[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Oscar bait that failed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6
File: onesheet.jpg (66 KB, 387x580) Image search: [Google]
onesheet.jpg
66 KB, 387x580
ITT: Oscar bait that failed
>>
I think it's funny that this failed in Japan because all the nipponese were pissed of that they cast chinks to play Japanese characters.
>>
File: Painted-veil-1039.jpg (58 KB, 300x445) Image search: [Google]
Painted-veil-1039.jpg
58 KB, 300x445
>>64114327
But it won 3 oscars?

Certainly for the 4 people that won the oscars - the cinematographer, the costume designer, and the two art directors, their work in the film was not considered a failure..

>Pic related = "oscar bait that failed"
>0 awards
>meh reviews
>forgotten
>naomi watts will never win an oscar
>>
>>64114433
>nipponese were pissed of that they cast chinks to play Japanese characters

How retarded do movie execs after to be to not know that this would happen?
>>
> The Aviator
> J. Edgar
> The Great Gatsby
> The Wolf of Wall Street
> The Revenant
>>
>>64114683
>failed

Are you high?
>>
>>64114327
That's a great book though.
>>
>>64114609

I love the book. The movie isnt that bad to be quite honest.
>>
>>64114744
I liked the book a lot too.
>>
>>64114744
>>64115729
Guess I need to check the book out.
>>
>>64114433
The only Chinks in the movie are the heroine and the older top geisha who got herself a boyfriend

Yeoh is Malaysian and the rest of the cast are Japs

If anything its Japan's fault for failing to produce a Hollywood-tier actress
>>
Aren't geishas japanese prositutes
>>
File: american-hustle-poster-636-380.jpg (218 KB, 636x941) Image search: [Google]
american-hustle-poster-636-380.jpg
218 KB, 636x941
this so hard
>>
>>64116348

worst film ive ever seen at the cinema
>>
>>64116269
japanese modern cinema literally shits all over anything Hollywood produces though
>>
>>64116269
>If anything its Japan's fault for failing to produce a Hollywood-tier actress
It's not like Zhang Ziyi and Michelle Yeoh are famous in America. They are (or were) just better known than the vast majority of Asian actresses, and the producers of MoaG evidently wanted maximum name/face recognition. Rinko Kikuchi is now probably better known than either of them thanks to Pacific Rim and several other English language movies she's done.

>>64116304
No.
>>
File: China Japan or Korea.jpg (52 KB, 436x542) Image search: [Google]
China Japan or Korea.jpg
52 KB, 436x542
>>64116269
>Yeoh is Malaysian
25% of Malaysia's population is Chinese and I can tell just by looking at her that Yeoh is not Malay. Apparently the Japs are better at recognising an overseas Chink than you are.
>>
>>64116269
this, there is no one in Japan known as well as Zhang and Yeoh. And anything to get more Zhang in movies, she's top waifu. And no one as good as Ziyi Zhang acting wise, she's amazing
>>
>>64117406
Like I just said, Rinko Kikuchi is now likely better known. Geisha was ten years ago and it wasn't as big of a deal as Pacific Rim.
>>
>>64117504
Pacific Rim wasn't a big deal either. Asians suck balls.
>>
File: judge.jpg (62 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
judge.jpg
62 KB, 720x1080
>>64114327
Remember this? I didn't think so
>>
>>64117806
Pacific Rim was talked about a lot and made significantly more money at the box office than Geisha.

>Asians suck balls.
Your opinion on "Asians" is completely beside the point.
>>
>>64117504
Geisha wasn't the only big movie she was in. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was big at the time, but yeah that was a while ago. Her more recent stuff has been chineese drama stuff, which is hard to find good subtitled on torrents even. I think there is still two of her movies I haven't seen cause I can't get subs for them.

But her best movie is The Road Home, a love story set in a small secluded northern chineese town. Her acting in that movie is amazing and makes me cry....yeah, I can be a softy sometimes but most romance movies suck balls. This one was good
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.