[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Concussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: concussion.jpg (481 KB, 1382x2048) Image search: [Google]
concussion.jpg
481 KB, 1382x2048
Are we allowed to talk about movies that aren't Star Wars yet?

Just saw pic related, was pretty gud. Actually made me look up CTE, didn't even know that was a thing before this movie. And Will Smith was amazing, could barely even recognize him.

What did /tv/ think?
>>
why does his face look so different?
>>
>>64103434
Cause he isn't meme acting and is actually doing something serious
>>
>inb4 nigga nigga nigga nigga nigga
>>
OP, you are being fed propaganda.

The players knew of the damages of multiple shots at the head and they still played. The NFL is not wrong in any way they handled the situation
>>
Not a bad looking movie, but I don't understand why they couldn't of gotten a real African actor instead of having Cypher Raige do a silly fake accent.
>>
>>64103411
>didn't even know that was a thing before this movie

what world have you been living in for the past 5 years?

shit just wait until they make a movie about domestic violence, youll go nuts
>>
>>64103411
Did he fall into a bag of cheetos or something?
>>
>>64103630

Can't it be wrong to use someone as a means to an end by coercing them with money and fame? I'm not saying football players can't make rational choices but I feel that there are plenty of valid ethical systems where encouraging people to do dangerous shit for money is still wrong.
>>
>>64103411
>Are we allowed to talk about movies that aren't Star Wars yet?

NO
>>
Was this the guy that made football leaguestransition from leather beanies to polycarb and foam helmets?
Or were niggers fucking retarded to think an "impact" sport wasn't going to take a toll on their lives and get this true story doctor/lawyer to bitch at the Man to turn their average 6 digit checks into 7 digit checks?
>>
>>64103833
>Or were niggers fucking retarded to think an "impact" sport wasn't going to take a toll on their lives and get this true story doctor/lawyer to bitch at the Man to turn their average 6 digit checks into 7 digit checks?

take a guess.
>>
>>64103630
hi, rooney
>>
>>64103833
>implying niggers are the only players in the NFL
>>
>>64103895
Well, I haven't watched hand egg in over a decade or two. My only knowledge of football players is their faces next to news blurbs about so and so player beating their wife, shooting someone, shooting themselves, or running a dog fighting ring. They all seemed to be niggers then.
>>
>>64104069
>implying them niggers got whut they deserved
>implying a six figure salary means one waives their rights to representation, healthcare or further contract negotiation
>revealing not even a basic understanding of business law but rather a head filled with nigger soundbites courtesy of big media
>>
>>64103630
Hi, Roger. Way to handle Bountygate and Deflategate and various other -gates. Christina Applegate's tits.
>>
>>64103411
>Actually made me look up CTE, didn't even know that was a thing before this movie.
Chronic traumatic encephalopathy was discovered well before Dr. Omalu was even born, he's a hack thats cashing in on the NFL through medical "awareness" and lawsuits. Seriously, International Football (soccer) has more incidents of CTE every year than football.
>>
>>64103779
No, because that "money and fame" is compensation for a service, a service with dangers the players know going in as they've played the sport since they were fucking children.
>>
>>64104143
Cultural enrichment sure worked overtime on summerfaggotry.
I've had a white homeless man offer me a blowjob for a buck twenty five with a straight face. Someone making six figures should have as much of a stiff upper lip for what their American dream lifestyle brings.
>>
Is this a fucking /pol/ thread? Didn't think so. Go back to crying about blacks and jews on your own board.

>>64104439
>Every child that plays football makes it to the NFL

Goddamn, you're retarded
>>
File: 400350000.jpg (16 KB, 367x388) Image search: [Google]
400350000.jpg
16 KB, 367x388
>>64104616
>The NFL should be responsible for pop warner, little league, school, and college game safety
>>
>>64104642
It has to be if it wants to survive another 30 years or so. Even current NFL players aren't letter their kids play the game. It's a dying sport unless the game evolves or medicine overcomes CTE
>>
>>64104439

But can people accurately assess risk when faced with consequences decades down the line and offered ridiculous amounts of money? Rational actor theory sort of falls apart under those conditions. I think it's unscrupulous to have a society where people are given that choice. Most plebs can barely handle the concept of not eating too much food, how could you expect them to deal with this?

Yes, they knew the risk, but did the really understand?
>>
>>64104712
>medicine overcomes CTE
It will, medical research is growing exponentially and we are discovering more and more about our health and maintaining it every day.

And those "players" got their paycheck, they don't need to worry about their kids growing up in the streets anymore. There is plenty of NFL caliber talent still playing the games in massive numbers for the opportunity to make a career out of a game. Rookies will never run dry.
>>
>>64104754
Newfriend, don't you have some cause to be occupying for?
>>
>>64103630
We're being fed propaganda, but not like that.

By making it seem like concussions are the big bad scary cause of all the mental issues suffered by veterans of the sport, we play into letting it continue and believing the problem is fixed.

In reality, it's likely that many issues are caused by smaller, non-concussion causing impacts. The sport in inherently dangerous, and making a big deal about concussions (even if it initially looks bad) lets them look like they are fighting to stop it.

All while continuing the sport. Not saying this is wrong or right, just that it is.
>>
>>64105009

Hey I've been on /tv/ since back when it was just a small foot fetishist/nickelodeon show board. I just think ethics isn't so cut and dry.

>niggers are dumb apes
and
>they knew the risks

Aren't even consistent ideas.
>>
>>64104803
>There is plenty of NFL caliber talent still playing the games in massive numbers for the opportunity to make a career out of a game. Rookies will never run dry.

There's not even enough quality QBs to go around. How bad is it going to be when kids don't want to play football in high school and college because of the brain damage?

Medical understanding of CTE is growing, but there isn't much they can do to stop it other than stopping the source which is football.
>>
>>64104754
>Rational actor theory sort of falls apart under those conditions.
Because you say so? Fuck off. The all have agents, so the intelligence that you are convinced these people lack is irrelevant.
>>
File: 1370320139462.jpg (12 KB, 203x200) Image search: [Google]
1370320139462.jpg
12 KB, 203x200
>>64105119
>Supporting rational actor theory in anyway

I wish I was still in highschool
>>
File: 1447913491217.jpg (18 KB, 311x200) Image search: [Google]
1447913491217.jpg
18 KB, 311x200
>>64103411
/sp/ here, it was a good story but it was lazily put together.
>Movie takes place in 2002

>2011 Buffalo Bills helmet on display
>2009 Detroit Lions helmet on display
>Scene at the sports bar when Justin Strzelczyk showing Ben Roethlisberger highlights when he wasn't drafted until 2004
>Highlights from a Jaguars/Eagles game that took place in 2006

Nevermind the fact that Luke Wilson was a terrible Roger Goodell and Paul Tagliabue was reportedly cooperating with Dr. Omalu
>>
How was this even a big deal?
>GUYS SMACKING YOUR HEADS TOGETHER HURTS FOR A REASON
Oh really?
>>
>>64105119

Ah of course! How could I be so dumb? Clearly agents have no conflict of interest between making money in the short run and making sure their clients don't go insane years later, when they might well have a different agent.
>>
>>64104607
I saw a white lady mugged by a white meth addict outside the grocery store. Never once did it occur to me that she knew what she was getting into when she went shopping alone.
>>
>>64105209
Cuz the NFL had a lot of lawyers who denied it
>>
>>64105105
> There's not even enough quality QBs to go around
QBs are among the lowest at risk for concussions. Meanwhile there is an abundance of Wideouts, Defensive backfield, and Linemen coming out of college every year.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/01/12/which-position-suffers-the-most-concussions/

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/10/14/new-harvard-study-concussions-in-the-trenches

The reason there aren't quality QBs is because most NFL teams mismanage the hell out of their franchise. They expect players to perform at top caliber levels straight out of the draft and often bench them when adversity hits. Also most college systems don't play QB at an NFL style offense. Ever notice the amazing running backs that come out of the SEC and how often they carry their teams? Most of them never amount to much once they hit the NFL because the game is entirely different.
>>
>>64105319
Isn't that just common fucking sense?
You only need a very basic understanding of anatomy to get why that wouldn't be good for you.
>>
>>64105209

It was more of a smear campaign against the NFL for covering it up and to raise awareness about the NFL's shady as fuck cover ups
>>
>>64105209
It actually hurts a lot less than most shit football players go through. It's not like you can actually feel your brain smash into your skull.

>>64105355
>Isn't that just common fucking sense?

No. People didn't know about the long term effects until recently
>>
>>64105389
You can feel the symptoms
>>
>>64105355
Common sense is for PUSSIES!

WE'RE TALKIN FOOTBALL SON
>>
>>64105389
How about Muhammad Ali?
That nigger got hit in the head all the time and look at what happened to him.
>>
File: 1450487925561.jpg (50 KB, 396x594) Image search: [Google]
1450487925561.jpg
50 KB, 396x594
>>64105418
>>
>>64105438
There are better examples to use for various reasons but I understand and agree with your point
>>
>>64105096
Ape has the capacity to mourn loss, learn complex gesture based language despite being rooted in moderate vocalization and rudimentary physical displays, and maintain stable groups.

A nigger will gather a large group to, at a 'peaceful' rally, pound on four individuals that are non-melanin doped. Upon seeing these four individuals are armed and fleeing from the situation, will give chase and act surprised that they find themselves shot.
>>
>>64105484
>I understand and agree with your point
Where am I?
>>
>>64105415
Which are almost all short term. The long term effects hadn't been studied and when they were, the NFL tried to cover it up.

>>64105438
And there are plenty of people that never had any long term effects from boxing or football.

You can't use one person to say there is or isn't a problem. Look at smokers claiming their grandma smoked until she was 90 so it doesn't do any damage.
>>
>>64105500
Happy new year motherfucker
>>
>>64103855
>"niggers"
>Well over 70% of CTE-related deaths were Caucasian

White people were the dumb dipshits that thought it was a good idea to slam their head into everything like retarded rhinos.

Black people did the smart thing by simply moving out of the way
>>
>>64103630
You're an actual shill.
>>
>>64105525
As someone who's had multiple diagnosed concussions from contact sports I don't agree that the symptoms are short term. They usually flare up pretty quickly when aggravated, though I suppose this is annecdotal
>>
>>64105568
>Black people did the smart thing by simply moving out of the way
>Shows a gif of yeldon leading with his head at the end of the run
>>
>>64105493
Shut the fuck up. Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72VBkbP5s_o
>>
>>64104754
>I think it's unscrupulous to have a society where people are given that choice.

Yeah, there should be a law against being in the NFL longer than 2 years.

>and if that doesn't work?

There should be a law against roughhousing!

Stop being faggots, either free will exists or it doesn't. Stop trying to apply central planning ideology on personal choice.
>>
>>64105638

What did he say in that post that triggered you? Can you make some sort of argument instead of being so toxic? This is /tv/, not /pol/.
>>
>>64105594
He's bracing with his shoulder.
>>
>>64105638
I have never seen an ape place bets with other apes on whether one dog could bitefuck another dog.
>>
>>64105730
Do you not see him lower his head right as it makes contact with the other helmet?
>>
>>64105700
Could have fooled me. What does nigger ape nigger ape have to do with the conversation about concussions? He's samefagged that shit the whole thread. Whatever though.
>>
File: 1328415822779.jpg (2 MB, 2796x1800) Image search: [Google]
1328415822779.jpg
2 MB, 2796x1800
Are you pretending to be this dense?
>>
>>64105730
Head was the central point of contact
>>
>>64104616

Pro-leaguers have been playing since they were kids..... that's why they're considered non-shit and paid millions for playing.

Seems like you're the retard here, fuck-o
>>
>>64105774

You haven't seen enough football if you think Yeldon is the one leading with his head and not the defender.

>>64105798

Yeldon isn't the one that leads with his head, though. Benwikere is. Yeldon's move is literally a textbook shoulder

No one leads with the side of their god damn helmet, and that's where your "point of contact" is.
>>
>>64105784
Started off as a simple request for clarification on the plot of the movie. Cascade was your lead.
>>
>>64105929
I guess the point is that your image and text combination was very poor.

I'm aware he doesn't intentionally make contact with his head
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.