[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was this the best film of 1999? Possibly its generation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: Fight Club.jpg (8 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
Fight Club.jpg
8 KB, 300x168
Was this the best film of 1999? Possibly its generation?
>>
Stop breaking the first rule of Fight Club.
>>
>>64138139
If you're 16
>>
>>64138483
Name a movie more original and daring than Fight club for its time.
>>
Sure if only behind Eyes Wide Shut or Magnolia
>>
>>64138505
See >>64138548
>>
>>64138505
Wild Wild West
>>
>>64138548
Fuck, nevermind. I forgot about Eyes Wide Shut. That was the best and most daring movie of 1999.

Oh, and Magnolia was pretentious shit. Only good scene was Cruise's scene.
>>
>>64138505
Define original. Define daring.

By using ambiguous and subjective terms, no matter what anyone says, you can always go "nah, not original enough", "nah, not daring enough".

You've obviously already made up your mind and not really interested in a dialog, so this thread is shit anyway, but I just wanted to tell you this way is not the way.
>>
File: image.jpg (248 KB, 1277x853) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
248 KB, 1277x853
>>64138139
>>64138505
The Matrix
>>
>>64138139

Nah Matrix in 1999 set the tone for movies for the following 10 years like it or not.
>>
If youre 16 years old sure you might like fight cluv b
>>
>>64138548
The Matrix
>>
>>64138681
Fight Club is original in that there were no good guys or bad guys. Just guys and their fucked up psychosis. None of them were sympathetic, yet none of them were detestable. And they were the same person. Great twist. Much better twist than The Sixth Sense

Okay, maybe it wasn't that daring. I forgot about Eyes Wide Shut. But it was so enjoyable to watch back then and now. Doesn't feel dated. Pitt should have won the Oscar for it.
>>
Why was 1999 one of the best years for movies of all time? It's very bizarre.
>>
>>64138705
>>64138715
>The Matrix
>Original

HAHAHAHA
>>
I hate how fight club has become synonymous with being edgy/reddit/whatever nonsense buzzwords you use know.

You don't have to agree with it's message, it's great movie on it's own.
>>
>>64139084
Explain?
>>
>>64139084
I don't like the movie that much but how can you say it's not original? Unless you're using a very broad definition in which case no form of media is original.
>>
>Matrix
>Being John Malkovich
>Eyes wide shut
>Iron Giant
>Blair Witch
>Austin Powers
>Sixth Sense
>Toy Story 2

Holy shit. 99' was a great year in film.
>>
>>64139166
>>64139221
I'm not him, The Matrix is 60% Mamoru Oshii and 25% John Woo.

Oshii made:
>Ghost in the Shell
Science-fiction movie filled with lots of philosophical ramblings on the nature of man, machine and reality. The action is also very stylish and traces of that are in The Matrix too.

>Patlabor
Future cop tv show and movies about cops operating big robot suits. Aside from the machine designs and such this has more of Oshii's ponderous monologues that The Matrix emulates, particularly in its sequels. The later Matrix stuff feels like a lost Oshii movie.

>The Red Spectacles
Pretty much every non-action scene within the matrix part of The Matrix owes its look and tone to this movie. The city stuff in particular. It's about a cop from a disbanded unit returning home after fleeing from arrest. Black & White, very stylish, sort of slow-burning with surreal elements too. Things like the subway station feel particularly Red Spectacles.

And the John Woo stuff should be obvious, slow-motion and diving around with guns is all his movies are ever about. One of the Matrix video games even uses a scene from one of his movies as a tutorial.
>>
>>64139367

That is waaaaaay too much reaching.

You can see influences for sure but by that logic you could make the case for anything not being original.
>>
>>64138681
OP BTFO
B
T
F
O
>>
>>64139485
Most things aren't original. And have you seen the movies? They're very similar in tone and execution. Plot details aren't what's important.

I think that the reason the Wachowski's haven't found major success after The Matrix is probably because they've struggled to find their own style or direction to go in and what blew everyone's minds in The Matrix was the stuff that they got from Oshii and Woo.
>>
>>64139635
Heh, more along the lines of they are struggling to make anything of the caliber The Matrix was.

Do you think any normalfag know anything about what you have autist raged about? Do you even fucking think if you mentioned the directors names they would know what movies they had made?

90% of this generation have seen The Matrix though.

Something something great poets steal something something.
>>
File: 1447577285417.png (467 KB, 529x462) Image search: [Google]
1447577285417.png
467 KB, 529x462
>>64139723
>heh
>>
>>64139800
>being a memeposter
Heh.
>>
GREAT year for movies
1 the virgin suicides
2 being john malkovich
3 magnolia
4 fight club
5 election
6 go
7 the iron giant
8 audition
9 office space
10 ghost dog
11 eyes wide shut
12 toy story 2
13 ravenous

I made the list a while ago, Ravenous should probably be higher.
>>
tips fedora
>>
>>64140960
But why?
>>
>>64138604
This. Decades from now, people will finally be intelligent enough to understand the brilliance of WWW. It will be another cultural staple that transcends the time period in which it was made and achieves artistic immortality.
>>
>>64138139

I look back on how much I liked this film and cringe.
>>
>>64138505

...it's based on a book, so literally any movie with an original screenplay/ story would be more original.
>>
>>64139856

>the virgin suicides
>>
>>64138139
I didn't really like it
It was good cinemographically but there was no point besides some deep quotes and edward norton annoys me
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.