[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The butchering of Luke Skywalker's character
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19
Star wars 4-6
>A badass warrior, willing to challenge the largest empire ever
>Fearlessly defeats a rancor, and with no weapon
>Never gives up, even when the situation is hopeless
Star Wars 7
>Ditches rebellion when they need him most
>Hides on a planet, while his weak apprentice goes on killing spree.

Fuck you Jew Jew Adams.
>>
>>64101654
He wasn't hiding. He was looking for the Jedi temple.

This is explicitly stated
>>
Also, how did that helicopter find Luke so easily?
>>
>>64101654
Jedi exile themselves when they fail instead of committing sudoku
>>
>>64101654
>badass warrior
only at the very end
>>
>>64101674
He's working to improve his force ability because he is gunning for Snoke in the next films
>>
Luke thought he failed so he exiled himself they even say this explicitly
>>
>>64101701
this is something i've always wondered about the series
>you'll find what you're looking for on this planet
>character knows exactly what city/settlement to go to on the planet to start looking
>>
>>64101674
That doesn't give him the excuse to let his apprentice go on a 20 year killing spree.
>>
the reworked the plot to make Luke the Mcguffin because they thought having him in the movie would take away from Rey

Originally he would be the guy who met Rey and Finn not Han.
>>
you're really running out of things to bait about, aren't you
>>
How did they fucking build a Stakiller Base without anyone knowing what it fucking did? And How did the Resistance have detailed plans to it?
>>
>>64101760

>tfw Luke will go Kill Bill-tier, wreck Snoke, but call to the dark side doing it

>tfw Rey has to kill him in IX
>>
>>64101716
He took a page out of Yoda's book. The student is just like his master, it's pottery.
>>
>>64101827

This would be dumb as fuck
>>
>>64101808
Covertly.
From Finn the Janitor.
>>
>>64101863

>laughingjarjar.webm
>>
>>64101654
>Biggest fear going in wasn't le ugly black man lead, STRONK WOMYN LEAD XD, or shit story by lens flare jewjew
>Biggest fear was them ruining Luke's legacy as the baddest motherfucker to ever live
>Biggest fear ended up being true
and Rey was a terrible Mary Sue, plus the movie was a like an 85% copy of a new hope

At least Finn ended up being positive for the movie.
>>
>>64101674
Why didn't he just ask Dexter Jettster?
>>
>>64101930
>baddest motherfucker to ever live
Luke was never that and you should kill yourself, powerranger faggot.
>>
>>64101716
"If at first you don't succeed, bail and let other people deal with the fruits of your failure" - Jedi handbook
>>
>>64101654
This whole movie is fucking dumb m8.

>All that effort to destroy the empire in the OT
>The empire and stormtroopers are still around

The bad guys in this new trilogy should've been terrorists and "moderate rebels" attacking planets and cities of the New Republic.

Not only that would've made more sense, but it also would have been more politically relevant.
>>
>>64101943
Says the millennial that started watching the star wars movies with phantom menace a few months ago.
>>
>>64101972
That doesn't even make sense faggot, you're the idiot who wants more "bad ass kung fu" retardation like TPM.
Was blowing yourself the fuck out part of your plan?
>>
>>64101930
Copied new hope without a main plot they wanted to stick with.

It went from character to character with no background.

new Hope had a structure around the death star.

Alderaan was important to the plot, not just for blowing up. Remember thats why they hired Han and Chewy? To fly them there?

You fucking have to read in a book what the fucking name of the planets are they blew up in force awakens. Its a joke to Cinema. It plays on fan boys reading extra shit and exprecting general audiences not to car as they wrap shallow roles with action sequences.
>>
>>64102021
/Thread
>>
>>64102021
>movie has one not-so-great element
>REEEE IT'S INSULTING TO CINEMA REEEEE
babies still crying, salt prices have never been lower
>>
File: gaderffii2.jpg (21 KB, 362x201) Image search: [Google]
gaderffii2.jpg
21 KB, 362x201
>>64101654
>Luke
>badass in episode 4

He was basically a damsel in distress throughout the whole movie.
>>
>>64102099
You suck on your mom's teet with that mouth you fucking nerf heder?
>>
>>64102110
But he grew into a badads, unlike Rey who is pretty much a mary sue.
>>
>>64102099
>movie has one not-so-great element

You see, the problem is that for some people the not-so-great element happens to be the entire plot or the main characters (Rey)

That kinda fucks up your enjoyment of a movie
>>
>>64102143
>grew into a badass
>his big plan for intimidating jabba and rescuing his friends completely fell apart
>his "coolness" was all a desperate mask to keep control
>sheev instantly sees how fragile it is and exploits it
>>
File: emperor_palpatine.jpg (138 KB, 468x720) Image search: [Google]
emperor_palpatine.jpg
138 KB, 468x720
>>64102099
> one
>>
>>64101654
You said 4-6 but you were mainly describing RotJ.
It's possible Snoke sent Kylo to fuck up Luke's school before starting to reclaim territory as the First Order. Or Luke needed to do force shit and let Leia handle the military side since that's what they each specialized in.
>>
>>64102157
Nah m8, fraid not, try harder.
Starkiller base was all just a backdrop, the character interactions were far more important.
>>
Force Awakens was a tribute movie. Its not like it matters. Remember a time before Disney fucking corporate spin? Remember what canon used to mean? It was all about knowing more about a world a man dreamt up. We tracked his opinion and labeled works created by authors with ranks in the Star Wars world with how much they followed the lore given to them by George Lucas.
>>
>>64102161
And yet still, in spite of all his failures he never gave up, unlike in the Force Awakens where he pretty much bails after one mistake, and lets the empire rebuilt themselve.
>>
I guess i understand keeping him till the very end. But hopefully it sets him up for a more major role in the next one. Kinda sucks its 2 yeara away tho
>>
File: 1443133547093.jpg (109 KB, 600x877) Image search: [Google]
1443133547093.jpg
109 KB, 600x877
>>64101654

Wars make not one great
>>
>>64102193
You mean that character interaction part where they were running from something, or that other part where they were running from something?
>>
>>64102223
Yes, that makes him a strong character, not a "badass". A badass is inherently a weakly written, one-note character. Luke being an "awesome tough kung fu fighting master" is the shittiest possible outcome of his character development and I can't imagine what kind of emotionally stunted retard you must be for wanting it.
>>
>>64102193

>their new lead is a shitty, superficial Mary Sue female power fantasy

awesome, glad we've started off on the right foot
>>
>>64102110
Was it rape?
>>
>>64101762
What a little bitch

>>64101834
At least Yoda had the excuse of being one of the few survivors of the jedi massacre and was persecuted by the empire. Luke had friends on the power but he wanted to crawl into his skin
>>
>>64102193
>Character interaction
The Force Awakens had garbage character interaction, it was essentially a forced romance between the token black guy and tumblr's mary sue. The rest was Solo being used to satisfy nostalgiafags.
>>
File: saber.png (264 KB, 313x475) Image search: [Google]
saber.png
264 KB, 313x475
>>64102268

Is this what we're doing now in the thread?
>>
All great Jedis go into exile when they fuck up. Yoda, Obi Wan, and now Luke.

I understand most of the criticisms of TFA, but not this, man. Luke was fucking perfect.
>>
>>64102002
of coursh
>>
>>64102336
Except the whole map part
>>
File: rape-culture.png (539 KB, 720x602) Image search: [Google]
rape-culture.png
539 KB, 720x602
>>64102287
>their new lead is a shitty, superficial Mary Sue female power fantasy
Nah, a real female power fantasy is mainly about a plain Jane being treated like shit by a rich powerful man or at best an ubercompetent female lead that eventually learn her proper place behind a man thanks to an invencible Gary Stu.

There's a reason why 70% of the audience were men around age 34 and women ships Rey/Kylo
>>
File: 1356984250137.gif (2 MB, 390x260) Image search: [Google]
1356984250137.gif
2 MB, 390x260
>>64102321

Fuck, where is this new trilogy going to go

>last one will be directed by the man who made Jurassic World

it was fucked from the start
>>
>>64102285
I didn't want him to be some "awesome tough kung fu badass", I wanted his character to be consistent, not butchered, so Disney could make a quick buck.
>>
>>64102193
>Starkiller base was all just a backdrop
>Huge part of the plot
>Backdrop

If that's how you want to excuse a third Death Star and a rehash of the plot of a New Hope, then go ahead my friend.

>Character interactions

>Rey is instantly loved and accepted by every character
>Finn gets reduced to chasing that white pussy when he meets Rey
>Poe and Rey never meet with each other
>Leia and Han act like total strangers towards each other (this is more Carrie Fishers's fault than the script's)

The only genuine character interaction in this movie is between Poe and Finn, and even that felt forced.
>>
File: acting.gif (3 MB, 308x175) Image search: [Google]
acting.gif
3 MB, 308x175
Yoda and Obi Wan did the same shit OP.
>>
File: mark hamill.jpg (36 KB, 400x264) Image search: [Google]
mark hamill.jpg
36 KB, 400x264
>>64102336

Luke is back and he's pissed!

"No one kills, Han, NO ONE!"
>>
>>64102336
Except Obiwan and Yoda had a reason to go into hiding, they were outgunned, and had no allies to depend on. Luke has an entire army to depend on, yet he still fails to stop his apprentice.
>>
>>64102285

Just because he's not literally superman doesn't mean he isn't badass you pedantic cuck.
>>
>>64101654
>luke skywalker
>ever badass
do people actually think this
>>
>>64102383
See
>>64102425
>>
>>64102437
Luke was a kid with potential. When he faced Sheev, he was still young and unexperienced but everyone agree about his huge potential. TFA tell us Luke never live up to his potential and he was kinda a bitch
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (48 KB, 1024x432) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
48 KB, 1024x432
>>64101654
>A badass warrior
But I need to go into Tasche station to pick up some power converters!
>>
>>64102437
Destroying a galaxy spanning empire is pretty badass.
>>
>>64102425

They could have joined the rebellion.
>>
>>64102321
Finn/Poe's interactions were great, they were ever bit as deep as they needed to be, which is to say, not much. Just pure, simple, natural "hey we get along pretty good" bromance.

Finn/Rey's were fine too, it made sense that she flips out every time he touches her and doesn't want to trust anyone, and he gradually wins her over with his own intense need for companionship. Finn escaped the First Order, where he had been programmed for loyalty, and as a result spent the first half of his time being terrified and hopeless that they were coming for him. He manages to survive this by swapping the object of his loyalty to his new friends, explaining his singleminded devotion to them at the cost of risking the Rebellion's operation. It's a great moment that shows the attention paid to the character's psychology behind his actions. He's flawed, but in a way that's understandable and even endearing.
>>
>>64102481
You can waste time with your friends when your chores are done
>>
>>64102486
They were too old to fight, just look at Obi Wan's sorry performance of a fight in A New Hope.
>>
>>64101940
kek
>>
>>64102372
There is literally nothing inconsistent and "butchered" about his character and I can't even fathom how desperate you are for bait material at this point.
>>
>>64101654
>Ditches rebellion when they need him most

The Rebellion is done, though. The Resistance is against space controlled by the new order and not the Republic
>>
>>64102380
hey fag that knows shit for movies.

Death Star 2 played a different plot point altogether.

It was under construction. Its location leaked to the alliance to lure them into a trap.

The devistation was so great from the first death star, that THE ENTIRE REBELLION gathered for an assualt on Death Star 2 before it could be complete. But surprise it was a trap.

Now this is where it gets intresting because the point between The empire versus the rebel fleet became an intellectual/moral battle between Emperor and Luke. Fear vs Hope.

Luke was winning that fight until Vader goaded Luke into anger by threatening Leia. The emperor nearly had the upper hand in that on going debate of the light vs dark, but Luke stopped himself from killing vader and in turn Vader turned and joined the one who was truly more powerful. Luke. He saw the error in his ways and rejected the dark side for what it was, a pale allusion of power.
>>
>>64102514

Count Dooku did just fine.
>>
>>64102518
They are going to neuter Luke to let Rey shine. You know it to be true.
>>
>>64102518
We've already established this, when the galaxy needed him most, he bailed, while "looking" for a jedi temple.
>>
>>64102491
>be brainwashed soldier bred for war

>suddenly develop a moral conscious and doesnt want to kill

>10 mins later he is slaughtering storm-troopers left and right without a second thought.

Yes, he is indeed flawed as a character, as in, fucking retardedly written.
>>
>>64101930
>Biggest fear was them ruining Luke's legacy as the baddest motherfucker to ever live

He did reach that though. Luke has reached Myth status because nobody believes the awesome shit he's done
>>
>>64101827
With any luck Rey will go to the dark side. Her obvious OP nature is bound to lead her to the dark side. This is why Luke marooned her in the armpit of the galaxy.

That is to say, this will be the story with any luck... these days, I have very, VERY low expectations from any big-budget movie as far as subtle and interesting storytelling goes.

Instead we'll probably get no character development whatsoever out of Rey, afterall, she's absolutely perfect as she is, and doesn't need your help.
>>
>>64102534
Dooku was still in his prime during the clone wars.
>>
>>64102544

That is the point where I declare this new Disneyshit officially non-canon.
>>
>>64101775
the force.
>>
>>Ditches rebellion when they need him most

He studied history and learned from his father's faults. He knows what happened last time Jedi involved in wars.
>>
>>64102588
It already contradicts canon as is. Its best just to view it as its own seperate steaming pile of shit
>>
>>64102586

I thought he was super old.
>>
>>64101654
Best possible outcome?

Luke has ultimately decided that the Jedi is a load of horseshit after seeing his nephew wipe out everything he built in one swoop. He trains Rey to reach her ultimate potential. Rey, in her immense talent, quickly acquires powers beyond her controls and becomes super darkside.
>>
>>64102582
>Instead we'll probably get no character development whatsoever out of Rey, afterall, she's absolutely perfect as she is, and doesn't need your help.

She won't even lose her arm/hand.

Showing that would be too violent towrads wymmyn
>>
>>64102623
So he studies history, while his apprentice hops around, from planet to planet killing people like some deranged school shooter.
>>
>>64102588
if she doesn't lose in VIII, i'm not seeing IX.
>>
File: image.png (125 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.png
125 KB, 300x300
Is he snoke?
>>
Guys, guys I have this idea for a star wars fan fic and I wanted feedback on this protagonist I have in mind

Okay, so she's an orphan from Tattoo-- Jakku, and she's a scavenger/slave. She escapes the planet by finding the Millennium Falcon and flying it by herself. She's super smart and can figure out the controls even though she hasn't set foot inside the ship before or flown a ship at all and she knows all about how to repair it more than the owner, Han Solo. Oh and she knows how to speak Wookie (thanks to the desert Wookie clan) and droid (Anakin could so duh) and Chewbacca loves her because she's cool and Han is impressed because she knows so much about the Falcon.

Oh and she has force powers, and she's so good at the force that she can resist the master of the Knights of Ren's mind reading and even read his mind, and she knows how to do jedi mind tricks because she just does and it's cool. She even beats the master of the knights of Ren in a lightsaber fight when she doesn't even have training with a lightsaber, and she has better force pulling than him.

In the end she has Anakin's lightsaber and is the captain of the Falcon and Chewie's new best friend and she goes off to be Luke Skywalker's apprentice (but he'll discover she knows way more than him cause she's a prodigy) so she can defeat the Sit- Knights of Ren.

I'm just stuck on the name, what should I call her?
>>
>>64102544
>>64102588
Look at the bright side. Disney will shit over Rey's legacy on ep X for making room for the new MC, probably a tranny
>>
>>64102692
>what should I call her?
Karen
>>
Luke was sad at the end of TFA because he felt Han die in the force and instantly read Rey's mind witnessing the whole thing.

He now has to tell Rey that her father was killed by her twin brother.

You know she's Han's daughter and Kylo and Rey are twins....JJ copied everything else.
>>
>>64102629
He was, but like I said earlier he was still in his prime, constantly battling jedi to keep his skills honed. Yoda and Obi Wan on the other hand, hadn't fought in years, they'd become slow and weak.
>>
>>64102663
Jedi aren't executors. Confirmed for not getting the lore. Bye kiddo.
>>
>>64102530

You had me until 'allusion'
>>
>>64102675

You don't want to see her ascent to Super Galactic MegaJedi after she defeats her 5th elder Sith Lord in a row while Chewie and Luke play with their dicks and keep the seat warm in the Falcon?
>>
>>64102692
Kek
>>
>>64102675
>if she doesn't lose in VIII, i'm not seeing IX.

I'm really tired of misogynist dipshits like you.

You are the one who's going to lose you fucking virgin
>>
>>64102715

They could just spar with each other or keep working out.
>>
>>64102752

I would think a virgin would have an even more rosy picture of female holiness than a man who's experienced what women are actually like

basically: smaller, weaker, more emotional and less-able men with a hole where their dick should be
>>
>>64102716
He doesn't have to kill him, he's clearly far more skilled in combat, if a stormtrooper and scavenger can overpower his apprentice. With his superior skill, he should easily be able to capture and imprison his emo nephew.
>>
>>64102552
He didn't "bail", he spent time training the next generation of Jedi and when they all got killed on his watch, he realized how fucked everything was. Searching for answers on his own on how to use the force for peace is the right thing for him to do, and a strong callback to the hermetic lives of his masters Obi-Wan and Yoda-- and before you even fucking START with me on the "too much pottery!" shit, this is actually the most consistent part of his timeskip character, because it is completely natural for people to end up much like the ones who had the most profound influence on their development.
>>
>>64102752
She's too powerful, in the movie, she went through no hardships, everything was sunshinee and sunroses for her.
>>
>>64102810
You act like he couldn't do both, imprison his nephew, THEN figure out how to fix the jedi.
>>
>>64102810
He abandoned his sister and his best friend to their grief and let it destroy their lives.
He let the rebellion become a shadow of its former self.
He allowed the first order to take root and expand to become a galactic threat.

He is a failure.
>>
>>64102852
then there wouldn't be a fucking movie

>waaah luke isn't perfect he didn't solve all the problems before the movie ever began
>>
>>64102874
Just like his master. And his master before him. Consistency is a double-edged sword, mate.
>>
>>64102882
So Luke should act like a bumbling retard?! If JJ Adams wanted Luke to go into exile, he should've make Luke weaker than his nephew not STRONGER.
>>
>>64102905
>extremist faggot
>if a character isn't perfect they have to be a "bumbling retard"
fuck off /pol/
>>
>>64102752
Not even a question of her gender, character was the epitome of a Mary sue. She specifically states several times she's never done X, the turns around and does X better than people who have trained and studied and experienced X all their lives.
>>
>>64102893
Yet in the previous movies he has no problem strutting into a ganglord's palace(Jabba the Hutt) unarmed to save his friend, Han Solo.
>>
>>64102942
Which he fucks up entirely.
>>
>>64102642
>wanting her to lose her arm/hand

>shitting on pottery but literally begging for pottery
>>
>>64102949
But still he tries, rather than giving up like a pussy.
>>
>>64101654
see, you some short-sighted motherfuckers in here.

Luke being on a higher mission is NOT one of the weaknesses of this admittedly flawed movie. Luke has seen and studied the historical and inevitable rise and fall and re-rise of the dark side of the force. His study with Obi Wan and Yoda, and later his self-led searching and meditation has taught him that the essence of the light side is wisdom and peace.
He knows that struggles for political and military power are inevitable and comparatively unimportant. He is seeking a higher knowledge, a way to bring a lasting balance to the force, to end the ceaseless cycle of rise and fall, the volatility of the force that leads to the repeated rise of the Sith, and the horror that leads to.

While his love for his friends is important to him as a man, he's had to step into a much more important role as the last living Jedi, and as such he has to look past the urge to rush into battle and save his friends, an urge he struggled with in Empire Strikes Back. He's moved beyond that now. He sees his role in the fate of the galaxy for generations to come, and has chosen to forsake his own desires and attachments in order to serve a higher purpose, and to seek a higher wisdom.

Either that, or they just needed him out of the way for the first movie so their action-fest could have a nostalgia-inducing cliffhangerish ending.
>>
>>64102960
And he's "trying" to do something now, faggot. But no keep being contrarian because you have literally nothing better to do with your life.
>>
>>64102882

They should have come up with a more believable premise rather than setting it thirty years later and barely changing anything for the names of the organizations. Something like how the Republic has to defend against terrorist attacks from Empire remnants.
>>
>>64102980
How is reading moldy old books helping anyone, while his apprentice moves around the galaxy killing millions.
>>
>>64102982

>Empire terrorists

political pottery, but makes more sense than a """"""""diminished""""""""" not-Empire who somehow manages to build a planet destroying base 200x more powerful than the Death STar

Jesus Christ, Disney

$200 mill and any writer you want on the planet and this is the shit you come up with

creativity is truly dead
>>
>>64102961
This, god it saddens me to no end how the children here won't ever even be able to comprehend this let alone appreciate it.
Luke's development as a wandering hermit in TFA is as classic to the hero mythos has his original coming of age story.
>>
>>64102980
Clearly he has been failing for decades.
>>
>>64103018

He's looking for the first Jedi temple. The moldy old books there are particularly special.
>>
>>64102961
But whats the point if they hadn't found Luke the first order would've destroyed everyone, leading to a new empire. Then what would Luke do? All the knowledge in the world won't stop a galaxy spanning empire, especially if he's by himself.
>>
>>64103060
Why in the fuck would Yoda not have moved them to the temple on Coruscant?
>>
>>64102961
Sounds fedora as fuck
>>
>>64103060
You fail to answer my question, why can't Luke do both, imprison his nephew then study ancient texts for as long as he wants. As a Jedi, he has an obligation to stop the sith, because he's the only person who can do it, so if he just stops, what happens then?
>>
man I hope the first jedi temple is like, some little hut

and not some huge expansive palace with incorrect perspective pillars and bad shadows and a bunch of guys standing in the corner like a twitch stream overlay
>>
>>64103060
if he's looking for the jedi temple why is he staring at the ocean doing nothing
>>
>>64103155
Maybe its underwater.
>>
>>64102692
this made me think of something... In the flick she's got Luke's lightsaber, and they may have mentioned something about it being Anakin's lightsaber that Luke receives in Episode IV... but didn't Luke lose that lightsaber in Episode V when Vader cut his hand off and never recover it?

Luke's lightsaber in Episode VI was a green one he had crafted himself... Anakin's blue lightsaber was lost forever in cloud city was it not?
>>
>>64103189
Yep, just another asspull, that nostalgia fags and shills will try to defend.
>>
>>64103185
in a giant bubble
>>
>>64103189
Correct. The Saber is VII is the same saber Luke loses in V. How the fuck did Orange lady get that shit? Why is it an unmarked, unlocked chest? Does she have Luke's hand? Will Luuke appear? Is Snoke just Palpatine possessing Luuke?

It makes no fucking sense.
>>
File: 1266892523566.jpg (239 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1266892523566.jpg
239 KB, 800x600
>compare the character arc from only one episode with the OT
>>
>>64103189
a story for another time
>>
>>64103189
That's another story for another time.
>>
>>64101654
>luke is now enlightened
>w-wwait isnt that the same as yoda and obiwan
>they dont realize disney is remaking 4-6

kek
>>
>>64103142
Not him, but I've been following your back and forth and holy shit bud, you have grade A autism. Your question will never be answered until the next few films. Everyone will fail to answer them. How about stop asking shit to which you know nobody has the answer to?

Maybe he couldn't imprison his nephew due to Snoke's lingering presence? Maybe snoke is more powerful? He has an obligation to stop the sith yes, and you have no way to prove that that ISNT what he is trying to do in finding the first temple. Maybe he is seeking power, wisdom or answers and for whatever reason he would not have succeed in just attacking the first order head on.

It's really simple to be quite honest. Get a grasp on your flaring retardation and wait for real answers and accept made up ones that could work till then.

moron
>>
>>64103142
Probably because he feels the growing danger in using the force for conflict. Going after his nephew means more war, more chaos, more death. And yes, that's probably going to happen anyway, but he knows it'll be even worse in the long run for the galaxy for him to use his powers to forcibly make things "right" again. And that's why he's going on his quest. And detaching himself from this conflict is not without regret, he is clearly suffering over his desire to help the ones he loves versus his need to serve the higher purpose. Look at his fucking face in that last scene, he says more in that one expression about the entire state of affairs than he would have been able to with any number of lines of dialogue.
>>
>>64103069
>What's the point?

The point is that luke don't give a shit about about who controls the galaxy today or next year or the year after that. He's beyond that now.

He wants to end the cycle, bring balance to the force in a way his fated father was unable to do.

Also, action-fest, cliffhanger, etc.
>>
>>64103296
>s-stop point out plot holes in my favorite movie.
>>
what would people do if he died 10 mins in the next movie
>>
Cut him some slack, man.

A student fell to the dark side. That student killed -every- other student he had been teaching. A master naturally forms bonds with his students, both emotionally and through the force. The deaths of his students must have wounded him deeply.

And that student that fell? It was the son of his best friend and his own sister.

He failed his dead students. He failed Ben Solo. He failed Leia and Han. He failed the Jedi. He failed the masters that entrusted the future to him.

That's some pretty deep wounds of the heart. He needed to leave, he needed to search. For answers in both the first Jedi temple and in himself.
>>
I didn't get a screener for star wars, so even JJ knows it's not getting any awards.
>>
>>64103346
So like I said, JJ Adams butchered Luke so he could milk 3 movies out of a shitty premise.
>>
>>64103359
this is not anybody's favorite movie, but Luke not being the Deus Ex Machina is not what ruins it.
>>
>>64103448
And he just left Han and Leia, his only family left, with their grief to tear apart their lives.

Bravo Luke.
Bravo JJ.
Bravo Disney.
>>
>>64103431
I'd leave the theater and just ignore the ST.
>>
>>64103486
Don't worry, Rey has the power to time travel, and fix it.
>>
>>64103448
It's still cowardly and inconsistent with his character, in The Empire Strikes back even with his friends captured, and his body butchered up, he still doesn't give up, even when he knows the perpetrator of these events is his own father. Yet in this movie he gives up immediately rether than avenging his fallen allies l, by imprisoning his edgy nephew.
>>
>>64103464
yeah maybe.

Or maybe the character Luke knew he couldn't insta-solve all the galaxies problems because that movie would have been more boring.
>>
>>64103359
>I got BTFO and have no response now

Concession accepted. You literally have no arguement. All you are asking is why why why? All that we can give is theory and hypotheticals. Either get satisfied with those or stop asking why till the next episode.

>inb4 more autistic greentext substituting as rebuttal
>>
>>64103486
Completely believable. Not sure why your autism is causing you throw a shitfit over it.
>>
>>64103486
>he just left Han and Leia, his only family left, with their grief to tear apart their lives.

I'm no Jedi, but I know the force. And I can tell you that when people I love are overcome with grief and struggle, it is not up to me to overcome their grief for them. A person can only grow for themselves. You can't grow for them.
>>
>>64103583
argument*
>>
He was an uncle, and saw little Ben grow up. He failed his nephew, and undoubtedly would not be able to bring himself to actually take Ben down.

Hence why he'll train Rey to deal with it, because he wouldn't be able to do it himself (and because it would be less dramatic for Luke to just step in and clean house)
>>
>>64103552
>in The Empire Strikes back
did you even listen to Yoda in that fucking movie?
>>
>>64103477
He doesn't need to be a Deus Ex Machima, he needs to be consistent. Stop defending plotholes, because the fact is JJ Adams fucked up and created a shitty movie even with 30 years of backstory to help him(The expanded universe)
>>
>>64103359
>asks question
>gets answer
>doesnt like it, complains instead

Yes, reddit is here
>>
>>64103639
Yoda was wrong. Just like he was wrong throughout the entire PT.
>>
>>64103629
And yet in 20 years he couldn't train someone to take him down! Kylo Ren wasn't very skilled, considering a scavenger and ex-stormtrooper overpowered him.
>>
>>64103607
>I'm no Jedi, but I know the force.
slight sidebar...

I took a bunch of LSD when my co-worker invited me to go see episode VII... and when that orange chick that runs the cantina gave that line
>I'm no Jedi, but I know the force
and the monologue that followed, about empathy and compassion and etc... I couldn't help but feel that that character had experimented with psychedelics before...
>>
>>64103220
WEESA GOIN HOOOOOOOOOOOME
>>
>>64103236
>>64103234

>2 seconds
Another-time-mind
>>
>>64103648
>Can't win argument, must be reddit and newfags invading muh secret club.
>>
>>64103682
He probably didn't intend on training anyone to do so.

Shit will happen/he will need convincing in Ep 8.
>>
>>64103643
I'm not defending plotholes. Episode VII is full of them and this isn't one of them. A character growing is not a plothole. Luke's "rush in and save everybody" behavior in Empire Strikes Back is a fucking character flaw. This is pointed out explicitly in Episode V.

Luke getting past that "I HAVE TO SAVE MY FRIENDS" crap is impressive character development, not a plothole.
>>
>>64101654
>Star wars 4-6
>>A badass warrior, willing to challenge the largest empire ever
>>Fearlessly defeats a rancor, and with no weapon
>>Never gives up, even when the situation is hopeless

ummm what?
>>
>>64103607
>it is not up to me to overcome their grief for them. A person can only grow for themselves

too bad luke in the original trilogy is a shining example of that being a load of shit
>>
>>64103705
I've only seen the flick once, so I'm not sure, but I assume its a quote from that Orange chick... perhaps when Rey asked her where she got the lightsaber...
>>
>>64103746
So he was just going to let his nephew restore the empire and mass suffering, again, this is very inconsistent with his character.
>>
File: 1376532786107.gif (2 MB, 450x252) Image search: [Google]
1376532786107.gif
2 MB, 450x252
>>64103700
>tfw this movie would have improved with jar jar
>>
>>64103776
and we're upset because what? Because Luke finally grew the fuck up in the last 30 years?
>>
>>64103797
In the long term the empire is insignificant. Even the rebellion is insignificant. All that matter is the force.
>>
>>64103607
Yet the exact thing you stated can't happen, happened in Star Wars 4-6 with Vader's redemption.
>>
>>64103828
this
>>
>>64103815
Clearly he was doing something right, if he convinced Vader to save him.
>>
>>64103829
>the exact thing you stated can't happen

Leia and Han can't overcome their grief on their own? They need Deus Luke Machina to meet all their emotional needs for them?

Is this what you're telling me or am I misunderstanding your cryptic and confrontational statement?
>>
>>64103797
He's never been a parent/uncle in the OT. Shit changes your perspective.

You don't think after getting older/Han+Leia having kids + 20 years (which is MORE than enough time for people to have their perspective on things shifted) that it's so unbelievable for him to not be able to bring himself to kill his nephew?
>>
>>64103828
>Fuck the Galaxy, Fuck the Millions of lives pointlessly lost because a coward won't take responsibility, only the force matters!
>>
>>64102952
>not knowing the difference between good and bad pottery

found the fag
>>
>>64102723
dopplejej
>>
>>64103861
>convinced Vader to save him
Saving him was a choice Vader made himself. Luke was too busy getting electrocuted to death to convince anybody of anything.

Just like Vader had to make his choices himself and overcome his emotional trauma himself, Han and Leia have to cope with their grief themselves. It is not Luke's job to cope with their loss for them, and even if he foolishly and unwisely took on that task, he would fail.

>You got to go down to the valley. Nobody else can go there for you.
>>
>>64103892
I mean... Obi-Wan and Yoda did the exact same thing.
>>
>>64103868
I was talking about their son, Kylos Ren. Luke had 20 years to imprison and deal with his apprentice but he didn't, even though his apprentice was clearly an emotional wreck. (When Han confronts him he wavers between both sides of the force)
>>
>>64101654
A guy came on here last night claiming that he worked for LucasFilms, probably bullshit but he was really convincing.

Claimed Luke is mad as shit and that he is training to go fuck Snoke up. He wants blood.
>>
>>64103926
>literally persecuted by the empire

Why you shills never watch the previous 6 movies?
>>
>>64103926
They were oblivious going to train Luke when he was ready.l, it was too risky for those two to go out and fight a stronger foe, if they died, no one would be able to train Luke.
>>
>>64103815
the point is that luke is constantly supported by his friends and allies throughout the OT,which helps become as powerful as he is
>>
>>64103892
more like
>fuck the need for glory and gratification, I'm not empowered to save the millions of lives currently in jeopardy, but perhaps if I void my attachments and seek a higher wisdom I can protect untold millions of future generations from the same suffering that is currently tearing apart the people I love... This is the hardest decision I've ever had to make, but at least I don't have to make this decision alone, I have the wisdom and council of my beloved teachers Yoda and Obi Wan, and my father Annakin.

>May the force be with me...
>>
>>64103978
*obviously
>>
>>64102021
>You have to read in a book what planets they blew up

But that's wrong you retard. In the Resistance war room they clearly say it was the Hosnian system.
>>
>>64103976
>literally persecuted by the empire
...and that means that they couldn't help the Rebellion... why? It wasn't like the Empire wasn't already trying to kill everyone in the Rebellion.

Obi-Wan chilled until R2 messaged him, when he had plenty of time to help.
>>
>>64103998
Well Yoda and Obi Wan were completely wrong about Vader, and they are completely wrong in this case. And don't even get me started on the wise council of Anakin.
>>
>>64102752

Why are you pretending to be a landwhale cunt? You don't need to go this far just to shitpost. Pretending to be a butthurt hambeast is not worthy.
>>
>>64104028
Obi Wan was old and weak, he'd quickly get himself killed, and with him dead who would find and point Luke to Yoda, no one.
>>
>>64103948
what information given to us in Episode VII leads you to the conclusion that Luke was empowered to stop Kylo Ren?

The First Order is clearly still a more powerful force than the resistance. The Empire's defeat in Episode VI is clearly somewhat less than total. I have my own objections to this state of affairs, to me it is somewhat reminiscent of Terminator III (they stopped judgment day in T2 goddammit!), but bitching about Luke not solving all the problems before the movie starts serves nothing, either in terms of consistency or storytelling.
>>
>>64103949
Interesting, what else did he say.
>>
>>64103979
Yup, and they didn't support him in his growth just so he could throw it all away an not learn a lesson that was hammered into him 30 years ago when he failed to listen to his master and ran off to face Vader (and lose)
>>
>>64102961
aw man...I read that entire thing in Samuel L Jackson's voice, it was a pleasure
>>
>>64104063
You act like there wasn't a huge span of time before he got old & weak. There's a very large timespan between Ep3 & New Hope.

I think it's safe to say that Lucas is just sort of a shit writer.
>>
>>64104072
He didn't need to stop the entire first order, merely restrain his edgelord nephew, THEN go study to become wise like the anons above claim he did. But he didn't he goes full retard, and lets his nephew bring the first order to its prime.
>>
>>64104063

Not at the end of ROTS. He probably would have aged better if he kept working out by fighting in a war instead of hanging out in the desert sun.
>>
File: 1436598486723.png (397 KB, 445x500) Image search: [Google]
1436598486723.png
397 KB, 445x500
>>64103998
>May the force be with me...
that feel when no one to say it to you but yourself
>>
>>64104031
>they are completely wrong in this case
and you know this how? you've probably been studying the force for the last four decades and have also seen the next two movies.
>>
>They won't have Luke be the Jedi that comes out of retirement and starts kicking ass
>he'll get crushed by Snoke, vanish into thin air and come back as a force ghost later after Rey kills Snoke and redeems Kylo

fuck i just want a movie where Old Luke kicks ass I want Star Wars: Guns Of The Patriots
>>
>>64104121
I have HAD it with these muthafuckin Snokes on this muthafuckin Ben.
>>
>>64104133
You win this point, no one is denying the Prequels were good, they added plotholes, and proved that Lucas was a hack just like JJ Adams.
>>
>>64104121
Thanks man.

>positive reinforcement on /tv/... its more common than you think
>>
>>64102663

The Jedi were peace keepers and diplomats first and foremost. A constant state of war doesn't blend well with Jedi beliefs
>>
>>64104172
>no one is denying the Prequels were good
this bait has gone bad, it's way past its sell-by date
>>
>>64104127
again, what in the flick leads you to believe that he is empowered to stop said nephew? You answer your own question. Why didn't he stop his nephew? because he couldn't fucking do so, otherwise he clearly would have.
>>
I wish Han died off screen of old age than the shit death he got in this movie.
>>
TFA was an OK movie .
>>
>>64104197
In what way was hiding on a planet reading books helpful while his failure of an apprentice raises and army strong enough to rival the empire. If Luke was a true jedi, a peacekeeper, he'd imprison his son then go and seek enlightment.
>>
>>64104241
Han getting aced was the best part of the flick. As soon as he walked out on that bridge I knew he was toast. My feet were off the floor and my fists here clenched infront of me as I sat there for three minutes and thirty-three seconds hissing "do it, do it, do it" to Kylo Ren under my breath.
>>
>>64104200
Sorry, I meant bad not good.
>>
>>64103189
are you literally retarded? you seriously didnt realize this til now, you stupid fucking bleach sniffer?

no shit, it was probably scavenged by some bumfuck that stayed at Maz's castle, drank too much, and left it behind where she found it. why is this a big fucking deal?
>>
>>64101754
At the very end, Luke is kind of an arrogant prick like Anakin was before Sheevator started playing his "life saving knowledge" trick on him.

Luke is totally determined that he's going to save his father (which Vader practically laughs at, as he's been down this road of trying to save someone before and seen where it goes) and gets his ass fried by Sheevamania.

Since Vader couldn't come to his senses without Luke's agony, and Luke couldn't really beat Sheev on his own, they both wind up being The Chosen One in their own way but really neither of them are.

It's still impressive that Luke made it through Jabba's without a lightsaber, but he does it basically walking a path right down the middle of light and dark, even force choking some guards.
>>
>>64104281
>If Luke was a true jedi, a peacekeeper, he'd imprison his son then go and seek enlightment.
you know this because you're a true Jedi
>>
>>64104220
He's obligated to stop him because he trained him, and allowed him to become a threat. He's clearly stronger than him, if his other nephew Rey can beat him with absolutely no jedi training.
>>
File: 1417986715703.jpg (37 KB, 500x480) Image search: [Google]
1417986715703.jpg
37 KB, 500x480
>>64104321
>Sheevamania
OHHH YEAHHH BROTHERS
THE SHEEVSTER'S GONNA BRING IT TO YA
CAN YOU DIG IT
>>
>>64104313
>scavenge something that literally fell into the abyss of a gas giant planet

are you retarded?
>>
>>64104313
you're pretty rude...

Just because I sniff bleach doesn't make me a bad person or mean that my train of thought is... orange chick... frostbite potato...
>>
>>64102961
>he's had to step into a much more important role as the last living Jedi

Theres no point in the Jedi if you can use the force with no training like Rey can
>>
>>64104335
Yep, the very first infact.
>>
>>64104357
please don't be one of those ineffable dumbos that tries to ascribe real world physics to the star wars universe. they blow up planets with lasers, hollow planet-sized bases that eat up suns like they're reeses pieces, and creatures that live on asteroids that apparently evolved to eat millenium falcons and you're upset about a lightsaber being recovered after falling down a hole
>>
>>64104347
>he's obligated to stop him

has it occurred to you that that is exactly what Luke is up to on Space Ireland Planet?
>>
>>64104401
> It took him 20 years to stop someone infinity weaker than him, sure...
>>
>>64104401
He's clearly failing.
>>
>>64104374
I completely agree, but Rey's overpowered retardedness is not what we're talking about here. That's the thing that fucks this flick over, not Luke growing the fuck up since Episode V
>>
>>64104396
Nobody's upset about the lightsaber being recovered. I pointed out that it being recovered doesn't seem to make a great deal of sense...

>>64104313 (which may or may not be you)
seems to be quite upset that I pointed out that it didn't make sense.
>>
>>64103089

Maybe that green cunt didn't know where the temple was?
>>
>>64101654
>Luke didn't start his own Jedi Academy on Yavin 4
Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>64102437
Luke is fucking GOAT, you faggot.
>>
>>64104374
Except you miss the point completely, it's not about "using the force", being able to use the force is not the end-all be-all goal. It's being able to use the force without it leading to more strife and discord, which Rey utterly fails to do as she gives in to rage and hate to beat the shit out of Kylo Ren. Luke sees past that shit and knows it can't go on like this.
>>
>>64104413
>>64104415
again, what in the flick gives you the impression that Luke was able to stop Kylo Ren by charging heedlessly into battle like he did in episode V?

Did you guys not notice that the First Order is still clearly militarily superior to the resistance?
>>
people still dont realize that yoda and ben always intended for luke to kill vader and palpatine. luke ignored them and did his own thing
>>
>>64103089
Temple would be thousands of years old, possibly tens of thousands. He might not have known where it was. Luke has to go find it after all and Yoda would probably inform him where it was, granted he could still communicate with Luke and the Force Ghost doesn't have diminishing returns.
>>
>>64104467
Oh look, another mental midget that gets upset when Luke's character is analyzed.
He's a great character, but he is most certainly not a "badass", and that's a good thing, because a badass is by default a character whom the writer gave up developing after a single word.
>>
>>64103142

Easy. Anywhere Luke imprisons him, Snoke will be able to find due to their connection. So he can't leave him on any world or with the resistance and he can't take him with him to find the first Jedi temple. There, easy. Now shut up
>>
>>64104518
Exactly.
>>
>>64104480
>Rey utterly fails to do as she gives in to rage and hate to beat the shit out of Kylo Ren

As I said earlier in the thread, she'll hopefully fall to the darkside. It is literally the only redemption possible for this uninteresting, OP character
>>
>>64104528
When snoke comes defeat him, Luke is clearly the strongest person alive at the moment.
>>
>>64104542
I agree, I think that's what it's leading up to, a role reveral with Kylo being redeemed and Rey going full darkside.
>>
>>64104579
They won't.
>>
>>64104083
https://4ch.be/tv/thread/64077827/#64078569
>>
>>64104525
Nothing in your comment implied anything positive about him, dingus.
>>
>>64104555
>strongest person alive
>it's another "jedi are dragonball z characters" preteen
>>
>>64104396
>just turn ur brain off lol
>>
>>64104636
>dude i'm strawmanning lmao
>>
>>64104555
>When snoke comes, defeat him

This endless cycle of conflict and domination is exactly what Luke is trying to end. Luke MAY be able to defeat Snoke in a straight up-fight (though if that is the case there's no reason to believe Snoke would be foolish enough to grant him a straight-up fight), but we hardly know enough about Snoke to be able to clearly determine that Luke would be able to defeat him. But that is beside the point, infact it dreadfully misses the point.

Luke's character at this point is struggling to move beyond the paradigm of struggle-defeat-resurgence that has gripped the galaxy for generations. He's voiding his attachments to seek a higher wisdom.
>>
>>64104063

He was about 20 years younger than Dooku. To bad Obi-Wan is a fag. The entire Star Wars franchise has done a terrible job with the force as the Dark Side is clearly stronger
>>
>>64104617
Don't get mad at me, its not my fault Lucas created a univese that reflects this theory.
>>
>>64104648
>He's voiding his attachments to seek a higher wisdom.
This guy has done LSD
>>
>>64104648
just give up mate, you're arguing with people who literally want Luke to be a jedi super saiyan level 3 who beats all the bad guys without ever getting hurt because they cling to that untouchable superhero escapism to get over their moms grounding them and taking away the nintendo
>>
>>64104648
>He's voiding his attachments
This is what destroyed the Jedi order in the PT.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.