[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Jabba's place >That final space battle >Luke's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 13
File: goat.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
goat.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>Jabba's place
>That final space battle
>Luke's final confrontation with Vader and Palpatine
>Vader's redemption
When will the RotJ is bad meme finally die ?
Also prequelbabies who put 3 over 6 are not invited
piss off
>>
>>64012424
You forgot.
>Endor
>Ewoks
>Endor
>Ewoks

It's 65% of the whole film.
Your defence includes the beginning and the ending of the film (which are perfect).

The actual "meat" of the movie is the problem.
>>
>>64012424
You forgot the GOAT spacebattle, also if people excuse rey because she is CUTE we can do the same for ewoks. I don't see why Han is "ruined", he's been through suffering, love, friendship, and now is a leader with people depending on him, if course he isn't the same scoundrel, he's grown as a character

I think it's the best tbqh familia (inb4 hate replies)
>>
>>64012424
Jabba's palace is boring shit and only serves to resolve the "cliffhanger" ending of frozen Han from the previous flick.

The rest of what you wrote is all true but literally happens at the very end of the film. You have to put up with all of the boring Endor teddy bear Ewok garbage beforehand. Speeder bikes are kind of cool just really fucking stupid flying among redwood trees and high speeds making it really fucking dumb.

It's a good film only for its final acts. But even TPM had a great final act in the Maul saber battle. All of the prequels have decent final saber battles.
>>
>Jabba's place
>good
>>
>>64012424
6 is the worst of the OT no doubt but anyone saying that it's worse than episode 3 was literally born in 2000

3 has some of the worst writing, acting, directing, pacing, editing and direction of any movie I've seen in my entire life
>>
>>64012690
>>Jabba's place
>>good
This, it all felt like filler
>>
I never understood people who praised Ep. III, all of the issues of eps I and II are there, some are magnified. Sure, the big transformation everyone was waiting for is there, but it sucks so god damn much I don't see it as a plus, but as just one more reason to hate it. Ep II sucks, but it's not like I'm mourning the way they handled Clone Wars, but Ep III confirms Anakin to be just a faggot who "yes sir" his way from Jedi to Sith in the most ridiculous possible way.
>>
File: aotc.webm (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
aotc.webm
2 MB, 320x240
>>64012668
bretty good final battles
>>
>>64012668
>Jabba's palace is boring shit and only serves to resolve the "cliffhanger" ending of frozen Han from the previous flick.
The point of Jabba's Palace was to showcase how much Luke had progressed between films, both mentally and as a warrior.
>>
File: Yowza_Jedi_Rocks.png (859 KB, 910x546) Image search: [Google]
Yowza_Jedi_Rocks.png
859 KB, 910x546
>>64012424
Koo nee tang, na' na' na'
>>
Also they reused the death star

Should have done something different
>>
>>64012825
>Cuts off Mace Windu's arm
>"what have I done"
>in 3 minutes proceeds to swear allegiance to the Dark Side and go on a genocide of his former Jedi comrades and younglings
>"from my point of view the Jedi are evil"
>Padme dies anyways and he doesn't give a shit although it was his main motivation for turning to the dark side
Vader literally got tricked into being evil
>>
File: 04.jpg (45 KB, 480x220) Image search: [Google]
04.jpg
45 KB, 480x220
>george lucas put gungans in episode 6
i'm fine with him making 3 shitty prequels but fucking over the OT was a much worse crime
>>
>>64013253
>Special edition
>>
The only thing that bugs me about ROTJ is the second Death Star. It would have been better to do something else, like give Sheev a proper palace/temple and throne room in a proper capital and have the climax occur there, like the concept art had. It just feels lazy.
>>
>>64012690
The desert rescue/escape is goat
>>
ROTJ is my favorite star wars movie for the reasons you just listed, but Empire and ANH are better films.
>>
File: maxlandistweet.png (33 KB, 727x205) Image search: [Google]
maxlandistweet.png
33 KB, 727x205
>>
>>64012424
>When will the RotJ is bad meme finally die ?
When they remove all of Endor from the official cut
>>64013328
Historically when someone hits sith mode for the first time their rationality gets fucked and they just do whatever is suggested to them for short term gain.
If you slowly lower yourself I to it instead of just diving in head first like Qui-Gon you're set
>>
If you can't handle ewoks you're a faggot. And all most people that bitch about them apparently didn't watch the movie because they didn't steamroll the stormtroopers. The walkers were fucking up their shit until they whittled them down with traps and Chewie managed to commandeer one.
>>
>>64012424
>Also prequelbabies who put 3 over 6 are not invited
But the official order is 5>4>3>6>7>2>1. Why are you mad over something so simple?
>>
>>64012784
I saw RotJ during its original theatrical run. I am in my mid-30s so I was too young to really comprehend it but I do remember parts of it including the Ewoks which I liked at the time and saw it several times over the years after.

RotJ has a tolerable opening but it drags on too long just to finish up a plot line from the previous film. The majority of the film is terribly boring Endor shit with Ewoks.

AotC does have problems from the other prequels and I disliked it ten years ago but overall it is the better film filled with better moments and more memorable scenes mostly involving Anakin's turn. But even the action scenes are cool. The opening bro space battle and all the stuff that happens on the ship. The wookies, Grevious, Order 66. Palpatine. The Obi-Wan and Anakin battle. There is weakness. The love dialogue the cringy saving Padme shit and the way the twins are born. Yoda exiling himself. But it's a better film by a long shot than Jedi
>>
>>64013149
They could've done it in five minutes and it would've been five times more effective
>>
>>64013487
3 comes before 7 tho
>>
>>64013427
But Sheev has far too much ego to have let his crushing of the rebels and perfect trap spring without him getting a front row seat to gloat about it to every imperial in earshot
>>
>>64013647

Nah bruv
>>
>>64013647
No it doesn't
>>
>>64013647
>>64013615
>>64013607
ebin maymay
>>
>>64013487

OFFICIAL LIST COMING THROUGH

5 > 4 > 7 > 6 > 3 > 2 > 1

ALTERNATE LIST THAT IS JUST AS VALID

5 > 4 = 7 > 6 > 3 > 2 > 1
>>
File: 1450067375522.png (46 KB, 317x293) Image search: [Google]
1450067375522.png
46 KB, 317x293
>>64012424

What if I like Episode III and VI better than V?
>>
Can we at least all agree it starts 5>4? There is no argument here right?
>>
>>64012424
Because that and the speeder chase are the only good parts of the movie.
They spend too much time wrapping shit up with Jabba + Ewoks, and most of the cast except Luke don't really do anything in the entire movie.
>>
>>64013487
>6 over 4
>>
>>64012424
It's really just that it has bad pacing. It's long but the issue is it feels fucking long
>>
>>64013855
5>4 is the normie pleb opinion
>>
Eo 6 was the GOAT film. Everything else is a meme especially ep 5
>>
File: 1450454932843.png (117 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1450454932843.png
117 KB, 500x500
>>64013855
>>64013761

TRUE PATRICIAN LIST:

6 > 4 > 3 > 5 > 1 > 2

SHEEVTRICIAN LIST:

6 > 3 > 2 > 1 > 5 > 4
>>
>>64013855
5>4 yes, but 7 is bretty gud. 4=7

5>4=7>6=3>2>1=holiday special
>>
>>64014153

>1=holiday special

*tips fedora
>>
>>64013913
>>64013922
>>64013984
Faggots, all of you. True tippers.
>>
>>64014153
>4=7
Naw m8. Especially when 7 has almost no original ideas or memorable moments
>>
>>64013346
>WEESA FREE!
Lucas confirmed it was Jar Jar who said that
>>
File: Gary Kurtz on Star Wars.png (38 KB, 630x734) Image search: [Google]
Gary Kurtz on Star Wars.png
38 KB, 630x734
>>
>>64014366

That original script sounds fucking horrible.
>>
>>64014424
The original script was definitely better than what we eventually got. The finale was set in the galactic capital (called Had Abbadon instead of Coruscant at the time) and featured two death stars instead of one. The idea of just having another death star is terrible and lazy but at least two would have been a more interesting visual.
>>
>>64013708
le meem
>>
>>64014669
>The original script was definitely better than what we eventually got.

It sounds unnecessarily edgy and cynical.

>The finale was set in the galactic capital (called Had Abbadon instead of Coruscant at the time)

Lucas still wanted to do this, but it would have been impossible to have something like Coruscant given the limitations at the time.

>and featured two death stars instead of one. The idea of just having another death star is terrible and lazy but at least two would have been a more interesting visual.

The unfinished death star is more impressive visually than the first completed death star. Adding two copies of the first death star would be less unique looking,
>>
>>64013487
By what rationale is AotC better than TPM.

They're both pretty awful, but TPM feels like an actual film
>>
>>64012424
-Jabba's Palace takes like 1/3 of the movie for something it shoukd have taken like 1/5 at most
-Luke's plan to save Han makes no sense, even 32 years after the release of the movie
-Harrison and Carrie does not give a fuck about their characters anymore
-Boba Fett in Jabba's Palace because fuck you
-Leia and C3PO are allowed to follow Han on a critical mission for the Rebellion because whatever
-Yoda takes like hours to die
-Leia is Luke's sister because Lucas' laziness to solve Yoda's "no, there is another" in ESB without making another trilogy
-Obi-Wan being given lazy lines to solve ESB's retconning
-Ewoks
-Chewbacca's poor Tarzan joke
-The Emperor being a fragile old man who can release electric rays from his hands, instead of the bureuocrat, smart, manipulative mastermind that is suggested in SW and ESB
-Death Star II
-The space battle of Endor makes no sense in many parts
-Pathetic attempts at suggesting Luke falling towards the dark side
-After the Death Star is destroyed the movie doesn't even care about explaining the aftermath of the space battle, it cuts right to the celebration and Vader's funeral at Endor

Sure thing, OP. Suuuuuure thing.
>>
>>64013855
i think 4 was better than 5
>>
>>64014992

The reason Landis gave is that TPM is more boring.
>>
>>64013984
>Sheevtrician
>2 over 1
TPM is as much Palpatine's movie as ROTJ is
>>
>>64014992
Watch them. I agreed until I recently watched all the prequels and TPM is easily the weakest save for the lightsaber battle at the end. It's very slow and boring compared to AotC. I have hated AotC for years but it's mostly due to the unbelievable romance and cringe worthy "love" dialogue.
>>
>>64012424
rotj isnt bad.

its just not as good as anh, empire or tfa
>>
>>64015997
It's slow but it's a real movie instead of a cgi fuccboi
>>
>>64016115
They're both Pixar movies in terms of cgi visuals but in no way is TPM more of a real movie than AotC. They're both real movies. The prequels are full of flaws and scenes that are tough to watch mostly due to dialogue. But there actually are three good movies inside of them if you can look past these
>>
>>64012424

my favorite star wars movie, OP is mah nigga

>dat space battle
>dat tense forest moon battle
>dat vader-luke-sheev combo
>dat moment where luke flips his fucking shit because vader mentions Leia
>>
>>64013370
>only version the millennial RotJ-bashers have seen
>>
>>64016028
People have this idea here where if you rate a movie higher than another, you think that movie is complete dogshit.
I'll always rate the OT higher than the PT but that doesn't mean I don't get some enjoyment out of the PT.
>>
It's a weird sort of mix of some of the best and some of the worst the Original Trilogy had to offer. On the one hand, pretty much every scene of Luke's story was absolutely fantastic. We finally got to see this mop-headed goober who got his shit kicked in by Sand People become the disciplined and righteous warrior he'd trained so hard to be and tear apart the machinations of an astoundingly charismatic villain through sheer force of will. It felt like a grand finale of all the themes that had been presented during the movies.

But everything not involving Luke was just... poor. The second Death Star out of nowhere was an uncreative rehash which served no real purpose other than to give the protagonsists and antagonists a convenient can to cram into, the scene in Jabba's palace felt way too removed from the action going on elsewhere and felt as though it should have been in the second movie and then there's the Battle on Endor...

Oh god, the battle on Endor. I think the real problem with this battle is that it highlighted once and for all the issue that all three films had - The Empire never once felt like a real threat. Sure, Vader was scary and the Death Star was big but aside from those two things, The Empire always seemed so clumsy and inept. Seeing The Empire's most crack-squad of technological might being swept away by a swarm of 3ft-tall fuzzballs with sticks just made all of our protagonists efforts up until this point seem like an absolute joke.
>>
Had the Ewoks been replaced with Wookies and Wookie tactics instead of Homealone shit the movie wouldve felt less like childrens movie and just been a good movie, its canon that the Empire was bested by a fucking tribe of literal teddy bears. Also get Han and Leia out of there, they had no real purpose and it kept taking you away from anything interesting.

The problem is that these things are in the movie, and it really detracts from all the good stuff.
>>
>>64012424
>>64012424
>>64012424
>>
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 900x900
>>64014366
A New Hope didn't have Episode IV in the crawl until Empire came out.
>>
>another death star was lame
>ewoks were lame
>Boba's death was lame

The movie was still good, but the ewoks really kill it for me. I do enjoy 3 better than 6 so fuck off OP. The ewoks are that bad. It would be like if the monkeys from Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull took up 50% of the movie.
>>
>>64017138
'79
>>
>>64012424
Because the internet has warped milennials minds to instantly believe Empire is a masterpiece and the other two aren't very good when in reality all three are equally great and make up for the best trilogy of all time.
Sadly, some juvenile reasons to hate on the movie are Ewoks which are genuinely entertaining characters compared to stuff like BB8, Kylo Ren, C3P0, and almost every character in the prequels.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (61 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
61 KB, 1280x720
>>64012424
The prequels are comfy as fuck. Fun storytelling, awesome worlds, great characters, awesome action, and meaningful moments. True Star Wars.

I noticed that before 2009, a lot of people liked the prequels. Many were disappointed, but few outright hated them, and like I said, A LOT of people were willing to say they liked them. A thread like this couldn't exist today:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.72432-Am-I-the-only-SW-prequels-fan?page=3

Ever since Plinky the fat fuck made his reviews, Redditors have constantly linked to them, as if "Another guy said these movies suck so they suck!!!1111 I can't form my own opinions lol11!" He nitpicks the movies so much, his fans don't realize that you can nitpick ANY good movie to that level and it'll look bad.

prequels4life
>>
>>64018180
>I noticed that before 2009, a lot of people liked the prequels. Many were disappointed, but few outright hated them
Bullshit. ALOT of people were vocal about their hatred when AotC was still playing in theaters.
>>
>>64012424
The parts with Luke were based as fuck, just a shame it's hampered down by everything else.
>>
>>64013253
allowa
>>
>>64018180
Agreed. It's the hip thing to say now.

The prequelhaters nitpick the prequels to death, but a second (and now third) Death star is OK to them. And ewoks? Fine. It's weird.
>>
>>64012424
Other than the Ewoks scenes, it's pretty good. The barge escape scene is too fucking cool.
>>
>>64012424
EWOKS
W
O
K
S
>>
File: 1448186478635.jpg (163 KB, 1020x735) Image search: [Google]
1448186478635.jpg
163 KB, 1020x735
SORRY PLEBS, ONLY TRUE ORDER COMING THROUGH

5>4>6=7>3>1>2
>>
>>64019528
>second (and now third) Death star is OK to them. And ewoks? Fine.
No, we all acknowledge them as flaws but they ultimately don't take away from the bigger picture. The prequels just flat out don't work altogether.
>>
>>64012424
Why does no one talk about the escape scene in RotJ? It's one of my favorites from the OT.
>>
File: atat-assault.jpg (428 KB, 400x672) Image search: [Google]
atat-assault.jpg
428 KB, 400x672
Official ranking: 4 = 5 > 6 > 7 > Polio > 1 = 2 = 3
>>
>>64012424
The best.
>>
>>64013647
HES THE TRAITOR AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>64019744
RotJ is far worse than any of the prequels. The ewoks and the second death star ruined the entire thing.
>>
>>64013487
>Anything under 2
>>
>>64018180
This is true. RLM could apply the same scrutiny to the OT and Coke up with similar criticisms. The prequels are flawed as fuck but so is the OT. There is just something about the OT that makes you look past these flaws that the prequels are lacking in. Dialogue and cheesy love shit bring prequels down as well as their predictability (we know how they ultimately end up). Some people hate the cgi but they're visually pretty great. Lucas wanted to show an evolution in spacecraft through the prequels to the OT and it works even if the crafts are not as memorable.

RLm was highly opinionated and people are parroting a lot of his opinions that otherwise nobody said before the Plinkett reviews. Like nobody said people don't care about Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon and Maul battling or that the two former character should be combined into Obi-Wan until they said it
>>
>>64019861
>RotJ is far worse than any of the prequels

No.
>>
RotJ is both great and shit movie.

The end part with Vader/Luke/Emperor is great and really in line with ESB.

The rest though....what the fuck.

It should've been Luke's movie, not this garbage we got.
>>
>>64012424
>When will the RotJ is bad meme finally die ?
Not whilst Reddit exists.
>>
>>64018180

I think the reaction to the prequels is overstated (opinions carried to illogical extremes on 4chan!? my word!).

The Phantom Menace was goofy fun and ROTS was well-done. But I tried watching Attack of the Clones last night and it is completely unwatchable. That film alone is less than half the film 6 was.
>>
>>64012424
I like you, OP. You're a good friend.
>>
>>64019861
shit trolling or shit taste

either way you're a piece of shit
>>
>>64019861
>accuses others of nitpicking
>nitpicks
>>
>>64019861
spotted the cuck
>>
File: 1449027331672.gif (1 MB, 718x404) Image search: [Google]
1449027331672.gif
1 MB, 718x404
>>64013984

>6 > 4 > 3 > 5 > 1 > 2

I can see it, and it's blowing my mind a little
>>
>>64012424
>Han Solo isn't useful in the movie and his character isn't really "there". Can't remember for sure but I think his wise cracking jokes weren't part of the film
>Cinematography took a huge dive, it just looks really boring most of the time and the millenium falcon cockpit shots look really cheap because they didn't set up lighting properly.
>Vader also has loads of reflections coming from his helmet, whereas in a new hope they helmet was matted to stop that from happening.
>The battle on Endor really sucks when you compare to the battle of hoth, there is no tension to those scenes and its just ewoks wrecking things with ease, even the stormtroopers
>single biome planet, lets make it only forest this time!
>The Jabba part of the movie effectively serves no purpose to the story, they don't really "need" han solo for anything other than to save a friend
>matte paintings were more obvious, specifically when han and lando are talking infront of it, they used a real model in ESB
honestly the only good things were the space battle, the speederbike sequence and all of luke's scenes with vader and the emperor
>>
>>64020351
Go suck an ewok cock you fucking faggot.
>>
>>64020540
>copying and pasting your garbage post from the other ROTJ thread
Fuck off normie with your shit taste. Go make some 'Han shot first' image macros for your Facebook account.
>>
>>64020605
they shot at the same time, haven't you seen the blu ray?
>>
How do we fix Jedi?

-Kill Han

-No Death Star 2

-nix ewoks

-Confront the Emperor at the Imperial Throne, not what looks like a maintenance shaft

-Have Vader's action be one of moral motivation -- he's going to kill Palpatine, but does he do it for Sith reasons or Jedi reasons?

What else?
>>
>>64020641

>Have Vader's action be one of moral motivation -- he's going to kill Palpatine, but does he do it for Sith reasons or Jedi reasons?

It's shit.
>>
>>64012424
The major problems with it are as follows:

>Too many characters who do nothing of note
Harrison Ford was right, Han should have died sooner, Lando took up his role essentially in the end anyways and it made him and Chewy sort of irrelevant in the film.

>Jabba's palace
While it's a great set and first act it does drag on too long for not a lot of plot, all that happens is Han is saved and that's about it. It's got some of the best stuff in the film but its far too long for too little plot.

>Ewoks
Ridiculous

>Endor
Just gave another front for the ending which kind of made the shifting tones between Vader and Luke, The Space Battle, and then the ground battle not mesh well together. I guess it was an attempt to shake up the ending a little so it didn't feel like a total New Hope remake but it still didn't work well.

>A second death star
Just uncreative in general, I mean Lucas blew his wad in A New Hope blowing up the Death Star in the first one desu, but ESB managed to have a satisfying story even without a big super weapon blowing up. It doesn't ruin the movie but it doesn't help it either

The rest was good and effects wise its easily the best in the OT same with sound design as well. Leia is Luke's sister was a nice enough twist though not nearly as well pulled off as the Vader twist. The Emperor was great and the final confrontation with Luke and Vader is amazing and one of the best moments in the trilogy. It's not a bad film but when compared to the first films in the OT its just much sloppier and seems less focused. Still better than anything in the PT though.
>>
the jabba sequence is sick, as is the final confrontation
i didn't really like everything in between
empire is better
>>
>>64020641
give yoda purpose in the movie other than to spout exposition
remove lando from the movie
remove nien nunb
>>
>>64012424
2 great moments don't make a great movie.
>>
>>64022489
These moments make half of the movie. The filler transition sections were good.
It's only ewoks that turn it down a bit, and I never got the level of hate they get.
>>
>>64012821
I dunno I think Star Wars has great filler scenes, it's like random shit you gotta deal with on your big space adventure.
>trash compactor
>wampa cave
>asteroid tunnel
>Jabba's palace

Even podracing was one of the good scenes in episode 1.
>>
>>64012668
>Jabba's palace is boring shit
hahaha wtf

it also has the best music of the whole saga.
>>
>>64019726
100% agree
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.