[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>4 planets got destroyed >no one cares
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: starkiller.jpg (23 KB, 497x506) Image search: [Google]
starkiller.jpg
23 KB, 497x506
>4 planets got destroyed
>no one cares
>>
fuck off manchild
>>
It's getting cold, isn't it?
>>
They even cheered at the end.
>>
>planet sized station somehow absorbes entire stars no problem
>not being fucking destroyed by gravity and radiation just from being in close proximity
>>
hello reddit
>>
>>64108124
Did starkiller have no oceans? Where did the snow come from?
>>
>>64108124
>no one cares
Its a JJ abrams movie, nobody got time for that, RUN, ACTUALLY NO, FUCKING SPRINT!
>>
File: ledeathstar.png (1 MB, 1655x806) Image search: [Google]
ledeathstar.png
1 MB, 1655x806
> Won't this beam just destroy the world below
> no one cares
>>
What the fuck were they doing having another death star rehash in this? Of the few things the OT was criticized for "second death star" was probably the biggest. Just this alone ruined the movie for me.
>>
>>64108124
Starkiller Base is at least 50 times bigger than a Death Star, but only 4 times more destructive, and it needs to consume a star.

Seems kind of dumb. Why wouldn't you just have 20+ Death Stars instead?
>>
>>64108124
>>no one cares
They all acted pretty shocked and they wanted to blow up the weapon even before they knew the weapon was pointed at the planet where the resistance is.
>>
>>64108124
>>no one cares
There are plenty more in the galaxy tbqh pham.
>>
>>64108124
They just keep making these superweapons. If only there were some kind of.. I dunno, non-proliferation treaty, just like during the real world Cold War? Especially considering that a similar divice has been built and used before.

But nah, our audiences are stupid degenerate manchildren who are as capable of political thinking as single cell organisms.
>>
How do they build these fucking things so fast? Where do they get the materials?
>>
>>64108264
It's a soft reboot

The fans loved it. It’s very much the kind of movie they’ve been looking for.
>>
>>64108264
The average movie goer is a spastic. They'll happily turn up to see Death Star 4.0 and 5.0 in the next movies. For most people, a movie is just a way to kill two hours. They are not thinking about things.
>>
>>64108124
Did they list what planets they were? Coruscant? Naboo?
>>
After 2 times you'd think they'd just make a giant death ray weapon that's basically a giant cannon stationed on a planet instead of an actual space station
>>
>>64108273
Because they all need that fucking exhaust port somewhere. Nobody will find a BIG FUCKING BUILDING, especially since satellite photos somehow don't exist in this space world.

I was going to say that the best counter to Starkiller is to build a Death Star for less and blow it up with that, but then I remember that it has that shield that covers the whole planet. That's actually the best invention of that whole effort; perhaps the planets that people actually live on should add some so that they can't be blown up by green lasers and sunburns.
>>
How the fuck is the Empire able to justify building these fucking things anymore? I'm pretty sure that even in the most authoritarian and militaristic societies we would be seeing mass desertion and outrage once it is announced that they are wasting resources rebuilding the same thing that got blown up and killed tens of thousands of imperials two times before except even larger. Come to thing of it, how does a weakened and diminished imperial remnant get the resources to build something 40 times the size of something that was an absolute marvel of construction at the height of their power?
>>
>>64108398
People who watch this don't understand fundamental politiclal realities, even though I bet most of them like to think of themselves as enlightened in that regard.
>>
>>64108124
In this picture it's appear like if it try to look "I didn't do it".
>>
File: 1450340029249.jpg (37 KB, 471x350) Image search: [Google]
1450340029249.jpg
37 KB, 471x350
>>64108177
>sucks power from the sun
>icy surface
>>
>>64108397

There were planetary shields before the Death Star. Alderaan was notorious for having impenetrable orbital shields, which is why Tarkin really wanted to blow that fucker up. Hoth had orbital shields which required a ground invasion. Even Endor had a shield projector which required special forces to take it out.

One of the core tendencies of Star Wars is the neverending emphasis on small units of special forces and guerilla tactics. The bad guys come up with these big plans with failsafes, and a few guys come in with explosives and blow them up anyway.
>>
So what? Is this practically a rogue planet hyperspace jumping from star to star to charge up the weapon that can magically destroy any planet anywhere it wants to?
>>
>>64108521

It was an experiment which actually worked.
>>
If they need a new sun everytime they want to fire this fucker how does anybody know where it is? They could just randomly travel to anywhere. Finding the station would be as difficult as stumbling upon Luke.
>>
>>64108237
What? I dont speak retard.
>>
Shouldn't absorbing a star alone fuck over all the planets in the system?
>>
>>64108602
Also, they basically fuck 2 systems for the price of one, whichever system gets the sun drained dies because it'll fucking completely freeze over and no more sunlight ever again
>>
>>64108660
shhhh no questions now goy just buy this fantastic range of Star Wars™ figures and collectables
>>
File: 1447508453861.jpg (144 KB, 461x504) Image search: [Google]
1447508453861.jpg
144 KB, 461x504
>look at me I am an intellectual for pointing out silly things that happen in a shitty space fantasy movie made for kids and teens

hello redditor fucking shits
now get out
>>
>>64108662
Why don't they just go to the system they want to destroy and take away the sun? Why do they have to fire it at all?
>>
>>64108737
>it doesn't have to make sense and have suspension of disbelief because it's set in le spehs xD
Fucking end yourself.
>>
>>64108737
>JUST TURN OFF YOUR BRAIN
>>
>>64108366
Just some planets they pulled out of their ass. Created some lore for the urban looking planet that lasted a few seconds on screen.

But also,

>5 liveable planets all right next to each other
>planet weapon that can travel between stars to absorb them and shoot them

How does starkiller base travel light years at a time from star to star, not freeze as soon as it absorbs a star... and then fire heat seeking... lazers at multiple planets... and it takes the beam only seconds to travel to the--

fuck it this movie is insane.
>>
>>64108124

looks like a crusty penis glans
>>
Personally, as an atheist with an IQ over 150 (Trust me, you would feel really bad if you knew how big it was), I just can't see to this current generation of "movies" or films, as I call them, such as the new Star Wars. If you study rocket science just a little bit, you would not be able to stand how fake it is. It's offensive if you ask me, (which you should.)
>>
>>64108825
Trying too hard
>>
File: 4c3.gif (1 MB, 450x234) Image search: [Google]
4c3.gif
1 MB, 450x234
>>64108124
>4 planets destroyed
>none of them were ones that really deserved it
>>
>>64108264
the people who complained about that missed the point entirely and are the same retards who complain about the ewoks, once again missing the point
>>
File: wwhZQYX.png (476 KB, 1440x1262) Image search: [Google]
wwhZQYX.png
476 KB, 1440x1262
>>
>>64108858
Hosnan Prime was the capital of the New Republic and the Republic fleet was apparently on one of the planets too.
>>
>>64108869
what point, reddit?
>>
File: QikwLWr.png (8 KB, 585x111) Image search: [Google]
QikwLWr.png
8 KB, 585x111
>>
Why are they still building these ships? Will we get another one in Star Wars IX?
>>
File: bZ6viHh.png (10 KB, 806x106) Image search: [Google]
bZ6viHh.png
10 KB, 806x106
>>
File: tmMHs2G.png (18 KB, 773x184) Image search: [Google]
tmMHs2G.png
18 KB, 773x184
>>
File: startrek_big_eyed_alien.jpg (15 KB, 420x212) Image search: [Google]
startrek_big_eyed_alien.jpg
15 KB, 420x212
>>64108812
So JJ being a hack just like adding all those aliens onto the Enterprise's bridge like the bitch with the giant eyes whose species has never even been seen in any of the series instead of going with something like andorian?

This is what happens when normies make geek movies for normies. Fuck.
>>
File: 1nCBUT6.png (101 KB, 927x520) Image search: [Google]
1nCBUT6.png
101 KB, 927x520
>>
>>64108273
The projectiles can travel through hyperspace
>>
I could imagine there being a second Death Star. It seem reasonable that the empire would think "fuck it, the Death Star was a good idea, let's make another one, and cover up that hole this time". A third one though, that's 10x bigger and made by a side that's been soundly beaten, all it's leaders dead and is under heavy sanctions? Get the fuck outta here nigga
>>
>Han Solo got killed
>not even a fucking funeral
>>
>>64108273
>Starkiller Base is at least 50 times bigger than a Death Star, but only 4 times more destructive, and it needs to consume a star.
>Seems kind of dumb. Why wouldn't you just have 20+ Death Stars instead?
The Death Star requires a huge structure to be built, while Starkiller base is simply built into an existing planet. It's far more economical, despite the lower efficiency.
>>
>>64109010
>implying he's dead
>>
>>64108990
The second death star was made because of Palpatine. He was determined to show how insignificant the rebellion was. "blew up our death star? we'll just make another even bigger one, no problem"
>>
>>64109010
>They rehashed everything else
>didn't rehash that ending of the dead hero given a fitting send off by being cremated on the alter like Vader and Qui Gon

Can't these idiots get anything right?
>>
was this super death star thing ever mentioned earlier in the story? did it just fucking appear out of nowhere?
>>
>>64109049
Do you complain about rhymes in poetry too?
>>
>>64108398
Just turn off your brain bro :)
>>
>>64108342
Which is hilarious. Remakes / reboots get instant hate, but call it "soft reboot" and nerds give it a pass.
>>
>>64108990

the second works because its a deliberate trap, sheev wanted to lure the entire rebel fleet into a battle they couldn't win and he needed something that was a huge threat but that they believed they could destroy

but then it all backfired because of ewoks or whatever
>>
>>64108177
Just turn off your brain bro
>>
>>64108273
>and it needs to consume a star.
The thing doesn't even need to shoot an energy beams. Seems like destroying a fucking star will give those planets slow death.
>>
Why didn't they put like, a grate over the exhaust port in the original deathstar? Or like, a | : | set of beams to still allow exhaust but not allow a torpedo?
>>
>>64108480

Nice EU fanfiction, nerd. Non of that shit is canon anymore, lmao.
>>
Why didn't they shot right at the Resistence's planet? The Republic would be defenseless anyway, they could destroy it later.
>>
>>64109353
Because
>>
>>64109353
Revealing posession of weapon capable of destroying entire systems would force Republic into entering full-on war with them either way.

Supreme Leader was wise for using it to severely weaken republic before moving to resistance. Using it on resistance first would only mean Republic enters the war anyway only with their entire navy intact.
>>
>>64109353
>The Republic would be defenseless anyway

Pretty sure they say the 'Republic Fleet' was orbiting (and subsequently destroyed) whatever planet the New Republic was on that got blown up, and that the Resistance was a thing because the New Republic didn't want to fight the First Order because of reasons.
>>
Maybe I'm being dumb or just wasn't paying attention, but how could they see the beams on their way to destoy all the planets, what were those planets and how close were they?
>>
>>64108342

>Soft Reboot

Only it isn't at all, all the characters are still there, everything that happened happened, and even the prequels were referenced.
>>
>>64108124
I did find that odd, that destroying 4 planets lacked any emotional impact

Leia was upset when her planet was destroyed in a New Hope (though she seemed to forget about by the time she was rescued)
>>
>>64109424
>because of reasons
I actually kind of like the political situation of TFA.
Its essentialy Europe before the world wars. It explains New Republic's inactivity and ignoring First Order's military buildup.
>>
>>64108427
lol
>>
>>64108398

They'll probably have it has retroactively been planned by Sheev in advanced as his "real" trump card with the Death Star II having been meant as a distraction.

That, or J.J. is a double-hack who has as good a grasp on Star Wars as Bethesda has a grasp on the lore of Fallout when they added Jet to pre-war scenarios.
>>
>>64108124
The Resistance blew up a fucking planet in retaliation. What more do you want?
>>
>>64109422
If the Republic has its own fleet, what's the use of the the Resistance? What are they resisting?
>>
>>64108883

It was something Jorge Jabrus made up so he didn't have to kaboom Coruscant.

Now that it's gone, they have an excuse to promote it "back" into the Republic capital world.
>>
>>64109485
It's because we never even hear about these four planets at all until right before they're blown up.

At least in ANH, they keep talking about Alderaan. The first half of the film is spent trying to get to Alderaan, then it's blown up. So at least there's some context.
>>
>>64109575
I think the Resistance is an independent group that focuses on fucking up imperial remnants, being independent keeps the Republic from being kept out of a war (lot of good that did)
>>
>>64109487

I said 'because reasons' because it really wasn't explored, i think there was like, one offhanded piece of dialogue about it.

The implication was the 'First Order' are the remnants of the Empire that probably signed some treaties with the republic after the tide of the war turned allowing them to keep some of their planets and army but answer to the new Republic Senate, the Resistance is probably Leia and all the other hardline rebels who refuse to trust the people they spent so long fighting exist outside of the republic sphere.

I do think a lot of the possible intrigue has been lost because the New Republic is basically flat out destroyed by the end of the first movie though.
>>
>>64108398
First Order is Nazi Germany.
Despite being left weakened and essentialy a rump state after WW1, they managed to build army much more threatening and sizeable than that of German Empire. And that was despite the economy being in ruins.

Also, thinking of it, Starkiller might not be that much more expensive than Death Stars.Building weapon into the planet's surface could arguable be simpler than building moon-sized weapon for scratch.

>>64109575
Jesus christ...
New Republic does not want to go into the war with First Order because that would mean breaking the peace treaties. They would be seen as warmongers. But more importantly they do not see First Order as threat. Much like Britain and France inored German military buildup after 1933.

The Resistance is force founded by Leia because she believes that First Order is indeed a threat. And thanks to her prominent position in the Republic she was able to secure cover funding from the Republic. Officialy Republic does not support the resistance.

Think of the situation as mix of interwar appeasment of Germany and one of numerous Cold War proxy wars.
>>
>>64108124
>>no one cares
JJ abrams doesn't care either.
He just wants to blow planets up as a cheap attempt to get the audience to care.
>>
>>64109160
The point is it was a slow death from far away, everyone is going to notice you building one of these in your own solar system
>>
>>64108124

I find it much more amazing how they were able to gather the resources to build the damn thing without anyone fucking noticing, how the fuck did they just blow up 4 planets without literally anyone seeing it coming. Bravo Republic.
>>
>>64109645
>I do think a lot of the possible intrigue has been lost because the New Republic is basically flat out destroyed by the end of the first movie though.
Not really. The senate and large part of the navy are. But nuking washington and sinking the pacific fleet does not equal destruction of USA.

I'd say that in the next movie we'll get to see the full on war between republic and the first order. Sure the implication is 'lol republic is gone now k' but judging from the way they handled the political situation in new canon, disney is capable of portraying it realistically and believably. I mean iirc the new 'EU' and movies are closely connected so its possible that the same will apply to the filmmakers, right?
>>
>>64109648
This is not that much like the Cold War. They were fighting proxy wars because they were afraid if they went directly it could ignite a nuclear war. In Star Wars the fear of death stars should be enough to put any government into action to stop the creation of one, as the Empire showed before they had no quals about using them.
>>
>>64109256

Except it's in the movies retard.
>>
>>64108177
And somehow this is more over the line that objects of mass being able to move faster than light, beams of light that stop at a fixed point instead of going on until stopped by an opaque object, people being able to move objects and shoot lightning out of their hands via space magic, and ghosts.
>>
>>64109786
Fair point. Guess i could argue that much like interbellum western governments, new republic was naive and misjudged the first order.

However are we even sure the new republic knew about first order's plans to build the starkiller?
For all we knew the republic and resistance did find out about only after it was basically completed.
The republic's line of thought could be 'Well sending our navy there would mean that they WILL use it. So let's just rev up the support to resistance a bit and perhaps they will not.'

Writing this actually makes me wondering if the resistance could have just been red herring in attempt force first order to focus on it instead of on the republic.
>>
You autists will complain about everything!

Regarding the prequels it was like
>Bwaaaaaahhhh, they talk too much about politica and economics. Star Wars is about a simple story, I don't care about some fake political shenanigans.

Now it's like
>Bwaaaaaah, they don't give us enough informations about the political background.
>>
>>64109932
>However are we even sure the new republic knew about first order's plans to build the starkiller?
I'm guessing they did not. But it doesn't really matter, because anyone sane would try to extinguish any sort of remains of the Empire at all costs. They build not one but two death stars, odds were they would do it don't you think.

The Resistance doesn't have any real reason to exist unless the Republic meant to let the Empire continue to exist.
>>
>>64109655
Why should we care if apparently you can build your own planet with blackjack and hookers under 30 years?
>>
>>64110015
the first compliant was by reddit/Redditlettermedia
the second was by actual star wars fans
>>
>>64110015

Only plebs complained about space politics and economics. The problem with the prequels is that the space politics and economics made no sense. JJ has that in common with George.
>>
File: stein.jpg (100 KB, 590x749) Image search: [Google]
stein.jpg
100 KB, 590x749
>stopping light mid-air
>>
>>64110075
And again, i could bring up the interbellum Europe. Germany started world war that killed millions and nearly destroyed Europe, yet noone did anything when they started rapidly rearming and spouted openly jingoistic rhetoric.

New Republic did not want to risk sparking another galaxy-wide war.

From what they know, the imperial remains were peace abiding state that was obeying the peace treaties for three decades now. Sure, they are rebuilding their military but by attacking we would destroy the galactic peace we fought so hard for.

Republic probably believed (and First Order likely claimed) that Death Stars were projects of the Emperor and Tarkin so there is no need to worry about fearing that ever again.
>>
>>64108124
>17 trillion people die in an instant

>WHERES REY?
>>
File: PlanetaryBombardment-SWGTCG.jpg (554 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
PlanetaryBombardment-SWGTCG.jpg
554 KB, 1600x1200
>>64108124

I don't understand the need for horrendously expensive and huge fucking targets just to destroy a planet.

A capital ship can easily wreck a planet if it gets in range. Just load her with nukes or whatever the star wars equivalent is, and it can quickly wipe out every major population center on a planet.
>>
>>64110225
Psychological warfare anon
>>
>>64110225
First Order lacks the numerical superiority of the Empire. Starkiller was capable of destroying entire systems across half of the galaxy.

They needed weapon to rekt republic without having to wage lenghty war with them. Sure they could build tons of capital ships, but to utilize them effectively they would have to reach the core worlds and defeat republic's navy first.

This way, they dealt the first strike, crippled republic's navy and destroyed their leadership in one action.

From the strategical point of view, even considering it was destroyed after firing once, it was probably a good investment. remember, we dont know if it was that much more expensive than death stars - its weapon built into planet's surface as opposed to constructing moon sized battle station from a scratch

Also the psychological effect. Weapon capable of destroying planets from across the galaxy? That's the shit.
>>
>>64110293

>planet blows up and you're dead
>every fucking city blows up and you're still dead
>>
>>64108264
Literally everything was just a rehash of the last movies except with even less effort put into it. I was so excited to see what story they would come up with given the kick ass Star Wars universe and we get the same old bullshit as last time.
>>
>>64110225
>why build nukes when you can just send bunch of bombers carrying regular ordnance to do the job
>>
>>64108124
They were all planets in the prequels (Naboo, Coruscant, ect.). Everybody was secretly happy.
>>
>>64110323
See it like this: You can either invade Hiroshima and kill every single habitat and put the city to the torch or you can drop an a-bomb. Both options accomplish basically the same thing, but one option will get Japan to wet his pants and surrender?
>>
I'm really worried that because of the "too much politics" criticisms of the prequels they are going to shy away from any kind of world building outside of the experiences of the main characters. I definitely would not mind a few senate scenes or at least some exposition as to the relationship between the Imperial Remnant and the New Republic.
>>
>>64108177
ahahahah whats up you weak nerd? whats up reddit? fucked any girls lately hahahahhaha reddit? fucking dweeb you get out alot ahahahha. reddit? you there?
>>
>>64110225
I don't think they know how to split the atom in the Star Wars universe. It doesn't seem like they would have the incentive to work out how to do it either.
>>
>>64108124
They cared enough to blow the starkiller base up you moron.
>>
>>64110413
>Republic and First order are not in war
>Republic supports Resistance that is in war with First Order
It might not semm like much, but tbqh you can really guess what their relationship is like.
>>
>>64110413
Except Star Wars always has been and is about the characters relationship with each other. Extended political scenes is boring nerd shit. Following the advice of nerds is exactly what Lucas did wrong with the prequels.
>>
>>64110456
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nuclear_bomb
I don't know how much of this is canon anymore.
>>
>>64108273

just turn off your brain bro
>>
>>64110491
This.
I like the world building, but that's what the EU is about. Movies are about characters in that world.
>>
>>64110491
Yeah, but besides Kylo Ren and Poe Dameron these characters are for the most part awful, so we as well get some (well executed) boring nerd shit to salvage things.
>>
>>64109648
Okay, this backstory is fucking bullshit. They're at peace officially even though one of them was building a giant death star? Lol. You can't exactly hide the existence of a weapon that's the size of a planet.

But apparently they managed to keep it a secret until they blew up an entire system with it. It only took the resistance a couple of minutes of looking at a schematic to figure out how to destroy it though, and luckily all it took to get down the shield was a gun to the head of the person in the control room, so that way the two dozen x wings they brought could blow the whole thing up. It's just so fucking stupid on so many fucking levels.
>>
>>64109454
you don't understand what soft reboot means, do you?
>>
>>64110543
>Okay the interbellum Europe is fucking bullshit. France and Germany are at peace officially even though one of them is building a giant army? Lol.
>>
>>64110178
You're pretty fucking stupid if you think blasters fire light. Light travels at light speed you moron, you wouldn't be able to see a beam moving from the gun and traveling.
>>
>>64110566
Yeah, but imagine if Germany was developing nuclear weapons instead of just rebuilding its army and chipping away at smaller bordering countries.
>>
this movie was dumbed down to appeal the millenials, women a and dindu minorities audiences.

holy shit it was bad
>>
>>64110319
I don't understand how destroying a system would wreck the republic. Wasn't the original republic like thousands of planets strong? What happened to that? Now the republic is just one system?
>>
>>64110683
They destroyed bulk of their navy and their governing body. It did not destroy the republic, but it was a strategic success.
>>
>>64110606
They fire lasers. Laser = "L"ight "A"mplification by "S"timulated "E"mission of "R"adiation. They're just operating on movie physics and to be fair it would be very boring if Star Wars guns were just more powerful laser pointers.
>>
I've seen so many Death Star parodies I can't even take that new one seriously
>>
>>64110659
Republic likely did not know about the starkiller until it was too late. Keep in mind they built it in the unmapped regions, far from the Republic's intelligence.
>>
>>64110730
They fire plasma.
>>
>>64110683
Nah. All those other planets still exist. They just dont have a single capable starfighter between them as it was all lumped in the hosnian system that got blowed up.
>>
>>64109854
Pretty much.

It's not a hard nor an illogical concept to understand that Magic will always get a free pass.
>>
>>64110683
The capital of the Republic is on Hosnan Prime instead of Coruscant for some reason, I guess they didn't want to show a location so prominent in the prequels, but if they had shown Coruscant getting rekt there would have been a much bigger emotional impact on the audience.
>>
Say what you want about Lucas' film-making abilities but at least his story was legit.

Ep VII was just a clusterfuck of recycled ideas
>>
>>64110566
These aren't even close to being equivalent. This is a giant hole in the story and you know it.
>>
>>64110758
I am guessing that portion of their navy still exists. Even demilitarised republic would not be stupid enough to have 100% of their military located in one spot. I am guessing its more like 80% or so.

>>64110776
Elaborate. The political situation is one of the few things that makes sense.
>>
>>64110746
> Unmapped regions
Fuck disney for this retcon so much
>>
>>64110730
No, they don't. Stop being wrong, it makes you look like a moron.
>>
>>64110749
>A blaster was any type of ranged weapon that fired bolts of intense light energy. They came in a variety of sizes and shapes, including blaster pistols, heavy blaster pistols, and blaster rifles.[1] Blaster artillery could also be mounted on droids[2] and vehicles.[3]
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blaster
This is listed as canon, so inb4 >fan fiction
>>
>>64108959
>like the bitch with the giant eyes whose species has never even been seen in any of the series

That looks like a real last minute job. "Shit we need another alien for this scene. Quick. Just make that extras eyes bigger or something."

Star Trek and Star Wars have the laziest, stupidest looking alien creatures in big budget cinema.
>>
>another one, another one, another one

DJ Khaled commenting about the new death star
>>
>>64110807
Blaster bolts are made of plasma, not light.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Blaster

>Blasters are a considerable improvement over the archaic laser design. Instead of a coherent beam of light, the blaster fired a compressed, focused, high-energy particle-beam that is very destructive, commonly referred to as a "bolt". (Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary)
>>
>>64110758
I actually wonder about that. The only canon post ep6 novel says they Republic demilitarized and decentralized so I guess it's quite possible all the member plants have a smaller fleet of their own.
>>
What if the previous war (between vi and vii) was so catastrophic that even multiple planets being destroyed at once constitutes as nothing more than you regular carpet bombing raid?
>>
>>64108750

Because it would be boring without lasers :^)
>>
>>64108124
they even destroyed Coruscant the capital and nobody said anything
>>
>>64108124
>they blow up 4 planets
>THEN they decide to blow the resistance home planet

What? Did they not know where it was and then learned about it like 10 minutes after? Was anything said about this in the movie?

Also was there 2 fucking suns in that solar system so it could fire twice?

Was I just supposed to shut my brain off?
>>
>>64108882

Good point but you're still weeaboo scum, m8.
>>
>>64110982
We know exactly what happened after VI.
and you are wrong

>>64111008
you also are wrong

>>64111019
see
>>64110319
>>
>>64111019
>>64111039

fuck wrong post, meant c >>64109422
>>
>>64108978

Autism must be a miserable thing to have.
>>
>>64111008
It was Hosnan Prime, not Coruscant. It makes no sense that Coruscant wouldn't be the capital but I guess they didn't want to trigger anybody's prequel PTSD by showing it.
>>
In episode 8 will they destroy 10 planets at once?
>>
>>64111105
kek
but i guess new republic wanted to distance itself from both the empire and corruption ridden old republic?
>>
>>64109648
>New Republic does not want to go into the war with First Order because that would mean breaking the peace treaties. They would be seen as warmongers. But more importantly they do not see First Order as threat. Much like Britain and France inored German military buildup after 1933.
>The Resistance is force founded by Leia because she believes that First Order is indeed a threat. And thanks to her prominent position in the Republic she was able to secure cover funding from the Republic. Officialy Republic does not support the resistance.
>Think of the situation as mix of interwar appeasment of Germany and one of numerous Cold War proxy wars.

I literally just watched the movie and at no point was this explained. It makes sense and is probably correct but it just seems like they meant to explain this the scene ended up on the cutting room floor. I guess that's what happens when you try and put every important plot even from the OT into one movie and jam a bunch of new characters with no time for development into it as well.
>>
>>64108124

How is it possible I watched this shitty movie yet failed to notice that even one planet was destroyed?
>>
>>64111259
It is not explained in the movie (although lot of people guessed and figured it out on their own) but its in the new canon novels and shit.
>inb4 eu
well unlike lucasarts that was just handling out licenses left and right, the new canon EU is closely linked with the movie production and its' purpose is to actually develop the movie's universe unlike the old EU's 'lets just write fanfiction that does not contradict movies'. And i think that's okay. I mean all the world building in prequels was nice, but original trilogy was about the characters in said world. So movies should deal with the characters and stories while world buildin should be the responsibility of the EU.
>>
>>64111349
ah ok, I'm reticent to touch the new EU because 95% of the old stuff was mary sue garbage written by hacks.
>>
>>64110319

So it was a successful Pearl Harbor attack then.
>>
>>64111120
>They destroy the whole galaxy
>They have to relocate to ours
>They set up shop on Earth
I am confident they are retarded enough to actually do this.
>>
>>64111399
Exactly. I love some old EU stories, but they literally were just licensed fan fiction. The new movies are being created with new EU in mind and vice verse.

Obviously this will change and EU will degenerate into the same shit that old EU inevitably became because Disney are fukken jews just like lucasarts were. But for now, new EU is as canon and reliable as movies are.

>>64111408
Exactly, with the added benefit of wiping out the washington as well.
>>
>>64111448
It'd still be better than X-Wings destroying Death Stars four and five.
>>
>>64110890
>keys to the Sith they don't want you to have
>>
How were they able to see the laser beams travelling across the sky and the subsequent explosions?

Aren't they literally light years apart?
>>
>>64111551
space magic
>>
Why was Kylo Ren bleeding during the duel at the end? Aren't blaster wounds instantly cauterized like with lightsabers?
>>
File: adf.jpg (14 KB, 502x417) Image search: [Google]
adf.jpg
14 KB, 502x417
>>64111580
>mfw according to the star wars wikia, Hosnian system is located in the Core of the galaxy, and the resistance base (D'Qar) is based in the Outer Rim
>>
>>64111594

No.
>>
>>64111594
Bowcaster is not blaster, its magnetic powered projectile weapon.
>>
>>64111628
What's wrong with that? It wouldn't make much sense if the resistance was located outside of imperial territory.
>>
>>64110906
I ctrl f'd plasma and literally found it nowhere in there. Are you retarded?
>>
>>64111666
see >>64111551
>>
this movie makes you dumber
>>
File: 1359518704500.gif (2 MB, 380x259) Image search: [Google]
1359518704500.gif
2 MB, 380x259
>>64111628
It took Rey longer to walk up some rocky steps than take off, reach orbit, jump to lightspeed, travel to an unmapped region of the galaxy, exit hyperspace, enter orbit and land.
>>
>>64108124
It's made by Disney, what did you expect?
>>
>>64108457
>not knowing it has the universes best a/c with ice cube maker function
but anon its gotta cool the coils n shit
>>
>>64111666
He's saying that the beam firead across half of galaxy at lower than speed of light speed.

probably, we have no idea how that shit works
>>
Does anybody else feel like Lucas did a much better job of picking out cool aliens? I mean ffs that Simon Pegg "ONE QUARTER RATION" guy looked like a direct rip-off of those egg-headed warlike aliens from Doctor Who. Whatever species Maz was supposed to be was boring and not altogether that Star Wars-y either, too.
>>
>>64111816

this is not a star wars movie anon
>>
>>64111816
I agree anon, the fact that they didn't have the balls to give any speaking roles to non-cgi alien characters just shows how fucking gay this movie really is
>inb4 Chewbacca
>>
>>64111689
the ending ruined the movie for me
>>
>>64111900
>they didn't make a giant muppet for Snoke
>>
>>64108177

it's star wars.

why do they have drag flaps on spaceships in space and why do they maneuver like aircraft in Earth's atmosphere.

You are a faggot.

Who fucking cares.
>>
>>64111945
>just turn your brain off bro
>>
>>64110543
lol m8 I think you'll find the galaxy is a pretty fuckin big place. Find a random planet out in the middle of nowhere, turn it into a giant sun shooter thing no ones the wiser.
>>
>>64111675
Are you retarded? The bolts are far too slow to be lasers (which move in the speed of light). According to Wookiepedia, blasters shoot out bolts of particle energy.
>>
>>64111987
No but it makes sense in-universe, it's not hard sci-fi dude. It's a fantasy movie set in space
>>
>>64111675

Anybody who gives a fuck about SW knows that blasters use gas to fire plasma. They are not lasers.

This shit is in every SW book and game.
>>
File: stars.jpg (984 KB, 3048x2000) Image search: [Google]
stars.jpg
984 KB, 3048x2000
>>64108177

Smallest stars are just slightly larger than Jupiter. Largest stars are so ridiculously large it's insane.

Small stars also generate little light which would explain why it was an ice planet.

Oh, and soon we will be sending a probe 0.034 Au from our star.

Yes, it's 100% possible.
>>
>>64111717
>He's saying that the beam firead across half of galaxy at lower than speed of light speed.
Hyperspace shooting?
>>
>>64108124
holy CGI batman. I thought thought said they were incorporating props too? shit looks awful.
>>
>>64110225

Important planets have shield generators.

Remember Hoth? They had a shield that would "withstand any kind of orbital bombardment". In SW lore if a planet has 2 or more powerful shield generators it's impossible to assault it. They either try to get a spec ops team there to disable the shield or use this:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Torpedo_Sphere
>>
>>64109854
Because all those are small scale.

Planets are fucking huge, and stars are to planets what we are to planets
>>
If they know how to remotely destroy several planets at once, wouldn't it seem strange if this capability wouldn't be used again? Any government or organisation with sufficient funds could do this. Shouldn't the Resistance or at least one pro-republic or anti-first order faction built a similar weapon at least for deterrence?
>>
>>64109256
Tha're a soft cunt you aren't tha lad.
>>
>>64110413

They didn't.

I'm actually surprised because the political stuff is good. It was not in the movie because 20 minutes of explaining this shit in a 2:30 hours long movie was completely unnecessary.

Go read some of the lore articles.

>Following another year of bloody conflict, the fractured Empire would make its last stand over the sandy wastes of Jakku against the New Republic, resulting in high casualties on both sides. Defeated and facing severe internal unrest, the Empire would be forced to sign the Galactic Concordance, severely limiting its ability to wage war and ushering in its transformation into a mere rump state.
>With the Empire limited in its ability to wage war and reduced to a mere fragment of its former glory, Imperial warships began jumping into the Unknown Regions in an effort to escape the prying eyes of the New Republic. There, distanced from the galaxy at large and facing a vast and unexplored frontier, the First Order would eventually be formed from the remnants of the Old Empire, being inspired by the principles of the fallen government and led by former officers of the Empire.
>For the three decades after Endor, the First Order would largely escape galactic attention, with many in the New Republic Senate believing that it posed no real threat to the galaxy at large, with Chancellor Lanever Villecham arguing there was no need for concern as long as it adhered to the dictates of the Galactic Concordance. Despite this, the Order blatantly defied the accords by ushering in the mass mobilization of superior stormtrooper forces, along with violating Republic bans on the sale of weaponry to the First Order and its rules governing capital ships. Testing the resolve of the New Republic, small skirmishes would occasionally erupt between the First Order and Republic, all while the Starkiller operation would seek a suitable planet for implementation.
>>
>>64110319
>remember, we dont know if it was that much more expensive than death stars
That defined belt carved into the planet would require them to move a lot more material than either death star. The star sucking bit is as beg as a death star.

Death stars were relatively simple, big reactor, big laser
>>
>>64111717

They called it a hyperspace weapon in the movie. It fires a beam through hyperspace.

Which actually also explains why they could see that beam light years away.
>>
>>64112441
oh, okay.
>>
>>64112438

Yeah, I'm sure a reactor the size of a moon is cheap and easy to build.

It's very possible that Starkiller is actually much cheaper than Death Stars.
>>
>>64108177

they mustve had some sort of thermal oscillator though you dingus
>>
>>64108124

And the world just fucking watched
>>
>>64110205
Literally this
>>
>>64108317
The Resistance doesn't have a super weapon. What motivation would there be to make a treaty?

Actually dueling Death Stars might have made for a more interesting plot.
>>
>>64112403
I love the fact the First Order managed to design and build an entire new class of capital ship in the Resurgent class Star Destroyer, while in hiding and then Starkiller. Speaks to their tenacity and hatred of the Republic/Resistance.
>>
>>64109042
He made it as bait to draw them out into a final showdown. In the novelization, when the battle was lost and Palpatine dead, the remaining officers tried to go for a Double KO by blowing up Endor at point blank range.
>>
>>64108264
>>64108348
>>64108424
>ITT: I'm superior to the average movie goer because I notice the economic and logistical errors in science fiction made to grab the imagination of the world

boy i sure envy your quick wit and superior intellect :^)
>>
>>64109241
Because they didn't think things through? When it was designed there was no rebellion and only Jedi pilots were typically that skilled.
>>
>>64109241
>>64112624
you always put at least one flaw in incase of capture.

sheev thinks of everything
>>
>>64109429
Rule of cool.
>>
>>64112497
>Yeah, I'm sure a reactor the size of a moon is cheap and easy to build

The reactor isn't that big, its just the center of the station

Compared to the dark side matter bullshit that sucks up a sun millions of miles away and then converts it to a faster than light laser.

Plus, the whole OG death star is only as big as that aperture on the starkiller.

>>64112441
You can't see shit in hyperspace.
>>
if you just learn a bit about rocket science, you will instantly recognize the trivial nonsense that "star wars" is made of
1/10 circus for the masses
>>
>>64111318
Because you paid $15 so you could sit there and play with your fucking phone.
>>
>>64112600

Attempting to explode Endor is actually a deleted scene in RotJ.
>>
>>64112689
wait so your saying you cant kill people with your mind?
>>
File: Deathstar_blueprint.jpg (413 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
Deathstar_blueprint.jpg
413 KB, 550x550
>>64112670

Please explain to us how Hyperspace works mr. Hyperspace expert.

Seriously, it's space science magic.

And no, Death Star is literally a giant reactor.
>>
>>64108342

It sure was, George.

You piece of shit
>>
>>64112770
shit naw bro. of course you can. i've seen it happen. the space battles and character politics are hogwash, though.
>>
>>64112772
Hyperspace take precise calculations, it can't go through stuff LIKE HAN'S FREIGHTER'S HANGAR DOOR and its not visible to observers.

As for the DS, that's more than just the reactor, its obvious there are auxiliary systems, the super laser, exhaust ports, fuel storage, propulsion.

Its still less material and fewer components than making the fuckhuge trench in the planet that's obvious from beyond orbit.

Starkiller is massive compared to the small moon death star, even though it's not purely made of metal, it'd still consume more material and labor to make
>>
>>64108909
>no medium
>what is the force
dumb nerd
>>
>You should know I'm a big deal in the Resistance, which puts a real target on my back. Are there any conspirators here? Like First Order sympathizers?
> Listen, "big deal". You got another problem. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>64108124
"…well, I care!"
>>
>>64108124
I GOT MORE FEELS FROM THIS TRAILER 2BH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzq9epS2b1A
>>
>>64115356
same, fuck TFA
>>
>>64108124

>base drains the sun to destroy some planets
>when the sun is drained then what?

you just spent all of the empires credit on a planet-size base that you can't use more than twice.

and don't tell me they just hyperspace to the next sun because how much energy would they need to move a fucking planet.

plus, once the sun is drained the whole planet is out of heat and everyone in there dies.

BRAVO JJ
>>
>>64108124
One million deaths is a tragedy. one billion is a statistic.
>>
>>64109648

Thank you for being able to explain the politic side of TFA. None of my friends understood what the hell was going on and I couldn't explain it to them in a way they could understand.
>>
File: neil ty the black science guy.jpg (86 KB, 650x560) Image search: [Google]
neil ty the black science guy.jpg
86 KB, 650x560
>>64112441

>Which actually also explains why they could see that beam light years away.
>Seeing Light from the explosion
>When it happened
>From Planets Light YEARS away

Just say turn off your brain.
>>
>>64116137
If something cool in a movie happens, we get to see it m8
>>
they had a chance to give this an empire like ending where nobody really wins

>fuck ton of planets destroyed
>han solo dead
>ton of resistance fighters dead
>finn is knocked unconscious, in bad shape
>everyone returns to the rebel base
>chewie embraces with leia
>rey sets off to find luke

would have literally been a 10/10 ending, but this will never happen in a big blockbuster unfortunately.
>>
>>64115947

Hello reddit
>>
>>64109648

Dude, what?

It's not like Nazi Germany after the German Empire.

It's more like neo-nazis after the nazis.

Do you think the Brits, the Americans and the Soviets would have left a bunch of neo-nazi ginger teenagers build a bunch of mega nuclear weapons that could have erased them from the map after WW2?

Those mega nuclear weapons being the size of Berlin?

It just didn't make sense at all.
>>
>>64111318
>Giant red beam streaking across the screen and splitting up at the end to target the planets.

Do you have some kind of diagnosed mental deficiency?
>>
>>64116171

We did see it, they showed the impact in the honsian system, but the scene where they see it from the green pub planet is what I describing.

I still really liked this movie
>>
>>64108427
>>
>>64116243
Did you watch the movie?
The fleet of the Republic, their leaders, their capital, and their whole administrative apparatus destroyed.
The First Order/imperial Remnant had their Wunderwaffe destroyed together with shitloads of other craft.
>>
>>64109010
It's not like Obi Wan got one in A New Hope
>>
>>64108124
Wait, 4 planets? Wasn't it just a planet and its moons?
>>
>>64111689
It wasn't unmapped, they just missed the part of the map that had the endpoint of Luke's travel route.
>>
>>64108124

20k people die due to poverty every day. Do you care?

Do you care when 5 thousand people die in some city in Africa?
>>
>>64110178
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23925-light-completely-stopped-for-a-record-breaking-minute/
>>
>>64116420

When you think about it the entire Starkiller thing was actually a New Order victory.

They destroyed the most important planet in the Republic and their Senate. Along with most of their fleet.
>>
>>64108750
Because they want to be far enough so they cannot stop it.
Draining a star takes time, shooting the beam across hyperspace does not.
Do you even Blitzkrieg?
>>
>>64116451
Yes, I do.
>>
>>64116444
>Wasn't it just a planet and its moons?
We don't know because the movie doesn't tell us.

All it needed was a scene in Leia's control room when people start screaming out: "Hosnian Prime just went dead!"
>"Report coming in that BiggusDikkus XVII was hit"
>"We can't get Rumplefuck VonArseholder to respond"
>"Oh no... They're wiping out the seats of the republic government!"
>>
>>64116516
It was. I liked that the Empire isn't as incompetent as in the previous movies.
And Phasma will turn out to be a Republic spy in the next movie to explain why she willingly shut down the shields so quickly.
>>
>>64108124
went and saw it on christmas yesterday, no joke clapping broke out in the theater at the end.

I even joined in

t. American
>>
>>64108424
I don't understand politics at all and prefer when they skip over that in the movies.
>>
>>64116137

If that thing sends a beam through hyperspace it also sends photons around through hyperspace. So yes, it's entirely possible they saw it.
>>
>>64108779
>doesn't know what fantasy is
>>
>>64116546

Congrats. 99.99% of humanity don't give a fuck.
>>
>>64108424
>fundamental politiclal realities
Fuck politics, what about logistics?
>>
>>64116616
>it also sends photons around through hyperspace
Do you have any idea how little sense that makes?
>>
Call me autistic, fedora, etc. I don't even give a shit but I cannot even enjoy or watch Star Wars anymore because of all the stupid ass incorrect "science." I know that technically Star Wars isn't a science fiction series, but honestly, I just cannot fucking stand how the writers take so little into account when they are writing this shitshow. I mean honestly, there is just so much stupid shit spawned from the mind of George Lucas that has continued in this series, but the new bullshit in TFA are probably some of the worst offenders.

First, let's start with the fact that TFO, which is a shell of what the empire was, somehow built something far more massive and impressive than anything the Empire ever built. This super weapon "consumes" stars (kek, nice writing JJ) and fires sub-light energy beams that are somehow able to travel faster than light to star systems that are thousands, if not tens of thousands of light years away from it in the core worlds.

Then there's the spaceshits still fucking flying through a vacuum like airplanes in an atmosphere. This one probably makes me the most angry, but I can understand why they couldn't just re-write George's already standard space combat retardation, as Star plebs would be incredibly upset by this.
>>
>>64109049
Whatever Han fell into probably cremated him on the spot
>>
>>64116711

More than space magic?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.