[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>/tv/ shits all over the prequels for years >The Force
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 6
File: cigtrooper.jpg (65 KB, 550x364) Image search: [Google]
cigtrooper.jpg
65 KB, 550x364
>/tv/ shits all over the prequels for years
>The Force Awakens comes out
>fucking dominates the box office and garners rave reviews
>suddenly the prequel trilogy is full of "heart" and "soul" in comparisonson to TFA

The hypocrisy on this board is hysterical.
>>
>>64043441
Uh oh someone got called reddit in another thread and decided to shitpost ANOTHER SW thread

The redditor is immunized against all dangers: one may call him a liberal, memer, SJW, faggot, it all runs off him like water off a raincoat. But call him reddit and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: “I’ve been found out.”
>>
TFA has a treasure hunt for Luke. Thats all it needs to be the worst SW movie yet, below even the ewok kids movies.
>>
You dont see that TFA lacks originality and that Star Wars "feel"? It's a good movie but not a very gold Star Wars one and the prequels are still shit, anyone that puts VII over I or II is just memeing.
>>
Disney shills love to make new threads when they get BTFO in other threads. Like clockwork. Your capeshit SW movie is shit. Move on.
>>
4chans whole deal is being contrary no one should be surprised by this
>>
OP, why did you make another thread after you got BTFO in the previous one?
>>64043071

Your trash movie is rightfully being called out as trash.
>>
>>64043441
Its 2015 and you havent figured out /tv/ yet???
>>
>>64043529
>"I hate sand"
>green screen, green screen and more green screen
>complete lack of chemistry between the two main leads
>idiotic lightsaber fights
>complete waste of Christopher Lee
>CGI out the ass

Attack Of The Clones is the absolute worst Star Wars film, it's unwatchable garbage. The Force Awakens might not be original but my god it was more interesting than that piece of shit.
>>
That's because we didn't have TFA to compare and contrast with, OP. You fucking gimboid.

The prequels are still shit, but now we can appreciate that they tried something new, instead of just rehashing with added mary sue.
>>
>>64043441
>34 year old males made up for the majority of audience
>for a children movie
Jesus christ
how can you even defend that
>>
>/tv/ is one person
>but I'm different and better than you all!

Fuck off back to plebbit
>>
>>64043441
Most of people here argue for sake of arguing. You don't think we're serious, do you?
>>
>>64043639
>34 year old males made up for the majority of audience
>I don't understand averages
>>
>>64043529

What the fuck? 1 and 2 are the SW movies that TFA is definitely ahead of.
>>
>>64043639
You don't understand statistics that's how. 34 was the average age in the opening day, that doesn't mean most people who watched it were 34 you retarded piece of shit.
>>
>>64043579
The redditor is immunized against all dangers: one may call him a liberal, memer, SJW, faggot, it all runs off him like water off a raincoat. But call him reddit and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: “I’ve been found out.”
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 578x398) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 578x398
>>64043464
>i say I hate reddit so I look cool on this board

>i dont wanna be seen liking reddit on here or virgins will make fun of me

Hey reddit!
>>
>>64043596
>being this triggered that OP pointed out how fucking autistic you and this board is

Yea ur a faggot. Back to le reddit with you to talk about how great the prequels are
>>
Since TFA came out this became a fucking war zone, I love it
>>
Original autistic train wreck > uninspired fan service any day of the week pal
>>
>>64043726
Hahaha calm down. Not everyone is gonna have opinions that you enjoy reading here. This is not your r/starwars.
>>
>>64043719
>>64043594
>>64043529
Goddamit i meant to say anyone that puts I or II over TFA is memeing, christ
>>
>>64043788
Why are you this mad? Can't deal with people disagreeing with you?
>>
File: 1270547926312.jpg (37 KB, 370x300) Image search: [Google]
1270547926312.jpg
37 KB, 370x300
>>64043441
it's just a meme you butthurt redditor fuck off
>>
>>64043852
Because youre literally a contrarian faggot. You and 80% of /tv/ is this hipster hive mind. No original thoughts on here just rehashes of others opinions. I wanna fight you irl so bad. I wanna punch your head clean off your shoulders
>>
>>64043852
>you just called me a redditor because you le disagree xD

Retard.
>>
>>64043441
Who cares? TFA was a piss poor rip off movie.
>>
>>64043836
>Only redditors understand math
Sorry m8 I didn't realize you were a literal retard, I went to far considering your disability
>>
File: Poetry in Motion.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Poetry in Motion.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>64043441

I think its just a bunch of memers trying to force this meme "the prequels were great" or just a bunch of 20+ yr old faggots that saw the prequel as a child and basically nostalgia faggots over it.

The prequels were terrible. It was shit. It ruined Star Wars lore. Fuck you to anyone that thinks they were great
>>
>>64044309
> ruined star wars lore

Like TFA?
>>
>>64044309
I think the nostalgia argument is kind of invalid. Didn't the third installment receive positive reviews and a 7.7 on IMDb? I mean surely it cant be much worse than TFA.
>>
Its only hypocrisy if you forget 4chan's only bias is for whatever gets the most attention.

So, repubs evil with a repub president. Dems evil with a dem president. Prequels bad when they were (moderately) successful, prequels great when a new star wars movie is about to make more than the entire prequel trilogy combined.

BECAUSE SAYING THINGS YOU KNOW PEOPLE WILL AGREE WITH DOES NOT GET PEOPLE TO GIVE YOU ATTENTION

If the idea that 4chan, a site designed from the ground up to make attention whoring as hard has possible, is, today, nothing more than a contest to see what can get the most attention deeply confuses and frightens you, fear not, for it simply means you are still sane.
>>
>>64043594
The last 30 minutes of episode 2 were better than anything in tfa
>>
>>64044619
>clones fighting robots
>yoda is angry crazy monkey
fuck you
>>
>>64044619
>he likes action yoda
>>
>>64044619
If you actively hate Star Wars sure
>>
What you don't understand is 4chan and especially /tv/ is full of pathetic losers who will do anything for attention

If you notice, any meme or thread that gets guaranteed replies is spammed endlessly for months or years. That is because replies to a thread makes the op feel like real people are talking to him and giving him attention.

>inb4 "projecting"
>>
>>64044043
Wew looks like someone's been triggered. Better retreat to your safe space, darling
>>
exact same shit happen with GTA IV and GTA V on /v/

and also liberalism and conservatism on /pol/
>>
>>64044664
>>64044677
I liked it more than African with a lightsaber
>>
File: 1382814495084.gif (2 MB, 402x335) Image search: [Google]
1382814495084.gif
2 MB, 402x335
>>64043441

>suddenly the prequel trilogy is full of "heart" and "soul" in comparisonson to TFA

the millennials decided to be angry about something. again.
>>
>>64043441
They are right tho.
TFA is good but is just a good product there is no soul or anything else.
You could say the same about the prequels but at least they were full of George's autism.
>>
>>64044698
>and also liberalism and conservatism on /pol/
found the newshit redditor
>>
>>64044669
Fuck you, it was amazing after so many years to finally see Yoda whip out that little light saber of his and go to town, that one scene was better than anything in TFA.
>>
>>64043441

/tv/ is full of goddamn contrarians who hate anything the moment it becomes popular. Guardians of The Galaxy, Jurassic World, various Marvel movies...people were making megathreads and talking about their love for these movies until they realised that Reddit loved them too, so they began hating them.

For a board comprised of people who largely claim to hate Reddit, it really does shape the opinions of almost everyone here.
>>
>>64044785
you've only been here for 4 years haven't you?
>>
>>64044718
are you comparing it to RotS or TFA?
>>
>>64043441
have you seen TFA you retard
it is the most manufactured disney shit ever
WHY copy ANH this bad and still fail
the pace is bad
the main character is an overpowered vagina who don't need no man
>>
>>64044550
Many people like popular movies here. You are just a tourist mad because people wont partake of your consumerism habit.

TFA is a mediocre underperformer attempt at ressusciting an once iconic brand to sell toys, and will be treated as such.

If you are mad, go back to reddit.
>>
>>64044798
this post is literally reddit
>>
>>64044718
>than African with a lightsaber
Thanks for confirming that the only people who defend Ep II never actually watched Ep II
>>
>>64043594
You are correct.
Attack of the Clones is the worst Star Wars film of all time.
But it is a Star Wars film.

The Force Awakens is an extremely high budget knock off with massively different ideas of how to establish locations, how to work the camera, and generally what kind of an atmosphere to create, with its complete and utter lack of establishing sequences.

It's a random action movie that looks like Star Wars.

The prequels are really shitty Star Wars movies that look like video games.
>>
>>64044406

I and II were so inhumanly awful that everyone lauded III just because it was watchable
>>
>>64044830
*resurrecting
lol
>>
>>64043441
But it's getting shitty / mediocre reviews.
>>
File: 1450790526892.png (113 KB, 356x350) Image search: [Google]
1450790526892.png
113 KB, 356x350
>>64043441
I will keep saying this for as long as it takes to sink in. When EP 1 2 & 3 came out most people here were children, they couldn't see the flaws in it then and have fond childhood memories that only begin to gloss over these horrible films now that they have something new to compare it to.

They are feeling the same disappointed that a generation before them felt when they say the phantom menace.

Whenever this happens fans of the old will always be dissatisfied with the new stuff because of the investment they felt in it.

There are flaws in TFA but it is by far a better film than EP1
>>
>>64045227

I was 9 when episode 1 came out and I could tell it was a piece of shit just fine.
>>
It's all a meme, everyone knows the prequels were lacking in quality. However TFA is still bad and bashing the prequels won't change that
>>
>>64045283
Sure you could junior.
>>
>>64044787
Thanks for proving to us how much of a fuckwit retard you are that has no grasp of the true heart and feel of Star Wars. Go sit down in from of the tv kid, suck on your thumb and laugh at the funny Jar Jar
>>
>>64045227

I saw Ep 1 when I was around 14 or 15. My mom was a huge Star Wars fan and I grew up watching Star Wars late at night fascinated with the story and the lore. I've read a few EU here and there but I'm not really that attached to them except Dark Empire (which I loved Luke wearing Vader's armour suits him fine) and Thrawn.

So, gameday, opening for Ep 1. really really excited to see it. pretty disappointed after ep 1 since it was really ass. It was ass then, its still ass now and it will still be ass in the future.
>>
>>64045380

>being so stupid that you weren't capable of finding episode one boring as a kid

I'm so sorry
>>
>>64043441
TFA just feels so dumbed down, it makes the prequels seem good. Honestly, nobody with an ounce of intelligence can deny the contrived nature of the script. It's watered down Disney bullshit, artificially designed to please casual zombie moviegoers.

The whole thing just feels fake and superficial. The cheap jokes. The forced plot devices that defy logic. Example: Han Solo suddenly deciding to use Chewbaccas Bowcaster after what.. 40 years of fighting together? Are we really suppose to believe that? Sure.. If you're fucking brain-dead.

But of course, it appeals to the mainstream. It's flashy, it's nice looking and it spoon-feeds the zombies the light-hearted, one-dimensional entertainment they desire.
>>
>>64045227
TFA actively shits on almost every well established concept in the star wars universe. It may have better acting and cgi, but it is a much worse SW movie than any before
>>
>>64043441

I liked TFA and still hate the prequels. /tv/ isn't one person.
>>
>>64044952

Movies are shot differently today than they were in the 1970's. If you dwell too much on any one shot people get bored. Also the cinematography has changed. Where the camera used to not move much now it has to. But the feel of it is there. It's in the characters.
>>
>>64045448
>TFA actively shits on almost every well established concept in the star wars universe.

Care to list some? A statement like that is meaningless without a wealth of examples.
>>
>>64045441
Funny how those that criticise TFA always pick on the smallest details.

>ARE YOU HONESTLY TELLING ME HAN NEVER USED THAT CROSSBOW AFTER ALL THIS TIME, THIS MOVIE IS SHIT

Why is that a criticism? It's just a fucking excuse for contrarians to rag on the next most popular thing.

/tv/ never change
>>
>>64045479

Asking a poster on 4chan to back up their argument with facts? You must be new here.
>>
>>64043441
>>suddenly the prequel trilogy is full of "heart" and "soul" in comparisonson to TFA
no one is saying this. Just Autists who were always prequel apologists
>>
>>64045465
Don't know man.
To me, everything that made Star Wars Star Wars was about how it was shot, and I honestly don't give a shit if people have ADD and can't be bothered to pay attention to the movie they came in to watch, without five stormtroopers running across the screen for no other reason than to have motion.
It doesn't feel like Star Wars.
It feels like an adventure movie, and that's it. That's as far as you can go with having good characters.
>>
>>64045512
It's amazing how you defend this terrible, lazy writing.
>>
>>64044952
>with its complete and utter lack of establishing sequences.
here we go criticizing the movie for things it didn't do...
>>
>>64045448
>its a good x but not a good y therefore it's shit
genre kiddies everyone
Star Wars lore never mattered
>>
>>64045608
To you
>>
>>64045512
It was a single example. It's one of many in the film, but I'm hardly going to go through the entire movie, scene by fucking scene.

TFA is literally filled with moments like that. If you aren't smart enough to spot them for yourself, then that's your own problem. That ignorance must be blissful though.
>>
>>64045608
>>64045576
Question:
If making it be like Star Wars, and make it fit in with the rest is not a priority, why the hell call it Star Wars to begin with?

You have a nice little action movie that's going to be remembered for having some nice effects. Be happy about it, if that's all you want.
But don't try and prove it's a worthy sequel, by stating that it didn't need to be a worthy sequel.
>>
>>64045630
if it mattered to you then you are so dumb that you're bad at something as easy as watching movies. How does it feel to be that childish?
>wahh the Force doesn't work like that
haha
The Force only mattered because of how it played into the drama and characters. It does the same in TFA but differently. Quit whining and realize that Star Wars is just ONE set of movies among thousands which are mostly better than it
>>
>>64045479
Hyperdrive from a hangar
Hyperdrive into shield
Reys force powers
Treasure map for Luke aka "we dont have enough info" with an 8th of the galaxy and an endpoint in hand
Spaceships... fuck being stuck with just fighters and x wings, especially when fighters make no sense with interceptors coming into play heavily by rotj.
An entire galaxy now has all its resources in one system
The premise of the resistance as a whole is inane
Darth emos lightsaber

etc
>>
>>64043441
it's just cuz TFA provided such a contrast and it's easy to compare it to the prequels

I mean the sequels are obviously really flawed, but at least they fucking tried to do something different and interesting instead of sitting deep inside the manilla Disney cash-grab comfort zone of bland, inoffensive characters and a predicable, extremely formulaic plot. The new movie is 100% a corporate, soul-less Disney vehicle designed primarily to sell more Star Wars Lego sets, and while I didn't think it was a horrible movie, just very average, people acting like it's some daring new take on Star Wars makes me actively hate it.
>>
>>64044787
>quoting george
underrated post
>>
>>64045734
My favorite is that hyper space = instant transmission now.

There was still travel time before. Now, not so much.
>>
>>64045839
This. It made the movie feel like it took place within a single day.
>>
>>64045761
>inoffensive characters
People here were having fits over Finn. Kylo in general is probably one of the most controversial Star Wars characters
>>
>>64045839
JJ is a hack who cant into scale at all.
>>
>>64045734
>Hyperdrive from a hangar
>Hyperdrive into shield
Hyperspace was always magic. Getting buttflustered over magic rules is for autists and children
>Reys force powers
only thing bad about them is that they just copied the previous movies without deviation in this reagard. They didn't ruin anything.
>Treasure map for Luke
It's a macguffin just like the plans for the Death Star were in the first movie. Literally a 1:1 transfer of storytelling devices. Not ruined
>Spaceships... fuck being stuck with just fighters and x wings
The resistance was obviously underfunded and much smaller than the Rebellion. All they had were X-wings. This doesn't even matter one bit apart from
>wahh they didn't do the fanservice that I wanted!
grow up, Star Wars ships are toys you played with as a child
>An entire galaxy now has all its resources in one system
you mean the government structure was in one location?
>What is Coruscant
please
>The premise of the resistance as a whole is inane
The premise of the Rebellion is inane
>Darth emos lightsaber
Darth Mauls Lightsaber, Count Dookus Lightsaber, Yoda's lightsaber...
>Autism and childish bullshit
I'm glad you didn't like it and I'm glad that Star Wars is for girls now
>>
I was blind but now I see.

The soulless travesty that was TFA opened my eyes to the unsung glory of the prequels.
>>
>>64045839
Travel time would imply the characters actually sitting down and talking about themselves, instead of just deciding on the next thing they should do and spewing mandatory exposition in case of characters explicitly put in for the mandatory exposition, like Maz.

It's funny really. If you watch the movie again, you can very clearly sparate characters into two groups: Characters that only speak in order to give exposition on the world, and characters who only speak to establish what's going to happen next. There are the occaisonal one liners here and there, but it's about that straight forward.
>>
>>64045688
Yeah it's not bad desu, I can actually go to the cinema and enjoy movies. I actually have my own opinions instead of conforming to the /tv/ hivemind.

So fuck it, keep being a contrarian m8, keep seeing every big release or new property or new adaptation as shit and I'm just going to sit back and enjoy a simple space adventure film.

Have a good night fella, I hope you enjoy watching cinema through those shit stained glasses
>>
>>64045921
The treasure map is flawed because the galaxy has to be mapped for hyperspace travel. This is pointed out by han in the very first film. Now we just flick a switch, and apparently cant find a planet even with a huge chunk of the galaxy surrounding it because maps dont exist. Its a shit mcguffin used soley so its not death star plans, but at least they made sense. A fucking map to luke does not. All you need is a planets name, not a fucking treasure map god damnit.
>>
>>64045950
Not sure if I agree with that assessment regarding all characters, but that stupid bar owning old woman and Snoke fit that bill perfectly. God they were shitty. Worst part is that the worse scenes in the movie all follow one after the other
>Snoke declaring in exposition that Kylo is Han Solo's son
>Alien monster scene aboard Han's smuggling vessel
>Cantina bullshit
solid 25 minutes of the movie were complete trash
>>
>>64045839
>>64045893
>>64045912
>>64045950

The problem was they tried to hard to introduce every element and character that will be in play for the trilogy. The movie got cluttered. They didn't really need to have Snoke appear, for example. If they cut down on stuff like that I think the movie would have had more breathing room to have characters sit back and talk to each other and give a sense of time passing and scale to everything, as well as being able to better develop things like Rey's force abilities.

Like imagine if they had the time to show Rey using the Force intuitively without realizing it? Show her influence people, predict small things (like doing a maneuver in a ship that would get her killed except she somehow "knew" it would work)... stuff like that. So you could see that she's attuned to the Force and taps into it subconsciously. Then toward the end when she figures out there's a source for these things from Kylo she might be more believable in figuring out how to actively harness or tap into it.
>>
>>64043441
I always liked the Prequals. VII is shit. What now?
>>
>>64044849
Mace windu was a well written. Character played by a good actor
>>
Could it be possible that they just never should have made more mainline Star Wars movies?

In a world where the only driving factor for a company would be artistic merit and profit somehow didn't exist, should they have ever made more?
>>
>>64043441
>confusing memes with real life

a dangerous game you play
>>
>>64046024
Well, maybe the way I said it is a bit too final but really, let's go through the characters:

Han: What does he say beyond the fact that he is a smuggler and once owned the Millenium Falcon?
Poe: Does he say anything about himself or anything else, beyond that he's a pilot with the Resistance?
Finn: He establishes that the First Order is bad. And?
C-3PO: Literally only there to explain R2.
Leia: Literally only there to give a little context on Kylo and Han.
Maz and Snoke you already said.
Kylo has a little bit more variety, but in the end, he too is really just there to set things up about Snoke, and his future arc.
Hux: Literally there to establish the First Order's take one everyone and everything.
Not Boba Fett: Turns off shield.

Basically what I'm trying to say, is that there is no Leia or Obi-Wan in this movie. Characters who would both serve to establish something about the way the universe functions, but also plan.
It feels like they wrote a script, in which the characters went through the story, and then insterted in extra scenes with new characters who gave some exposition.

>>64046180
This would have been great, but it was quite obvious Disney didn't want this, when they hired J.J. Abrams. Can't remember a movie he made where things would actually be set up in calm, showing manner like you describe.
Rian might be able to do it, and I hope he does, but I don't think that even with the rigth script J.J. would have known how to shoot these kinds of scenes.
>>
>>64046312

No, 6 was enough.

Or hell, don't be retarded and try to mess with the canon of the OT by dragging the old characters into the new story.
>>
>>64043441
The Force Awakens is just an okay remake of Episode 4.

My problem with the movie is that it seemed to mindlessly add powers that made no sense.

>Anakin's lightsaber is randomly Excalibur

>Mind tricks can be learned in a couple of minutes

>A trained force user that draws power from pain and anger, is overpowered by someone who had never held a lightsaber before just because they think, 'whoa, the force.'
>>
>>64046002
Again, I'm happy for you. Also, denying that other people can have a differing opinion to that of your own? Great.

That lack of free thinking must really take a load off your mind. I mean they could literally show you paint drying, and you'd obviously enjoy it.
>>
>Suddenly

Spotted the newfags.
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.