[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw fags on /tv/ are butthurt over female Jedi main character
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8
File: image.png (153 KB, 248x306) Image search: [Google]
image.png
153 KB, 248x306
>tfw fags on /tv/ are butthurt over female Jedi main character in their boys only Star Wars club
>tfw they call her a Mary Sue to feel better about themselves

TOP KEK
>>
>>64074424
/pol/tards BTFO
>>
>>64074424
lmao
thats the only reason they even try to dislike the new star wars too.
>>
I didn't know anyone felt that way
>>
>>64074424
t. cuck
>>
explain how she isn't a mary sue
>>
>>64074459
>thats the only reason they even try to dislike the new star wars too.

Don't kid yourself. Thats not the main reason that people have been criticizing the movie. Its well known this movie is a glib facisimile of a new hope which doesn't even make an attempt at world building.

http://rogersmovienation.com/2015/12/16/movie-review-star-wars-redux-aka-the-force-awakens/
>>
>>64074494
They can't and even if they could they wouldn't. All they are doing is shitposting.
>>
It is entirely possible to criticize a fictional female character and be a male feminist
>>
>>64074459
Hardly. There's many other reasons why the movie sucks. Finn and Kylo are just as fucked up characters as she is. But yes as it stands now her character is garbage.
>>
>>64074424
I don't know what you're talking about my wife's boyfriend loved the film.
>>
File: 1275508203558.jpg (80 KB, 500x381) Image search: [Google]
1275508203558.jpg
80 KB, 500x381
>>64074424
>mfw I'd let her train with my lightsaber all day long
>>
>>64074636
Eat my ass, faggot
>>
>>64074597
>glib facisimile
is this the new eurphoric?
go tip your fedora elsewhere
>>
>>64074771

Its true. Read the review.
>>
File: the force awakens.png (140 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
the force awakens.png
140 KB, 250x250
>>64074597
its a fair review and i like the movie better than the prequels.now that JarJar left the ship the fun can begin.
>>
I've no problem with a girl Jedi lead, it only makes sense, really. It needs to stand apart from the previous films somehow. It needs to feel different. If she was a dude imagine how extra harsh everyone would be in comparing it to A New Hope.

But that doesn't excuse her being badly written.
>>
if you dont like rey it means you will find any excuse to take power from women, which fits the profile of a rapist, so you should be put on a watchlist if you are a rey hater
>>
Should have had a pink life saver.
>>
Good female characters /heroines:

>Ripley
>Sarah Connor
>Eden Sinclair

What do they have in common? All have a trained profession, meaning the viewer can already suspend their disbelief because they know what they are doing.

More importantly, though: they all retain a strong feminine aura, even vulnerability. They still remain feminine without being females written as men.
>>
>>64074958
Your point being?
>>
>>64074424
She's a mary sue but she barely does fucking anything in the movie anyway so who cares. It's Han's movie.
>>
>>64074971
Not her but that Rey is a poorly designed character. It's to the actor's credit that the film is not ruined.
>>
>>64074971
Ray basically has no flaw & doesn't get hurt. It drains all tension from her character.
>>
>>64074971
Meaning they're plausible while mary rey isn't you Fuckwad
>>
>>64074958
Rey seemed kinda vulnerable to me. She's only so headstrong because she's naive. Her longing for her family is her weakness
>>
>>64075001
>>64075021
>>64075038
lol ok
>>
>>64075088
Great argument there buddy.
>>
>>64074880
>jar jar is worse than hitler meme
We don't give out up votes here for used up memes
>>
>>64074424
She is a mary sue, that is undeniable, but I actually like her just because she's so cute. I'd rather have a qt female protagonist to look at for 2 hours than another emo jedi crybaby. It's also really cute when she gets tough and beats up the villains, just like in my Chinese cartoons.
>>
File: wtf michael kyle.png (143 KB, 275x243) Image search: [Google]
wtf michael kyle.png
143 KB, 275x243
>>64075185
>jar jar is worse than hitler
what
>>
>>64075211
How new are you friend?
>>
>>64075260
you tried
>>
>>64075088
you got destroyed like the cuck you are
>>
>>64075282
No but seriously hoe new are you

That's not an uncommon phrase
>>
>>64075316
the ''worst of hitler'' i know but are you really defending Jar Jar? really?
>>
>>64075088
At this point I'm not even sure whether these are people who dislike VII (or at the very least Rey's character) pretending to defend Rey in the most retarded way possible in order to make her fans look stupid, or actual fans who are just really really stupid.

The thing is, I have seen people seriously argue like this often enough to think it's actually plausible.
>>
>>64075370
Nobody is defending jar jar, but acting like he was so bad that the movies are unwatchable is something people do for inside joke up votes

If you really think he's *that* bad you're an autistic faggot
>>
>>64074880
finn is the new jar jar
>>
>>64075396
It's both

And that the character is a girl, so you get white knights, waifufags, and feminists too
>>
>>64075049
>Rey seemed kinda vulnerable to me
she just seemed naive and dont really gets hit,just knocked down.i like her enthusiasm but she feel way too gifted because shes a girl.
>>64075465
>acting like he was so bad that the movies are unwatchable
obi-wan vs darth maul is my favorite fight and i dont even like the prequels for anything else than that fight and the soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5ZY8Fz9GGU
>>
>>64074771

How fucking new

Kill yourself nigger faggot
>>
>>64074971

Tension because you believe they can fail

Rey cant though bedsides the falcon but that was because no copilot, so actually rey can be perfect
>>
File: 1451025657158.png (1021 KB, 1115x1380) Image search: [Google]
1451025657158.png
1021 KB, 1115x1380
>>
File: 1450801293620.jpg (131 KB, 545x560) Image search: [Google]
1450801293620.jpg
131 KB, 545x560
>>64075088
>but muh blog hugbox!!!!
>>
>>64075631
>caping your own posts
>edit your name out

Ebim
>>
File: 1430946327756.jpg (571 KB, 1512x1443) Image search: [Google]
1430946327756.jpg
571 KB, 1512x1443
>>64074424
>tfw they call her a Mary Sue to feel better about themselves

Please write a short list of reasons why she is NOT the Mary Sue.
>>
I'm not even going to defend it. /pol/ has changed so much in the past year. It was always blaming it on the jews but now apparently it's blaming it on tumblr.
>>
>>64075730
cuz the "Mary Sue" term belongs to fanfic fags community and should've stayed there. She's not a self-insert character or a wish-fulfilment fantasy. She's lazily written. She has to carry almost every plot point (droid, Finn, Kylo, Luke etc). You guys learned a new expression and are hammering it in ridiculous rates holy fuck.
>>
>>64074494
She's kinda annoying(talks over people, interrupts), socially stunted, bossy, over confident and immature.

She's been without much human-like company and had only herself to rely on so this is all to be expected, but still, she's not really that likable in a general friendship/co-worker/dating kind of way.
>>
I don't see why i should be butthurt over a female character that will forever pale in comparison to any male character of Star Wars that ever was.
This Star Wars movie is like watching a fun side-story, and that's about it.
>>
>>64075730
mary sue is literally a catch-all phrase, it's whatever you hate but is a girl
>>
>>64075780
Disney marketer.
>>
>>64074424
>skilled pilot
>skilled fighter
>unlocks jedi techniques without practice or know-how
>shipped as the awakening of the force without any sort of real character development
>defeats main villain like he was nothin
>no real character flaws
she.is.the.very.definition.of.mary.sue.

good characters have their advantages and disadvantages. it doesn't matter that she is female, she's just poorly written.
>>
>>64075796
Words change. Meme in the 1970s used to be any idea, that evolved and spread like genes. Today it's just related to Internet stuff.
>>
>>64074958
>More importantly, though: they all retain a strong feminine aura, even vulnerability

But lots of male characters have that too.
>>
>>64074880
You are the reason GL give up, enjoy your disney movies, kid.
>>
Just saw the movie.

She is a a hobo scavenger living in ATAT tent.

But
>perfect mechanic
>perfect pilot
>perfect fighter
>perfect jedi
>perfect acrobat

Like...she literally does not make a single mistake in this movie.
She does not fuck up even once.

She was flying Falcon better than fucking Han.
>>
>>64075483
I hated the way every time something happened there had to be some kind of couple second reaction from Finn to acknowledge it or convey the feeling of excitement of the moment. Using it on the same character trough out the movie got old very quickly. It made him seem like he was used as a quota 90¨s comic relief negro and actually took me out of the scene constantly. By simply cutting half of those off the movie would make it better.
>>
>>64076845
Why does she remind me of Kira Yamato from Gundam Seed?
>>
File: Kira_Yamato_003.jpg (18 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Kira_Yamato_003.jpg
18 KB, 400x300
>>64077478
SASUGA

REY SAMA
>>
agreed
>>
>>64076845
Anakin in his firsr movie was 1000x more over powered and unbelievable than Rey in her first movie. Where was Anakin's on-screen space pilot training and pod-racer trainibg montages? And jfc he built 3PO?

At least Rey is an adult so the stuff she does is believable. She was trained in the Force by Luke and experienced in melee combat for survival on Jakku. The Falcon, she worked on for Unlak. That's why she knew so much about it and thought it was "garbage"

Really this echo chamber dissing her is a circle jerk of guys who can't empathize with the feeling of your world changing when she catches that lightsaber and fights Han's murderer. That's the feeling many female viewers have at that moment. Do you know how many times we get to see a fellow gal be a hero (or even be interesting) instead of arm candy? Almost never, and definitely never in Star Wars. Just knowing Rey Skywalker is a real character is inspirational.

Now, I do hope she struggles in ep. 8, and her knowing Wookie was over the top. Otherwise, I loved it, and I love her as a character.
>>
>>64074436
No were not. We have been trying to convince aryan women of their power if they stopped coloring their hair and getting overweight for years now.
>>
>>64079801
Nice try, Mr. Cuck. Except that is literally one of the biggest complaints about Episode 1: that Anakin is completely unbelievable and ridiculous, and was waved away by making him Space Jesus.

That doesn't make it okay to do all over again.
>>
>>64079801
10/10 post
>>
>>64075396
Personally I liked Rey and most of the characters, I just thought the script, world-building, and overall creative vision were severely lacking. I wasn't inspired for one second throughout the movie. I wasn't drawn in. The only cool part was the very end
>>
>>64079801
But Anakin is supposedly one of the most powerful Jedi of all time so if course he will have some advantages, it makes sense
>>
>>64074424
what a cute girl. she's so cute when she's not smiling.
>>
>>64079801

and ep1 is a trash movie that is nearly universally hated

just what exactly are you trying to argue lmao

>its okay because one of the worst movies of all time did it too

bravo JJ you really did it!
>>
>>64074424
>>tfw they call her a Mary Sue to feel better about themselves
Well, they're not wrong.
>>
>>64079801
We already know who Anaking grows up to be. That somewhat excuses his preternatural abilities. We know nothing about Rey.
>>
>>64079801
>Anakin was a shit character
>So it's okay for Rey to be shit too

just kill yourself
>>
>>64080898
We better pay more money for the sequels to find out then!

Get lost schlomo
>>
Nah
>>
>>64079801
But people hated Anakin, you retard.
>>
>>64074926
And if you like her character in any way you are a Trans loving tumblrina that gets cucked on the regular. Face it anon, this us or them stuff on star wars is straight up bullshit.
>>
>>64075854
>I don't see why i should be butthurt over a female character that will forever pale in comparison to any male character of Star Wars that ever was.

thats your opinion but there's a whole generation of kids being raised who are going to know her as literally the greatest jedi ever born
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.