[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MARY SUE! MARY SUE! MARY SUE!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5
File: S10jLFp.jpg (289 KB, 1200x907) Image search: [Google]
S10jLFp.jpg
289 KB, 1200x907
Why is /tv/ all of a sudden an expert on a term they only heard about 4 days ago.

What a fucking joke this place is.
>>
>Expert

Its pretty simple to understand
>>
File: REALLY.jpg (55 KB, 928x481) Image search: [Google]
REALLY.jpg
55 KB, 928x481
>>64101761
A Mary Sue or, in case of a male, Gary Stu or Marty Stu is an idealized fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through extraordinary abilities. Often but not necessarily this character is recognized as an author insert and/or wish-fulfillment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue
>>
Hello Reddit! Enjoy your stay!

You don't need months of education to understand a concept as simple as 'Mary Sue'. Even less effort is necessary to notice that Rey fits the trope.
>>
>>64101791
>>64102845
No one said shit until Max Landis started saying it, now they're applying it to everything.
>>
>>64102785
The thing that gets me the most about Rey is how everyone is AMAZED by her. Han, Finn, Maz, all of them comment out loud how awesome she is. That is literally May Sues 101.

I don't think Han ever did anything like that with Luke in ANH, except when he earned it by blowing up the Death Star.
>>
>>64101761
>only heard about 4 days ago.

t. started browsing a week ago
>>
>>64102900

Tells luke good job when he hits a tie
>>
I've known what a Mary Sue was since I was ten. Kill yourself OP
>>
File: 1431655510013.png (113 KB, 500x557) Image search: [Google]
1431655510013.png
113 KB, 500x557
>>64101761
calm down Max. Your dads off scot free.
>>
>>64102943
Did he also tell Luke he's amazing and that the Falcon needs a second mate and permanent gunner if he's interested?
>>
>>64102890
Wrong, there were anons who theorized she was a mary Sue before the movie came out and assumed the leaks were true.
>>
Because she IS a Mary Sue.
>>
>>64102900
bro, learn to read between lines
han obviously knew rey from the past, he wasnt amazed at a stranger, he was trying to protect her
>>
>>64102900

> Oh shit she just learned about the ways of the force, she's a real natural.

This shit pissed, in the originals we saw Luke grow as a character

>New Hope: Barely uses saber.

>Empire: uses it, gets his ass handed.

>Jedi: through training and experiences since the first film, finally kicks Vaders ass
>>
>>64103171
This, but fuck it they will still come!
>>
What's C3PO got in his mouth? Death stick?
>>
>>64103401

I just want more Mark Hammil Joker.
>>
>>64103040
You mean Max Landis posting as anons.
>>
>>64103556

Try harder
>>
File: image.jpg (175 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
175 KB, 2000x1333
>>64103481

I heard that shit will fuck you up big time bro. Look at this crazy fuck they just arrested, he was probably sticking big time, or this could just be AJ Soprano.
>>
>/tv/ never used the term Mary Sue until TFA came out

how to spot a redditor
>>
>>64101761
MARY SUE INTERNET DEFENSE FORCE
>>
>>64101761

Rey being more powerful than Ren Kylo makes her a mary sue.

It's going to be relevant to the next part of the story.
>>
>>64101761

I bet the person who made that image is younger than 33. What makes that hilarious is that anyone between the ages of 11 and 33 is a Millennial (the demographic for the generation is birth years from 1982 to 2004), yet 25 year olds moan about how Millennials ruin everything, unaware of the irony that they are themselves Millennials.
>>
>>64104078

>millenials

Speaking of terms nobody knows anything about...
>>
>>64104012
>Rey being more powerful than Ren Kylo makes her a mary sue.
No..
>>
>>64104111

Yeah, I fucking love it. Millennials use the term "Millenial" to mean "anyone younger than me who participates in culture/behavior I dislike." I've never heard someone over the age of 35 use that word to complain about people. For the record, I'm 26, so I am also a Millennial.
>>
>>64104125

pray tell, why not

without using the words self insert or wish fulfilment
>>
shes kathleen kennedy's self insert
>>
>>64104179
kylo ren was injured and in anguish over just killing his father
if kylo was in top form she'd be dead
>>
>>64104390

He's also still in training and kind of sucks due to loads of self-doubt. It's even reflected in his lightsaber, which has a shitty, shaky blade due to poor construction with sub-par materials (the crystal he used got cracked in the process).

What they set up was that Kylo will go complete his training and come back with a new, proper lightsaber, showing that he's stronger than ever before. Then he'll fight Rey again and WIN this time, filling Rey with doubt over herself because she was used to winning with her latent Force intuition but Kylo trained harder and overcame that difference.

Then Rey overcomes that for the final confrontation in the last movie where she succeeds in turning Kylo back to the Light Side to team up against Snoke and dismantle the First Order.
>>
>>64104175
Gen Z and millenials get confused a lot.
>>
>>64104514
If so, they have basically recycled the original story, which is what it seems like so far-Luke=Ren.
>>
File: 1449385278156.jpg (15 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1449385278156.jpg
15 KB, 500x375
>>64101761
>dat passive agressiveness
>dat butthurt angry reply
>because people were not p.c. enough to your reddit circlejerk
>literally too beta to reply them

Are you the Ultimate underaged fag?
>>
>>64102943
He was a good friend
>>
>>64103171

Star Wars is getting the Marvel Movie treatment. Everything has to be bigger, more outrageous! Stopping lasers in mid-air, an even bigger Death Star that can blow up dozens of planets from anywhere in the galaxy and eats stars, a protagonist that can use mind control and other advanced force techniques right out of the gate! Why have a character that needs to learn anything when they can be cool and have all the skills they need right out of the gate? Why require them to earn respect when they can just have it be freely given by the rest of the cast? It's a popcorn movie, who cares? :^)
>>
I want the Disney shills to leave.
>>
>>64103171

I think they just altered the dynamics. Kylo Ren is heading off to complete his training. In the next movie he'll come back stronger and defeat Rey. Then Rey will have to actually try harder to beat him next time, and have a crisis of confidence because she never had to really TRY to use the Force but will have to do so to beat the fully trained Kylo.
>>
I've seen Mary Sue threads on /tv/ for years

what sort of faggot has never heard that term before?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.