[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It was just kinda Okay... Bit disappointing when you think about it.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20
File: 13968.jpg (32 KB, 425x280) Image search: [Google]
13968.jpg
32 KB, 425x280
It was just kinda Okay...

Bit disappointing when you think about it.
>>
>>64048705
Worse than the prequels

Wake up sheeple
>>
>>64048705
naw it was great

superior to ROTJ imo, as a whole
>>
>>64048791

>people like this exist
>>
>>64048791
Why exactly?
>>
>>64048705
>best instalment in last 34 years
>disappointing
>>
Michael Bay would have at least made a fun movie.
>>
>>64048791
I will never ever get this meme. RotJ had a shitton of really good emotional scenes with Luke, really good space battles, and the jabba part is solid. The only weak part is Han/Leia on the ground with the ewoks.

TFA is just bland all the way through, not even Hans death is really that memorable. Why the fuck would you even pretend that it's better than return? Because it's somehow hip to dislike one of the OT? I dont get it.
>>
>>64048705
Fuck dude "Twilight" had a better story. FUCKING TWILIGHT!
>>
>>64048838
>dogshit is better than catshit
star wars quarantine board when
>>
>>64048977
>not even Hans death is really that memorable.
Not point in arguing, history will prove you wrong
>>
>>64048705

It's defenders can only defend it by comparing it to the prequels. That should tell you something.
>>
>>64049251
It sucked man. I felt nothing. I was kind of glad he died. I felt bad for Chewie for a few minutes. Til I realized the Life debt was now over and Chewie was free of the slavery.
>>
>>64048977
>The only weak part is Han/Leia on the ground with the ewoks.

that's a big weak part and also jabba's part was not solid at all and too "george lucas-y" and drawn out
>>
>>64049417
Star Wars was never about tear jerkers, I didn't feel anything after Luke's uncle and aunt died but I remember the binary sunset, and I'll remember the room going dark and Kylo killing Han, and so will the fanbase.
>>
The Force Coercion scene between Rey and the stormtrooper shouldn't have happened at all, but would've been better if it didn't work.

The stupid fucking earthquake that separates Kylo from our heroes in the saber battle at the end of the movie was retarded, Kylo should've either submitted to his wounds and escaped or Rey and Finn realizing they weren't suited to fight an at least somewhat trained Sith and using the environment to create obstacles as they escape.

Too many fortunate coincidences push the movie along then it stops abruptly, the entire thing feels like a build up and I was literally shocked that the movie ended when it did. Feels like filler just for the sake of having 3 movies.
>>
>>64049817
>Too many fortunate coincidences

C3PO type character was lacking. He could translate multiple languages and help out some things in general for Rey.
>>
>>64048705
It's because we read the entire plot already before seeing the movie.There were no surprises, nothing to discover. Our first experience was some shitty plot synopsis from a shooting schedule.
>>
>>64049817
>The stupid fucking earthquake
How convenient. Shit writing.
>>
>>64049817
It was the will of The Force.
>>
>>64048748
using the word "sheeple" gives you away, be subtler
>>
>>64048705
Beginning was really good but once Rey and Finn got into the picture, the movie became weak. Boyega did the best he could with his character, by Daisy is a terrible actress and the character was weak. Good grief, I wasn't on the Mary sue boat until she started correcting Han Solo on how to fly the Falcon.
>>
>>64049251
>People in denial in 1999 were saying this about TPM

Search your feelings, you know this to be true.
>>
It was really boring at times. And there didn't really seemed to be any urgency to the plot. Actually, there's practically no plot.

Also Han Solo being killed by his son is so fan-fictioney that I just can't help but cringe.

And the ending was beyond awful.
>>
>the Republic is only on 5 planets in the same system
>90% of the aliens are nonsense one-offs instead of Star Wars aliens
>Mac & Me droid
>amateur writing whenever the plot requires the past to be explained
>the black guy being a modern day frat boy type in a space fantasy movie
>that dumb woman yoda character
>both Snoke's name and appearance
>the most badass character was "TRAITOR!"

8ish/10 movie, tho
>>
Am I the only one who thinks that the worst acting was, by far, from Lupita N'yongo? The voice didn't match the "old wise" character at all and her delivery was all wrong.
>>
File: seriously?.jpg (6 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
seriously?.jpg
6 KB, 250x241
>>64049873

Implying Rey needs help
>>
File: driver.jpg (131 KB, 664x454) Image search: [Google]
driver.jpg
131 KB, 664x454
I'll be honest, this guy was a likeable and interesting enough character for me to want to see the sequel.

Also I really like this actor for some reason.

>dashing rogue classic look but weird looking enough for betas to identify with him
>6'4"
>0% jewish ancestry
>his dad is Han Solo
>his grandpa was Darth Vader
>probably the best family lineage ever
>his voice doesn't suck
>his armor is rad as shit
>made his own lightsaber
>he's intimidating in a evil Sith way that Hayden was not
>he's an actor you can find adorable but also terrified as shit of

Why would I root for the normie minority rebel scums when this guy exists
>>
>>64050307

He was also like a marine or something.
>>
>>64050209
it annoys me Disney obviously had a hand in it, and Abrams made it a standard "marvel formula" movie.

movies at this scale should be LOTR-esque in length time and pacing. I'm suprised they didn't kill off Kylo at the end.
>>
>>64050247
She and Daisy were terrible.
>>
File: 1450843064315.jpg (33 KB, 319x388) Image search: [Google]
1450843064315.jpg
33 KB, 319x388
>>64050307
>dashing rogue classic look
>>
File: radtrooper.jpg (66 KB, 555x372) Image search: [Google]
radtrooper.jpg
66 KB, 555x372
>>64048791
>superior to ROTJ imo

Nope, ROTJ is the best film of the OT, best Vader fight, Swoop bikes, best planet, best lightsaber, best space battle, best memes, best soundtrack, the movie takes place on every planet in the series, its a hell of a ride with the greatest ending of all time

Literally cuck off
>>
>>64048705
It felt really thin. There was a lack of original plot points or character motivations. Most scenes just felt like JJ Abrams nudging you and saying "remember this". Star Wars is a shit franchise.
>>
>>64050420

They don't go to Hoth or Bespin in it. The only planet that they revisit is Tatooine
>>
>>64050307
That's all fine and dandy.

But why is it okay for the first movie in the trilogy to be so weak? We only have a promise for the sequel to be good.

The producer for the next one is the guy that did Looper. Literally shit portfolio and a gamble.
>>
I was so disappointed.
>>
>>64050307
need a higher res to masturbate

pls thanks
>>
>>64050484
I feel like people forget that ANH wasn't the greatest thing ever and was an average of 7/10 when it came out
Empire was the movie that made Star Wars what it is today,though that was for some reason the least well-recieved of the bunch
>>
>>64050345
Yeah he's a real life hero

>doesn't get his ears pinned back like every other hollywood sheeple

Top qt
>>
>>64050547
What? Star Wars was huge before Empire
>>
>>64050484
Guy who has made 2 great movies and one good movie has a bad portfolio?
I mean if his next movie aren't that good thats one thing, but this guys has a good track record thus far
>>
File: driver-tie.jpg (151 KB, 594x396) Image search: [Google]
driver-tie.jpg
151 KB, 594x396
James Bond when?
>>
Everyone knows it was a poor film in their heart. People are still convincing themselves it's good due to some kind of bizarre loyalty, because they now realise the thing they always wanted is actually not what they wanted at all. A good artists creates art that people NEED and not what people want. Lucas is a genius, JJ is a hack. Nobody is going to remember JJ and his uber derivative remakes/reboots in 20 years, but they will sure as shit remember the story of Anakin skywalker, his journey to the darkside and his salvation by his son. That's the Starwars mythology and that is what will be remembered for a very long time
>>
>>64050607
Well let me put it this way
If ANH was to come out these years, it wouldn't be all that great. The only reason it was so big was because it was the 70's and this was some ground-breaking shit
>>
>>64050483
also Dagobah
>>
>>64050620
Is this the dank new meme of the day where we pretend this guy is anything but malformed?
>>
It was disappointing and clearly rushed. The Han Solo storyline especially. Here it is in a nutshell.
> Kylo is my son who koined the darkside after Luke screwed up.
> BEN!
> Kylo for the FIRST time shows some emotions. Then kills Daddy.
They actually thought we were supposed to feel for Kylo after that. No denying that was a HORRIBLE build.

One of many disappointments. It wasn't bad, I liked it and had good moments, but it was clear they rushed this movie and it had many plot holes in it. Not the kind where a new movie will fill, the kind that just bypass logic and were writing faults.
>>
>>64050641
I know this is bait, but the movie is a 7/10 at best and 6/10 at worst. Its a good movie, but not much more
>>
Guys it's popular so we all have to hate it.
>>
>>64050617
He also directed Ozymandias which is the most acclaimed episode of Breaking Bad
>>
It was schlock, but at least it was fun to watch. Maybe not as good as the OT, but better than the prequels. There was a lot of poetry, but I feel like JJ did it better than George.

Girl was overpowered, I don't like her much.
>>
>>64050686
What the fuck?

> "Kylo for the FIRST time shows some emotions."

I literally feel like you retards read what /tv/ has to say then go into the movie with blinders on. He shows more emotion and character than every person in the PT besides Obi Wan, Sidious, and MAYBE Anakin
>>
Didn't Genysis do the same thing where they wave off important plot points with lines like, "don't worry about that now," or "I'll fill you in later" and forgetting about it? This is the Genysis of Star Wars but at least the special effects were good. A dainty princess main character we're supposed to believe can kick all sorts of ass because she beat up a few thugs with a staff on a desert planet means she's a trained swordsman. I'm not even a cinephile or a huge star wars fan I just wanted to see a good movie.
>>
>>64050730
She was a bit Mary-Sueish but so was Luke in the OT. Not to the same extent but still. I am kind of holding back judgement on that because they made it pretty evident we will get some sort of back story about her in the sequels. So I don't know what the proper thing to do is, judge the character in each movie or judge their arc over the three films?
>>
Glib facsimile
>>
>>64050876
Luke was cool because he got stronger throughout the movies, and still failed. If it wasn't for Vader than Luke would have died. Rey is already good at everything so seeing the same type of progress is not gonna happen
>>
>>64050617
>>64050718

Again, the promise is there.

I find Looper to be very flawed, I loved the first half but 2nd half didn't live up for me.
>>
>/tv/, not /blog/
>>
>>64050682
you're just upset that you'll never be anywhere near as alpha.
>>
>>64050876
It just felt like her awakening to the force was too fast and too strong. There wasn't enough buildup, they should have waited until the next movie to have her use a lightsaber and the mind trick so effortlessly.

Maybe she'll get better with more context, but as is I don't like it.
>>
great board guys
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 308x302) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 308x302
>all these replies to a troll thread with no substance whatsoever
>>
>>64051157
>Star Wars
>substance
>>
>>64051085

Yeah, Ren was saying shit like "she's loose, and she's practicing her abilities!" and this bitch has been out of jail for all of ten minutes and he's behaving as if she'll miraculously become a Jedi Master within the hour.
>>
>>64050795
I'll eat this bait. So you think the fact that he only was a crybaby ( like Anakin) he was a emotional character? His only modes were.

> Calm Badass w/ mask
> WAAAAAHHHH
> Possible regret/sadness after killing Han

So if he is a emotional character that makes everyone on that list 10x more by your logic. Kylo was a rushed character. Thanks for namecalling by the way. When you have no argument, just namecall!
>>
>>64049251
If you didn't see that hackneyed death scene coming from 500 miles away you might want to get tested for down's
>>
>>64049417
>life debt
fanfiction isn't canon.
>>
>>64051085
>>64051190
That's kind of why I think her being one of Luke's pupils at one point b4 she was dropped off at Jakku the most likely storyline. I wouldn't be surprised though if they took the story in a whole different direction, I feel like all the similarities to A New Hope was to gain the audiences trust back. Apparently in the novelization it talks about how Rey's anger gives her more power so it would be interesting to see her go to the Dark side after training with Luke. I wouldn't want that to happen though, Luke deserves better than to see two apprentices fail
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 330x186) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 330x186
Thank you /tv/ for a nice discussion thread. Some thread derailers have showed up, but we still have a nice thread.
>>
>>64051240
If you think memorable is a synonym for surprising I can tell you you're retarded, no test necessary
>>
>>64048977
they are millennial underages

thats why
>>
>>64051294

She's gotta be Luke's daughter. Leia wouldn't have cared enough to hug her and send her after Luke for any other reason.
>>
>>64051233
Did you miss his multiple tantrums?
>>
>>64050693

Its a bad movie unless you're used to watching horrible movies.
>>
>>64051324
>it was extremely predictable and clichéd but it was still memorable
>>
>>64051327
Actually the majority of miillenials now are 18+.
It's fucking Generation Z fucking everything up.
>>
>>64051294
One anon thought she might be Palpatine's relative instead. Extremely unlikely, but it would make for a neat twist.
>>
>>64051416
Scare killing Mufasa was extremely predictable and cliche but I dare you to find a kid who watched The Lion King who doesn't remember it.

You're literally a retard.
>>
>>64048705

I cannot believe people are going bonkers over this movie like it’s a revival of the fallen Star Wars franchise. It’s a brainless muh actionfest that never slows down long enough to create a decent story, or character development, or a feeling of suspense or intrigue; it’s just non-stop bullshit that jumps from one thing to the next with the occasional desperate fan service tossed in. It poorly copies IV and is a lifeless, uninspired husk of a movie. Disney has basically admitted that Star Wars is one giant cash-grab that they are going to run into the ground. They tossed Lucas' ideas for eps 7-9, and tossed out the Extended Universe to make their own overly bloated and convoluted one which they'll be whoring out with new spinoff movies every year in a Marvel-esque manner without having done research on the original eps. The movie is completely void of any originality or feeling of life, as it barrels from one dull over-done action scene to the next, with none of them even lasting long enough to feel satisfied and no build-up to give them weight or significance. They barely let the characters get a sentence in before it’s onto the next BIG ACTION SEQUENCE that then ends too soon in favor of moving onto the next meaningless one. The movie appears made for the A.D.D. retarded movie-goers and is indicative of everything wrong with JJ Abrams' filmmaking and Disney's thoughtless approach to the franchise. I literally hate it so much that it actually makes me like the fucking prequels more, which at least had okay stories and intriguing ideas hidden behind their shitty dialogue and Hayden Christensen's repulsive acting. This movie is nothing but shitty fan fiction that got a huge budget, and is the absolute death of the Star Wars franchise for me. Fuck this overblown, overrated, overhyped A.D.D. shitfest. You are literally fucking retarded if you think it’s good.
>>
>>64048705
Of course it was disappointing. You wanted Star Wars, not Marvel Capeshit wearing the Star Wars equivalent of black face
>>
>>64051233
I'd say him talking about the pull of the light side was a pretty interesting and emotional moment. It is clear that he is unsure of himself, which is why he wears the mask in the first place because not even Hux takes him seriously.

His anger and raging adds more to his character than Anakin's ever did. He wants to be like Vader, who did not hesitate to murder underlings who did not perform to par. Kylo cannot even manage to do that, he just throws temper tantrums and slashes up computer screens.

The interesting thing is I don't think he even expressed regret/sadness after killing Han. If anything he was just disappointed because he thought it would be the thing that gave him the power he desired, yet Han essentially forgave him when he touched Kylo's face. So right now we are looking at a character that is dealing with the pull of the light side while wanting to be evil. After being embarrassed by Rey I wouldn't be surprised to see him pull something extreme to achieve his goals.
>>
>>64051493
>a kid

kids are inexperienced so of course they're gonna like something they never seen before
>>
>>64051547
Star Wars is a kids movie as well, why does Lion King get a pass?
>>
File: vader_thumbs_up.jpg (17 KB, 300x355) Image search: [Google]
vader_thumbs_up.jpg
17 KB, 300x355
>>64051494
Nailed it.
>>
>>64051587
what the fuck are you talking about? The Lion King never gets talked here and most posters were kids when they watched it.
>>
>>64051494
Well said
>>
>>64051617
It's still regarded as one of the best animated films of all time
>>
>>64051494
Laying down the truth
>>
>>64050620
Next Bond will be Rebecca Ferguson. MI: Rogue Nation was her audition. Screencap this post.
>>
>>64048705
nothing about it was disappointing except the faggot aspies like you whining
>>
>>64051494
I understand what you're saying, but I feel like this has more magic and intrigue than all of the prequels. If this was just Marvel 2.0 they wouldn't have put time into practical effects, the creatures, or some of the shots and camera work they used. Marvel movies are literally generic as it gets, its a few steps away from shot-reverse-shot.
>>
>>64048705
Main characters lacked charisma. The geriatrics should not have been on screen for as long as they were.

Otherwise good.
>>
Loved the new characters. I don't mind the rehashed plot or the overpowered Rey, but they're legitimate complaints.
>>
File: 1278297184188.jpg (49 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1278297184188.jpg
49 KB, 640x640
It was actually really bad just like the prequels
>that terrible dialogue
>all that awkwardly set up forced nostalgia
>modern marvel tier humor
>that terrible editing
>those poorly done scene transitions trying emulate the feelings of the other movies

I really liked how they had to remind us over and over that kylo is han and leias boy just to set up hans deathtoo
>>
>"TFA will be shit! Fucking Jew Jew Abrams, fucking nigger main character, fucking SJWs! People won't accept this! It will be worse than the prequels and a total flop!"
>Trailer drops. Record pre-sales, screenings booked out months in advance. Hype incredibly high.
>"I-i-t'll still be a flop! Guaranteed to be shit! Phantom Menace sold well too before people realised it was shit! N-nigger character!"
>TFA releases. 5 star reviews, record opening day. People love based Johnny B's performance, and he's very well received.
>"o-ok it might not be as bad as we thought, but it's still not going to beat Jurassic World! Disney are finished!"
>Beats Jurassic World, despite being released in off-season and no Chinese release.
>"J-just wait until based RLM eviscerates it for being A New Hope ripoff in a Mr Plinkett review! You'll f-fucking see then Starfags!"
>Mike loves it. RLM approve and think it has saved the Star Wars franchise from the prequels.
>"FUCKING SHIT FILM, MARY SUE JEW SHIT. PREQUEL LOVE THREAD. WHO FUCKING LOVES ATTACK OF THE CLONES? I DO. REVENGE OF THE SITH WAS BETTER THAN ROTJ. BASED GEORGE LUCAS. WELL AT LEAST TFA WON'T BEAT AVATAR, I FUCKING SWEAR TO GOD PLEASE."

The contrarians have been backed into a corner really, they started so verbose. So confident that the film would be a flop, not break any records and would be panned by critics. Slowly as TFA has BTFO them on every conceivable level, they've been reduced to adopting some bizarre cult-like contrarian attitude to the prequels, proclaiming them as underrated gems, and trying to push some kind of narrative where if TFA doesn't beat Avatar, it's somehow failed, despite already being a record breaking movie and saving Star Wars.
>>
>>64051823
>>that terrible dialogue
The dialogue in the series has always been terrible. In fact, is probably the most bearable in TFW.
>>
>>64051751
The practical effects was a marketing gimmick, nothing more. Movie is soulless, it's just Star Trek: Into Darkness with an expensive star wars skin, all flash no substance.
>>
>>64051880
>Movie is soulless
This meme is tired. Let it go, you'll feel better
>>
>>64048705
I just got back from it with a few friends and that's exactly how we all felt. It was an alright movie but had some issues. I liked it more than the prequels but not as much as any of the OT.

First and foremost, it was entertaining, and that's what a Star Wars movie should be. They're not cinematic masterpieces, they're popcorn flicks with likeable characters.
>>
>>64051849
Its a decent action flick of you go in knowing nothing of SW, but a bad SW movie. Nobody gives a shit about the finances.
>>
>>64051878
the dialogue was way better, fleshed out, and immersive in the prequels
>>
>>64051909
>this movie as soul
I can't stop laughing
Do you think GOTG/Jurassic World do too?
>>
>>64051494
History will speak louder for everyone. Will the movie institute good will for people to see the sequels? Will the spin offs perform well critically etc...

ONE thing for sure is, TFA did do a good job for kickstarting the franchise, almost as if it was its only job.
>>
>>64051932
>They're not cinematic masterpieces, they're popcorn flicks with likeable characters.
the originals were absolutely special effect masterpieces when they were originally released
>>
>>64051950
"Soul" is a vague, esoteric critique that doesn't actually mean anything. It's like "pretentious."
>>
>>64051989
Marketing, hype and paid critics did that, not TFA
>>
>>64051942
>"From my point of view the Jedi are evil!"
Trolling is only fun when it isn't obvious
>>
>>64051909
I feel fine, but that doesn't stop TFA from being a hollow husk of a movie written by committee to pander to nostalgia fags cheaply by rehashing the OT, relying on the effect of nostalgia and "ooh cool action scene" to distract the audience from how shitty and soulless it is.
>>
>>64051997
>>64051932
I think they are a good starting point for people to get into film. The OT has all the right elements that can satisfy normies while also providing extensive dialogue on the films themselves. I honestly think the PT is great in the long run, I've probably had more fun talking about how the PT could've been good with my friends that are into film than talking about the OT.
>>
>>64052022
you don't need a flim studies degree to see that TFA is a passionless corporate cash-grab that doesn't take a single creative risk
>>
it was fantastic ,I really enjoyed it

Only bit I didn't like was the middle section where they meet the little yellow women and it erupts in to another battle

The second act almost ruined it t b h
>>
>>64051495
thats what i thougth lost a freind over that argument
>>
>>64052118
According to JJ, killing Han Solo was a risk
>>
>>64052092
So the second Death Star and lineage twist in Episode VI was't a rehash? Episode I taking a kid from Tatooine in order to train him as a Jedi and having him blow up a big structure before giving him a medal in an award ceremony at the end of the film isn't a rehash of A New Hope? The Star Wars story is cyclical.
>>
STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS WAS GOOD

FUCK ALL OF YOU CONTRARIAN KEKS
>>
>>64050260
>Speaks Wookie somehow
>>
>>64052042
TFA did not fuck up though. It was OK.
>>
>>64052118
Like I said here >>64051751 if it truly was "soulless" they wouldn't have put time into practical effects to capture the Star Wars feel. If it was relying on action scenes then why did we get the cool shots on Jakku, the cool shots of Kylo and Snoke or Kylo on the bridge with Han? You're just ignoring my points instead of addressing them. Calling the practical effects a marketing ploy is ridiculous, especially when one of the major complaints about the PT was too much CGI.
>>
>>64052118
>"creative risk"
Nice meme. Caring about originality leads us to piss Christ, not the Sistine Chapel
>>
>>64052216
Wait a bit. TPM had the same reception back in 1999.
>>
>>64049251
>Not point in arguing, history will prove you wrong

top kek m8, this movie is just as forgettable as your average MCU movie.

No one talks about those, and no one will talk about TFA and other early Disney Star Wars in 10 years either.
>>
>>64049817
>Sith
He's not a Sith.
>>
>>64052192
If JJ considers that a risk then he's fucking pathetic. The only thing it was was cheap poorly written drama, but the act of Han dying is not risky at all.

They could have killed off Han before the movie started and it wouldn't have been a big deal.
>>
>>64048806

You think that's bad? Wait till you meet the people who think it's better than ANH
>>
>>64052192
Well considering they way it happened, no it wasn't. In fact if anything it was predictable.
>>
>>64052261
Yeah that anon seems to forget that A New Hope is literally just Flash Gordon x The Hidden Fortress.
>>
>>64052247
>if it truly was "soulless" they wouldn't have put time into practical effects to capture the Star Wars feel

It didn't capture the Star Wars feel. It lazily tried to imitate the feel, like how McDonalds captures the feel of food. It's the crappy, soulless knockoff imitation of the original designed by marketers.
>>
>>64052318
>>64052365

In his own words, "it feels dangerous"
>>
>>64052049
>cherrypicking
>>
>>64052277
It didn't. Counting original reviews, it had like a 65% on RT, compared to TFW's 94%. And as someone who saw both films on opening day, the difference in their audience reactions was night and day. People were laughing and cheering throughout TFW, while TPM was almost completely silent apart from the opening.
>>
>>64052277
I wouldn't know. I just know I can't watch PTs for more than 20 minutes while TFA was watchable to say the least.

I do agree they might go full retard in the next one.
>>
>>64052370
Come on, at least it was in a new universe/world.
>>
>>64052431
It also follows the monomyth theory very closely. Lucas used it as a blueprint for the film
>>
>>64052389

Damn look at this patrician here.
>>
>>64052389
Okay maybe it didn't for all the jaded contrarians on 4chan but when Poe jumped into his X-Wing at the beginning I was impressed. When the little alien pokes his head out of the desert in Jakku I couldn't help but smile, it reminded me of what Star Wars was about. I feel the same way when the Jawas come on screen in ANH or when we get to see Jabbas Palace in ROTJ.
>>
>>64052247
>one of the complaints about the PT was too much CGI
>hey guys to make sure that our movie doesn'tbhave the CGI odium attached to it lets just spend some cash from our endless budget on token practical effects.

I don't agree with everything the anon said but he has a point about the practical effects.
>>
>>64052401
Lord help me, thank god he isn't directing VIII or IX. The man must be a fucking android or something built in Disney's labs to think that it feels dangerous. The only "dangerous" part about it was doing it poorly, but that applies to anything remotely dramatic.
>>
>>64052261
not caring about originality leads us to the bible, not sound & fury or whatever
>>
File: 1409585488955.gif (2 MB, 400x206) Image search: [Google]
1409585488955.gif
2 MB, 400x206
>>64051587

Because the Lion King came out in 1994 you immense fucking faggot.
>>
>>64051441
>18+ while being born in a millenium that only existed for 15 years
>>
>>64049670
>fanbase

you mean normies who watch the movie once and hail it as the second coming of christ

like you
>>
>>64052551
What does that have to do with anything? Are the kids of today magically more versed in the cliche story lines of films?
>>
>>64052401
And taking a sip of alcohol "feels dangerous" to a Quaker. I'm only trying to point out that if we're talking taking risks then no, killing off Han was not risky. Kylo becoming good would've been a shock, maybe not a great idea, but much more risky.
>>
>>64052489
>Okay maybe it didn't for all the jaded contrarians on 4chan but when Poe jumped into his X-Wing at the beginning I was impressed.
so you're not from here?
>>
>>64051587
TFA is for menchildren, not literal children.
>>
>>64052542
Modernism is overrated. Before the 20th century obsession with originality, most great artists concerned themselves with trying to find universal constants in aesthetics. Qualities that appeal to us innately, not just something that happened to be new. Star Wars was so successful because it took Campbell's idea and decided to copy various myths and fairytales from around the world, not because it tried to do something new.
>>
>>64050682
DJ Qualis was worse
>>
>>64052489
The thing is, the previous 6 movies while having pottery all had their own moments and additions to the SW universe. This didn't, it just took things away. EA battlefront has a more diverse spaceship roster than TFA for fucks sake. Not to mention we went from this : https://youtu.be/CcX8mDRIhYE to now just using hyperspace for whatever. Add in a lack of aliens, a serious lack of downtime moments and a pants on head treasure map for Luke as the title scroll pllt and you can see why people who have been watching these for 20+ years might think this one sucks ass.
>>
>>64052635
>Kylo becoming good would've been a shock, maybe not a great idea, but much more risky.
You're an idiot. Kylo following Vader's exact arc would be a shock, but killing a main character in the first film in your new series isn't.
>>
>>64052635
>Kylo becoming good would've been a shock, maybe not a great idea, but much more risky.
yeah that's what I was thinking while that scene was happening. I was like "you know, it would actually be kind of intriguing if he wasn't bullshitting. It would be over the top feel-good, but at least it wouldn't be the obvious fucking choice." Of course TFA is so paint by numbers that of course kylo is lying wow big shocker there
>>
>>64052636
I've been here for 4 years but I've moved on and I only come back for film making and screen writing generals or if I see a thread about a director I like. Just got sick of the hivemind mentality, made me think I was better than other people in real life.
>>
>>64052726
You're a fucking nerd. Nothing you just listed is a quality that affects whether or not the movie is good. Having a diverse ship roster doesn't make the characters interesting.
>>
File: 1449120296898.jpg (31 KB, 408x408) Image search: [Google]
1449120296898.jpg
31 KB, 408x408
>>64048705
I agree. I like it, but i came out of the theater thinking that it was a 2 hour trailer for Ep VIII and the rest of whatever they're doing.

No feels, no action, visually was great but the story department is really lacking.

I still very much excited for VIII, Luke at the end got my heart racing, literally the only 10/10 moment.
>>
>>64052797
Giving them some fucking down time sure would have though
>>
>>64052758
I doubt that very much
>>
>>64052726
I do agree that I wish we got to see more of the aliens in Maz cantina, after Jakku we don't get to see much world building. But I felt like there was sufficient down time. And like >>64052797 said I really liked all the characters, except fucking Carrie Fischers old plastic ass.
>>
>>64048977
IT'S NOT A MEME!! RotJ is shit except for its ending. I just had a marathon of all the films. Empire is still as badass as ever and still the best. Jedi was shit, it was tough to watch. RotJ and TPM were both tough to watch for me. Even AotC, which I have always despised, was much more entertaining to watch than RotJ and I can't believe I am saying that.

Furthermore, TFA revises and minimizes the impact of that RotJ ending. In a world where TFA exists, RotJ is now a weaker film than ever before
>>
>>64052840
I thought the opening on Jakku was decently paced. That 20 minutes with her sledding on sand dunes and exploring ships felt very New Hope in terms of pacing
>>
>Watching EP7
>Snoke on the water starts playing
>>
>>64052581
Are you stupid? Millennials are people already born before 2000, roughly 16-29 year olds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials

Fuck.
>>
>>64052853
What? I've been here since I was a freshman in HS, I'm a sophomore in college now. I just moved on from being an edgy retard and watching gore gifs 24/7. You can do it too if you try
>>
>>64052837
>No feels
I got major feels when Han Solo called Kylo Ren Ben and when Rey has her excaliber moment and force grabs the lightsaber
>>
>>64052989
>I got major feels
> Jeff Mangum Died For Your Sins
Are you sure those were your own or just what you saw other people pushing again, Eko?
>>
>>64052914
Didn't really do shit for character building though. Its just her in silence bar a few lines with CGI. With Luke we get tons of interaction before shit hits the fan to see who he is, then more downtime in the falcon and slightly more at the rebel base. Nobody in TFA gets any development at all, except maybe Finn and he's largely background noise once they meet up with Han. Everything else is just one set of SPLOOOOSSSHIOONS into the next.
>>
>>64053054
We get to see that Rey is a scavenger, that is on her own. We learn that she has a problem letting go of the past. We also learn she has some compassion as she doesn't sell BB-8 and she also has an interest in being a pilot as she has the pilot helmet/has practiced with the different ships that she works on.
>>
>>64053054
>a few lines
The best aspect of this movie is how much it articulates with so little dialogue. Her living in an ATAT, her putting on a rebel helmet and pretending to be a pilot, her looking at the old woman doing exactly what she's doing and wondering if she's going to be stuck on Jakku for the rest of her life, her marking off the days. It says everything with just a handful of lines.
>>
File: Valerian Laureline.png (1024 KB, 534x1021) Image search: [Google]
Valerian Laureline.png
1024 KB, 534x1021
>>64052370

Valerian and Laureline x The Hidden Fortress
>>
>>64050420
best ewoks too

The key to all this

They couldn't make Jar Jar back in the early 80s
>>
>>64053054
>Nobody in TFA gets any development at all
Such bullshit. Kylo Ren gets as much development in this movie as Vader gets in all three original films.
>>
>>64053174
I agree, I picked up on a lot of it, but some of the stuff I didn't notice until the 2nd viewing. One of the things that stood out to me, which was dialogue but still interesting, was when Kylo was interrogating Rey and he talks about how she has trouble sleeping and imagines an ocean with a green island that helps calm her down. Guess where Luke was?
>>
>>64052680
>artists concerned themselves with trying to find universal constants in aesthetics
yeah and it lead to 600 years of music that all sounded the same and 600 years of paintings that all looked the same

Listen, there's a balance between originality and constants that you have to achieve for a piece of art to be worthwhile. Obviously you don't want to overdo it in one direction or the other.

And also, the whole "universal constants at the expense of originality" maybe works when you're talking about premodern art, but this is a 2015 Disney Star Wars film. It isn't aiming to achieve some aesthetic universal constant, it's aiming to be as inoffensive and palatable as possible so no one can even say it's "not good" because it just isn't anything at all. It's lack of originality isn't some noble artistic goal by Disney, they just want the movie to be at least tolerable for as many people as possible. TFA isn't even really about the actual content of the movie at this point, it's about the palpable hype for whatever Disney decides to slap the "Star Wars" label on.

I feel like good art has its flaws, and TFA doesn't really have any flaws because its a two hour movie where nothing fucking happens and all of the characters barely say anything.

idk
>>
>>64053030
I just say whatever people want to read. I'm the JJ Abrams of posters
>>
Well I thought about it

And it's still great
>>
>>64053281
I don't know if you can bag on TFA for its artistic merit if you are complaining about a 2 hour movie where "nothing fucking happens" and "characters barely say anything." You don't seem to be the most qualified person to talk about art in films lmao
>>
>>64048705
>dissapointing
The most disappointing thing was the fact that it was barely more than a blatant clone of A New Hope. I came out of it thinking "so why did this story need to be told exactly? oh right, money"
>>
>>64053265
>Generically evil faggot at the beginning
>Develops into a generically evil faggot at the end
Him being "conflicted" is all tell and no show, he doesn't demonstrate any worthwhile character development throughout the entire movie.
>>
>>64052930
>>Snoke on the water starts playing
kok
>>
>>64053399
You're right, the story does seem kind of pointless.
>>
>>64053280
wow such deep dialog she has a dream about the last scene of the movie #deep
>>
>>64053399
The Luke plot, which was the main one, is nothing like A New Hope.
>>
>>64053391
That's not supposed to be a literal statement

nothing happens of note and the characters barely say anything of note

hows that
>>
>>64053281
>yeah and it lead to 600 years of music that all sounded the same and 600 years of paintings that all looked the same
Fucking pleb shit. Art continued to evolve during the dark ages, suggesting otherwise is a meme.

>It isn't aiming to achieve some aesthetic universal constant,
This is exactly what focus testing tries to accomplish. Your critique seems to boil down to complaints about its competence, and Disney's need to please the fanbase. It's an ingratiating film, but it's also competently made
>>
File: Juno.jpg (62 KB, 396x538) Image search: [Google]
Juno.jpg
62 KB, 396x538
They should have added Juno Eclipse
>>
>>64053454
Its also completely retarded and is the worst plot of any SW movie
>>
>>64053454
>The Luke plot, which was the main one,

you mean the excuse for the macguffin which doesn't actually become releveant until right at the end of the movie? right.
pretty sure they put "map to Luke" in place of "plans to the starkiller base" just to avoid one more similarity, but it doesn't negate the other 99.
>>
everyone had to see it because star wars. But really it's shit, right?
>>
>>64053409
As opposed to Vader in A New Hope, who was less of a character and more of a presence. At least Kylo has a backstory, qualities that conflict with his outward persona (he's incredibly insecure), and a relationship with the protagonist.
>>
>>64053443
It implies that she has a connection to Luke or that island somehow through the Force.
>>
>>64053536
>>64053539
>finding the lost hermit in order to receive your training not a God-tier fantasy trope
>>
I think the rocky movie might be good.
>>
File: 1447362849381.jpg (51 KB, 464x598) Image search: [Google]
1447362849381.jpg
51 KB, 464x598
>>64053652
> needing a map to find a planet in a charted galaxy
>>
>>64053743
the planet was a secret jedi temple. and they didnt know which planet Luke was on so they couldn't search all of them
>>
>>64053652
nice deflection. it might be a nice trope, but it basically didn't actually happen in the movie. maybe in the next.
>>
>>64053511
>Disney's need to please the fanbase.
of the same people who enjoyed Frozen
>It's an ingratiating film, but it's also competently made
to appeal to people who enjoyed Frozen

It's an inoffensive children's movie and I don't understand why adults are enjoying it. If you are actually arguing for the movies artistic merit as a grown adult going so far as to decry originality in art and referencing 600 years of artistic history then, whatever, sure, TFA is the new Hamlet.
>>
>>64053743
They explained it in the movie. They followed his trajectory, not just his location
>>
>>64053594
It's objectively at least average compared to other big Hollywood blockbusters. As always reddit consensus drives butthurt redditors to /tv/ looking to give their opinions like anyone gives a shit
>>
>>64053529
Remember she cuck the original Starkiller with the clon.
>>
>>64053792
It was the entire impetus for the events of the film
>>
>>64053817
I've been here all summer, my mom let's me use her computer.
>>
File: 1450972306305.webm (3 MB, 720x304) Image search: [Google]
1450972306305.webm
3 MB, 720x304
>>64050222
TR-8R was the best. I wish he would return in next movies.
>>
>>64050222
>>90% of the aliens are nonsense one-offs instead of Star Wars aliens
Best part of the movie. It already had too many callbacks
>>
>>64053600
I would rather an antagonist have their character left ambiguous/being a presence than presenting no credible threat or having screen presence whatsoever, while also not being an interesting character.

Things like a backstory, showing off character traits, and relationships are wonderful if they're done well. But Kylo's isn't done well, he's shallow and boring.
>>
>>64053859
yeah but that doesn't mean anything. it was just a macguffin. they only used "map to Luke" for novelty value but you can see it was really less important than the starkiller base to the plot. they might have well gone full out and jsut made them plans to the thing, at least then the fucker wouldn't have popped up in the middle of the film suddenly out of no-where.
>>
>>64053886
>ooh noo I can't kill people I need to desert
>2 minutes later, he's merrily slaughtering his previous comrades without a second thought
NIGGER
>>
>>64050209
>practically no plot
This.
>so these are new characters we are gonna use later, see you in 2 years
>>
>>64053886
>noob with a lightsaber

I still can't get over the fact that two people who had never seen or touched a lightsabre before in there entire FUCKING lives managed to use it without dying like a bitch.
Emovader must be the worst fucking lightsaber trainee the galaxy has ever seen. wtf. fights two people who are complete noobs and somehow they beat him. I mean, did he even try? he should have basically stabbed them and been done in 2 seconds. what a total twat.
>>
>>64053959
You're so committing to being a contrarian that you're justifying Vader's complete lack of characterization after implying that Kylo Ren had no real characterization. At least have a consistent position.
>>
>>64053814
>>64053775
The movie clearly shows the piece in BB8 having 100s to 1000s of starsytems. Its like an 1/8 of the galaxy. It also shows it having the endpoint, not a trajectory. They even say "we cant find these systems" If it didnt have the endpoint, then the remaining 7/8s of the galaxy that Kylo said they already had did and its even fucking dumber. The whole setup is inane, but to then go out of the way and pretend nobody has a galactic chart lying around when its what makes hyperspace possibly is just shitting on star wars for the lone purpose of not using starkiller plans.

Speaking of starkiller plans, if they already had those WHY THE FUCK IS EVERY REPUBLIC RESOURCE IN ONE SYSTEM. This movies plot is fucking garbage tier, a high budget action flick thats pretty on the surface but does nothing but undermine the world George established in 6 prior films.
>>
>>64054002
Up until Maz, the map to Luke is the primary moving force for the plot. It's the reason Rey meets up with BB-8 in the first place.
>>
>>64054147
>WHY THE FUCK IS EVERY REPUBLIC RESOURCE IN ONE SYSTEM
They don't. The Resistance is part of the Republic.
>>
>>64051849
my sides are in fucking orbit right now
>>
>>64054130
My position is consistent. Kylo's character is shit and makes no meaningful character development throughout the movie. Detailing character traits doesn't inherently mean that the character is better, and compared to Vader who in ANH was still fairly enigmatic, Kylo isn't nearly as compelling.
>>
>>64054256
Not technically. Its stated the entire republic fleet and the senate is destroyed in the hosnian system. All the rebels have are rhose handful of xwings, also stated. Its fucking stupid as shit.
>>
>>64054404
The notion that the entire Republic governmental system would be in one system of planets isn't just consistent with the prequels, it makes complete sense in any contest. The entire United States legislative body works in a single building. Isn't that a security issue?
>>
>>64050641
Yes.
>>
>>64052410
>People were laughing and cheering throughout TFW, while TPM was almost completely silent apart from the opening.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I don't feel like the worth of TPM can be determined by gauging such reactions. Mostly because I feel like a lot of the movies that garner such hoots and hollers only do so cause they pander the lowest and most base emotions of the audience in order to make up for the quality of the picture.

It's something that really bugs me about movies today. As if they're more about creating a cinematic rollercoaster than a good film, rollercoaster or not. Admittedly Star Wars is kind of responsible for this because a lot of these movies are aping the Star Wars formula, but even ANH, the most simplistic of the saga has more to it than just being rollercoaster ride, which is why you can still just pop it in on a small screen almost any time. At least that's my opinion. It's like how horror movies today rely so much on jump scares instead of creating an atmosphere that gives some sense genuine terror. There's movies that tickle one's emotions, and there's movies that are just vulgar with no real substance and hide this by generating cheap emotional highs.

I wonder if TFA has the power to be remembered as anything more than just another action flick.
>>
>>64050706
If I was the only person to see it still would've sucked.
>>
It was an okay Avengers action flick but it wasn't a Star Wars space opera film.
>>
>>64054009
>oh no giant space station is slaughtering people
>2 minutes later, Luke merrily blows up the station, killing millions
>>
File: Untitle.png (189 KB, 751x374) Image search: [Google]
Untitle.png
189 KB, 751x374
>>64050706
YES !!
>>
>>64054319
An insecure, ancestor worshiping bad guy whose tough outward demeanor is meant to make up for an inherent sense of weakness is more interesting than a tall guy in a black suit with a deep voice. A character is more interesting than an image.
>>
>>64054527
Of course. So if you came across plans for a planet killer, you would halt the fucking senate. Itd also make more sense for a republic fleet to be scattered to their home worlds until needed, like naboos space force. No need to have every military assest all as one target. Nobodys ever done that before because its stupid.
>>
>>64051494
It was kinda obvious it was going to be this, what, with the whole Disney J.J Abrams thing in the fucking first place.
>>
>>64054650
It wasn't a single target, it was an entire star system.
>>
>>64054635
Vader wasn't an image, he was a presence. In every scene he was in, he dominated it. Kylo has no screen presence, he's just a generic angsty evil tosser with poor writing.

Sometimes less is more, but I wouldn't expect JJ Abrams fans to appreciate that.
>>
>>64048838
Damn you guys a desperate.
>>
>>64054730
It was still all in one system, aka a single target for starkiller
>>
>>64054555
The problem is that TPM tried to tap in to that crowd enthusiasm and court that reaction but failed miserably. It's not a serious, contemplative drama. TFA just does a better job at accomplishing what it set out to do.
>>
>>64054772
Kylo has a presence but it is inconsistent because of his character. At the beginning when he stopped the blaster bolt he was definitely intimidating, but that is the point of his character.
>>
Darth teleports behind you lmao two saber Maul was a better villain than Linken Ren.
>>
>>64054772
>why isn't my villain a badass!
Stop living in the 20th century; modern villains are school shooters.
>>
itt: people seriously overanalyzing a space opera
>>
>>64054890
>a literal toy is better

fuck off 9 year old
>>
>>64052410
It was headache inducing non-stop action shit. The first prequel was sleep-inducing slow shit. Action non-sense is far more enjoyable to retards and small children than boring nonsense, even though both are equally terrible.
>>
>>64054900
Why can't he be the other imaginary modern evil, a muslim religious fanatic?
It's supposed to be a fantasy series.

>>64054926
Cape Wars isn't a space opera.
>>
>>64054830
They didn't know about Starkiller. In a universe with planet-destroying devices, every planet has potential of being victimized.
>>
>>64054870
And like I said, it doesn't matter if that's the point of his character. That doesn't stop his character from being fucking shitty and boring.

>>64054900
Don't really care if the villain is a total badass or not. The issue is the execution, he could be just as big of an incompetent jackass as he already is but be better written.
>>
>>64054926
If it was a spesh operah we wouldnt be analyzing, we would be ecstatic. Instead we got a generic action film
>>
>>64051940
>its a bad SW movie

>one of the biggest pros in critical reviews is that it feels like Star Wars, where the prequels did not
>>
>>64054981
But they had the plans
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 303x167) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 303x167
You're so full of shit. And I'm not even a Star Wars fanboy. Obviously the PT was shit. But the OT wasn't all that great. Especially Star Wars (Ep IV), it's just... kind of shitty. Bad pacing, bad script, uninspired acting except for Ford and Kushing and Guiness.

Yeah, so VII isn't high art. Who cares. As far as popcorn munching adventure, it's fucking stellar. I couldn't have edited all that any better. I'm sick and tired of fucking neckbeards clamoring for a 3 hour cut. Give me a break.
>>
>>64054968
Damn straight, I loved TR-8R too, and the silver Stormtrooper, but she didn't even get a fucking fight.
There wasn't nearly enough action figures in Space Disney 1.
Worse, there was barely any ships.
I bet LEGO will be disappointed.
>>
>>64054115
he beats the nig nog easy
but marysue who is apptrnly god incarnated is already a good fighter
>>
>>64051494
>▶
Severely autistic or troll. Or both.
>>
>>64054855
>The problem is that TPM tried to tap in to that crowd enthusiasm and court that reaction but failed miserably.

I think it was sold that way, but I don't think that's the kind of film Lucas really set out to make.
>>
>>64055007
>but be better written.
This is absurd. In a series with completely pastiche villains the notion that Kylo Ren is somehow especially poorly written is ridiculous.
>>
>>64054855
Making a fuck-ton of money for Disney, making action shlock for mouth-breathers and small children.
>>
>>64055116
yeah, he set out to make a toy advert like the greedy kike he is

hes more jewish than the actual one
>>
>>64055116
>but I don't think that's the kind of film Lucas really set out to make.
Of course it is. Watch Anakin blowing up the Trade Federation's doughnut ship and Jar Jar Binks stepping on shit. Lucas wanted people to laugh and cheer.
>>
>>64055091
https://youtu.be/xPZigWFyK2o
All these ships, just completely MIA. LEGO isnt the only one pissed. Better scene than any in TFA to boot
>>
>>64055195
TFA was one of the Star Wars with good writing, only a coma victim or a child would enjoy the prequels>>64055218
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (62 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
62 KB, 1920x1080
>>64055115
If thats Autism, I don't want to be normal.
>>
>>64055063
What the Republic had and knew before they were blown up is vague. Also, millions of people live in cities that are targets for nuclear bombs. It doesn't strike me as weird.
>>
>>64055224
except people cheered and laughed at TFA, because it was a well crafted film

TPM was a failure
>>
>>64055260
Good writing that completely ignores the SW universe its set in?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.