[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 15
File: Point Break RT.png (813 KB, 846x604) Image search: [Google]
Point Break RT.png
813 KB, 846x604
What went wrong?
>>
>>64100719
Remakes.
>>
Yet another remake no one wanted
>>
>remaking point break
>with shitty dude 1%ers wealth redisribution lmao theme to appear to the youngins
>>
It's a remake no one asked for released in the wrong era, targeting the wrong audience, has little nostalgia factor and is starring literally whos. It will bomb immensely IMO.
>>
Should have put a strong female as the lead so at least the critics would have given it some pity points
>>
>male director

Found your problem.
>>
>>64100719
An unnecessary remake that no one asked for of a great movie with a GOAT cast no starting literal who's
>>
>>64100719
at least no one died making this.
>>
>>64100775
>>64100777
true

If you want good reviews you need a diverse cast and crew at least. Even if the movie is shit critics will fawn over it.
>>
>>64100719

>Remake Point Break

>Change lead character to a Mary Sue the size of Rey from TFA

>Change the pretty fucking simple concept of "FBI agent goes undercover in gang of bank robbing surfers" to "FBI agent goes undercover in a gang of ecological super terrorists who are attempting to reach spiritual nirvana via a series of 8 mythological mystic tasks that also happen to involve random extreme sports activities"

>Instead of taking a fun B movie script with a modest budget and handing it over to A list talent to make great action movie, crowd pleasing R rated entertainment, decide to film it like a Po Faced Grim 2 Edgy 4 U Fast And Furious rip off with the added bonus of a PG-13

>Cast it with randoms that don't all match up with the original cast or what they brought to the table

Really fucking amazing to think they screwed up such a simple premise.

It would be like remaking Flashdance and asking the writer; "Do we really need to have it be about dancing? Can she maybe be a dancer who also figure skates, does gymnastics and circus tricks who doesn't want to get into a fancy school...Now she wants to save the earth by becoming the first female pope?"
>>
>>64100719
They started producing it when occupy Wall Street was still a thing, and they over estimated people's attention spans
>>
>>64100948
>spending almost 5 years to make a point break movie

fucks sake
>>
>>64100865

Original

>Bank Robbing Surfers

Remake

>Ecological Communist Terrorists Extreme Athlete Buddhists

I genuinely want to know how it evolved into this concept and who thought it was a good idea and why. I'm serious.
>>
>>64100833
You entirely missed my point. Taking a classic movie that was directed by a woman (making it inherently female) and forcing a male director into the remake ruined it.
>>
>>64100865
>It would be like remaking Flashdance and asking the writer; "Do we really need to have it be about dancing? Can she maybe be a dancer who also figure skates, does gymnastics and circus tricks who doesn't want to get into a fancy school...Now she wants to save the earth by becoming the first female pope?"

That's how these shitty remakes are written. They're fueled by the opinions of focus groups and the children of the studio execs, a mish mash of ideas are thrown at a group of screenwriters doing it just for the cash and they hand the production reigns over to some no talent who has a proven track record of getting the job done on time and under budget.

Complete waste of time and money.
>>
>>64100719
keanu-swayze bond can never be matched
>>
File: 1389037451239.gif (204 KB, 760x513) Image search: [Google]
1389037451239.gif
204 KB, 760x513
>Google "Point Break Remake"

>Horrific reviews

>Sure fire domestic opening weekend disaster tier failure

>"Huge Opening In China"

FOR FUCKS SAKE YOU GODDAMN SLANTY EYED CUNTS, STOP FUCKING DOING THIS

I BEG YOU. JUST STOP
>>
>>64100980
>script written by a man
>inherently female

kek

That's like saying the American Psycho movie was "female" even though it's based on a book by a gay man.
>>
why in the world would you expect a reboot of cheesy action movie from the early 90's to go right
>>
File: image.jpg (436 KB, 670x866) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
436 KB, 670x866
>>64100719
>Jupiter Ascending
>Our Brand is Crisis
>Pan
>In the Heart of the Sea
>now Point Break

JUST
>>
>>64100719

Why can't Edgar Ramirez star in anything good? I like him but all his movies are hot garbage.
>>
its a direct to video movie in both style and quality
They should have just changed it enough for it to be its own movie
>>
>>64100719
It's a remake of a cheesy movie that's only fun because of Keanu Reeves, Swayze and Gary Busey
>>
>>64100719
The original was a perfect storm. Lightning in a bottle. You can't hope to replicate that, and no one wanted them to try.
>>
>>64100719
Original: take a simple if cheesy concept and give it to A-List level talent and casting

Remake: take simple concept and OVERCOMPLICATE AND GRIM-DARK THE SHIT OUT OF IT and cast literal whos
>>
>>64101098

The original is well written cheese with a simple, exploitable concept that was far more proficiently directed than it should have been and with a good cast.

Something the 80's and early 90's got right was delivering quality product on basic, dumb concepts.

Now we take basic, dumb concepts and convolute them into confusing, weird messes that are handled by D list talent.

This reminds me of the Total Recall or Robocop remakes. It's sort of amazing when you see something so simple, and realize it actually took hard work and talent to make it a passable popcorn flick.

Or I assume it did, and it's not just that the guys doing these remakes are so spectacularly incompetent that it just makes their predecessors work look good.
>>
File: 57.gif (966 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
57.gif
966 KB, 200x150
>>64101073
>mfw they probably think Batman VS Superman will help them recoup some of their losses
>>
>>64101073
>in the heart of the sea

This looked so good, and that cast + ron Howard, I didn't think it could be bad
>>
File: image.jpg (131 KB, 719x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131 KB, 719x1080
>>64101198
>>64101051
>>64100968
>>64100865

I'm caring it: HEAT will be the next "Point Break style remake", they'll fucking do it, I just can sense it
>>
>>64101240

>Suicide Squad comes out

>Big hit

>"We're saved!"

>Immediately lose all that money and more after Superman Vs Batman Vs Wonder Woman Vs Aquaman Vs Lex Luthor Vs Doomsday Vs Everyone Else Who Won't Get A Spin Off flops and burns.
>>
>>64101278
>Suicide Squad comes out
>Big hit

I think you're being optimistic there.
>>
>>64101264
*calling it
>>
>>64101264

What's funny is that Heat is already over long, unnecessarily convoluted and grim dark.

The remake is going to be plotted like a Nolan film on amphetamines and shot like a Marilyn Manson video.

With a shootout that equals Man Of Steel's city destruction in scope...All while being a solid PG-13.

And the two Greatest Actors Of Their Generation that they will tap to headline it will be Eddie Murphy and Bruce Willis.
>>
>>64100719
Remaking it.... again
>>
>>64101051

Do you think the Chinese do this just to continue dumbing down American cinema?

Or are they legitimately more retarded than Americans?
>>
>>64101293
people are hyped about it. it might not be good but people will go see it
>>
File: fast_and_furious_1_3243442b.jpg (328 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
fast_and_furious_1_3243442b.jpg
328 KB, 620x387
>>64101367

This. The first remake was at least passable.
>>
>>64101371
gooks love plots that are more complicated than they need to be. they don't understand the value of simplicity in cinema
>>
>>64101240
It's impossible for Batman vs. Superman to flop.

Sue Side Skwad is a big gamble though.
>>
>>64101404
They just love big action shit and really don't give a shot about plot, that's transformers 4 is like their highest grossing movie
>>
>>64100719

This was honestly one of those remakes no one wanted. The first film wasn't perfect, but whatever it had couldn't be replicated, and everyone knows that.

It's like how they've never really tried to remake Back To The Future. For whatever reason, it just seems like a bad idea. People were not interested in this long before there was even a trailer.
>>
>>64101073
Is the article good?
>>
>>64101278
>Superman Vs Batman Vs Wonder Woman Vs Aquaman Vs Lex Luthor Vs Doomsday Vs Everyone Else Who Won't Get A Spin Off flops and burns.
Its a shame how accurate that is
and how hard that made me laugh
>>
File: 68.jpg (11 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
68.jpg
11 KB, 320x240
>>64101374
>people are hyped about it.

Really? Who and why?
>>
>>64101442
Back to the future won't get remade because Robert Zemekis needs to approve it and he says he won't allow it while he's alive. So when he kicks it, brace yourselves for Back to the Future directed by JJ Abrams
>>
A shit remake of a shit movie was shit? Whodathunk
>>
>>64101492

I'm dreading the upcoming Gremlins "ReSequel", personally.
>>
File: image.jpg (175 KB, 1123x749) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
175 KB, 1123x749
>>64100719
>$120 million budget
>>
>>64101444
Gives some good insight on the current state of the studio and its CEO.
>>
>>64101257
they are going to fucking make the whole thing about cannibalism though. I really hope they go for a "Cast Away" sort of feel to it, rather than "Alive."

I read the book in high school and it's not exactly an option the crew enjoyed at all or that the book spent its entire time on. It was more about surviving in the rafts and then getting to an island they know nothing about and trying to survive.
>>
>>64101533
>120 million budget
>only manages literal who cast
>released Christmas Day

Is this like one of those Hollywood write offs where they actually get money from a failed movie? This shit HAD to have been on purpose. No one is this stupid accidently
>>
>>64100719

No one wants to watch remakes
>>
I don't get it. Why was this made? Like did the studio think it was a cashcow or something?
>>
>>64101424
>It's impossible for Batman vs. Superman to flop.

That depends how much the studio is spending on it and how much they expect it to make.
>>
File: bane pissed.gif (351 KB, 512x348) Image search: [Google]
bane pissed.gif
351 KB, 512x348
>>64101257
>tfw all the cannibalism stuff was off screen
>>
>>64101533

>$120 million budget

HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?

Who thought this was sensible?

Adjusted for inflation, the original would have cost just 43 million dollars.

And it starred ACTUAL MOVIE STARS.

Goddamn, what fucking stupidity allowed this to happen?
>>
>>64101533
How the fuck could they possibly have spent so much money? I haven't seen anything in the trailers that seems like it involved heavy special effects.
>>
>>64101488
>Really? Who and why?
plebs. because it has the joker in it and, you know, he was the greatest villain ever in TDK.
just because it's not hyped on /tv/ doesn't mean it's not hyped. a lot of people are going to see it, but like i said it doesn't mean its going to be good
>>
>>64101522
Like Mike said, if they get Micheal Dougherty to direct Gremlins 3, it might not be shit.
>>
>>64101606

Literally photoshopping the faces of the cast onto the stunt performers.

Youtuber tier CGI in this day and age. Shit they were doing back in the early 2000's with complete ease.
>>
>>64101073
Didn't WB have a pretty shitty summer, too? Mad Max underperformed and I don't think they really had a tentpole hit.
>>
>>64101638

>CGI Gremlins

I know it's cool to hate on CG, but the Gremlins were more like Muppets than realistic characters. It was part of the appeal.
>>
>>64101631
>just because it's not hyped on /tv/ doesn't mean it's not hyped.

I know that, I don't build my expectations from tv. But from media, various internet sources, pop culture posters, /tv/ and anecdotally I haven't seen any evidence to suggest people are hyped enough about Suicide Squad for it to be a hit.
>>
>>64100719
Thought this movie was just Point Break but in 3D.
>>
>>64101650

>underperformed

Not really. They knew they were taking a big risk on spending so much on a film that wasn't going to do huge business. That's why there were years of BTS drama.

They've had a rough year though.

Honestly they've just made bad movies.

In The Heart Of The Sea is fucking terrible, when it could have been a decently passable mid range blockbuster flick.
>>
>>64101687
it's still a long time before the premiere but i remember when the first trailer was "leaked" it was all people were talking about. wait till the real advertising starts
>>
>>64101687

The trailer got more views than the Batman Vs. Superman trailer and more "twitter mentions".

I guess that's where it's coming from.
>>
>>64100865
>Now she wants to save the earth by becoming the first female pope
kek
>>
>>64101533

>three times the budget of the original

>no movie stars

This has to be money laundering.
>>
>>64101730
>The trailer got more views than the Batman Vs. Superman trailer

Didn't the Civil War trailer get roughly 5 times more views than BvS?
>>
File: reagan bodhi.png (268 KB, 388x401) Image search: [Google]
reagan bodhi.png
268 KB, 388x401
I feel like it's kind of disrespectful to remake this movie, especially with Swayze's death and all.

Why can't they just make an original heist movie? I'd certainly be down for that.
>>
>The leaked version of The Hateful Eight has been traced back to a top Hollywood executive, co-CEO of Alcon Entertainment, Andrew Kosove.

>Point Break (producer) 2015

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAH

Holy fuck. This guy's career just got double fucking rekt on Christmas.

Never. Work. Again.
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 500x500
>>64101870
>mfw his remake still bombs and makes less than hateful 8
>>
>>64101870

>Spend 120 million on a sure fire bomb

>Leak your only chance at a hit to the internet

>Be too tall to officially be a midget and get that sweet sympathy pussy, but too short to be taken seriously as a male human

Suicide when?
>>
File: Keanu.jpg (104 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Keanu.jpg
104 KB, 1200x900
>remaking a film when one of the original co-leads could still convincingly pull off the same role
It's like they WANTED no one to want it.
>>
>>64101563
You know the movie came out two weeks ago, right?
>>
File: 1449640757153.jpg (129 KB, 330x495) Image search: [Google]
1449640757153.jpg
129 KB, 330x495
>>64100948
>They started producing it when occupy Wall Street was still a thing, and they over estimated people's attention spans

I don't want to admit you're right, but you are. The dinosaurs that run the studios just figure "kids today" will be so into these RADICAL stunts and geo-political message!

>>64101059
>That's like saying the American Psycho movie was "female" even though it's based on a book by a gay man.

You're on to something. Maybe possible Oscar bait if you pursue this idea.

>>64101264
>I'm caring it: HEAT will be the next "Point Break style remake", they'll fucking do it, I just can sense it

Vin Diesel in place of DeNiro and Matt Maconahey as Pacino. Done.
>>
>>64100719
I don't understand, they already did a remake of Point Break.
>>
>>64100752
>yfw you realize that tdkr was a based movie about a law and order vigilante and a police force beating the shit out of Occupy Wall Street criminals and inequality protestors
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.