[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
thoughts on this film? more generally on John Boorman's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5
File: Hope_and_Glory_poster.jpg (28 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
Hope_and_Glory_poster.jpg
28 KB, 333x500
thoughts on this film? more generally on John Boorman's films? I quite liked this, though i preferred excalibur
>>
File: 62606-excalibur-1.jpg (671 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
62606-excalibur-1.jpg
671 KB, 1280x720
did I make a mistake in posting this in the television and film board? gonna bump
>>
File: E2.jpg (141 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
E2.jpg
141 KB, 1600x900
tfw no guinevere gf? anyone? boorman?
>>
File: hope-and-glory-main-review.jpg (1 MB, 1330x748) Image search: [Google]
hope-and-glory-main-review.jpg
1 MB, 1330x748
no?

fuck /tv/ and fuck star wars desu family
>>
>>64122901
yeh boorman was great up to the 80's.
deliverance, point blank. zardoz and hell in the pacific are my favs.

hope and glory was a bit hit and miss for me. the story was ok, but it lacked the usual visual flair and great editing, i associate with boormans style.
excalibur is a bit too campy for my taste.
the last boorman film i really like is the emerald forest.
>>
I watched Zardoz and Excalibur back to back yesterday after watching some plebs trashing Zardoz on youtube. I remember watching and taping Zardoz on Moviedrome back in the day and rating it highly among the canon of 70's sci-fi and wanted to justify my opinion of it. I still rate it, great film. Excalibur was of course fucking amazing, it's a masterpiece.

Really need to re-watch Hope and Glory, thanks for the heads up OP. Boorman is very much like Ken Russel IMHO, he veers between pretention and brilliance.
>>
>>64123174

i understand why somebody would call it "camp"" but how much is too campy? like there are films that fit the description but I wouldnt consider it to take over the whole feel of the film. I thought it was very well done, and I loved the set design for it, simply fantastic, also it was nice to see an arthurian film that focused on the conception and development of arthur vs his demise (like pic related)
>>
>>64123434

Not the guy you are replying to, but the cinematography on that film makes it something very special, it's a masterclass in the use of lenses and filters.

I'm not sure if the style of the film makes it campy, but it's a film about legends and I think the style fits that perfectly.
>>
>>64123434
i feel like its slightly over the top, compared to the literature and maybe how i ''imagine'' those myths to be. maybe too campy is a bit extreme, so ill say it could have been more subtle.
with that said, tho, i completly agree with your post.
>>
>>64123689
agree with this too.
>>
>>64123866

The thing I noticed about the film re-watching it yesterday was that they didn't reference Britain or Briton, he who pulled the sword from the stone would simply be king. The only reference to place was Cornwall and that was only one that I recognised.
>>
>>64123689
wish cinematographers would start a renaissance into this style of photography again.

deliverance is essentially set in a montone enviroment, yet it's style of photography elevates it.

hell in the pacific is the same.
>>
alright nerds im gonna download some boorman films,

im guessing excalibur is a must, what else should i download?
>>
>>64124282

Pretty much all the films mentioned in this thread are well worth watching, Deliverance and Excalibur are a must see though.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.