[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Quentin Tarantino pries open American ugliness in The Hateful
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 250
Thread images: 21
File: thehateful8-teaser-poster.jpg (2 MB, 1350x1000) Image search: [Google]
thehateful8-teaser-poster.jpg
2 MB, 1350x1000
>Quentin Tarantino pries open American ugliness in The Hateful Eight. His Civil War/Agatha Christie/John Ford omnibus western uses racial epithets with unbounded insensitivity. The film’s macro-aggressions surpass anything in movie history (outcussing even QT’s own vulgar Django Unchained). In a too-hip-for-the-room way, The Hateful Eight vents the bottled-up venom that is the reality behind political correctness. Not a happy thing.

>As always, QT is concerned only with expressing his antisocial impulse. The Hateful Eight doesn’t aim for historical realism, just the movie-based, juvenile fantasies of brash frat boys and oily hipsters. QT casts alter-ego Samuel L. Jackson as Major Marquis Warren, a black Civil War veteran turned bounty hunter who commandeers a group of white ne’er-do-wells who are snowbound at a Wyoming stagecoach stop, Minnie’s Haberdashery. Warren is in the socially inferior but morally superior position of rectifying and scaring his honky entourage: fellow bounty hunter John Ruth (Kurt Russell), prisoner Daisy (Jennifer Jason Leigh), and henchmen Jody (Channing Tatum), Joe Gage (Michael Madsen), and Bob (Demian Bichir), plus General Smithers (Bruce Dern) and Sheriff Mannix (Walton Goggins). Warren sets things straight like the black stud heroes from the Seventies blaxploitation films that the teenage Tarantino suckled on. But Warren’s revenge isn’t the film’s point; he simply ignites QT’s pandemonium. After an intermission, QT himself steps in as voice-over narrator to claim — and further entangle — the mass-murder plot.
>>
File: The Time Has Come.png (63 KB, 1000x920) Image search: [Google]
The Time Has Come.png
63 KB, 1000x920
>The Hateful Eight is not a national microcosm such as John Ford explored in the 1939 Stagecoach, where the classes and sexes clashed. (William Inge’s 1956 Bus Stop used the same premise.) Tarantino has no interest in American political or psychological history. His stand-in, SamJack, serves the same function here as when playing the pimp-emcee of Spike Lee’s cultural burlesque Chi-Raq. Like Lee, Tarantino is basically unserious; both filmmakers show antipathy to human suffering, evoking past or current experience simply to display personal impudence. Titled after cut-rate Italian spaghetti westerns, The Hateful Eight dramatizes another of QT’s references to social chaos, specifically, the 2012 movie-theater massacre in Aurora, Colo.

>That’s not a stretch; the two-part Kill Bill was QT’s proto–Abu Ghraib satire. (As Jean-Luc Godard corroborated in an interview, no thinking person can deny the concurrence of those QT films with that incident of nasty American GI folly.) Politically unschooled, Tarantino links movie genres to mundane catastrophe; his entire output solders unconscionable cruelty to American moviegoers’ heartless sense of entitlement. He indulges the thrill of destruction that used to be the delectation ascribed to yahoos but, after the sea-change of his Pulp Fiction, is now defended by “intellectuals.”
>>
File: The Gay Republican Negro.jpg (94 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
The Gay Republican Negro.jpg
94 KB, 300x279
>No wonder QT launched his publicity campaign for The Hateful Eight by taking an unprecedented position favoring the current anti-police protests. This dubious act of “solidarity” with the Black Lives Matter crusade showed how truly out of touch Tarantino is with African-American lives. His films demonstrate that he relates to black culture only through fanboy fantasy. Despite his specious protesting, The Hateful Eight accepts racial hostility as endemic to American culture. That’s why, having relished Shaft, Hammer, and Slaughter and been aroused by Pam Grier’s films, Tarantino feels he has a right to manipulate a black protagonist and the dynamics of race relations in The Hateful Eight – as if he himself were a black man with a cause. This is an extension of what Tarantino’s producer-distributor, Harvey Weinstein, called “The Obama Effect.”

>In response to Obama-era sanctimony, and feeling safe from any accusations of racism, Tarantino acts as if he is justified in ignoring public decorum and any societal misgivings in his outpouring of America’s #1 racial epithet. He puts unreserved hostility in his white characters’ mouths and — with the encouragement of an Academy Award for the scabrous Django Unchained — challenges anyone to resent it. (Major Warren’s adjustment to the N-word distorts its usage by today’s multiculti generation.) In lieu of dramatic excitement, The Hateful Eight derides Obama-era politesse for little stabs of bigoted satisfaction. QT liberates his white characters (and his audiences) from well-mannered reticence.
>>
>The Hateful Eight indulges the most heinous racist fantasies, climaxing in SamJack’s parody of Abraham Lincoln’s largesse, plus a flashback of black phallic domination addressed to Dern’s Confederate general. This scene’s pretense of emasculating two generations of white manliness is a private joke derived from blaxploitation’s get-whitey convention. But it seems that Tarantino himself has probably not quite figured it out. So, instead of writing characters with emotional complexity, he mangles narrative structure while twisting the American vernacular.

>Language in The Hateful Eight overwhelms the story. It obliterates the law-and-order concern that is basic to the western while trivializing the film’s race-relations subtext. (The scene of a white woman’s lynching doesn’t exactly pay reparations.) Tarantino’s wigger use of “nigger” goes back to pre–Civil-Rights-era defamation — not hip-hop’s fraternal term “nigga,” which linguists might describe as infra dig. Given our current national dialogue on race (ha!), QT’s linguistic offenses are meant to appease both guilt-ridden whites and resentful blacks. This affront is likely to suit the aberrant feelings of outrage that fuel the recent puerile protests. (“See, this proves white cops are racists,” the anarchists will chime. But are they ticket-buyers?)
>>
We get it, it's a cuck film for pathetic cucks.
>>
based Armond. Truly the voice of /tv/
>>
File: White Man's Burden.png (49 KB, 300x207) Image search: [Google]
White Man's Burden.png
49 KB, 300x207
>The etymology of the word “nigger” and its faddish evolution are not explained by The Hateful Eight’s fiction. Instead, Tarantino’s insensitive goof abuses political sophistication; his liberalism dispenses with caution and opts for shamelessness. He is clearly indifferent to the humanism exhibited in the remarkable 1967 western Hombre, where director Martin Ritt and two of Hollywood’s most talented screenwriters, Irving Ravetch and Harriet Frank Jr., sought to clarify Civil-Rights-era complexities. As Hombre’s half–Native American outlaw, Paul Newman faced down feckless settlers and brazen villains and was instructed, “You will find that white people stick together.” It was a revelatory moment for liberal Hollywood — never to be repeated.

>Today, QT indulges the “post-racial” delusions of the Obama era, which sanction his up-front, unapologetic hostility, freely unleashing the country’s hidden disgust. After the Motion Picture Academy’s endorsement of Django Unchained, Tarantino’s racist invective is likely to have a greater effect than any of the quasi-political games played in films like Straight Outta Compton or Chi-Raq. The Hateful Eight will be seen more widely, and Tarantino’s command of the culture (such as his acceptance by academics) will, regrettably, continue.
>>
File: white.jpg (22 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
white.jpg
22 KB, 300x279
>All this was to be expected from QT’s fashionable degenerate habits. But it’s especially dismaying that the dialogue-driven Tarantino doesn’t rise to the fanboy challenge he set himself by filming The Hateful Eight on 70mm celluloid, as if reviving cinema’s original aesthetic. QT has never been a visually accomplished filmmaker like Ford, Sam Peckinpah, or Sergio Leone, and his close-ups and shallow focus (particularly the undistinguished wintry exterior vistas and the scenes of foreground convulsions while the background is blurred) only recall cheap B-movies. This contradicts the deluxe visual imagery that once made 70mm roadshow exhibitions a moviegoer’s delight. The purpose of David Lean’s, Carol Reed’s, and Stanley Kubrick’s 70mm films was to magnify, if not glorify, human complexity. The complete ugliness of The Hateful Eight only proves that the high-class roadshow presentation has — like racial empathy — gone the way of social etiquette.

Merry Christmas /tv/
>>
>>64077182
>John Ford omnibus western

Quentin would reject that because he hates John Ford

>Quentin Tarantino has no love lost for John Ford. "One of my American Western heroes is not John Ford, obviously," Tarantino, who directed the Spaghetti Western "Django Unchained," told TheRoot.com in a new interview. "To say the least, I hate him."

>That disdain comes, in part, from the fact that Ford appeared in the 1915 D.W. Griffith film "The Birth of a Nation" in an uncredited role as a Klansman. In the film, Ford's character is forced to raise one side of his hood so that he can see clearly while riding a horse. The scene inspired Tarantino to write a similar one in "Django Unchained," where the Regulators -- an early iteration of the Klu Klux Klan -- argue about being able to see through the bags on their heads.
>>
>>64077354
What a cuck.
>>
>>64077354
it's a black male thing
>>
>>64077354
You can't deny he borrows some aesthetic elements from Ford thought
>>
all those words and all I could come up with was this movie is not very good.
Guess I'm just dumb.
>>
>>64077182
I wonder what Armond's top movies of the year will be
I was really surprised he liked Sicario and didn't hate Inside Out
>>
>>64077545
I was surprised he panned Bridge of Spies
>>
File: 1426062491106.png (304 KB, 722x768) Image search: [Google]
1426062491106.png
304 KB, 722x768
>>64077182
>the black stud heroes from the Seventies blaxploitation films that the teenage Tarantino suckled on
>>
Yeah this movie was absolute shit. I literally cringed when he started narrating.
>>
Armond was going to hate this movie because it wasn't directed by a black man. He genuinely seems to think that only black Americans should be able to tell black American stories and anyone else doing it is some sort of cinematic sin.

Armond seems to think slavery stories matter more then anything else on Earth, he's a fucking lunatic any time a white man or non-American black directs anything to do with slavery.
>>
>>64077565
Well one of the reasons he always like Spielberg was that he never went entirely cynical or anti-american with his movies. Then recently he started going that route.
>>
>>64077639
Read his Creed review
>>
>>64077639

doesnt he also hate Spike Lee though?
>>
>>64077182
WARM
>>
>>64077639
Yeah but QT has such a weird thing with black people. Cuck memes aside, it is honestly kind of creepy.
>>
DINGUS
I
N
G
U
S
>>
It was just a boring, shifty movie.
Only thing more pathetic than Tarantino is his fan boys trying to defend this movie.
>>
>>64077649

>Bridge of Spies
>anti-american

That movie was so pro-America I'm pretty sure a bald eagle flew out of my TV after I watched it. That was a passionate defence of pure American values in the face of crushing pressure.

>>64077672

Creed was directed by a black American man, that's part of my point.

>>64077711

I can't imagine anyone with a brain watching Hateful Eight and thinking it's some pro-black propaganda.
>>
>>64077354
he is so urban
>>
Reading politics and current events where it isn't.
>>
>>64077893
I think I might have been thinking of his Black or White review
>>
>>64077182
>>64077207
>>64077217
>>64077248
>>64077284
>>64077298
he's right but this was still a better picture than the revenant, mad max, star wars etc and other on-par empty pleb shit

due to how dialogue-driven this film is, it really only stands 1 viewing, but the other films i mentioned don't stand even that
>>
>>64078113

Get fucked.

This movie is total shit. It's visually depressing because he filmed it in 70mm and then put 90% of the movie indoors. It's got awful dialogue with some of the worst C-list tier acting in a major motion picture in a while. And it goes on way too long for no payoff.

Hateful Eight is so filled with these dumb little hack gimmicks that you could tell Tarantino was giggling to himself about while making it, thinking he's so clever and edgy. He's not. He thinks he can do one better on legends like John Ford. He can't. Hateful Eight is a hollow fucking shell, a bootleg, padded with Tarantino's shitty "quirks" that only him and his pom-pom waving cheerleaders think is clever anymore.

And worst of all, it's boring. It's a boring, three hour long movie with nothing to redeem it. The story attempts to be twisty, but is merely stupid. The dialogue is badly written and badly delivered. The pacing crawls. The "action" is weak and without a point. The "mystery" is pathetic and the interactions hamhanded.

So it is worse than all those movies you listed, because it fails in the primary goal of a movie, which is to entertain.

Good job.
>>
>>64077354
What a faggot
>there are people who don't think he was redeemed by Intolerance
>there are professionals who don't know this
And hating someone for having a fucking cameo role? Why then not hate everyone who even watched it? Hey Quentin, that theater you owned probably screened it. Why not dig up the grave of the projectionist and shit on him for aiding and abetting in racism?
>>
>>64078113
It wasn't actually, but nice try
Even Tarantino named Mad Max MOTY
>>
>>64077182
So does he like Obama?
There are black republicans?
Aren't black republicans literally what Samuel L Jackson in Django portrayed?
>>
>>64077939
It is though
Tarantino is sociopolitical as fuck
>>
>>64078225
>because it fails in the primary goal of a movie, which is to entertain
Good job outing yourself as a pleb
>>
>>64078225
Agree with most of this. I also don't get why people are saying Leigh and Goggins gave good performances. Because they faked a bad accent? None of it was convincing.
>>
>>64078281
Your life is a better joke than the one you attempted to write
>>
File: shutterstock_35281804.jpg (1021 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_35281804.jpg
1021 KB, 1000x667
are the people shitting on hateful 8 the same assholes that walk out halfway thru jackie brown? go watch transformers, losers
>>
>>64078327
Seriously though is he for Obama or not?
He called Revenant the Obama western and he didn't trash the movie.
>>
>>64078377
He did trash it though
God damn, he really is a pleb filter. How can you faggots not understand English? Armond writes at like an 11th grade reading level
>>
>>64078281
The first black congressman elected in the Reconstruction era after the Civil War represented the Republican Party.
>>
>>64078409
But he didn't hate it as much as other movies.
He even called it pretty and sometimes tense
>>
>>64078336
Deal with it bro. Both Hateful Eight and Jackie Brown were shit movies.
>>
>>64078336
Is Jackie Brown being the best Tarantino movie an internet meme?
Most people rate it higher than deathproof and kill Bill but always lower than the others
>>
>>64078413

The republican parties central platform at the time of the civil war was abolition.
>>
>>64078297

You know why people, including Tarantino, liked the old movies that Tarantino soullessly rips off in his self-aggrandizing attempt to convince himself he can one-up them?

Because they were entertaining. Not only were they well shot, skillfully directed, and self-aware, but they were entertaining movies as well.

Only dumb hipsters such as yourself who see something in Quentin Tarantino's ego-driven wiggerfests sit through these boring fucking movies like Hateful Eight in an attempt to gain some kind of "cred". All you did was watch some shitty Emperor's New Clothes movie, asshole.

You are like the idiots who claim Jackie Brown is worth something. I read the book, and it was boring then. And I watched the movie, and it was a fantastic waste of Pam Grier and an overall mediocre muddle.

Tarantino peaked with Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. Everything he's made since has been him running high on his own memes because of 20 year old college fuck enablers who keep telling him his shit doesn't stink.
>>
>>64078431
He's only giving credit where credit is due. Learn to read contextually.
>>
>>64078471
It's half meme half earnest. There are lots of self-labeled cinephiles who think praising a director's most panned or mediocre work means that they "got it" while everyone else clearly missed something.

They do this shit with Eyes Wide Shut, too.
>>
>>64078480
Right, and now it's slavery? Fuck off with your shit juvenile understand of American politics
>he seriously uses a party name as a devisive sweeping political label
You are literally a 19 Sanders supporter who doesn't know how to think about something beyond the status quo
>>
>>64077354

>quentin would reject that

Your post literally gives an example of qt being inspired by John Ford. He can't reject it, it's a fact.
>>
>>64078576

>Jackie Brown
>most panned

That's Death Proof man. Even at the time Jackie Brown got decent if not amazing reviews, Death Proof got fucking savaged when it came out.
>>
I'll never watch this.
I'm sick and tired of being lectured to about America race racism Jews Nazis whatever by some burnt out unfunny foot fetishist weirdo. I don't care if it's pro or anti any side. His films were a novelty in the 90's but that has long since worn away.
Doesn't anyone else find this hack woefully tedious by now?
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 500x377
If Jackie Brown was his best then it would appear in more webm threads and watchofficemojo videos.
I haven't seen it yet but I literally have no idea what's it about compared to the rest of Tarantinos shit that gets constantly posted.
>>
>>64078471
I though it was okay, but it's vastly different to the kind of shit he makes now and I think a lot better.
>>
>>64077182
Surprisingly good movie. It only got cringy when they were in the stage coach talking about the confederate flag, it felt too forced.

Good score, annoyingly over the top at points (only with the blood effects) and Walton Goggins is literally the best part of the film.
>>
>>64077182
>lists who the henchmen are
why do reviewers intentionally spoil shit like this. already saw the movie, but fuck me if reviewers who do this shit arent pieces of shit.
>>
>>64078576
You're retarded
People like Eyes Wide Shut because it's a one of a kind movie that, despite its small scale, utilizes the best elements of Kubrick he has to offer. It's certainly in his top 3 of all time and a genuine masterpiece of a film
>>
>>64078757
It has some good musics selection
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifBvt0jmX8w
>>
>>64078225
>>64078521

SAVAGE
>>
>>64078521
>in an attempt to gain some kind of "cred".
why would I watch a cuckoldino movie to get any "cred"? I don't even like his catalogue very much. I don't like his style (or lack thereof), I don't like his taste. I'm well aware I'm comparing garbage to garbage, but his movie this year, Hateful Eight (even with all his typical bullshit) managed to be more sincere and "entertaining" than trash like the revenant and other mainstream award contenders. It was also much better than what he had come up with in a long time (kill bill, django etc other meme shit)

>>64078267
that's too bad

I couldn't stand it on any level. Felt like a video game.
>>
>>64078954

Then explain how it was more "sincere" than all those other movies. Go on.
>>
>>64078954
You probably don't play much videogames.
>>
>>64079008
Don't say this as it was a bad thing you manchild
>>
>>64079070

So why are you comparing it to a videogame if you don't play many videogames? You're just another dumb assclown who thinks he knows what's up when all you are is a pretentious pseudointellectual fuckwit.

Which explains why you thought there was any value in Hateful Eight. It's too bad that you're such a dull, humorless piece of hipster shit or else you could ask Santa to give you a sense of taste and perspective.
>>
>>64079070
It's not a bad thing in itself, but in this particular case, it does make you sound a bit like a pretentious idiot, because it clearly shows you talk out of your ass.
>>
>>64079130
>>64079145
As if I needed more than 30 seconds to know videogames are anti-intellectual garbage. You neckbeards are hilarious
>>
>Watched 8ful8 on dvdscreener
>meh
>Go to theater to watch it on 70mm
>20 minutes into movie guy in back of theater has seizure and dies.
>House lights come up
>film stops
>get refund
This movie is so bad a guy literally died rather then watch the ending of it.
>>
>it's an Armond "Based CineGod" White destroys plebs for the 7365th time episode
>>
>>64079070
>>64079226
You're trying too hard faggot
>>
>>64078989
I felt like it didn't try to impress me as much as his more recent work. Somehow it felt less cynical and annoying/aggressive compared to his recent movies. (despite the language used). Even the score he got permission to use (which I imagined he was going to turn into a meme) was used only when actually needed. Everything about the movie completely inverted my expectations. I was expecting some kind of cuckolding fantasy with an Ennio Morricone soundtrack, but really it was just a harmless mystery that aroused natural intrigue over the course of the run time. Nothing about it made me roll my eyes (not even the narration in the middle). Maybe it comes down to what I was actually expecting out of it. I was expecting something a lot more immature.
>>
>>64077182

>A nigger holding a rank of major in any army during the civil war

Immersion broken
>>
>>64079252
>trusting guy who liked Fast and Furious and Eli Roth
>>
>>64079008
Not really but I'd rather pick up a video game than watch a dull flick like Fury Road. Both are empty and aggressive, but with the latter I'd at least get to press buttons and do something.
>>
>>64079270

It was the same shit as all his other movies. Nigger nigger nigger and a lot of dialogue with a big violent moment at the end. Only everything was worse. The pointless narration. The bizarre pop song he put in during the carriage ride for about a minute. The shitty mystery which only kicked in 2/3rds through the movie. Oh and big warm black dingus.

You have failed to give any reason why this movie wasn't a complete waste of film vomited up by a nebulous hack drunk on his own ego. All you have done is say "well, I thought it would be total shit, but it wasn't total shit to me." You said nothing. You're an empty hack, like your gremlin-faced idol.
>>
>>64079372
yikes I'm sorry I prefer things that are slightly less shit over things that are complete shit

>big warm black dingus
great commentary kid

all I really took out of your comment is that you're an oversensitive 16 year old from /r/movies with memetic robotic thoughts shared by 98% of the internet
>>
>>64078471
>Liking JB is a meme

No, it's a sign you aren't a manchild. It's objectively his most grounded, humanistic movie. It has much of the trademark coolness and dialogue of PF and RD, but toned down a bit with more focus on developing the characters and their relationships. Add some good camerawork and excellent soundtrack, and Tarantulino actually made a real film.

By contrast, PF and RD turn up the quirk, violence, and pulp a few notches, and turn down the grounded characterization, but not to an excessive extent, thus they're still good.

But his post-Jackie Brown movies lose all touch with reality. DU, IB etc. are essentially live-action cartoons. They just take elements Tarantino enjoys (quirky dialogue and superficial characterization, outlandish violence, stylized music), and turn them to 150% intensity without a hint of realism or anything relatable.

If "most people rate JB lower," it's because these "people" you speak of are 14-23-year-old fedoras who enjoy live-action cartoons, Breaking Bad, Star Wars, etc. Fedora manchildren.
>>
>>64079372
It's baffling to me how the common idiot couldn't predict this would be yet another version of every post-2000 movie he's made, with a few superficial elements like setting switched around.

He practically used the same actor to play the same character in IB and DU. I guess it says a lot about the average movie goer that they'll literally pay for this superficial reworking and enjoy it.
>>
>>64078704
Yes. He hasn't put out a decent movie since Kill Bill.

Death Proof at least was harmless, gimmicky fun. But ever since Basterds he's doing nothing but tooting his own horn. That movie was just three hours of masturbation.

>I think this one's my masterpiece
Oh fuck off
>>
>>64079604
You really don't think H8 is any better than IB and DU and other post-2000 stuff?

H8 felt much more closer to RD
>>
>>64079496
fucking idiot
>>
>>64079719
Kill Bill was so boring tbqh

only good thing about it was Uma Thurman and the more human scenes from vol 2
>>
>>64079491

It's hilarious you call me a rebbit memester when you have given literally no reasons for why this movie isn't a complete dogpile other than "it was more sincere, somehow."

Now, you want to make assumptions about me? Fine, let's psychoanalyze each other over the internet. I have no doubt you are some bitter 20something college hipster home on break. You torrented this movie simply because Tarantino is a "big deal" despite the fact you were likely not sapient enough during the 90s to understand why. You watched this shit movie, and you did not enjoy it, but because you are a sheltered hipster lacking context, you felt like it must have value because you have learned that fun is for plebs.

And because you are a retarded little hipster, you never learned to argue. So you come on the internet spouting your meaningless opinion not backed up by anything, and when you get called out on it all you can do is project like a motherfucker, because you cannot accept that you don't know what you're talking about.

Am I getting warm here? Am I like Samuel L. Jackson's big black dingus down your throat? You want to tell me some more about who I am or do you want to give actual reasons why this movie wasn't total shit, something other than "muh sincerity" or some other "feels" bullshit?

You want to try?
>>
>>64079775
Both were fun as fuck, they're examples of the campy atmosphere that Tortelini has overused in every project since
>>
>>64079818
Pull down your pants, tuck your weak faggot boner between your legs, bend over and show us your boy pussy you raging fucking fag.
>>
ITT Armand posts on 4chan.
>>
>>64079818
Pretty close, except I did like it genuinely because it felt more like 90s tarantino

>because you have learned that fun is for plebs

more than anything, this is more of a practical meme I've come to find out about through noticing that the things plebs find fun (like mad max, force awakens) are things I don't find fun

so I count 1+1 and jump to the easy conclusion that whenever the large majority agree that something is shit, then more often than not it actually isn't

of course there are exceptions, but as for the case of H8 I was right once more

and no overall I'm not that great at practical arguing. I go more by instinct feeling and turn those instincts into aggressive shitposts (sometimes feigned with post-ironic sincerity) since there's nothing else to be gained out of posting here anyway
>>
Good thread.
>>
>>64080039
>Pretty close, except I did like it genuinely because it felt more like 90s tarantino

But it wasn't. It lacked the detached, cool performances and smooth directorial style that tricked people into believing Tarantino had talent back in the 90s.

It's more modern Tarantino: a faggot high on his own meems shitting out another genre blend piece of hackery with ham acting for his pet actors, poorly written monologuing, and shoddy pacing.

You are literally wrong about everything and you admit your only argument is "muh feels." GJ.
>>
>>64079825
You don't think it was overused in Kill Bill? Seriously?
>>
>>64079491
sorry, you don't get to accuse others of being >reddit when you praise a Tarantula movie. His movies are worshiped by redditors and manchildren who have the same sensibilities of redditors.
>>
>>64080187
There it felt fun (and he knew when to tone it down, like for parts of 2) as opposed to making the whole movie feel intentionally stupid (Death Proof)
>>
>>64077182
>>64077207
>>64077217
>>64077248

I like based Armond, but he seems oversensitive here, the word nigger in Hateful 8 wasn't used without context, and Samuel Jackson was deliberately the Hercules Poirot character in the story, a black man that isn't respected by anybody takes it up to himself to be the detective.

What he should emphasize is the permanent weakness in Tarantino's films which is style over substance.
>>
>>64080186
>It's more modern Tarantino: a faggot high on his own meems
You know it could be that I accidentally got a whiff of his memes through the screener I watched

>>64080186
>You are literally wrong about everything
I seriously doubt it but you seem to have Tarantino's catalogue more vividly burned into your brain so I may not have such a good frame of reference for comparing H8 to his older flicks, which could lead me in overrating my enjoyment out of this new movie

>>64080230
watch me, cuck
>>
Jackie Brown was better, and more subtly, about race relations because there were adult voices at the table. Forster and Grier were fantastic, Keaton and Bowen just a step down from them, and Jackson was alright too, mostly because he's playing an actual person. What's off putting about Hateful 8 is that it's a big cartoon, with evil whitey vs heroic darkie. It's an entertaining film, it just didn't need the agenda in it.

To be fair though, our national dialogue about this shit is a cartoon too. If Hateful 8 is mostly supposed to be a lower case b black comedy, then it mostly succeeds. There's more than a few great jokes in it.
>>
>>64079496
Completely nailed it. My thoughts on Tarantino exactly. It says something about the people who feel otherwise that they think "fucking idiot" is an appropriate response to somebody having a different opinion about something ultimately inconsequential.
>>
File: 1450802407846.png (22 KB, 954x588) Image search: [Google]
1450802407846.png
22 KB, 954x588
Why doesn't Quentin just come out and become a black cockslut like he clearly wants to. What a little fuccboi.
>>
>>64080772
How often do you think that he lets black men fuck Uma Thurman while he watches from his cuck-closet and possibly sucking on her toes at the same time?
>>
>>64080545
>Hateful 8 is a big cartoon

All post-2000 Tarantino is just cartoons with IRL actors.
>>
>>64080772
>>64080819
The elephant in the room of course is slavery and African men being bred for physical prowess. The meme unfolding in real life looked something like white men scared of black men's revenge, black men's bodies fetishized to the point of nonsense, black men responding rightfully with concerns about their dignity as human beings, white men revealing it's actually about the fear of black men stealing their white women with their big black dinguses, the degeneracy of the modern american female fetishizing this fear, black men responding to every current perceived injustice with muh dick because it's what they feel (and rightfully so) is their only true voice. It's all a fucking cartoon and we've dumbed ourselves down enough to not recognize it as such. Don't know how to fix it, just calling it like I see it.
>>
>>64078225
All these words you could have simply said I'm a white guy who is offended by the black cock sucking scene.
>>
>>64081319
That post was much more articulate and insightful than anything a Breaking Bad, Tarantino, Nolan, or Star Wars fan could even imagine writing.

Your post could have simply said "I'm a fedora-manchild with an average-at-best IQ who is impressed with batsuits, blue drugz, and epic quirky dialogue"
>>
>>64081420
I was paraphrasing his whining.
>>
Why did Tarrantino do that voice over? Not only could he solved this more elegantly some other way I suppose, but him doing it was what really killed it. Also the whole chapter stuff didn't really work because there seems to be no sense to their individual length.
>>
>>64081495
Agree with this. Don't get it.
>>
tl;dr
>>
>>64081453
I was paraphrasing your stunted emotional and intellectual "development."
>>
>>64081495
I saw it twice and went over the script: there is nothing at all that the narration supplies that is not shown except that Leigh sees the coffee get poisoned.

It would have been improved by about 20 times if he just took that shot of someone poisoning the coffee while Leigh watched and put it in during SLJ's monolog.

It's established, no narration at all needed, and the intrigue is put in without having to go back in time to show it to the audience.
>>
>>64081525
Didn't like the score either. The trailer had a better feel to it. As matter a fact I don't remember that piece from trailer being in the movie at all. Maybe it was intentional but the music was too dark for my taste, as in depressive. If at least it was good music, but it seemed more like bad ambient computer generated by an algorhythm.

Shots were unnecessary long too. Like he wanted to stretch the movie to be longer in order to justify an intermission. I think it would've been much better if they had tightened it up to 120 minutes.
>>
>>64081622
/thread
>>
>>64077182
>>64077207
>>64077217
>>64077248
>>64077284
>>64077298
It's amazing how he can say so much yet so little
>>
>>64077182
possibly one of the most boring film ive seen this year and probably ever, how did this even get made? did nobody read the script?
>>
>>64082297
>possibly one of the most boring film ive seen this year
just wait until you see the revenant and steve jobs
>>
>>64081647
My guess is that the chapters are used as a device to break up Quentin's perceived monotony of the majority of the film being a one room shot. But I agree, for the coffee scene, he could have just stuck with the 15 mins earlier bit and the establishing shot without the narration and the audience would have gotten it just fine. My second guess is that he couldn't figure it out on the other hand, that he didn't know how to transition from 15 mins earlier back to present time in a way that looked good to him, so now there's a dangling unresolved flaw that the rest of the movie is hanging on. So, let's narrate.
>>
File: abandon_thread.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
abandon_thread.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>le "if you think movies should be entertaining you're a pleb" meme
>>
>>64081647
>>64082370
Or I'm sorry, you're right, take out 15 mins earlier entirely. The story doesn't need it. Maybe he thought having the shot would detract too much from the monologue?
>>
Why does everyone say this film has a great story? have hipsters taken of here?

there's a lot and i mean a lot of fucking exposition but theres nothing of substance theres nothing at the end it';s literally a murder mystery but the most boring take on it. People getting killed for no reason he literally did this for money and this film is not bombing because of star wars its bombing because of how shit it looks and sounds.

Anyone saying this film has a great soundtrack go fuck yourself, literally tyhe shittest score in film and saying something with all this marvel crap about
Next the visuals started of great bt the whiole film in a fucking cabin, so why does it even mateter, this is tarentino being lazy as fuck
The fucking narrating to us like we retarded?
The countless amounts of mysogyny
Fuck this film I literally hate this film, like I cant even fucking describe anymore how i wasted 3 hourrs of my life on this shit on xmas day, wtf, not to add that every other word was fucking 'nigger' when there';s only one black man in the film, explain that
>>
>>64082499
wew lad
>>
>>64079372
Blacks are the most boring people on earth. They really are. They have all the depth of 12 year olds. Try talking to a black person about anything and you'll never get more than a superficial response.

How do I know this? My father is black. I've had a thousand great conversations with my asian mother ...but not a single interesting conversation with my father.

Plus, Quentin is a joke and his movies are trash. Peace.
>>
>>64082499
Opens today. Theaters in the States barely popping the corn at present time. How is it bombing again?
>>
>>64082614
Is this a Tiger Woods joke? Or did I just make it for you?
>>
>>64082484
I think it would've been cooler anyway. People would've wondered what happened to the coffee and who drank it and who didn't. He didn't need to spell it out. Might as well could've been a little hint like SLJ seeing the sugar ball on the ground.

Could've just indicated it by some guy claiming to not like coffee when being offered. I don't know.
>>
>>64082416
They don't have to be, really. You can do whatever you want and chances are someone will find it entertaining

I guess it depends on what you're goal is
>>
>>64082788
your*
>>
Jesus Christ, you guys literally hate every movie
>>
>>64082844
I don't hate it but seems not as good as it could be. It seems like a rough cut.
>>
>>64077639
>only black Americans should be able to tell black American stories
I actually agree with this.
>>
>>64082716
Agreed. The fact that SLJ knew something was off at the beginning was one of the strongest bits. He could have played the coffee the same way.
>>
medicore, very glad i saw the screener.

Things I liked:

- goggins
- some of the jokes
- the who dunnit style story
- the lincoln letter
- the door
- ob
- the bounty hunter and gang chick sort of getting on together
- the guitar song

Things I disliked:

- big black dingus, what the fuck is uno farto a shitposter of the cuck meme or something, it was so jarring and SLJ literally said it like how you read the meme, it was so stupid
- the soundtrack was very dull
- the NZ chick, why on earth was she there other than to be cute? NZer being in old time america is so unlikely and they didnt have the nz accents at that time, they sounded pretty much the same as brits.
- minnie being married to some white guy openly
- there was a huge amount that needed to be cut, a lot of the coach shots went on far too long, why were we shown the rope being set up to the outhouse
- the gang chick making licking faces at SLJ

I think uno farto should stick to making movies set in the modern era. His worst films imo are the "historical" ones, DU, IB and this one.
His style doesnt suit historical times, and the themes and characters he likes to include dont make sense within the time period.
I dont feel hateful 8 is a waste of time, i wasnt doing anything else, but it is defiantly not worth seeing in cinema. My least favorite tarantino films are kill bill part 2 and IB.
>>
>>64082913
Get ready for shit movies then.

Whites are clearly superior in every single facet and category of filmmaking. Blacks run fast, and talk about themselves...that's it.
>>
>>64083058

/pol/ go please
>>
>>64083058
It must be very comforting to live in a world filled with nothing but niggers and crackers. I often envy you. What's your favorite morning cartoon show anon? I mean the ones that are on now.
>>
>>64083058
but "muh spike lee"
>>
>>64082927
I dunno man, you just have to look at his historical films as anachronistic fantasies more than anything else.
>>
>>64082927
>- there was a huge amount that needed to be cut, a lot of the coach shots went on far too long, why were we shown the rope being set up to the outhouse

It's to show the power of 70mm Panavision. Which is lost to those who watched the screener.
>>
>>64083058
Maybe because blacks aren't inspired to become filmmakers. If it became the norm to only have black directors make black movies, I guarantee you'd see a lot more black youths get into film making.
>>
>>64083174
Access and opportunity friend. You can't name more than a few black filmmakers. Spike Lee sucks. So would any other white filmmaker with Lee's degree of talent.
>>
>>64083190

true but I feel he just cant get the feel right with historical time periods.

>>64083208

Yes but even so, he could have actually shot some plot relevant stuff outside rather than filler for his 70mm panavision™
>>
>>64083252
the nigger who just made creed
>>
>>64083058
>>64083231
American problem. There's tons of African filmmakers. Why not American blacks with large Hollywood budgets? Curious.
>>
>>64083231
Back in the day filmmaking was very difficult and blacks wouldn't have gotten access to equipment or the know how. Not to say that there wasn't any money in it. Things only changed a little with Shaft, but that's still exploitation. There still aren't really mainstream black movies besides Spike Lee maybe or Tyler Perry.
>>
>>64083170
Right now....Madea Goes To Jail. It's ok, as far as cartoons go. And you? MSNBC?
>>
>>64083252
inb4 Steve Mcqueen
>>
>>64083288
>Yes but even so, he could have actually shot some plot relevant stuff outside rather than filler for his 70mm panavision™

Not much he can work with with all that snow. Maybe some wildlife but even then, not much to work with
>>
>>64083325
This. Also only typically getting the chance to make 'black' movies. Knife cuts both ways.
>>
>>64083311
The problem with afro americans and film making is them not being able to shut the fuck up about being black. Whites do not talk about their skin color all the time, in terms of filmmaking there's a much broader spectrum of topics. Spike Lee did like two movies that weren't about color, but it's still all political.
>>
>>64083252
Nope. Blacks just aren't as good at filmmaking, writing, creating/ world building, special effects, cinematography, scoring, computer graphics, budgeting, promoting, etc etc.

Why is this so hard for people to deal with? There are no chinese running backs. We accept the reason why for this....but we can't seem to be honest with ourselves about skills in other fields.
>>
>>64082416
If you think movies "have to be" or "should be" anything then you are a pleb
>>
>>64083487
No the problem is a black filmmaker has never been handed the reins to an Apocalypse Now or a Chinatown to begin with. The problem is a world of niggers and crackers, niggers and crackers, nigger go make a nigger movie. If black people don't shut up about being black, maybe part of it is the world has to shut up about it too.
>>
>>64083295
And Straight outta Compton
And yeah Steve McQueen
>>
>>64083603
Your empircal evidence uses flawed data as a starting point.
>>
>>64083687
Sure, not denying it. But creatively speaking it seems to be a kiss of death to identify with being oppressed, making it part of your identity. Sometimes it seems there isn't much left if you get rid of the racial thing. I mean what would Spike Lee talk about without racial issues? He's only stands out because of racism. If he wasn't black he's just an more or less average director. There are literally dozens of equally skilled filmmakers.
>>
>>64083687
Handed the reigns????

This is how plebs think. White people WROTE Chinatown and Apocalypse Now. They looked at a blank page and BUILT those worlds. Nobody hands you anything. You take it. You build it. You are either a man or a pleb.

And no, even if a black filmmaker was handed Chinatown, he still would have done an inferior job.
>>
>>64083817
That's exactly my point. How about we get rid of Hack Lee and let all future 'black filmmakers' just be filmmakers? Let's give that a try. Thanks for saying that btw. I think we are agreeing on this.
>>
>>64083890
I agree somewhat with that. Only way blacks are going to be emancipated if they cut themselves lose from the racial stigma. Just make good movies. If it's obvious that the director is black after the first ten minutes you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>64083890
Okay. Guess we'll never know.
>>
>>64083957
Fair enough. I don't think black don't have a lower capacity to be great filmmakers, but they suffer from a culture that got comfortable with being victims. You need to create something on your own so your kids have something to be proud of. Rolemodels etc.
>>
>>64084035
Fuck my broken english. *I don't think blacks have a lower capacity
>>
>>64083769
First off, I didn't specifically cite any empirical data, so your post is literally meaningless.

Second off, I have a film degree..so I've literally seen thousands of films. I built a collection of blaxploitation films too, I was really into them for a while.

Can't we like black prople while admitting they are inferior filmmakers? Why is this so hard for people? Really, I'll never understand. Nobody thinks women can play in MLB, and yet we still like and value them.

I like black people, but the truth is obvious if you think about it.
>>
>>64080326

>isn't used without context

Just stop. There's literally only one context that word is used in and tarantini thinks it's acceptable when he uses it because he thinks he's an honorary black.

>>6408125

Projection the post
>>
>>64084126
How much did Abrams get for Star Wars? How much did Disney buy the rights for? Where did Tarantino get the money to make his film that we're all shitting on for lazily tackling his take on 'racial issues'? These are the questions that I'm asking you and the questions you should ask before you talk about historically inferior filmmaking. Do the math first.
>>
>>64078225
>I came to a white guy sucking BBC and ended up having to sit through a 3 hour slow burner and now I'm mad
>>
>>64084395
Where did they get it? Wha?

They invented the currency and backed it with real tangible assets, improved it over the years and then evolved it further with the federal reserve's fiat currency conception. "They" openly competed to create successful companies in a socially darwinistic paradigm which (despite being occasionally cruel) is the most efficient way for anyone to derive true intangible value.

Like the currency upon which it is based, Hollywood was built and sustained by people of real drive and genius and the medium evolves a bit every single day. "They" (meaning white people I presume) went out and BUILT it themselves.

There are 47 black countries in sub Saharran Africa with a total of 1 billion people. GO OUT AND BUILD IT YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!
>>
Just don't say black people can't make movies like that matters or is an intelligent point, maybe they just don't like telling stories, its not genetic. Lots of whites make shitty movies like there has never been an Oscar nominated movie from Slovakia.

I heard the Russian film industry was booming... no sorry.

Its ok to have racist opinions on 4chan but when you use it as a crutch and think its actual intellectual thought but you just go on through life never thinking just using racism as this magic wand that explains everything then you have fucked up.
>>
>>64077354
Why do you think Armond brought him up?
>>
>>64077354
There's no denying that Stagecoach is the iconic "closet set and few characters as metaphor for society" western, which even if Ford isn't his favorite filmmaker, he is as a cinephile very aware of and hopes of subverting, like Leone used to do. His point was also that less respected western filmmakers like Bill Whitney ended up doing blaxploitation flicks in their old age, which he enjoyed more than serious films.

>>64077639
>Armond was going to hate this movie because it wasn't directed by a black man
>Armond seems to think slavery stories matter more then anything else on Earth
He hated 12YaS and called McQueen a garbageman. Meanwhile he loves Spielberg, who has dealt with the subject a few times.
>>
>>64085241
Ok, look at my post and look at his.

It's clear who is more intelligent. He literally has no functioning grasp of basic sentence structure. If he can't organize his thoughts at (at least) a fourth grade standard, then why should we take anything he says seriously?

Again, you're doing my work for me.
>>
>>64077649
Nah, it was pure patriotism pouring like diarrhea from every Tom Hanks' hole.
>>
>>64085037
You're still missing my point. The wealth to which you refer to is built upon the backs of exploitation, not just of blacks but of others as well. But fine. We'll let that go. No one cares anymore and it's not helpful. This exploitation helped to build an industrial empire of which Hollywood is its artistic arm. Hollywood, like any other business, stays successful by bankrolling projects it knows will make or at least not lose money, whether it's domestic, international, or the cable/retail market. Fair enough. That's business too and it's good business. Where it gets interesting is where the industry will give someone like Chris Rock pocket change to go make some black sambo bullshit because the industry knows it will get that pocket change back. But when Rock wants to make something like Top Five, he has to bankroll a huge chunk of the upfront costs with the hope that if it has a successful festival run, he can make a studio distribution deal to recoup. But if that doesn't happen or if people don't go see his movie, it's Chris who is out his upfront costs, not Paramount, not Fox, not Disney, not the Weinsteins. Taking out the part where Lucas, Spielberg, Coppola etc didn't have to deal with that, because it's also not helpful, where it gets doubly interesting is when people use the argument you just did, which is to just go build it. I think people are trying to do just that. Rock can finance a small independent pic on his own. Singleton too probably. But those are exceptions not the rule. And they still want largely 'black' pictures out of them before the studio opens the change purse for any further investment. Where does that leave us as a country? Here I guess.
>>
>>64085981
I'm not trying to be edgy here, but I'm wondering if the amount of money that has been spend on welfare since the end of slavery is bigger than economic benefits America received from slavery. Especially if you consider the costs of the civil war and the souther depression following up on this.

There's a chance America would've been better of without slaves. Long term that is. See detroit for instance.
>>
>>64078954
>>64079226
>>64079496
>>64081420

>people are unironically taking Korinefag's buzzwords and form of writing thinking it's genuine criticism

Jesus this board keeps getting worse and worse
>>
>>64086303
Nah I actually sort of agree with that. It's getting close anyway, not to mention the hidden costs of less innovation all around because of money tied up in too many social programs. Slavery was an enormous economic engine though. Child labor too til we got it sorted.
>>
>>64078578
>and now it's slavery?

Yeah, basically. The republican party completely reversed its stance on blacks in the 60s when democrats passed civil rights. Now it's the party of racism, and 95% of blacks vote democrat.
>>
>>64077182
>The Hateful Eight doesn’t aim for historical realism

why should it? fuck realism.

>macro-aggressions

macro-aggression is a 'thing' now as well?

>vents the bottled-up venom that is the reality behind political correctness

could anyone clarify what is meant by this?

>Tarantino has no interest in American... psychological history

Is this really a criticism?
>>
>this movie doesn't do any of the things I specifically expected
>wtf is wrong with you, Tarantino?
>>
>>64086825
Political correctness is a way of pretending to be "correct" when you're actually promoting a sort of racism
>>
File: Tarantula.jpg (174 KB, 1023x537) Image search: [Google]
Tarantula.jpg
174 KB, 1023x537
>>64077893
>I can't imagine anyone with a brain watching Hateful Eight and thinking it's some pro-black propaganda.
>>
>>64087045
I'm not sure I'm getting this one either. Is it more that racial stuff is an issue in the film or that films shouldn't have issues or so naked an agenda and Tarantino needs to shut the fuck up? Genuinely curious, I'm trying to follow the argument about this.
>>
Tarantino explicitly made this trash to cuck people on Christmas morning
>>
>>64077182
>>64077207
>>64077217
>>64077248
>>64077284
>>64077298
Waaaah why wasn't this movie PC

;_;

plz censor
>>
>>64087195
It's Tarantino's argument, not mine. He says very clearly that the film is intended to be pro-black propaganda.
>>
>>64077182

I sparsely read some parts of his reviews, why is this guy connecting everything to racism? This must be the king of projecting.
>>
how in gods name did this movie cost 44 million, its one of the laziest movies ive ever seen shot, even for cuckentino
>>
>>64087380
>>64087380
>i don't know jack shit about moviemaking

LMAO
>>
>>64085981

Again, blacks have to insert themselves into everyone else's history.

See: Egypt.

Hollywood wasn't built on the "backs of black people". It just simply wasn't. You wishing it was so doesn't make it so.

Film isn't picking cotton or tilling fields. It doesn't require importing cheap or free labor from the third world to be accomplished.

There are now (and was then) very, very few black people in California. They werent a statistically significant population in Hollywood (and even if they were, they wouldn't have had much influence on the industry, given their limited skill-set and social standing).

And why, for the love of God, are "black backs" required for filmmaking as a medium to evolve and succeed?? It is a bizarre and baseless accusation.

Let's put it this way.....if there wasn't a single black person ever brought to America would Hollywood still exist? Yes, absolutely and it would be thriving just as it is today.
>>
>>64087422
literally 90% dialogue and faggots milling around in the snow
>>
>>64086303

Since the 1960s the number is something like $22 trillion spent on these programs.

Yes, long term slavery wasn't an economically viable system at all. It only really benefitted the 3% of people in the South who owned slaves. That's it. But the rest of the country has been paying for this catastrophe in blood and treasure ever since.

It was the biggest mistake this country ever made. And it costs us hundreds of billions every year.
>>
>>64087380
Finnish Highschool, kid.
>>
This movie only cost so much because uno farto had to pay his pet actors.
>>
>>64077582
but that's true, tarantino would gladly ok that statement
>>
>>64087462
>>64087462
Literally didn't say any of that. You're assigning a history that you're proposing to be the opposite side of the argument. An argument you're losing, btw, by willfully refusing to participate in by ignoring the original question.

Here I'll do it for you. JJ got 4.5 mil plus points on the backend. Disney paid 4 billion. Tarantino retains portion of the rights, gets points, a chunk of the 15.7 mil from the production budget and whatever the lawyers worked out between him and the Weinsteins.

That's a lot of money kid. Hurr durr blacks fix your own communities and raise the kind of capital to make the movies I want to see. Build it up! It's simple! It only took us two hundred years to run this place and no one handed it to us! You should have been in California when we started making movies!

Jesus kid. Life's a little more complicated than that. You see that, right?
>>
>>64086406
Oh come on. You and your korinefag boogeyman is starting to get old
>>
File: 1450354933121.jpg (38 KB, 473x357) Image search: [Google]
1450354933121.jpg
38 KB, 473x357
>>64082344
>Talking shit about The Oscarant
>>
>>64088464
the irony here is that it's actually a pretty fitting nickname for that piece of shit
>>
>>64088286
I'm not losing the argument. At all.

If the facts weren't on my side, I just simply write better than you do, so in either event I win.

Luckily, the facts are on my side...so it makes this contest a relatively easy one.

What JJ's salary has to do with persistent black underachievement I do not know. But if it helps you sleep at night, have at it.

There are 47 countries in Sub Saharran Africa, with populations totaling 1 billion people. India and East Asia seems to have figured out how to build and sustain film industries ...and yet Africans (with all those people, land, and resources) have not.

I'm sorry that blacks are lagging behind the rest of the world (and very, very far behind whites), ....I really am.

>it only took us 200 years to build it up.

Nah.

America was the most powerful nation on earth in the mid 1940s, and prior to that was one of the dominant nations on Earth from its inception. This clear false statement does however serve to illuminate your all too obvious subtext...which is one of perpetual jealousy. But again, that is the sad soundtrack to life, isn't it?
>>
File: 1447621585270.gif (3 MB, 267x212) Image search: [Google]
1447621585270.gif
3 MB, 267x212
>>64089049
>so it makes this contest a relatively easy one
>>
>>64082913
>only real criminals should be able to tell stories about crime
>only living medieval people should be able to tell stories about medieval life
>only real dinosaurs should make movies about dinos.
fucking idiot
>>
>>64089049
No, you're continuing to do it for me. I was the one that made the original assertion that there are plenty of good films being made by people of color in other countries, including Africa. The fact that you haven't seen them doesn't mean that they don't exist. The fact that they aren't being made in this country as frequently as one might expect under a system you are claiming as fair and accessible by all (which you are) or that they often are pigeonholed as 'black films', by the filmmakers themselves or by other parties, might have something more to do with structural inequality than with talent. This is a fact that's been pointed out by others in this thread, a fact that you seem unwilling to acknowledge. Films that are acceptable to the mindset you seem to be espousing cost money and a good amount of it at that. Who controls those purse strings? Who has access to the kind of capital it takes to make a blockbuster? Who gets to decide who will direct said project?

This isn't even hard math really.
>>
>>64090099

Number one, stop grouping Africans and other "people of color" together as if they are some type of collective contiguous ethnic grouping. They are not. East Asians (and Arabs) dislike black people much, much more than white people do.

Again, you are taking other race's achievements (East Asians, Indians, and others) and coupling them with black people's (modest/non-existent) "achievements" to craft your narrative. Again, proving my previous point that blacks are prone to exaggeration and borrowing other race's histories/achievements.

Listen, Tyrese, this isn't math, it's logic (though both are no doubt equally difficult for someone of your aptitude). Hollywood is a business. A global business. If blacks were capable of creating consistent quality products they'd get the capital unquestionably. Unfortunately, they are not. Hollywood is literally the most liberal place on planet Earth. They'd love to write black people checks.

Black people seem to be incapable of building and sustaing anything of lasting value. Everyone of those characters/ franchises were created by whites (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Game of Thrones, Sherlock Holmes, The Walking Dead, Harry Potter, James Bond, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings, Jurrasic Park, The Hunger Games, The Fast & The Furious, Back To The Future, Terminator, etc etc).

Please create just one epic narrative!!!! Just ONE!!! And then we'll talk.

Otherwise it's obvious what the truth is.
>>
>>64090809
Tyrese. There it is. You made me wait long enough. I'm actually German-Irish. And guess what? I don't spend any time thinking about any racial group's collective achievements over anyone else's. That's your job. I just like arguing on message boards with dumbfucks who don't know they're dumbfucks, particularly when they are in possession of extremely half baked opinions that conveniently ignore factual information. I don't need a narrative. I asked you a question about finances in regards to the entertainment industry that you didn't feel like answering. That's cool. We can leave it at that.

But don't pretend you're some expert on world history when you clearly don't even understand the nature of empire and more importantly, perhaps you shouldn't cite racist or self-created anecdotal evidence about blacks or even pretend to understand the desires, wishes and motivations of American black people when you're clearly not one yourself. Your name Quentin or what?

Also your lasting value checklist is a bit laughable, to say the least. Let's look at it again in seventy years. Also you should read or pay attention to something that's older than the second half of last century. It may help you going forward. It's not too late for you to become a person of substance. Really it's not. Godspeed.
>>
>>64088300
Calling everything you don't like "meme", "reddit", "video game" or saying shit like X sensibilities is getitng old too
>>
I liked it
>>
Notice how literally nobody defending this movie can give reasons why it's good.
>>
>>64092583
The performances are all uniformly good. There's some decent jokes. Not defending it, not sure it needs defending, but it's not a BAD movie. People are disagreeing over what its agenda or messaging is supposed to be, but the story isn't necessarily bad. Crash, for instance, was way worse than this. Crash is just a bad movie all the way around. This isn't like that.
>>
>>64092977

The performances were bad. Jackson is in full don't-care paycheck mode. Everyone else is playing a shitry caricature with a dumb accent. The jokes are shit. Basically nigger jokes.

This was a bad movie. A waste of time and money. This is the same shit as when Adam Sandler shits out Grown Ups 2 so his friends can be fucktarded on camera but at least he doesn't have cheerleaders claiming there is art in it.
>>
>>64092977
Whats the agenda there tho?

I thought the point of the movie is that all the "Hateful Eight" were all terrible people on their own.
Like, i've seen people say this is "heroic darkie" against "evil white" but i didn't get this from the movie at all.
One of the "heroes" of the movie nearly finishes the movie talking about how his racist father was a great man who earned the respect of everyone.
>>
>>64092977

Who the fuck cares about the agenda? It was just boring and bad.
>>
>>64082913
okay tumblr
>>
>>64093193

No I know, I'm just saying that's what people are arguing about. It's kind of dumb.

This is apparently a black people's revenge movie and Quentin shouldn't be making black people movies. Black people shouldn't be making black people movies. Everybody just stop making black people movies already. That's what I'm understanding so far.

>>64093174
Think Jackson only HAS paycheck mode tbqh fambly. He knows what his range is.
>>
>>64091720

Oh yeah? Cause Europeans just started coming on within the last half century. Before that it was all Black. Thanks for both taking the wrong side of the argument and personally insulting me.

Guess what, the jokes on you. I'm not white. I'm half Korean (my mother was born in Seoul). I'm just exhausted with the whole 'every single issue with black people is white peoples fault' pseudo-narrative. It clearly isn't, and I have a truly unique angle on it as I myself am part of neither tribe.

You keep failing to address my contention regarding Sub Saharran Africa and it's one billion people and it's complete lack of any real film industry. In East Asia we are very proud of our films. We don't blame any but ourselves if we come up short.
>>
>>64093432

But it isn't a black revenge movie. It is like three different things. And it sucks. And it sucks because of Tarantino.
>>
>>64093432

Sometimes he tries. Here it's like he just did not care.
>>
I wish blacks would do some original movies instead of some tired hood shit or trying to make Thor black.
>>
>>64079496
Perfect description, it's also his best plotted movie due to being based on a novel. It's Tarantino's best work.
>>
>>64078704
You make it sound like he puts out Marvel movies. His movies are better than the derivative summer garbage
>>
>>64094863

At this point they really are not.
>>
File: sm.jpg (24 KB, 361x205) Image search: [Google]
sm.jpg
24 KB, 361x205
Is this Armond's alt account?
>>
File: youtu.be-AvsiJppCdmk.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
youtu.be-AvsiJppCdmk.png
1 MB, 1280x720
Just got back from seeing it in Glorious 70mm Ultra Panavision™. I thought it was good. I thought the big black dingus scene was going to be worse than it actually was. Score was good but coulda used more of it. Only thing I didn't like was Goggins passing out at the end.
>>
If Tarrantino were going to use 70MM to best effect, he should have used it for a film that wasn't centered around a group of people sitting in a room talking....much like PT Anderson wasted the format on when he made the movie The Master (which was chock full of extended sequences of people sitting around talking endlessly about nothing.)
>>
>>64077689
was this left in the movie???
>>
File: yadingus.png (38 KB, 741x190) Image search: [Google]
yadingus.png
38 KB, 741x190
>>64096381
Yes.
>>
>>64093174
>Tarantino film
>bad acting

Choose one
>>
Anyone here love the film?I thought it was great. Loved the characters, the dialog, the violence, the vomit. Everything about it was entertaining. The highlight for me was Leigh's rendition of Jim Jones. I also loved the abrupt flashback, the 4th Chapter, if i recall correctly. Every criticism I've read calling the film a failure fails to convince me that's so.

Full disclosure: I thought Django and Basterds were just ok. Pulp and Dogs, Tarantino's best.
>>
>>64096853

So why did you think all that was good?
>>
>>64096889
He just told you. Stop baiting.
>>
>>64096975

He gave the equivalent of "fun things are fun."
>>
>>64096889
I was thoroughly entertained by the film similar to the way I am entertained by a violent Cormac McCarthy novel. the build-up in the early chapters was tense and masterful, the music enhanced the story, and the cinematography topnotch. i also liked the dialog. far more than i did in T's previous two films. therefore, imo: good.

ps. i'm also fond of unlikable characters and unrelatable, even unreliable protagonists.
>>
>>64096853
Every word you just spoke in its favor failed to convince me of its merit.
>>
File: MVG.png (185 KB, 658x768) Image search: [Google]
MVG.png
185 KB, 658x768
>tarantino
>>
>>64097089
cool. not here trying to convince anyone of its merit, mate. just saying my piece after reading a lot of why posters and critics disliked it. while i don't consider H8 a masterpiece, i enjoyed it. don't much care if you didn't.
>>
>>64077254
you don't get it at all, you can only speak in memes to sound relevant to yourself.
>>
>>64097051
That doesn't matter anon. You're not allowed to like this movie. Got it? It has no merit. It is morally hollow and offensive, whether you found it entertaining or not. That is immaterial to the issue at hand. Get out while you still can.
>>
>>64097051

The buildup was quite bad because it was overly long and the payoff was shitty. Tarantino failed to capture the buildup to violence in the spaghetti westerns he's trying to imitate. There was no tension. Shit was just long and any tension was undercut by him frequently taking asides to have dumb jokey monologuing or show characters making faces.

The music was nothing special and was not even used well except maybe in the last scene. In fact some of the music was pretty pointless. Like that song that played during the carriage ride.

>cinematography

Literally just dudes sitting in a cabin.

>"dialog"

OK what the fuck. That shit was fucking weak. It was basically that shitty hamfisted longwinded Django dialogue with everyone trying to put on a cute accent and failing to capture Chris Waltz's delivery which makes that kind of thing tolerable.

Tarantino's dialogue has gotten worse every movie. Compare this and Django to Reservoir Dogs or Jackie Brown. What acid did you take to think this was good?
>>
Can't believe I wasted 3 hours watching this shit.
>>
>>64097228
The so-called "buildup" would have been leagues better if the audience knew about the set-up (and Canning Taters under the floorboards) before SLJ & Co. got there. This way, they would forever anticipate something happening at any moment (especially during all the abuse Leigh endures during that time) and the suspense would be enormous.

Rather, it was done quite shoddily and diffused a really ripe situation. The anon you're responding to only very superficially talks about film "I was entertained! It was entertaining! I liked the guitar part! It was fun!" and ought to be ignored till he can use words that actually mean something else to someone else.
>>
>>64097666

Yeah, Satan. They literally could have started the movie with the flashback so we know all those guys are assholes and are tense the whole time about when/if the general will spill the beans and all that.

Instead we got "oh it was an unseen 4th guy in the basement and shit" and that crap flashback explanation which just takes you out of the movie because it's so shitty. He fucked up. Bad.
>>
>>64097666
>>64097725
but then it's not a whodoneit
>>
>>64097807

It shouldn't have been in the first place. And the mystery was really predictable and poorly resolved hurrr fourth guy lel.

It doesn't even become a whodunnit until the last third of the movie what the fuck.
>>
>>64097807
yeah this. that's a whole different kind of movie y'all are describing.
>>
File: brandon lee.jpg (75 KB, 563x800) Image search: [Google]
brandon lee.jpg
75 KB, 563x800
>>64078113
>It's good cause there's lots of dialogue
>>
What kind of poison makes you projectile vomit blood like that?
>>
>>64099119
None that I can think of. It'd have to be an industrial corrosive of some sort but you'd taste it and they wouldn't have it back then. Kind of lazy when you think about it. I could see pure ipecac root but that wouldn't make you vomit blood nor kill you in a twice diluted formula.
>>
>>64099119
ipecac
>>
File: our face when.jpg (69 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
our face when.jpg
69 KB, 600x800
>>64078113
>due to how dialogue-driven this film is
DUDE EAT A FUCKING DICK!

I just finished watching SHITFUL EIGHT and REVENANT this weekend and im telling you that revenat was 10 times more entertaining and had ten times more meaning than another one of tarintinos blood/gore/nigger fest movies.

Tarintino is and always will be a one trick pony.

Ill tell you what i told other fags in these threads:

Hateful eight is the inglorious bastard bar scene
/shootout turned into a 3 hour movie.

IT felt like a waste of time and money to even film.

And as a black anon who has seen all of tarintinos films, im sick of him throwing in racism just for the sake of being an edgy faggot while screaming how liberal he is.

This is coming from a guy who has a thing for good western movies which hateful eight was anything but.

I fucking hate tarintino just as much as i hate any southern redneck.

The reason fags like you like him so much is because hes a faggot ass nihilist who thinks he clever because he has a weird obsession with blacks and using the word "nigger" any chance he can get.

The only 2 movies i like from him that i actually acknowledge are good films are kill bill,inglorious bastards, and death prooff.

All his other shit can fuck off.
>>
>>64099119
tarantulos venom
>>
>>64099894

This. I don't care about the word nigger, but it's gotten to the point where I think Tarantino is only still making movies so he can make actors say nigger. And it's not edgy or funny. It's tiring. I'm tired of his shitty nigger jokes.
>>
Q is obsessed with black cock.
>>
>>64078471
No, it's the only one that comes off as being written and directed by a functioning adult. Granted, the reason it comes off that way is it's based on an Elmore Leonard novel, and, when it comes to writing, Leonard is superior to Tarantino in every single way.

The characters actually halfway feel like people, because a number of scenes have dialogue taken right out of the book. Generally any time a character feels more cartoony (the middle aged girlfriend of Samuel J Jacksons character who liked to sing to soul albums, Chris Trucker, the skinny girlfriend of Samuel L Jackson's at the mall with the comically stereotypical "southern accent"), it's Tarantino's doing.
>>
Cristoph Waltz acted well throughout and i thought he did a good impression of Tim Roth's stomach wound scene in Reservoir dogs.
>>
>>64097051
Don't compare Tarrantino to McCarthy. McCarthy is on a whole other level. Tarrantino is horseshit compared with McCarthy. Grow up or bum a lift to reddit.
Thread replies: 250
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.