[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Rey a Mary Sue A Mary Sue is an idealized fictional character,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tv/ - Television & Film

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: Rey.png (2 MB, 1481x797) Image search: [Google]
Rey.png
2 MB, 1481x797
Is Rey a Mary Sue

A Mary Sue is an idealized fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through extraordinary abilities. Basically, a “Mary Sue” is a female character who is great at everything and experiences no resistance in her journey.
>>
Yes, that literally defines her character
>>
"Mary Sue" and "lazily written" are two different things yo
>>
The roots of this go back to fan fiction, where [mainly] female writers would write themselves into Harry Potter or Twilight storylines and, as a form of wish-fulfillment (along with being bad storytellers) made their characters amazing at everything. Cause, you know, it’s funner that way!
>>
yeah, not exactly a big secret
>>
FUCKING STOP CALLING HER A MARY SUE YOU SEXIST PIGS
YOU JUST HATE A STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER YOU FUCKING VIRGINS
>>
>>64009294
this

she's not an expert at everything, people don't love her automatically, she's not exceptionally beautiful to everyone

she's not a mary sue, just a protagonist who happens to succeed because she's the protagonist

also mary sue isn't exclusively female
>>
>>64009448
The Equalizer, and you could argue that that protagonist was a “Gary Sue.” He was great at everything. He encountered no resistance.
>>
>>64009448
>Literally has never fired a blaster before
>Gets into shoot out
>Forgets the safety
>Kills several trained soldiers

She mary sue bruh
>>
>>64009592
>Never piloted before
>Bumpy start for a minute
>Manages to control the ship from there on out
>>
>>64009224

Would a Mary Sue eat with her mouth open? that's the opposite of idealized
>>
>>64009448
>knows the falcon better than Han
>shoots better than trained soldiers despite never holding a blaster
>not only resists Kylo, but overpowers him in terms of force, despite never having jedi training
>manipulates a stormtrooper with low effort
>destroys Kylo in lightsaber combat
>everybody likes her

Yes, she absolutely is.
>>
>>64009448
>she's not an expert at everything
Except piloting, engineering, also learns force powers and lightsaber fighting faster than anyone before in the franchise
>people don't love her automatically
Except BB8, Finn, Han and Chewie, i.e. every plot-relevant positive character
>she's not exceptionally beautiful to everyone
Except the only young male with an important role in the movie falls in love with her from the first sight.
>>
Explain to me how Luke wasn't just as much a Mary Sue in New Hope.
>>
>>64009592
>>64009836
>>64010164
these
>>
Arguing about anything in Star Wars that could be explained with "MUH FORCE" is dumb and pointless. If you're not fine with it go watch some real science fiction and let usus have some fun.
>>
>>64010229
>not good at everything
>except the things she was good at
well, that's a tautology
rest is just goalposts
>>
>>64009224
Why does it matter if she's female? Is the same writing and characterization acceptable if it's a male? Separating Gary Stus from Mary Sues is stupid. Just call them both Mary Sue.

How come no one is calling Indiana Jones a Mary Sue? What's the difference between power fantasy/wish fulfillment and mary sues?

I'm not trying to take a side, I just don't get what this is. When people say Mary Sue just means someone that does everything right that doesn't fit Rey. When people say Mary Sue is someone everyone likes and is an insert for the writer, that doesn't fit Rey. Is she an insert for the audience? That's not part of any definition of Mary Sue I've heard.
>>
>>64010229
Don't forget how Kylo actually cares about her
>gets mad when he hears they scaped with a woman
>so you're the girl everybody's been talking about
>tries to make her join him
>>
>>64010235

>my friend doesn't like you
>I don't like you

Even kylo ren liked Rey
>>
>>64009224
Rey is the daughter of Obi Wan.
>>
>>64009224
>a young or low-rank person who saves the day through extraordinary abilities
Like a Jedi?
>>64010164
She doesn't know the Falcon better than Han. She knows the modifications made since he last had it.

How do you know she hasn't had Jedi training?
>>
>>64010535
Literally every Sith (I still don't think that Kylo is a real Sith) tries to make a strong force user join him.
>>
>>64010664
Well after one minute she manages to pilot the thing through a destroyed star destroyer. And she fixes every problem with the falcon after a few seconds.

And at least she doesn't remember getting training.
>>
>>64010502
>goalposts
Are you genuinely retarded?

It's like saying an obvious mary sue in Harry Potter fanfiction isn't a mary sue because she can only play quidditch, not basketball.

She's good at all things that count in Star Wars universe, loved by characters that are relevant in the Star Wars universe, and attractive for males whose attraction means anything to the audience. The fact random slug monster and the granny don't want to fuck her doesn't make her any less mary sue.
>>
>>64010664

She wasn't shown to have any training in the film, so you can fuck off with that fan fiction until we are shown it. The burden of proof is on you to prove she did, not on me to prove she didn't ya cunt
>>
>>64010775
>everybody loves her
>except these characters, but they don't count
that's goalposts son
>>
>>64009224
pissed me off how she could inexplicably use the force better than kylo or literally anyone else for that matter
>>
Remove the scene where she force mind controls James Bond with zero training and it's fine.
>>
>>64010526

Read >>64009568
>>
>>64010947
and the scene where she mind crawls Kylo, and the scene where she goes all "muh force" and beats Kylo literally because he mentioned the word "force".
>>
>>64010235
Fails or needs help constantly:

Gets fucked up by Tusken Raiders (saved by Ben).
Gets fucked up at the Cantina (saved by Ben).
Gets saved from his own rescue mission (by Leia).
Gets saved from the trash compactor (by droids).
Gets saved from standing around like an idiot being shot at by stormtroopers (by Ben).
Gets saved from TIE fighters (by his wingmate).
Gets saved from Darth Vader (by Han).
Gets told how to blow up the Death Star (by Ben).

He gets told he's an idiot constantly by Han (sometimes deservedly, like when he's backseat flying in the escape from Tatooine).

And the one thing he really truly did right all movie - blowing up the Death Star - was just him doing something he already did in his free time (hitting a 2m wide target).
>>
>>64012402
And he gets saved IN the trash compactor from the tentacle monster.
>>
>>64010664
If she had Jedi training why didn't she use her Jedi mind trick to get more portions and have the guy give her a spaceship to leave the planet?
>>
>obsessed with buzz words

why not just call it lazy writing that doesnt give her any sense of progression through the movie, ultimately making her boring

like others have said, if they just removed the jedi mind trick scene and made her suck more at light saber fighting I think it would have been fine.

All the new heroes in TFA were basically the same, good at everything and 100% likeable with no flaws or progression.
>>
>>64010930
What characters didn't like her,. hell Kylo even liked her and he is the bad guy.
>>
>>64010235
He's not exceptionally skilled at everything he does and fails constantly. Even in Empire he gets his shit pushed in by Vader after his training with Yoda.
>>
File: 1325497775429.jpg (195 KB, 569x571) Image search: [Google]
1325497775429.jpg
195 KB, 569x571
>gary sue
>>
She would've been fine before
>Overpowers Kylo in force mindfuckery instantly
>Learns and does the jedi mind trick instantly
>Learns how to use force anything instantly
>Learns how to use a lightsaber faster than any other character ever and overpowers someone whose been training for years

Reminder she thought Jedi and the previous war were just fairy tails and myths.

The whole
>Don't hold my hand thing, I'm a strong woman who needs no man
thing was funny the first time and then she did it a few more times and it stopped being funny.
>>
>>64012860
>fairy tails
>>
>>64012942
nice catch anon

To my defense my phone auto corrected taels into tails and not tales.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.