[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is TFA the most convenient movie ever? >Rey and Finn run
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 18
Is TFA the most convenient movie ever?

>Rey and Finn run out of Niima outpost and it JUST SO HAPPENS the Millennium Falcon is not only right there, no, it's also not getting destroyed by the Tie Fighters (unlike the ship they meant to get first, which just blows up in one shot), it's also fully functional and no one else is on board right now

>It JUST SO HAPPENS Han and Chewie are in a freighter trying to haul Marlboro monsters from Final Fantasy while in orbit of Jakku and they see their old ship and suck it in

>It JUST SO HAPPENS Luke's lightsaber was "found" in the lower "parts of Bespin" and later ended up in possession of Maz, the shit tier orange Yoda-Minion mix, who of course gives it up to Rey immediately. Fortunately it JUST SO HAPPENS no one in the past few years thought of walking down this open corridor from the cantina and check out the unlocked room and unlocked chest inside of it, literally anyone could have just stolen it, but man what a luck!
>>
movie, bruh
for all we know there's a greater *force* that's secretly dictating these events.
>>
File: 1450383647183.jpg (34 KB, 900x382) Image search: [Google]
1450383647183.jpg
34 KB, 900x382
>>64112998
It was a always meesa choreographing theesa events
>>
>>64112961
>>Rey and Finn run out of Niima outpost and it JUST SO HAPPENS the Millennium Falcon is not only right there, no, it's also not getting destroyed by the Tie Fighters (unlike the ship they meant to get first, which just blows up in one shot), it's also fully functional and no one else is on board right now
The Falcon is probably a prized antique. It's not hard to believe it's in working condition. You're right about the tie fighters.
>>It JUST SO HAPPENS Han and Chewie are in a freighter trying to haul Marlboro monsters from Final Fantasy while in orbit of Jakku and they see their old ship and suck it in
>>It JUST SO HAPPENS Luke's lightsaber was "found" in the lower "parts of Bespin" and later ended up in possession of Maz, the shit tier orange Yoda-Minion mix, who of course gives it up to Rey immediately. Fortunately it JUST SO HAPPENS no one in the past few years thought of walking down this open corridor from the cantina and check out the unlocked room and unlocked chest inside of it, literally anyone could have just stolen it, but man what a luck!

Yeah you've got a point about the rest too, but this is just how shit happens in any medium of stories senpai.
>>
File: v8DXiwa.jpg (135 KB, 2880x1196) Image search: [Google]
v8DXiwa.jpg
135 KB, 2880x1196
>>64112961
>the nigger JUST HAPPENS to act like one
>>
>>64112961
Welcome to the Star Wars universe, where the fate of the galaxy depended on the villain's two secret kids and the droid he built as a child.
>>
The absolute biggest bullshit moment in all of TFA was when

Han did a "okay in 1..2..3.. now!" to stop the Falcon DURING HYPERSPACE TRAVEL to land on death star 3.0 and make it past the shields
>>
Is this your first Star Wars movie op?
>>
File: 1308907583968935201.jpg (39 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
1308907583968935201.jpg
39 KB, 636x358
>>64113164
Go on, tell me about all the equally bullshit "it just so happens" conveniences ANH had

Can you find as many as TFA had?
>>
>>64112961
>movies are art !

lel
>>
>>64113175
>The droids just happen to be sold to the family of the son of the Jedi that was the padawan of the man they were looking for
Off the top of my head
>>
>>64113102
E D G Y
D
G
Y
>>
Have you ever read a greek tragedy? Of course you haven't because most of you people never even graduated high school.

They are all FULL of lucas poetry-tier convenient events and guess what, they are the foundation of all modern storytelling;
>>
>>64113094
It's fine to have coincidences get your characters into trouble. No respectable writer allows a coincidence to get them out. It's lazy and boring. Which is exactly what TFA was.
>>
>>64112961
its pottery you shitlord
>>
>>64113222
>he doesn't know about Skippy the Jedi Droid who made these things happen
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Skippy_the_Jedi_Droid
>>
>>64112961
>>64112961
YEAH, CONVIENIENCES NEVER HAPPENED IN STAR WARS EVER BEFORE! LIKE THE TIME LUKE CONVIENTLY LANDED ON THE SAME EXACT SPOT YODA WAS LIVING ON DAGOBAH, OR WHEN QUIGON LANDED ON THE EXACT SAME PLANET AND SAME AREA THE CHOSEN ONE WAS LIVING
>>
>>64113237
None of those coincidences get them out of trouble, you're regurgitating writing memes you do not understand because you're desperate to sound smart. The characters get out of trouble through their own skill, resolve, and courage.
>>
>>64112961
If you want a boring story, you can just write an autobiography m8.
>>
>>64113268
Luke didn't happen to land where Yoda was.

Yoda sensed him coming so he went to where Luke would land.
>>
>>64113279
>None of those coincidences get them out of trouble

>Rey and Finn run out of Niima outpost and it JUST SO HAPPENS the Millennium Falcon is not only right there, no, it's also not getting destroyed by the Tie Fighters (unlike the ship they meant to get first, which just blows up in one shot), it's also fully functional and no one else is on board right now

based idiot

>>64113285
My autobiography would be pretty interesting, I lived in Japan for a long time and traveled a lot.
>>
This is JJA. It's still better than his ST reboot with young Spock stranding young Kirk on a planet just 2 minutes from the cave Old Sock is hiding in (with a transwarp equation in his pocket for when they have to reboard the Enterprise),. An Old Spock who knows that Young Scotty is on the same planet, a few minutes away from his cave.

Fuck you JJA. Even the worst TOS episode never pulled shit like that.

Also: a ST movie with sword fights and a Death Star? Fuck. You.
>>
>>64113279
Are you legitimately retarded?
>>
>>64113307
>based idiot
It's a tool they used that didn't immediately got them out of trouble at all. You either didn't watch the movie or you're trying to pathetically cling to your argument in an effort to save face. It isn't working faggot.
>>
>>64113222

OP BTFO
>>
>>64113351
Oh. You are legitimately retarded. I'm sorry.
>>
Its long been a thing in Star Wars that these things aren't really convenient - they happen because of the Force

you guys are fucking faggots
>>
>>64113307
>I lived in Japan for a long time and traveled a lot.

Lol this guy here thinks he's led an interesting life because he's been to other countries ooooo~~~~
>>
>>64113286

so you're telling me Luke landed a 10 minute hike from Yoda? On an entire planet? How does this change anything?
>>
>>64113381
You just got your ass objectively raped by me, little bitch boy. Denial is the first stage to acceptance.
>>
>>64113400
No, Yoda knew where Luke would end up landing a long time in advance. He prepared it so that he would be right there.
>>
>>64113400
Don't worry, the force will guide us.
>>
>>64113420

this is such an obvious fanwank it's giving me a headache. let me guess, it's in the EU?
>>
>>64113388
>Luke sensed Yoda from lightyears away because of the Force
>Kylo-Ren couldn't sense Rey on a single space ship
Ayyyyyy
>>
File: 1331860469913.jpg (19 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1331860469913.jpg
19 KB, 640x480
>>64113286
>Yoda sensed him coming so he went to where Luke would land.
>>
>>64113442
Kylo is like a toddler compared to yoda when it comes to anything force
>>
>>64113433

that's my point. it's not a coincidence, it's all this space magic shit that you accept or don't. this is also the source of this whole mary sue bullshit, she's being guided by space magic the whole movie, and people don't seem to realize this
>>
It was fate/the force/the holy spirit. The Star Wars universe has always been deterministic
>>
>Luke JUST SO HAPPENS to buy R2

whole movie series is fucked
>>
Have you ever seen a Star Wars movie? All coincidences are actually just The Force, you dipshit. It isn't real life, fag.
>>
>>64113496
>ONE coincidence

oh boo hoo
>>
>>64113477
But when Finn says the force will help them find the energy shield, Han says it doesn't work that way.
>>
>>64113527
le old man who perfectly manages to hit the 0.000000001 second window by counting in his head in which he has to stop the millennium falcon during hyperspace to not crash into the planet but to also not be outside of the shields
>>
>>64113527

han says that because he isn't force sensitive
>>
>>64113525
The droid that happened to be friends with the droid his long lost father (who happens to be his main antagonist) built.
>>
>>64113416
Haha. Okay, I'll explain why you're retarded.

Your use of the word "immediately" is telling. Nobody used that word except for you. You don't see how these bullshit coincidences got the characters out of trouble and conveniently moved the plot along because it didn't happen immediately. I would wager that you're incapable of understanding cause and effect when the effect is separated from the cause by more than a few minutes. Finding a fully-functional Millennium Falcon that somehow didn't get blown to shit and somehow got picked up by Han and Chewie was a convenience for the plot that allowed ALL of the main characters to get out of their respective predicaments.

The light saber is even worse, since Rey and Finn would have been mincemeat at the hands of Kylo-Ren without it. Lucky them!

You're fucking retarded.
>>
>>64113558
>the navicomputer doesn't do it
>>
I have another one

>IT JUST SO HAPPENS the weird monsters on han's freighter instantly devour and kill everyone else but when it's Finn they only drag him around like pac-man trying to evade ghosts
>>
>>64113527
because you can't tell the force what to do, not without training anyway

anyway that's how i interpreted it
>>
>>64113562
So there are 3 groups of people
>not force sensitive
>can feel the force
>can control the force
>>
>>64113586

this. that whole sequence should've been cut in favor of something to bring the pace down and have a more quiet moment. it would make the pace feel less like a heart attack
>>
>>64112961

Holy fuck, SW was always about Force guiding people towards their destiny.
>>
>>64113578
All of life is a series of coincidences.

If I hadn't been in a certain place at a certain moment, I wouldn't have met my wife.
>>
>>64113586

That makes sense though, they had already eaten and were full, so they were saving him for later. Even my 9 year old neice caught that lmao
>>
>>64113578
You claim there are bullshit coincidences that magically get them out of trouble.

After they got to the Millenium Falcon they were still very much in trouble. They only got out of trouble through Rey's skill as a pilot, Finn's skill as a gunner, and an incredible cooperation between the two. That's not cheating. The fact that there was a functional ship in the junkyard isn't far-fetched at all, it being the Millenium Falcon specifically didn't necessarily help them get out of that particular situation.
>>
>>64113286

Yeah, and Yoda's hut happened to be a 10 minutes walk from that spot because Yoda build it there in preparation too?
>>
>>64112961
Almost as if their destiny is being controlled by some sort of mystic energy field.
>>
It just so happens Rey developed the powers of the force really fucking fast, faster than Luke who had to be trained by fucking yoda himself and even then he was really shoddy at the force... but no Rey here became the master of the force in the matter of minutes

JJ is an absolute hack, also Snoke or SNORE looks like absolute dogshit in CGI and looks like a bland "I"m evil" character
>>
>>64113613
But you could make it less bullshit.

Want some examples?

>Rey and Finn finding the falcon
Just have Rey shout she's come across a working ship a few nights ago while they run out of the market place

>Han and Chewie finding the MF just by chance
Just explain it by someone in niima outpost ratting out that fat guy who stole the ship and so Han learned about its location
>>
Are people confusing SW with Star Trek again? Star Trek is the future, Star Wars is magic space land. Think LOTR vs 2001.
>>
>>64113653

also they were about to be gassed and die of asphyxiation because it was so broken. they weren't in a good place at all.
>>
>>64112961
if you think like this watching a flick then you have severe autism..
>>
>>64112961
Why was Rey so emotionless? She spent her whole life on a desert planet and when she saw a green planet for the first time all she did was comment about how everything's green. Fucking Jar Jar was more adventurous than her.
>>
>>64113662
shut up
>>
>>64113671
With the downfall of the Jedi, the Force made her more sensitive so she could impress Luke. That's how I see it anyway.
>>
>>64113586
>monsters on han's freighter instantly devour and kill everyone else

But they didn't. Most of those pirates or whatever they were survived.
>>
>>64113705
Because she's a strong womyn.
>>
File: rey-the-force-awakens-jakku.png (569 KB, 350x403) Image search: [Google]
rey-the-force-awakens-jakku.png
569 KB, 350x403
>>64113686
They were in no danger. Rey was there.

"Leave it to me!" - Rey
>>
>>64113677

Except they said it the movie that they tracked it after it was turned on for the first time in years.
>>
>>64113678
see
>>64113320

They're all the same now.
>>
>>64113768

New Trek is actually far more bullshit than new SW.
>>
>>64113611
I liked TFA quite a bit, but I definitely agree that this would have been better. Not JJ's style at all, though
>>
>>64113705
Because it would have cut down on the action. The movie was too fast for it's own good. No character had any room to breath and come alive.

On paper, Rey would have been a fucking great character. In execution? Not so much.
>>
>>It JUST SO HAPPENS Han and Chewie are in a freighter trying to haul Marlboro monsters from Final Fantasy while in orbit of Jakku and they see their old ship and suck it in

They weren't in Jakkus Orbit, they had a tracker on the Falcon and when someone finally turned it on they jumped to Its location

also

>The Empire JUST SO HAPPENS not to destroy the life pod because "No life forms" are on board
>R2 and C3PO JUST so happen to land in the area of Tattoine where Luke is, are captured by Jawa's, and JUST SO HAPPEN to be sold to Luke's family
>Obiwan JUST SO HAPPENS to show up in time to save Luke
>The Stormtroopers JUST SO HAPPEN to show up and murder Luke's Uncle & Aunt when Luke is out
>>
>>64113860
>Obiwan JUST SO HAPPENS to show up in time to save Luke
That one is stupid and you know it. Not only did Obi-Wan settle not far from Luke to watch over him, he could also sense that he was in danger, plus he heard the ruckus going on outside of his hut with all the tuskens shouting
>>
>>64113803
I agree. I never watche into Darkness though. The 2009 one was enough for me. I liked Nemesis better than , and Nemesis was pretty shitty (and a Wrath of Khan rip-off).
>>
>>64113268

That's not how storytelling works bitch.

First, those things added to the story and could not be other way.

Then, Ben's ghost told Luke to go to Dagobah. You can infer the Force or Ben's ghost told Luke where the fuck he had to land, just like the Force/Ben told him when and where to shoot in the Death Star.

About Qui Gonn landing in Tatooine, yep that was a coincidence but it doesn't sound weird. It just contributes to the whole Prophecy thing.

On the other hand Luke's saber being in this space reggae pub in the middle of nowhere, where you don't know why criminals (and hella informers too) go for a drink (but there are no spaceships parked outside, so these criminals live in the pub or in the woods outside?) where somehow Han (not the Force) decided to go. Well...

Nonsense.

And don't go with the whole "it will be explained in the next film". Films are supposed not to be weird without watching it's sequels.
>>
>>64113911
Of course he knew he in danger otherwise I would have said something about Obiwan turning up in the first place, It's how Obiwan turns up after Luke is already knocked out and could have been dead (Why didn't the Sand people kill Luke? The first one that appears certainly looks like he's trying to kill him but then we cut to him just being knocked out) and are getting ready to depart
>>
>>64113677
>Rey and Finn find the falcon
Rey explains to han that it had been there for years and she had helped with the modifications that majjin bu or whatever his name was made, she knew it worked but also knew it was old and a piece of shit

han says something ~"Do you think it was an accident that we found you? the first order probably picked up the ship too"

did you see the movie?
>>
>>64113964
How did Anakin's saber survive anyway? Didn't Luke drop it into the gas giant in episode 5?
>>
>>64114006
That is a story for another time
>>
>>64113860

You're failing to see the difference between coincidences that contribute to the story and coincidences that make it all weird because of their uncoherent nature.
>>
Just turn off your brain bro
>>
>>64114006
Vader used the Magnet Trick to call the saber back to him. He was very fond of it after all. He called it The Youngling Slayer.
>>
>>64114006
Luke got sucked up by some sideways escape tunnel or whatever the fuck its purpose is, right?

His saber fell down below in the "big" hole.

Apparently there is some stuff down there where people work so they found it.
>>
>>64114058
>it was a good weapon
>>
>>64112961
Why were all of the original items in the Millennium falcon not gutted and sold from the guy who literally buys gutted and sold ship parts?

Han and crew are forced to abandon his freighter and leave with nothing but the falcon ans what's inside. It just happens to have a closet full of weapons, the force training ball Droid, and the chess board. Did the previous owner never think to look inside the ship he stole?
>>
>>64114058
I wonder if that lightsaber is particularly powerful, maybe Rey beat Kylo by burning off youngling souls as fuel
>>
>>64114047
The only one in the OP that is a coincidence that doesn't further the story is the first one

Maz let Rey go into that cellar
>>
>>64114083
Rey: Luke.. I found your old lightsaber.. here, take it.
Luke: Thank you.. I missed this weapon, it was a good friend and its blade was blessed by the pure blood of dozens of younglings
>>
>>64113102
we da boss now!
>>
>>64114104
Han is a celebrity in the Star Wars universe, maybe Plutts was planing to sell it to an enthusiast as the famous Millenium Falcon with everything still intact
>>
The plot doesn't even matter because it's a literal rehash.

What's important to look at after seeing the movie, is how it's an action flick with a star wars skin.

HOW are people not getting that? The film reeked of generic blockbuster and not genuine creativity or interesting writing.
>>
>>64113222
>>64113363
>names one coincidence out of the whole ANH
>compared to The Coincidences Awaken
>"XDDD OP BTFO"

shit thread
>>
>>64114107
Forcebringer? That would make Anakin, Elric.

Actually... Lucas may have been influenced by Elric when coming up with Anakin.
>>
File: 1420244356242.png (32 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
1420244356242.png
32 KB, 640x400
Why does Finn know Han Solo as "the legendary war hero"?

He was abducted as a kid so young he didn't even have a name yet.

What kind of history books did the first order write for him?
>>
Han said that he was able to track down the Falco once it was turned on. His computers picked it up

He probably got there by light speed. Could have been anywhere and got there in minutes or less
>>
>[Han Solo’s death is] this massive tradeoff. How can we possible do that!? But… if we hadn’t done that, the movie wouldn’t have any guts at all. It felt very dangerous.
JJ is a hack, he knew his movie is an unoriginal rip off of a New Hope so he just killed off Han too make it seem like it was different
>>
>>64112961
Falcon was covered up and looked like just another Jakku junk-heap.

Han & Chewie picked up the tracking signal on the Falcon when Rey started it up, and had been looking for it for a while.

Maz seems to have some force connection, and the saber is a force-powerful artifact. "It's fate", yo.

3,5/10
>>
>>64114239
Han had to die either way. Ford only agreed to appear if they killed him off.

He wanted to die during ep 5 and 6 already but Lucas refused to do it and he had signed a contract.
>>
>>64114146
> that things a piece of junk it hasn't flown in years except it functions perfectly after 2 minutes of tinkering
>>
>>64114210
Because "The Legendary Outlock" was already meme'd.
>>
>>64114108

It furthers the story but in a weird way because you can't avoid thinking "wait what the fuck really?".

I truly went to the cinema wanting to like this movie and not be all time looking for flaws.

But these flaws were so numerous and obvious I couldn't get over them.

I enjoyed my 2 hours in the cinema because it was Star Wars but J.J. truly fucked up. This could have been a hundred times better.
>>
German Finn and Rey have a much better voice than original ones
>>
>>64112961
>okay, I don't actually know how that superweapon works
>what now?
>i dunno lol
>go in, meet phasma, she deactivates the shield
>>
>>64114239
>>64114262

If he had to die he should have died fighting.
>>
>>64114330
He died fighting for his son to come back
>>
>>64113222
Eh it's a small galaxy
>>
>vader captures princess who is his daughter
>daughter sends droids away
>one of the droids was literally made by darth vader
>droids get bought by vader's son
>luke kisses his sister
>vader's son is the only pilot good enough to destroy the death star, despite the squadron of vets
>>
>>64114330

Or at least trying to help his friends, like Ben.

A Qui Gonn or Ben like death would have been ok.

But not this shit.
>>
>"OK listen up J.J. or whatever your name is, if you want to make it big in this town we need to shoehorn in the Millennium Falcon, have Han and Chewie come back and have Luke's lightsaber be found so that we can make and sell toys of those things."
>"OK how about this, Mr. Goldberg. Rey and Finn run out of Niima outpost and the Millennium Falcon is not only right there, it's also not getting destroyed by the Tie Fighters (unlike the ship they meant to get first, which just blows up in one shot), it's also fully functional and no one else is on board right now. Han and Chewie are in a freighter trying to haul Marlboro monsters from Final Fantasy while in orbit of Jakku and they see their old ship and suck it in. uke's lightsaber was "found" in the lower "parts of Bespin" and later ended up in possession of Maz, the shit tier orange Yoda-Minion mix, who of course gives it up to Rey immediately. Fortunately no one in the past few years thought of walking down this open corridor from the cantina and check out the unlocked room and unlocked chest inside of it, literally anyone could have just stolen it, but man what a luck!"
>"Perfect. And make sure the bad guy has a new evil light sword. Kids can't resist buying that crap."
>>
>>64114330
Nah this is the one thing I think they did well.

It's a meaningful and well done death. He wouldn't ever have died if it wasn't for Leia asking him to bring back their son. Only reason he even tried and went out to shout at Kylo is because he promised Leia he would try.

It also helps shape Kylo's character and the dialogue in that particular scene is really good because you initially think Kylo talks about not knowing whether he has the strength to leave the dark side behind and come back with his father
>>
>>64112961

I don't think it's fair to call Maz a Minion mix. Disney doesn't own Minions and probably despises them.
>>
>>64114315
The used bullying to win the day, instead of cleverness, power, or skill.

Fuck this shit. Even the underdogs warrior Ewoks were a better idea than this.

If JJA does a James Bond movie, I bet he'll make the villain piss his pants in front of James and stop his plan.
>>
>>64113175
>>64114172

>Droid just so happen to be sold to the son of Anakin Skywalker

>Luke just so happens to arrive to his home after all the Stormtroopers have left

>The Falcon just so happens to meet up with the Death Star and rescue the princess.

>Obi Wan just so happens to find Darth Vader on a station the size of a planet.

>Luke just so happens to be an expert pilot

>Like just so happens to be able to use the Force to kill the Death Star

>The Millennium Falcon just so happens to be in a perfect position with no turbolasers shooting at it to kill Darth Vader's ship.

Why is Lucas such a fucking hack? The prequels are better than this shit. :^)
>>
>>64112961
It’s a good question for another time
>>
Ep IV was just as bad.
>escape pod not destroyed
>no life signs, gee what else could be on board in a world full of droids
>Obi wan knows how to deactivate DS tractor beams and conveniently finds it close to the hangar bay
>Princess' cell is close as well
>>
>>64114389
Maz is a the new jar jar, first off her CGI looks like absolute dogshit and her character is really fucking annoying

I was groaning and waiting for the pain to end when she showed up
>>
>>64114367

Come on, man. You know Han is going to die from the very first moment he speaks with Leia about making this angsty emo teen come back. You just don't want to accept it. But then J.J. makes Han go after Kylo in that runway and you scream internally "Oh no J.J. not this way motherfucker".

Stupid scene.
>>
The thing about movies is they aren't real life. :)
>>
Just turn off your brain nerds. :^)
>>
>>64114427
I like Nupita, but that character was shit.
>>
>>64112961
>movie about a guy WHO JUST HAPPENED TO WIN THE LOTTERY, HOLY SHIT!
You typically only tell stories when something significant, coincidental or extraordinaire actually happens, so you got the casual chain backwards - something amazing happens, then story erupts from that.
>>
>>64112961
What is the force?
>>
>>64113223
Hey reddit. Nice day to get offended by others, isn't it?
>>
>>64113149
/tv/ has ruined TFA for me because it's true... all of it.
>>
>>64114588
Tiny trolling microbes under the skin.
>>
>>64114400
The first one is the only one that has any merit, but then one coincidence doesn't ruin a story. In fact, it's what makes a story. The rest is stupid like you.
>>
>>64113149
Also hyperspacing out of the spaceship,
>>
>>64113222
How is that a surprise given that Obi Wan was specifically living close to Luke to protect him? It's a small coincidence, hardly a big one.
>>
>>64112961
I enjoy the mental gymnastics people in here are doing just to shit on the movie.

Like why can't you people just enjoy things?
>>
I wish they would have shown Rey being affected by the first order destroying all those planets, similar to Ben needing to sit down after alderaan is destroyed.
>>
>>64114793
Why can't JJ just be a good director?

When even an amateur nobody like me can point out situations in the movie and say "uh, this is bad, you should have done [this]" then you know you fucked up.

This guy was paid MILLIONS to direct this movie.

How is it we still have a final scene that ends on them looking at each other for twice as long as they should have AND it has a fucking helicopter shot?
>>
>>64114830
Should have got Nolan tbqhwyf
>>
>>64114210

In learning about the fall of the Empire, he probably learned about Han Solo, so he probably knew that he was considered a war hero by the enemy.
>>
>>64114830
This desu. But he's only directing one movie, right? Or am I mistaken
>>
>>64114315

>meet Phasma

He clearly says "I have an idea" beforehand, so they obviously go looking for her.
>>
>>64114821
Dude, no, that woud have slowed down the BREAKNECK SPEED pacing of the movie. We can't have that.

It's The Current Year/Close to the Following Year. Movies need 2 things. The BS2 formula, and ADHD-tier pacing.
>>
>>64114954
What would they have done if Phasma had said "You know what Finn, fuck you. I won't do shit."
>>
>>64114427
Causally racist as well. Blacks are the new media gods so they have to be main characters, but the only vaguely asian character besides that rebel scrub in the bunker is some shit-tier orange caricature of an old Chinese lady, tiny stature and glasses included. They would've made her yellow if they could.
>>
>>64112961
The quadjumper they were going to steal is basically a space tugboat and likely had weaker plating as it was not designed for combat
>>
>>64114981
LOST. They would have LOST.
>>
>>64114396

They didn't have time for cleverness or skill. They would have, if Finn didn't lie to them, but they went in on the assumption that Finn knew what he was doing, and then when they realized he didn't, they had to make do with whatever they could. It worked, didn't it?

That's what I liked about Finn; he was cowardly and resourceful, and knew what he wanted to do, just not how to do it. Him making it up as he went along was a perfect method for someone in his situation, ill-prepared as he was.
>>
>>64112961
>JUST SO HAPPENS

In my experience there's no such thing as luck
>>
>>64114981

I don't know. What would Luke have done if he missed the shot to the Death Star's exhaust port? What would Luke have done if Jabba just shot him, or if the Rancor had killed him instantly? What would Leia have done if the Empire destroyed the escape pod?

Sometimes plots work because the plots demand they do.
>>
>>64115072
In my experience there is such a thing as SAND.

It's coarse, and it gets everywhere.
>>
>>64114981
Phasma's inability to call out for help got the entire base, along with the billions of people that likely inhabit it, decimated. I hope she enjoyed her time in the trash compactor
>>
>>64115172
>tfw they have a special "star wars menu" at my cinema chain
>every town gets a different kind of collector's coin to go with the menu
>my city got the captain phasma coin

so fucking lame, I would have taken any coin but this one. Well maybe other than a Maz one.
>>
>>64115235
>tfw no Tr8-0R coin
>>
>>64115172

Phasma will somehow get out of the trash compactor and escape the imploding planet and make it back for the next movie an you know it.

Maybe she's just a clone so there are like a thousand Phasmas in the Galaxy.

Fuck you Disney and Jar Jar Abrams.
>>
>>64112961
When JewJew is in charge of directing films you shouldn't be surprised that the movie is riddled with plot-holes and logical fallacies. That man literally doesn't know how to go over a fence other than from the lowest possible point and even then he cheats so stupidly that it is visible to anyone who bothers to look that way.
>>
>>64113320
>old sock
kek
>>
>>64112961
Don't know about convienent but it lacked emotional content unlike this trailer for another star wars product

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzq9epS2b1A
>>
>>64113442
that's not how the force works.

think of god's wishes, that's how the force (not its users) work
>>
>>64113149
Fett and Han did it in the EU a few years ago and it was just as stupid then.
>>
>>64112961
>It JUST SO HAPPENS Luke's lightsaber was "found" in the lower "parts of Bespin

Finding ANYTHING on a gas giant. why wasn't it crushed by pressure and gravity?

Why wasn't the sabre Obi Wan's that was lost and in imperial custody after he died fight vader on the first deathstar?
>>
>>64113286
Nigga. You remember how Luke's system was fucking up with him? He couldn't read anything on his terminals and was heading for a crash landing?

Yoda was guiding his ship closer to him.
And setting the X-Wing up for a future teaching lesson.
>>
>>64116051
Anakin sabers get thrown into the giant hole on Cloud City, we don't know where it ends up. So more than likely someone found it in some tube.
>>
With all the other episodes. And how they each all have their own coincidences. That never would've happened if X wasn't there with Y being the result of it.

You inept pansy waist fools are missing one of the key blocks of pottery that made these movies.
It's not a coincident that all these X's and Y's are in this movie.
We could go down the line for each fucking movie and list an assload from each one onward and they'd all have their own.

Y'all niggas need to get up on that poettree tho.
>>
>>64116858
They cut to a shot of the saber falling into the clouds when Luke hit the weather vane.
>>
>>64117239
then it's not fucking canon, is it?
>>
File: handsaber.jpg (17 KB, 695x469) Image search: [Google]
handsaber.jpg
17 KB, 695x469
>>64117239
Gross...The hand is still clutching it....
>>
>>64117580
Well, it's the major plot hole of the film IMO. They hung a lampshade on it but I wish they had come up with something else.
>>
File: Off by one Kenobi.jpg (46 KB, 400x474) Image search: [Google]
Off by one Kenobi.jpg
46 KB, 400x474
>>64112998
>will of the force
>>
>>64113268
Remember when he lost control in the cloud layer, right before crashing into the swamp? If only there was a little green guy that is later established to be able to pick up an x wing out of the mud and move it around like it's nothing living on the planet waiting for him to show up.

Fuck, why doesn't the movie explain these things to me in the most obvious child-friendly way!
>>
File: bravo nolan.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bravo nolan.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>64114886
They didn't want the mass shooter audience
>>
>>64112961
Han literally outright states that them finding the Falcon wasn't a coincidence. Were you not listening when he said the exact words "It wasn't a coincidence that we found you"?
>>
>>64117765
It probably should have been the saber from Jedi, but it's less recognizable.
>>
>>64112961

Not as convenient as star track where kirk landed on the snow planet and met future spok.
>>
>>64113307
>My autobiography would be pretty interesting
No it wouldn't you imbecile
>>
>>64113268
It's not a coincidence, it's just skipping over things that aren't important to the story.
>>
>>64118907
This. A movie is allowed certain plot conveniences because Movie. It's called suspension of disbelief.

While this can allow you to enjoy a movie where space wizard are throwing things around with their mind, its very fickle. An audience is willing to go so far with you before it violates that unspoken contract and veers into stupid bullshit territory.

There is a right way and a wrong way to set up plot conveniences.
>>
>>64113845
Felt the same way, it seemed the whole movie was in hyperdrive.
>>
So did they put Phasma in a trash can?
>>
>>64114886

Would have preferred Nolan. He gave an accurate depiction of grimdark Batman....what the fuck did JJ give other than shareholder returns
>>
>>64119038
They cut a lot from the final movie as well.

They needed to cut out the whole maz sequence, and streamlined the ending. Keep the run time the same, but add more time establishing rey and fin.

I mean she was an orphan on a shit planet full of scavengers. She could have asked fin, when they were running away, who the first order was. Give him a few lines of throw away exposition explaining that they're an imperial remnant, or whatever.
>>
File: black storm.jpg (273 KB, 873x1214) Image search: [Google]
black storm.jpg
273 KB, 873x1214
>>64113102
>>
>>64112961
It is a movie made for children.
>>
File: 1431042898074.png (187 KB, 503x501) Image search: [Google]
1431042898074.png
187 KB, 503x501
So who was the protagonist in TFA?
>>
>>64119439
Rey, its pretty obvious
>>
>>64113222
Leia knew Obi-Wan was living on Tatooine.
Obi-Wan was living near Luke to keep a watchful eye on him.
Luke's family are farmers and were buying droids for the harvest.

Not that big of a convenience.
>>
>>64117239

What? No, they didn't. If they did it was SE crap.
>>
File: 1348007412524.jpg (28 KB, 309x421) Image search: [Google]
1348007412524.jpg
28 KB, 309x421
>>64114159
>This
If u take out the legendary scores it will be tranformers all over again but at least micheal bay have the decency to not put britbongs and nigs all over the franchise.
>>
>>64113738
"It's not so easy without a co-pilot!" - Rey

Turns out it was pretty easy without a co-pilot.
>>
lots of loser nerds getting mad itt rofl
>>
>>64119602
It was Anakin's force ghost who helped her. Just you wait for a special edition with added Hayden.
>>
>>64113860
>>R2 and C3PO JUST so happen to land in the area of Tattoine where Luke is

Wrong. R2 and C3PO landed in the middle of nowhere and travel by foot for a long while until Jawa's pick them up, who then travel the planet selling shit to people.
>>
>>64112961
>It just so happens that the Star Destroyer attacked the Rebel ship over Tatooine
>It just so happens that the Jawas that captured the droids brought them to the home of Darth Vader's son
>It just so happens that the droid Owen was going to buy instead of R2 malfunctioned
>It just so happens that the Death Star was at Alderaan when the Falcon made the jump there
>It just so happens that Princess Leia, Luke's sister, and Darth Vader's daughter, was being held prisoner onboard when they were captured

Is ANH the most convenient movie ever?
>>
My only complaint was the fact that it didn't add anything new to the franchise but milked all the things thats already their.
>>
>>64112961
Uh yeah, the force works in mysterious ways
>>
>>64115332
The feminist producer already said she made it off the planet and will be in the sequel. :^)
>>
>>64112961
It's the force bro.
>>
is this your first movie, OP? welcome to the world of film :^)
>>
>all three main characters from all movies are from a desert planet
you cant make this stuff up!
>>
>>64112961
Convenience in movies is excused because it's a usually a story ABOUT convince. You can also chalk up convenience in these films as the force influencing people and bringing them on the same path.
>>
>>64112961
>>Rey and Finn run out of Niima outpost and it JUST SO HAPPENS the Millennium Falcon is not only right there

The Falcon belongs to the same guy who Rey was left with as a baby. It's obvious that this won't be a coincidence.
>>
>>64112961
Its almost like its Star Wars you stupid faggot nigger
>>
>>64113030
I fucking hope so, nothing in cinems would be sweeter.
>>
>>64115031

And one of the Han-hating gangs. And also an X-Wing pilot

There's no pleasing you fuckers
>>
File: feeling you.jpg (57 KB, 179x428) Image search: [Google]
feeling you.jpg
57 KB, 179x428
>>64112961
I feel you on everything but the door at the end of the corridor. It was locked but then unlocked when rey approached it. Hence the whole red lit console turning white.
>>
Much worst in the originals
>>
>>64119439
>

Rey
>>
>>64112961
More like
>Finn just so happens to walk in the one direction that leads to civilization and not certain death
>>
>>64120383
where was she in the middle part of the movie tho?
>>
the millenium falcon made its way back to han like some fucking lost dog or something
thats what pisses me off the most. He was just chillin in space and suddenly the fucking falcon is docked in his port
>>
>>64120497
Having a crisis of faith, and escaping her captors using the force while her friends mount a rescue.
>>
Y'all are trying to talk logic about a child's fantasy movie. Didn't you find it convenient that the one thing Dori could remember in Finding Nemo was the Dentist's address?
>>
>>64120686
>its a children's movie
>just turn your brain off bro
>>
>>64120152
Most terrestrial planets in the universe are probably deserts.
>>
>>64120793
I'm 49 and have watched ever Star Wars movie made. I've forked over a fortune to George Lucas (and now Disney). But I also know that it's a story meant to sell toys.
>>
>>64112961
Meh, all of those can be said about ANH too. But fanboys tend to ignore that.
>>
>>64120882
So its immune from criticism because seriously bro, just turn off your brain?
>>
>>64120953
Just don't take it so seriously. It's a story, not high literature.
>>
>>64121023
So just turn your brain off is the width and breadth of the argument. Gotcha.
>>
>>64113307
>My autobiography would be pretty interesting, I lived in Japan for a long time and traveled a lot.

Salaryman lifes are not that intredasting
>>
>>64121095
The width and breadth of my argument is you'll argue with a wall and I fucked your mom.
>>
Reminder to call /tv/ /sw/ from now on.

Let's take over this board once and for all.
>>
File: why so salty.jpg (35 KB, 597x662) Image search: [Google]
why so salty.jpg
35 KB, 597x662
>>64121156
>>
File: 1421867692351.png (39 KB, 914x1091) Image search: [Google]
1421867692351.png
39 KB, 914x1091
jus turn off ur brain! :^)
>>
>>64112961
Are you seriously, sincerely surprised that fortunate coincidences are happening in a setting that's defined most notably by a magical energy field that affects luck and fate?
>>
>>64121270
FROM MY POINT OF VIEW

THE TELEVISION & FILM ARE EVIL
>>
>>64112961
>It JUST SO HAPPENS Han and Chewie are in a freighter trying to haul Marlboro monsters from Final Fantasy while in orbit of Jakku and they see their old ship and suck it in

IT HAD A FUCKING TRANSMITTER YOU FUCKING REDDITOR
>>
>>64121401
The transmitter was on for 15 minutes you goofball.
>>
>>64113496
Luke and Uncle Owen actually did not buy R2-D2; they initially bought R5-D4. However, R5-D4 blew out and C-3PO convinced Uncle Owen to buy R2-D2.
>>
>>64121784
I remember some fanfic somewhere where R5 was force sensitive and knew r2 was meant to go with the luke, and faked a malfunction.
>>
Ret had been working on the Falcon, and it's a hunk of junk not worth destroying, so the First Order believes

Han says the Falcon is easy to spot. Of course he'd be interested in what it's doing

Maz is good friends with Han, who of course would be entrusted with the lightsaber. Leia wouldn't want it because its owner destroyed her home planet

This shit is easy, senpai
>>
So did Luke secretly wire R2's on switch to Han's vital signs?
>>
>>64122200
The force awoke him.
>>
>>64122200
R2 was in a low power state. He was probably conscious
>>
CALLING UPON ANYONE

To tell me if this post is ironic or not.

Thank you.

We all know that the force leads groups of people into "destiny" situations, and makes unlikely pairings of people to come together and fight against adversity.
>>
>>64122660
I think the whole thing with Rey is that she was a Skywalker and most of the times where people point out. It was a do or die situation, and she was that attuned to the living force.

Everybody doesn't want an Empire type film for the sequel. But it's already set it's self up for one and of course poetry.
If Luke is going to teach her, it'll be almost the same basics that went down with him and Yoda.
Just cause she did all those things, it was just in the moment. I highly doubt she'll be able to do it just willing every day things like Luke is about to show her.

I mean Luke just passively probe's her mind and mentions the old imperial walker she spent most of her life in. And he's not even trying, with that knowing wink. Where she has to be in a life threatening situation.

Basically, Naruto.
>>
>>64112961

Coincidences, synchronicities, etc, they're all explained by Quint Cunt Gin: it's the Force. I thought it was especially obvious in this film. Too many coincidences to be butt luck.

Yes, it's convenient as FUCK and lazy writing. Explainable, still lazy as shit.

Hope the next will be better.

As a grown man, Disney can make a SW movie a year, and even at this quality of writing, I'll still watch every single one of them, forever.
>>
You know what's convenient? That in Apollo 13 they had all the parts onboard to fix the ship. I mean come on.
>>
arent the jedi/new republic kind of the bad guys in this new trilogy?

there's a peace treaty between the first order and the new republic, yet the republic keeps funding insurrection groups to destabilize the first order's systems
>>
>>64113102
kek'd at this part in the movie theater.

chimps just love to chimp out
>>
>>64112961

han practically explained finding the falcon tho

"its not an accident we found it, and if we can find it the first order can"

the falcon obviously had some kind of homing beacon that activated when rey powered it up
>>
EVERY FUCKING STAR WARS MOVIE IS LIKE THAT OP!!!! Remember in the first one where r2d2 and c3po escape in the pod and they were going to blast it, but were like nah don't feel like it? everything that happened in star wars to bring down the empire was that one dude's fault. if he blasted the pod nothing good would have ever happened. Yes I stole this from Spaced.
>>
>>64114400
1why does it matter that it's the son of Anakin? and don't bring up the prequels, the retarded forced pottery of the prequels aren't the OT's fault.

2. why wouldnt he? he was away when they came, and all the stormtroopers had to deal with was a couple of farmers. wouldnt have taken long

3. no it doesnt. the gang follows a small Empire craft, wondering why it would be out flying on its own in deep space. they dont realize what the death star is and accidentally follow the craft into the range of the DS' tracter beam

4. the force. also Obi-Wan doesnt find Vader, Vader finds Obi-Wan. theres several scenes of him sensing Obi-Wan's presence and deciding to go face him. Vader also knows the layout of the base so he'd have no trouble followig the trace. also the DS is the size of a moon, you babyfag

5. been piloting since he was young, his goal in life was to go to flight academu. not a coincidence

6. bait

7. bad bait
Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.