[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we just admit that this was a fun movie with enjoyable characters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4
File: swimaxpost-156214 (1).jpg (152 KB, 655x380) Image search: [Google]
swimaxpost-156214 (1).jpg
152 KB, 655x380
Can we just admit that this was a fun movie with enjoyable characters and move on? Do we really need to keep up this contrarian facade and pretend that the prequels were somehow more radical or original? Can we give JJ the credit he deserves?
>>
>>64122882
what the hell do you expect? It's fuckin /tv/, the contrarian nitpicking neckbeard squad of the internet. If Empire Strikes Back came out today /tv/ would shit on it, 20 threads how fucking stupid that jump from Luke was after Vader tells him he is his dad and he jumps into that one hole

But I keep coming back
>>
>>64122882
Why wasn't this used? It's so much better than official poster
>>
>>64122882
>Can we give JJ the credit he deserves?
kylo ren was cool,finn was a nice twist,i like poe but i want to see his flaw(cockyness?),i like seeing the old cast back,i like that they used practical effect even tho some are ehh and the first jedi temple temple might be legit.Rey,Phasma and Snoke are ehh shes kind of a thing i didnt enjoy about this rehash they just want you to wait for the sequels i wonder how pissed were at empire or what people thought of Kenobi death at the time.also the Soundtrack was lazy.

its an overrated to the roof fun ride that chose the laziest road for a fresh start.i felt the space opera but barely.
>>
>>64122882
No. Stop having fun.
>>
TFA was a better movie.

Prequels were better star wars movies.
>>
>>64122882
The movie is literally a remake of episode IV, but with a bigger death star and a very temperamental wannabe sith. I think the last part WAS intended.
>>
>>64122882
your social engineering is weak.
>>
>>64122882
i was expecting something original not this glib facsimile tbqh senpai,

you know i enjoy his cloverfield movie love the ending that was p cool
>>
Finn makes no sense as a character. Just because he brought the "lulz" does not mean he was believable or good.
>>
>>64122882
>Can we just admit
No.
>>
>>64124369
>The movie is literally a remake of episode IV
So is Episode 1
>>
>>64124364
Yes, and no. TFA is a safe film, but it has the shelf-life of delivery pizza. It's fun and inoffensive, but you'll throw it away in a couple days and forget it ever existed, but the smell will linger.

Now with the prequels you're absolutely right. They weren't perfect, but they were perfect Star Wars films. They pissed people off and challenged their notions of who Anakin was and how the Empire was created. It was a bold vision, that wasn't always perfectly executed, but infinitely more interesting than JJ Wars.
>>
>>64124546
Yeah, because there were rebels vs storm troopers and giant death star wannabe planets present in that. TPM has elements of ANH sprinkled in, but TFA is a glib facsimile all the way.
>>
>>64124587
Anakin's arc is the exact same as Luke's was in A New Hope, down to him destroying the enemy base and receiving an award at the end. At least Rey was a new character and her relationship to the plot changed.
>>
Just turn off your brain, bro :)
>>
>>64122882
It's mainly hated by autisitic prequelshits
Their opion don't matter by default
>>
I enjoyed the movie but I struggled to get into it due to too many jarring similarities with ANH and JJ Trek
>>
File: 1446683532875.jpg (313 KB, 1359x1544) Image search: [Google]
1446683532875.jpg
313 KB, 1359x1544
>>64123007
Thank you based James Bond
>>
"muh plot" babbies are so obnoxious. Plot is usually regarded as the most pleb aspect of any story, to the point where most classic books spoil them in their intro. Characters, technique, and themes are all that matter.
>>
>>64122882
i loved it. i dont even give a shit that it was a rehash of new hope. i thought it was great
>>
>>64122882
>this was a fun movie

but thats wrong. it was literally by the numbers and had no emotional depth at all.
>>
>>64124730
But TFA is nearly beat for beat the same story. TPM has similarities and shares certain plot points, but TFA is literally the same film as ANH.
>>
>>64124963
I'm sure you own all of the Marvel movies as well.
>>
It's not as bad as /tv/ says but it's also nowhere near the 94% it has on rt

it's just a basic MCU-style movie using Star Wars assets
>>
File: lol.webm (1015 KB, 396x800) Image search: [Google]
lol.webm
1015 KB, 396x800
they should have just called this movie The Manchildren Awaken. this board is evidence enough.
>>
>>64125044
TFA had plenty of differences, like the fact that the primary narrative wasn't the destruction of the base, but finding Luke Skywalker. Or the fact that none of the villains die. TPM was literally just a boy on Tatooine being taken to train as a Jedi before blowing up the big enemy structure and getting an award for it.
>>
>>64125090
In a world where mediocre films like Mad Max get 98%, and downright terrible films like the Avengers get 92%, a 94% for this seems about right.
>>
>>64125077
the last marvel movie i saw was iron mane, thought it was ok. im 100% sure the same cannot be said for you
>>
>/tv/
>agreeing with general oppinion
>>
>>64124587
G L I B F A X
L
I
B

F
A
X
>>
>>64125153
Luke was a McGuffin. The climax had nothing to do with 'muh search for Luke'.

Fuck off, JJ.
>>
>>64122882
No. And you have the stink of Disney's payroll on your post.
>>
>>64124799
I hate the prequels and TFA.
>>
>>64125459
The climax wasn't the destruction of Starkiller base, it was the confrontation between Kylo Ren and Rey
>>
>>64125558
When did I say the climax was the destruction of the Death Star 3. And regardless, the whole movie plays like a greatest hits of the original films. Anyone who endorses this film can never complain about the Lucas "It's like poetry" meme ever again. EVER AGAIN!
>>
>>64122882
I have just two words for you OP: Glib facsimile.
>>
>>64124364

Prequels were not Star Wars movies. They were nothing like OT.

Disney will silently retcon them out of existence. Then remake them.
>>
>>64124907

The characters are a lazy rehash of ANH. There is no outstanding techniques and themes are non existent. The plot is the best chance it had of being memorable and it failed.
>>
>>64125825
>The characters are a lazy rehash of ANH
That's bullshit though. The film's biggest strength is that the character's had no direct OT counterparts. Kylo Ren isn't Vader, Finn isn't Han, Rey isn't Luke.
>>
>>64122882
The movie was the complete opposite of episode 1.
It was more like they looked at what made episode 1 suck which was way too much happening too fast but rather than slow down they just sorta made nothing happen for half the fun but flying from place to place.
That whole part with the loan sharks was fucking terrible.
>>
>>64125812
Cool. I always wanted the Empire to come about because of a planet destroying super base, instead of Palpatine's skillful machiavellianism.
>>
Saw it in imax 3d and had a great time, albeit I did sneak in alcohol to lessen my autism. The pacing, scenery, most characters, and the nostolgia pandering I liked. I didnt like mary sue Rey and the VERY lackluster score. I mean wtf was Williams doing? Did he just work well with only lucas? Did disney not pay him enough? I don't believe at any part of the movie was there a specific theme. The score to Star wars is suppose to be grand, rivaling even the scale of the movie itself if not more so. Fuck it triggered me
>>
>>64122882
>Can we just admit that this was a fun movie with enjoyable characters and move on?
No. That would be lying. The flick wasn't fun and the characters weren't enjoyable.
>>
>>64125926
>That whole part with the loan sharks was fucking terrible.
I liked that it wasn't tonally like anything else in Star Wars. It felt like something from a spin off film
>>
File: 1432529953885.png (398 KB, 792x540) Image search: [Google]
1432529953885.png
398 KB, 792x540
>>64125825

Are you fags really that stupid?

This is Disney's first SW movie. They want it to be maximum nostalgia because of the Prequels disaster.

If they tried to do something new nerds would eat them alive. So they did everything thy could to pander to SW nerds. Movie is exactly like OT because of that. Nothing new. Nothing risky. Old SW people loved.

Now that they did it and satisfied the OT nerds they can try new things with the franchise.

This is what Rogue One is going to be. No Jedi. No lightsabers. No Skywalkers.

TFA is exactly what it was supposed to be. In every way. It's exactly what people expected and 90% of the fans are happy with that.

It made more money in a week than Revenge of the Sith did in it's entire run.
>>
>>64125939
>Palpatine's skillful machiavellianism

You mean acting like a clown and only succeeding because every good guy was retarded?
>>
>>64126099
Have a lot of stock in Disney do we?
>>
>>64126143
Nothing, and I mean nothing is more retarded than a third Death Star. Like Mr. White; they can't keep getting away with this.
>>
>>64126204

It's like you just admit that you have no counter argument.
>>
>>64125140
Muh dick. Who is she again?
>>
>>64126301

People loved Death Star. Everybody was expecting another Death Star.
>>
>>64124451
muh PTSD

TFA isn't just a fun film that can be enjoyed without over-analysing it. It's a boring predictable piece of garbage to sit through. I almost fell asleep twice during that piece of shit.
>>
>>64126328
Why should I give a fuck that Disney had to play it safe? Is that the defense people that like this film are really putting forward. Sad and pathetic. If this weren't a Star Wars film no one in their right mind would be defending this half-assed fanficsimile.
>>
>>64122882
I felt something in TFA. A feeling I hadn't had since...
I welled up, got emotional a lot while watching TFA. The prequels I felt nothing. Scenes where my eyes got watery:
1. Poe telling BB he'll come back
2. Poe telling Finn he's not calling him an ID number
3. Rey deciding to let BB tag along
4. Rey deciding not to sell BB for 60 portions.
5. Rey and Finn giddy about escaping in the Falcon, introducing their names.
6. Han checking out the Falcon cockpit
7. Han and Leia see eachother
8. Finn calling out to Rey as Kylo takes her to his ship.
8. Kylo and Han death scene
9. Rey finds Luke
>>
>>64126546
I got teary when Rey tries to hand the lightsaber to Luke all three times I saw the moive
>>
>>64126546
Hi, Reddit!

Here's some gold!
>>
>>64124550
If we had had George's vision and JJ's directing, and Kasdan's writing for the prequels...... my god.
>>
>>64123235
It needed a more epic poster that looked more like the rest of the movies
>>
>>64122882
>Can we just admit that this was a fun movie with enjoyable characters and move on?

No. I mean i could've done that if this movie actually felt like a Star Wars movie (the OT were was a fun movies with enjoyable characters), but this new movie is basically capeshit in space with a Star Wars skin.
>>
The movie was exactly what it needed to be. Watch the plinkett review of Star Trek 2009 and you'll see a lot of parallels to this movie.
>>
>>64123007
Ehhh no they wouldn't. There would be contrarians that hate it but the majority of the users on this board would have recogzied it is objectively a great film.

TFA is not a great film. Its enjoyable but ultimately forgettavle
>>
>>64127069
A forgettable Star Wars film is the ultimate sin of all.
>>
>>64126535

Face it, it worked. 91% audience score. Everybody loves it.
>>
>>64127169
People are idiots.
>>
>>64127169
Enjoying the movie doesn't make it good though. I enjoy The Fast and Furious movies but their objectively bad.
>>
>>64127010
So it was bellow mediocre but since it has the STAR WARS label, not making complete putrid shit is a victory?
>>
>>64127380
We get it already. You have a low IQ.
>>
>>64127420
Nah, I got a pretty high one bud. Continue to resort to your memeing though. It makes you look smart.
>>
>>64127464
This is the current year. Memes are good.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.