[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TV for europoors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 1439137245412.jpg (28 KB, 540x466) Image search: [Google]
1439137245412.jpg
28 KB, 540x466
>There are some people on /tv/ right now who need a licence to watch TV

So, explain this shit to me, what does the licence do? How do you get it?

Do you have to walk into a test center, watch a show for an hour, and then they're like "okay, he can watch TV. Get him a licence" ????
>>
There's nowt on UK TV tonight, lads. What shall I watch?
>>
There's a written and a technical test.
The written one is a load of questions about big televised events in history.
The technical one is to see whether you can operate the remote.
There's more to it than above, but that should give you the general idea.
>>
>>64093942
And people say Burgerclaps are retarded.

It's not a fucking car, do you need to go to college to switch on the microwaves too? What the fuck.
>>
>>64094013
You do need a food safety officer to come by and approve of your kitchen and appliances. Used to be just once but now it's every three years. They check up on your hygiene and diet. Especially strict if you have small kids.
>>
>>64094013
>do you need to go to college to switch on the microwaves too?

Not quite but a safety officer does have to come around and be satisified that you know how to use it.
>>
It used to be the case that only people with a university degree were allowed to own and watch tv. This was done to encourage the lower classes to read and educate themselves in the evening instead of being drones in front of the telly.

This was ruled to be illegal discrimination by the ECHR and the British government instead introduced the written and technical test.
>>
Holy shit this is real, I thought this was like the no singles policy but you fucking goofs really have to get a tv license
>>
>>64093942
I did my test before the digital switchover, so part of my practical exam was about Teletext.
We'd had Freeview (IE digital) for a few years, so I didn't really know what Teletext was although I remember my grandad using it to check the weather and things.
As it happened, the examiner asked me to bring up the weather map. I just randomly pressed the coloured buttons and thankfully the weather came up. The examiner then said, "show me the weather for the Channel Islands". I pressed the green button and it brought up some sort of football quiz.

I had to book a re-sit.
>>
Do britbongs have to get international licenses to watch TV in other countries?
>>
>>64094447
We're ok in the EU
>>
>>64094447
The government has signed treaties with other countries that also have licenses so we can use it in those places or to recieve their stations.
It's mainly other EU countries though, so we still have to apply for a tv visa when visiting a bit further away from home.
>>
>>64093787
>There are some people on /tv/ right now who need a licence to watch TV
No, you don't
>>
>>64094447
Sounds like you'd need a VISA and perform a citizenship test to do so. I know theyre trolling about the food safety guy now, but still. You need a licence to start watching TV.

In a way I'm starting to think other countries can learn from this, like, forcing educating on people before they want to do something lazy
>>
>>64094597
Tbf, the tv visa is pretty easy to pass and you usually take it at the same place and time as your plane passenger exam.
>>
>>64093787
>brits
>europe
pick one
>>
>European tv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SftrqBO0H6o
>>
>>64094774

europe
>>
>>64093787
Just let me tell you a story about how it is in Switzerland. In Switzerland you have to pay about 500$ each year for watching TV and listening to radio. The money goes to the state owned TV and Radio stations, wich are basically useless shit propaganda channels.

There is a privately owned company that collects the money and uses questionable measures to find out if somebody who doesn't have a license, really doesn't own a TV or a radio.

There are cases in which people had a broken TV in the basement and they were still forced to pay for the TV license. It is almost impossible to stay clear of the radio license, since they count a car radio or a cell phone as a radio reciever.

I pay for radio only, since I don't watch TV. I still use a TV as my HTPC screen and they will probably fuck me because of this, once they illegaly invade my home. But what really bugs me is that I have to pay for radio, because I honestly never listened to radio at home in my whole live.

The funny thing is they could just collect the money as a tax and it would be cheaper because they don't need the company that does the house invasions. They just decided, to make everbody pay no matter what (so basically a tax), but they will still use the company to collect the money (WTF?).

I bet this is the most cucked version of TV licensing in the whole world.
>>
File: 1441022561473.jpg (7 KB, 221x311) Image search: [Google]
1441022561473.jpg
7 KB, 221x311
Search warrants

In some cases, TV Licensing may apply to a magistrate (or a sheriff in Scotland) for a search warrant as part of the enforcement process.[136] According to TV Licensing such an application may only be made 'when there is good reason to believe that an offence has been committed, evidence of the commission of that offence is likely to be found, and conditions regarding access to the property warrant the granting of a search warrant'.[136] The same source also states that 'The BBC contracts Capita Business Services Ltd to carry out television licensing enforcement activities, including applying for and executing search warrants.' The BBC's contractor uses powers granted by Section 366 of the Communications Act 2003 to apply for and exercise search warrants.[137] The Act specifies that the search warrant is valid for a month after being granted. According to the BBC, such warrants are usually served in the presence of police officers
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.