[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
POETRY O E T R Y
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: bravojj.png (1 MB, 1363x879) Image search: [Google]
bravojj.png
1 MB, 1363x879
POETRY
O
E
T
R
Y
>>
>>64026756
talking to a friend we realized another level in wich the prequels were mess:
-rey (protagonist) watches han (mentor) die
-luke (protagonist) watches obi (mentor) die
-obi (mentor) wactches qui gon (mentor's mentor) die
>>
>>64026848
It rhymes.
>>
>>64026848
>padawan
>a mentor
I was actually gonna say how OP's example works because all three have the same emotion behind them. The prequel pottery that fucks up is when George used the same visual with no emotion. Like when the Anakin vs Dooku fight starts to have low lighting like the carbon freezing chamber. Instead of father and son's first fight it's just bad guy vs protagonist.
>>
>>64026848
han isn't even really a mentor.
>>
>>64026848
>prequels
>mess
Go away Reddit
>>
>>64027311
not strictly, but is certainly the embodiment of the paternal figure in that specific movie
>>
Congrats, you spotted it
>>
>>64027348
Qui-Gon was that for Obi-Wan. He's not strictly the main character, but I don't think it's necessary
>>
>>64027311
Yeah he just feels like an old guy she met for a day.

In Phantom Menace it works because it's clear Obi Wan has been training with Qui Gon for some time, they have a solid relationship.

In New Hope Luke isn't with Obi Wan for very long but their relationship is bolstered by Luke's desire to get off bumfuck Tattooine and have space adventures and Obi Wan is clearly an avenue for that, has tales about his father to tell him, and can teach him about the force which he is eager to learn.

In Awakens Han likes Rey and offers her a job, I guess, which she considers but feels she should refuse because fuck the call to adventure, gotta wait for MUH FAMILY. Han doesn't even get to do any mentoring, he's just an old dude who appears to be in the role without actually being in the role
>>
>>64026756
Pottery, as in Harry Potter. As in: MAGIC
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7ZW1gtCljs
>>
>>64027572
You didn't get how she sort of saw Han as a father figure? The movie literally said as much
>>
What about the scene when Kylo chases Rey in the forest? It was exactly like Luke seeing Darth Vader on Dagobah
>>
>>64027806
What has she learned from him? Besides it all being real.
>>
>>64026848
Obi Wan wasn't a mentor in the prequels though.

But he also wasn't a protagonist. He barely does anything until the second movie.
>>
>>64027806
Yeah the entire 5 hours she spent with him!
>>
For all the talk about its lack of originality, I must concede that Han's death is far more effective than Qui-Gon's death (and perhaps just as effective as Obi-Wan's). I mean, just compare the Han scene to Qui-Gon's...

- A character we've just met, who is childless and wifeless and has no discernible emotional life, is killed by a Satanic monster who he never even speaks to.

Versus...

- A beloved cultural icon, one we've revered for decades, who we know and love and understand, is killed by his own son as he attempts to reconcile with him.

There are many problems with TFA, but Han's death wasn't one of them. I just hope it pays off and has lasting ripples in the next two movies.
>>
>>64027572
Okay, I'm gonna play doubles advocate for a second here.

There's a bit more between Han and Rey in the flick. She can hotwire the Falcon, and there are moments where he recognizes her proficiency and appreciates it. He gives her a blaster and tells her he knows she can handle herself. He volunteers to help her with the whole droid mission thing, when her whole life she's been dealing with people who're trying to rip her off.

I'm not saying Awakens is great, or that they did a stellar job with the characters. But there's more there, on screen, in the film, that you're not giving credit to.
>>
>>64027311
>You feel like he's the faher you never had
>>
>>64027896
that's the thing. qui gon's death has no real impact in the characters since 1. obi isn't the protagonist 2. anakin, who is, isn't affected at all by his death.
>>
>>64027880

Not sure she learned much, it was more what he represented to her than what he taught her. An old father figure who gives her approval and purpose by taking her away from Jakku

>>64027922

Its a kids movie, and even still people connect sometimes. Hard to believe I know
>>
>>64027964
It only works meta-textually, though. Like, as a storyteller, JJ is kinda cheating leeching off the work done by the previous movies
>>
>>64027331
Helloooooo my fellow redditor! Why are you pretending to be a contrarian on this website?
>>
>>64028176
>le contrarian meme
Hello Reddit
>>
>>64027974
> doubles advocate
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.