[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't they make simple, yet great action movies like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: Die_hard.jpg (78 KB, 350x547) Image search: [Google]
Die_hard.jpg
78 KB, 350x547
Why don't they make simple, yet great action movies like this anymore? Is it because the access to huge special effects causes directors and producers to disregard plot in favor for

>muh explosions
>muh massive gunfights

Yes, I'm aware that Die Hard and films like this have all of those, but at least they have likeable protagonists and logical action.
>>
My favorite Christmas film XD lol
>>
>>64054956
awesome response tbqh, really informative
>>
>he hasn't seen The Raid
>>
File: Q9l84Vz.jpg (9 KB, 640x272) Image search: [Google]
Q9l84Vz.jpg
9 KB, 640x272
>>64054918
Get with the times, man. Like no CGI? Like, what are kids supposed to connect with? A middle-aged man with a gun? Lulz
>>
>>64055020
>one movie

ok, still not disproving my point. there were more good action movies in the 80s then there have been in the last 15 years
>>
>>64054918
>likeable protagonists and logical action
These are the two things that have eluded a lot of directors for a while, for some reason. It's also why I liked Mad Max: Fury Road.
>>
>>64055427
loved the action in Fury Road but I felt like Hardy's rendition of Max was a lot inferior to Gibson's original (at least in Road Warrior). Sure, he's supposed to be a quiet drifter but I just didn't seem to care about him as much as I did in Road Warrior (imho)
>>
>>64055297
>>64054918
dredd
john wick
mad max
>>
I'd love to have either of these two things start popping up again:

>A simple, perfectly told story with likable characters and intense action (see: The Raid)

Or

>A completely balls-to-the-wall insane action movie that really has no basis in reality but you're still interested in everything that's happening anyway (see: Crank/Crank 2).

Quite frankly, I'd be extremely happy if more movies just straight up gave a fuck-you to the audience and sent them on a crazy fucking ride like that. Anything that isn't this fucking PG-13 safe OMG EXPLOSIONS AND WITTY BANTER YET NO ACTUAL DAMAGE TO THE HEROES bullfuckery.
>>
>>64054918
isn't it all safe plans and rehashes instead of taking risks now a days?
>>
>>64055805
Don't forget adaptations and soft reboots.
>>
>>64054918
ez money just to do prequels or later movies, or just remake an old one. Why risk creating something new? u stupid brah
>>
File: 71tlJ3xUOkL._SL1131_[1].jpg (160 KB, 800x1131) Image search: [Google]
71tlJ3xUOkL._SL1131_[1].jpg
160 KB, 800x1131
this movie was one of my favorite modern action movies family
>>
There are plenty of 'simple' action movies.

Action movies altogether improved after the Matrix raised some bars.

Just goes to show you really don't watch action movies if you think simple ones don't exist
>>
Because everything has to be about saving the world.

Every great action movie is about one dude having a really bad day. Trying to overexpand it to saving the world just doesn't work because the scope is wrong.
>>
>>64055951
This is why Ant-Man is one of the best Marvel movies: It's tiny in scale, literally and figuratively.
>>
>>64055922
First one was fun, second felt a little bogged down.
>>
>>64054918
Die Hard is deeper than most tryhard movies guys like Nolan do these days. It's not even about John Mcclane but rather about the black cop living through his PTSD via proxy. It's a beautiful example of the hero's journey as well. It has good villains, packs a punch when it needs to, and it's rewatchable. It's also a comment on the breaking up of the family in wake of captialism.
>>
>>64056077
>The comical crazed German lunatic that nearly twirls his mustaches
>good
The movie is great but damn if I don't fucking hate the villain in a negative way.
>>
>>64056127
With this said
I am deeply saddened about what happened to John's career.

I think the best action movie director, ever, hands down.
>>
>>64056127
It's one of the best villains of all time. He's fun, he's dangerous, has charisma, he's a little crazy. It's perfect. He's basically the archetype for most most modern villains.
>>
File: what cade.jpg (56 KB, 576x418) Image search: [Google]
what cade.jpg
56 KB, 576x418
>>64056127
>Hating Hans Gruber
Say whaaaaaaaaaaaa?
>>
>>64056219
Yeah but he is ,, close to twirling his fucking mustache in the movie and it really gets me in a negative mood
>>
Is Die Hard good?

I haven't seen many classic action films besides Star Wars, Terminator, and Alien.

I've seen a few recent superhero movies and I can't follow them because of information overload. PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH EXPLOSION FUCKING CARS BLOWING UP CHASE EXPLOSION CAR SWERVES HOLY SHIT CRASH!!

I have no idea who the people chasing Batman are or why I should care and I don't understand what's happening in the scene.

Does Die Hard have this? From what I've heard, it's the opposite of this, but I'm worried it's the one that started the trend.
>>
>>64056264
Go fucking watch it you retard instead of coming to a thread to metadiscuss it like a worthless fucking piece of fucking shit
>>
>>64056253
I don't have a problem with it. I guess it comes down to taste but I think it has it's purpose. He's a necessary opposite to John Mcclane. That's why Die Hard 4 didn't really work in my opinion. You need a colorful bad guy for Mcclane not some accountant.
>>
>>64056342
I loved 4 and I love the first one but he is so close to being 'twirling mustache evil' tier (Hans) that it always comes off more comical to me. Weakens him a bit as villain to me.
>>
>>64056291
I could do, but people say, "Go watch The Avengers it's GREAT!" and then I watch it and this is the problem.

This is a Die Hard thread so I might as well ask /tv/ for its opinions, friend.
>>
File: image.png (26 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.png
26 KB, 1000x1000
>>64056264
>>64056264
>>
>>64056418
Fucking this.

Goddamn I hate people who ask 'should I watch' or 'what to expect'
>>
>>64054918
CGI has made the audience numb to traditional aciton movies

And that's all it is.
>>
>>64056401
If you can watch it, do so.

Check out The Raid while you're at it.
>>
>>64056455
>people have a realm of choice
>"hey guys can I have some guida--"
>"FUCK YOU WATCH EVERYTHING"

Fuck off, it's nice having a general idea before you watch. Sometimes going into films blind is nice, other times it's worthless because it's something you'll obviously not enjoy.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.