[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Raeh Is Not JJ's fault. He's just an accomplice.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9
File: NeoetenousRidley.jpg (130 KB, 701x700) Image search: [Google]
NeoetenousRidley.jpg
130 KB, 701x700
"Kennedy approached him and was reluctant to work on another sequel. It was her pitch about a young female Jedi and the myth of Luke Skywalker that changed his mind. “I thought, Oh my God, it’s an incredible thing,”

And then [Kathleen Kennedy] called me up and the initial thing was she wanted me to write VII, VIII, and IX together, and I said, “There’s no way I can do that because it’s just too crazy and daunting.” And then the story that she pitched me was she just said it’s an origin story of a female Jedi. And I was like, “I’m in. I can’t say no to that. I have to do it.”

http://www.wga.org/content/default.aspx?id=6130
>>
File: saoirse_ronan.jpg (174 KB, 670x377) Image search: [Google]
saoirse_ronan.jpg
174 KB, 670x377
>>64052041
If they wanted a character study of an emerging young female Jedi then they ought to have cast Saoirse.

Now they're stuck with Miss Foetal Alcohol Syndrome
>>
>>64052113
She literally lost herself the role because she couldn't keep her mouth shut.
>>
>>64052041
>"Oh my god, a female Jedi? What a novel idea! That's never been done before!"

I really wish these faggots would stop patting themselves on the back.
>>
>>64052041
>And then the story that she pitched me was she just said it’s an origin story of a female Jedi. And I was like, “I’m in. I can’t say no to that. I have to do it.”

Hollywood liberals everyone.
>>
WOAH A FEMALE JEDI

SO FUCKING CRAZY

IT'S LIKE

A JEDI BUT

BUT INSTEAD OF HAVING A PENIS

THERE'S A VAGINA

What the fuck is this, 1980s?
>>
File: bustin.jpg (46 KB, 400x340) Image search: [Google]
bustin.jpg
46 KB, 400x340
>>64052234
Welcome to the new media.
Everything is automatically a 10/10 if you just change all the actors to be female or a minority.
>>
>>64052041
I'm sure this is sounds sexist or is just blatantly sexist but women just shouldn't be allowed to write female leads in action movies.
>>
File: I'm in.jpg (55 KB, 928x481) Image search: [Google]
I'm in.jpg
55 KB, 928x481
>>64052041
>>
>>64052343

It's not. The saddening truth is that a lot of male writers know how to write a female lead better than a lot of females do. On top of the fact men are just better writers.
>>
>>64052041
>JJ, wanna write Episode VII?
>Nah, cheers, thouhg
>But, JJ! It will feature a run of the mill strunk wimming lead!
>Say whhhha!?? I'm IN!
Liberals everyone
>>
>>64052343
>Kennedy: "Ok, get this: We copy/paste the plot of the original trilogy, because coming up with original stories is hard, but this time, Luke has a vagina."

>JJ: "BRILLIANT, I HAVE TO DO THIS!"
>>
File: Princess.jpg (213 KB, 1600x528) Image search: [Google]
Princess.jpg
213 KB, 1600x528
What made Leia so hot was not the bikini - it was the attitude. She was a snob. She was above everyone. She talked down to Tarkin, insulted Luke as her first sight of him, hated Han with the haughty disdain of a New England prom queen, I mean, what was not to like? Part of every rape fantasy about Leia was just shutting her up.

Rey is boring. Seriously, I have no interest in her at all. Like imagining fucking a cheerleader. You get through it, and she's like, "that was sooo supppperrr! Let's get dippin dots and watch Gilmore Girls."

Ugh.
>>
>>64052041
>rey has no flaws
>no failures
>no hardship
>best at everything

Kinda makes sense it was written by a woman desu, only a first world woman would think such a boring character was "empowering"
>>
>>64052646
Rey is kind of a bitch until they meet Han 2bh
>>
>>64052719
Not really,the most "bitchy" thing she did was telling Finn "dude just stop holding my hand,that's gay"
>>
File: hidden12.jpg (11 KB, 400x240) Image search: [Google]
hidden12.jpg
11 KB, 400x240
>>64052646
Leia is based on this princess .
>>
She's also the reason Felicity Jones is the lead in Rogue One I guess. Kinda fucked up that what is esentially the custodian of someone else's creation feels she can dictate the its future according to her personal taste and interest.
>>
>>64052041
I'm fine with a female jedi.

I'm not fine with a poorly written and acted Mary Sue.
>>
>>64052770
She was a bitch to bb8 when they met, and she beat up Finn just because that Droid told her to
>>
>>64052646
she acts like a man.
youre so blinded with
>tfw no gf
you cant see it.
>>
>>64052836
>She was a bitch to bb8 when they met
What
She rescued him from another scavenger
>>
>>64052786

I feel like this we can blame Hunger Games, and by a minor extent Jennifer Laurence, for this shit. They're just following the most marketable trends. They saw the cash Katpiss Everclean drew and started salivating.
>>
>>64052646
Virgin
>>
File: 1436115885552.jpg (37 KB, 388x508) Image search: [Google]
1436115885552.jpg
37 KB, 388x508
4chan
/tv/ - Television & Film

[Advertise on 4chan]
[Post a Reply]
12/20/15 New trial board added: /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests
11/28/15 New trial text board added: /news/ - Current News
11/12/15 Name changed. WWE topics on /asp/ - Alternative Sports & Wrestling
[Hide] [Show All]

Toggle
It's getting cold, isn't it?
[Return] [Catalog] [Bottom]22 / 5 / 17 / 2 [Update] [Auto]
File: NeoetenousRidley.jpg (130 KB, 701x700)
130 KB
Raeh Is Not JJ's fault. He's just an accomplice. Anonymous 12/24/15(Thu)14:53:58 No.64052041▶>>64052113 >>64052163 >>64052198 >>64052343 >>64052408 >>64052516 >>64052682 >>64052798
"Kennedy approached him and was reluctant to work on another sequel. It was her pitch about a young female Jedi and the myth of Luke Skywalker that changed his mind. “I thought, Oh my God, it’s an incredible thing,”

And then [Kathleen Kennedy] called me up and the initial thing was she wanted me to write VII, VIII, and IX together, and I said, “There’s no way I can do that because it’s just too crazy and daunting.” And then the story that she pitched me was she just said it’s an origin story of a female Jedi. And I was like, “I’m in. I can’t say no to that. I have to do it.”

http://www.wga.org/content/default.aspx?id=6130
>>
Anonymous 12/24/15(Thu)14:56:16 No.64052113▶>>64052135
File: saoirse_ronan.jpg (174 KB, 670x377)
174 KB
>>64052041 (OP)
If they wanted a character study of an emerging young female Jedi then they ought to have cast Saoirse.

Now they're stuck with Miss Foetal Alcohol Syndrome
>>
Anonymous 12/24/15(Thu)14:57:13 No.64052135▶
>>64052113
She literally lost herself the role because she couldn't keep her mouth shut.
>>
Anonymous 12/24/15(Thu)14:58:18 No.64052163▶
>>64052041 (OP)
>"Oh my god, a female Jedi? What a novel idea! That's never been done before!"

I really wish these faggots would stop patting themselves on the back.
>>
Anonymous 12/24/15(Thu)14:59:22 No.64052198▶
>>64052041 (OP)
>>
>>64052682
>only sexually available female is an empowered white womyn, also main character
>supporting cast of hot ethnic guys, Harrison Ford and beta orbiter cuck ball
>written by old white woman in los angeles
checks out
>>
>>64052879
And promptly told him to fuck off. She only reluctantly let him stay for one day
>>
>>64052781
She was the worst part of the movie. Thank god she had to pretend to be mute for 80% of the film otherwise it would be unwatchable. The actress nearly ruined the movie.
>>
>>64052966
did anyone read this mess?
>>
>>64053632
It's just paste of the first several posts.
>>
>>64052781
Excitable Princess was best Princess
>>
so this is /pol/'s new witchhunt?
>>
>>64052966
wut
>>
File: AhsokaHS-AFiN.png (554 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
AhsokaHS-AFiN.png
554 KB, 540x720
>And then the story that she pitched me was she just said it’s an origin story of a female Jedi. And I was like, “I’m in. I can’t say no to that. I have to do it.”

Hey JJ, maybe if you actually knew anything about Star Wars outside the movies, you'd have been able to steal better ideas.
>>
so he's what

a feminist-cuck?
>>
>>64056876
She even got a theatrical release. I haven't seen that movie or an episode of her show, but I know she exists. There's really no excuse.
>>
>I didn't want to do it until I learned I could be an uber jew and shit up star wars with a political agenda

Why is he so awful? Like, it turned out fine but everything that comes out of Abrams' mouth makes him more and more of a piece of shit.
>>
And why did this new Jedi have to be human anyway? Let's see an Ewok with a lightsaber. Damn.
>>
>>64057030

She's awful in the movie and the first two seasons because she's a bratty punk kid. Almost the entire fanbase hated her and wanted her to die as soon as possible, taking it as a foregone conclusion that she would eventually have to die before Revenge of the Sith came around.

Season three accomplishes an amazing transformation and she really grows as a character.

By season five the entire fanbase was absolutely dreading the day they'd have to say goodbye to her. She's become my absolute favorite canon character.

The show also makes Anakin likeable and even, in the later seasons, occasionally makes Jar Jar Binks actually funny in the tiny handful of episodes he appears in. It's really a pretty great show that just had a rocky start.
>>
>>64052893
Kathleen literally said they wanted to appeal to the hunger games audience. Thats who they are gearing all the new movies for. I would find the exact quote but I don't care enough to
>>
>>64052041
>implying a female Jedi itself is a bad thing
>implying it's not a matter of how you tell the story
Not that I have complaints though.
>>
>>64057302
Having a female Jedi isn't a problem, the problem is making a huge deal out of the fact that she's female.
>>
>>64057228
because the neck beard toy collectors are a much better demographic amirite.
>>
>>64052966
You new here friend? Welcome!
>>
>>64052198
Yes, because JJ Abrams did "Alias," so it would easier for him to write and direct a female Jedi.
>>
This is why Kylo was 10x better than Rey as a character
>had struggles and doubts
>room to meaningfully grow
>was injured and yet still managed to endure and fight

Rey was too fucking perfect and powerful out of nowhere. Maybe the supernatural force attenuation I understand, she is probably a Skywalker. But at least have her go untrained but powerful force mage on Kylo, rather than pulling a fucking matrix and learning lightsaber fu instantly
>>
>>64057632
That's why it's great, because there's going to be a role reversal, she's going to fall to the dark side way too easily, the way Kylo can't help but be called back to the 'light'
>>
>>64057782

this would be a really refreshing story
>>
>>64057632
>rather than pulling a fucking matrix and learning lightsaber fu instantly
This is where we differ, because I really enjoyed how it went back to the roots of lightsaber battles being metaphors for will and convictions, and not "who knows the most fighting moves". Kylo Ren was filled with doubts and pain and confusion, and trying to hide it all behind a literal Vader fanboy mask and twirly, flashy moves (which he probably came up with on his own; who was there to teach him the lightsaber? Snoke? The guy can't even stand being in the same room with him).

He attacked Finn and Rey only for Luke/Anakin's saber, because he desperately wanted another juju for his collection he clings to to reaffirm himself. For all his use of fear and intimidation, Kylo Ren is just a lost child. Rey meanwhile was fueled with rage and hatred for this man who had just murdered Solo and possibly her only friend ever, and that desire to cut him down is what let her wreck him so thoroughly. If anything, Rey was channeling the dark side more than Kylo here.
>>
>>64057632

The problem there is that Kylo Ren has been set up as an antagonist. As the protagonist of the story, he could have been great, but as an antagonist he's trash, unable to kill anything that isn't unarmed and/or furniture, which really undercuts his superficial menace.

The Force Awakens just generally has fucking terrible villains. Vader exuded power and menace, but Kylo Ren comes off as helpless and scared. Tarkin had a smooth confidence and a commanding presence, but Hux looks and sounds like he's desperately trying not to shit himself after a bad burrito. The Emperor in the OT revels in his evil and it's always clear what evil thing he's trying to accomplish, but Snoke just seems bored by everything and has no apparent goals other than doing his best impression of the Lincoln Memorial.
>>
>>64058263
>The Force Awakens just generally has fucking terrible villains. Vader exuded power and menace, but Kylo Ren comes off as helpless and scared.
That is LITERALLY the point though. He's a frightened weak child desperately trying to be something he's not, he 100% actually literally wears the mask because he WANTS to be strong like Vader even though he knows deep down he isn't. He isn't meant to be a complete total villain in the "grr I'm gonna get you rebels" sense, and though he murders his dad, this first movie is clearly setting up a character arc for him.

I agree Snoke was pretty shit though. I don't know what they plan on doing with him. A guy living in Vader's shadow is interesting, Sheev2.0 is not.
>>
Oh who gives a fuck, we get it, you don't like girls. Go suck a dick, you seem to prefer them anyway
>>
File: ahsoka_tano-2blade-reverse.png (66 KB, 250x265) Image search: [Google]
ahsoka_tano-2blade-reverse.png
66 KB, 250x265
>>64058539

The problem isn't that Rey's a girl, it's that she's a shitty, badly-written attempt at a female protagonist in a franchise that has already demonstrated it CAN, in fact, create great female protagonists.

Considering that TFA drew all of its ideas exclusively from other existing Star Wars material, both films and EU, it's absolutely mind-boggling that they somehow ignored all the great characters like Ahsoka, Ventress, and Jaina when they were looking for ideas on how to write a female protagonist effectively. It's almost like they WANTED her to seem like a shitty fanfiction author's self-insert character.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.