[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lightsaber fights
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (237 KB, 1417x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
237 KB, 1417x700
If anything the prequels did right, was the lightsaber duels. I was underwhelmed by VII's climatic lightsaber fight, now we'll get another two Star Wars movies will arms flailing akimbo with no good choreography
>>
File: rogered.jpg (22 KB, 488x488) Image search: [Google]
rogered.jpg
22 KB, 488x488
>>
File: rita sword.gif (1 MB, 500x209) Image search: [Google]
rita sword.gif
1 MB, 500x209
the lightsaber duels in the prequels were over-choreographed dances with a complete lack of tension and emotion. let's not even talk about the sillyness that was cgi yoda flipping around.

in ep7 they felt more like real sword fights - rough and agressive. they were fucking awesome.
>>
>>64041906

>not feeling tension in the Maul fight with Duel of Fates blaring in the backdrop

Robot detected
>>
>>64041906
>over-choreographed dances with a complete lack of tension and emotion

hello RedditLetterMedia!
>>
This whole thread is bait. No more replies.
>>
>>64041333
>flailing akimbo
Learn what words mean before you use them, you fucking shithead piece of shitfucker shit
>>
>>64041931
How are you supposed to feel something in a fight with evil looking guy vs 2 good looking guys. The stakes weren't really high since if Obi-Wan and Qui Gon died, they would just sent some more Jedi.
>>
>>64042003
sad you can't downboat, reddit?
>>
File: image.jpg (130 KB, 717x623) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130 KB, 717x623
>>64041333
>>
Retard. Fucking kill yourself.
>>
Prequels suck but the fight with darth maul and obi vs anikan are the best in the entire series
>>
File: mace windu hair.png (12 KB, 108x101) Image search: [Google]
mace windu hair.png
12 KB, 108x101
What's with Mace Windu's hair?
>>
>>64041931
I was talking about the characters emotions.
just compare vader vs luke in ep6 with anakin vs obi-wan in ep3. sure ep3 was more fancy and slick but what was supposed to be a huge deal, especially for obi-wan, felt like every other fight.
>>
>>64042131
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0mUVY9fLlw

Wow it's like I'm really watching an amateur wushu competition
>>
File: bravo lucas.gif (479 KB, 438x185) Image search: [Google]
bravo lucas.gif
479 KB, 438x185
>the Original Trilogy had great choreography! It actually looked like the actors were trying to hit each other!
>>
>>64042218
>>
>>64042218
When did anyone say that at all.
>>
Speaking of lightsabers. I am assuming the Lightsaber that Rey got was the one that Luke lost from Cloud City. Im interested how they recovered it and if Luke's hand was still gripping it

And we don't know if Luke still has the Green Lightsaber that he built. And why he chose green as a color. A tribute to Yoda?
>>
Saber fights in order of quality:

Darth Maul vs Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan
Yoda vs Palpatine = Darth Vader vs Luke (ROTJ)
Anakin vs Obi-Wan
Darth Vader vs Luke (Empire)
Darth Vader vs Obi-Wan
Count Dooku vs Obi-Wan and Anakin
Grievous vs Obi-Wan
Tray Tor vs Finn
Kylo vs Finn
Kylo vs Rey

OT fights only used the light sabers, it had weight on them but it gets old fast. PT was flashy sure but it showed the full capability of a jedi in a fight, both light saber training and force powers.

TFA ones was garbage except for Finn's fight with Tray Tor. Suspension of disbelief just gets thrown out of the window when Rey gets hold of Luke's saber. Unless she's confirmed to be a skywalker, there's absolutely no reason for her to have won that fight. Even if she's confirmed, she still couldn't have won with Kylo using his pain to get more powerful.
>>
File: yeh rite.jpg (52 KB, 716x724) Image search: [Google]
yeh rite.jpg
52 KB, 716x724
>>64042313
>Yoda vs Palapatine
>that high
>>
File: jim cameron 32421.jpg (44 KB, 300x355) Image search: [Google]
jim cameron 32421.jpg
44 KB, 300x355
>>64042313
>Yoda vs Palpatine = Darth Vader vs Luke (ROTJ)

are you mental? cgi yoda doing flips was completely ridiculous.
>>
>>64042381
Fuck you, that senate fight was great. I'd put it number 1
>>
The prequels had a bit of weight to them, they weren't executed particularly well but they were heavy and had iconic scenes. Ep 7 added nothing to the saga.
>>
>>64042381
>>64042401

reddit clouds your judgement
>>
After recently rewatching the Anakin/Obi-Wan fight on RotS, I have to say that it is very much lacking in any sort of emotion or gritty realism. When they're floating on those robots and stop to talk for a moment you can clearly see on the close-ups that both of them have no wear and tear, no singes from the sparks and fire and lightsabers, no cuts or smears from all the abuse, not one hair out of place. Thse guys fought for 20 minutes and they're not even heaving or sweating even though they're over a river of lava that should incinerate them at that distance anyway.

All the prequel duels are like that, actually. Block, block, block, block then suddenly a person does a move that goes past the other guy's defense and the fight is finished out of nowhere in one stroke. You never actually understand who has the advantage and who's more powerful or proficient because it's a stalemate all the way to the end.

In the ESB duel Luke was seriously fucked up from all the shit Vader threw at him and even Vader himself got nicked. It actually felt like two people fighting. Yes it wasn't pretty or graceful, but it was effective.

It's the same with the TFA fight - it feels more real and gritty and it's exactly because it's two rather untrained people wailing at eachother. And that's completely logical, because all the great lightsaber masters have been gone for decades. Luke never got trained with a lightsaber so he couldn't teach Kylo either and Rey only had her streetfighting skills. People who claim she and Fin are 'proficient' with a lightsaber out of nowhere are retarded. All they do is swing at eachother becasue Kylo is rather hurt and exhausted and Rey is barely keeping up. And they show signs of battle, they get cut, they sweat, they get covered in snow and shit. It's an actual fight.

Also I'm willing to bet money that in the next film after they both get trained they start actually doing fancy moves and in the third they'll be doing the same flippy shit as Yoda.
>>
>>64042302
> Im interested how they recovered it and if Luke's hand was still gripping it

It basically fell into the trash didn't it?

And Maz is apparently a pirate, so I'm guessing she scavenged it/got it from someone who scavenged it
>>
>>64042590
whoanigga.jpg
>>
The fights between Kylo Ren and Rey and Finn were the best aside from Empire, and probably close to equal with Jedi. It was awesome watching three mainly unskilled, emotionally broken and terrified kids just swinging wildly at each other. I watched it again two nights ago and Rey fuck ed Kylo up multiple times. She gets him in the face, shoulder, arm, etc, but just keeps going because he never loses a limb. Fuck, it was good.
>>
File: download (2).jpg (6 KB, 299x169) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
6 KB, 299x169
>>64042401
>>64042313
>>64042381

"And then I threw the whole senate at him!"

Although the Maul. Qin and Obi Wan fight is my fave. The Yoda, Palpatine fight was really good. So there!

Also like the part when Windu went to arrest Palpatine and the looks on their faces when they got a lot more then they bargained for.

Pict of my favorite bit.

"Stormtrooper.....Stormtrooper...Stormtrooper...Go Fuck Yourself!"
>>
>>64041333

You are retarded. The best lightsaber fights are conversations. They're not about swinging glowly sticks like a video game where gravity doesn't exist. They're a storytelling element. ESB = vader and luke talking, while the lightsaber was a means for them to talk. ROTJ = Vader, Luke, and the Emperor talking, while the lightsaber fight was a means for them to talk.

OP thinks star wars is all about level 12 force push and level 17 force lightning
>>
>>64041333
>I was underwhelmed by VII's climatic lightsaber fight

These were meant to be the least talented wielders of lightsabers in the history of the series.

It is questionable in Kylo Ren ever had any actual combat training. He was a desciple of Luke but Luke probably tought the force kids the way yoda taught him: Meditation and control of emotions. There was no saber training.

Kylo broke away and built his own crude saber mainly to try and emulate Vader. He swung his lightsaber around like a big stick and mostly only used it to kill unarmed people. That final battle was likely the first light saber duel he had ever been in.

Rey was at least a capable fighter (self taught) due to growing up in a tough neighborhood but she was still new to the lightsaber. Fin was a career soldier and probably had some formal hand to hand training along the way, but nothing special.

I am glad they didn't use wushu, fencing, or any other "fancy" moves in the final battle as that would have ruined it. Cutting down trees with errant swings was the best part.
>>
>>64042687
>ESB = vader and luke talking
after the fight

>ROTJ = Vader, Luke, and the Emperor talking
before and after the fight

what else you gonna pull out of your ass?
>>
>>64042969
Try rewatching the movies.
>>
>>64041333
Ep 1 is the best
>>
>>64042003
>/tv/
>not taking the bait
Pick one.
>>
>>64042969

You're wrong. Watch the movies again.
>>
>>64044880
>>64043440

ok, give an example of such dialogue
>>
File: 1445460918989s.jpg (3 KB, 124x125) Image search: [Google]
1445460918989s.jpg
3 KB, 124x125
>>64045148
>I will not fight you
>so you have a twin sister
Are you even trying?
>>
File: wars-3.jpg (43 KB, 620x368) Image search: [Google]
wars-3.jpg
43 KB, 620x368
>>64045148

if you cant be turned, perhaps she will
NEVER

fuck you faggot there's endless examples. watch the fucking scenes you fucking faggot prequel loving faggot.
>>
>>64045314
>>64045304
are you literally brain damaged? that was before the fight not during it
>>
>>64045472

now you're just trolling
>>
>>64042313
YoDa vs Palpatine should have been GOAT because it was like two end game boss meeting each other but they ruined the hype by showing how Yoda and Palpatine fight beforehand. The fact that their fight mostly consist of throwing force shit at eachother and spinning also ruins it.

Darth Maul vs Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan is the best because jedis fighting 2v1 like niggers and obiwan relying on a sucker punch to kill Maul shows how strong he was during a fair fight.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.