing with their phones.
>>
This really does seem like a scene that should have been heavily truncated or removed entirely. There had to be a better way to introduce Han and Chewie.
>>
They needed more wacky Han + Chewie antics and to give Finn and Rey more screen time together so their friendship seemed slightly less hamfisted than it already was.

Also to give Han/Chewie a subplot with another mobster for their inevitable death at the beginning of episode 9.
>>
It felt really out of place and completely unnecessary.

JJ feels the need to shoehorn in action for the purpose of "keeping the audience engaged", which results in a poorly paced film.

His movies aren't boring, just hard to connect with on anything more than a surface level.
>>
The scene is meant to show Han still up to his shady business deals, but implies the end of his luck. The guy even says there's no one left in the galaxy to double cross
>>
I wanted it cut as soon as I saw it. And I felt the raid dudes were a bit too intrustive. it's like oh hey we jelled our hair and we're bad guys now.
>>
Because it was fun.
>>
>>64140282

Ah, so all of Han's character progression from movies 4-6 is lost.

Perfect, thanks JJ.
>>
Saw it today with 4 people

They all said the pace was for adhd children

Which in contrast with the overly dramatic, overly long pauses everywhere, detracted significantly from the movie
>>
Does anyone understand how huge it is Rey influenced someone without gesticulation or even direct eye contact? The scene was played for laughs but do people not realize the sort of monster this girl is?
>>
>>64140279
They're "cheap"

And it's not just the pacing
>>
>>64140201
bad writing
>>
File: 1450687686103.jpg (17 KB, 541x559) Image search: [Google]
1450687686103.jpg
17 KB, 541x559
>>64140201
>Remove le ebin freighter monster scene
>Have 5 minute funeral for Solo before Rey takes off to confront Luke
>Have 10 minutes of interlaced footage of Lando in the New Republic, showing how corrupt it is. Doesn't have to be Senate scenes, just Lando being exposed to corrupt politicians who willingly turn their backs on the First Order constructing the Starkiller Base, so when we see the Republic destroyed, we actually have some kind of attachment to those who die
>End the fight between Rey and Kylo the exact same way, except they are both still able bodied and uninjured when the ground splits apart, separating them

This would have literally fixed every problem with the movie.
>>
I don't understand why there wasn't a massive space ship battle at the end. It was so anti climactic.
>>
>>64140312
Actually he's regressed. In Episode 4 he lost a shipment because of a patrol not because he just stole it and he's looking to earn money to pay Jabba back. In Episode 5 he plans on going to him to pay him back.

But in Episode 7 he's just straight up ripping people off and stealing from them for...some reason.
>>
>>64140261
I agree. This scene was a waste of screen time.
>>
>>64140377
JJ Abrams hates space battles. See New Star Trek 1 and 2 where he had a supership win in 5 seconds instead of a battle.
>>
>>64140378

I fucking hate how they managed to introduce entirely unlikeable new characters while shitting all over the character arcs of our old favorites
>>
I was fine with the scene, but the monsters looked dumb.
>>
>>64140312
Because having a shitty kid has never ruined someones marriage and sent them back to their old vices. So if someone falls back into their alcoholism do you say all their character progression was wasted and ask for a better writer? Shit sucks, and it does become a waste, but shit happens.
>>
My only problem with it was that the creatures were too heavily CGI'd in a movie with otherwise really well done creature fx. I didn't mind seeing the shady space criminals, I think the creatures just needed to be done better.
>>
>>64140300
I think a ton of this shit was ham fisted to talk about it later

Theyve got to bring those faggots back or it would be weird

Phasma is the same

They introduced that alien guy on the cool alien rhino like he was going to be a big deal, he ended up ham fisted

Some other stuff I can't remember
>>
>>64140412

I don't give a fuck what your justification is, you took a giant motherfucking shit all over one of my favorite characters then killed him off for your edgelord faggot to proceed dicktits

>let's make it grimdark and action-packed

How about no
>>
>>64140201
desu those things are Lovecraft nightmare fuel.
>>
>>64140361
Jj really fucked up something

Like I don't know if people were supposed to laugh at kylos autism fits or not but it was played off like it was funny

It would have been better if he was seen as unstable and dangerous instead of a le funny edge lord
>>
>>64140231
>hero of the republic
>helps defeat the empire
>running awau from debts

Do we get to see how Han JUST his life up?

Seems near impossible to fuck it up after helping destroy 2 death stars.

Like, does star wars not have a public speaking circuit?
>>
>>64140375
It would have fixed some glaring problems, but there was a lot more than that

>just close your eyes and believe
>>
File: tumblr_kq979vR0Hz1qzma4ho1_400.jpg (10 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_kq979vR0Hz1qzma4ho1_400.jpg
10 KB, 250x250
>>64140306

It wasn't fun, it felt shoehorned and uneccesary
>>
Literally Marlboro monsters from Final Fantasy
>>
>>64140377
>>64140377
>>64140377

The OT and PT mirror in many aspects. I and IV single pilot saves the day, no major ship-to-ship battle. II and V protagonist loses a hand and gets spanked in a saber duel, III and VI major ship battle, etc.

So, the new trilogy may be keeping the same formula in that aspect.
>>
>>64140418
correct me if this was in the other movies, but the aliens, creatures, and some other shit seemed forced in your face.

Like "hey look at this thing isn't it neato?" Showcases for a ton of shit
>>
>>64140449
i don't think you know what ham fisted means
>>
>>64140509
Noticeable cgi and they look familiar and generic

They remind me of the floating watchers from wow
>>
>>64140275
anon... i have bad news
>>
>>64140665
>muh status effects
>>
>>64140509
>le lovecraft le tenty-monstre XD may-may

fuggov
>>
>>64140638
The monster part of it did. Not the smuggler stuff.

I was honestly hoping it would have gone a bit more with some cool Ray does shit with the doors and causes a sorta maze run situation where Han and Chewie navigated the ship for a minute or two dodging gun fire as she fiddles with the doors.

Instead it was "OOH LOOK MONSTERS"

Then again I took some asspirin with me and my butt pain was unnoticable for this scene
>>
>>64140704
>single pilot saves the day
That's pretty generic of a description

Lucas wanted to mirror without directly copying

Like the thing anakin killed wasn't a superweapon and he didn't do it on purpose. He also didn't have direct help like luke and essentially lucked into it

I could care less if the same actions happen if the plot is different anyway. The 3rd deathstar was more annoying than the trench run, which was more annoying than a pilot saving the day
>>
I really disliked the entire "oh a giant ship is swallowing the falcon" routine only for it to be Han literally seconds later.

Generally you're suppose to build up tension, not just dissipate it seconds later.

A more interesting way to handle the entire thing is for Rey to somehow get the coordinates to Maz's place and when she arrives there she bumps into Han.

Also Maz herself could be cut completely.

Instead of her place Rey could've just went to some shady location like Nar Shaddaa so it's more starwarsy rather than an old castle on a lake. the entire location is totally forgetable anyway
>>
>>64140735
It means sloppy

And I meant it as forced in in a clumsy fashion
>>
>>64140375
>Starkiller Base isn't destroyed, only the primary firing unit
>Crust splits and mantle becomes unstable, turning the planet into a hellish Mustafarian world

Ebin evil imagery for the empire for added poetry, Death Star 3 doesn't feel like as much of a cop out.
>>
JJ had to leave his mark and remind everyone just who exactly is yanking the wheel left and right erratically

his Star Trek movies are literally full to the brim with similar scenes that introduce throwaway paper cartoon characters and then shake them around in a jar with a bunch of pyrotechnics and over-engineered audio
>>
>>64140453
Fuck off, if Harrison Ford had his way your favorite character would have been dead by V.
>>
>>64140994

>planet absorbs the sun
>planet collapses and sun is reborn
>SUN IS NOW THE SAME SIZE AS THE FUCKING PLANET
>>
lawl
>>
what bothered me most about the entire movie is that Jakku is a 100% copy of Tatooine.

They could've at least did some space opera thing and made the sand blue or red or something.
>>
>>64141045
the sand could've been rainbow colored and people still would complain it was a copy of tatooine
>>
>goes down the halls scooping up and immediately eating anyone it can grab within seconds
>grabs Finn
>carries him away somewhere instead of eating him

I don't understand
>>
>>64141096

well at the very least it would be superficially different

as it is it's exactly the same as tatooine
>>
>>64141026
or don't assume that the star is 100% efficiently losslessly absorbed or go fuck yourself for actually applying your wikipedia pseudo science to a space fantasy adventure drama
>>
>>64141123
is it the same because it's a desert planet? was tatooine the first desert planet in a sci-fi film or something?
>>
>>64141025

Exactly. Should have died in Empire to be replaced by Lando.
>>
File: starwarstech-01.jpg (243 KB, 800x484) Image search: [Google]
starwarstech-01.jpg
243 KB, 800x484
>>64141026

If you thought that was retarded enough having a sun the size of a planet. I got to show you this.
>>
File: 1403623275549.jpg (115 KB, 388x388) Image search: [Google]
1403623275549.jpg
115 KB, 388x388
>>64140399
>>64140378
Han seemed real beat up over Kylo turning to the darkside. Im pretty sure he said he coped by doing what he knew best, since he failed being a father.
>>
>>64141138
THERE IS A REASON WHY JUPITER ISN'T A STAR.
>>
>>64141102
This

Though
>>64141045

There's no way he could have gotten away with setting it on Tatooine again with all the other gdamn coincidences we already had to swallow throughout the film.
>>
Rey isn't a Mary Sue because she made a mistake - opening the wrong door
>>
>>64141393
Oh god, that's why they made that weird scene with her admiting she made a mistake, so they could point to it and deny that she is a marysue. Fucking JJAbe.
>>
>cast the actors from The Raid
>they show up for 3 minutes then die

>tentacle monsters devour everyone instantly
>grab Finn and drag him around for some reason

>Finn sickened by the slaughtering of the villagers
>does typical movie nigra "WOO" when killing his former comrades
>>
>>64142051
it was supposed to be finn
they didnt want it to seem like he fucked himself
>>
>>64140519
J(ar) J(ar) fucked up a lot of things
>>
>>64140778

I meant the death of the mobsters, ala Jabba in ROTJ.
>>
>>64140231
hux's speech and whining to snoke anon, it's explained twice
>>
>>64140375
>ruining the movie
no thanks
>>
>>64140201

GOTTA HAVE SOMETHING HAPPENENIGN!

CAN'T HAVE ANYTHING BORING OR SLOW HAPPEN!

ADRANALINE!

Fucking hell, imagine how intresting it would of been if JJ actually used his fucking head for once and decided "Hey how about instead of adrenaline pumping we make the fin and poe escape more these and they actually try to stealth-fully fly away.
>>
File: 1374353182426.jpg (49 KB, 650x393) Image search: [Google]
1374353182426.jpg
49 KB, 650x393
>hear about Rei meeting Luke in spoilers
>imagine luke sitting on some badass throne in the middle of a huge ancient jedi temple
>he's just standing on some grass out in the open

lame
>>
File: Pissing me off.png (210 KB, 606x417) Image search: [Google]
Pissing me off.png
210 KB, 606x417
>>64141045

ACTUALLY THATS NOT TRUE!

TATTOINE HAD SAND AND ROCKS LIKE A CANYON!

JAKKU IS LITERALLY FULL BLOWN SAND LIKE AN EGYPT DESERT
>>
As someone who watches many Japanese cartoons and live action films with tentacles in it... I was sorely disappointed.
>>
what i don't understand is how the falcon was almost immediately swept up by han's ship in orbit around jakku and how the imperial remnant didn't detect his bitch ass
>>
>>64141163
no, but when you're making a new star wars movie you might want to think twice about a generic desert planet
>>
>>64143000
the.. the Force?
>>
>>64143000
The Star Destroyer was still over Jakku. Why didn't they detect the Falcon?
>>
It was the TFA equivalent of the trash compactor scene
>>
>>64143134
even better i guess
>>
>>64141045
this is really the main problem with the movie.
They try and recreate the magic, but they can't do this because they're incapable of coming up with anything original.

This movie feels like fanfiction.
>>
>>64141045

This

In fact I thought it was tatooine until I read online it's not
>>
>>64140232
WHO??? xD
>>
>>64141045
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC2Q6ANLXQ0
even the moon they're on in this cartoon would be cooler than jakku.
you got:
>pink slime oceans
>sea monster dinosaurs
>cool looking city that would look new to the series but still very much like star wars
>would actually be a cool reference, not like "throw her in le trash compactor"
>>
>>64140201
Just Gaurdiens of the Galaxy my shit up senpai
>>
>>64140232
>>64144283
There's nothing more classicly Star Wars than a monster scene, and GotG has nothing like it. Proof that most whiners are faggot memesters from reddit.
>>
The scene shouldn't have been in the film for multiple reasons. I also didn't like how the monsters ripped those guys to shreds and then carried Finn around.
>>
>>64140375
>>Have 10 minutes of interlaced footage of Lando in the New Republic, showing how corrupt it is. Doesn't have to be Senate scenes, just Lando being exposed to corrupt politicians who willingly turn their backs on the First Order constructing the Starkille

unnecessary

>>End the fight between Rey and Kylo the exact same way, except they are both still able bodied and uninjured when the ground splits apart, separating them

while I do agree that rey powerup is lame, Kylo is being given the protagonsit treatment. So the humiliation has to serve as the motivation for his training in the next. So I'm conflicted about this
>>
>>64141280
good job JJ, fucking up scale once again.
>>
>Introduces tentacle monsters for no reason
>they don't even try and breed Rey and fill her with hot alien seed

what are these idiots even doing
>>
File: 1439033660902.jpg (117 KB, 435x750) Image search: [Google]
1439033660902.jpg
117 KB, 435x750
>>64146082
kek
>>
>>64140201
why didn't you like han solo harboring pirates of the carribbean monsters?
>>
>>64141272
based anon and harrison
>>
>>64140201
>What was the point of this scene
Adventure? I mean, Star Wars is an adventure film in space.
>>
>>64145310
>unnecessary
The point that nobody gives a shit about it is glaring.

The amount of people I heard say corouscant? man....
>>
>>64140519
You're all missing the point. Kylo is a double agent, Han knew he needed to kill him and Kylo even asked for his permission.

Rey is something beyond any of the Skywalkers and only Kylo knows it.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (311 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
311 KB, 1024x768
>>64140418
Why can't Star Wars do cool new monster aliens anymore? The last decent one was this guy and it was ruined by having to come out with 2 of the worst eyesores ever created
>>
>>64140526

the knights of ren going bad probably fucked up/shook up the rebellion pretty bad

maybe ben isn't the only reason

what if general solo suffered a major defeat commanding rebels..
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.