[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Star Wars trigger consumerism so heavily
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: vadermall.jpg (173 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
vadermall.jpg
173 KB, 600x800
The people I know who go craziest about Star Wars are the same who go crazy about any new technology that they absolutely must go out and buy as soon as it's released.

They're a certain breed of consumer, early adopters I think they're called.

What aspect of Star Wars triggers their desire to spend?

It's exactly the same as when Apple used to release products and these same people would go apeshit and camp outside and go crazy for a new phone that was the same as the old phone but slightly different looking (see the comaprison of TFA to ANH)
>>
>>64127599
Lucas was trying to fill the gap of mythology in our modern world, and make something for kids that would inspire them to be "hero's" like Arjuna was to Ancient Indians, or Hercules to Ancient Greeks.

Just like anything remotely spiritual, Christmas for example, it can be used to suck cash out of peoples emotional longings.
>>
>>64127714
That sounds about right.

What do you think about the comaprison with Apple fanboyism? What is that tapping into? Was Steve Jobs some quasi diety figure? The falling sales since his death might show that.
>>
>>64128290
Collectivism

Everyone feels better when they're apart of a group, especially when they have a group to rival and laugh at, in this case it's Android users.
>>
They're usually leftists too. Ironic that my friends who bitch most about capitalism are the biggest consumer whores, but it's ok because 'Lel I'm such a nerd XD!!"
>>
>>64127714
>>64129399
hello reddit, enlightened posted you have here
>>
>>64129525
>It's reddit when Lucas said the same thing about why he wrote SW

Hello neo-reddit, you can't hide your face
>>
>>64128290
>>64129399
>>64129495
>>64127599

it's simple

low IQ
>>
All the nerd shit triggers consumerism. That's why it's incrediblly lucrative to turn everyone into "le nerds xD"
>>
>>64129727
Low IQ people have low paying jobs.

They're not the targets of advertising.
>>
>>64129792

Explain the Super Bowl.
>>
>>64129792
Man you don't need a lot of savings to buy movie tickets and toys.

These aren't luxury goods.
>>
>>64129890
It's for the middle class and pseudo-middle class (welfare babies).
>>
>>64129764
You mean the "nerd" shit.
>>
File: 400.gif (2 MB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
400.gif
2 MB, 300x200
>>
>>64130616
wrong thread bud?
>>
>>64129994
Well yeah, but you get my point.
>>
It's not even a coincidence that the new Stormtrooper design is consciously made to look "like Apple."
>>
>>64131549
I do, but the original nerd shit is basically anarchocommunism, a -punk subculture, a revolt of the underdogs. That it's been coopted to such an extent is the greatest cultural tragedy since Hitler lost the war.
>>
>>64127599
Well its a nice story and absolutely great for merch, all the different vehicles and gadgets, let alone the characters themselves, and with all these factors they make nice toys for people to recreate scenes or make their own.
Of course theres also the masses of people who have seen the success of old star wars figures selling for shit loads, and want to try to make some cash themselves, by waiting a few years and selling off rare figures (which, of course, wont work if everyone does it)
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.