[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Disney hiring these nobodies to direct the Star Wars movies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: Jar-jar-abrams.jpg (9 KB, 185x177) Image search: [Google]
Jar-jar-abrams.jpg
9 KB, 185x177
Why is Disney hiring these nobodies to direct the Star Wars movies instead of actually experienced, renowed directors?
>>
>>64050583

because these Directors do as they are told.
big shot Directors get their own way and Disney want total control over the product.
>>
>>64050583
Name three movies besides Star Wars that Irvin Kershner and Richard Marquand has done without looking it up.
>>
>>64050728
This. That is not a meme answer, that's precisely what it is, anon and everyone knows this.
>>
JJ isn't even a real person he's an actor hired to play the part of a director. His films are made by committee and focus groups, he actually doesn't direct anything

source: I worked on super8
>>
>>64050583
They asked every major director. Christopher Nolan, Stephen Spielberg, Guillermo Del Toro, Quentin Tarantino. They had to practically beg JJ to do it
>>
Rian Johnson directed the single best episodes of one of the best TV series ever
I'm glad that Disney acnowledges his talent

Not so excited about Trevorrow but at least he knows how to make a box office hit
>>
>>64050762
Best point. Kershner was Lucas' teacher. NYC art film guy. Marquand was sought out by Lucas too.

I don't even need Looper. If I had heard, "they are giving SW to the Brick guy," I would be totally on board.
>>
>>64050583

Because "renowned" directors don't take tentpole projects for Disney. JJ Abrams is about as big and well regarded director as you get for that kind of work.
>>
>>64052386
This. They're never going to get an auteur. JJ is basically a competent, high class Michel Bay.
>>
The movie was actually well directed
>>
>>64052508

Oh god, it's true. I've never thought of that. JJ is basically just Michael Bay if Michael Bay was capable of making decent movies.
>>
The entire sequel Trilogy hinges on the success of the middle film, and Rian is a more interesting director with a good visual eye. JJ is good at setting up plots and stories but Rian will expand it greatly, Trevvow just needs to put the pieces together for the final movie
>>
>>64052678
If VIII and IX are good, everyone will remember Rian as the director of VIII. If they suck, they will remember him as the writer of both.

He is in the unique position of carrying both pictures on his back - if VIII tanks it, IX will be saddled with the dreaded ire of the fanboys.

Worst job in the world to screw up.
>>
>>64052678
>jj is good ast setting up plots
>all his plots are either rehashes or totally random as fuck
>>
Next movie is going to be a prequels tier disaster and you all know it.
>>
>>64050762
Robocop 2 was directed by Irvin Kershner, that's the only movie besides Empire i know he directed without looking at his filmography.
>>
>>64052757
Agreed, I think it will be interesting how it plays out.

The prequels are for the most part BUT the overall failure of Attack of the Clones is probably one if the bigger factors as to why they looked so down on.

>>64052805
He played it super safe, to a fault, but he set up the characters and the plot well enough, and really its the characters people care about
>>
>>64053109
>and really its the characters people care about
High brow writers scoff at plot. It's always about characters
>>
>>64053109
Too bad it has no interesting characters other than Kylo.
>>
File: 1310497836236[1].png (386 KB, 667x670) Image search: [Google]
1310497836236[1].png
386 KB, 667x670
>episode VIII will be 2 hours of Luke chasing down a fly in his island cabin
>>
>>64053218
Eh its a space adventure movie. I think though Rian will do things differently since they treaded all they could of the OT in the first movie.

>>64053241

Thr first movie has more set up than complex characters, much lile the OT. Ot will be the next one that expands and grows the characters into specific things
>>
>>64053299
It'll be Rocky 2, with both Kylo Ren and Rey training while a buddy cop movie with Poe and Finn happens in the background.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.