[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just saw the force awakens and Ive been avoiding /tv/ until I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5
Just saw the force awakens and Ive been avoiding /tv/ until I saw it. So Im sorry if this conversations already been done to death. How the fuck was Rey able to use the force as well as she did without being trained. Like she was just able to do the mind trick and pull a lightsaber without any training. This was the only thing that really bothered me about the movie.
>>
>How the fuck was Rey able to use the force as well as she did without being trained
>without being trained

you don't know that, it'll be explained in the next movie
>>
>>64096461
But she wasnt trained? She had that whole thing about "Oh the jedi are real?"
>>
It wasnt explained in the movie explicitly, but there are some possibilities.

1) she was trained as a child, but her memory was wiped and shes started piecing it back together
2) ren tells snoke that rey is actually quite strong, and she may just have a knack for picking things up quickly
3) in the interrogation scene with ren, its obvious rey is able to read rens mind, and i think she absorbed some of his knowledge of the force, or at least what was possible for her to do
>>
>>64096541
again it'll be explained in the next movie

why you think she had flashbacks when she touched a lightsabre or conjured up something after kylo refered to using the force
>>
>>64096267
The only somewhat acceptable explanation I've heard is she gained some knowledge when she and Ren had their little Force mind meld.

But yeah. It's bullshit that she even knew Jedi could do mindtricks much less do one herself with zero training.
>>
>>64096461
Because she was trained by Luke Skywalker as his daughter. Why else would Anakin's lightsaber be calling out to her?
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 553x484) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 553x484
>>64096267

BECAUSE MIDICHLORIANS
>>
>>64096267
Bordering the sueism: the character
>>
She's some kind of force wunderkind, but how did Fin not get sliced in half during the light sabre fight?
>>
>>64096267
Ever heard of Darth Revan? That's basically Rey now. He was a powerful as fuck Jedi turned bad, so they mindwiped him and turned him into a grunt.

Rey was probably pretty high up in the Knights of Ren, maybe had more potential than even Kylo. After being discovered by Luke, she's recaptured and mindwiped by him, and sent to Jakku.

Moved by all the things that passed, Luke goes to Rakata Prime, which is now officially canon. Basically the homeworld of the force, where the people there first discovered they were hypertuned to it. But that was millions of years ago and it's deserted now.
>>
>>64096909
He got his shit kicked pretty hard though. Actually liked Fin when I thought I wouldn't. Rey just seems like she can do nothing wrong.
>>
>>64096978
Didn't he actually hurt Kylo Ren?
>>
>>64096966
Bit she was ditched on Jakku when she was very young, like 6 or 8.
>>
>>64097066
I think Fin nicked Ren on the arm. But at that point Ren was already shot. Dont think Rey shouldve been able to kick his ass the way she did.
>>
>>64097068
Red herring. She could be remembering another time Luke left but then came back shortly after.
>>
>>64096909
>but how did Fin not get sliced in half during the light sabre fight?
his spine did
>>
>>64097187
And what evidence do you have that it's a red herring?
>>
>>64097254
ids my panpik
>>
Didn't somebody guess that she is actually a Kenobi?
>>
>>64096624
>again it'll be explained in the next movie
I doubt it, maybe we get something like "wominz are stronger with the force or more sensitive to it" classic jj bullshit
>>
>>64096267
nice try, be more subtle next time redditor
>>
>>64097559
JJ is not directing the next movie.

If the idea of a woman Jedi irks you, you are in need of psychiatric medication tbqh
>>
Is the new star wars considered a 10/10 film? I didn't thin kit was very good, but i cant seem to enjoy anything lately. I get it was suppose to be a homage, but it stole way too much plot from the original movie.
>>
>>64097591
Dont know what else to say. Just saw the movie and that was my only concern about it. I enjoyed the rest of it. Even liked Fin, he was actuallyba relateable character. He had faults. Rey could do nthing wrong the whole film.
>>
>>64097617
Id give it 8.5/10
Liked everything but Rey and the lack of A and Y wings
>>
>>64097605
>If the idea of a woman Jedi irks you, you are in need of psychiatric medication tbqh
this better be a joke
>>
>>64097675
yes sure... whatever you say buddy
>>
>>64096461
Translation: the Mary Sue grrl-power character needed yet another deus ex machina skill to get put of a bad situation and the next movie's writers will have to mop up the mess.
>>
am i the only fucker around here who liked rey?
>>
>>64097854
this 2bh fampai
>>
>>64097885
>am i the only fucker that likes badly written main characters?
Unfortunately, no
>>
>>64097885
People seem to like Daisy Ridley more than the character herself.
>>
>>64096267
>How the fuck was Rey able to use the force as well as she did without being trained.

shit writing, simple as that. shit movie, too.
>>
>>64097384
then fuck off
>>
>>64097933
>wah people like what i don't like!

grow up it's only star wars
>>
>>64098074
She's the main character but she has the least compelling characterization.
>>
>>64097885
no i liked her, i think most people did, wouldn't suprise me if max was samefagging these shite threads
>>
>>64097738
>I liked everything except the main character
>>
>>64096267
>How the fuck was Rey able to use the force as well as she did without being trained. Like she was just able to do the mind trick and pull a lightsaber without any training. This was the only thing that really bothered me about the movie.

She's the Jean Gray of Star Wars
>>
>>64096267
Anyone thought that the reason she was able to do all this force shit is because she used the dark side? It's a quicker route to being powerful.

“Yes, a Jedi’s strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan’s apprentice.”

“If you end your training now — if you choose the quick and easy path as Vader did — you will become an agent of evil.”

Coupled with her natural talent this could be a reasonable explanation. She could get to Luke and he could be like "woah you used the dark side, channelled anger etc, do it like this." and she starts as a pleb like everyone else.
>>
>>64096624

"See things you will. The future, the past, the present." Yoda told Luke that in Empire. This could have been visions of the past that she saw because of the force, which is an actual thing that untrained force sensitives do (unlike Jedi mind tricks and lightsaber duelling).
>>
>>64097412
I would love this.
>>
>>64098240
Not this Jean that's for damn sure.
>>
>>64096267
>How the fuck was Rey able to use the force as well as she did without being trained
sue wars
>>
>>64098316

Tbh her successfully using the light side without training is totally stupid. The light side requires the suppression of emotion and worldly passion and desire. The dark side flows from emotion and passion, especially powerful emotions like hate or anger. An untrained person using the light side just really doesn't make sense.
>>
>>64097412

>mtf Kenobi
>TS Kenobi

NooooooOoOooooo
>>
>as a scavenger Rey collects Jedi objects and looks up for the Jedi as a myth from old times
>meets Solo who tells her with all the letters that it is all true
>finds Luke's saber and meets Maz who tells her she is strong and that the Force calls for her
>She observes as Kylo forces her arm down and induces her to sleep
>as Kylo tries to take stuff from her mind, she resists and gets to know she has power too, she sees how Kylo is surprised about her strenght
>if the Force is true as she was told and seen and she can even beat Kylo in that game, how about she uses that power?

I thought it was alright the way they handled it. She is very powerful, that is a given, but not too farfetched. Luke has never heard of the Force before Obi Wan (if I recall correctly), he just heard of the Jedi. I also think we are going to understand who she is in the next movie, if she is really Luke's daughter, why she was sparred or abandoned.

The movie is called "The Force Awakens" afterall. It seems to be about real anomalies in the Force.
>>
>>64097412

I would find it weird if she is Luke's daughter that she would have a British accent when Luke doesn't. I'm hoping she's a Palpatine desu. That would lend credibility to the mind wipe theory too.
>>
>>64098240
Holy shit, perfect description of Rey. I knew I've seen it somewhere. I also think Rey is the Jean Grey of SW, with huge powers that need to be mastered for good or else all is fucked.
>>
File: 1398642277771.jpg (27 KB, 387x461) Image search: [Google]
1398642277771.jpg
27 KB, 387x461
>>64098454

that'd be a fun plot
>>
File: 476cc-yoda2526youngling.jpg (108 KB, 440x210) Image search: [Google]
476cc-yoda2526youngling.jpg
108 KB, 440x210
> this is the only way to learn how to use the Force

The new movies are reverting to the more old-fashioned style of training. This shit is magic, it doesn't need a big explanation. Luke didn't need much formal training in ANH, and in ESB Yoda barely did anything
>>
>>64097412
People seem to forget that it is just wrong for Jedi to have kids, it was a big deal that Anakin was with Padmé. I know SW is about family and stuff, but still. Even having her be Luke's daughter is a bit weird. But Kenobi? The guy died a virgin.

On second thought, that would be some reason to abandon Rey, perhaps? Perhaps Jedis having kids and passing their midchlorian genes around only creates trouble, at least that's what happened to Anakin, both when he was Jedi and became a Sith for it as when he was a Sith and this Jedi son came to complicate his shit.
>>
>>64098563
This is so fucking dangerous
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.