[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>We want OT fanboys so practical effects >But we had to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
>We want OT fanboys so practical effects
>But we had to made two completely cgi characters

Why?
>>
File: 1426992387437.jpg (36 KB, 275x275) Image search: [Google]
1426992387437.jpg
36 KB, 275x275
>>64053170
>had to
People can also choose to use CGI, you know that right?
>>
>>64053170
I don't know but they both looked fake as fuck. Why did Snoke have to look like a realistic hologram? If they had added the weird blue flickery effect it wouldn't have been as noticeable.
>>
>>64053209
I think that there's some CGI lobby in Hollywood that you must hire cgi graphics or they will destroy you
>>
>>64053170
Practical effects to appeal to the nostalgic manchildren. CGI characters to appeal to the literal children.

It's pretty fucking simple. This is capeshit. They're produced to please everyone and therefore nobody with a brain.
>>
>>64053227
I really like blue linear holograms in Star Wars

Jar Jar Abrahms you fucker
>>
>>64053277
Yeah exactly. It's kinda part of the aesthetic. Making the holograms colorful was stupid.
>>
Lupita has a fairly non-repulsive face for a african 2bh
>>
>>64053277
>>64053363
the hologram in Jedi they use to plan the attack on the second death star is blue, green, red, and yellow

JJ was using the idea that technology had progressed unlike in the prequels. Ironic because it let him use old ships while the prequels had new designs. Still, there's nothing improved about specific technologies going from the PT to OT.
>>
>>64053800
>JJ was using the idea that technology had progressed
>Star Wars
>Progessed technology

The most idiotic EU shit ever
>>
>>64053800
Yeah true, but I still would have preferred he kept the communication holograms blue just because it feels more like Star Wars
>>
File: Dejarik.png (2 MB, 1934x813) Image search: [Google]
Dejarik.png
2 MB, 1934x813
>>64053906
The snoke hologram reveal was worth it
Doesn't TFA have enough poetry without adding that to the list?
>>
>>64053418
Doesn't she have some spic genes or some shit like that
>>
I was ready to hate on Snoke to the max but then he dissapeared because he is a hologram, not a giant

Felt like a pleb
>>
File: ep-vii-alien_inline.jpg (496 KB, 876x1138) Image search: [Google]
ep-vii-alien_inline.jpg
496 KB, 876x1138
>>64053170
>make elaborate puppet for this
>do mocap for a skinny Engineer and a deviantart tier alternate Minion design

JJ is a fucking genius
>>
>>64053887
The EU is what says it stagnates shit poster, from KOTOR to 130 years after the battle of Yavin in the Legacy comics all the shit is the same.
>>
The entire Maz Kanata section of the movie was really poor. The location didn't really make sense, it was on a secluded, quiet forest planet in what looked like a ruined chapel, far from civilisation, but then inside you've got this bustling, crowded bar & grill (??) full of every kind of alien (where did they park all their ships?)... The tatooine cantina was absolutely in keeping with Mos Eisley and felt really credible and lived-in, Maz's world/church/whatever was obviously the product of a number of not very successful brainstorming sessions.
>>
>>64053800
>>64053363
>>64053887

A theme that is never explicitly stated in star wars is that technology was at its peak in the prequels, and the Clone wars dragged thousands of planets down for the war effort on both sides.
So when the Empire came they were the most technologically advanced force in the galaxy and displayed a sense of gritty realism to it.
Cloud city looks the most like the prequels in therms of style and shine.

Before the EU was dictated non-canon, the earlier the technology the more powerful it was for some reason. So sith relics, star forges, star crusher etc etc are from or before the Clone wars.
The gravity of what the clone wars did to the galaxy has been kind of played off and focuses more on how the jedi were hunted and killed Vader.
>>
>>64053170
Snoke is a big guy so it's understandable.

Maz was inexcusable though. Should've just put some prosthetics on a midget
>>
>>64054645
That's a long way to say "this was never present in the OT but the EU did it so now I demand it"

You can say the rebels and shit were in disrepair after the empire took over, I'd be fine with that. Turning that into "the empire perfected all technologies, no wait I mean shit has been getting worse for 4000 years for no reason" is stupid.

It's all just shitty reasons to cover George's ass for making the prequel tech better than the OT.
>>
The funny thing is that all the practical stuff was really good and was 90% of the characters

so when it was CGI characters it was Special Edition feeling
>>
>>64055129
>"this was never present in the OT but the EU did it so now I demand it"

I didn't say that. It was an architectural and design theme from the OT and PT, so when people question why the PT looks more advanced than the OT the reason is because of the clone war.

>"the empire perfected all technologies, no wait I mean shit has been getting worse for 4000 years for no reason"
Literally did not say this, you are projecting or just have low int.

>It's all just shitty reasons to cover George's ass for making the prequel tech better than the OT.
This though is pretty much true. It's because of the works from countless authors and directors and writers from other works that this theme I stated kind shows up.
>>
Because it's a capeshit videogame movie.
>>
Maz Kanata looked better than portions guy.

Snoke looked like shit.
>>
>>64053227
Because when you first see him you're supposed to think he's a giant; it gives the impression that he's powerful, and when you figure out it's a hologram, that he's hiding something.
It was a choice which helped establish the character without using too much exposition. Are you guys so obsessed with having callbacks that you can't see that?
>>
>>64053209
BAKING
>>
>>64056680
What? You can do that just fine without CGI.
>>
>>64056343
I don't know what I thought you were saying, we basically agree on everything except how important the EU is to Star Wars. Sorry, I just thought you saying it was part of the EU was trying to make it a flaw in TFA. That'd mean you're putting more importance on the EU than the actual movies, but I don't think you're doing that now.
>>
>>64056859
not that anon but
>without CGI
What the fuck does a blue filter on holograms have to do with a character being entirely CGI?
>>
Star Wars (1977) had cutting-edge special effects.

I'm happy the new film has the same desu. I'm sure they used new models of camera and film stock. Why should they stick to ancient methods of filmmaking just to please people who think older things are better? Plenty of computer-generated effects look better than practical effects (Davy Jones looks way better than Harryhausen's skeletons, for example).
>>
File: jurassicpark-cgi-compare.jpg (21 KB, 580x354) Image search: [Google]
jurassicpark-cgi-compare.jpg
21 KB, 580x354
>>64053170
The best movie effects come out of mixing practical and special.
>>
>>64056485
It's weird, I kept hearing people saying they didn't like Maz. Someone said something about wasting the actress on her.

I liked her though.
>>
>>64053170
CGI isn't the problem when used in small doses, like TFA and PM. The rest of the prequel had so many cgi some scenes looked utterly plastic.
>>
The CG characters looked off. They overdid them and there's just too much going on with their faces. They looked a lot like CG Yoda, just weird.
>>
When Han said not to "stare", what did he mean by it? Stare at what?
>>
does anyone have a picture of snoke?
why is it so hard to find?
>>
Maz looked fine for a shitty character design but Snoke looked pretty bad (and I thought those pics of his face looked cool)

Blue filter hologram would have covered how "hobbit tier" he looked.
>>
>>64058098
and they even didn't need cgi for that shit, that was just some guy with deformed face
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.