[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How could the targeted Republic planets see the Starkiller energy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 10
How could the targeted Republic planets see the Starkiller energy beams coming directly at them if they were traveling at the speed of light?
>>
They were not. The weapon exits hyperspace when it enters the target solar system.
>>
>>64076368
because its a movie.
>>
Because it was so far away and such a huge beam
>>
>>64076382
The beams were obviously traveling through normal space since Finn was able to see the beam in the sky.
>>
>>64076485
>how to troll 101

The weapons obviously travels in normal space when it's launched and when it arrives, the travel time is in hyperspace.
>>
>>64076540
Why don't they make blasters that travel in hypserspace so force users can't detect them?
>>
>>64076592
Why didn't the Millennial Falcon fly the bombs to Starkiller and drop them INSIDE it while exiting hyperspace?

because the story would end in 3 minutes
>>
How do the beams curve and split out of a predefined bundle so close to target?
>>
>>64076686
snoke bent them with force powers
>>
>>64076686
>Starkiller Base is the culmination of the Galactic Empire's research into dark energy translations and hyperspace tunnelling.[6] Enormous arrays of specially designed collectors use the power of a sun to attract and send dark energy to a containment unit at the core of the planet, where it is held and built up inside that containment unit until the weapon is ready to fire. Its ability to concentrate dark energy in this manner gave Starkiller Base access to an almost literally infinite source of energy.[7]
>>
>>64076656
You can't pass through things in hyperspace you retarded tripfag.
>>
how do jedi block blaster bolts if they're coming at them at the speed of light?

obviously they're not and travel slower

as to how it gets to the other planets that fast presumably they enter hyperspace just after being fired and just before impact or something like that
>>
>>64077257
They would be able to block them even if they were instantaneous because of force precognition.
This shit is explained in ep IV.
>>
>>64076368
hey guess what's even more puzzling is how they could fuck up star wars
>>
shit movie. absolute shit movie
>>
>>64076656

>magically passing through solid objects in hyperspace

wut? that's the whole point of needing a clear trajectory. It is always at massive risk.
>>
>>64076368
Star Wars made space opera technology fun again after Battlestar Galactica went 'realistically downer ' on some themes.
>>
>>64076382
>the weapon exits hyperspace

ok we're done here
>>
>>64076540
>Beam is only visible when it launches, and when it arrives
>They see it
>This means they are either in the Republic's system (Let's not fucking forget that this weapon is claimed to wipe out entire solar systems, not just a couple planets selectively. Why wouldn't they explode all the planets?)
>Or, this means they are in the same system as the Star Killer base when it fires
Does this sound like it makes sense to you?

I mean maybe you're right. No really, maybe I'm just not seeing something here, but from my point of view, this looks like the same J.J. bullshit, where he put Spock on a different planet all together from Vulcan in Star Trek, and Spock could see easily as his planet got eaten by a black hole.
>>
Why is that blasting eletronic locks next to the doors open such doors?

Why didn't the First Order used a system of security cameras and sensors to find Rey on their ship?
>>
>>64077229
didnt they jump to hyperspace in the freighter bay?
>>
>>64077864
why didn't they do this on the Death Star?
>>
>>64077890
The bay door was open.
>>
>>64077890
there was nothing in front of them
>>
>>64076760
why didnt they just kill the galaxy and win?
>>
>>64077890
I think they opened the door first
>>
>>64077894
They did.
How do you think that Stormtroopers showed up within a minute or two of Han and Luke leaving the control room in the hangar?
Why do you think Han and Luke shot out cameras in the prison, right before someone started calling in, detecting the disturbance?
Why do you think they got found almost as soon as they got out of the trash compactor?
Because the first Death Star was competent, and they only let them go to find the base.
>>
>>64077908
>>64077910
>>64077919
werent they just running around the freighter bay?
>>
File: beam.jpg (36 KB, 819x460) Image search: [Google]
beam.jpg
36 KB, 819x460
The beam is at light speed, and the sight of it is also at light speed, the beam is actually far ahead from the point that you see it, but nothing stops you from seeing it cross the galaxy.
>>
>>64077718
>accepts the force
>can't accept weapon developed by paplatine 2.0 travelling in and out of hyperspace

ok we're done here
>>
>>64077944
TURN OFF YOUR BRAIN LMAO
>>
>>64076656
>Inb4 the Millenial Falco jumped out of hyperspace right inside the Starkiller's atmosphere without getting detected

Yeah well it's a children's sci-fi film. Don't think too hard about it.
>>
>>64076760
>almost infinite source of energy
>uses up the sun in two charges
>>
>>64077940
>a minute or two

bruh they were in the detention center by the time C3PO and R2D2 were discovered by the troopers
>>
>>64077944
Have you never seen any of the movies before?

All of them have an energy field that allows ships to pass through, but keep atmosphere in.

It's in literally every movie
>>
>>64077945
The fact that it would take a couple thousand years to see it from anywhere else than from right next to it on a galactic scale, kind of does stop people from seeing it.
Also it's called hyperspace, not light speed.
They literally shot across the galaxy. Would have taken some circa 50 000 years to destroy the republic system at just lightspeed.
>>
>>64077976
>there's only one star in the galaxy

confirmed retard
>>
>>64077945
but only from the side. you cant see it from the front if the light hasn't reached your eyes.
>>
>>64077973
they literally said in the movie that they wouldn't be detected if they jumped out of hyperspace right next to the surface, but that it was very dangerous to do so
>>
>>64077996
there was no energy field. it just gulped up the falcon 10 min earlier
>>
Why do they call it "Starkiller" if it blows up planets?
>>
>>64078011

Can they jump the planet in hyperspace?
>>
>>64078016
some particles probably travel in front of the damaging beam
>>
>>64077991
Well, to me it always seemed like it was a quick travel, what with the lifts and all that, but yeah.
Still, there was at least a directed response, unlike in TFA, where the constantly turned on shields get turned off, one of the highest ranking officers disappear, intruders are running around without disguises, even the sith on board confirms that theere are people there, and somehow they still don't get found (until Han gives them up), nor the shield turned back on.
>>
>>64077996
The doors were open but it didn't have a visible field.
It's funny because there were a bunch of guys shooting the Falcon while the bay door was open.
Makes no sense senpai.
>>
Relativity don't real in the SW universe, it's not hard sci-fi
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (49 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
49 KB, 1440x1080
>>64078051
>>
>>64078053
How do you think the Death Star got from Alderaan to Yavin IV?

>>64078053
they literally said in the movie that it sucks up the sun to power itself, pay attention anon

also Starkiller was supposed to be Luke's original last name, so it's a neat reference for the hardcore fans
>>
>>64078003
Didn't Poe use the term 'lightspeed' in the movie?

The makers of the movie probably didn't care about the technobabble or the science behind anything.
>>
>>64078064
remember Rei doesn't get found because she's an expert at moving around the station (because she's been scavenging a crashed Star Destroyer for most of her life), so it's not JUST incompetence that prevents them from finding the good guys
>>
>>64078123
they used the term "hyper lightspeed", which refers to the speed of hyperspace
>>
>>64078097

The death star was significantly smaller and less massive than a planet.
>>
>>64078123
Well then Poe fucked up, because in the movies, Obi-Wan (who is a jedi, not a pilot) refers to it as Light Speed, but Han then corrects him to hyperspace, which again makes more sense, since seriously, do you have any idea how freaking huge the galaxy is? https://youtu.be/nwevTdKL-tk?t=130

>>64078136
So not only do they not have cameras, they also don't have systems to detect when things are getting tampered with, unlike the Death Star, which instantly detected a shootout in the prison block.
You're not making the movie look better
>>
File: Unleash the Power of the Sun.png (1 MB, 1572x786) Image search: [Google]
Unleash the Power of the Sun.png
1 MB, 1572x786
anyone?
>>
>>64078097
>>64078051

second comment was meant for you
>>
>>64078158
So? Yoda moved a fucking X-wing with his mind.

You don't know how hyperspace works any more than anyone else. Stop intentionally trying to hate the movie because you want to fit in with the rest of the contrarian faggots
>>
Don't they refer to Starkiller Base as a 'hyper-lightspeed weapon' when they're briefing in the war room? Whatever the fuck that means. I took it to mean the laser travels faster than light.
>>
>>64078168
obi wan turned off the tractor beam without getting detected

you're not making yourself look any less retarded

>>64078211
yeah they did say that, but facts get in the way of circlejerking over how terrible they think the movie is so people ignore them
>>
>>64078003
100 human earth years is equivalent to one billion Star Wars human years. It actually did take 50 000 years to destroy those planets, it's just that this is very fast time to all the characters.

Remember that it happened a long time ago, so things were closer.
>>
>>64078228
We do see how that happens, and he even avoids stormtroopers running past him. It involves this thing called mastery of the force, and not fucking around with technology.
>But he does fuck around with the tractor beams!
Which again begs the question: You do realize they wanted them to leave, right? They wouldn't turn back on the one thing stopping the group from showing them the rebel base's location.

Anywhere else, if they messed around with something, there was an instant response. Obi-Wan was the only one, who as an experienced Jedi who fought in the Clone Wars and probably did this sort of thing for a long time, managed to avoid detection temporarily.

No one has any reason to let them run around on the Starkiller base however.
>>
>>64078037
>Hurr the resistance would never dare such a suicidal attempt to protect their planet and put an end to this terrifying superweapon.
>>
>>64078299
Is this an EU thing?
Please tell me this isn't a EU thing, because this sounds amazingly bad.
By that, it would mean that Alpha Centauri is actually part of our Solar System at this point in time.
>>
>>64078325
Snoke wants Rey alive, so there's a reason they're not instantly alerted. Also until Han shows up they're only aware of Rey.

>>64078356
but they did it? who are you quoting?
>>
>>64078299
>Remember that it happened a long time ago, so things were closer.

Best answer.
>>
because the speed of light =/= instantly

If our sun were to go out right now it would still be sunny for 8 minutes because the light it had been shining would still be traveling toward us
>>
>>64078374
>Snoke wants Rey alive, so there's a reason they're not instantly alerted. Also until Han shows up they're only aware of Rey.
Okay, quick question:
What part of wanting to capture Rey, stops the Stormtroopers from actually patrolling with some competence? They miss some intruders who are hiding in a corner. If they are actively looking for someone, wouldn't they check the corners?
I mean they have a stun setting on stormtrooper guns right? They don't have to avoid finding Rey, just avoid shooting her without the stun setting on.

This idea that they can't find Rey or anyone else, because they are trying to find Rey makes no sense to me.
>>
Beams are hyperlightspeeded so they're very fast and shit

My question is: can the fucking thing move? What does it do after it drains the original star?
>>
>>64078051
Because is drains an entire sun to power up
>>
Why is the republic only 5 planets inside the same solar system?

Why can finn see the plannets get destroyed from that green planet?

how can solo so casuel jumo out of lightspeed near the surface of a planet?

How can the resistance base get any kind of reading on the shield of the starkiller base. when they are in an entirely other solarsystem?

How can they tell the resistance fighters "the shield is down! now jump out of hyperspeed" Thats not how it works

Why does the resistance only have small spacefighters? Why dont they have any larger battleships?

Why didnt we see a CGI shot of the landing platform on that green planet?

if the first ordres objevtive is to get BB-8 in one piece then why the fuck are they bombing everything spot where it is?

How can that solar beam travel so fast? it takes light 7min to get out from the sun to our earth. even if its 3000x fast as light it would still take serveral years to it to reach the core planets.

The solarbeam is not light but pure fire. Even if we (because its the Sw univers) agree that fire can exsist in space. then it would take a million years for a fire beam to travel such a vast distance from starkiller base to corrusant.

Why is the entire repuplics army only at 5 planets?

How can the solarbeam suddenly divide itself to hit the 5 planets?

Why are they doing so desparate and pathetic attempts to mimic a new hope. not just story wise but aslo politic wise
Did they destory everything they fought for and achieved in ep 4-5-6?
>>
>>64078374
>but they did it? who are you quoting?

My attempt at overthinking this children't sci-fi film
>>
>>64078439
"hey so this little slut escaped from us like, 3 times and might destroy our planet, how about instead of putting my apprentice and my top general on it, we tell all of our troops that certainly wont make us look weak or anything"

You think Finn was bad for the First Order? Just wait until word spreads of Starkiller Base being blown up by scavenger scum who outsmarted Supreme Leader Snoke and his top-ranked men
>>
File: best character.jpg (29 KB, 680x431) Image search: [Google]
best character.jpg
29 KB, 680x431
You know if that laser was actually realistic and moved at the speed of light. All those 5 planets would have like 2 or 3 years to evacuate the planet.
>>
>>64078199

I don't hate the movie. Somebody said it has access to infinite energy. I said it doesn't because it used up a sun in two charges and doesn't seem like it can jump to hyperspace because its way too massive.
>>
>>64076368

The movie is set in a fictional universe governed by slightly different physics laws that made it possible. That's all there is to it, really.

Why would anyone even overthink this kinda things, are people actually convinced they know the made-up setting better than the authors who created it?

If it happens on screen it's possible for whatever reason, just deal with it.
>>
>>64078458
The Death Star could. In Solo's words "It's bigger, so what?"
>>
the same way they can fly at lightspeed without crashing.
>>
>>64078495
Okay. Anyone reading this, back me up.
Does this sound like the single most retarded defense for TFA ever, or what?
I don't even want to be mean but are you fucking serious?
"We will not tell the people whose job it is to ensure that this base is running at 100% that some of them fucked up and let a prisoner escape, because we don't want to make it look like the First Order is doing bad."
It's literally the Stormtroopers' fault that she escaped. The guy who was in there, and whoever else was supposed to stand guard.
It's not like the high command needs to tell the troopers that she beat Kylo Ren in a battle of wits.
My god this is just mindblowingly bad of an excuse.
>>
>>64078492
I think you shouldn't attempt overthinking anymore; it's evident you damaged too many brain cells doing so.
>>
What planets were destroyed?
>>
>>64076382
Wouldn't this be a shitty tactical decision? Committing five simultaneous 9/11's would cause the remaining alliance planets to go ape shit and send a massive retaliation against what I assume is scattered imperial remnants.

Even completely neutral systems would join as a rogue faction with planet destroying capabilities is a massive threat.

Imagine if north korea hit Wash. DC with a nuke, ain't nobody gonna back NK when a massive global counterstrike is imminent.

Also how was the empire able to construct and fire this weapon? I'm assuming the attack was launched from a vast distance away so wouldn't they have days of warning? Did they not notice there was suddenly an addtional planet in the system? I mean they had the plans for the thing so they could counterattack so they must have known it exsisted prior to being fired. Was starkiller an inside job?
>>
>>64078483
They specifically say it's a faster than light weapon. Maybe using something similar to warp effects. I can't defend the rest, it's retarded they included a super death star and then immediately destroyed it.
>>
>>64078598
New Alderaan.
>>
>>64078577
Actually it's Rey's "fault" she escaped, she mind-tricked the Stormtrooper, and outsmarted the stormtroopers patrolling.

Stop trying to hate the movie. It's okay to have a popular opinion. Really, it is.
>>
>>64078418
>>64078299
but they were farther away and coalesced in to galaxies due to gravity
>>
>>64078537
>it doesn't seem like it

Nice assumption faggot.

>it used up a sun in two charges

AND THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS OF STARS IN THE GALAXY YOU GIGANTIC RETARD
>>
>>64078624
No. Fuck this. You just fucking claimed that the First Order shouldn't tell their own fucking soldiers to capture an escaped prisoner.
What fucking world do you live in?
It's their fucking job. Who the fuck cares if she did it? It's still their goddamn job to make it right, that's why they're there.
>>
>>64078598
>>64078622
new alderan 1,3,4,5, and 6
>>
>>64078674
>completely ignores my argument to nitpick what I said in a previous comment

Yeah. There's no point with you. Continue with your two-minutes-hate, merry christmas faggot.
>>
>>64078582
That's why I'm on 4chan.

That scene with the failed mind crush reminded me of Haman Khan freaking out from Judau's new type powers in ZZ Gundam
>>
File: 1432631633458.png (558 KB, 502x674) Image search: [Google]
1432631633458.png
558 KB, 502x674
It just didn't...feel like a Star Wars movie

Say what you want about the prequels they still felt "Star Wars"

This just feels...off...somehow

But i can't quite explain why
>>
>>64078714
because /tv/ told you to and you're desperate to fit in with the other contrarian faggots so you join in the two-minutes-hate

I don't get how people can say "omg rehash rehash" and "wow it was nothing like the originals" in the same breath

oh wait, I can, because they're contrarian faggots
>>
You see stars in the sky, and their light is travelling towards you at the speed of light.
>>
>>64078669

Its reasonable to assume that a weapon with the mass of a planet cannot move faster than light. There has to be some limit to the technology.
>>
>>64078714
>It just didn't...feel like a Star Wars movie
Directed by JJ Abrams
>>
File: 1445091345103.jpg (130 KB, 419x429) Image search: [Google]
1445091345103.jpg
130 KB, 419x429
>>64078746
how about i suck your dick and you say that to my face
>>
>>64078548
goku wins once again
>>
>>64078701
You don't have a point.
Even if she's freaking Yoda and she's the greatest force user in the world, there is no reason not to tell the people whose job it is to capture people for you, to capture her.
You're shifting goalposts so hard right now, you've managed to move them from Brazil to the middle of the pacific.

What you're saying makes no sense.

This is not nitpicking either, it's being completely amazed at the fact that someone can even consider such an excuse.
>>
>>64078749

And their light takes years to reach your eye.

>>64078714

It feels more like star wars than the prequels.
>>
>>64078714
A lot of reasons.
The cinematographic style for example is extremely different.
Lucas directs in a style heavily influenced by theatre plays and older movies, with big sets, the characters pacing around dramatically in wide shots.
In TFA it's all about muh closeups and forced tridimensionality.
>>
>>64078617
why dont just destroy them all in the past then?
>>
>>64078807
Hmm, good point
>>
>>64078817
the Starkiller's cannon fire trail looked like a colony laser from Gundam
>>
>>64078760
So a weapon with the mass of a moon can move faster than light, but a weapon with the mass of a planet can't. Where do you draw the line? How do you know a line exists?

Stop trying to hate the movie. I'm leaving now, all these threads are the same shit. Fucking redditors trying to be popular by having an unpopular opinion.

/tv/ is shit

>>64078787
The movie literally shows that the First Order have a thing with making sure their stormtroopers conform. Now we have someone who overpowered Kylo Ren running around their base. That shit ain't good for morale.

I never shifted goalposts, maybe spend more than 5 minutes of reading about logical fallacies before you accuse someone of using them?
>>
>>64078714
>>64078746
>>64078771
>>64078801
>>64078807
JJ attempted BSG camera angle instead of SW camera angle. and failed spectacularly
>>
>>64078844

The death star is hollow.
>>
>>64078844
First you said it's emberassing that some random junkie outsmarted Snoke (which she didn't even do), and then now you're saying it's threatening that an incredibly powerful force user outperformed their boss. That's two different, opposing arguments.

Neither of which should be questionable.
I mean god damn it man. How do you propose the First Order conquers the galaxy if they are too afraid that their men might lose morale because there is a nasty lady around who can use the force and fight back?
The way you're describing the First Order, they would never even take on the Republic after the Starkiller base is destroyed, because it would be bad for morale, to attack an enemy you can't just wipe out from a safe distance.
It's nonsense.
>>
>>64078502
a lot longer than 2 or 3 years
>>
>>64078862
>JJ attempted BSG camera angle instead of SW camera angle.

So I wasn't the only one who thought the X-Wing formation attack scenes looked like typical Viper dogfights.
>>
You have idiots calling idiots idiots because they liked a movie that other people liked, and you have other idiots calling other idiots idiots because they are pretending to dislike a movie that other people liked. You also have more idiots calling more idiots idiots because they didn't like a movie that other people liked, and still more idiots calling still more idiots idiots because they are pretending to like a movie that other people liked.

Can't we all just get along? It's an anonymous board. There's no reason to lie about whether you liked a movie, and there is no reason to assume that a person is lying based on their posts on this board. If you think they're lying, ignore the damn post. Don't battle like infants.

Personally, I walked out of the movie calling it a solid 7/10 - not as good as the OT, but better than the prequels - which is what I would think any person should've expected. It was a love-letter to ANH done very well. Because of this, it was very fun while lacking any originality. It had some great moments like the TIE fighter escape, and some horrible moments like the Rathtar scene.

I'd rank the movies ANH (9/10) > TESB (9/10) > RotJ (8/10) > TFA (7/10) > RotS (6/10) > TPM (5/10) > AotC (4/10)

I think there's room for opinion in many circumstances, but I don't believe any of those 7 movies should shift more than one place in either direction on that particular order. That is to say, TFA is arguably better than RotJ, but certainly not better than ANH or TESB. It is arguably not as good as RotS, but certainly better than TPM or AotC.
>>
So I had to take a massive dump during this part, so I'm sure I missed something. But Starkiller seemed to have circular logic.

>Hey, Order, why are you blowing up planets?
>Because the Resistance is there!
>Oh, ok. Resistance, why are you fighting the order?
>Because they blow up our planets!
>Oh, ok. Order... Wait...

Seems like the sole purpose of their existence is to combat one another. Is there more to the Order then "muh conquest?"
>>
>>64079053
I think all we can expect out of it is:
>"ONCE MORE THE SITH SHALL RULE THE GALAXY!"
>>
>>64078975
SW angle was much more personal.
>>
>>64079053
Well, the title crawl says that the First Order rose from the ashes of the Empire.
So I would think their motivation would be to simply destroy those that they still regard as rebels to the true Empire.

Don't forget, while Palpatine commit horrendous crimes, that his rise to Emperor itself was entirely legal. It was simple politics. He manipulated a Queen into calling a vote of no-confidence in the current Chancellor, was elected the new Chancellor, was voted extra powers by the Senate, and then legally converted the Republic into an Empire, to thunderous applause.

A rebel alliance then formed, and usurped his throne. As far as the First Order is concerned, their rightful leader was murdered and their lands seized by rebels. Seems fair enough to me.
>>
>>64079027
this is actually a really intelligent post. I agree with it all but would swap a new hope and empire. probably swap phantom menace and revenge of the sith too actually.
>>
>>64079218
>I agree with it all but would swap a new hope and empire. probably swap phantom menace and revenge of the sith too actually.
Sure, and that's entirely fair. I just think there's a rough gradient of quality that should be respected. Nobody in their right minds could ever put AotC above ANH, and the closer you get to the middle the more leeway there is.
Like I said - one step in either direction is fine.
>>
>>64079147
Wow, this is a much better answer than what I expected. Thanks.
>>
>>64076382
Then how come anyone can see it when it's in hyperspace?

And how come the Rebe- I mean, Resistance could see it from Maz Kanata's planet instantly, when the light from the explosion isn't traveling through hyperspace and would take thousands if not millions of years to get there

>ib4 some faggot says hurr durr it's a sci fi movie

No, this universe still has laws in its own context, the light from a supernova or explosion isn't going to instantly get across the galaxy for the hero characters to see it unless the director is a hack
>>
>>64078614
They say very clearly in the movie that this is the significant portion of, if not all of the New Republic being destroyed

Which is fucking retarded, because why wouldn't the Alliance form the New Republic, gather as many systems, ships and resources as possible, and stay on a war footing?

Why would they just disarm like a bunch of pussy faggots and wait around for someone to fuck with them? Why is there a "Resistance" at all when the New Republic exists and that's where the heart of galactic power should be concentrated, spread across many systems as we see in the EU?

They literally made the NR a bunch of space progressives so they'd have an excuse to just destroy them right away in a two minute scene and make us hate the ebil space nazis more.

Not even the prequels are this retarded. What a shit movie
>>
>>64077257
Blaster bolts travel at the speed of light now? they are slower than arrows.
>>
Why is a beam that's made of sun energy red?
>>
>>64077890
>>64077908
>>64077910
>>64077919
Yes, and they also hyperspace through the Starkiller shield by "timing it right"

This movie is bullshit because it breaks long-established in-universe rules. If you can just hyperspace through a shield by timing it right, why did they spend half of Jedi blowing up a shield generator to attack the Death Star?

And furthermore, X-Wings and capital ships have perfectly good hyperdrives. There's no reason none of those ships couldn't hyperdrive through the Starkiller shield as well

JJ is a hack
>>
>>64077955
>accepts JJ's shit writing that has literally all the same problems as the prequels did, memespouting galore, in-universe contradictions and terrible dialogue
>can't accept the prequels

ok we're done here
>>
>>64077643
Didnt they go into hyperspace from inside Han's big ship?
>>
>>64078157
no, it refers to this movie being written by hack disney faggots who are just making an Avengers trilogy with a Star Wars paint job
>>
And how does Chewbacca's crossbow shoot beams that mysteriously explode when they hit the ground, but not when they hit stormtroopers at near point-blank?
>>
>>64078228
>obi wan turned off the tractor beam without getting detected

Except he did get detected by fucking Vader. Vader knowingly let the MF escape to track it to the Rebel base.

tl;dr you're retarded
>>
>>64079812
Yeah but that was Obi-Wan's plan to become more powerful than Vader could possibly imagine.
>>
>>64078373
No, that anon was just trolling, it's not an EU thing at all

>>64078548
Because it violates established rules of the series, faggot. The whole point of hyperspace travel is that you can't visibly see shit traveling from a subspace perspective

>le being contrarian and looking for reasons to hate the movie
No, YOU fags are looking for reasons to like the movie in spite of all the shit that doesn't make sense, even in an in-universe context
>>
>>64078746
>two-minutes-hate
>just read 1984 and didn't understand it
>spouts memes anyway

KYS
>>
>>64079027
>XDDD I'm the only intelligent one here
>u guys r just haters :^)
>better than the prequels

IT HAS LITERALLY EVERY PROBLEM THE PREQUELS HAD YOU STUPID FAGGOT

YOU'RE JUST IGNORING IT BECAUSE "XD CHEWIE WE R HOME :^)"
>>
>>64079986
Well, it didn't have overdrawn politics.
Or any exposition on the state of the galaxy for that matter.
Aside from that... Mostly, yeah.
>>
>>64079986
Prequels had ZERO characters you could find relatable, as well as having no humanistic communication between each other
>>
>>64078089

I always thought the fields were at the open doors, also in the empire in the old films. Everything actually inside is in the field, where ships can pass through.
>>
>>64080034
The originals had exposition on the state of the galaxy, however minor.

There's a right amount of space politics to include for the movie to make sense. George went overkill with the PT but the OT had just the right amount. We even see that not everyone necessarily likes the Rebellion, implying that the situation is more nuanced than just "space nazis vs space hippies"

The Alliance was literally called "The Alliance to Restore the Republic," flash forward 30 years to Disney Wars and all we get are a bunch of out of touch space liberals calling themselves a Republic, just waiting in one star system for the bad guys to come kill them all.

There shouldn't have been a "resistance" at all because the Alliance literally became the recognized galactic government. They're supposed to be in charge now, if anything the First Order are more of a "resistance" even if they're the bad guys.

But we're shown a Coruscant look alike with apparently no Republic Navy, just waiting to be blown up by a supposedly small fragment of the Empire. The Republic should have thousands of ships and hundreds of systems on their side, but they're just sitting there in the Hosnian system waiting to die so that "le resistance" can step up and be the underdog again.
>>
>>64079986
I'm not saying I'm the only intelligent one here.
I'm also not saying everyone in the thread is a hater. In fact, I clearly broke the posters down into at least four separate categories.
Yes, I think it is better than the prequels, but included an allowance for personal opinions to say that it's inferior to RotS. I think it's pushing it massively, though, to call it worse than TPM or AotC.
I don't think it does have "literally every problem the prequels had you stupid faggot". I believe the main issues of the prequels were George Lucas and the stale CGI environments, and this movie had much less of both.
>>
>>64078373

It's a fucking joke you oblivious Americlap
>>
File: star_wars_charred_remains.jpg (844 KB, 1824x1192) Image search: [Google]
star_wars_charred_remains.jpg
844 KB, 1824x1192
>>64080103
Right, Finn is so developed in the five minutes it takes him to break his programming and defect

Poe is so fleshed out by being in the movie for ten fucking minutes

Rey is so relatable what with being better than everyone at everything

such great character development, I totally buy this :^)

pic related, it's what Disney did to Star Wars
>>
>>64080118
Yeah, I know. What I meant to imply with the spoiler bit, was that even the OT had them, and that the bad part of the PT was just how overdrawn and dry it was.
Infact, I'd venture to say we learned just about as much in the way the Imperials and Rebels acted, about the world in the OT, than we did about the world in the PT, by listening to those senate hearings.

Good sum up though!
>>
>>64080137
Fair enough, but have you seen the kind of shit they have in the EU? The galaxy literally being that small wouldn't be a far shot from some of the most ridiculous things in there.
>>
The official answer according to Pablo Hidalgo is that it created a hyperspace tear so you could see it anywhere in the galaxy.
>>
>>64080162
>ages 4 and up
>>
>>64076368
How could a laser beam that was already fired split into 5 beams??
>>
>>64080400
>what is a shotgun
>what is an arrow missile
>>
>>64080122
>I believe the main issues of the prequels were George Lucas and the stale CGI environments, and this movie had much less of both.

Right, and replaced it with JJ's hack writing.

We still have:

>genuinely good actors being given shit cringey dialogue to read
>forced unnecessary references to the OT
>coincidences galore, most of which used to justify "remember this, remember that?"
>Rey not having any reason to care about BB-8 when she first encounters him
>that junker guy offering her money for BB-8 at all when two seconds later he's willing to use violence to get it
>Finn not having any real reason to defect after seeing the only people he's ever known, including his friend, killed by Resistance fighters
>Kylo not having any reason to keep Poe alive after getting the info about BB-8 out of him, even openly states that he knows Poe is the Rebel's best pilot, but lets him live for no reason
>Han and Chewie losing the Falcon EVER, for no reason other than so we can see Rey fly it better than they ever have
>flying it one time imparts knowledge of everything about it including how to fix it better than Han and Chewie can
>Han can't even remember how to start it so we have an excuse to have le stronk female tell him which button to press, but he can remember exactly what Luke's old saber from 40 fucking years ago looks like
>"Not a Death Star" XDDDD
>they literally fly down a fucking trench to destroy it
>CGI chases and battles, some of which don't even move the plot forward, like the Resistance suddenly showing up on Maz's planet when the few heroes who were there going it alone would be much more dramatic and tense
>Leia and Chewie totally ignore each other at the end despite their love and best friend (respectively) just dying a minute ago
>characters who didn't need to be CGI being CGI
>Lucas literally did battles better in the fucking 70s with no budget and no CGI
>>
>>64080460
>apples and oranges
Are you serious? Lasers do not work like that.
>>
>>64076368
>this many replies to b8
>>
>>64080162
It's not official merch though
>>
>>64080550
Sure, and neither does time dilation, the human body or amputation.
It's not science-fiction, it's just a fantasy series set in space. Who says their other-galaxy lasers work the same way? Stress less.
By the way, I believe in the Star Wars universe they actually aren't even technically lasers like the lightsabers, but bolts of plasma. I may be wrong, some EU-lover will be sure to correct me if I am.
>>
>>64080549
Sure, but those are different issues than the prequels, aren't they? So saying they had "literally every problem the prequels had you stupid faggot" was probably the wrong choice of words.
>>
>>64080708
lame
>>
>>64080731
Shit writing is shit writing, friendo

The prequels were only bad because of bad dialogue and some scenes went on too long. The general idea didn't violate any established rules and was actually pretty consistent with the OT

They gave way to a lot of cooler outer canon which was erased by Disney to make this shitty soft reboot
>>
i have no idea
>>
When Leia and Co watched the planets blow up tha was silly too. Assuming they're a lightyear away that should take a year for them to see. People seem to forget that light isn't instant.

But it doesn't matter because Star Wars is more fantasy than sci-fi.
>>
>>64078548
autism
>>
>>64083768
>People seem to forget that light isn't instant.
JJ does anyways. He's always had this dogshit sense of scale and time. And you can argue some of it is for story purposes, in a space opera you absolutely need the scale to feel huge as fuck.
>>
>>64083768
what the hell are you talkin' about?
>>
>>64076368
Same reason explosions in space
>>
>>64078548
>The movie is set in a fictional universe governed by slightly different physics laws
No, its set in our universe, which is why every single movie opens with the establishing line "A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away."
>>
>>64076760
>dark energy
LOL XD
10/10 DISNEY
>>
>>64078059
Impossible if the beam is moving at the speed of light. There's nothing faster than light
>>
>>64084252
>Impossible if the beam is moving at the speed of light. There's nothing faster than light
Relativity bruh. If you're in a space ship going the speed of light, and turn on the head lights, you don't catch up to the beam.

An outside observer would just detect it as x or gamma rays.
>>
>>64084093
They're all at the resistance base or wherever they are and they look up and see like five explosions far off.
>>
>>64084104
>our universe
>fucking space magic
>our universe
>basic laws such as conservation of mass are ignored
>star wars
>our universe

6/10
>>
>>64084600
I bet you think middle earth is supposed to be some far away planet too.
>>
>>64078051
because they wanted to use things from used concepts and had to put starkiller somewhere.
>>
>>64084600
>a long time ago in a galaxy far far away
>>
>>64084883
>>64084766
Are your fedoras on too tight? Because something is cutting off circulation to your brains.

>trying to apply common universal laws to a story in which there's space magic
>fucking SPACE MAGIC

So, if you're going to go the autistic route and claim that Star Wars and our universe are 100% the same, then you're either going to have concede everything we know about physics is bullshit, which means none of your points are even valid or Lucas was just trying to imply that the story isn't set in the future and is removed from this earth and our timeline.
>>
>>64085228
You're actually retarded. You're saying if a movie has an established setting of our physical universe, then everything that happens in that movie should be accurate down to the last detail?

You know Star Trek has space magic too, should we claim that happens in another universe too?
>>
>>64085455
No, that's what you were saying.

You can't argue...
>IT'S THE SAME UNIVERSE, SO IT SHOULD BE SUBJECT TO THE SAME SCRUTINY AS A DOCUMENTARY OR HARD SCI FI FILM

and then suddenly backtrack and claim ...

>BUT IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE 100% LIKE IT WOULD BE IN REAL LIFE
>You know Star Trek has space magic too, should we claim that happens in another universe too?

Yes, because it's a work of fucking fiction subject to moments of suspension of disbelief, you fucking imbecile. This is STAR WARS, not Interstellar or 2001. Check your autism.
>>
>>64085770
>because it's a work of fucking fiction subject to moments of suspension of disbelief
But star wars isn't?

Are you sure you should be calling people autistic?
>>
>>64076368
How do we see light if it moves at the speed of light?
>>
>>64079581
Abrams has no sense of scale.
>>
>>64085982
No, that's my entire point.

You're jumping around, trying to pick and choose what matters and what doesn't while at the same time applying a flat set of rules to everything at once.
>>
>>64086314
>>
>>64086314
It hits your eyes.
>>
>>64086314
we don't see it until it hits our eyes, which is what op is trying to say
>>
>>64076368
By way of Star Wars changing from a space fantasy to "just turn your brain off bro"
>>
>>64087738
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Midi-chlorian
>>
>>64088324
Why is this even that bad of a thing? All they did was name a type of biological organism that would allow them to talk about how they knew Anakin was a big deal. What does it change?

Is it that they pointed out a specific way that the force would act through people, thus ruining the mysticism? If that's the case, then it's just evidence of Star Wars becoming less "just turn your brain off" while still adding to the fiction and fantasy of their world.
>>
>>64088601
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqv4VwPNQr4
>>
>>64088601
>>64088601
Star Wars is and always has been the definition of "turn your brain off" filmaking. Why people try to elevate it to something more than what it is is beyond me.
Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.