[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oh ok so after years of bashing george lucas making memes about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: Attack-of-the-Clones-Poster.jpg (230 KB, 1129x1500) Image search: [Google]
Attack-of-the-Clones-Poster.jpg
230 KB, 1129x1500
Oh ok so after years of bashing george lucas making memes about the prequels making fun of him suddenly the prequels are now good fuck off /tv/ literally the biggest faggots ever when it comes to doing shit like this cause now TFA is out and popular and the prequels aren't suddenly they're "good" just fuck off this board is full of retards.
>>
>>64041617

TFA made people appreciate the prequels because TFA is fucking shit and at least the prequels have heart and at least Lucas was trying something different with them while keeping as much of the Star Wars feel as he could.

Even anons who dislike the prequels admit they're better than TFA.

Go back to touching yourself to RLM's shitty reviews on reddit if you have a problem with that.
>>
>>64041617
Hey, retards is an offensive word! And The Force Awakens is bad. You're a fucking retard if you thought any of it was good besides Han dying and Kylo's tantrums
>>
>>64041703
I love phantom of the menance the others eh I wish they were more like phantom but thats another story and as for RLM I don't find them funny or like their reviews in the slightest so your reddit insult just doesn't work.
>>
nah they are both shit for their own reasons

the prequels were totally unnecessary in the first place and only served to flesh out things that were better left to the imagination

TFA is fan fiction tier garbage by a retarded C-grade action film director
>>
>>64041755

Then why are you complaining that opinions on the board are shifting more to your liking?

btw, there were always threads saying the prequels weren't as bad as haters said they were.
>>
>>64041703
This.

TFA is nothing more than JJ making a hundred million dollar fanfic movie. It lacks creativity, originality, and worst of all: the mediocre acting and uninspired characters make the viewer lose any interest in anything that happens to them.
>>
>>64041813
which are being reposted aggressively now because TFA is a huge big tittied hit.
>>
>>64041703
>at least the prequels have heart
the cgi and characters seem pretty soulless to me

>at least Lucas was trying something different

Different as opposed to good.

TFA changes nothing. you can only delude yourself by pretending it makes the prequels semi-passable by comparison which is both hilarious and pathetic.
>>
I have always liked the prequels. Star Wars movies are cheesy, and people seem to think the originals are impervious to that criticism.
>>
>>64041617

>Oh ok so after years of bashing george lucas making memes about the prequels making fun of him suddenly the prequels are now good

No OP just episode one
>>
The original trilogy is like the new testament.

The prequel trilogy is like the old testament.

Each one had its different style and voice, the sequel trilogy doesn't seem to want to have its own voice and as such just becomes a redundant new age cash grab book.
>>
>>64042240
considering someone is maintaining a thread for every prequel, trying to claim that prequel is better than the others...

Yea, this is just bait.
>>
>>64042208

Idk why people think that something is soulless because it's CG. Lucas clearly thought that the technology would allow him to create totally new worlds and alien races that he couldn't before. He obviously poured his heart and soul into characters like Grevous and scenes like the Geonosis battle.
>>
most contrarian board on 4chan hands down the prequels are objectively viewed as garbage by anyone that isn't a pleb or under 12
>>
>>64042237

This. I watched Jedi the other day and the scene where Luke meets Vader on Endor is really awkward and stiff. I mean it doesn't get as bad as the sand scene in Clones but the originals had their fair share of awkward acting and stupid dialogue. For fucks sake Alec Guiness asked that his character be killed because he thought the dialogue was so bad.
>>
>>64042329
Its not souless because its CGI, its soulless because lucas doesn't know how to film or design things in such a way that gives them soul.
>>
>>64042329
Because you can take the best actor in the world but it wouldn't make a difference if you have them acting with a fucking blue wall. Acting is a dialogue not speaking to an emotionless wall.
>>
>>64042355

Sith has a 79% on Rotten tomatoes and even Clones has a 66%, so the hatred is clearly not as universal as you think.
>>
>>64041703
> Even anions who dislike the prequels admit they're better than TFA.
no actually TFA was way better than any of the prequels.
>>
>>64042402

Some how Elijah Wood managed to act opposite a little man in a green suit crawling around in the floor and saying "Stupid fat hobbitses!"
>>
>>64042208
>the cgi and characters seem pretty soulless to me

A lot of the CGI still looks good even today compared to many other films and you have to be an autist or just forcing yourself to feel the way you do because "I'm supposed to hate the prequels, I'm supposed to hate the prequels, I'm supposed to hate the prequels."

There's nothing soulless about CGI. CGI is no better or worse than practical effects. Lucas used the CGI in order to create settings and characters he never could during the filming of the original movies. There may have been some places where he went overboard, but I'd rather someone go overboard than underboard. And it doesn't change the fact that Lucas and his design department used not just CGI, but also practical effects, particularly minitatures and live sets, as well to craft unique worlds and ideas.

>TFA changes nothing.

Of course it doesn't, because the prequels were always good.
>>
>>64041703
TFA is largely considered to be a good movie by the general public.
>>
File: 1439831938307.jpg (37 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
1439831938307.jpg
37 KB, 400x386
>TFA is a soulless cashgrab
>The Prequels weren't
>Return of the Jedi wasn't

Seriously /tv/ grow up for fucks sake
>>
>>64042548

>A movie that is pandering to plebs is loved by the plebs

color me shocked
>>
Episode I has always been one of my fav SW movies, after TESB.

Midichlorians etc are stupid, but I was 9 years old when we went to the cinema. Nostalgia? Maybe. But Qui Gon vs. Darth Maul, a young and reckless Obi Wan and dem podracers
>>
File: 1450493878871.png (90 KB, 271x296) Image search: [Google]
1450493878871.png
90 KB, 271x296
I respect the prequels far more than TFA.

They were pretty bad, but TFA is a cowardly piece of work. Imagine having the worlds attention and the vast possibilities for story telling with a fleshed out universe at your disposal.

Only to lay waste to any chance of something remarkable. To sum up, any cunt could have written TFA.

Any cunt.
>>
>>64042329
Grevous, really? His character hinged on the fact that he was constantly killing jedi which is where all those lightsabers came from. he then proceeds to not kill any jedi on-screen then suck and die like a dumb cunt.

The CGI allowed lucas to keep the screens dense and become so absorbed in how dense everything is including himself, that's it.
Literally no one needs 8 hours of a living relic masturbating to CGI. the fact that shit like this can pretend it's a movie at all is baffling.
>>
>>64041703
>tfw this actually might not be bait
>>
whats' bad about the prequels is that they dont introduce nothing particularly new in the saga. We already know Anakin will be evil, the republic will fall, palpatine was the bad guy all along, and everyone will die since they are not in the Original trilogy.
Lucas only cared about carefully explaining everything in details, instead of telling us a story.
Midichlorians, politics and the intrigues,

The prequels are movies with no past or future story-wise, built in a time bobble made of poor dialogues and CGI
>>
>>64042726
Any computer program could have come up with that plot/characters/settings/etc., if you input the OT scripts into it.
>>
>>64042734

>Grevous, really?

In terms of design, the Grievous character has a lot of effort and attention

>Literally no one needs 8 hours of a living relic masturbating to CGI. the fact that shit like this can pretend it's a movie at all is baffling.

There was never anything wrong with CGI. The prequels stand out among other CGI heavy films precisely because their use of CGI is much more creative. And for every CGI character, there's one with actual makeup and costume.
>>
>the prequels were creative
>>
Weakest trilogy in the saga
Recently rewatched RotS, it was pretty shit. Seriously you go from that opening, to nearly 40 minutes on Coruscant with crap all plot advancement. Sure it had memorable scenes but even they couldn't save this train wreck.
>>
>>64042785
>Lucas only cared about carefully explaining everything in details, instead of telling us a story.

He did both. Meanwhile Abrams sold you the same story you saw before with a new layer of paint.
>>
File: FJ0Hfys.jpg (138 KB, 838x638) Image search: [Google]
FJ0Hfys.jpg
138 KB, 838x638
Desperate virgins dislike TFA because it has a female protagonist and a handsome black man as the male lead

Color me surprised

I think that's your mother calling you up for dinner
>>
>>64042895
But it's shinny paint!

SHINNY!!!
>>
File: critic.jpg (22 KB, 300x279) Image search: [Google]
critic.jpg
22 KB, 300x279
>>64042862
When it comes to visualizing fantasy landscapes in a matter-of-fact way, few rivals can touch him, and his knack for balancing menace, mayhem, slapstick and sentiment within a single sequence rivals Hitchcock, Spielberg and Kurosawa. Yet his set pieces often do little to advance his stories and themes. (Consider the pod race in The Phantom Menace—one of the most intricately imagined action scenes ever filmed, yet barely relevant to the plot; for that matter, consider Sith's opening starship battle, which seems to go on for days.) With actors, he's King Midas in reverse, and his dialogue ranges from competent to cruddy. The mix of A+ technique and C- dramaturgy is nearly unique in American cinema; Lucas is the directorial equivalent of a prophesied sci-fi man-child who can levitate whole cities but can't master a knife and fork. Sith is an infuriating, electrifying movie—a savant's masterpiece.
>>
>>64041703
This senpai. Jew Jew sucks and Disney is a soulless exploitative corporations.
>>
>>64042793
if someone told me TFA was A new hope re-mastered and I didn't know better, I'd believe them.

It's beyond being a homage, it's a flat out rehash and it makes me sick.

I can handle the prequels being shit, but at-least they are discernible from the originals.
>>
>>64042939
that wasn't armond you doofus, that was from Seitz
>>
>>64042916
>handsome black man
>handsome
he's black but he ain't handsome

have you seen his body? he looks like a pear. No one unironically finds him "handsome"
>>
File: 1410558831187.jpg (50 KB, 742x720) Image search: [Google]
1410558831187.jpg
50 KB, 742x720
>>64042916
And tasteless normies like TFA because it's racemixing propaganda they must like lest they will think themselves racists.

Color me surprised.

I think that's your Jamal calling you up for cocksucking.
>>
What could one say about the prequels that hasn't been said over and over again? They are utter trash. Accepting this is part of becoming a man.
>>
The prequels were awful but they weren't derivative. George took a risk and it didn't work out. TFA was the safest Star Wars sequel imaginable.
>>
>>64041703
this actually
>>
File: tumblr_inline_niiamgxftd1rnnsez.png (117 KB, 372x351) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_niiamgxftd1rnnsez.png
117 KB, 372x351
>>64042995
Whats the matter virgin did the girls not understand you in highschool?

It's ok your fellow /pol/ basement dwellers will make you feel at home
>>
>>64042916
No. Daisy was fine with what she was given. Boyega was really good.

The problem is that Rey and Finn are weridly written. Finn has the background of Kurt Russell in Soldier, but act with the personality of Eddie Murphy. This is just weird. Rey goes from well written character, but discard that for POWER MODE: JEDI EDITION. Instead of using her smarts and ruse from her background, she just does things normally, but better than everyone else in the important scenes.
>>
>>64043061
>Finn has the background of Kurt Russell in Soldier, but act with the personality of Eddie Murphy.
Also he's really ugly
>>
File: 12232009_armondchristmas.jpg (21 KB, 310x229) Image search: [Google]
12232009_armondchristmas.jpg
21 KB, 310x229
After the unfair drubbing Lucas took for the magisterial if leaden The Phantom Menace, I'd like to see him keep his imaginative promise. And I don't mean bringing back Kermit's cousin Yoda. ("Begun, the clone war has," Yoda burps.) But perhaps because the production of Clones has been complicated by techie infatuation with digital-video photography and projection, Lucas has not fulfilled his story's great potential.

Maybe he's afraid of it. Having pandered to the kiddie audience like the rest of Hollywood, Lucas seems to have lost the courage to educate it, as Anakin must also be educated morally. I'm not talking about cheerleading the digital-video change-over?that's a delusion that only seems progressive. No one who sees Attack of the Clones can seriously say it looks as good as the sharp, wide vistas, subtle colors and forward-thrusting perspectives of The Phantom Menace?all courtesy of the sharpness of film. Fools will mistake Clones' various f/x for the triumph of digital video, but this very different, cartoony video imagery is not the gateway to a new cinema or an advanced way of seeing, but merely an intro to?and accommodation of?the industry's forthcoming soft-image technology. It lacks saturated colors and deep darkness. Lucas got so hung up in smoothing cinema's transition into lowest-common-denominator television that he failed to supply Clones with the crucial heroic dimensions.

(1/3)
>>
File: 1449200356180.png (238 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1449200356180.png
238 KB, 400x400
>>64042916
The characters were shit.

BB8, a ball that makes non lingual noises, stole every scene, what does that fucking tell you?

Han solo was good and Finn was somewhat interesting, Rey was fucking awful and Rylo Ken was Sasuke Uchiha levels of cringe.
>>
>>64042916
>Handsome

KEK.

Literally the ugliest negro i've ever seen on the big screen, you cant possible think that thing is handsome?
>>
File: 1445982733489.jpg (142 KB, 460x578) Image search: [Google]
1445982733489.jpg
142 KB, 460x578
>>64041703
>the prequels have heart

The Takodana sequence has more love put into it than the entire prequels combined.
>>
>>64043059
Taking Jamal's cock doesn't make you a sex aficionado, Redditor cuck.
>>
why so many paid to see this jewish propaganda movie?
>>
File: bored.png (104 KB, 320x287) Image search: [Google]
bored.png
104 KB, 320x287
It's the same reason why 4chan went from ironically liberal during the Bush years and start of Obama's administration to ironically conservative over the past few years: It goes against popular opinion, people get pissed off over it because they don't get the joke, and it is repeated over and over again even though the joke stopped being funny simply because it annoys people.
>>
>>64043087
That these must, of necessity, be tragic dimensions means a plot that intensifies Anakin's transformation. Instead of getting close to the young knight's ambivalence, queering his romance with Amidala, Lucas stays with hollow generic spectacle: emphasizing a huge battle of armies distinguished only by good-guy white space suits vs. gray-black metal legions of clones. This takes Lucas back to the comic book simplicity of the first Star Wars. Fans couldn't tell camp from ineptitude and didn't care. It seemed Lucas hadn't thought through how much he wanted to pay homage to comics, sci-fi and adventure serials, or to what extent he would illustrate an enlightened, modernist response to mythology. (That was John Boorman's sophisticated achievement, collapsing time, character and myth in Excalibur.) The turn that the Star Wars series took when Irvin Kershner directed The Empire Strikes Back wasn't simply Oedipal but expressed the 70s-era oppositional attitude toward authority?complicated by a frightening loss of innocence. In that stunning, almost operatic moment of Darth Vader's revelation, Luke saw that he was an heir to history. Like a post-60s revolutionary, he realized his own fallibility when face to face with corruption.

The only good reason to continue the Star Wars story would be to investigate that fall from grace, and in doing so upgrade pop culture by seriously complicating notions of heroism, patriotism, family and society. Those are the valuable lessons of Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress and Ford's The Searchers, movies Lucas has acknowledged as influences. To make space operas any less substantive means giving in to the marketplace and to technology.
(2/3)
>>
>>64043119
Because Jewish propaganda is effective and has now made watching movies a matter of social acceptance.
>>
>>64043119
Because I got to take a girl to it and then take her home
>>
TFA > prequels, come at me you hypocritical contrarian fucks
>>
>>64043061
Really ugly and stupid character.

It was like watching the first black autistic child with a deformed head
>>
>>64043141
Not only should Lucas be encouraged in a bolder direction, but his fans (whether young or simply childish) must also be initiated into the thematic potential of pop culture. The best moments of Clones almost accomplish this, ironically, through Anakin's teenage petulance. Arguing politics with Amidala, he says "People should be made to agree." "That's dictatorship," she warns. And Anakin answers, "Well, if it works." Christensen has a teen idol look, politically naive, living only on libidinal and superficial instinct. He makes this the first hormonal Star Wars (with a bit of Steve McQueen/Justin Timberlake egotism), yet Lucas cools down the flirtation with Amidala through cliched love montages. He makes a more damaging mistake when staging Anakin's derring-do for thrills rather than horror, then cutting away from his moment of wrath.

Anakin's adolescent turmoil should be poignantly recognizable. His adventures should teach him moral basics, "the difference between knowledge and wisdom." He seems as sadly young and misguided as the boy drug-dealer in Kershner's RoboCop 2. Despite patented stiff line-readings ("Lucas lines," a friend calls them), there's a heartstopping moment when Anakin mentions "Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love." Such fleeting instances suggest the complex movie Clones ought to have been. Luc Besson already perfected the multiculti angle in the alien-chic The Fifth Element, and it must be admitted that The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring has preempted Lucas' most fanciful monsters, like the spiky Cheshire cat and the rhino beast with a broken tusk that Anakin, Amidala and Obi Wan (Ewan McGregor) fight in an arena. All that's left for Lucas to do is re-imagine sci-fi movies as fabled glimpses into the history of human aggression. If he doesn't, the upcoming episodes will only be clones.

(3/3)
>>
>>64041703
The prequels are soulless trash with Lucas just running around like a little kid doing whatever he thinks might be cool without putting any real emotion into it.
>>
File: 1368962729355.jpg (96 KB, 724x720) Image search: [Google]
1368962729355.jpg
96 KB, 724x720
>Film casts Woman and Negro
REEEEEEEEEEEE
>Film has an antagonist with more depth than HURRR IM EVULLL
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>Universally critically acclaimed
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>Smashes the box Office
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

i thought i was on /tv/ not /r9k/
>>
>>64043110
The prequels might be b level, although I loved rots personally.

Tfa was meme level
>>
>>64043149
and then she made you dinner and you said 'thanks mom'
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-12-23-17h31m56s521.png (878 KB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-12-23-17h31m56s521.png
878 KB, 1920x816
>mfw my ROTS appreciation thread reached bump limit and there is nothing Disney shills can do about it
Suck it Disney shills. Not everybody fell for your peer pressure marketing.
>>
>>64043187

Wrong. If anything Lucas puts too much emotion into things, considering that the prequel trilogy plays out like a mixture of Shakespeare and a daytime of Soap Opera.

That's why they're better than whatever Marvelfag trash Disney will put out.
>>
>>64042263
Fuck off Lucas.
>>
>>64043217
My mom can't cook for shit
>>
>>64041703

These are some scary fucking mental gymnastics. You should feel embarrassed.
>>
Do you remember when Mace Windu confronted Palpatine, suddenly Anakin appears cutting off his arms and he literally flew away like a Superman without arms screaming HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO? I do.
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 642x361) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 642x361
>>64043158
>>
>>64042825
I agree with that, pay attention to this scene because this fight alone destroys every fight in the prequels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4

The villain is intimidating, powerful, you get a feel for his character, his movements are fast but there's loads of weight behind important attacks/movements that change the way the battle progresses. Grievous is way outnumbered in this entire fight but it doesn't feel like it at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXTFdDrd7pA

Grievous isn't intimidating in the prequel, obiwan treats him like a joke, you don't get how he managed to kill any jedi at all, his movements are fast but that's it in a universe where every jedi is really fucking fast, he's frail and he loses his tiny robot hand a minute and a half into his second fight.
>>
>>64043191
>surprised that /tv/ doesn't agree with the masses
Spotted the newfag. Anime reaction images doesn't fool anyone, Redditor.
>>
>>64043257
>Spamming redditor as an insult

You really should limit your daytrips from /b/
>>
>>64042548
>Judging a movie according to general reception
>Worse, judging a movie according to general reception the week of release

Reminder that The Thing was considered awful by the "general public" at the time of release and The Phantom Menace a total masterpiece.
>>
>>64043128
great, except I genuinely prefer Episode 3 to every other episode, including TFA.

TFA was pretty mediocre, which in regards to Star Wars, is almost as bad as bombing.

You'll see, in a number of years when all the hype dies down in the mainstream, people will be ready to call it out on being flat.
>>
>>64043191
Its nice to know tfa is loved by weebs, bronies and other soulless non humans.

Makes me feel good for not liking it
>>
>>64042329
Your example of soul is le edgy cyborg guy who is given no back story or motivation beyond just "he da bad guy and like kills a bunch of Jedi off screen and stuff he super evil and gonna be a hard battle for da good guys"
>>
>>64043285
>Won raspberry for worst film
>Masterpiece
>>
>>64043246
He says "I WILL BE BAAAAACK" you faglord.
>>
>>64043288
> I genuinely prefer Episode 3 to every other episode, including TFA

It's ok we were all 14 once
>>
Prequels are awful but they're awful in their own merits and not because they ape the OT.
>>
File: 1443754015314.png (99 KB, 494x254) Image search: [Google]
1443754015314.png
99 KB, 494x254
>>64043288

>My favorite is the one that was a marketing ploy to sell Ewok toys
>>
>>64041703
Ah the trolling. It always starts this way, move on and laugh at the obvious bait.

But give it time. With enough repitition, this will become the majority opinion by sheer persistence
>>
>>64041617
>>64041617
I really love the ep2 poster. I wish the actual movie conveyed the emotion and gravitas of that poster.
>>
>>64043348
>Ewoks in episode 3
>>
>>64043088
no far worse because even Sasuke`s emoness was annoying as fuck at least he had a reason to be that way. Rylo Ren is an emo bitch for no reason
>>
>>64043288
>You'll see, in a number of years when all the hype dies down in the mainstream, people will be ready to call it out on being a glib facsimile

I agree.
>>
>>64043347

lmao is this a fucking joke post?

>jango
>hey look its r2!
>darth vader made c3po!
>over a billion cgi stormtroopers
>hey its young chewbacca!

Prequels were pure poetry.
>>
>>64043354

Why is it that TFAfags can only defend their movie by shouting "contrarian" and "bait"?
>>
>>64041755
>phantom of the menace
It's like you couldn't decide if you were going to say "Phantom of the Opera" or "Phantom Menace" and tried saying both at the same time.
>>
>>64043436
Why is it contrarian tweens can only defend the prequels by saying ' bold' and 'original' when both are lies
>>
>>64043116
I wish /pol/ was able to communicate without using the same 3 or 4 meaningless buzzwords over and over. Then at least posts like this might be interesting.

This post seems like it could easily be written by a computer that we just fed in some basic /pol/ speak to. There's no hint of original thought or intelligence, simply blind SJW-esque screeching of stock phrases.
>>
>>64043191
>Film has an antagonist with more depth than HURRR IM EVULLL

what the fuck are you talking about?

His entire story and role in TFA is to be as edgy and evil as possible.

He's Vader done very badly. Not intimidating in the fucking slightest, especially when he loses to an untrained malnourished girl from the outback and repeatedly makes an incompetent twat of himself.
>>
>>64043348
That wasn't a ploy to sell Ewoks toys.

Lucas thought that his original idea of Wookies would make the Rebels feel overpowered, compared to the Empire. The Rebels are supposed to be the underdogs. How would the battle look with 7 foot tall, hulking furballs ripping Stormtroopers to shred?

Lucas made the right call.
>>
>>64043455

Because both are actually fact.
>>
>>64043366
tall ewoks
>>
>>64043460
How can someone miss the point of a character so badly?
>>
>>64043436
Because they know the only reason they like this shit turd is due to peer pressure.
>>
>>64042388
That's harsh. Both Obi Wans were great in their respective movies.
>>
>>64043479

Even I got that the Ewoks were supposed to serve some symbolic purpose of the meek and innocent triumphing evil or some shit.
>>
>>64043426
>"I made this crappy C3P0 for my mom"
Is that seriously supposed to be the same Glorious Golden fagbot from the first trilogy?

And if so Didn't they take it with them once they left?
>>
>>64043460
Kylo Ren in TFA
>Is torn between living up to his grandfather's heritage and his family
>Is desperate and unstable because of this
>Wears a mask to emulate his hero

Darth Vader in A New Hope
>Evil
>Scary mask because he's part machine
>V evil man
>>
>>64043348
That's episode 6.
>>
File: 1446607058977.jpg (36 KB, 805x669) Image search: [Google]
1446607058977.jpg
36 KB, 805x669
>>64043526
>>Is torn between living up to his grandfather's heritage and his family
>>Is desperate and unstable because of this
>>Wears a mask to emulate his hero

Almost sounds like Kylo Ren epitomizes the nature of the film itself.
>>
>>64043526
darth maul was better
>>
>>64043336
Actually I think I was 14 when I saw Episode 3 in the cinema.

You'd think that's why I like it most but I severely disliked 1 and 2. Not to mention I'd seen the originals before the prequels so it's not nostalgia goggles.
>>
>>64043568
Yeah he was EPIC :P XD
Keanu Reeves isn't badass he's a Vader wannabe lol
>>
>>64043496
By using a fine mixture of Autism and ADHA.
>>
>>64043554
Shut up Padme.

Why couldn't you have been the decoy and Keira Knightly be the Queen?
>>
>>64043606

Cause Keira Knightley was only 12
>>
>>64043554
It's poetry. It rhymes. Both are hack jobs pretending to be something greater than they actually are.
>>
>>64043436
Because it's left wing political people that are clinging to the movie because they want to see the ugliest worst black actor fuck some small British white girl.

It would be the apex of their lives
>>
>>64043600
hello redditor
>>
>>64043526
Vader killed Palpatine to save his family eventually bringing balance to the force, isn't that his legacy
>>
>>64043626
At the time of Phantom Menace?

Works better then since Anakin is around that age as well.
>>
File: 1428565892355.jpg (75 KB, 474x600) Image search: [Google]
1428565892355.jpg
75 KB, 474x600
>>64041703

>prequels
>heart

In what way exactly? All of the characters are completely forgettable and unlikable except for Palpatine and Obi Wan.

I'm not saying TFA was great by any means, but it works objectively better than the prequels did as a movie on its own.
>>
>>64043460
He hasn't finished his training you dunce.

He's supposed to not be as I intimidating as Vader. Vader had fucking 6 movies centered around him. You really think the best way for a new movie to go is to be like "ooohhh look this new villian is like totally just as bad and evil as the villian we built up for 6 movies and had a fucking virgin birth because he was so special and powerful!" They went in another direction because it would have just been a stupid rehash to try to make a new Vader. Instead he's actually an engaging character because the intimation from him comes from it not being clear how far he's willing to go for his beta uprising.

The fact that anons are upset we have a villian who is has more depth than trash like Maul and who don't understand the fact that this is supposed to be his starting point for him to develop from... Just proves how fucking pleb this board really is.

Go back to Bane posting, your thoughts aren't worth the time to actually read.
>>
File: 734849.png (369 KB, 566x386) Image search: [Google]
734849.png
369 KB, 566x386
>>64043680
>>64043626
>>64043606
>>
>>64041703
you're hopeless

>Even anons who dislike the prequels admit they're better than TFA.

also, HELL NO MOTHERFUCKER. the prequels are still absolute, utter, unsalvageable bullshit that TFA shits ALL OVER

don't speak for me or other anons jackass
>>
>>64043347
It's like you don't even understand the poetry meme at all.
>>
>>64043688
>but it works objectively better than the prequels did as a movie on its own
only if you're accustomed to video games and capeshit
>>
>>64043695
In theory, and by himself, Kylo Ren is a good character.

With the rest of the movie? Not so much.
>>
>>64043695
A sith disciple being almost beaten by a coward janitor in lightsaber fight isn't depth. It's inconsistency.
>>
>>64043526
>I don't understand why Vader is so iconic

Kylo Ren is the primary antagonist and serves as a mouth piece for the most dangerous force in the galaxy. He fails at being intimidating and by extension, the empire seems less daunting.

Not that they needed any help looking incompetent as shit.
>>
>>64043765
The prequels were literally 'Video Game: The Movie'. Every ounce of effort squeezed into them was put into the CGI action scenes and choreography.
>>
>>64041617
Hi, shit-taste manchild!!

If you use the word "contrarian," you're literally an idiot. It's an invented concept by idiots with reddit sensibilities who are too fragile to deal with criticism of mediocre media that has widespread appeal.

It's a troubling manifestation of millennials' mental weakness. Seriously, the only people who would even entertain any "argument" involving the concept of being "contrarian" are weak, lazy idiots who can't deal with criticism substantively.

If it bothers you that much that people criticize mediocre mass-marketed work designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator, like Star Wars, Breaking Bad, pop music, etc., you should find a safe bubble and stay there. Or kill yourself.

Enjoy being a literal mindless consumer plebeian.
>>
>>64043808
That doesn't make them video games.

TFA has a video game STRUCTURE.
>>
>>64041703
>ep1 trying something different
>boy on desert planet
>force sensitive
>good pilot/driver
>meets a jedi
>leaves desert planet and the little family he had to start a new life
>becomes part of a bigger conflict
>learns a little about the force, and the galaxy as a whole
>joins a jedi, weird alien, and royalty
>gets in a space dog fight
>blows up main ship winning final battle
>old jedi man dies to a sith lord
>young boy gets rewarded on a podium in front of a bunch of people
>will later become a jedi

Gee which movie did I describe, ep 1 or 4?

All THREE trilogy lead ins are now similar stories, with their subsequent movies being different. It's literal poetry and intentional, and you cannot bash ep7 for doing what ep1 did.
>>
>>64043695
>depth
>I must be more edgy to gain more power like my granddaddy, b-but wait can I be edgy enough?!!
>depth

yeah, nah you're a cunt, this film was just A new hope :lite
>>
>>64043838
What exactly is a video game structure, Anon, and why does TFA have it and not the prequels?
>>
>>64043522

Lucas had originally intended Star Wars to be a story told from the droids perspective or something like that.

If you notice, Obi-Wan, Vader and R2-D2 & C-3PO are the only characters who appear in all six films. There's kind of a reason for that.

>>64043688

>I'm not saying TFA was great by any means, but it works objectively better than the prequels did as a movie on its own.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that, but that just says the movie is formulaic enough that it hits all the basic points. It's not a testament to there being anything meaningful.
>>
>>64043846
ep1 uses similar backdrops for poetic reasons but the plot is still vastly different
>>
>>64043695
>Go back to Bane posting

For you.
>>
>>64043908
>CIA is William Wilson
>Calls himself Bill
>Bill Wilson
>BW
>Bruce Wayne

Now, that's what I call Baneposting!
>>
>>64043846
I hear you, but c'mon TFA takes it way beyond a homage story arc. Ep 1 may have similarities with some elements of 4, but 7 makes almost identical parallels with 4 to the point of practically being a re-master edition.
>>
>>64043846

For everything "poetic" about Episode 1 with Episode 4, there's at least two things about it that set it apart from any other movie in the Saga. You only were able to make it seem like you had a point by trivializing things to the highest degree you could to substantiate your argument.

Also, if we were to agree that Episode 1 was bad for these reasons you stated and Episode 7 has done the same thing, that doesn't make Episode 7 "good" it just brings it down more to Episode 1's level.
>>
>>64043786
>the empire

You never actually watched the movie did you?
>>
>>64043890
So that it IS supposed to be C3P0.

So if Anakin built fagbot for his mother why did they take C3P0 with them and not come back for Schmi until AotC?
>>
File: SW-Table.png (92 KB, 1527x1370) Image search: [Google]
SW-Table.png
92 KB, 1527x1370
>>64043846
>implying Ep1 isn't actually Ep6
>>
>>64043890
>It's not a testament to there being anything meaningful.

I agree completely. It's just these autists on /tv/ who legitimately believe that Episodes 1-3 work better as films than TFA does that I can't understand. It's like comparing moldy bread to a piece of moldy shit.
>>
>>64044039
>So that it IS supposed to be C3P0.

Yes, you dolt.

>So if Anakin built fagbot for his mother why did they take C3P0 with them and not come back for Schmi until AotC?

Anakin left C-3PO with his mother because he specifically build 3PO to help his mother. He took 3PO with him after his mother died. Then at the end of Episode 3, Bail Organa (Leia's adoptive father) orders his memory wiped
>>
>>64044039
Because Lucas is a hack and just put 3PO in the prequels as Anakin's creation for soulless fan service that basically shoves it into your face in the hopes of cashing in on nostalgia for the previous movies without any logical reason for that to be the case. It's incredibly contrived but let them sell a few more tickets by using a known character in the promo material.
>>
>>64044074
>I agree completely. It's just these autists on /tv/ who legitimately believe that Episodes 1-3 work better as films than TFA does that I can't understand. It's like comparing moldy bread to a piece of moldy shit.

I don't think anyone has really said that. I think most can agree that TFA from the purely technical perspective of film making is probably better. But even if the prequels don't quite follow the formula for what is usually considered a "good movie", they at least have a certain sense of ambition or originality to them, which some feel is missing in Disney's latest attempt to cash in on their newest IP.

Think of it like this. If there are five basic points to film making, TFA has probably hit all points, while the prequel trilogy probably only hit three of them, but some people can appreciate the prequels more because they don't seem to feel like they're as much of a straight line.

I can understand that, especially considering how many films win Academy Awards each year that lack any sense of originality or break with established formulas. All you gotta do to win an Oscar these days is make a film about the Holocaust that follows the same pattern as Schindler's List or make a movie about a disabled kid overcoming adversity through the power of the human spirit. I'd gladly watch the SW prequels multiple times than any of that shit.
>>
>>64044037
The first order is an empire.
>>
>>64043846
>new director
>rehashes old director's apparently "BAD" ideas

What do you think happens, retard?
>>
>>64044158

C-3PO was going to be in the movie either way, no matter what because the droids were always the biggest icons of the Star Wars franchise. They probably appeared on more talk shows, PSA's, cartoons and commercials than any of the other Star Wars characters before 1999.

I always thought Anakin building C-3PO was kinda clever in its own way, his way of tying 3PO to the Skywalker clan or a little joke that went along the lines of "hey, Vader is 3PO's father too." Anthony Daniels certainly thought it was funny.
>>
>>64043902
Sure its different, other than the similarities I listed.

>>64043962
I'd rather have a remaster of ep4 than a trilogy that retroactively makes the ot gay, like hayden force ghost, vader being a child molester/whiny faggot, boba being a kiwi, etc.

The new trilogy will at least respect the ot, not try to leave it in darkness and alter it, like the pt does.

>>64044006
The only things being trivialized is how shitty ep1 is when it's NOT emulating ep4. Cry more pt baby retard.

>>64044069
So its aping TWO movies? Well thanks for helping me out.
>>
File: 1444614117940.webm (3 MB, 936x400) Image search: [Google]
1444614117940.webm
3 MB, 936x400
Bravo Lucas.
>>
>>64044228
If you prefer incoherent cgi cash-ins over well constructed stories with engaging characters then maybe you are better off sticking to Star Wars prequels, Transformers movies and their ilk. That's fine but don't try to pretend that it's for some reason beyond your own susceptiblity to enjoying pretty colors and "scary" 1D villains.
>>
>>64044337
That still looks fucking good.

>tfw ep2 should have kicked off the pt, with ep2 being a full clone wars movie
>tfw you have to watch a shitty cgi cartoon to get all the relevant character building for anakin

How can you fucks defend the pt?????
>>
>>64044334
>The new trilogy will at least respect the ot,

It's already proven it has very little respect for the OT, though, considering how it's ruined all the OT characters and replaced them with OC Donut Steel.

>>64044463

>If you prefer incoherent cgi cash-ins over well constructed stories with engaging characters then maybe you are better off sticking to Star Wars prequels, Transformers movies and their ilk.

TFA is more in the vein of Transformers, Avengers and Iron Man than any of the prequel trilogy is. And what do you know, the people that like it are the same casuals who like those movies.

Have fun with Episode VIII: Star Wars Into Darkness
>>
>>64041617
It's BASED George Lucas.

And you faggots deserve this new J.J. shit with physically retarded actors to cater to SJWs for bashing the based prequels for so long. I always loved them for various reasons. Amazing OST, amazingly well cast actors with Dooku, Kenobi, Neeson, Padme, Sheev, Dindu, even Anakin. Enemies that are actually powerful and don't become a running gag and a joke in the movie itself.

But who cares, right? The majority loves 7. Just try to fit in and hype this shit up.
>>
>>64044502
>That still looks fucking good.

no it doesn't. it looks like a clusterfuck of stale special effects you'd see in a video game trailer.

a movie designed and written for 10 year olds.
>>
>>64044337
Oh no, the CGi from 20 years ago kinda aged.

But let us all ignore the Dreamworks alien that had Luke's sword in 7.
>>
>>64044646
>a movie designed and written for 10 year olds.
But then you would like it which clearly isn't the case.
>>
>>64044329
It makes zero sense with everything we are shown in the movies. 3PO is shown to not be one of a kind. His slave mother would need a droid to do heavy lifting and things of that nature rather than a protocol droid designed to help with translations between politicians. It makes no sense that that same droid would be the one to show up later in the continuity and they had ham fist in a soap opera memory loss just to make it fit together at all.

They were iconic but they were far less iconic than other elements like Vader's appearance and voice.

It was a shit idea from start to finish and only existed to take advantage of nostalgia in the audience.
>>
>>64044502

Episode I actually serves an important purpose in showing how things were on the eve of the Clone War. Episode I is the only movie in the entire Saga that actually takes place in a time of relative innocence and peace, while all the other five films take place in a time of darkness

>>64044646

>a movie designed and written for 10 year olds.

You're not gonna want to hear this, but all the Star Wars movies were written and designed with ten year olds in mind.
>>
>>64044715
>pg-13
>>
>>64044329
I thought it was funny in a stupid way.

I really don't like the prequel syndrome of "And everyone was connected to each other in some way" because it cheapens the original.

And that's not just Star Wars that's most stuff that have prequels.
>>
>>64044607
>TFA is more in the vein of Transformers

Nope, and you can't back up this statement even a little bit.
>>
false teddy bear god is made by a kid wtf is this bullshit.
>>
>>64044502
How can anyone defend Attack of the Clones either?
Both were shit for various different reasons.
It wasn't until Revenge of the Sith that George had warmed up enough after all these years of directorial inactivity and being surrounded by sycophants that he was able to make something that passes for a good movie, and even then it lost a lot of its luster by virtue of being tied with the two trainwrecks that preceded it. Sure, the prequels have a lot of brilliant ideas and world building, it's just that George's execution of them fails on almost all levels. Thus, any media related to the prequels is almost infinitely superior to at lest the first two films.
>>
>>64044754
Only ROTS and TFA have pg-13 rating
>>
>>64044715
>Episode I actually serves an important purpose in showing how things were on the eve of the Clone War.
>Important

So important, it could have been summed up in a sentence or two had George simply started where things were actually happening: During the Clone Wars.
>>
>>64044701
>His slave mother would need a droid to do heavy lifting and things of that nature rather than a protocol droid designed to help with translations between politicians.

Protocol droids do a lot more than just translating. Anakin built 3PO to help his mom with housework and shit, things a protocol droid is perfectly suited for. Protocol Droids are basically the butler droids of the SW universe. And translator droids come in handy on a planet like Tatooine considering that Owen Lars, a moisture farmer wanted one that speaks Bachi for some reason.

>It makes no sense that that same droid would be the one to show up later in the continuity and they had ham fist in a soap opera memory loss just to make it fit together at all.

Star Wars is a soap opera

>and only existed to take advantage of nostalgia in the audience.

It was put in for humor's sake and no other reason because 3PO is a comic character. Stop acting like Lucas had evil purposes for what he just thought would be funny. 3PO was going to be in the movie, and he may as well be put in there in a humorous way since he's a humorous character.
>>
>>64044715
>actually serves an important purpose in showing how things were on the eve of the Clone War.

You might actually be retarded. Please speak to your primary care physician.
>>
File: 1417170969654.jpg (149 KB, 2014x1678) Image search: [Google]
1417170969654.jpg
149 KB, 2014x1678
>>64044890
>it could have been summed up in a sentence or two had George simply started where things were actually happening: During the Clone Wars.

If he had done that, Faggot Letter Media would have been complaining about how Lucas gave them no reason to care why the Clone War is happening and that we just jumped into it with little context or without seeing enough of what the galaxy was like before the War. We all know this to be true
>>
>>64044890
Show, don't tell.
Cinema 101, family.
>>
>>64043676
not in a new hope he didnt
>>
>>64044971

I'm not wrong. Episode I is what provides the context for the Clone War. If you just went into Episode 2, it'd be even more of just "The Separatists are leaving and uniting under Count Dooku for some reason and the Republic doesn't like it."
>>
>>64044607
>st already disrespects ot

This is bullshit. The st doesn't retroactively change shit in the ot like the pt did. Sure the galaxy is in the same state it was in 40 years ago, but at keast theres no jar jar, fart jokes, thats wiz ani, spinnings a good trick, midichlorians, etc.

Like I said above, ep1 may have had it's own overall plot, but the things that differed from ep4 are shit.

Ep7 doesn't add fuck all to the series, I will grant that, but it also doesn't take away or alter anything either.
>>
File: Star-wars-wallpaper-34.jpg (187 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Star-wars-wallpaper-34.jpg
187 KB, 1024x768
V > IV > VI > III > VII > I > II

Empire Strikes Back and A New Hope are the only good movies. Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith have their moments though.
The Force Awakens is Jurassic World tier. It's bad, it's soulless, but if you ignore that it can be enjoyable enough to justify buying a ticket.
There's a reason people shit on the prequels. Just tried watching Phantom Menace last night and it was literally like an SNL skit parodying Star Wars. Aside from a few decent performances and the soundtrack, everything about it was awkward and bad. It felt like a low budget cash in on a popular video game. Even the Darth Maul light saber duel at the end aged poorly.
>>
Ive always liked episode 1 because as now 22, it was the fucking shit when i was young. Pod racing was fucking sick, maul is the best villain, the fights are 10000 times better, droids > stormcucks

but 2 and 3 are objectively fucking shit because CGI out the asshole. Also dont like anakins actor in the slightest
>>
File: 1411613428063.png (398 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1411613428063.png
398 KB, 600x450
>>64044979

>When George shows
>"Ugh, just fucking tell us in a couple sentences, stop showing us all this shit"
>When George tells
>"Ugh, show, not tell, faggot"
>>
>>64043846
>>becomes part of a bigger conflict

Uhhh, what? Anakin podraces for freedom. Luke meets Han for passage to Aldaraan. Not the same.
>>
>>64045091
Hating on George is a meme and there's no way to win, that's all there is to it.
>>
>>64042916
>Desperate virgins dislike TFA
>Star Wars fans are literally the epitome of neckbeard "nerds"

this is some striking idiocy you got
>>
>>64045073
Star Wars as envisioned and told by George Lucas:
IV > V > VI > III > I > II

Star Wars as made by soulless corporate hucksters:
VII
>>
>>64043087
>tfw Based Armond leaves coal in all the plebs' stockings
>>
>>64045059
>jar jar,

Jar Jar hate is a meme

>fart jokes

There was like one.

>spinnings a good trick

that line is supposed to be comic

>midichlorians

Didn't change anything. Midichlorians aren't the force.
>>
The prequels had depth, creativity and restraint to them. TFA was an extremely contrived and watered down commercial product designed to tick as many boxes and make as much money as possible. It had no soul. It was just a robotic re-tread of old territory. Where were the classic moments like the lightsaber fight in the Phantom Menace or the assassin city chase in Attack of the Clones? Just basic human moments were completely lose among the jumble of TFA because it wasn't about telling a story, it was about selling you a dream. A dream you've had multiple times before. I don't feel like I know anything about the characters in TFA like I know Anakin or Obi-Wan and that was because the bottom line is that the prequels were a better quality than TFA.
>>
>>64044909
>Anakin built 3PO to help his mom with housework and shit, things a protocol droid is perfectly suited for.

...it can't even bend over or move its arms and it constantly complains about doing anything resembling "dirty work." The mental gymnastics on display here are actually sort of impressive. It's clear you are having an extremely difficult time dealing with just how shit decisions like this were in the prequels.

If you like it because you watched it as a kid and have nostalgia for it, just say that. Trying to defend Lucas being a hack for some easy cash is just embarrassing to watch.
>>
Just going to repost the reason TFA is bad:

Try and think of Jaakku.

Ok, now tell me what Jaakku is?

Ok, now try and think of what other planets there were in the film.

Think of that planet with Maz. What was the name of that planet?

What do you know about it?

What planet did the first order blow up? No, it's not Coruscant.

What can you tell me about it?

What planet were the rebels on?

Ok, what can you say about this planet? Why were they there?

Now tell me about the resistance. What does it comprise? Who backs it up?

Give me 2 new pieces of tech that are cool in any way (2 because you'll say either kylo ren's lightsaber or the baton of the TRAITOR trooper).

Now give me 1 non-main character who's backstory you're interested in reading a book about (because if he/she is not interesting to sit down and READ about, it fails the test).

And last, but certainly not least - tell me how much time you spent on wookiepedia looking for side/small characters from TFA?

Go through this entire test and you will realize why TFA is not proper Star Wars.
>>
>>64045183
>Implying Phantom Menace isn't one big meme

>>64045217
I wish they blew up Coruscant. Fuck Coruscant.
>>
>>64045236
>Fuck Coruscant

Coruscant has tons of potential. It's just never been explored.
>>
>>64045217
I want to know more about Phasma...

Like what she does when she's off duty. What planet she is originally from. What the inside of her suit smells like.....
>>
>>64045163
George if you are going to post here, at least start your own thread and use a trip so we can ask you questions.
>>
>>64045217
>Now give me 1 non-main character who's backstory you're interested in reading a book about (because if he/she is not interesting to sit down and READ about, it fails the test).
Phasma

>>64045250
Potential for more boring dialogue that goes fucking nowhere.

It would have beaten The Death Star blowing up Alderaan.
>>
>>64045196
>...it can't even bend over or move its arms and it constantly complains about doing anything resembling "dirty work."

We see C-3PO helping out on the moisture farm in Episode 2.

Stop acting like Shmi was fucking lifting boxes and shit. The most we saw her doing was polishing some old parts, something 3PO could easily help with along with pushing a broom. Nobody said anything about 3PO having to help Shmi with hard labor and nothing suggests Shmi was expected to do any hard labor.
>>
>>64045250
>It's just never been explored

It's been explored a shit ton in other media, Lucas himself pulled it from the EU. And all Lucas needs to focus on in his movies is Coruscant's relevance as the center of the Galactic Republic. He does a great job showing different parts of the city with what little time he has to focus on it in the movies.
>>
>>64045269
that's a bit creepy mate
>>
>>64045302
>Potential for more boring dialogue that goes fucking nowhere.

Coruscant has tons of potential because it's a huge city and we have no idea what a city in Star Wars would look like. I'd actually love an independant movie of something like a bounty hunter or smuggler on Coruscant.
>>
>>64044972
>>64044979
I'd rather have some little exposition contained to two or three lines than a whole movie serving as it that is thought to be so contrived and pointless that many are recommending skipping it at succeeding rewatches. Phantom Menace is literally Tell: The Movie.

>>64045091
It's all about the execution baby.

>>64045126
I don't hate George. Quite admire him really. But I do hate the first two prequels and what they represent to both Star Wars and him as a creative person.
>>
>>64045217
>Give me 2 new pieces of tech that are cool in any way (2 because you'll say either kylo ren's lightsaber or the baton of the TRAITOR trooper).

You seriously watch Star Wars to see a fancy new gun or scanner thing? The only one that had all new tech was a New Hope.

I mean I know people who praise the prequels generally must enjoy things on the most shallow level but it is absurd how shallow and surface level you are looking for "proper Star Wars."
>>
city world looked so interesting.

much more chances to be creative than jungleworld or desertworld or iceworld or skyworld or windowsxp world.
>>
>>64045185
>The prequels had... restraint to them

Stopped reading here. Come back with better b8.
>>
>>64044620
Holy shit, being this deluded has to be a form of mental illness.

Also, casting doesn't automatically equal great performances. I just feel bad for Christopher Lee getting sucked into such a shitty franchise near the end of his life. At least he was killed off quickly (albeit in a totally retarded way) in the 6 so he didn't have to suffer the indignity of being cgi-ed into spinning and twirling around some more.
>>
>>64044337
Now post Maz Katana and Snookey boy.
>>
>>64045395
>I'd rather have some little exposition contained to two or three lines

You'd rather have two or three lines to explain why the biggest galactic conflict the Republic has seen in over a thousand years is even happening in the first place just so you can get a 2nd film that will just be a drawn out episode of The Clone Wars cartoon?

>Phantom Menace is literally Tell: The Movie.

It really isn't. The entire Clone War traces back to the conflict we see in the Naboo system.
>>
>>64044620
>Dooku, Kenobi, Neeson, Padme, Sheev, Dindu, even Anakin.

My favorite part of this post is the way "Neeson" is just slipped in there because his character was so flat and forgettable that you only remember the actor and not even the character's name while you are rushing to defend those dumps.
>>
>>64041617
The prequels are shit and still below all of the OT and 7
>>
>>64045373
But we do. It looks like that. And having met its potential it'd be a huge move both in-universe and in Star Wars to blow that shit up in 7 because it's so iconic compared to Leia's homeworld.

We never see Alderaan in A New Hope, but Coruscant? Three Movies spread over 9 with DialogueDialogueDialogue, a 50's Diner and two interesting action setpieces.

Yeah for a game it'd be cool (Damn shame they cancelled that game since it looked very promising) but I'm still disappointed they never blew it up in the movie.
>>
The only prequel I ever considered ranking on par with any ot at all was 3 and that was for a very short time. I rewatched it and its such a shitty film, TFA is miles better than any prequel reddit prequel apologists fuck off
>>
>>64045565

>Qui Gon Jinn
>the character who is pretty much the embodiment of the perfect Jedi Knight.
>flat and forgettable

Just calling him Neeson isn't an insult to the character, it's a fucking compliment.
>>
>>64045395
>It's all about the execution baby.

Even the things George executes right,neckbeards refuse to give him credit for.
>>
>>64045431
>The only one that had all new tech was a New Hope.

Empire had AT-ATs and snowspeeders.

Return of the Jedi had AT-STs (if they weren't already in by Empire, I forget, if they were add it to the previous point), speeders, Mon Calamari cruisers.

Phantom Menace had naboo ships (more of the fact that it showed ships of different cultures), battle droids, the double-bladed lightsaber, even stuff like Maul's infiltrator (which was shown for a split-second yet still made a killer lego model). Even podracing desu.

Clone Wars had clones, Jedi Starfighters, cars in star wars, the jedi temple itself.

ROTS had republic cruisers, separatist battle ships, droid starfighters, elite clones, a mining facility on a planet.

This is literally just off the top of my head, without having watched any of them recently. And I'm only trying to make the point that every new movie had SOMETHING.
>>
>>64042329
>Idk why people think that something is soulless because it's CG.
Because they are literally thinking with tags. "Practical effects" - good. "Digital" - bad. I bet those fucks have convinced themselves that ewoks fight is better then battle of Geonosis.
>>
>>64045552
>You'd rather have two or three lines to explain why the biggest galactic conflict the Republic has seen in over a thousand years is even happening in the first place just so you can get a 2nd film that will just be a drawn out episode of The Clone Wars cartoon?

Yes. There's a term in screenwriting that goes "Start Late, Get Out Early". With the prequels, Lucas started way too early with inconsequential Gungans, the "thrill" of trade talks, please buy the video game Pod-Racing and a "Gary Stu" self insert for his son. You won't miss much if you skip it if you were watching them all for the first time.

>The entire Clone War traces back to the conflict we see in the Naboo system.

And the entire conflict we see in the OT can be traced to the prequels. Guess what, we didn't need the prequels back then to enjoy the OT, and we still don't.
>>
>>64045750
I guess Jar Jar really did walk pretty funny. Fair point.
>>
>>64041703
>/tv/: the post
>>
>>64045750
I've been praising Lucas for his world building in this thread and others and have gone in lengths discussing various separate merits of the prequels. It's just as a whole, they're a trainwreck. Now, a trainwreck can have elements that are good, brilliant even. But at the end of the day, it doesn't come together in a satisfying way. PM and AotC are what I'd consider Spider-Man 3 tier in that, if you are aware of their flaws, you can enjoy them. It's just that they broke your heart the first time around, and in my case it was enough not to enjoy RotS because of the bad taste they left. This was before Plinkett, mind. Those of you youngsters that think Star Wars fans weren't dissatisfied with the prequels before those can go suck a meme.
>>
>>64045857
Because it was, you retard. Someone already posted the webm of that retarded battle that was utterly meaningless.
>>
File: 4d5991709f3d9.png (1 MB, 1920x800) Image search: [Google]
4d5991709f3d9.png
1 MB, 1920x800
>>64042939
>When it comes to visualizing fantasy landscapes in a matter-of-fact way, few rivals can touch him
Nigga please. Riddick movies had more creative environments then all SW movies combined.
>>
>>64045865
>inconsequential Gungans

The Gungan representative is the one who helps start the downfall of the Republic.

>the "thrill" of trade talks

People act like this shit was some sort of macro-economics course on screen. It can literally be summed up as "Republic forces chinks to pay taxes, they don't like it, they protest by blockading Naboo."

If the Senate scene in Episode 1 feels a little drab, that's intentional.

>You won't miss much if you skip it if you were watching them all for the first time.

Except for the very reason the Clone War starts in the next movie
>>
>>64045779
>literally not even naming any actual new or inspired tech, just things with different designs

You are a shallow idiot
>>
>>64045779
>Empire had AT-ATs and snowspeeders.
>Return of the Jedi had AT-STs

Is this real life? Is this just fantasy? Did you really just say two slightly different walking robots are a good basis for judging the movies? A New Hope had a hovercar and you are amazed by a hover bike in the next one? Fucking seriously?
>>
>>64046040
Name the things that are the original things I named with a different design.

I will stab myself and post a photo if you can.
>>
>>64046011
>The Gungan representative is the one who helps start the downfall of the Republic.

Could have been any random character and it would have served the same purpose. Hell, would have been stronger from a dramatic standpoint if, say, Amidala herself did the deed, thus unknowingly sealing the deal on her tragic fate.

>It can literally be summed up as "Republic forces chinks to pay taxes, they don't like it, they protest by blockading Naboo."

That's what I've been saying. This was all the exposition we needed for Attack of the Clones to work, not a movies worth, a sideline.

>If the Senate scene in Episode 1 feels a little drab, that's intentional.

Great film making right there. If there was anything Star Wars fans and casual movie goers were after, it was C-Span tier drabness.

>Except for the very reason the Clone War starts in the next movie

Which don't warrant a whole movie.
>>
>>64043144
>as he says this on a movies discussion board
>>
>>64046153
Nice strawman bro
>>
>>64046011
>Gungan representative is the one who helps start the downfall of the Republic.

Only because he wrote it that way later. Do you not understand that Star Wars didn't really happen and they could have made the events however they liked?
>>
>>64046210
Do you not know what a strawman argument is either?
>>
>>64045975

>But at the end of the day, it doesn't come together in a satisfying way. PM and AotC are what I'd consider Spider-Man 3 tier in that, if you are aware of their flaws, you can enjoy them. It's just that they broke your heart the first time around, and in my case it was enough not to enjoy RotS because of the bad taste they left.

I can respect this opinion, but my point was that George never seems able to do anything right even when he actually succeeds. It's become something of a meme to regard the prequels as the worst thing that has been filmed, but this is just neckbeards being drama queens, breathing more weight into their flaws because at some point, it stopped being "the prequels, or at least 1 through 2, aren't that great or very good," to "look how much I hate the prequels everyone, look how many irrelevant nitpicks I can come up with, and look how much I can hate Lucas more,"

Jesus Christ, the movies themselves aren't even the lowest rated sci-fi movies on RT but people act like they're modern Plan 9's From Outer Space.

>Those of you youngsters that think Star Wars fans weren't dissatisfied with the prequels before those can go suck a meme.

Nobody really said that. The most anyone has said is that they weren't universally hated upon their release and they probably still aren't universally hated today, except by people just hopping on board meme hate and trying to earn internets by sharing macros and trying to come up with the next creative dig at them that will get them likes on reddit, youtube or facebook.
>>
>>64046199
>Could have been any random character and it would have served the same purpose.
Except make Ja-Jar significantly deeper and way more mature as a character. But hey, Plinkett said he's for chiiiiildren and you're only watching mature movies for hardcore fans such as yourself!
>>
>>64046278
Giving the impression of refuting another's argument while actually refuting an argument he has not made.

I.e. building up an argument yourself and refuting it.

My argument was never that AT-ATs or AT-STs make the movie good or that a hover bike is an amazing piece of technology.
>>
>>64041703
Finally someone said it. Thank you based anon
>>
>>64045363
>He does a great job showing different parts of the city with what little time he has to focus on it in the movies.

Lets see, there's a space port, there's the Jedi temple from outside and the Senate from outside, then there's an industrial building right in the commercial area and apart from that it's the same looking, inconsequential, lazily designed skyscrapers neck to neck, it might as well be a screen-saver 90% of the time.
>>
>>64041617
>he doesn't appreciate world building
Spotted the redditor
>>
>>64046329
Then what are you even trying to say? I'm literally responding to things you are actually saying. That's not a straw man at all, dumbass.

You were claiming that TFA isn't "proper Star Wars" because it doesn't have new technology. Your example of new technology in previous movies are walking robots and different sized walking robot+two types of hover vehicles. Do you mean that being "proper Star Wars" is different from making a "movie good"? I guess if you base things on the prequels maybe your impression of Star Wars is that they should be more about flashy new tech than making good movies but in that case just say that.
>>
>>64046199
>Could have been any random character and it would have served the same purpose. Hell, would have been stronger from a dramatic standpoint if, say, Amidala herself did the deed, thus unknowingly sealing the deal on her tragic fate.

It wouldn't have been nearly as satirical though. There's a reason George chose Jar Jar to be the one who suggests the Senate sell its liberty for security.

>That's what I've been saying. This was all the exposition we needed for Attack of the Clones to work, not a movies worth, a sideline.

It would have been incredibly cheap your way though.

>Great film making right there. If there was anything Star Wars fans and casual movie goers were after, it was C-Span tier drabness.

It is great film making actually. Cause the whole point of the Senate scene is to show that the Senate is just full of boring politicians that don't produce any immediate results which help those who are actually suffering. The point of the scene is that Amidala arrives hoping the Senate will hear her pleas and rally with all their passion to save poor Naboo and they don't, they just follow all these vain formalities while sighing at her petition for aid.

>Which don't warrant a whole movie.

It certainly doesn't warrant three passing lines of exposition. Overkill is better than underkill in this case.
>>
>>64046662
>It wouldn't have been nearly as satirical though.

Who is he saterizing here?
>>
>>64041703
>Even anons who dislike the prequels admit they're better than TFA.
And I can find a working biologist that doesn't believe in evolution, what's your point? Did you mean a majority of of anons who dislike the prequels? If you did, allow me to laugh even harder.
>>
>>64046692

American politicians
>>
>>64045183
>Jar Jar hate is a meme

every scene he is in, is atrocious, he steps in poo, he gets his tongue electrocuted and destroys a whole droid army, marching on the windows xp background -by accident.

>fart jokes

worst one ever, Jar Jar steps into poo in Mos Isley...

>that line is supposed to be comic

I don't like sand, it's coarse and it's rough - and it gets everywhere!

Supposedly comic too? There's a hundred more where that came from..

>Didn't change anything. Midichlorians aren't the force.

>It was possible he was concieved by the midi-chlorians. -Qui Gon Jin

Saying they weren't the force is like saying the holy spirit isn't god, you're sort of right, but really missing the point, they're part of the of the force and a direct intermediary, without which the jedis couldn't access the force.

Y'all fucking revisionist faggots.
>>
>>64046740
himself making star wars
>>
>>64046740
How? How is Jar Jar an effective satire of the American political landscape?
>>
>>64042916
And this is really the core of people that hate TFA. Anyone giving it less than a 6/10 is either a try hard or /pol/
>>
>>64046786
How to spot the RLM redditor:
He mentions Jar Jar Poo
Hates the sand line
>>
If you think Force Awakens is supposed to be anything other than A New Hope remake you are fooling yourself.

It is a ramek of A New Hope with some minor changes but all the same major points. Its a good movie on it's own but that fact that is signals a new effort in making star wars movies by people who are capable of making good movies is a great sign.

If the next one is just a remake of Empire then we can start to complain.
>>
>>64046839

There have been female protagonists and black men in Star Wars before

the movie is soulless
>>
>>64041703

As much as I despise the Prequels, this is it. The Force Awakens made me appreciate what the Prequels did right instead of focusing on what it did wrong, like what I've been doing for the past couple of years.
>>
>>64046886
not that anon but this isn't even trying to be b8
stick with the RLM bashing but adding the reddit/tumblr/other 4chan board always makes it seem to me like trying too hard to invalid a person's entire argument in the laziest way possible.

It's like telling Wernher von Braun he doesn't know shit about rockets because he's a Nazi.
>>
>>64045217
I cant remember a single fucking location name other than Jakku. I still remember Tatooine, Hoth, Dagobah, Cloud City and Endor. Its insane how forgetable the new movie eis
>>
>>64043285
>>64043320

Yeah, I remember my friends praising episode 1 initially. Only over the years they became more critical - with the general public.
>>
File: 1450866708685.jpg (165 KB, 800x516) Image search: [Google]
1450866708685.jpg
165 KB, 800x516
>>64041617
Prequels = 4chan
TFA = Reddit

Prequels = PC
TFA = Mac

Prequels = Coke
TFA = Pepsi

Prequels = Filet Mignon
TFA = Big Mac

Prequels = Bill Clinton
TFA = Obama

Prequels = Phil Hartman
TFA = Andy Dick

Prequels = Trump
TFA = Bernie

Prequels = /pol/
TFA = Tumblr

Prequels = Christianity
TFA = Atheism

Prequels = Hitler
TFA = Stalin

Prequels = Anime girls
TFA = Real girls

Prequels = Hentai
TFA = Gay porn

Prequels = Dragon Ball Z
TFA = Naruto

Prequels = DC
TFA = Marvel

Prequels = Genndy Clone Wars
TFA = Johnny Test

Prequels = Simpsons seasons 1-10
TFA = Simpsons season 11-now

Add some more fAm
>>
>Tell someone the prequels aren't that bad and some of the changes made in the OT aren't that bad
>NO IT'S ALL BAD BECAUSE ITS NOT THE SAME
>>
How is Jar Jar Binks not dead or killed in some way.

Is George Lucas protecting him?
>>
>>64046786
>every scene he is in, is atrocious

Overstatement. Jar Jar is actually effective in the first part of the movie as he prevents the story from just being too quiet as it follows the two more serious Jedi and it helps just how calm and collected the Jedi characters are compared to a rube from the sticks like Jar Jar. I admit that he overstays his welcome in TPM, but to say every scene he is in he ruins is almost something of a meme at this point, and not even a very good one..

>he steps in poo

yeah, 2 seconds and one line of "icky, icky goo" really destroys everything in the movie. The part is just there to add to Mos Espa being kind of a filthy place. It's not like the movie is fixated on Jar Jar in that moment saying "HAHAHAHAHA! HE STEPPED IN DOODOO! LAUGH DAMMIT!"

>he gets his tongue electrocuted

Strange, this is one of the few scenes of his that I always noticed more people found more humorous than most of his others.

>>64046792

George is equating those who sell liberty for security with Jar Jar Binks. The fact that Jar Jar earns praise from the Senate in that scene for this motion more a testament to just how far the Senate has fallen.
>>
>>64047070
/tv/ = Reddit
Reddit = /tv/
>>
>>64041617
Agreed sad cunts all over /tv/ dont know why i come here.
>>
>>64046886

I didn't even watch the RLMs on the prequels.
I've watched the prequels the first time in english two weeks before seeing TFA and the poo scene simply stands out as one of the worst jokes in Star Wars ever.. I haven't seen PT for almost 6 years before that.

The sand line is a meme, but it's just so fucking bad, it's the perfect example.

Also:

>How to spot the RLM redditor:
>He mentions Jar Jar Poo

>How not to present any argument at all.

Go die in a fire faggot.
>>
>>64046786
>Saying they weren't the force is like saying the holy spirit isn't god, you're sort of right, but really missing the point, they're part of the of the force and a direct intermediary, without which the jedis couldn't access the force.

And there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>64047008
You have slow friends. We all knew it was disappointing when it came out. We wanted it to be good and it was so clearly not.

Here's a review from Eli Roth right after it came out that captures the gist of the initial reaction http://web.archive.org/web/20000305191203/http://www.leisuresuit.net/Webzine/articles/starwars_rev.shtml
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.